Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Most optimal pure hexblade build?

Quote Originally Posted by Alek View Post
    My doubt is: as I won't take war caster feat, without improved pact weapon I can't have Shield and weapon right?
    Do you mean a physical shield or a Shield spell? (Or both)

If you take hexblade as your patron, you can equip a physical shield and fight with a one handed weapon as your hexblade weapon. (In fact, you can't use a two handed weapon as your hex weapon unless you take the weapon boon at level 3). If you take any other patron, you can't use a physical shield without multiclassing.

As for the spell, improved pact weapon doesn't help. The spell has only V and S components, so even if you could use your shield or weapon as a spell focus, it wouldn't help you to cast shield.

You can cast shield only if (a) you have a hand free, so for example if you're fighting with a one handed or two handed weapon, but no physical shield, or (b) you have the warcaster feat.

TLDR; if you want to equip a shield and a weapon AND cast shield as a reaction, you need warcaster, whether or not you have improved pact weapon.

ETA: just saw your last post - if you want to cast other spells that do have a material component while rocking a weapon and shield, look into the Ruby of the War Mage, a XGE magic item that allows use of a weapon as an arcane focus.
    Last edited by BaconAwesome; 2018-10-29 at 11:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry my fault I needed to be more clear that the optimisation was more for feats, ASI and invocation. I would like to keep my race to keep the RP.

as for "shield" I really meant shield as in shield off-hand and sword not the spell sorry. I guess Darkness is useless without devil's sight right? Good for crowd control
    Got it so Scourge Aasimar is the race choice.

STR 10, DEX 14, CON 16(15+1), INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 16(14+2) is a solid stat set.

ASIs would be +2 CHA, +2CHA, Warcaster as a recommendation with those

Another option would be swapping the +1/+2 and get CON15/CHA17 starting

- Pick up Actor feat or Menacing UA feat(If your DM allows it). It sounds like your character concept could really benefit from Actor
    - Pick up Resilient(CON) at some point to improve your saves/concentration - This is better than warcaster for most things at high levels

ASIs would be Actor/Menacing, +2CHA, Resilient Con
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2018-10-29 at 12:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BaconAwesome View Post
    Do you mean a physical shield or a Shield spell? (Or both)

If you take hexblade as your patron, you can equip a physical shield and fight with a one handed weapon as your hexblade weapon. (In fact, you can't use a two handed weapon as your hex weapon unless you take the weapon boon at level 3). If you take any other patron, you can't use a physical shield without multiclassing.

As for the spell, improved pact weapon doesn't help. The spell has only V and S components, so even if you could use your shield or weapon as a spell focus, it wouldn't help you to cast shield.

You can cast shield only if (a) you have a hand free, so for example if you're fighting with a one handed or two handed weapon, but no physical shield, or (b) you have the warcaster feat.

TLDR; if you want to equip a shield and a weapon AND cast shield as a reaction, you need warcaster, whether or not you have improved pact weapon.

ETA: just saw your last post - if you want to cast other spells that do have a material component while rocking a weapon and shield, look into the Ruby of the War Mage, a XGE magic item that allows use of a weapon as an arcane focus.

Thanks but I thought that with Improved pact weapon I could cast using weapon and shield.
    I'm reading: You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells.

I misinterpreted it, thanks for clarifying.
    I don't dislike per se War Caster but playing as a Tempest Cleric in my actual campaign I notice that anyway if they hit me I can't keep concentration as end game lvl (we're 15lvl at the moment in SKT) hits are about 40hp per hit so I always have to do a natural 20 :(

Isn't then a better option to stay without a shield and summon a Halberd like most people do? I'll have 16AC and maybe if I'm lucky I'll get some +1 armor someday.
    RP: I loved the fact that I could alter my self and summon different weapons too.

I'm also worried that meanwhile Darkness can help me a lot (if I have Devil's sight) will not be good for the rest of my party

thanks

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wildarm View Post
    Got it so Scourge Aasimar is the race choice.

STR 10, DEX 14, CON 16(15+1), INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 16(14+2) is a solid stat set.

ASIs would be +2 CHA, +2CHA, Warcaster as a recommendation with those

Another option would be swapping the +1/+2 and get CON15/CHA17 starting

- Pick up Actor feat or Menacing UA feat(If your DM allows it). It sounds like your character concept could really benefit from Actor
    - Pick up Resilient(CON) at some point to improve your saves/concentration - This is better than warcaster for most things at high levels

ASIs would be Actor/Menacing, +2CHA, Resilient Con
    Actor might be interesting but is really worth it? Having "friends" cantrip won't do something similar?
    OT regarding Friends cantrip: I plan on disguise self, use Friends and revert to another form. Maybe is a long shot but worths a try. /OT

Your option is solid, so you mean:

CON 15(14+1) and CHA 17(15+2)
    LVL 4: take Actor so CHA is 18
    LVL 8: take Resilient CON so CON is 16.

Nice progression from RP point of view I'll think about it.
    Only thing is this way I won't have PAM or Warcaster so in combat I'll have AC16 or use a shield but only cast before drawing my weapon. So for example: cast hex, then draw your sword while having a shield and go melee.

I know that all this might sound complicated but as I expect Warlock to be quite standard in combat (eldritch blast or melee multi-attack) I planned to add some extra flavour to my RP by acting as a different character most of the times. I'll create Character personalities and keep track of them like: this guy is known in this city as, this is his/her background story, did this, is friend with and enemy (due to friends) with this etc.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

I have some doubts about the Darkness spell.

I read in this post: "Darkness is great and going to last a while giving you advantage and your enemies disadvantage"

Why? I mean with devil's sight I get it but without?
    If I put darkness on an object I carry enemies will have disadvantage ok but why I do have advantage without Devil's sight?
    also if I get close to the enemy my party won't be able to see him and they will have disadvantage right?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Actually I'd like to point out that the free hand for somatic components is just whatever hand you have available to use for material components/focuses. If you're using a shield and sword, your sword hand has your focus in it and therefore can be used for somatic opponents
    I'm a vestige!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerefel View Post
    Actually I'd like to point out that the free hand for somatic components is just whatever hand you have available to use for material components/focuses. If you're using a shield and sword, your sword hand has your focus in it and therefore can be used for somatic opponents
    re-reading this part I got confused by page 4 and the argument.

Simple question: if I take Improved Pact Weapon I can have shield and cast spells with my weapon as focus, is that correct guys?

If the answer is yes, at lvl3 I will switch my agonising blast for Improved Pact Weapon as I still have range option summing a Bow.

tnx
    Last edited by Alek; 2018-11-30 at 05:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So I know this build is well in place, but I wanted to bring something up that no one has considered. I also know most people won't agree with what I'm going to say, but it's just food for thought.
    Anyways what about a V Human with the stats:
    Str 8, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.
    Feat: Tough
    Lvl 4: GWM
    Now I know a lot of people don't like tough, but hear me out. I've seen a lot of suggesting either 14 or 16 con. Now with the medium armor the most AC one can get is 17. 16 and 17 AC isn't that great, but this correlates to how most damage dealers are in RPGs. Lower AC, but High HP to offset the lack of max armor.
    Allow me to compare and contrast please.
    Con 14 at lvl 4 = 31 HP
    Con 16 at lvl 4 = 35 HP
    Con 16 at lvl 4 with Tough = 43 HP
    Now there's a 12 point difference and then a 8 point difference. This doesn't seem like much, but at tier 1 this could be the difference between life and death as that extra HP could save you since you're likely to be hit more often. Now fast forward to lvl 8.
    Con 14 at lvl 8 = 59 HP
    Con 16 at lvl 8 = 67 HP
    Con 16 at lvl 8 with Tough = 83 HP
    Now there's a 24 difference and a 16 point difference. The gap keeps growing between each level. I'd say Tough on a hexblade that is melee with a middle of the road AC could benefit from Tough as it provides the protection needed for one more hit. I understand that there is multi attack and enemies hit harder as you increase in level, but more HP means you're alive longer. The longer you're alive the more damage you can put out.
    Obviously, if someone wanted to use a bow then I would not suggest Tough, but for someone who wants to stand in there with only a 16 or 17 AC I feel this could be beneficial and worth considering but that's just my opinion.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAllBuilds View Post
    I give you my “mortal ascending to reaper for the gods”
    Aerdeth Liadon
    Spoiler: Hexblade
    Show
    Half-Elf Warlock 20 (Acolyte)

Armor Class 20 (15 Half, 2 Dex, 2 Shield, 1 Blessing)
    Hit Points 136/136
    Intiative +2
    Speed 30 ft.

Abilities: Str 9, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 20
    (Point buy: 9, 13, 13, 10, 13, 15. Floating racial bonuses to con and wis)

Saving Throws: Dexterity +9, Wisdom +9, Charisma +12 (all +1 Blessing)

Skills: Arcana +6, Deception +11, Insight +8, Perception +8, Religion +6, Stealth +8
    Senses: Passive Perception 18, Darkvision

Equipment: Reliquary, Dread Helm, Mithral Half Plate Armor, Sentinel Shield, Mace of Smiting (Hex Warrior), Vicious Glaive (Pact Blade), Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location, Cloak of the Bat, Ring of Regeneration

Attacks
    Mace of Smiting: +12 to hit, 1d6 + 6 bludgeoning damage
    Vicious Glaive: +12 to hit, 1d10 + 11 slashing damage

Racial Traits
    Darkvision.
    Fey Ancestry.
    Skill Versatility.
    Languages. Common, Elvish. Add:Draconic. Background: Celestial, Primordial.

Warlock Features
    Pact Magic.
    Otherworldly Patron: The Hexblade.
    Hexblade’s Curse.
    Hex Warrior.
    Eldritch Invocations.
    Pact Boon: Pact of the Blade.
    Accursed Specter.
    Armor of Hexes.
    Mystic Arcanum.
    Master of Hexes.
    Eldritch Master.

Equipment. A holy symbol (a gift to you when you entered the priesthood [Reliquary]), a prayer book or prayer wheel, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 15 gold pieces. A Priests Pack.

Background
    Personality Trait. 3. I see omens in every event and act around me. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
    Ideal. 5. Faith: I trust my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well. (Lawful)
    Bond. 4. Everything I do is for the common people.
    Flaw. 1. I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.

Feats
    Resilient (Dexterity).
    Elven Accuracy (Charisma).
    Great Weapon Master.
    Ritual Caster (Cleric).
    ASI Lvl 19 +2 Cha.
    Blessing of Protection. +1 AC & Saves (Calculated in, remove without boon)
    Epic Boon: Boon of Immortality.

Invocation: Devil's Sight, Invocation: Improved Pact Weapon, Invocation: Thirsting Blade, Invocation: Eldritch Smite, Invocation: Lifedrinker, Invocation: Shroud of Shadow (Invisibility), Invocation: Mask of Many Faces (Disguise Self). Invocation: Whispers of the Grave (Speak with dead)

Cantrips:
    Chill Touch, Eldritch Blast, Friends, Toll the Dead.

Spells:
    Armor of Agathys, Hex, Shield, Hold Person, Mirror Image, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Vampiric Touch, Banishment, Phantasmal Killer, Shadow of Moil, Banishing Smite, Danse Macabre, Hold Monster.

Mystic Arcanum:
    Soul Cage, Plane Shift, Demiplane, Astral Projection.

Rituals:
    Ceremony (Ritual Only), Detect Magic (Ritual Only), Detect Poison and Disease (Ritual Only), Purify Food and Drink (Ritual Only), Augury (Ritual Only), Gentle Repose (Ritual Only), Silence (Ritual Only), Feign Death (Ritual Only), Meld into Stone (Ritual Only), Water Walk (Ritual Only), Divination (Ritual Only), Commune (Ritual Only), Forbiddance (Ritual Only).

He can mostly care for himself, but a healer with teleportation and clone wouldn’t hurt for an ally
    Updated my build a bit. The 7th 8th & 9th Mystic Arcanum picks are for flavor, so you could swap out, Ex: Foresight for Astral Projection
    Dwarven Prayer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our Lager, Which art in barrels,
    Hallowed be thy drink.
    Thy will be drunk
    I will be drunk,
    At home as in the tavern.
    Give us this day our foamy head,
    And forgive us our spillages
    As we forgive those that spill against us.
    And lead us not into incarceration,
    But deliver us from hang-overs.
    For thine is the beer,
    The bitter and the lager.
    Forever and ever,
    Barmen!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAllBuilds View Post
    Updated my build a bit. The 7th 8th & 9th Mystic Arcanum picks are for flavor, so you could swap out, Ex: Foresight for Astral Projection
    Really cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi guys in 2 weeks I finally start playing my Hexblade. I still have some doubts can you all help?

1. Why no one mentioned the Green-flame blade cantrip? At the moment I play a cleric with booming blade and is a great add to my melee attack. I don't want again booming blade but what about Green-Flame Blade? Can I use it for the first attack as I do with my BB for my cleric?
    2. If I take the invocation improved pact weapon why do I need agonising blast? Instead of using EB I can summon a bow as my pact weapon right?

thanks

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hi guys in 2 weeks I finally start playing my Hexblade. I still have some doubts can you all help?

1. Why no one mentioned the Green-flame blade cantrip? At the moment I play a cleric with booming blade and is a great add to my melee attack. I don't want again booming blade but what about Green-Flame Blade? Can I use it for the first attack as I do with my BB for my cleric?
    2. If I take the invocation improved pact weapon why do I need agonising blast? Instead of using EB I can summon a bow as my pact weapon right?

thanks
    You don't need to do both.
    • GFB will only work with melee weapons*. Each time you use it, it will remove your ability to use multiple attacks that turn, Even if you have thirsting blade. *except ones with reach, in which you need spell sniper to cast GFB or BB beyond 5 feet.
    • As a Hexblade, you won't need Agonizing blast if you have improved pact weapon for the first 10 levels. However, since a bladelock is locked into 2 ranged attacks (d8 longbow), 3 at most with a hand crossbow (d4) & Crossbow master, once you hit level 10 and Eldritch blast spreads to 3 d10 rays, that will be the most optimal route.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Current series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    You don't need to do both.
    • GFB will only work with melee weapons*. Each time you use it, it will remove your ability to use multiple attacks that turn, Even if you have thirsting blade. *except ones with reach, in which you need spell sniper to cast GFB or BB beyond 5 feet.

Thanks for the answer. What you mean you lose attacks? GFB:"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon" so exactly as with BB I do my first attack with GFB (so at lvl5th I also add 1d8 fire dmg) and then my second attack without cantrip. Am I using it wrong? Sorry I obviously mean melee attack for example with an Halberd just to be clear.
    • As a Hexblade, you won't need Agonizing blast if you have improved pact weapon for the first 10 levels. However, since a bladelock is locked into 2 ranged attacks (d8 longbow), 3 at most with a hand crossbow (d4) & Crossbow master, once you hit level 10 and Eldritch blast spreads to 3 d10 rays, that will be the most optimal route.
    All clear thanks so yes is doable to use a bow with improved pact weapon but from lvl 10 on EB + agonising blast does more dmg. Thanks

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[/LIST]
    Thanks for the answer. What you mean you lose attacks? GFB:"As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon" so exactly as with BB I do my first attack with GFB (so at lvl5th I also add 1d8 fire dmg) and then my second attack without cantrip. Am I using it wrong? Sorry I obviously mean melee attack for example with an Halberd just to be clear.
    using GFB (or BB) will mean you are taking the "Cast a Spell" action, instead of the "attack" action. So if you use GFB, you will make a melee attack... but only one. You don't get any extra attacks with a feature or invocation, or even a bonus action attack with a light, offhand weapon, because you aren't taking the attack action.

Eldritch Knight Fighters can get around this with War Magic, as they can cast a Cantrip then have a bonus action attack - So, GFB, which includes a single melee attack, and then a second attack as a bonus action. Warlocks don't have such a feature.
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • League of Legends IP
    • Current series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    using GFB (or BB) will mean you are taking the "Cast a Spell" action, instead of the "attack" action. So if you use GFB, you will make a melee attack... but only one. You don't get any extra attacks with a feature or invocation, or even a bonus action attack with a light, offhand weapon, because you aren't taking the attack action.

Eldritch Knight Fighters can get around this with War Magic, as they can cast a Cantrip then have a bonus action attack - So, GFB, which includes a single melee attack, and then a second attack as a bonus action. Warlocks don't have such a feature.
    Now I get it, thanks I never had the issue with my Cleric with BB because I have just 1 attack. Or I've been hasted. Maybe later on I'll about taking PAM in order to have a "third" attack to be balanced to using EB at lvl11

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Now I get it, thanks I never had the issue with my Cleric with BB because I have just 1 attack. Or I've been hasted. Maybe later on I'll about taking PAM in order to have a "third" attack to be balanced to using EB at lvl11
    PAM and War Priest doesn't work with BB/GFB for the same reason - no attack action, thus no bonus action attack. Haste, however, would work, as it gives you an entirely new action that allows the attack action, which would then trigger the above.
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • League of Legends IP
    And MORE!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I feel like Hexblade works best with a Sorcerer multiclass. Unlike the Sorlock 2/18 split, I would build Hexblade to 5 for Thirsting Blade. After that when you multiclass into Sorcerer (I like Divine Soul for some of those good Cleric buffs) you gain some low level slots for utility spells like shield/hex/etc as well as the ability to quicken your first round buff spells.

The way I see it, a Hexblade is comparable to a Paladin or EK, so they get more milage out of low level slots and action economy. Having played a Hexblade to 13, I found that with the exception of Shadow of Moil or Far Step, my higher level spells did not really help me be a better warrior. Basically I just played like a normal Warlock that used a sword instead of EB (I didn't use PAM, just GWM).

I imagine losing Lifedrinker would hurt, but I think that versatility is worth it. If we just wanted MORE DAKKA, then we'd probably play Barbarians.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2019-03-18 at 11:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of curiousity... what is your planned build at ~level 10? And do you know with what other classes you'll be playing?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As my current campains Hexblade would say "Oh god I wish I was useful".

Bare bones optimization for full hex.

Pact of the blade
    Thirsting blade
    Lifedrinker
    Esmite
    GWM or sharpshooter (PaM/CbX is optional)
    Learn shadows of Mommafugyouup
    Max Cha
    Get a con save

Great, now you deal damage, that imaginary arbitrary thing that has no value until you inflict "dead" as a status effect. But hey, with all this invest you deal a whopping... same damage as the party Cleric.

The fun stuff:

Using everything else (We have 2-4 feat slots open along with race background, attunement, most of our spells, and a ton of invocations) to grab OOC utility or in combat control that actually helps your party.

Traps: PAM, Hex, Etc

Bonus action useage is tight, you have 2 slots till 11th level, hellish rebuke does 33 average cast at 5th level, with a reaction, AoA at 5th gives 25 thp and does 50 damage average with an OoC action, hex with PAM does 28 over a 3 round combat. This is pretty much worthless by comparison.

Good stuff: Fear, Hypnotic pattern, Ddoor, etc

Know what's good? Ending half the fight before it starts, or not getting trapped in a box like those poor barbarians (who unfortunately out damage us). The nosave prone side of Esmite is the best part, use it on flying dragons and let the party fighters go to town. Etc.
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-03-18 at 03:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Hexblade is great all by itself.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, Seems like good place to ask.

I have campaign that starts from level 4, and will last to level 10 from what DM said.

I have rolled: 18, 14, 16, 8, 8, 11

I want to play Hexblade, but I can't decide between:

1. Vuman PAM + GWM, 18 CHA, 12 WIS on level 4. I would have extra attack and GWM and from level 5- 3 attacks. I can give myself advantage via Darkness, which will leave me only one free slot in most fights. On level 8 +2 CHA and I have GWM, PAM and 20 CHA. He also get's reaction attack.

2. Half-Elf GWM, 20 CHA, 15 DEX (to take +1 DEX from Elven Accuracy on level 8). Here I start with 20 CHA instead of 18 and I have GWM. From level 5 I will have two attacks. Only from level 8 when I pick +1 DEX and Elven Accuracy I will have 2 attacks but with double advantage. I miss PAM Extra GWM attack sadly and I have to wait to level 8 before getting EA, while Vuman have PAM + GWM on level 4.

However on Half-Elf Drow I have Darkness and Faerie Fire 2x per day which will alow me in at least two encounters to have full 2 slots available for me to cast something or use for Eldricht Smites.

Since campaign is only to level 10 I don't know what to take. Vuman seems like beast but will always take one spell slots. Half-Elf seems like it fits like a glove, but he comes online much later and won't have extra attacks but can free my slots usage in combat (like being able to use Armor of Agathys + something else)

Both will mostly fight in melee using Darkness and later Shadow of Moil and glaive to abuse 10ft reach while inside darkness to keep distance form enemies and use hit n run tactic.

The other build I thought about was Vuman, taking WarCaster on level 1, PAM on level 4 and use Spear + Shield and abuse BB reaction attack + BB OA attacks (you can't be targeted by OAs in Darkness so you can run in hit enemy with BB and run back). This would make his damage output lower (no GWM) but he would hit much more and utilize Booming Blade more.
    Last edited by Sol0botmate; 2019-04-04 at 09:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Sol0botmate View Post
    Hi, Seems like good place to ask.

I have campaign that starts from level 4, and will last to level 10 from what DM said.

I have rolled: 18, 14, 16, 8, 8, 11

I want to play Hexblade, but I can't decide between:

1. Vuman PAM + GWM, 18 CHA, 12 WIS on level 4. I would have extra attack and GWM and from level 5- 3 attacks. I can give myself advantage via Darkness, which will leave me only one free slot in most fights. On level 8 +2 CHA and I have GWM, PAM and 20 CHA. He also get's reaction attack.

2. Half-Elf GWM, 20 CHA, 15 DEX (to take +1 DEX from Elven Accuracy on level 8). Here I start with 20 CHA instead of 18 and I have GWM. From level 5 I will have two attacks. Only from level 8 when I pick +1 DEX and Elven Accuracy I will have 2 attacks but with double advantage. I miss PAM Extra GWM attack sadly and I have to wait to level 8 before getting EA, while Vuman have PAM + GWM on level 4.

However on Half-Elf Drow I have Darkness and Faerie Fire 2x per day which will alow me in at least two encounters to have full 2 slots available for me to cast something or use for Eldricht Smites.

Since campaign is only to level 10 I don't know what to take. Vuman seems like beast but will always take one spell slots. Half-Elf seems like it fits like a glove, but he comes online much later and won't have extra attacks but can free my slots usage in combat (like being able to use Armor of Agathys + something else)

Both will mostly fight in melee using Darkness and later Shadow of Moil and glaive to abuse 10ft reach while inside darkness to keep distance form enemies and use hit n run tactic.

The other build I thought about was Vuman, taking WarCaster on level 1, PAM on level 4 and use Spear + Shield and abuse BB reaction attack + BB OA attacks (you can't be targeted by OAs in Darkness so you can run in hit enemy with BB and run back). This would make his damage output lower (no GWM) but he would hit much more and utilize Booming Blade more.
    I find PAM to be OP and never suggest it.

One thing I have not done yet is Warcaster at 1st and Crossbow Expert at 4th. Taking Greater Pact Weapon you get to make a Heavy Crossbow.

A dip into rogue later and you can Hide in shadows and get your sneak attack. You can also take the invocation to become invisabke until you move or attack.

So say 5th level Warlock and 3rd level Rogue you can Hide for free with invocation. On the other turns hide as a bonus action.

Could be doing hex and sneak attack damage.

If people rush you, you can still fire at them, twice if you take thirsty blade.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MThurston View Post
    I find PAM to be OP and never suggest it.

One thing I have not done yet is Warcaster at 1st and Crossbow Expert at 4th. Taking Greater Pact Weapon you get to make a Heavy Crossbow.

A dip into rogue later and you can Hide in shadows and get your sneak attack. You can also take the invocation to become invisabke until you move or attack.

So say 5th level Warlock and 3rd level Rogue you can Hide for free with invocation. On the other turns hide as a bonus action.

Could be doing hex and sneak attack damage.

If people rush you, you can still fire at them, twice if you take thirsty blade.
    I am look for pure Hexblade, no dip, also as title of this thread suggests: "pure hexblade build".

I don't mind PAM being OP, I just want to know the best optimized option for pure hexblade (starting level 4, ends on level 10).

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Sol0botmate View Post
    I am look for pure Hexblade, no dip, also as title of this thread suggests: "pure hexblade build".

I don't mind PAM being OP, I just want to know the best optimized option for pure hexblade (starting level 4, ends on level 10).
    My crossbow shooting one is still powerful even at full hexblade. You could even go elf with the elven accuracy feat.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MThurston View Post
    My crossbow shooting one is still powerful even at full hexblade. You could even go elf with the elven accuracy feat.
    I prefer melee version of Hexblade :)

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu View Post
    I prefer melee version of Hexblade :)
    I dont think there is much thinking then. Take PAM and Sentinal. You can take Warcaster for the bonus consentration save but you dont need it to cast.

I think there is a way to use single target spells with Warcaster also for reaction for people moving through engagement zones.

But as I said, it's a boring build. All fighting classes can take it and abuse it. Monk, fighter, ranger, rogue, paladin, barbarian , Hexblade and even Druid. Bard might even have a way to abuse it.
    Last edited by MThurston; 2019-04-05 at 07:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

BardGuy

How does this melee pure hexblade compare to a fighter 1 (or 2)/ fiend pact of the blade warlock?

Maybe I’m not “getting” the mechanics of the hexblade right, but it seems like the fighter/bladelock is tougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnotaGuru View Post
    Easy.
    You swing your conjured +1 great sword for +10 to hit (+4 pro, +5 cha, +1 improved pact) for 2d6 +11 damage (+5 cha, +5 lifedrinker, +1 improved pact) with 2 sometimes 3 attacks/round.
    First of all thx for the build. I'm playing in right now at Lvl 5 and I am happy so far. But one thing I don't understand is where does your mentioned 2nd attack come from? The sometimes third ist from GWA ... okay but the second attack ...? Could give me hint here ? thx a lot

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by ojey View Post
    First of all thx for the build. I'm playing in right now at Lvl 5 and I am happy so far. But one thing I don't understand is where does your mentioned 2nd attack come from? The sometimes third ist from GWA ... okay but the second attack ...? Could give me hint here ? thx a lot
    The Thirsting Blade invocation available at 5th level to pact of the blade warlocks gives you two attacks with your pact weapon when taking the attack action (This is not exactly the same as extra attack since you can only attack with your pact weapon ... not grapple, shove or use something other than your pact weapon). If you have PAM you would get a 3rd attack with the butt end or if you have GWM you can get a 3rd attack if you crit or kill something.