New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Hm... this reads very nicely but do I sing it as a church choir piece, or do I sing it like an epic hymn, or using Pop Music in the background? I'm conflicted...

Also, week two of updates containing Hymn's Songs.. I wonder how long this will last.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hm... this reads very nicely but do I sing it as a church choir piece, or do I sing it like an epic hymn, or using Pop Music in the background? I'm conflicted...
    That depends. Do you want to be shot by a irate composer?

Or by a very irate composer?
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2018-02-05 at 06:23 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Let's try it out...

O PERFECTIO BENEDICTA

O perfectio benedicta
    status suavis
    quam nemo consequit
    se ipsum amans

O perfectio benedicta
    Arma deum
    divarumque forma
    infinitas elegans

O perfectio benedicta
    mihi portus et perfugium
    Carmen Musae meae
    A mundo inauditum

O perfection benedicta
    gloriam nuntia imminentem
    diem novum proclama ardentem
    Me destrue et gaude.

DESIDERARE ETERNUM

canat lux coris mei
    animae tenebris eternibus
    canat lux amoris mei
    infinito desiderio nostro

desiderare eternum

sit lux coris mei
    stella mundum illuminans
    sit lux amoris mei
    ignis in frigore solitudinis

desiderare eternum

lux et amor
    desiderare eternum
    lux et amor
    domus infinita

desiderare eternum

Now, who wants to do some improv karaoke?

Yep, no doubt it works.

Unfortunately, there is a limit to how many times it can work.
    First is great, second is fine, but third song updates that requires translation to an unreadable language to take some enjoyment of it?
    Perhaps we should change the thread title to "Star Power VI: Testing our patience"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Yep, no doubt it works.

Unfortunately, there is a limit to how many times it can work.
    First is great, second is fine, but third song updates that requires translation to an unreadable language to take some enjoyment of it?
    Perhaps we should change the thread title to "Star Power VI: Testing our patience"
    My patience was already tested when those Pilgrims travelled through the desert of Maltak to find the Zel Gux backstory.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    My patience was already tested when those Pilgrims travelled through the desert of Maltak to find the Zel Gux backstory.
    Lmao, oh Maltak.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was re-reading the DD archives, and noticed this: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-05-24

Apparently, Dominic had his intelligent, talking, very much human cat castrated?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I was re-reading the DD archives, and noticed this: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2002-05-24

Apparently, Dominic had his intelligent, talking, very much human cat castrated?
    I think it was explained his former owner castrated it. But I can't find the source, I think it was part of a few short biographies on the page that aren't available any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I think it was explained his former owner castrated it. But I can't find the source, I think it was part of a few short biographies on the page that aren't available any more.
    Is that a Mookie rewrite after he got negative responses?

Also, how long will the bad songs go on??
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2018-02-09 at 01:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Pro Tip: If you make a character who is supposedly good at something you suck at, then be vague about their talent.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Pro Tip: If you make a character who is supposedly good at something you suck at, then be vague about their talent.
    Agreed, the scenes where he is testing new singers was perfect. Random notes appear and he declares them perfect or shoots them in the face. Nothing for us to judge music wise, so we can pretend he truly is a master that can make everyone love him even if they normally hate that type of music.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Is... Is that a pin-up? Did they make a pin-up of... tentacle alien? (sorry, girl, I forgot your name. Heck, I forgot your gender)
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind pin-up, even of non-humans, but for valentine's day? That is just three kinds of weird stacked on top of each other.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #42

Ugh, is he on some sort of sabbatical or something? How many weeks is this lack of story going to go on for?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #44

BAH!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Wow... The story finally continues. Also: wow, he is still making that joke.
    And we didn't even get a psy cop to start the issue
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Mookie, that pun wasn't funny the first time. And you haven't changed the context or the substance of the pun, so even if it were funny the first time, it'd definitely have lost its power by now.

(A pun can be kept alive through various scenarios if it's played with and mixed up, but that isn't what's happened here.)

Actually, it's not even really a pun. It's more of a, like, false malapropism or something? I'm not even sure what to call it. Perhaps the weakest dramatic irony possible, since the audience knows something (the speaking character correctly said the word "Hymn's" rather than the ungrammatical word "him's") that another character on stage doesn't know? At least for, like, two-thirds of a second in universe? It'd be more of a pun if he were directly playing with confusion between the noun "Hymn" and the pronoun "him," but that isn't really what's happening here, since the alleged humor in the joke is from the idea that someone sounds ungrammatical when they're actually being completely correct. (It might conceivably be amusing if that sort of thing kept happening to a character in different ways, where they end up saying things that are correct but that sound ungrammatical, but that's not what's been presented to us here.)

Either way, doing the exact same joke in the exact same way doesn't work. Even a good running gag needs to run rather than simply being copied.

Anyway, for the update itself, there's minimal content here aside from "Danica likes Hymn's work," but that was kind of already established. I guess showing that she's choosing to listen to it on her own is maybe slightly relevant? What really bothers me (aside from the dead-horse "joke" I spent too long complaining about above) is that I cannot tell what she's supposed to be doing. Okay, no, I can tell that she's supposed to be chillaxing close to, like, some stars or something? But those stars look hella close together, unless they're actually really just about the size of a largeish horse and Danica's actually really close to them, in which case they probably aren't, y'know, stars. They're just random white circles.

I respect that scale is going to be nearly impossible to show when dealing with objects of the size of celestial bodies next to a human being (and with no other humans or human-created things for scale), but this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Anyway, for the update itself, there's minimal content here aside from "Danica likes Hymn's work," but that was kind of already established. I guess showing that she's choosing to listen to it on her own is maybe slightly relevant? What really bothers me (aside from the dead-horse "joke" I spent too long complaining about above) is that I cannot tell what she's supposed to be doing.
    Danica is preparing for the meeting with Hymn.
    She wants to tell him that she downloaded all his music to her Ipod, and she listens to it all the time when she is flying between stars.

On the other hand, perhaps she shouldn't mention that she just used her supercomputer to illegally download the music instead of buying a disk.

18. - Top - End - #48

Hmm, (not hymn) I have two theories right now. One has Hymn being the big bad monster involving mind control via music. The second would be interesting for its much lower scale issue rather than an ever expanding threat list. Basically, he is obsessed with perfection, the second danica screws something up he turns homicidal on her and she is stuck trying to avoid obliterating him with her battleship exploding might, and getting killed from holding back.

For option 1, I was kinda hoping mitch wouldnt like the music and it would become some sort of clue that it isnt as good as they are thinking it is, because its really mind control forcing them to listen and obey, that sort of thing. Making for an interesting bit of drama where mitch is trying to get danica to accept this and she is refusing to believe such a horrible thing about such a great man.

Option 2 would just be amusing. Going from dealing with a lunatic empress out to obliterate the galaxy, to a psycho music nut who goes homicidal whenever he experiences imperfection. "GAAAH! How dare you hum my music so off key?!" /blam blam blam

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

If Hymn kills people with this frequency, you'd think someone would have noticed by now.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    If Hymn kills people with this frequency, you'd think someone would have noticed by now.
    I'm guessing it's the same woman from the last chapter.
    Maybe to show the readers that, yes, she is dead and it wasn't just a stun gun.

Either way, it's very unlikely that it's his first kill, so your question remains.
    Maybe it will be answered soon along with how he get rids of the body and the blood stains on his PERFECT carpet?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

That is extremely unlikely. I wouldn't put it past Mookie to do something silly like that, but for competent people, that's not how storytelling works.

Either way, it's very unlikely that it's his first kill, so your question remains.
    Maybe it will be answered soon along with how he get rids of the body and the blood stains on his PERFECT carpet?
    Hopefully, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mookie didn't actually bother to think about that.

22. - Top - End - #52

Beholder

Everyone knows PERFECT carpets are stain resistant, silly.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Your question is answered. "When in doubt, set someone on fire." And it was a guy, not a gal.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Your question is answered. "When in doubt, set someone on fire." And it was a guy, not a gal.
    Well, one of the questions...
    Also : what the hell? Is this supposed to be self aware? Lamp shade hanging? What? Because to me it really is just extremely cliché writing that is made worse by hitting you on the head with how bad it is.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Also : what the hell? Is this supposed to be self aware? Lamp shade hanging? What? Because to me it really is just extremely cliché writing that is made worse by hitting you on the head with how bad it is.
    The Unexpected Turn: Danica is wowed when this musician turns out to be as rad as advertised and falls head over heals in love with him.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

My theories: it sets up the garden as an important place, it's a killing field. I expect Danica to get some seriously bad vibes from it. Plus killing a man instead of a woman makes it clear Hymn is an equal-opportunity psychopath and there is no violence-against-women theme.
    ― Joseph Stalin

27. - Top - End - #57

The Star cluster was drawn by someone completely uninterested in astronomy, I think.

And Hymn, as a story concept, was written by someone completely uninterested in common sense. It defies logic in so many ways, Darkwing Duck villains had more originality and setting awareness.

Ahhhh. I should leave this comic alone. It just messes me up.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought the comedic route can work, but I don't think it's possible anymore after making sure we know it's a murder and that we should take it seriously.

The serious story is also problematic because there is a difference between killing random people, and killing people who went to your job interview.
    I do wonder it Mookie thought about a way to explain it, but I don't have high hopes.

I also fail to see how Hymn can pose any threat to Danica.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Because she's not perfect?

He's a very bad boy.

It's going to be silly.

Roll with it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He has a gun. He can shoot her.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")