New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I get the feeling this is to setup some sort of misunderstanding relationship drama between the three of them. Like danica is going to be upset when she inevitably learns whats really going on that they couldnt tell her or something. They arent telling her because opsec is a thing and talking about important secret missions over your cell phone is probably not the best idea. And they didnt exactly have time to track her down wherever the heck she is and chat it out in person.
    There's also the thing where the one family they are going after seems to be setting up all the other families for a big bust. Which they probably deserve in terms of overall right and wrong, but if it's actually technically bogus in terms of it's actual particular details that's a thing. It gets horribly convuluted if they get off because it was made up and the guys who made it up say thank us for making it up.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

I can’t read that last panel without thinking about how Hark! A Vagrant did it better.

(Yes, the H!AV joke was based on a famous climactic moment from a classic noh play, but regardless.)
    Last edited by Zaq; 2019-05-15 at 08:32 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Um...why is Burke going in to pick up a cargo shipment a bad idea? I'm sure that place does legitimate business, so they must be used to strangers coming in and picking stuff up. As long as he doesn't act suspicious, he should be fine.

...And what the heck sort of "cargo" does a brothel have? It's a service industry. It doesn't make cargo. I mean, unless it's a brothel/factory. Maybe they make shoes on the side?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Barbarian in the Playground

Presumably the madam traffics some contraband on the side.

I don't see how the plan can possibly make sense - "two people having a fight" is not less conspicuous than "a customer" (or "a pair of customers" for that matter).
    So I'm gonna go ahead and call this "weak excuse to set up wacky misunderstanding."

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Let me guess, this is to pretend Grex is from a rival faction so Burke gains more influence or something?

Not that I see how it will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Presumably the madam traffics some contraband on the side.

I don't see how the plan can possibly make sense - "two people having a fight" is not less conspicuous than "a customer" (or "a pair of customers" for that matter).
    So I'm gonna go ahead and call this "weak excuse to set up wacky misunderstanding."
    That still doesn't work, though. Even if she deals in drugs or weapons or what have you, she'd be just that: a dealer. She'd sell to end users because it would be rather suspicious for delivery trucks to regularly stock up at a brothel. If you want storage space, you bribe someone at the docks to let you use one of their warehouses.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

She has a secure line to make a phone call off the planet, obviously prostitution is not her only business. Maybe not even her main ones.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

I won't criticize the plan itself, I'm willing to give it a chance.
    However, I am confused about a need for a plan in the first place.

The entire point to use Burke is because he is a low profile criminal who will not be recognized as a threat.
    He arrived alone, as a tourist, and even if someone checks his background they will just see a minor criminal entering a "house of delight".
    Sure, the place is being watched, but do they just kill everyone that exits the place regardless of what he did there?

How do they even know that the watch is related to the detective? They know about the meeting so the entire city is probably filled with spies and watchers all over.

9. - Top - End - #1419

That still doesn't work, though. Even if she deals in drugs or weapons or what have you, she'd be just that: a dealer. She'd sell to end users because it would be rather suspicious for delivery trucks to regularly stock up at a brothel. If you want storage space, you bribe someone at the docks to let you use one of their warehouses.
    Ah, I think I see the problem.
    You assume "cargo" implies "truckloads of stuff" when it could just as well be hyperbole for "a USB thumbdrive."

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Colossus in the Playground

So anyone have any idea why the comics not updating?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

So anyone have any idea why the comics not updating?
    Update says Garth moved and couldn't finish in time. We get to see some sketches so we could make a game of guessing the dialogue to it...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #1422

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Update says Garth moved and couldn't finish in time. We get to see some sketches so we could make a game of guessing the dialogue to it...
    Oh of course he posts that right after I check and see the same comic from before. That jerk is trying to make me look bad in front of my peers! /angrily shakes fist at mookie

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Oh of course he posts that right after I check and see the same comic from before. That jerk is trying to make me look bad in front of my peers! /angrily shakes fist at mookie
    He's such a jerk, isn't he?

Well, I guess the plan worked? I mean, Burke might die and they definitely drew their attention but... She got in. Instead of just walking in like a normal person.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from the obvious problems, there is also another hiccup in the plan: The detective SPECIFICALLY asked for Burke.
    That was the entire point of sending him instead of Grex and another soldier in the first place.

Will the detective even agree to give the files to her?

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm having Copperfield flashbacks. "Please, Sir, Can I Have Some Hoes?"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

How do Grex and Burke know that he isn't about to be killed?

17. - Top - End - #1427

How do Grex and Burke know that he isn't about to be killed?
    My guess would be casual murder isnt really a thing with these crime families. A brutal stomping yes, open killing? Not for something like this. Just because you are a member of the purple corleone family doesnt mean you are going to randomly kill everyone you dont like. It IS a risk, but im guessing they are pretty sure its very low risk it ends in death. In all likelihood burke is going to have black eyes and bruises all over, but be allowed to scamper off after they "teach him a lesson" Im guessing that they are the "doormen" of the establishment, they dont want to bring official attention on themselves by leaving a body.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Aside from the obvious problems, there is also another hiccup in the plan: The detective SPECIFICALLY asked for Burke.
    That was the entire point of sending him instead of Grex and another soldier in the first place.

Will the detective even agree to give the files to her?
    Yeah, that seems off to me as well. Mookie forgot?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

My guess would be casual murder isnt really a thing with these crime families. A brutal stomping yes, open killing? Not for something like this. Just because you are a member of the purple corleone family doesnt mean you are going to randomly kill everyone you dont like. It IS a risk, but im guessing they are pretty sure its very low risk it ends in death. In all likelihood burke is going to have black eyes and bruises all over, but be allowed to scamper off after they "teach him a lesson" Im guessing that they are the "doormen" of the establishment, they dont want to bring official attention on themselves by leaving a body.
    Sure, that makes sense for a more small scale operation, but we are being lead to believe that these guys have so much political clout and such high ranking cops on their payroll that they basically are the government. For a group like that, it's easy to cover up indiscriminate murder (especially if the victim is a traveler), and using such would be a great intimidation technique. No one's going to mess with the gang that is so powerful and merciless that they kill people for the smallest slights.

In the end, I'm casting this as Mookie (once again) not considering the ramifications of his own world building and is just thoughtlessly combining tropes from completely different stories. All powerful shadow governments are cool, and thugs beating people up is cool, even if they don't exactly fit together.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

So Burke will either be in hospital or dead. What a great plan.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

I think what cracked me up is "You go inside and enjoy yourself", confirming that this entire plan was pointless from the start.

Here is what SHOULD have been plan A:

Burke goes inside, have a few drinks, maybe a lap dance, takes the data unnoticed and leaves.
    Why would anyone suspect him?

Grex discovers that he is being followed? Time for a better plan B:
    Repeat plan A for a couple of days without contacting the detective, just signaling him that they are being followed.
    After a few days, he will be ignored as a regular customer-tourist (which he technically is), and taking the information on the bar while pretending to have a casual talk with another customer will be possible.

There are flaws, and he can be discovered followed or whatever, but the current plan does NOTHING to fix the same problems, and is a lot more painful.

22. - Top - End - #1432

Sure, that makes sense for a more small scale operation, but we are being lead to believe that these guys have so much political clout and such high ranking cops on their payroll that they basically are the government. For a group like that, it's easy to cover up indiscriminate murder (especially if the victim is a traveler), and using such would be a great intimidation technique. No one's going to mess with the gang that is so powerful and merciless that they kill people for the smallest slights.

In the end, I'm casting this as Mookie (once again) not considering the ramifications of his own world building and is just thoughtlessly combining tropes from completely different stories. All powerful shadow governments are cool, and thugs beating people up is cool, even if they don't exactly fit together.
    Not so much, I called them the purple corleone family for a reason. If you watch the godfather you will see the various families own cops, heck, one uses the freaking police chief as his backup for a meeting with michael. They own the local cops to at least enough of an extent that they can do a lot of illegal things without hassle, but there are still limits to what they can do without bringing on too much attention. Beating the tar out of someone is easily ignored, murdering and disposing of the body is something else. Why do you think michael had to leave the country for a time after he shot those guys? That was too much of a splash to be covered up easily. He had to leave till the heat died back down, then he waltzed back into nyc like it never happened. Killings do happen, but they dont happen casually. They arent going to murder a guy because he slapped a chick who wanted to go to their business. They are going to kick his butt then run him off.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

There's a huge flaw in your plan(s) : who is paying for all those drinks lap dances?! Those aren't cheap, I assume. Not that I would know. They don't have a budget for that!
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a huge flaw in your plan(s) : who is paying for all those drinks lap dances?! Those aren't cheap, I assume. Not that I would know. They don't have a budget for that!
    Hmmm, guess you're right.

Sorry Burke, no budget for a lap dance, time to call someone to beat you.

Hope he is insured, because there is no budget for medical bills either.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Hmmm, guess you're right.

Sorry Burke, no budget for a lap dance, time to call someone to beat you.

Hope he is insured, because there is no budget for medical bills either.
    Oh, those will heal by themselves. And if not, I'm sure MillFed has magic medicine and universal health care.

And now the inevitable romance.... Uh.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #1436

Oh, those will heal by themselves. And if not, I'm sure MillFed has magic medicine and universal health care.

And now the inevitable romance.... Uh.
    Nothing like watching a pair of mature hardened professionals suddenly forgetting their priorities and acting like hormone ridden teens.
    Last edited by faustin; 2019-05-29 at 04:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

On a positive note, it does explain why the detective will ignore his own demand for the messenger.
    Because men and a pretty lady.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

"Zhit" is, perhaps, the laziest attempt at sci-fi swearing.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Zhit" is, perhaps, the laziest attempt at sci-fi swearing.
    Zuck and Zhit... am I seeing a trend here?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Zuck and Zhit... am I seeing a trend here?
    Nope, I zon't zee any zrend herez.