New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Post-Apocalyptic setting with Starfinder rules.

I've been thinking about re-starting a long-dormant post-apocalyptic campaign of mine with the Starfinder rules.

The premise is that our Earth (in an alternative reality - obviously) had a global catastrophe (could be related to The Gap) which caused humanity to go near extinct. During the cataclysm cosmic radiation and other forces mutated the majority of the remaining survivors into three distinct races: halflings, humans, and orcs.

Historians have lost track of time and over the ages, these races have established new cultures both on their own and together. Orcs, who eventually degenerated into savages, occasionally raided the early settlements of the other races and sometimes captured them for whatever ends. Half-orcs and goblins emerged in the process.
    Likewise, from the peaceful intermingling of halflings and humans dwarves were born.

Unlike traditionally, all "earthlings" (races from Earth) age the same rate as humans do, instead of as the rest of their distant equivalents. Otherwise, their stats are the same.

As the remnants of the ancient humans were already highly advanced, in time the first androids were created as well.

So this leaves the players to choose from 6 races (excluding orcs) as detailed in the Starfinder rules.

Space travel is a thing, but the means are lost and it falls to the PC's to recover that knowledge and technology before they can start the real adventure into the vast universe.

Once that happens, which won't be very soon (at the earliest, after 5th level or so), the campaign will fast-forward to a point where they are sucked into a wormhole which sends them to the Pact Worlds System. From there, the rest of the Starfinder Rules are added into the game.
    |
    |
    |
    |
    What do you think? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-20 at 04:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Post-Apocalyptic setting with Starfinder rules.

Hello? Anyone? No one?

If this is in the wrong sub-forum, even telling where to post instead would help (Although, it would seem that Giants in this particular area are more oriented to debating over rules and only rules, and pretty much ignoring all the flavor, which is just sad... please, prove me wrong)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-23 at 12:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

While I do like the appeal of mixing post-apocalypse with fantasy and high tech, I don't think it´s too good an idea importing the standard PF fantasy races over to Earth. I try to imagine Fallout - now with elves and gnomes, fighting against.... well, what exactly? Classic fantasy monsters?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    While I do like the appeal of mixing post-apocalypse with fantasy and high tech, I don't think it´s too good an idea importing the standard PF fantasy races over to Earth. I try to imagine Fallout - now with elves and gnomes, fighting against.... well, what exactly? Classic fantasy monsters?
    Not exactly. If you had read the entire OP through you would know that only 6 races are initially allowed, and two of them are standard Starfinder races: Android and Human. Elves and Gnomes are not part of them. I know I didn't say this earlier, because I felt it wasn't necessary given the circumstances; So I'll say it now: Elves and Gnomes are considered "aliens" due to their more magical origins and racial abilities, and since their homeworld is in an entirely different galaxy and the Drift doesn't allow fast travel between galaxies, even the long-lived elves have not (yet) reached Earth. This is also why "earthlings" are slightly different from the rest of those races in the core Starfinder rules. But those differences are vanishingly small - and largely irrelevant to actual gameplay.

They won't be fighting standard fantasy monsters. While they are in this Earth they will be fighting against Fallout-ish monsters (mutations basically) and other humanoid creatures of their own kind, for the time being (people can be "evil" too, you know). Eventually though, when they get out of Earth's orbit and out of Solar System, they will end up into Pact Worlds - which is the Core star system of Starfinder. However, as I said above, it won't be Drift that lets them do that. It will involve a Wormhole, as I said in the OP. From that point forward, everything that is Core to Starfinder will be present, including much more sci-fi monsters. I like to mix a certain level of realism with fantasy and fantasy with certain level of realism. It's just how I roll.

But you got the gist of it otherwise pretty much correct. To elaborate on the status of this Earth, imagine putting Skyrim and Fallout into a blender with the post-apocalyptic movies like the Waterworld and Mad Max. Or, in other words, imagine Dark Sun with more tech and a bit more magic.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-23 at 03:58 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

My thoughts:

- You're painting with a rather broad brush when you say this subforum "ignores all the flavor." Rules discussions are more common because they require less subjective taste, that's all - there's more to actually, you know, discuss.

- I personally like the idea of starting a Starfinder campaign "on the ground" and not worrying about all the space exploration and high-tech computers stuff until later. It'll give the players time to get comfortable with their characters and the normal combat, social etc. rules first. This is especially true for players coming in from D&D or Pathfinder, as Starfinder made a number of rules changes that can easily trip up veterans and newbies alike.

- I'm less enthusiastic about "Human + Halfling = Dwarf." If anything it should be the other way around, at least in my opinion, though of course I'd prefer them to all be separate anyway. It sounds like you've already got a culture lined up for the halflings based on them being progenitors as opposed to hybrids though.

- Enemy-wise, mutants and bandits are fine fodder; I would also throw in some constructs/robots too. Given that Androids are around, somebody or something is building machines out there, and having some of their less-advanced prototypes running around (even mindless ones) would give you greater enemy variety while simultaneously putting in more hooks for the race as a whole (and any Android PCs), and also letting you incorporate more static challenges like mechanized traps and turrets. Undead are of course always a fantasy staple too.

- Are all the SF classes allowed? Are there any you thought of porting in from PF?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I just don't see the point in using "Earth" and then adding a smorgasbord of typical D&D fantasy races.

Sure, I can totally see the appeal to start "grounded", heck, both KotOR games had this large an very intensive stretch to get your own starship, that's fun and good story building, but for me, the rest simply doesn't mesh.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My thoughts:

1) - You're painting with a rather broad brush when you say this subforum "ignores all the flavor." Rules discussions are more common because they require less subjective taste, that's all - there's more to actually, you know, discuss.

2) - I personally like the idea of starting a Starfinder campaign "on the ground" and not worrying about all the space exploration and high-tech computers stuff until later. It'll give the players time to get comfortable with their characters and the normal combat, social etc. rules first. This is especially true for players coming in from D&D or Pathfinder, as Starfinder made a number of rules changes that can easily trip up veterans and newbies alike.

3) - I'm less enthusiastic about "Human + Halfling = Dwarf." If anything it should be the other way around, at least in my opinion, though of course I'd prefer them to all be separate anyway. It sounds like you've already got a culture lined up for the halflings based on them being progenitors as opposed to hybrids though.

4) - Enemy-wise, mutants and bandits are fine fodder; I would also throw in some constructs/robots too. Given that Androids are around, somebody or something is building machines out there, and having some of their less-advanced prototypes running around (even mindless ones) would give you greater enemy variety while simultaneously putting in more hooks for the race as a whole (and any Android PCs), and also letting you incorporate more static challenges like mechanized traps and turrets. Undead are of course always a fantasy staple too.

5) - Are all the SF classes allowed? Are there any you thought of porting in from PF?
    1) You're right, sorry about that. I was in bad mood when I wrote that and being frustrated that no one had replied anything at all over the course of almost a week sparked my ire. But, that's hardly a good reason to be a jerk, so I sincerely apologise.

2) Good points. I've only scraped the surface of DM'ing Pathfinder in the past, but DM'd a campaign in 5th edition for a year or so, and I've played in another since the 5th edition playtest. Before that, I've played 3.5 and Pathfinder combined for about 10+ years.
    I've never played a single session using Starfinder, and I thought it would indeed be best to start with "basic" combat and social challenges, and slowly add more.
    My players have not touched Starfinder either, but all have varying expertise from both D&D and Pathfinder, so we're not complete rookies either. But, I hear you. From what I've read, Starfinder did good work in polishing Pathfinder and changing certain rules. It warrants to have s slow start.

3) I suppose I could swap dwarves with halflings, but I felt it would make a little bit more sense if "tall race (human) + short race (halfling) = average race (dwarf)". Although I admit it could be easier if all those races had just evolved on their own. I did consider that earthling orcs would just use the half-orc stats. I might change it back.

4) Exactly my thoughts as well. Robotics was an essential part of advanced technology before the cataclysmic events, and non-sentient robots (including android prototypes) existed already. One possibility was to borrow ideas from Fallout and introduce some villainous entity that seeks either world domination or extinction of all living things, or maybe even both.

5) Most Starfinder Classes and themes are allowed, except Solarian, Spacefarer, and Xenoseeker, which I feel are a little out of place in Earth. They'll probably become available later, though.

As for classes from Pathfinder, I was thinking about converting Alchemist, Gunslinger, and Unchained Barbarian with Savage Technologist features being part of the "Core" Barbarian. With the classes I might actually need some help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I just don't see the point in using "Earth" and then adding a smorgasbord of typical D&D fantasy races.

Sure, I can totally see the appeal to start "grounded", heck, both KotOR games had this large an very intensive stretch to get your own starship, that's fun and good story building, but for me, the rest simply doesn't mesh.
    I guess you're not a fan of Shadowrun or D&D Modern either, then? To each their own I suppose.

I forgot to mention Shadowrun or D&D Modern, but they too have a place in my heart as sources of inspiration.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-23 at 04:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I would take a gander at Low Life (either the old rpg or the Savage Worlds version)

It's a fantasy setting in post apocalypse Earth where fantasy elements mix in.

Shadowrun is also close to this concept.

Starfinder mechanics should work fine as long as lots of tech is assumed and you can handle cutting the built-in fluff from the mechanics. The most glaring problems with Starfinder come from the starship rules (which some errata fixes)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like it, but wouldn’t bother with most fantasy races. Instead, I’d take a page from Fallout’s book and have Human, Android, and the various half-human races with suitable reskinning as “mutations” (the variant Aasimar/Tiefling tables are great for this) as the only playable races. Dhampir make good “ghouls” if you’re willing to make radiation deal negative energy damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhedyn View Post
    I would take a gander at Low Life (either the old rpg or the Savage Worlds version)

It's a fantasy setting in post apocalypse Earth where fantasy elements mix in.

Shadowrun is also close to this concept.

Starfinder mechanics should work fine as long as lots of tech is assumed and you can handle cutting the built-in fluff from the mechanics. The most glaring problems with Starfinder come from the starship rules (which some errata fixes)
    Hmm. I'll take a look at Low Life, though I'd prefer to use Starfinder rules because one of my players has already bought the book and suffice to say, it wasn't cheap xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    I like it, but wouldn’t bother with most fantasy races. Instead, I’d take a page from Fallout’s book and have Human, Android, and the various half-human races with suitable reskinning as “mutations” (the variant Aasimar/Tiefling tables are great for this) as the only playable races. Dhampir make good “ghouls” if you’re willing to make radiation deal negative energy damage.
    The problem with porting various half-human races is, that, unlike for pathfinder classes, there are no guidelines to convert pathfinder races (or even create new ones) into Starfinder and since I'm still rather inexperienced with Starfinder rules mastery, I'm not sure if I know how to reverse engineer it (yet).

I don't want to run a complete Fallout ripoff with ghouls as a playable race, even though the idea is neat. I chose not to add half-elves because their existence wouldn't make sense with the lack of elves, and just using their stats to depict something else would feel weird later if/when they meet actual half-elves in Pact Worlds.

I will consider adding the variant tables for aasimar and tiefling as a "random mutation table" though.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-25 at 01:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    As for classes from Pathfinder, I was thinking about converting Alchemist, Gunslinger, and Unchained Barbarian with Savage Technologist features being part of the "Core" Barbarian. With the classes I might actually need some help with.
    Eh, I would skip Gunslinger entirely, Soldier blows them out of the water and then some. Any thoughts on bringing over a nature-y class like Ranger, Hunter, or the newer Shifter? Mystic can kinda do that of course, but tends to be a bit too flavor-agnostic for my tastes - it wouldn't surprise me if they either make a naturey class at some point, or some more explicit nature options.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Eh, I would skip Gunslinger entirely, Soldier blows them out of the water and then some. Any thoughts on bringing over a nature-y class like Ranger, Hunter, or the newer Shifter? Mystic can kinda do that of course, but tends to be a bit too flavor-agnostic for my tastes - it wouldn't surprise me if they either make a naturey class at some point, or some more explicit nature options.
    Hmm. I might bring over the Trapper or Skirmisher Ranger. I would prefer spellcasting to be at the minimum, for a more gritty feel.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014