New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: IC: Curse of Strahd, Chapter 2: The Road to Vallaki

The bridge is about 100ft across, so you'd have to use 3 sets of rope (as you need to use at least a few feet to tie off the rope and offer enough slack to actually advance).

Askan walks across the bridge. Nothing happens. The view is spectacular though.

Everyone else walks across the bridge without incident and you retrieve the sets of rope.

The bats follow your progress until you are about halfway across the bridge and then you hear them take flight and make their way towards the castle, which is not that much higher than you at this elevation.

Ismark watches the bats go. "Strahd probably has spies in one form or another at every major point on the road. At least they didn't attack whilst we tried to cross the bridge."

This side of the bridge has no forest and you find yourself walking through a winding valley - steep inclines to each side of you. You are still heading slightly upwards.

You travel this path for several more hours.

The dirt road eventually splits in two, widening toward the right, remaining the same dirt path you've been walking to the left. You see patches of cobblestone, suggesting that the right-hand branch was once an important thoroughfare.

In the distance on the left-hand fork you see high stone buttresses. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Two headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate.

You also notice coming from the road to the left a group of people heading towards you. They are carrying pitchforks and makeshift weapons. As they begin to get closer you see them clothed in traditional Barovian garb. There are 9 individuals, of varying age, and a mixture of men and women.

They approach you cautiously, but they seem to be put a little at ease by the sight of Ismark and Kyran.

"Hail, countrymen!" Calls out Ismark.

"Hail." Replies a gruff looking man; who appears to be leading the group. "You'll forgive me for asking, but what business do you have wandering around these lands?"

"I could ask you the same question! We are on our way to Vallaki, our business is our own. We mean you no harm, so long as you're not here to impede us."

The man grunts. "Then I wish you luck on your travels. We have come from Vallaki just two days ago. We are marching on the castle. We may not be warriors, but we cannot live like this anymore - the Burgomaster holds festival after festival in some vain attempt to stave off hopelessness. But he is a fool. The festivals are a farce. Pretty banners and barrels of wine do not keep the monsters away. No, we will march on the castle and face the devil. Either we will be successful or we will die. Either outcome is preferred to living in fear or deluding ourselves into thinking we are safe." The rest of the group nods.

(Is there anything you'd like to interject or ask at this point?)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-03-18 at 09:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran turns to address them, "How many times has this scene played out in these lands? None wish this to continue, but countless mobs exactly like this one have marched on that castle, and yet Strahd still rules. Even the release of death is not guaranteed. People have returned to their families, worse than dead, or been forced to help Strahd rather than opposing him. We helped end the suffering of one such poor soul recently, and I have just learned that my own son may have suffered the same fate."

"I do not ask you to lay down your arms, nor to temper your determination. I ask you to think, and let prudence guide your actions. Find a way to fight Strahd that might actually topple him from his throne."

"My companions and I will be doing exactly that, we will fight him with tools that can destroy him. When it is time to fight, will you still be here to lend your aid, or will we be fighting the things that you have become?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20)[16] Can't remember my persuasion mod right now, and mythweavers is giving me fits, I'll add it when I can. Here's hoping the roll is good, because I remember the mod isn't.

Not bad, I might actually pull this off, especially if I get help from someone on this. Edit: mod is 0, so the roll stands, between that and Erevan's assistance...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-03-18 at 07:55 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #303

BardGuy

Erevan stepped forward as Kyran spoke.

"Indeed. They say Strahd can't be killed in any normal way, so we're looking for some abnormal ways that might just do the trick. Our goals are the same. We can help you and you can help us. What do you say?"

Hopefully, his words and homely charisma would lend a little support to Kyran's speech.

Show
    Persuasion if needed, to help Kyran out: (1d20+5)[18]

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

They need hope, not a lecture, Kyran. Askan then climbs a rock and adresses the mob.

My citizens of Barovia. We are warriors and scholars from different realms and here. And it needed all four of us to struggle down even the least of Strahd's minions. Ironically the vampire spawn in question was a former leader of another rebellion that was brutally stopped. Killing yourself in a suicide mission is not the way to help our cause. A rebellion is more than torches and pitch forks. It is holding together, aiding one another in solving the problem ahead.

We come from the Great Seer Madame Eva, who foretold our future. She told us where mighty artifacts lie, that can destroy this horror. And my master, the great Vampire Hunter Rudolph Van Richten hides in your lands. But you are right. Now is not the time to sit idle but to act. If you need something to do to keep your head in the game, help us.

We need all the help we can get.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20)[9]

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha Kane, Aasimar Warlock
    Level 4 Hexblade Warlock | AC:18 | HP: 32/32 | Slots: 2/2

Ciardha shakes his head slowly, and looks at all the villagers each in the eye, "Your pitchforks and blunt tools will do nothing to kill the Count. Your little rebellion is doomed to fail, and there is a third option that may await you at the end of this trail. Not success, nor death.....but undeath. Being turned into the very thing that you hate so that you may come back and kill the very ones you love. This is no hope for this attack. It will only give 9 warm bodies to Strahd for his amusement." He gives a pause, "But. If you help us, aid us in our quest, we may be able to finally bring down the very monster that has been haunting these lands for far too long. Your families and loved ones will be safe again. And we can finally be free of this dark, horrible shadow that has gripped these lands. Channel your passion into a plan that has better results than your death, or worse, being Strahd's plaything."

Show
    Persuasion - (1d20+4)[20]

Also, if applicable my Background Feature.
    Heart of Darkness: Those who look into your eyes can see that you have faced unimaginable horror and that you are no stranger to darkness. Though they might fear you, commoners will extend you every courtesy and do their utmost to help you. Unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them, they will even take up arms to fight alongside you, should you find yourself facing an enemy alone

Figured if there was a good time to have this be used, now would be it.

My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #306

Zombie

The Barovians seem quite inspired by each part of your speeches and more than a little fearful at Ciardha's contribution. They look at each other and you get the feeling that the urge to go marching on a suicide mission has subsided.

Their leader speaks again: "Your words are not without merit. Heh... it's a shame you're not running Vallaki - we could use someone in charge that speaks some sense! Fine - we won't go marching on the castle this day. What can we do to help? You said you were searching for artefacts?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran says, "At the moment we follow a few vague prophecies to find the tools we need. Do any of you know of any place with amber giants or amber doors?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-03-19 at 06:41 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

8. - Top - End - #308

Zombie

The group think about it, but the answer you get from all of them is a 'no' - they've never heard of such a place or such things.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

We have a few other tidbits of information as well. Do you know of a castle UNDER a mountain? And a garden in a cold climate with snow and a scarecrow? Though the latter can be almost anywhere. Askan pauses for a moment. But even if you cannot help us with your knowledge, you can at least help with a few trade goods. I need another vial of holy water or powdered silver and iron to do my magicks. And we subside on rationed food. If you can tell us where to hunt and what is edible here, we can continue.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-03-20 at 04:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310

Zombie

The first question also receives a round of no. They are aware of Ravenloft and the two mountains that the party knows about; but nothing about a castle underneath them.

The group agrees that the description is too vague to give you an exact location - there are many gardens with scarecrows in them. They do, however, suggest that the colder climate and snow would be found further up the mountain to the south - Mount Ghakis. They suggest following the Svalich Road west from Vallaki, then heading South at the Raven River Crossroads. The road would take you up into the mountains.

The group do not have anything like Holy Water or the components you seek; but they suggest heading to Vallaki to find such things - it is a fairly large settlement and has both a church and shops that might stock what you need.

In terms of what to eat, the group offers to share the excess rations they brought along with them, if you are suggesting they head back to Vallaki. (They can spare 2 days of trail rations for everyone). Wolf meat seems to be the most common source of food - the group mention that the town often sends out hunting parties into the woods surrounding the town. The wolves are plentiful and tend to keep most of the other game in low supply. The wolves are also extremely hostile, so culling them only helps protect the town. Typically hunters will place traps in an area and then inspect the area at a later time. Any area of the woods is deemed good enough hunting grounds; if you are brave and patient enough. They also give you a small list of edible berries and wild fruit that can be found.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-03-22 at 03:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for your kind offerings my good people. If you want we can travel back to Vallaki together as it is our next destination in any case. Your knowledge of the area prevents us from getting lost, and we can protect you if we run into trouble.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha takes the supplies with a nod and, when they decide to depart, follows the group to Vallaki.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran, gladdened by the thought of having helped some of his countrymen, at least for a time, gathers his things and follows along.

14. - Top - End - #314

BardGuy

"Many thanks, indeed," Erevan added as he followed along with the group.

15. - Top - End - #315

Zombie

(The group shares out the rations. It's about two days travel from here to Vallaki, so we can very easily save ourselves book-keeping by saying you just eat the rations shared by the Barovians)

The group agree, somewhat reluctantly, to return to Vallaki.

Along the way they tell you the following:

Spoiler
    Show

• The Blue Water Inn offers food, wine, and shelter to visitors. A stranger with pointed ears is staying there. He came to Barovia from a distant land.
    • The burgomaster, Baron Vargas Vallakovich, has decreed that the Festival of the Blazing Sun will be held in the town square in five days from today. The previous festival, which he called the Wolf's Head Jamboree, was less than a week ago. The group left Vallaki as soon as the new festival was announced; having grown tired of the burgomaster's lack of any real leadership towards the town's problems.
    • Those who speak ill of the festivals are declared by the burgomaster to be in league with the devil Strahd
      and arrested. Some are thrown in the stocks, while others are taken to the burgomaster's mansion so that the baron can purge them of their evil. The group did not want to meet such a fate, so simply left the town without saying a word. They do not dare confront the baron directly.
    • The burgomaster's henchman, Izek Strazni, has a history of violence as well as a fiendish deformity: a monstrous arm with which he can conjure fire. Fear of Izek keeps the baron's enemies at bay.
    • No one hates the burgomaster more than Lady Fiona Wachter. She owns an old house in town, but rarely leaves her estate. Her two adult sons, Nikolai and Karl, are local troublemakers. Lady Wachter also has a mad daughter whom she keeps locked away.
    • Purple flashes of light have been seen emanating from the attic of the burgomaster's mansion.
    • It's too dangerous to go fishing on Lake Zarovich, a vast lake that the town sits next to, but the threat of Strahd's minions hasn't stopped Bluto Krogarov, the town drunk, from trying. He sets out each morning and returns every evening, but hasn't caught any fish in a while.
    • There used to be a mage that shot lightning bolts at the fish in the lake to kill and collect them; but they haven't been seen in a while.
    • There's a Vistani camp in the woods southwest of town. The Vistani there aren't very friendly and they are not welcome within the town.
    • West of town is a haunted mansion. Legend has it that a dragon died there a long, long time ago.
    • South of town is a village that has been abandoned for decades. Rumour has it that its burgomaster committed some terrible offence and incurred the wrath of Strahd.

As you follow the road you pass by the structure you saw in the distance earlier. Spanning from one side of the valley to the other, a giant stone fortification looms above you. Two huge stone statues stand guard over the equally huge iron gates. The iron gates are open and drip with moisture and dew. A remnant of this land's war-torn past. You pass through the gate without incident.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

You continue marching for a couple more hours before it begins to get dark. Ahead of you the road becomes flanked by forest again. The Barovians suggest setting up camp outside the forest. The group have their own supplies and are self-sufficient. They are friendly enough and share what information they have with you, but otherwise keep to themselves.

Between all of you it is easy enough to double up on watch and the night passes uneventfully.

The next morning you pack up and continue onwards.

You plunge back into the forest for a few more hours of travel before leaving it behind again and continuing to travel through mountain valley. If everything wasn't so ominous and cast in such a weak sunlight the landscape could almost be described at picturesque.

After a few more hours of travel the Old Svalich Road transitions from being a winding path through the mountains to a lazy trail that hugs the mountainside as it descends into a large, open valley. In the heart of the valley you see a walled town near the shores of a great mountain lake, its waters dark and still - Vallaki. A branch in the road leads west to a promontory, atop which is perched a dilapidated stone windmill, its warped wooden vanes stripped bare and menacing.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

As you stop to consider heading up towards the windmill, the group of Barovians become fearful.

"You're not thinking of heading up to the old windmill are you? Please, strangers, reconsider! There is an aura of evil about the place. Different, though, to that which the devil Strahd brings. A different evil altogether. Anyone who has tried to investigate the windmill has never been seen again. It is easy enough to avoid, let us just stick to the road...."

The windmill is a short 15/20 minute walk up the path, you estimate. You could easily bypass it if you stuck to the main road. Equally it would not be a long detour if you did want to investigate.

(What do you wish to do?)

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

If people vanish in there, I want to stop it. Askan replies regarding the windmill. I left my home to escape politics and to help the people of all realms. We can deal with your burgomaster later. I think if we deal with this threat to the town, the people will see us in a more favourable light.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-03-23 at 07:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran peers at the windmill, "I have heard dark stories of that place. I do not know the truth behind them, but neither do I suggest taking it lightly."

"If we are sure of being able to do something, by all means, but that may prove a challenge we are not prepared for, and our focus should be on Strahd."

18. - Top - End - #318

Zombie

"If you want to go up there and deal with whatever it is that lurks in that windmill, you're either crazy or brave; perhaps both! We will not come to collect your corpse for the coffin-maker if you perish though. We will wait here for a few hours for your return. Otherwise we will make our own way back to Vallaki."

The Barovians seem intent on staying away from the windmill.

Ismark and Ireena look ready to follow you with whichever course of action you decide though.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Askan throws his knife in the air and catches it elegantly several times. Your call, Kyran. If we are not investigating though I would propose that we meet the wanderer from another realm. I have a hunch he might have his own goals for this land, too. He may be even affiliated with Kyril. The hunter turns towards Kyril, checking the bard's appearance from head to toe. You're awfully frail for an adult, my friend. And your ears are different, too. Where do you hail from?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran states, "If it is up to me, I would prefer to focus on our purpose in Vallaki for now. When done with that, perhaps we can seek more information on this other evil, and decide how to deal with it at that time. Whatever is in the windmill, it is a local and enduring threat. It can wait, and is less important than Strahd himself."

"As to this stranger, he may be willing to help our cause. Outsiders often are, if only because they haven't been beaten down over the years."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-03-24 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

BardGuy

"As much as I'd like to investigate, from what I've heard, I don't think we should test our luck. We need to get Ireena to safety first, at the least."

22. - Top - End - #322

Zombie

The Barovians seem very relieved that you've decided to bypass the windmill for now.

Kyril seems distant - focusing on the windmill and ignoring the question. For a moment he is transfixed before he shakes his head and murmurs an acknowledgement.

"I am part human, part Elf.
    Do not worry about my health.
    I come from Waterdeep.
    A city that does not sleep.
    Press on we will.
    Let us not keep still."

The Barovians seem incredibly perplexed by this pronouncement and whisper and shrug to each other.

Ireena chimes in:

"Perhaps you could tell us more of this city? Waterdeep. And what is an Elf?"

"To explain would take a long time.
    To weave a tale so sublime.
    Perhaps I shall tell you in due time.
    So long as I can think of a rhyme!"

"Ok.... Another time, then."

With the situation growing more awkward by the second you decide to press on and leave the windmill behind; following the main path through the valley.

You travel uneventfully for another few hours, with forest returning on your left-hand side.

It begins to get dark and you setup camp again for the evening. As you are setting up camp a thick fog rolls into the valley. It becomes very difficult to see. You hear mutterings of bad omens from the Barovians.

What is your watch order for this evening? The Barovians are happy to double-up on watch and Ismark and Ireena are happy to support as necessary. The area is heavily obscured due to the fog. Is there anything you wish to do differently in light of this?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With the fog pressing in, Kyran will encourage finding a campsite with limited approaches if such is at all possible.

Afterwards, he'll doggedly set about establishing wards around the campsite. He likely will not have time to encircle the entire area before full dark, and so will prioritize the most likely ways something could approach unseen.

He will volunteer to help with watch, and lend his goggles to teammates doing the same who need it at other times.

Show
    Alarm as a ritual, 11 minutes per casting, each of which will cover a 20' cube. Unfortunately in order to officially be heard, each ward needs to be within 60' from the outer camp sentries.

Perception (1d20+3)[14]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Askan ponders: Part elf? Maybe a fey influence explains his erratic behaviour. Kobolds, gnomes and faerie dragons never acted very straight forward. So his insanity is inherited. Poor sap.

In the evening, as the fog rolls in, Askan tries to coordinate the Vallaki residents to create a big main pyre with a few smaller camp fire surrounding it. Heat usually holds any natural fog off. At least they can be sure it is the mystical fog of Barovia when it envelops the fires too.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-03-25 at 08:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Zombie

(Noted for Kyran)

The best place to find somewhere secluded/limited access would be the forest. Despite being part of a large group this does very little to remove the paranoia of being inside a dark forest, heavily obscured by fog and known to contain terrible dangers. You find as good a place as any to setup camp and begin to put into action your nightly routine.

Firewood is in plentiful supply, so a pyre is easily made. The heat does thin out the fog that rolls through the campsite - so it doesn't appear to be the same, unnatural fog that surrounds the lands of Barovia.

Kyran, if you offer the goggles to any of the Barovians they are amazed with it's features and inquire as to where you got it and if they might be able to get their own.

Kyril doesn't appear too bothered about preparing any nightly defences and curls up in his bedroll to sleep.

(Askan, if you are on watch I will need a Perception roll from you)

(Need to see what Erevan and Ciardha might do also)

26. - Top - End - #326

BardGuy

Erevan helped gather wood for the bonfire, having spent some of the journey collecting tinder along the roadside. He volunteered for second watch, then unpacked and repacked his bags twice.

When it was his turn for watch, he stood and stretched, before removing two wooden stakes and a small glass vial from his bag and securing them in his belt. Once that was done, he began to pace the borders of the camp with his pike in his right hand, though he made sure to stay within the borders Kyran had shown for his magical ward. He stared uneasily into the fog.

Show
    Perception for 2nd watch: (1d20+3)[21]

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha wants to check out the windmill, but doesn't speak up as the others seem content on letting it stay. "When we are done, we should come back to this place. If it is evil, it needs to be purged." He continues with the others. When the camp back down again, he sits and meditates for a little while. After he is done he lights up his pipe, blowing those familiar skull-looking puffs of smoke, and writing in his journal. Namely the whereabouts of this evil looking Mill. When he is done listening to the conversation and smoking his pipe, he lays down for sleep. Restless as it may be.

Show
    So, IC I don't have Ciardha mentioning a watch. But, truly, y'all don't want him on watch anyway. His perception is awful lol

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #328

Zombie

Kyran's first watch passes uneventfully.

Erevan picks up the 2nd watch and begins his patrol.

A short while after beginning his watch he hears the sound of a hand bell ringing loudly nearby. Turning to look in that directly you don't see anything. The hand bell stops after 10 seconds.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Askan snores loudly as the bell rings. Five more minutes, grand ma. He rolls over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can we continue please?
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-04-01 at 07:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330

BardGuy

Erevan froze in place at the sound of the bell. Perhaps that was why he didn't look towards it until it had already stopped, and nothing was to be seen there.

He woke his companions, quietly informing them that something had triggered the wards. Then, he walked towards the area where the bell sound had come from, searching for signs of the creature that set it off.

Show
    Search the area (Perception): (1d20+3)[10]

I am back now, and I'll have a lot more time to post. Sorry for the delay!