New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

Approaching the Base

"Uh, yeah. We're looking for adventurers. One of our pit stops has been overrun by undead. Skeletons and zombies, mostly. And a necromancer. Or at least, a bloke who looks like he's alive with really pale skin, black robes and a staff topped by a human skull. We don't have any magicians worth a damn, and we're outnumbered. Plus all our best guns are on-site. Locked in a safe, hidden behind a fake wall in the lady's room." The rider's voice is more feminine than their appearance suggests. "Could I come in to discuss this face to face, with my sergeant-at-arms and treasurer? We'll pay." The monowheel rider takes off her Anglo-Saxon style helmet, revealing a red-skinned elf with large black eyes, pointed ears and short black hair.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

[Approaching the Base]

The door opens.

"Certainly. Come in and we can discuss the details."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Entering the Base

The red-skinned elf enters, followed by the Road Pirate's sergeant-at-arms and treasurer. The sergeant is a bulky purple-skinned male orc with a gold-capped tusk sticking from his lower lip, previously riding the dicycle, with a Sgt patch on his shoulder. An unnecessarily large revolver and a machete are holstered at his belt, and he has another knife in his boot. The treasurer is a skinless-looking ghoul, the driver of the Kettenkrad, with wisps of black hair sticking to their raw-looking scalp, and bright blue eyes. They carry an automatic pistol, but it's concealed beneath the jacket, and a balisong is folded in their pocket. The elf, the president of the club (or at least this chapter of it) is not carrying any weapons, but tucked inside their cut is a slim baobab-wood wand.

They'll look around, looking for somebody to motion them over to talk to. I'm not sure if there's any defences or metal detectors to identify weaponry, so I included what they're packing to be safe.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

[Entering the Base => Foyer]

In the foyer, the three will see Dipsnig, seated in a chair with a wolf under his feet. He'll motion them over to a set of nearby chairs in various sizes.

"Take a seat and we can discuss your undead problem."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Electra and Kirk have arrived back from their mission. Technically they made a stop here earlier, but it was mostly a pit stop that Dipsnig was not updated on. So as far as he knows when they seek him out they're just arriving back from Skyside.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Dipsnig can be found in his office, waiting to debrief them. As usual, he's surrounded by screens full of information. But also what looks like a letter from his mother, which he quickly hides when the two arrive.

"Kirk. Electra. It seems there was a shootout in Skyside, bigger than that place is used to. And it seems like it was your handiwork."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

Electra eyes Kirk for a moment, raising an eyebrow, then sighs, fixing her gaze on Dipsnig. It's been a very long day.

"Which one made the news? The one where we pinched a shipment of echo from KABAL's goons, the one with KABAL's SWAT squad barricading one of the streets we were escaping down, or the drone they used to attack us at the bottom of the elevator slaughtering a bunch of civilians with a rocket attack before we could manage to bring it down?" She expected their exploits to make the news. The suicidal idiot at the SWAT attack all but guaranteed that, the question is now, how much trouble they're in. Or rather, how much trouble they've caused for MERC, something she had been trying to avoid, but can't help now.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Xun nods as Krayger talks. Fey magic also tends to work quite well with the kind of things you have. It's all about finding the right natural counter. And I would expect your bag would help immensely.

The wolf whines somewhat unhappily behind the door.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Foyer

The three will take human-sized chairs, though only one is (technically) human. The elf sits in the middle, with the ghoul on the left and the orc on the right. "So, we've seen skeletons and zombies. Skeletons are what he arrived with, the zombies are... Were the staff and inhabitants. It's a little fortified petrol station, hidden in a canyon. Five buildings, the petrol station itself, a toilet and shower block, a little shop, a log cabin and a watch tower, plus a cave in the canyon behind a water fall. No walls or other defences, besides how hidden it is. There's other refuges and sanctuaries out there, but there's a map in the petrol station, showing three of the nearest. We can pay, we've got some emergency funds together, but it's not much. There's more in the pit stop." She's not sure what information is wanted, but that's what she knows. The sergeant-at-arms knows more precise numbers of enemies, and the treasurer knows the money side of things.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Kirk finds himself a seat and leans back in it, hooking on arm over the back of his chair. "I'll give one thing to Kabal; they don't hesitate." He raises his eyebrows at Dipsnig.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Kitty Quarters]

Krayger kneels down so he's closer to Eswil's eye-level.
    "We're at the MERC base, it's about an hour's trip or I'm sure Xun can get us back there quickly. But really, I would appreciate it if you could give me an hour. Xun can't actually cast any form of magic, just manipulate what's already there. We might really need your help." he asks of her. Xun has explained how her abilities work before, so he knows that she isn't really a caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Kitty Quarters

Xun nods as Krayger talks. Fey magic also tends to work quite well with the kind of things you have. It's all about finding the right natural counter. And I would expect your bag would help immensely.

The wolf whines somewhat unhappily behind the door.
    Kitty Quarters

"Oh..." Eswill's ears droop slightly, but she supposes if she's needed... "Maybe just explain that, next time. I didn't really get a good idea of why I was needed here before you activated that thingy. And you'd better bring the puppy back in. If she won't hurt me, it'd be best if she gets it out of her system now. I can always just fade again if she gets a bit too much." The gobbun subconsciously tugs at her tail, shifting from the pad of one foot to the other.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kitty Quarters]

Krayger gets up with a smile. "Sorry about that, then." he says, leaving the room. After a few minutes he'll come back with one large and one small chair, a nice cushion, a bone, two cups, and a bowl. He's also changed into a more comfortable pair of cotton trousers, because despite Eswil's magic he felt like his pants needed cleaning and his bag needed dropping off.
    "Ale for me, milk for Xun, and I didn't know what your people can drink so I just got you water for now and we can get you something better later, Eswil." he says, setting everything up wherever the two females are.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"All of them made the news," Dipsnig says. "Though it doesn't look like everyone pieced them together. There's been a lot of shooting and explosions, even by Skyside's standards, but there's some confusion about whether they're related or not." He looks to Kirk. "They really don't. They have it out for us, specifically, and they can't have been happy to lose a shipment of drugs, either. Tell me what happened, in detail."

[Foyer]

Dipsnig notes down the details.

"It's a pretty standard job, so we can take it. I'll see which of our members of licensees are available and have the appropriate skills for taking out undead."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Foyer

The elf will reach into her jacket, the opposite side to where she keeps her wand, and pulls out a rolled-up scroll. "Whomever you send will need this. It's a map of the canyons, showing the location of the pit stop and listing all the major landmarks and directions to find it properly." She'll set the scroll down on a table and unroll it; it's of an area of canyons, rifts, ravines and plateaus all jumbled together chaotically, called the Badlands of Lost Edwynn. The pit stop isn't too deep into the confusing terrain, but if the map is accurate, it's very well hidden. Most major routes lead around the area, and if Dipsnig is aware of the Badlands, this is probably the only complete map he's seen. "We hired some sirens to map the major rifts and canyons, then sent riders for the smaller ones. Going all the way through's still a little too dangerous; the centre is home to massive crustaceans, giant boars, hostile minotaurs, and that's just the stuff people have been able to get away from."

15. - Top - End - #105

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

Electra sighs again, shaking her head and closing her eyes, for a moment, before reaching up to her left auditory sensor as a hidden port on it unseals itself. She pulls away a datachip, and offers it to Dipsnig.

"They'll figure it out eventually, when people realize the car we stole was at or near all three incidents. Though I suppose I'm getting ahead of the tale." She waits for Dipsnig to take it, before going on.

"That's the report on the cultists that Esker compiled for us. The long and the short of it is that there wasn't a lot to find; they were all people of elvish or orcish decent, the locals all distrusted them for one reason or another, and all of them had a fixation on snakes and actual magic to boot. Esker told us that KABAL was holding all of the survivors of the attack except one; one that VIGIL managed to capture. She also said she would try and track down surviving MERC members and have a list for us in a couple of days. Not sure how that will pan out now." Electra gives Kirk a sidelong glance, then looks back to Dipsnig.

"We decided to try and see if we could pressure some of KABAL's grunts into telling us where they were holding the survivors. We staked out their office, and saw a bunch of goons heading out for a delivery in a van. We decided to try and follow them, maybe see if they might lead us to one of their safehouses where they might have had one of the cult members, so Kirk boosted a car from their lot, and we started tailing them. They noticed us, and started shooting. Since at that point, the idea of tailing them was out the window, I disabled their van by destroying a tire, and a druid VIGIL member who had been watching the whole time decided to get in on the fun. She shapeshifted from a bird into a bear and between the tire damage and the bear, the driver panicked and crashed. They were carrying a shipment of echo for distribution to their dealers. Kirk got a list of the dealers off of one of them, and after talking to Anika for a bit, she decided to stick with us, and I grabbed the bag with the shipment. Never know when you might need leverage, and I figured maybe getting the stuff analyzed might give us an angle. The KABAL members had called in that they had been hit before we managed to capture them, and reinforcements showed up about then, so after I disabled the reinforcements' vehicle, all three of us took off. That was the first fight."

She pauses, partly to gather her thoughts, and partly to let Dipsnig process and ask questions, not to mention letting Kirk tell any bits she's left out that he thinks might help Dipsnig understand what happened better.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-23 at 09:00 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Kitty Quarters

Xun lets Luna out of the room she's been shut in, and firmly tells her Sit! as she approaches Eswil. The wolf complies, although she shifts from paw to paw restlessly.

Once that's done, she starts pulling various books down from the shelf. She also motions Krayger into the next room. It will be easier to take a look in here - the room's shielded from outside magic influence.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

[Foyer]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    The elf will reach into her jacket, the opposite side to where she keeps her wand, and pulls out a rolled-up scroll. "Whomever you send will need this. It's a map of the canyons, showing the location of the pit stop and listing all the major landmarks and directions to find it properly." She'll set the scroll down on a table and unroll it; it's of an area of canyons, rifts, ravines and plateaus all jumbled together chaotically, called the Badlands of Lost Edwynn. The pit stop isn't too deep into the confusing terrain, but if the map is accurate, it's very well hidden. Most major routes lead around the area, and if Dipsnig is aware of the Badlands, this is probably the only complete map he's seen. "We hired some sirens to map the major rifts and canyons, then sent riders for the smaller ones. Going all the way through's still a little too dangerous; the centre is home to massive crustaceans, giant boars, hostile minotaurs, and that's just the stuff people have been able to get away from."
    Dipsnig nods as he examines the map.

"Not a very hospitable place. Alright. I'll make sure the people we send get this map."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Foyer

"No, it isn't. But mostly it's stuff we're aware of and prepared for. This necromancer caught us by surprise. Skeletons don't make half the noise of a boar, or minotaurs, or a chasmfiend. Big flyers don't like they narrow canyons, and rocket launchers scare off most of the rest. He won't have those; they're in the locked armoury." And undead just aren't something common enough in the Badlands to have plans for.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

[Foyer]

"Seems like a straightforward enough job, otherwise. I'll have someone on it soon," Dipsnig says.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Kirk produces the list when Electra mentions it and slides it toward Dipsnig. "It seems like Kabal employs some sort of necromancer or conjurer at the high levels. We encountered multiple apparently demonically possessed machines as well as risen corpses. In fact, we secured one of these machines that we can likely glean some information out of with Astrana's help."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

Dipsnig listens intently and takes some notes on the computer on his desk. It seems magical as much as it's electronic - Asuran magitech, no doubt.

"Spirit-possessed machines? That's a new one. Sounds like what those crazy gearheads from Whalebone Colony would've cooked up... except it works," he says. Though now that he thinks about it, didn't Electra encounter something like that on a job? He remembers a report... "We'll definitely need Astrana to take a look at it. Vigil's involvement makes this even more of a mess than it would normally be, but it sounds like the druid turned out to be useful."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Right Outside Base]

Oliver Slyfield, obese yet dexterous ex-bank heister, appears right outside the MERC base. He appears extremely excited and slightly drunk. He yells at the door, "Yo ,Dippy! Oh, ****, sorry! Yo, Dipsnig! I'm here to discuss employment, or licenses, or something!"
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

[Right Outside Base]

After a few moments, the door slides open. Once Oliver goes in, he'll find himself in a surprisingly cosy, round room warmed by a fireplace. There's a table in the middle and an assortment of chairs. Dipsnig is entering it from the other side, accompanied by a different wolf than the one he had with him in the Den.

"You made it here, I see."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Right Outside Base]

After a few moments, the door slides open. Once Oliver goes in, he'll find himself in a surprisingly cosy, round room warmed by a fireplace. There's a table in the middle and an assortment of chairs. Dipsnig is entering it from the other side, accompanied by a different wolf than the one he had with him in the Den.

"You made it here, I see."
    [Right Outside Base]

Oliver is looking around, muttering, "Sweet..." when Dipsnig walks in. "Yeah, after a run-in with a voodoo joker and a psycho zealot, as well as a trip to a gods' realm, I made it." If Dipsnig so much as raises an eyebrow after hearing that, Oliver's answer would be "Don't ask."
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-03-26 at 06:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

[Right Outside Base] ==> [Foyer]

Dipsnig's eyebrow does quirk, and one of his ears twitches. The wolf sits down and watches Oliver curiously.

"I don't ask such questions as a rule. And now you want to sign up with us, I take it."

26. - Top - End - #116

NinjaGuy

[Returning from mission]

"I seem to be a magnet for them for some reason," Electra comments flatly. Clearly, she's not exactly thrilled about it. "I don't think they're a necromancer, though, Kirk." She pauses, and shifts slightly. "I'm pretty sure the demon in the car was the one making the zombies at the road block. One of the zombies talked to me before I killed it, and it had the same voice as the thing in the car...and the one that tried to possess me on the elevator."

She looks to Dipsnig, her expression serious.

"Tell Astrana to be careful. I've encountered enough spirits trapped in machines here in the Nexus to have taken precautions, especially against demons after those imps, but I don't know what all tricks these ones have. Oh, and while we're on the subject of Astrana and magic in general, I do have an interview with the surviving cultist that she and Dena and whoever else we have that's skilled with magic should probably watch. If you have a blank datachip, I'll get you a copy right now, sir."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

[Returning from mission]

"Yes, we'll hopefully be able to verify a few claims she made. If we're fortunate, Dena won't have to worry about going through that **** again." Kirk says, his tone turning deadly. If she does, well, he knows who to go to first.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Right Outside Base] ==> [Foyer]

Dipsnig's eyebrow does quirk, and one of his ears twitches. The wolf sits down and watches Oliver curiously.

"I don't ask such questions as a rule. And now you want to sign up with us, I take it."
    [Foyer]

Oliver nods, saying, "I'm here to inquire about how much being a MERC operative would require of me. Either way, assuming that I decide to sign up, I will most likely just carry a license for a while, ti get used to being a Mercenary."
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-03-27 at 01:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

[Foyer]

"Carrying a license involves little," Dipsnig explains. "You receive our protection and discounts at certain establishments and we get a cut of our profits in return. Becoming a full member gives you access to MERC resources, but also means you answer to me and my senior officers."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-03-27 at 01:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Foyer]

"Carrying a license involves little," Dipsnig explains. "You receive our protection and discounts at certain establishments and we get a cut of your profits in return. Becoming a full member gives you access to MERC resources, but also means you answer to me and my senior officers."
    [Foyer]

"Yeeeeeah," Oliver says. "I'm leaning toward the license until I know what answering to you guys means. Something else that may influence my decision is exactly what your resources are." Oliver is obviously uncomfortable about being put under rules.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-03-27 at 04:05 PM.