New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

Job Board

The job is an investigative one, with fighting probable. There's a family farm in Outside, one of the owner's children went to market and when he returned it was abandoned, totally deserted. Not just no people, but no animals either. Everything was gone, from the spiders in the rafters to the cattle in the cowshed to the horses in the barn and the chickens in their coop. The child is obviously very interested in finding out what happened, and recovering them if possible. There's tracks away, but the employer doesn't want to follow on their own, being scared and unarmed. The description includes directions to the Forlorn Family Farm in Outside.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Job Board

The job is an investigative one, with fighting probable. There's a family farm in Outside, one of the owner's children went to market and when he returned it was abandoned, totally deserted. Not just no people, but no animals either. Everything was gone, from the spiders in the rafters to the cattle in the cowshed to the horses in the barn and the chickens in their coop. The child is obviously very interested in finding out what happened, and recovering them if possible. There's tracks away, but the employer doesn't want to follow on their own, being scared and unarmed. The description includes directions to the Forlorn Family Farm in Outside.
    "I'll take this one," says Metalhead.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Can I have a link to the location?
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603
    Orc in the Playground

The directions lead to here. A farm worked by a family named Forlorn, in Outside.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

[Checkup]

The next morning Kirk and Fettian find themselves outside Astrana's office. They never exactly took the time to warn her that they were coming, especially this early, but Kirk did find out that she had shown up this morning. "If she can't help we'll find someone in the city who can." Kirk adds before he knocks. Astrana doesn't necessarily have all the answers when it comes to magic stuff, but surely someone around can help.

5. - Top - End - #605

MERC Business With Magtok

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [MERC Business With Magtok]

Dipsnig pretends not to hear Dena and omits any and all plans he has for Riverside. Instead, he takes a seat and gets to business.

"Yes, quite. Skyside's lawlessness, even by the standards of the Nexus, drew the scum there like moths to a fire. Taking a stance against them could be the in we need to take back some territory there and Dena told me you two have some ideas for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Worrisome, even though I wasn't even aware there were any 'big businesses' in Riverside, besides us that is. But that's exactly why I want to stir up things in Skyside. I'm gonna be frank, we have completely lost our grip on the city and KABAL is sitting comfortably on the status quo so things have to change." Dena eyes Magtok and gestures towards one of the armchairs as she herself takes a seat in the sofa. "Why don't you sit down and explain your ideas for that?" The general room was otherwise empty right now anyway...

Magtok descends upon an armchair, after checking his sleeve one last time for any lingering trace of snow. It only occurs to him now that this is the first time he's visited any of the major Nexus organizations since his return. Huh. Maybe we should check up on GLoG later, or see if HALO's still mad about that time we put ourselves in charge of everything. Definitely not taking a tour of AMEN, though. Staying alive is important to our cyborg, and if AMEN's perimeter defenses are anything like what they were before he left...yeah, no thanks.

"I was told that 'stirring things up,' as it were, is what you were going for, so rather than try to champion some antislavery laws and drum up a small army to enforce the legislation, I thought 'hey, what if we tried a slave registration instead?'" Magtok explains, reaching into a sleeve and producing a small collar with a QR code printed above the name 'Example McExampleson.'

"You'd set up a charitable foundation to get every slave registered, talk to people in VIGIL or MERC about donating, and put me at the helm as the idiot philanthropist rich guy poster boy of the movement." It goes without saying that Magtok isn't actually that idiot philanthropist rich guy poster boy anymore, but people don't need to know that. He's a decent liar, when he wants to be. Shouldn't be too hard to just act like himself, right? "The slaves would get a bunch of health tests, inspected for damages, etcetera, and their last known condition added to the tags. People buying slaves would have a better idea of what they're getting when they go to the market, slavers would get an added sort of legitimacy, and the rest of us would have a series of small gps trackers, trackers that would make teleporting every single Skyside slave to an open field halfway across the world a few years later so much easier. MERC gets a large portion of the donations for protecting the staff in charge of tagging slaves, and everyone wins."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig's ears twitch just so as he listens and digests.

"A very Magtok sort of plan," he says. "It has the benefit of not necessarily making every slaver in the city come gunning after us. Many of them, but maybe not most. And it'd be our own thing, rather than trying to vie for territory with KABAL and every other gang. I don't think KABAL has any ties to the slave trade, but they wouldn't let us get away with it, all the same. We should assume they'll understand what we're doing."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Somewhere near MERC]

There does indeed appear to be cave opening here at the very least. A welcoming sight as soon he's faced with the first sign of civilization during this whole trek, a carved stair leading downwards, deeper into the mountain.

If he descends, he will soon be faced with a wooden door which just so happens to have a teeth-filled maw with a long purple tongue hanging out of it. "WEH-COME" The door utters and then slides into the cavewall.
    On the other side of the door the cave widens dramatically into a great hall. At the far end, he can see that there are a much wider set of stairs that leads even further below. But in the middle of the hall is what appears to be a glass-wall with six wooden doors with maws, much like the one that just opened for him. A more ordinary wooden door can be seen at the side of the hall, right next to a opening a couple of feet above the floor. On the other side of this opening there is a sign reading:

RIDMATRIX's STATIONS: Blue Mountains.

Ride Anywhere: Meat. GORGONS RIDE FOR FREE

EATING, KILLING, CAPTURING OR OTHERWISE REMOVING THE GLOWBUGS WILL BE PUNISHED!

Said Glow-bugs are likely the dozens of small motes of light that are illuminating the great hall. They flutter around, mostly moving in and out what appears to be small nests they have within the cave walls themselves.

The only person that Maiel can see is a small coal-skinned creature with burning embers for eyes which sits in with it's three-toed feet up on the cave opening above the floor, next to the sign. The opening seem to function as a counter as the little creature is clearly leaning on a chair within the cave beyond it.
    It has two golden horns and in-between them a hat. Otherwise, the creature is completely naked but does seem to lack any external sexual organs so there is no need for censorship.

The creature lowers the book it was reading (titled "DIPLOMATIC SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES") gives him a quick glance, and then just go back to its book again.

[Gym]

"I can still hear you out there." Dena remarks through the door. "Just give me a few more minutes to get ready."

Dena hides her distaste when Magtok brings up the subject of slavers. She had been the one that started this so she just had to swallow the vitriol for the time being.
    "Not even their leader Kelligan likes slavery, or so I have been told. I know for a fact that his lieutenant Tellysandra doesn't give a damn about it though. No clue about the other lieutenant." She informs Dipsnig. "They just passively accept it. After all, slavery runs somewhat counterproductive to capitalism. People you need to feed and take care of that don't provide the system with any money If you ever visited one of those slave-markets you'll see that the don't sell many 'mundane' slaves anymore. Customers don't want regular joes and janes that they need to maintain when there are more exotic goods to purchase." She turns to Magtok. "I like the idea, but as a tip, you should offer some kind of 'exotic race' discount to adapt to the current market. The slavers don't even bother capturing citizens as whose going to buy more unskilled workers in a increasingly automatic city? Skyside don't even have public education. Their workforce is not particularly attractive on the big market."

[Checkup]

Astrana, whose office is in the tunnels underneath the base due to her need to a ritual chamber at the very center of it, opens up. Her eyebrows raising as she sees Kirk and even more when her attention is quickly drawn to Tina. Was that...

"Senior officer Locke, what a surprise." She remarks as she turns back to him. "How can I help you today?" She moves out of the way, gesturing for them to take a seat. There is only one guest-chair though, so one of them have to sit on the bench next to the wall.

As usual, Astrana's office is filled with weird trinkets which mostly appear to have been made from animals of various sort. It's like a exotic pet cemetery in here, if whoever owned it was really into crafts.

[An Epic Quest]

"Very well, first you need..." Astrana starts explaining but Willa might be unable to focus on her instructions as Libra starts talking at the same time.
    Okay, here's my part! Just put the cage thing-y I'll send to you on the floor and open it up! You can summon any number of angels from it! Libra remarks as Willa will suddenly find a glided birdcage in her right hand.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Willa blinks. She’ll never get used to that.
    ”I’m sorry, Astrana. I have been sent an alternative method.” Willa gingerly places the cafe on the ground and opens the door. But only a little, and she keeps her hand on it in case more than one start flying out. Maybe for once she’ll summon something that doesn’t take interest in her chest or something.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #609

[Returning]

Its time for Fade to retuen from his adventure at the ball. In some way ge missed the chance to dabce but its just something he has to imorove. He will head right for a seat in the main hall looking for any customee that might need a nember. The board is empty as far as he can see
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #610

Slaves are luxury goods now. Blegh, I suppose we should've seen this sort of thing coming. Maybe we should redesign the entire plan from the bottom-up, then. Campaign for a slave tax instead, one so burdensome that the wealthy would prefer to spend their money on sky-yachts, charity galas, or vacation homes in Hillside instead.

"Fair enough. An exotic race discount," Magtok concedes, even as he shelves that luxury tax plan for later. MERC clearly has their own profit-based motives here, and simply bankrupting the slave industry won't do anything to help them, so we'll just have to stick with the registration program instead for now. You can be sure he hasn't forgotten that idea, though. That slave tax is happening, just as soon as he has his clones and wealth and home again. A goal that's admittedly quite some distance from where we are now, of course, but some day...

"I can't say I really know much of anything about this KABAL or what it's up to, however." Were those the people Magtok told to stay out of his way that one time? The cyborg swears he's heard of them somewhere, but can't seem to recall where or how. "Is that something I should know about, or just MERC business you'd rather keep to yourselves?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

11. - Top - End - #611

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus looks on with interest as the cage appears in Willa's hand. Clearly, Libra's decided to take a more active role. Hopefully this device will summon the creature they need.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Gym]

"I think that's fitting you just fine!" Tina protests as Dena departs, but it is likely to no avail. Dena did like her costumes. Tina leans into Rein as naturally as breathing when his hand comes. She turns her body to press it against him, trying to run those delicate hands up his back and into his hair.

The neon girl will try to playfully flick one of his ears. O: "Now we can't get too cute in here. This is where Dena works," she chides.
    [Gym]

Rein flinches when his ear is suddenly flicked. How dare she! Hmm, it's hard to counter when Tina has her hands running all over him like that though. "Oh. Then it's important to stress test these benches isn't it? For quality assurance purposes." To improve Dena's work place!

"Though that's not what I originally had in mind anyways." Reinholdt emphasizes, leaning in a little to deliver a few light kisses, working up her neck towards her ear, pausing briefly as Dena shouts through whatever door she went through. "See? Even Dena thinks your mind's needs to get out of the gutter." Rein whispers to her before trying to gently nibble on her ear as vengeance for flicking his earlier.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-11-16 at 02:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

"There's other uses for slaves, that machines can't replace. Mad science, occult rituals, that sort of thing. We'd need to find out just how many are purchased for those purposes," Dipsnig says. "As for KABAL, they're a criminal and mercenary organization that cost us our territory in Skyside and are generally making waves. They're up and coming and aren't going to stop where they are. They might not care for slavery, but they care for us even less. They'll oppose out plans simply because they're ours."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Halfling in the Playground

[Somewhere near MERC]

Well this doesn't look like a dungeon at all. Bizarre sight after bizarre sight leads Maiel to... some sort of junction for transportation?

His face remains passively grumpy as he demands of the small imp, "What is this place?"

[Gym]

"Oh, Reinholdt, behave," Fettina 'complains', leaning her head to one side to expose her neck. She gives a little 'ah' as her ear is nibbled. The neon girl's thighs squeeze tightly together down below. "Fine... then..." She mutters. "Help my mind out of the gutter into somewhere nicer, won't you?"

[Checkup]

Fettina does a blatant little double take when she sees Astrana. She'll recover well enough after a second, heading to sit at the chair provided, and without asking Kirk. Her wings have to hang over the back.

"Someone turned me into a shiny album-cover angel and I want you to change me back," says Fettina, hands folded in her lap.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2018-11-19 at 06:43 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #615

A New Client - Main Base

A woman shows up at the front door of MERC - absurdly tall, dusky skinned, with long flowing dark hair cascading over her leather jacket. She has a pair of sunglasses on her face, and she's pushing open the front door before walking up to the reception.

If Dipsnig's around he'll likely recognise her.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

[A New Client - Main Base]

Once the mercenaries manning the door spot the newcomer and inform Dipsnig, he does in fact recognize her. The door will open for her and the mercenaries inside - mostly goblins just like Dipsnig - will direct her to a meeting room where Dipsnig awaits. He decided not to meet her in his office, since with her height that would be rather undiplomatic. She'll find the goblin seated behind a table.

"Lady Bledig. A pleasure to see you again," he says. "Take a seat and we can talk about the business proposal you have for us."

17. - Top - End - #617

A New Client - Main Base

Chief executive Dipsnig himself come to see me! I'm flattered. Bledig says, casually pulling out the chair and relaxing into it. But yes, this proposal. There's a small clearing in the centre of the forest 2 miles from Inside. I need the guardian of the clearing killed and a bouquet of the yellow petalled flowers that grow there collected. Will you do this for me? As she explains she takes her sunglasses off, setting them inside her jacket pocket and revealing her rich yellow eyes as she levels a stare at Dipsnig.

Show

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

"I would like to know more about the guardian first," Dipsnig says. "It seems a simple enough contract, but I do need to know some details."

19. - Top - End - #619

A New Client - Main Base

She's a mighty bear. Bring fire, bring iron. She seems bored discussing the details of the mission. What more is there to discuss. Will you do this job? She repeats, still staring dead at Dipsnig.

Show

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Gym]

"Oh, Reinholdt, behave," Fettina 'complains', leaning her head to one side to expose her neck. She gives a little 'ah' as her ear is nibbled. The neon girl's thighs squeeze tightly together down below. "Fine... then..." She mutters. "Help my mind out gutter into somewhere nicer, won't you?"
    [Gym]

"I'm following a set of behaviors, at the very least." Does that count as behaving? Close enough Rein supposes. Unless Tina has specific suggestions on how Rein should behave, which he would not be adverse to exploring.

"I don't know if I can do anything to save your mind, but I may be able to keep you from making any more of those very impure suggestions," It seems his intended strategy for this is to work his way up to her lips and plant his there, keeping their mouths and tongues occupied for an extended period of time via the time honored art of making out.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-11-19 at 03:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

"As ever, it depends on the payment," Dipsnig says, his tone and face being professionalism incarnate. "What do you offer in exchange for this service?"

22. - Top - End - #622

A New Client - Main Base

An unamused smile creeps onto Bledig's face. <20,000 USD> in gold bullion. Real gold, stuff that lasts longer than a day. She promises, and she seems to find some humour in that, at least.

Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

"I would expect nothing less. Hard to get ahead in this business if you can be fooled by fairy gold," Dipsnig says. "Let's draw up a proper contract then, shall we?"

24. - Top - End - #624

A New Client - Main Base

Bledig laughs at the suggestion. Contract indeed! I don't need a contract. Just tell me you'll get it done for the gold. She says. Fae do not traditionally need pieces of paper to enforce their agreements.

Show

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps you don't," Dipsnig says, politely yet firmly. "But we do. I assure you it's entirely confidential and won't leave these walls."

26. - Top - End - #626

RedWizardGuy

Primary MERC Base Entrance

The Jatensons, Muun and Anatya enter the building.

Spoiler: brief description
    Show

Muun seems rather tense, scanning the area for potential threats.
    Anatya has long brown hair tied in a ponytail and somewhat asiatic facial features. She walks with an air of...restraint.

They have both come from a realm similar to classic swords and sorcery settings, though with a more modern tone.

"Excuse me," says Muun. "We both want licenses, and I was wondering if I could somehow become a full-time member."
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

27. - Top - End - #627

A New Client - Main Base

Don't you trust my word? Bledig asks, looking genuinely hurt. And really - Dipsnig can trust her word, in that she'll do precisely as she says and not a bit more. She sees he's going to be obstinate though - how did the goblins become this? - so she writes what is really a very simple contract.

Merc will kill the clearing guardian and collect a bouquet of the yellow petalled flowers that grow there. Upon completion they will be paid <$20,000 USD> in gold bullion.

Bledig Baines

Probably not.

Show

28. - Top - End - #628

[Gym]

((I'll post here later...))

[Somewhere near MERC]

As soon as he starts approaching the little creature takes a double-take and quickly puts away its book and appears to touch something underneath its 'desk'.
    "can'tchareadnoob?itsastation!aclosedstation!wildm imicsrunningamock!" It is talking... very fast. Might be a tad difficult to make sense of it, but it seems that this is just how it talks...

"I can tell you that KABAL won't give you trouble unless someone hired them to, and if that happen's we'll protect you. Since that's another aspect I wanted to discuss. I think we need to send a few members to guard the Magcave if that's okay if you. I know it isn't in the best condition right now and people in Skyside love solving their issues with violence. I doubt anyone would really bother, but just in case something does happen I'd want a few people making sure you're safe." Dena offers as she leans back in her armchair.

The cameras at the front entrance realign themselves as the two approach. "Membership you say? I'll have to set you up with one of our officers." A feminine voice says, coming through two two loudspeakers near the door. *bzttt* There is a pause before the voice speaks up again. "Looks like only Senior Officer Xifhara is available right now. Should I tell her that you are on your way? Her office is just inside."

29. - Top - End - #629

RedWizardGuy

"Yes, please," says Muun, dusting some snow off his and Anatya's not-the-best-for-cold-weather clothes. "Hopefully it's warmer in there," says Anatya shivering.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2018-11-21 at 07:23 PM.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

"It's less a matter of trust and more a matter of accountability and organization," Dipsnig says as he signs. "This way everything is written plain as day, without ambiguities. A service and a payment. Just the way I prefer it."