New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Beast Pens]

"It could be the carrier of a vile disease or curse, sent here by our enemies," Dipsnig says. "I've got way too good an imagination sometimes. Just focus on doing it quickly. Astrana and Rilla should have whatever components you need."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

"It came from me, that much I'm certain of." Dena insists and then waves her hand. "But yeah, just get it over quickly so we don't have to wonder."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Erasmus runs off to gather the ingredients. He returns, and chooses to use his magic to accelerate the ritual. After he finishes a short incantation, the feather and pearl crumble to ash. Erasmus should gain immediate detailed insight into the nature of any magical effects on the snake.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #64

[Entrance]

Fade returns from his tour to Trogs. Not much has happened there. At least he has killed some time.
    Now he has to wait again fro new customers or anyone else who wants to talk.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Erasmus runs off to gather the ingredients. He returns, and chooses to use his magic to accelerate the ritual. After he finishes a short incantation, the feather and pearl crumble to ash. Erasmus should gain immediate detailed insight into the nature of any magical effects on the snake.
    [Beast Pens]

The snakes magical properties are very much innate but he can still tell that it is capable of living for a very long time, far longer than normal snakes and even humans. In addition, he can tell that its poison, which is has, is magical in nature as well. Puts people in a suggestible state, like a rape drug. Finally, he can tell that is has a lot of untapped abilities. Whatever the snake is, it can't access its full range of abilities yet.

As the ritual is about to conclude, the snake suddenly stirs and quickly starts to fiercely trash against the cage its contained in.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    Erasmus relates his findings to Dena and Dipsnig. "It's got venom that acts as a drug, makes people vulnerable tew suggestion. It could live a long time, too. Dunno what'choo want tew do wiff it though." Erasmus looks at the writhing snake, making sure it doesn't escape.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

"What I'm interested in is making sure more such snakes don't show up. And actually bite people," Dipsnig says.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #68

[Beast Pens]

"I'll look into that. Don't worry about it."
    Dena replies. "We should probably hand the snake to Astrana in the meantime, she has uses for animals, right? That or keep it in the cage for Roxie."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

"We'll see if Roxie can tame it. Otherwise, Astrana can have it," Dipsnig says. "I wonder if it's the snake cult doing this. But Kirk and I fed them all to... whatever it is that eats corpses on that island. Maybe some slipped by. Either way, this could have gone a lot worse. Good job on that, Erasmus."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    "Thanks boss." Erasmus is eager to please. After all, he just got this job.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #71

[Beast Pens]

"Except someone hijacked my gaze, so its not impossible that someone is using other aspects of me with some voodoo magic." Dena insists. "Of course, this time I was wearing charms to protect me towards that sort of magic. So either the magic failed, or something else is going on." She shakes her head. "I'm going to hand over that snake to Astrana to see if she can make anything more out of it, or explain why it happened."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    If there were any magical effects on Dena (other than the fact that she's a gorgon) Erasmus should have been able to detect them when she entered. By now, his detection spell is wearing off.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

"True enough. Some of those lowlifes are still at large, or someone's using their methods," Dipsnig says. His ears then twitch as he glances over at Erasmus. "It's kind of a long story."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    "Maybe someday I'll get tew 'ear it over a pint." Erasmus isn't sure if he should be staying around in case something happens, but he does so anyway.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #75

[Beast Pens]

Magical effects you say? Since in that case, Erasmus might be a tad overwhelmed as Dena's clothes have several "holding effects" inscribed into their pockets, making each one able to contain multiple magical items that she can pull out at a moment's notice. She got at least one major artifact held there, an axe, along with several minor items such as gas bombs and such. In fact, there are so many enchantments on her person that Erasmus might get a bit overwhelmed.

He can detect that she is carrying two curses though, but can't make out what they are exactly.
    "Yeah, not going into that now. Just going to make sure there is nothing else to tell about this snake."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    Erasmus finally realizes that he can sense curses through the many enchantments on Dena. "Wait! Marm! Choo've got a pair o' curses on choo. Would'choo like me tew remove them?"

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

Dipsnig snickers, a sound not unlike shifting rocks underground.

"We've already tried just about anything. Although... last I checked, you only had one curse on you, Dena."

18. - Top - End - #78

[Beast Pens]

She waves dismissively. "Two actually, I carry a older one, but its useful to me so I'm not removing it." She turns to Erasmus. "I appreciate the offer, but one of the curses is beneficial to me, and the other one we already tried to remove so I'm not sure you can help me there."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    "If it's as 'ard tew get as choo say marm, I probably can't get it off. Some magic's just annoying that way." Erasmus puts his wand away, as his detection spell wears off.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

[Beast Pens]

"It seems we're done here," Dipsnig says. "I'm going to call Roxie, and then Astrana if that doesn't work. It could have gone much worse, really."

21. - Top - End - #81

[Beast Pens]

That's some thick accent...

"Magic is pretty annoying, yeah." Dena agrees. "Yet so very necessary." She looks at Dipsnig. "Just tell me when you're done with the snake, and keep me updated."
    Then she turns to Erasmus. "Good job catching that thing. If you see another one, come and tell me, okay?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Beast Pens
    "Certainly marm. Farewell." Erasmus leaves.

Yes it is. It's really tricky to write in

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

...and the trio pops up in a fairly large, but oddly designed room. Or rather, very much not oddly designed for folk with four legs rather than two. Various flat lounge spots of varying sizes and elevations are scattered around the room. There's a fire burning behind a grate on one end, with a velvet perch and a wide, flat bowl of some dark wood inlaid into the furniture in front of it.

Xun starts to gesture to a door The library is... when suddenly a wolf comes bounding out and sticks her nose in Eswil's face, sniffing curiously.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Kitty Quarters

...and the trio pops up in a fairly large, but oddly designed room. Or rather, very much not oddly designed for folk with four legs rather than two. Various flat lounge spots of varying sizes and elevations are scattered around the room. There's a fire burning behind a grate on one end, with a velvet perch and a wide, flat bowl of some dark wood inlaid into the furniture in front of it.

Xun starts to gesture to a door The library is... when suddenly a wolf comes bounding out and sticks her nose in Eswil's face, sniffing curiously.
    Kitty Quarters

GAH! What the frick!?" It seems like Eswill wasn't quite paying attention to what Xun was saying, too wrapped up in what to do next with Krayger or whether she should let him down gently for obvious, biological reasons. And now there are other, far more pressing biological concerns.

Such as the immediate Fight or Flight response trigger looming right in front of her. The gobbun stands stock still, so much so that she almost... yes, she's actually fading out of perception noticeably. Gobbun shamanistic camouflage magic at work, likely, as her otherwise vibrant clothing and bright white fur blurring at the edges and blending into the stone. Even her smell is likely strangely muted as she focuses inward, meditating on the concept of being nothing.

It should be enough to fool even a wolf's adept nose and keen hunting mind. Not to fool the two higher-thinking occupants of the room, however, when they're watching it happen in front of them. The stillness of nothing is great for not being noticed, but only if you start it while you're still unseen. And only masters can manage to move at more than a snail's pace while maintaining it.

It is, however, a very quick, silent, invocationless magic that can be done basically at will with very little preparation and mental strain, which is its major advantages over more steady and permanent erasures of a gobbun's presence.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

Krayger is not having the best time of it, this room clearly not being designed for someone of his height. But still, he must rescue Eswil from a lupine menace!
    That is to say, he gently scoops up the adolescent wolf and carries her out of the room whereupon he can shut the door. He's gotten used to the wolves being around and how best to deal with them. For the young ones, it's safe to rough-house with them if they're getting in the way.
    "I'm sorry about that, Eswil." he says, utterly serious and somber. The idea of laughing at the situation never even crosses his mind.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Xun jumps up on a nearby perch, so she's about even with Eswil's head. Sorry about Luna, she gets over excited.
    She won't hurt you though.
    She turns to Krayger, I don't suppose you could get some appropriate sized chairs and some drinks for us? And maybe a beef bone.

Back to Eswil! The books are here, but there's actually a work room right through that door. She pushes open the door to reveal a room with various chests, and carpets with arcane marks lining the walls and the floor.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Approaching the Base

A convoy of vehicles approach! In the lead is a monowheel, with a massive steel circle mounting an internal engine, seat and rider. Behind the monowheel are a pair of touring motorbikes with chunky wheels, black leather and shiny chrome, a tadpole-configured trike with a massive rear wheel, a two-wheeled vehicle with a pair of parallel wheels, a traditional trike with two rear wheels and finally a Kettenkrad half-track with a motorbike front fork. All the riders are human-sized humanoids wearing black leather jackets, jeans and antique steel helmets with a mix of eye-guards, nasal bars, crests and plumes. All the jackets, and a flag flying behind the Kettenkrad bear the design of a white horned humanoid skull-and-crossbones and the words 'Road Pirates' emblazoned beneath. The mismatched biker gang will roll into the area in front of the base, or a nearby carpark if one is available, as they stop. The monowheel rider kicks out a prop to keep their vehicle upright and starts to walk inside.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

[Approaching the Base]

The rider will find the door locked. However, a voice can be heard from the intercom:

"How may MERC help you?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Kitty Quarters]

Krayger is not having the best time of it, this room clearly not being designed for someone of his height. But still, he must rescue Eswil from a lupine menace!
    That is to say, he gently scoops up the adolescent wolf and carries her out of the room whereupon he can shut the door. He's gotten used to the wolves being around and how best to deal with them. For the young ones, it's safe to rough-house with them if they're getting in the way.
    "I'm sorry about that, Eswil." he says, utterly serious and somber. The idea of laughing at the situation never even crosses his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Kitty Quarters

Xun jumps up on a nearby perch, so she's about even with Eswil's head. Sorry about Luna, she gets over excited.
    She won't hurt you though.
    She turns to Krayger, I don't suppose you could get some appropriate sized chairs and some drinks for us? And maybe a beef bone.

Back to Eswil! The books are here, but there's actually a work room right through that door. She pushes open the door to reveal a room with various chests, and carpets with arcane marks lining the walls and the floor.
    Kitty Quarters

"Oh-kaaayy..." Eswill says as she slowly fades back into view. Wasn't as big a wolf as she'd thought, just looked bigger so up close. "But I did kinda say I should get going and report back. Where the heck are we, anyway, and how far is it from the Lower 5th Avenue in the Grey suburbs of Inside?" Eswill seems a bit put out at this sudden, unexpected (to her) teleport. She feels entirely unnecessary to de-runing Krayger's head, given her own style of magic barely touches on engraving.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

Krayger kneels down so he's closer to Eswil's eye-level.
    "We're at the MERC base, it's about an hour's trip or I'm sure Xun can get us back there quickly. But really, I would appreciate it if you could give me an hour. Xun can't actually cast any form of magic, just manipulate what's already there. We might really need your help." he asks of her. Xun has explained how her abilities work before, so he knows that she isn't really a caster.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]