New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default id like to play a space marine

ive started getting into warhammer 40k and id love to build a a space marine in d&d i just need some help on doing it i know it will have to be multiclass just not sure what classes. id like to be a blood tornado cleansing the heresy .

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: id like to play a space marine

Whelp, Warlock is right out...

But in all seriousness, you want Oath of Vengeance Paladin.

free of disease, heavily armored, killing machine. Everything relates perfect. And when you qualify for Avenging Angel, looks like someone called in for air support.
    Last edited by Dappershire; 2018-01-21 at 03:08 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

i mean i can have a chaos and a imperium version but yeah warlock is that major heresy lol

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Human (duh) variant with heavy armor mastery to simulate power armor?
    Last edited by Waazraath; 2018-01-21 at 03:13 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    Human (duh) variant with heavy armor mastery to simulate power armor?
    I was just going to add this. Variant fits flavor wise as well as featwise. So I'll just second all of this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

im thinking either fighter or paladin as a base . i mean you can be a hunter of heretics without being a paladin .

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Donpoohbear View Post
    im thinking either fighter or paladin as a base . i mean you can be a hunter of heretics without being a paladin .
    Sure, but everything Paladin does, relates to things the Space Marines do. Its a pretty direct relation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ive started getting into warhammer 40k and id love to build a a space marine in d&d i just need some help on doing it i know it will have to be multiclass just not sure what classes. id like to be a blood tornado cleansing the heresy .
    Playing an actual space marine is likely to be disruptive to the setting side of things, while also an uphill battle against the system. What you can do is play a character inspired by a space marine.

This brings up the question of exactly what the essence you want to capture is. There's aspects of how they're characterized, there's aspects of the narrative role they serve, there's what they do and how they do it. Each of these has a very different set of requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Dappershire View Post
    Sure, but everything Paladin does, relates to things the Space Marines do. Its a pretty direct relation.
    To some extent, this is true. They're based on similar archetypes - the paragon militant who actively hunts those they see as unholy evildoers. They're very different approaches though, with the Paladin being an incredibly idealistic view. The Paladin is a good person, their foes are literally horrible monsters, and them hunting them is truly righteous.

The Space Marine is a bit more of a cynical take, which isn't exactly unexpected given that Warhammer basically runs on cynicism and bleak humor. Here the Space Marines are soldiers of a fascistic empire built around a cult of personality. They hunt heresy, which can easily involve inflicting massive collateral damage on what turned out to be a stupid witch hunt in the first place, and this is explicitly played for very dark humor. The Imperium aren't good guys, they just have the distinction of being less comically evil than some of the other factions, and even then there are other factions which are broadly better than them (the Tau, although the Tau are still terrible).
    Last edited by Knaight; 2018-01-21 at 05:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If only you could smite with ranged weapons, you could get Crossbow Expert and and a hand crossbow. Actually, I'd probably allow this, but ask your DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post

To some extent, this is true. They're based on similar archetypes - the paragon militant who actively hunts those they see as unholy evildoers. They're very different approaches though, with the Paladin being an incredibly idealistic view. The Paladin is a good person, their foes are literally horrible monsters, and them hunting them is truly righteous.

The Space Marine is a bit more of a cynical take, which isn't exactly unexpected given that Warhammer basically runs on cynicism and bleak humor. Here the Space Marines are soldiers of a fascistic empire built around a cult of personality. They hunt heresy, which can easily involve inflicting massive collateral damage on what turned out to be a stupid witch hunt in the first place, and this is explicitly played for very dark humor. The Imperium aren't good guys, they just have the distinction of being less comically evil than some of the other factions, and even then there are other factions which are broadly better than them (the Tau, although the Tau are still terrible).
    Paladin of conquest probably matches the more cynical take.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

If you really want to play a Space Marine in a satisfying way, you need to play one of the W40K RPGs.

You can play a Space Marine expy in D&D, but if you try to do things like "burn the mutants" or "purge the witches and heretics" the same way a Space Marine does, you're probably doing to be a wanted criminal after the first week.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As an alternative you could role-play the soldier “from another time and space” angle.

You could play around with the culture shock of a character with modern sensibilities trapped in a fantasy realm.

We had a player run that a long time ago and he had a great deal of fun with it. I think the GM even gave him a modern sidearm to begin play with, and only one clip of ammo.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Everyone saying Warlock doesn't fit, it kind of does? Making a pact with the Emperor is exactly what they do ish. I think Paladin fits a whole lot better, but a re-fluffed hexblade could work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImproperJustice View Post
    As an alternative you could role-play the soldier “from another time and space” angle.

Background: Far Traveler.
    Paladin: Oath of the Crown. Seems a perfect fit for loyalty to the Emperor and stamping out heresy.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Been a while since I dug this out, so no clue on the balance, but I did make a Chaos Marine class a LONG time ago.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If only there are some roleplaying game specifically designed around roleplaying as a Space Marine...

*cough*
    Last edited by Contrast; 2018-01-21 at 10:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

so much good advice and my dm has told me as long as nothing seems horribly broken i can do as a like . conquest paladin seems great im thinking of dipping into fighter to make him able to attack more agressively. as far as rp aspects the world we will be playing in has been under threat from abominations , and demons siphoning the mana of the land .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

so much good advice and my dm has told me as long as nothing seems horribly broken i can do as a like . conquest paladin seems great im thinking of dipping into fighter to make him able to attack more agressively. as far as rp aspects the world we will be playing in has been under threat from abominations , and demons siphoning the mana of the land .
    How exactly would a fighter dip allow for more aggressive attacks? I assume you know that the 'extra attack' feature doesn't stack?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    How exactly would a fighter dip allow for more aggressive attacks? I assume you know that the 'extra attack' feature doesn't stack?
    Action Surge and a second fighting style, plus Second Wind for self-recovery?

I do agree, the OP may be misunderstanding something, but a Fighter dip is certainly not a bad idea.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

i actually wasnt aware that extra attack dosent stack lol

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd be wary of the 'rabidly species-ist' aspect of Warhammer space marines. If your party has non-humans in it (or knowing D&D parties, no other humans at all), the RP aspect may be unmanageable, given that many space marines would instantly attack and attempt to destroy:

> People who do not worship the Emperor or one of his aspects
    > People who are not pure humans
    > People who have contacted demons, fiends and aberrations
    > People who accept non-humans as equals
    > People who have sorcery

I could imagine a great game of D&D where a bunch of Warhammer humans fall through a portal into a D&D setting and have to survive, while shuddering in disgust at the existence of half-elves, and attempting to exterminatus the nine hells, but it would mostly be a CIAPHAS CAIN, Hero of the Imperium style comedy, and it'd be with all the players' consent to begin with.
    Last edited by Tiadoppler; 2018-01-21 at 12:27 PM.
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    Everyone saying Warlock doesn't fit, it kind of does? Making a pact with the Emperor is exactly what they do ish. I think Paladin fits a whole lot better, but a re-fluffed hexblade could work.

I could see making it work, especially as a bladelock:

- Pact Blade Longsword can easily just look like a Chainsword, especially if you take Improved Pact Weapon.
    - Eldritch Blast is a pretty good stand-in (in terms of D&D) for a Bolter.
    - Take Heavy Armor Proficiency at 1st level, roll around in full plate all the time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

If you can get to play a brute you can just refluff your hand crossbow(or your bow) as dealing super high damage because it is a gun.(there is very few fighting classes that straight up add damage to attacks without conditions)
    And refluff your staff as a chainsword.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiadoppler View Post
    I'd be wary of the 'rabidly species-ist' aspect of Warhammer space marines. If your party has non-humans in it (or knowing D&D parties, no other humans at all), the RP aspect may be unmanageable, given that many space marines would instantly attack and attempt to destroy:

> People who do not worship the Emperor or one of his aspects
    > People who are not pure humans
    > People who have contacted demons, fiends and aberrations
    > People who accept non-humans as equals
    > People who have sorcery

I could imagine a great game of D&D where a bunch of Warhammer humans fall through a portal into a D&D setting and have to survive, while shuddering in disgust at the existence of half-elves, and attempting to exterminatus the nine hells, but it would mostly be a CIAPHAS CAIN, Hero of the Imperium style comedy, and it'd be with all the players' consent to begin with.
    i love that idea when its my turn to dm ill probably use it

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Submortimer View Post
    I could see making it work, especially as a bladelock:

- Pact Blade Longsword can easily just look like a Chainsword, especially if you take Improved Pact Weapon.
    - Eldritch Blast is a pretty good stand-in (in terms of D&D) for a Bolter.
    - Take Heavy Armor Proficiency at 1st level, roll around in full plate all the time.
    i think ill try this for 4-5 lvls then do the rest as warrior .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiadoppler View Post
    Snip
    Reminds me of a fanfic I've seen once, though I've read only few parts. It's not D&D, but a space marine in Warcraft (pretty similar) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5672901/6/The-God-of-Death

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conquest Paladin all the way on this or Oathbreaker - re-fluffled for flavor just use them for the rules base.

I honestly would suggest a Dex / char build and re-fluf a rapier to a chain-sword and hopefully your DM will let you take a gun / bolter and you should come out pretty close to what you want here

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I would probably build it as an Archfey Blade Warlock 3/Paladin of Conquest X, with the Emperor standing in as the Archfey.

Your Bolter, Moon Bow, will give you the ability to augment your shots with radiant damage at range, while Improved pact weapon makes sure all of your weapons are +1 regardless if they're melee or ranged. The rest is just paladin goodness.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Don't Space Maines have trainee/recruit Space Marines? Because in terms of the inherent power of all Space Marines, that's what you'd be, for the first ... oh, maybe 16 levels.

But I agree Vengeance or Conquest paladin is the way to go if you're trying to emulate the general feel of a Space Marine in D&D 5e.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    If only there are some roleplaying game specifically designed around roleplaying as a Space Marine...

*cough*
    wait for Wrath and Glory if you want the correct system, Deathwatch was built off an engine that doesnt really do Space marines justice. or exploration, or generally anything requiring mastery or skill. Watch Roleplay Dark Heresy if you need to see why the system is kinda buttz

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Reminds me of a fanfic I've seen once, though I've read only few parts. It's not D&D, but a space marine in Warcraft (pretty similar) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5672901/6/The-God-of-Death
    note: its weird reading warcraft crossovers for people who actually follow the full lore. like, Nelf Sentinels in 2011 were in functionally Mark 2 Powered Armor equivalents (Warcraft lore gets pretty silly), as were all of the alliance soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Don't Space Maines have trainee/recruit Space Marines? Because in terms of the inherent power of all Space Marines, that's what you'd be, for the first ... oh, maybe 16 levels.

But I agree Vengeance or Conquest paladin is the way to go if you're trying to emulate the general feel of a Space Marine in D&D 5e.
    its more like lvl 16 for Terminator Armor. Basic Training (lvl 1-3) are in the scout company, then you goto devastator Squads to learn how to follow orders and read a battle, then you go to Assault training where you learn to use a sword and keep your head level in combat, and then you languish for a good half-millenium waiting for those bastards in the First Company to die so you get a chance to wear the Terminator Gear. Unless youre in the Blood Ravens, in which case Terminator Promotions are just a theft away
    Last edited by toapat; 2018-01-22 at 01:07 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself