New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: IC: Curse of Strahd, Chapter 2: The Road to Vallaki

You swap any stories you wish and eat and prepare to rest; setting up any tents and bedrolls you may have. If you don't have a tent the Vistani don't object to you setting down a bedroll by the fire.

(Cross off a day's rations if you haven't already)

Anybody sat around or near the fire overhears this tale as told by one of the Vistani:

"A mighty wizard came to this land over a year ago. I remember him like it was yesterday. A very charismatic man, he was. He thought he could rally the people of Barovia against Strahd. He stirred them with thoughts of revolt and bore them to the castle en masse. When the vampire appeared, the wizard's peasant army fled in terror. A few stood their ground and were never seen again.

The wizard and the vampire cast spells at each other. Their battle flew from the courtyards of Ravenloft to a precipice overlooking the falls. I saw the battle with my own eyes. Thunder shook the mountainside, and great rocks tumbled down upon the wizard, yet by his magic he survived. Lightning from the heavens struck the wizard, and again he stood his ground. But when Strahd fell upon him, the wizard's magic couldn't save him. I saw him thrown a thousand feet to his death. I climbed down to the river to search for the wizard's body, to see if, you know, he had anything of value, but the River lvlis had already spirited him away.

I cannot remember his name... but he sounded important. Ah well...."

Oleg doesn't mind you sharing his tent again, Askan - you've probably had to share it's shelter before on the road. It feels a lot more comfortable than a regular tent, but not quite as comfortable as an actual room and bed.

There are still several Vistani awake around the bonfire by the time you're ready to turn in; but they seem content in their own evening activities.

In no time at all you find yourself drifting off to sleep.

In your dreams you play out all the possible meanings of the reading Madam Eva gave each of you and try to make sense of it. Ultimately the nature of dreams is ambiguity and vagueness. You do not discover anything new about the reading, but you feel more confident in yourself and your abilities for having made it this far and for now having a more defined focus for the future.

(Level up now, if you haven't already - this takes place after you rest)

You wake up in your own time and climb out of your bedroll/tent.

Oleg remains asleep, snoring loudly, for the time being (unless you want to wake him of course).

The bonfire seems to have been doused sometime in the night and all that remain are the blackened husks of the giant logs used to create it. A couple of Vistani are asleep in bedrolls around it's perimeter.

The morning, just like last morning, is hazy and the sun seems to barely shine upon the land as if it's power has been muted or stolen away. Still, it is a welcome change from the oppressive night of last night.

You spot Ismark sitting outside his tent, digging into some kind of breakfast rations. He is so busy devouring his breakfast that he doesn't notice you.

You begin to wonder where Ireena might be, but then you see her. Walking back from the lake edge, her armour removed (she is still wearing her fine clothes), her hair wet and glistening despite the weak sun; is a vision of beauty. She swishes her hair and little droplets of water flick from her head. She carries a small bag with her.

She notices you and waves: "Good morning!"

Ismark looks up from his food and calls out, his mouth still partially full of food, a greeting of his own that is garbled by the food.

Ireena climbs back into her tent and emerges a few seconds later without the small bag, but with some breakfast rations much like Ismark. Unlike Ismark, Ireena eats her food in a much more mannered way.

Perhaps you also break out some breakfast. Perhaps you decide to wash first, much like it seems Ireena did. Perhaps you pray or compulsively check all your equipment. In any case, you complete your morning rituals, whatever they might be.

By the time that is all done, a few of the Vistani are beginning to awake; Oleg included.

Very quickly you realise you are missing Nestor and Lucian. A brief panic ensues as you try to find out where they have gone. Shortly after this discovery Dmitri and Madam Eva approach you.

"Nestor and Lucian have left on their own quest. Rest assured they are safe for now. They will return when the time is right."

"You have my word that our clan had nothing to do with their sudden departure. Before he left, Lucian asked me to pass his gold over to you, for he will not be needing it."

(Dmitri gives you Lucian's 900gp that he had from Death House - it's all there if you do want to count it. It's up to you how you want to divide it. It would be 180gp five ways)

(One way or another you believe them/are forced to accept what they say - Nestor and Lucian are gone... for now at least)

Aside from the gold, the pair don't seem to have left anything else.

Eventually you finish packing your things, Ireena has armoured back up from this morning, and Oleg has hitched Mishka back up to the cart.

"I will travel with you back to the crossroads from earlier and then that is where we will part ways - I will return to the village to sell my wares and then move on to other lands." Oleg mentions, somewhat sadly.

The journey back to the crossroads is peaceful and, although still somewhat oppressive and claustrophobic by the closeness of the trees, it is still much better than travelling in the dark.

After a couple of hours you emerge from the woodland road and are within sight of the gallows again. Anything you may have seen yesterday is gone - the gallows just appear to be a frayed length of rope attached to the wooden beam.

Oleg pulls up the cart at the crossroads and helps you unload anything you may have been carrying on his cart. "This is where we must part ways. I have shown you the way to Madam Eva and she has shown you the way you must now travel. I cannot come with you on this journey. Follow the road towards the South-West. You should reach Vallaki in about 4 days. There is one final piece of advice I can give you: There is an Old Windmill on the road between here and Vallaki. It should be avoided at all costs! I cannot say more. I wish you good luck." Oleg accepts any handshakes or hugs or other farewells given and then he departs - travelling along the road to the East back towards the Village you came from yesterday. (He refuses to say any more about the Old Windmill)

"As Oleg says, if we follow this fork South-West we should reach Vallaki in 4 days. The Old Windmill he spoke of supplies grain to Vallaki, if I remember correctly. Perhaps something has happened there? Something that even he did not wish to talk about? In any case, we must still travel this road to reach any of our destinations. Let us press on."

And without further ado you press on.

(Need to make some rolls)

2. - Top - End - #272

Zombie

The road to the South-West begins to incline and you feel yourself slowly going uphill. As you travel uphill you leave the woodland at the crossroad behind you and the road becomes open. The sense of claustrophobia you may have felt is alleviated.

After about an hour of travel along this gentle slope you spot a mounted figure riding towards you in the distance. You make preparations to hide or ready yourself to defend yourself. Soon enough the rider comes into view. Upon a skeletal warhorse, an equally skeletal rider sits; both clad in ruined chainmail. The skeletal rider holds up a rusted lantern that sheds no light. The warhorse gallops down the road and past you; completely ignoring you. If you were in the way it does it's best to ride around you, but otherwise doesn't seem to even acknowledge your presence. Unless you wish to attack it, it rides off back down the path you've come from. You're left to ponder this mysterious encounter for a moment until you move on.

You travel for another hour and a half. The forest returns here on both sides and that familiar feeling of oppression and mild claustrophobia return.

Just before you break the treeline Ireena spots something: "Look there! Do you see that?" You follow her direction and find a small leather pack hidden on the branch of a tree. Ismark picks it up and opens it. Inside are a set of common clothes, sized for a humanoid adult, in the style you've seen many Barovians wearing. There is nothing else inside the pack and no other distinguishing marks on either the clothes or the pack. You don't see anyone else in the immediate area (although if you want to make some rolls to investigate the area you are welcome to). "Should we leave this here or take it with us?" Asks Ismark. (What do you want to do with this pack/clothes?)

You continue on the road for another half an hour, the woodland all around you.

Suddenly a gaunt figure with wild hair and bare feet bounds out of the treeline on all fours, wearing a tattered gown of stitched animal skins. You can't tell whether it's a man or a woman. It stops, sniffs the air, and laughs like a lunatic. From behind this figure 4 twig-like monsters come creaking. They are about 15 feet away from you, having just burst through the treeline.

(Roll some initiative please)

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[12]
    (1d20+1)[12]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha Kane, Aasimar Warlock
    Level 4 Hexblade Warlock | AC:18 | HP: 32/32 | Slots: 2/2

Ciardha is up and meditating before everyone gets up, for the most part, in his corner of the tent. He then dons his armor, leaves the tent, and summons his sword. He goes to the lake and starts to practice his fighting techniques. His moves are slow and deliberate, and he doesn't notice much else while he is doing this. He goes through each move, checking his posture and form with each move. He feels stronger and is glad for it. They would need to get stronger if they were to defeat Strahd. He dismisses his sword, returns to the camp, and gets ready to depart, packing his things together to start the journey again. When the others are ready to leave, he leaves with them, and travels along that odd, enclosed road they have been traveling on for what seems like weeks.

Oleg left them, but left Ciardha more worried than anything else. As Oleg rode off he turned to the other, "Anyone hear tales of this Windmill? And why would ol' Oleg be so secretive about it. Not that he isn't oddly secretive about stuff anyway. But he seems a bit dodgier with that one." He talks with the group as they continue on, "Should we stop and see what it is about? If there is some evil there that needs to be purged? I would hate to leave it behind us for other innocent travelers to...." Just as Ciardha was about to finish, a skeletal figure on a skeletal horse appears, seeming to be charging at the group, but before Ciardha can do anything about it, the rider shoots past them and disappears. Ciardha just looks in the direction the rider went, blinking for a moment, and shakes his head. "These lands are getting more crowded, more dangerous, and much weirder as time goes on....."

After traveling a bit, and finding the clothes, Ciardha mutters some words to himself and waves his hand in front of him. His eyes slightly glow with a fire inside of them and he takes a look at the bag. If nothing show up, he shrugs and indicates he does not care what is done with the clothes.

They travel a bit more and run into a.....creature of some manner. It seems to have ill intentions and some tree like creatures follow it out of the treeline. Ciardha calls up his sword from its resting place and readies himself for combat. "Here we go again."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect magic on the bag and clothes. If anything is found out, I'll edit that into this post.

Also Investigation roll for the pack (1d20+2)[4] Well, that's not going to do much lol

Last edited by Irish Musician; 2018-03-10 at 11:30 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #274

Zombie

In response to Ciardha: "As far as I know it's just an old windmill that produces grain for Vallaki. Nothing particularly special about it. Although I hear it has a great view of the area."

(Kyran, since you are local you can make a Knowledge History Check if you wish to know more about the Old Windmill)

Ciardha:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither the bag nor the clothes are magical. Your investigations don't turn up anything else of note.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran looks at the bundle, "Someone left this here, anticipating a need for clothing when they returned. A werewolf perhaps? I'd be inclined to burn the bundle, increase the chances they will be caught by their peers, but the creature might follow us and retaliate somehow. Up to the rest of you if you think it worth the risk."

When attacked by the man and the things following him, Kyran fires at the semi human in the lead, thinking him to perhaps that would lessen the threat of this group.

Show
    Leveled up, I seem to primarily be contributing via the cannon at present, so I went ahead and maxed out his Dex. Also picked up the Alarm spell for very slightly safer camping.

Attack (1d20+7)[22]
    (2d6+5)[7](1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-03-10 at 05:10 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

As the night becomes darker and stories get passed along that Strahd is not only a vampiric nobleman and commander, but also an arcanist. But gladly Askan has been come well prepared - until now he thought overprepared. But the happenings of today showed him that the effort was entirely necessary. Askan has an inquisitive mind and asks the Vistani much about the history of this land.

At the dawn of the new day, he finds the silent Lucian and the pious Nestor to be gone. After quick investigation he is informed that both took on their own quest. Curious timing but Askan feels somewhat vulnerable now, without the aid of a holy man, at the whim of a rhyming madman, if it comes to healing magic, and as the guy that holds off the beasts from Kyran. I believe you but their timing is less than ideal. They are fools to venture on their own. Times like these need unity more than anything else.

The group is quickly on the road and only stops to let the skeletal rider pass. Is this normal in your land, Kyran? the hunter asks. It sounds foolish but maybe we should investigate the windmill. I doubt the story was made up. But I feel no one is better equipped than us to stop any madness in there.

As Ciardha casts Detect Magic yet again, Askan can't help but blurt out: How can you cast this spell so often and without effort? I have seen mighty wizards struggle with moving objects with their magic, and yet you seem to do this at a whim. Who taught you? And is he or she willing to teach others? Askan sounds genuinely curious and not really accusing though if you know him he is probably weary that any source of magic could be a corrupt one as well.

As the twig men attack, he draws steel. I know these creatures from somewhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature check: (1d20+3)[5]
    Init: (1d20+3)[13]
    If I am quick enough, I'll prepare a counterattack. Prepared actions are still a thing, right?
    Attack: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[8]

7. - Top - End - #277

Zombie

(Forgot to roll initiative for Ismark and Ireena!)

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[5]
    (1d20+1)[15]

Kyran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With regards to the Old Windmill:

Ismark was partially right, the Old Windmill used to supply Vallaki with grain. No longer though. You have heard rumours that evil creatures have taken up residence there. Worse - you hear that children are snatched and taken there; never to be seen again. You suspect that some of the children from the village have gone missing due to this evil, although you've never been witness to it. What strikes you as odd is that even the Vistani seem to be afraid of it; which they do not appear to be when it comes to Strahd and his minions. Perhaps something unaffiliated with the vampire lord dwells there; allowed to exist for some reason?

With regards to the creatures alongside the mad druid:

These things are called Twig Blights. A Twig Blight is an awakened plant that resembles a woody shrub that can pull its roots free of the ground. Its branches twist together to form a humanoid-looking body with a head and limbs (although you can clearly tell it's still a plant). They aren't particularly dangerous or intelligent creatures, although because of their small size (almost child-like) they can very easily overwhelm a single target. Brought to life by evil druidic power, they have no real will of their own and follow their creator around and obey them without question. They defend their creator to the death, unless told otherwise. They don't have 'eyes' or 'ears' as such, so they cannot be blinded or deafened, but they are still able to sense creatures that are within 60ft of them. Beyond 60ft they are unable to sense anything. Being plant-matter you know that, like most plants, they are vulnerable to fire, although normal weapons dispatch them just fine too. They're also not very strong or sturdy either. Their only redeeming quality is their ability to completely blend in with natural surroundings; making them an ideal ambush creature.

Askan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Vistani share with you the following that you did not already know (unless I've accidentally repeated something):

-Strahd comes from a royal bloodline. He died centuries ago yet endures as one of the undead, feasting on the blood of the living.
    -Strahd has taken many consorts, but he has known only one true love: a Barovian peasant girl named Tatyana. No-one knows what became of her.
    -Strahd named his castle, Ravenloft, after his beloved mother, Queen Ravenovia. Strangers aren't welcome at the castle without an invitation.
    -Strahd conquered this land centuries ago and named it after his father, King Barov.
    -The souls of those who die in Barovia can't escape to the afterlife. They are prisoners in Strahd's domain.
    -Ravens carry lost souls within them, so killing one is bad luck. (Which Oleg also confirmed)

They also reveal to you:

During one of Strahd's military campaigns, years before he became a vampire, a group of Vistani rescued him after he was wounded in battle. These Vistani not only nursed Strahd back to health but also delivered him safely home. As a reward for their generosity, Strahd declared that all Vistani had the right to come and go from his land as they please, and this privilege extends to the present day. Thus, Vistani can travel freely through the fog that surrounds Barovia, without fear of harm or entrapment.

With regards to the creatures:

You wrack your brain trying to think where you've seen or heard of these creatures before. But can think of nothing. Twig... something or other? Twig Horror? Twig Construct? They look like they're made out of twigs at least; vaguely resembling small humanoids.

Prepared actions are indeed a thing. You state what action you want to hold in reserve and a trigger and then your action occurs when the trigger is fulfilled. If you're quick enough you may as well act and attack directly - preparing an action only really tends to be useful if you can't attack normally during a round to be honest.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-03-10 at 10:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the Bag of Clothes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    As Ciardha casts Detect Magic yet again, Askan can't help but blurt out: How can you cast this spell so often and without effort? I have seen mighty wizards struggle with moving objects with their magic, and yet you seem to do this at a whim. Who taught you? And is he or she willing to teach others? Askan sounds genuinely curious and not really accusing though if you know him he is probably weary that any source of magic could be a corrupt one as well.
    Ciardha cracks a smile as Askan gets all hot and bothered by his magics, "My.....Benefactor showed me how to do this. When you are shown the way, it is a simple task. Wizards learn their magics from books. My magics come from different avenues, so my powers are not as weak as a wizards, though a bit more limited in some aspects." Ciardha sees the bag and clothes are useless, "Nothing of importance here," then turns back to Askan and continues. "My Patron might be convinced to share their secrets with someone. Though learning from them is not done lightly. It is something that you must convince them you deserve, or are approached by them as a chosen one. Either way, your conviction to learning, and obeying, needs to be strong and absolute."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Obeying, you say? I haven't seen you pray to any gods. Askan looks uneasy. I hope for your sake and ours, that you are not in league with Strahd or the forces that bind him here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha, for the first time since anyone of them have met him (eve Erevan), hear him give a loud, sizable laugh. One might almost call it.....jolly. "A servant of Strahd. There are many ridiculous things I've heard in my life. Things that defy logic and make you stretch your imagination to its limits. But to entertain the thought that I serve Strahd...." Ciardha chuckles again and shakes his head, "That is a world that will never be, nor by any stretch of anyone imagination, nor even if the gods themselves decreed it, would it ever come to pass." Ciardha chuckles again and just shakes his head, for he knows not what else to do. "As for not praying to any gods....gods are not the only ones with mighty power. If you look hard enough, there are other Benefactors out there that can, well, bless you with gifts. You can come to an agreement with them and in exchange for service, they can share certain....secrets with you."

Ciardha waves a hand at the clothes, as if he is dismissing them and already forgetting they exist. He turns to walk off with the others, and as he does he puts a hand on Askan's shoulder. "Askan, of all the horrors these lands hold, all of the terrible things that go bump in the night, all of the beings that are looking to destroy.....know this. That at least one of those nightmares is on your side and looking to use his horrors on Strahd and remove the evil from these lands." With that Ciardha walks away from Askan, starting down the trail again.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Just a straight answer for ONCE would be nice. Askan sighs.

12. - Top - End - #282

BardGuy

Erevan seemed to remain subdued by the events of the previous day, only added to by the departure of two companions and the ominous warning about the windmill. Even so, he stirred when the bag of clothes was found. "Or perhaps left in flight. Is there anything nearby?"

Show
    Somewhat belated Investgation: (1d20+2)[20]

In response to Askan's sigh, Erevan chuckles. "He's always like this. Makes for an amusing trip sometimes."

As the creatures approach, Erevan readies his pike, pointing at the druid. He watches for an opportunity, then lunges forward, hoping to strike the apparent master of the twig-creatures.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+0)[8]
    Attack on the druid:(1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[9]

13. - Top - End - #283

Zombie

(You guys just win initiative, so you may go first and then the Druid and the Twiglets go next)

Erevan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You spot/conclude several things from these clothes and the immediate area: The first is that these clothes have been worn before. They have also seen much better days, with rips and tears all over the garments. The rips and tears all seem to have been repaired with some care to try and mask the damage; although your detailed inspection allows you to see the true state of the clothing. There is also a large amount of hair both within the bag and on/around the clothing. The hair is thick, long, and dark in colour.

You notice that the tree the branch is connected to (that the bag was hanging from) has deep scratches on it. The area immediately around the tree also seems to have two sets of tracks (besides your own). One appears to match the shoes that accompany the set of clothing; which lead back to the road. The other set of tracks appear to be large paw prints in the mud; which come from the forest. Both tracks seem to intermingle and step within each other in close proximity to the tree. Worryingly, however, both sets of tracks terminate/begin at the bag.

Perhaps Kyran's initial assessment was correct?

Ever ready for danger, Kyran brings his weapon up and fires at the Druid. The bullet passes through the Druid's torso and splinters a nearby tree. The Druid holds it's chest and grunts in pain.

(Askan, do you want to attack or remain preparing a counter attack?)

Erevan stabs out with his pike, but the raving Druid side-steps out of the way, cackling.

(I'll wait and see if Kyril responds and posts, otherwise I'll NPC him. Ciardha what are you doing this round?)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Askan quickly checks the battlefield and tries to get to the human figure to engage him (?) in melee combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    If rolls do not stay, please reroll them at your convenience. +5 to attack and 1d6+5 damage. If my roll is below 8 (for attacking, or 13 in total), I add 1d8 to my attack roll. If I hit him, I will add another 1d8 to damage.

If I am forced to engage the twiglets, I will not spend dice.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha move to in front of the raggedy looking man, designating him as his target as he does. As he gets to him his blade lights up with a green fire and he attacks the man, flaming licking off the blade here and there.

Show
    Turn
    Bonus - Hexblade curse the dude
    Move - up to him
    Standard - Green Flame Blade (1d20+7)[20], Damage - (1d8+7)[11], crit on 19 or 20, when he dies I gain 8 HP
    If the attacks hits, one of the twig things within 5 feet of him get 4 fire damage

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

16. - Top - End - #286

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let you keep your roll in this instance.

Rolling Askan's extra damage: (1d8)[1]

17. - Top - End - #287

Zombie

You're not sure if this person is a man or a woman - they have long, shaggy brown hair that covers half their face. The other half of their face is coated in mud, dirt, tattoos and scarification. Their body is coated in a mess of mix-matched leathers and leaves; more for decoration than armament.

In any case, Askan approaches the Druid and drives his weapon into it. The crazed person tries to swipe at the monster hunter.

That's when Ciardha steps in. With the Druid impaled for a brief moment on Askan's sword, the Hexblade moves up and decapitates the Druid in one fell slice. The flames that lick off the blade catch on one of the Twig creatures just behind the Druid and it immediately bursts into flames - much as tinder would upon a fire. It crumples and burns to death in a matter of moments. Horrifically it mimes the death throes that you'd expect a normal humanoid to display, but no sound issues forth from it's quietly screaming mouth.

(Druid is dead, so if you gain Temporary Hit Points you gain them now)

Kyril, Ismark and Ireena draw their weapons and rush the remaining Twig creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kyril Rapier Attack: (1d20+5)[10], Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Ismark Longsword First Attack: (1d20+5)[11], Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Ismark Longsword Second Attack: (1d20+5)[18], Damage: (1d10+3)[12]
    Ireena Longsword Attack: (1d20+3)[16], Damage: (1d10+1)[5]

Between the clashing and slicing of blades, the Twig creatures are quickly cut down; their corpses becoming almost indistinguishable from the surrounding foliage. You'd never know they were even here, had you not cut them down just a second ago.

The Twig creatures are nothing but plant matter and so have nothing of value.

The Druid has a gnarled quarterstaff, it's mix-matched leather and leaf clothing (which, when you inspect it, does not seem to confer any kind of protection whatsoever), some weird bone trinkets, a strange effigy - it looks like the twig creatures, only much smaller, inanimate and much less humanoid (think Blair Witch Project stick effigies), a few pouches full of leaves and stones and finally a small bag full of what appears to be very fine sand. Upon closer inspection you discover this Druid was a woman.

(Are you taking anything?)

"I have heard rumours that wild Druids roam the Woods and congregate somewhere. Where that is, I do not know. We should keep moving, just in case there are more nearby." Mentions Ismark, sheathing his sword.

After deciding what, if anything, to take, the remainder of your day goes without incident. You remain slightly on edge at the idea of another Druid encounter whilst travelling through the Woods, but you encounter none.

The path continues to slowly incline upwards and eventually the trees to your left disappear and are replaced with open plains. The trees to your right continue onwards with you as you travel the road.

Night begins to fall and you start to feel tired.

(How would you like to set up camp and do you plan to have a watch rotation or? Anything else you'd like to do whilst camping? Otherwise make sure you tick off another day's worth of rations)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-03-14 at 12:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Some of it might possess beneficial magic, let me confirm that before we toss this." If the others don't object, Kyran will gather it all up, and once they have a few minutes to stop, will perform a ritual to let him examine the objects in detail.

He will volunteer for a shift at watch.

Show
    Arcana check to identify item properties after Detect Magic ritual is complete (1d20+4)[18]
    Perception for watch shift (1d20+3)[17]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Go on ahead, Kyran. I will watch the woods in the meantime. The hunter is slightly unsure if the druid wanted to attack them at all. He patrols around the combat area, fiddling with the one miniature twiglet he picked up. If this could fight for me once thrown, it'll be a pocket monster. Sounds amusing... While distracted with the watch, he absentmindedly plays with the effigy as if it were a puppet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just take my passive perception for that.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-03-15 at 06:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha once again, to Askan's shagrin most likely, casts his spell so that he is able to see if anything is Arcane. The pieces he finds that have some magical potential to them, he picks out for Kyran to figure out later. "These things here are the ones that you would do well to inspect more. Everything else is mundane, superstitious nonsense."

When the reach the camp, Ciardha takes out his pipe and lights it, the smoke once again looking vaguely like skulls in the fire-light. He also takes out his journal and makes an entry for the day's events. Not being able to see his writing very well, he find a good, sturdy stick nearby. He then plants it in the ground and hands his waterskin from it. He then sits right in front of both of the objects, turns around, and touches the waterskin. It starts to glow with a bright light, which in turn illuminates his pages so that he can see to write. Once he is done, he puts up his Journal and waves a hand...the light disappearing as he does. Then he puts up everything and starts to meditate in front of the fire before going to bed.

Show
    Detect magic on the tidbits from the druid, and of course Light on the waterskin

Last edited by Irish Musician; 2018-03-15 at 10:08 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

21. - Top - End - #291

BardGuy

"Horrific enough for this place," Erevan commented. He took a long swig from a bottle at his side before moving on.

As they made camp, he volunteered for second watch, murmuring a prayer under his breath. When his watch came, he rested on his pike, staring absently into the darkness that surrounded him. If anyone was watching the watcher, they would have seen him sigh and glace at his sleeping comrades more than once, before turning back to pace the edges of the camp.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[18]

22. - Top - End - #292

Zombie

You set up camp for the night. You begin your various evening rituals and examine the loot from the Druid.

The Druid's staff appears to be a functional, if barbaric, quarterstaff. Although not magical in itself, there are lingering magical elements within the wood, suggesting spells have been cast on it or through it.

The pouches full of leaves and stones also register as non-magical, but have traces of magic imprinted upon them. Since some of you are spellcasters, you recognise this to be a rudimentary form of spell-component pouch.

The 'armour' is completely non-magical; as are the bone trinkets.

The twig effigy that Askan decides to play with, much like the staff and spell-component pouch, isn't magical in itself, but appears that magic has been cast through it. Perhaps this effigy is used in some kind of Druidic ritual to create the Twig creatures you fought?

The pouch full of fine sand, however, does ping up on the magical spectrum. After some examination you come to conclusion that this is Dust of Disappearance. You have enough of it for a single use.

This is the first night you have spent truly alone in the wilderness of Barovia. It is not a pleasant experience.

Suddenly there is a clap of thunder, a flash of lightning, and sudden it begins to rain heavily. Funny... you didn't see much in the way of storm clouds earlier....

You take refuge just within the forest - still within sight of the road - for cover. The trees do actually do a good job of keeping most of the rain off of you. This seems to be offset, however, by the constant sound of snapping twigs and branches, and faint echoes of... howls? Screams? Whispers?

Those of you on watch get the distinct feeling you yourselves are being watched and you find yourself whipping around in the middle of the night as though you felt a presence behind you. But, alas, there is never anything there when you look.

Those of you trying to sleep fare little better - the paranoia and anxiety of sleeping in the wilderness of a land steeped in horror and death is incredible. Your dreams are shattered moments of insanity, punctuated by several startled awakenings and brief amnesia of your surroundings before you senses realign and you put yourself back to sleep.

Dawn comes. The rains cease. You are still alive. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

You did not sleep well; but you are rested. Ismark looks especially dour and grumpy. Ireena, on the other hand, looks as though she's slept very well and awakens as vibrant and as lovely as ever. In her own way, she is the dawn - a face that brings a smile and a small amount of hope into your heart; even if you have your reservations about her.

You eat breakfast, pack up and move out.

(Rolling...)

23. - Top - End - #293

Zombie

You follow the dirt road as it winds its way upwards for a couple of hours before reaching an arching bridge of mould-encrusted stone that spans a natural chasm. Gargoyles cloaked in black moss perch on the corners of the bridge, their frowns weatherworn. On the mountainous side of the bridge, a waterfall spills into a misty pool nearly a thousand feet below. The pool feeds a river that meanders into the fog-shrouded pines that blanket the valley. The scene sounds familiar to the location the Vistani described when relating the tale of the battle between the Wizard and Strahd. If that is so, this waterfall feeds the River Ivlis below.

Beyond the bridge the forest ends.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[8] - You all spot this passively

In a tree nearby you notice a large nest of bats. You also notice they appear to be awake and watching you.

(How do you wish to proceed? I need to know how you're crossing this chasm - e.g. are you all going at once? Sending one at a time? The bridge is big enough to fit several people side-by-side and is about 100ft across)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-03-16 at 06:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran stares back at the bats for a time. "Be wary, Strahd is watching."

When the group reaches the bridge, the artificer takes a look at the gargoyles. "I think I can tag those from here, make sure they're not going to move while we're crossing, if any are more than they appear. Shall I?"

Show
    Perception (1d20+3)[21]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

That is odd, aren't they supposed to hide during the day? Askan recalls his grandfather's stories about removing bats from nobles' attics. It was not advised since they are harmless and remove other critters like moths. But these ...things feel more eerie.

Askan looks at Kyran. He heard horror stories about living gargoyles but he thought that is nothing more than a creepy fairy tale. Are you serious or are you telling me the boogeyman hides behind the next corner? he adds jokingly, in a half-serious manner. He was wrong before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature for the bats: (1d20+3)[20]
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-03-16 at 07:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

Zombie

Kyran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gargoyles look to be your typical stylised squat demonic-looking things. A lot of their fine details have been eroded away by the proximity to the waterfall; leaving their features smooth and simple. You watch them closely but they do not move at all. At a glance they appear to be solid stone. Nothing really strikes you as remarkable at a glance.

(Are you looking for anything in particular?)

Askan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know everything you wish to know about bats, and may read this for more information. (I could link you to the individual bat monster, but this is a swarm, so this is more appropriate)

You are absolutely correct that these bats do not seem to be behaving naturally. Most, if not all, would indeed by asleep during the day. Every single bat, as far as you can see, is awake and watching you. Not only that, but they seem to be watching you purposefully; not simply as an animal might from a foreign creature venturing near.

They aren't taking any action beyond observing you and chittering to themselves quietly.

27. - Top - End - #297

BardGuy

"Very odd. I guess we should be ready to fend them off if we need to," Erevan added. He stared intently at the bridge. "I don't suppose this thing isn't going to kill us too, especially if this is the place the Vistani meant when they were talking about that wizard." He began to step forward, but halted when Kyran mentioned that the gargoyles might be "alive" (as much as the word could apply).

Once Kyran's suspicions about the gargoyles were resolved (one way or another), Erevan stepped forward to the edge of the gorge. He tapped on the bridge with the butt of his pike a few times, then crouched and searched for any obvious signs that the bridge was unstable.

Show
    Perception to look for signs that the bridge might be dangerous: (1d20+3)[14]

28. - Top - End - #298

Zombie

Erevan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing seems to happen when you tap your pike on the bridge. The bridge has patches of moss growing in places and is wet (due to being close to the waterfall). You might slip if you ran across the bridge or if you weren't careful, but the bridge is generally wide enough that unless you were dancing on the edge you'd just fall onto the bridge itself. There are no guard rails, stone or otherwise though, so it is possible to walk or be forced off the bridge.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Here goes nothing. Askan crosses the bridge as the first member, alone. His rests his hand on his sword hilt.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hold up just a moment, I'm not liking this. Here, tie a rope around your waist."

Kyran will lend his rope to this purpose, making a safety line for Askan, that could be used to pull him back. if more length is needed, he will borrow from others. Once that is set, the artificer will stand with his weapon at the ready, prepared to fire at anything that causes trouble.

If Askan makes it to the other side unharmed, Kyran will ask him to secure the other end of the rope to let others cross one or two at a time.