Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Otherwise, I would say that if people cheer for the villain then the protagonist is probably blander then overcooked oatmeal and just as likable.
    That is one possibility, but it's not the only possibility. In society, there are all sorts of things people cannot do, things people will not do, things that defy basic ethics and morality. Yet, it is difficult to truly escape animalistic urges. That's why people find solace in violent entertainment: it's catharsis. Rooting for villains is the same. It's a way for people to vicariously enjoy the things that they can never do in real life. Entertainment is escapism.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Anyway, yeah, I see now that it was just trolling, but I just don't get why people need to be emotionally involved in the story. Sure, the hero sucks, but that doesn't mean we have to start rooting for the villain.
    I feel emotional investment is an important part of the story. I will follow very few media if I don't give a **** about anyone involved. Granted, it can be someone else than the hero or villain but I need someone I like.
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    The problem with Billy was that he was setting out to do something much more difficult than Danica. Danica's just too powerful. We have seen her destroy starships with her bare hands. Billy was going to take on this abomination of power, although that all odds were staked against him. And then he once again had to overcome the odds by getting out of space jail.
    So it's normal to root for him, or to have expectations. It's clear that the story wanted him to be awesome. Which didn't really happen, he was one of the many underpowered, fumbling, obsessed-for-no-reason enemies Danica had to face. However, if you are in the mood of the story, you can skip over these details and read the story the way it was meant to be read (which doesn't mean that it achieves to be what it was meant to be).


    Anyway, Chief is clearly on drugs
    http://www.starpowercomic.com/comic/2015-01-05/
    And what the hell is that talking thing in panel 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Schllaand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    What do you guys think of this blog post? Is it okay for people to cheer for antagonists? For villains? To try to justify the villains' actions?
    I always thought the better written a villain is the more people will cheer for them, even if they are objectively evil. The only way to reduce that effect is to have them do comically evil acts, often out of character, making their characterization worse. BHB killing his AI ship did establish that he was a ruthless psychopath; but it also established that he throws away important assets and hurts himself in the long run. You know, that he's a bit of an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    There could be other reasons besides the characters to enjoy the story, i.e. exciting plot, interesting premise, lots of funnies, etc., but maybe that isn't the case here.

    And Redcloak from OOtS is generally considered to be a good character, but I don't think anyone's rooting for him.

    EDIT:Oh, and the many-armed thing is this.
    Last edited by Elanasaurus; 2018-04-28 at 09:42 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Honest Tiefling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    That is one possibility, but it's not the only possibility. In society, there are all sorts of things people cannot do, things people will not do, things that defy basic ethics and morality. Yet, it is difficult to truly escape animalistic urges. That's why people find solace in violent entertainment: it's catharsis. Rooting for villains is the same. It's a way for people to vicariously enjoy the things that they can never do in real life. Entertainment is escapism.
    I won't disagree with that, but I think another possibility, especially for a web comic people are following to mock, is that the author sets up the villain to be incompetent or to fail. But since people are often frustrated or annoyed at the author for giving the hero a free pass to victory and moral superiority, why not root for the villain? Immersion is broken, so why not root for the guy who has to work for everything?

    The same way that if a video game TELLS the player to care about something without really convincing the player, they're more inclined to light it on fire because humans are weird like that.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2018-04-28 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I won't disagree with that, but I think another possibility, especially for a web comic people are following to mock, is that the author sets up the villain to be incompetent or to fail. But since people are often frustrated or annoyed at the author for giving the hero a free pass to victory and moral superiority, why not root for the villain? Immersion is broken, so why not root for the guy who has to work for everything?

    The same way that if a video game TELLS the player to care about something without really convincing the player, they're more inclined to light it on fire because humans are weird like that.
    Oh, I see.

    Wait— you guys are STILL mocking this guy? After 11 years? Looks like his work is enduring the test of time quite well.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Oh, I see.

    Wait— you guys are STILL mocking this guy? After 11 years? Looks like his work is enduring the test of time quite well.
    Maltak broke everyone.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post

    EDIT:Oh, and the many-armed thing is this.
    Compare that page with this

    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I... Think it could be an eye? Or... Or... Well, there's no ****oris, but that's not saying much. I don't know!
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    To me, it looks like glossy paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Schllaand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I hope so. I like them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I hope so. I like them!
    No disagreements here.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Honest Tiefling's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I... Think it could be an eye? Or... Or... Well, there's no ****oris, but that's not saying much. I don't know!
    If I had to guess, it is meant to represent a third eye, which is often depicted as being vertical. Maybe it is mean to symbolize rebirth?

    I'm not so sure about glowing vayjayjays. That seems tacky.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2018-04-30 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Wow. That is one cavernous vagina.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Posted by Mookie

    For basically the whole of my art career I have failed to practice. Drawing comics IS my practice. I do it a lot and there’s a lot of repetition and I’m pretty critical of my work so it kinda works out, but it’s not really practice. I don’t spend the time sitting down and doing studies of hands, or really any kind of sketching. I don’t experiment much with styles or techniques. I’ve got deadlines so at best I refine the techniques I already know. Admittedly, it’s done pretty well for me. Over the last 14 years of comicing, I’ve gotten pretty good at this whole art thing. But I can’t help but wonder…

    How much better would I be today if I had spent some of that decade and a half actually practicing?

    Thankfully, it is never too late to get good at a thing, and I have so many things I want to get good(er) at.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    Thankfully, it is never too late to get good at a thing, and I have so many things I want to get good(er) at.
    Too true.

    But that's true for all of us, too.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Over the last 14 years of comicing, I’ve gotten pretty good at this whole art thing.
    *laughs hysterically*
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    How much better would I be today if I had spent some of that decade and a half actually practicing?
    The great mystery of the ages.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    *laughs hysterically*
    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The great mystery of the ages.
    Well, to be fair, letting someone else do the work is a pretty clever workaround.

    And it seems Hymn has some kind of god-complex/cult thing going on.

    Time to blow up the planet entire friggin solar system I guess?
    I mean, just look how creepy he looks in that outfit.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    So that's the new colorist, Rebecca McConnell.

    https://www.rebeccamcconnell.com/
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2018-05-09 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, to be fair, letting someone else do the work is a pretty clever workaround.
    It certainly is. The early chapters may have had some wonky propotions here and there, but I haven't had any complaints about the art in forever. Garth is way too good for Mookie.

    And this new colorist looks even better than both of them. Mookie certainly has an ability to attract talent. If he could just recruit a good writer, then maybe this comic could start turning around! Lol
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    guttering flame's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Is Mookie rw Elan?

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Posted by Mookie

    For basically the whole of my art career I have failed to practice. Drawing comics IS my practice. I do it a lot and there’s a lot of repetition and I’m pretty critical of my work so it kinda works out, but it’s not really practice. I don’t spend the time sitting down and doing studies of hands, or really any kind of sketching. I don’t experiment much with styles or techniques. I’ve got deadlines so at best I refine the techniques I already know. Admittedly, it’s done pretty well for me. Over the last 14 years of comicing, I’ve gotten pretty good at this whole art thing. But I can’t help but wonder…

    How much better would I be today if I had spent some of that decade and a half actually practicing?

    Thankfully, it is never too late to get good at a thing, and I have so many things I want to get good(er) at.
    Hey.

    Waaitaminute.

    That was posted by Garth.

    You troll, you.

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Hey.

    Waaitaminute.

    That was posted by Garth.

    You troll, you.
    Aaaargh

    It would have fit him so well

    And I can't even claim that the RSS doesn't show the author, because it definitely does.

    Although it does talk about competitive shooting, which doesn't sound very Mookiesque. And I believe that Garth once wrote that, at one time, he had been about to join the armed forces.

    Yes Garth, I'd unironically say that you got the whole art thing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Is Mookie rw Elan?
    I prefer to think of him as web comic Ed Wood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Hey.

    Waaitaminute.

    That was posted by Garth.

    You troll, you.
    Ooooooh. That makes more sense. Yeah, Garth is definitely good at art. He could probably go professional if he wanted to. Unless he already has? I don't know much about him.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Schllaand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Ooooooh. That makes more sense. Yeah, Garth is definitely good at art. He could probably go professional if he wanted to. Unless he already has? I don't know much about him.
    I thought he already is a professional? He works full time as artist and it pays the bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I thought he already is a professional? He works full time as artist and it pays the bills.
    Like I said, I don't know much about him. *shrug*
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

    Update

    No.
    No, no.
    No, no, no, no, NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

    The one thing I was afraid of, the ultimate combination of coincidence and incompetence was revealed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •