New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default offline 4e character builder stopped working, please help!

Hi all,

I've been using offline 4e CB with CBloader for years. I haven't changed anything on my computer, but I tried to run it today and it says it stopped working before it even launches. I tried re-installing, I tried restarting my computer, I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    SZ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: offline 4e character builder stopped working, please help!

Use
    cbloader -r "filename"
    to generate a keyfile, then
    cbloader -k "filename"
    to use that keyfile.

You have to be at the command prompt and maybe have to be an admin to do this.

This can fix bugs with OS changes and key store problems.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2018-01-22 at 02:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Use
    cbloader -r "filename"
    to generate a keyfile, then
    cbloader -k "filename"
    to use that keyfile.

You have to be at the command prompt and maybe have to be an admin to do this.

This can fix bugs with OS changes and key store problems.

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. How do I do that?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by serenityzero View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. How do I do that?
    Search your computer for Command Prompt software; assuming you have Windows, simply type 'cmd' in the search field. Then, right-click on the icon (black box with a text 'C:\') and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Next step is to write:

cbloader -r "filename"

and press enter.

next step is to write:

cbloader -k "filename"

and press enter.

In both occasions replace "filename" with whatever you'd like or have previously used (as long as it's the same both times)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-23 at 12:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi,

I tried and my cmd says that cbloader is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I can see it sitting there in my WOTC folder with all the character builder files...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

You need to "cd" into that directory on the command prompt.

Really, you need to find a tutorial on using windows/cmd.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2018-01-24 at 09:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi,

I tried and my cmd says that cbloader is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I can see it sitting there in my WOTC folder with all the character builder files...
    Try these steps:

1 - find CBloader.exe on your computer
    2 - open the folder that contains that file
    3 - click in the address bar
    4 - copy the whole file path (Ctrl+C)
    5 re-try the cmd codes like this :

"paste the file path with Ctrl+V"/cbloader.exe -r tempkeyfile
    [ENTER]
    "paste the file path with Ctrl+V"/cbloader.exe -k tempkeyfile
    [ENTER]

Note: make sure there's only one " / " between the file path and "cbloader.exe". If there's one already when you paste it, don't add another one.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi,

When I ran the first command the window saying the program has stopped working came up. The cmd prompt spat this out

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\Shauna\Documents\Char acter Builder/cbloader.exe -r
    tempkeyfile
    'C:\Users\Shauna\Documents\Character' is not recognized as an internal or extern
    al command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\Shauna\Documents\CB/cbloader.exe -r tempkeyfile

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer fo
    r 'CharacterBuilderLoader.Log' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializatio
    nException: The type initializer for 'CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager' threw
    an exception. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write p
    rotected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.nInit(Assembly& assembly, Boolean forIntros
    pection, Boolean raiseResolveEvent)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence as
    semblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Bool
    ean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureI
    nfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMar
    k& stackMark)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
    at System.Configuration.TypeUtil.CreateInstanceWithRe flectionPermission(Strin
    g typeString)
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManagerInternalF actory.get_Instance()
    at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.CanIni tialize()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeConfigSettings ()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeWithStatus()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.get_SwitchSetting()
    at System.Diagnostics.BooleanSwitch.get_Enabled()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.RecursionLimiter..ctor()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.Imp ortTypeMapping(Type type
    , XmlRootAttribute root, String defaultNamespace)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultName
    space)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type)
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager..cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager.get_BasePath()
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Log..cctor()
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Log.Error(String msg, Exception e)
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Program.Main(String[] args)

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Users\Shauna\Documents\CB/cbloader.exe -k tempkeyfile

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer fo
    r 'CharacterBuilderLoader.Log' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializatio
    nException: The type initializer for 'CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager' threw
    an exception. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write p
    rotected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at System.Reflection.AssemblyName.nInit(Assembly& assembly, Boolean forIntros
    pection, Boolean raiseResolveEvent)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence as
    semblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Bool
    ean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureI
    nfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMar
    k& stackMark)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
    at System.Configuration.TypeUtil.CreateInstanceWithRe flectionPermission(Strin
    g typeString)
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManagerInternalF actory.get_Instance()
    at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.CanIni tialize()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeConfigSettings ()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeWithStatus()
    at System.Diagnostics.Switch.get_SwitchSetting()
    at System.Diagnostics.BooleanSwitch.get_Enabled()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.RecursionLimiter..ctor()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.Imp ortTypeMapping(Type type
    , XmlRootAttribute root, String defaultNamespace)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultName
    space)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type)
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager..cctor()
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.FileManager.get_BasePath()
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Log..cctor()
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Log.Error(String msg, Exception e)
    at CharacterBuilderLoader.Program.Main(String[] args)

I have no idea what this means. Does it have to do with the folder where my CB is installed? Right now it's in my documents which is where it was the last time it worked (I didn't change a single thing between running it and it working and trying to run it and getting the program stopped working problem. Did I install it wrong? I unzipped the folder and moved the files into the folder I have CB in. There aren't any other executables among the files--is there some other step I'm missing?

Now though something else is happening. When I try to run it from the folder, it says "this app can't run on your PC" (windows 8.1) So I tried looking that up and read I should try to run the compatibility troubleshooter. It gets as far as asking me to test the program with the settings it changed, so I click "test program" and....nothing happens.

Thank you very much for your help. I home something in here narrows down the problem :S

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now though something else is happening. When I try to run it from the folder, it says "this app can't run on your PC" (windows 8.1) So I tried looking that up and read I should try to run the compatibility troubleshooter. It gets as far as asking me to test the program with the settings it changed, so I click "test program" and....nothing happens.
    I'm useless with programming stuff, but I think I can at least state this with confidence: I don't think it's a compatability issue with regard to the edition of Windows you're running. Mine works just fine and I've updated several times since installing it, currently running Windows 10.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    I'm useless with programming stuff, but I think I can at least state this with confidence: I don't think it's a compatability issue with regard to the edition of Windows you're running. Mine works just fine and I've updated several times since installing it, currently running Windows 10.

Yeah I've been running it for years on windows 8.1 and I didn't make any changes to my system, it just suddenly up and died. It's weird that that's the error message it's showing--though it itself isn't the one saying it's a compatibility issue, that's just the answer I found when I looked up the error message.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Not to derail much, but I had a very odd issue with my CB recently, as well. First I thought I'd just let it be, but since you guys seem to be more knowledgeable than I am, I thought I might to give it a shot anyway.

It started when I tried to send a character-file to my DM over Skype. At first, it didn't send anything, only froze the builder. Then I noticed I couldn't save any changes to my character builds nor make new saves. Then, as I tried to access the folder to see if I could refresh caches, just hovering the cursor over the folder caused File Explorer to freeze, and then reload to a point that as if I hadn't even opened File Explorer. I managed uninstall and remove the program along with all its folders and files from the computer, but as I reinstalled it (the same way as I did previously) the same problem occurred: I still couldn't access the builder files.

I'm at a loss, and decided to give up, and remove the crap altogether, again.

If anyone knows what could be causing this, please tell me if it can be fixed. I'm using windows 10, and the builder used to work just fine until it just didn't.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-25 at 07:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

That's super weird. The only thing I can think of is to delete all traces of it from the computer (but backing up character files) and then make sure the registry entries are gone (I use CCleaner to fix registry errors). I have no idea if this would work but it's all I can think of. :S

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I see the documentation wiki has been resurrected, allegedly with a new version (1.3.2b4) (well, its new to me). I haven't tried it, but you can find it here.
    Last edited by Beoric; 2018-01-25 at 10:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

You HAVE to use Internet Explorer. Your version of Windows may be prompting you to use Windows Edge by default, and that will not load. Symbols look similar. Internet Explorer still free and available of course.