New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: IC: Curse of Strahd, Chapter 1: Know your enemy

Erevan noticed the light beginning to shine from Ciardha's hand.

"Best get this over with quickly..." he muttered under his breath.

Working from long experience, he swept his pike from the ground and followed up his companion's swing with a thrust from the weapon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Picking up the dropped weapon as part of last turn and stabbing the wolf in front of him.

Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[12] + (1d4)[4]

2. - Top - End - #182

Zombie

(Ouch, big damage, but still not connecting)

Erevan tries again to spear the wolf, but it leaps out of the way once more.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Determined to end this, Kyran reloads and fires again, targeting the beast in front of Lucian. He's starting to feel like crafting this weapon was the best decision of his life.

Show
    Almost there...
    (1d20+6)[20]
    (2d6+4)[7] (1d6)[2]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #184

Zombie

Another bullet lodges itself within the body of the dire wolf attacking Lucian. The wolf stumbles, whimpering, but just barely stands back up. It looks to be on it's last legs.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

The mad one's nearly dead. We need healing! Askan shouts.

6. - Top - End - #186

As if to complement the fighter's words, Kyril mumbles a few syllables, head lolling back and forth.

"...the wolves' red head has led us dead..."

Show
    I'd do a long dramatic edgy dreamscape RP like I did last time I died, but I don't have that much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.

7. - Top - End - #187

Zombie

(NPCing Nestor to keep things moving, I suspect Askan will want his actions once Nestor's is resolved)

Nestor ushers Kyril to the ground and beseeches Sune to close the Bard's wounds and restore him to life. His Holy Symbol glows bright for a moment.

Kyril:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Wounds: (1d8+2)[6] - Regain this many HP and become conscious. Your action has already been used for a Death Save, but your next turn should roll around pretty quickly. Currently you are prone.

Kyril, your eyes flicker open and the nightmare of combat, blood and desperation greets you once more.

Kyril stops bleeding and becomes responsive again.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Stay behind me. How I see it, we are cleaning up now. the hunter says in an almost cocky tone, while using a highly aggressive stance to drive the beast back.

Spoiler
    Show
    God am I happy when I get my 3rd level on Fighter for a bit of variety in combat. Attacking, again.
    Attack (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (1d6+5)[8] (since I think Nestor stands behind me to cast a spell I don't think I have sneak at the moment.

9. - Top - End - #189

Zombie

The wolves continue their bloody assault, undeterred.

Seeing Erevan as nothing more than a nuisance, the Dire Wolf that was snapping at the Paladin turns it's attention back to the Warlock who stabbed at it.

Ciardha:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolf Attack: (1d20+5)[19]

Damage: (2d6+3)[11]

If the attack hits, make a DC 13 Strength Save or be knocked Prone

Lucian:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolf Attack: (1d20+5)[24]

Damage: (2d6+3)[12]

Ismark:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Wolf Attack with Advantage: (1d20+5)[13] or (1d20+5)[11]

Damage: (2d6+3)[9]

Second Wolf Attack with Advantage: (1d20+5)[13] or (1d20+5)[22]

Damage: (2d6+3)[11]

Ismark Save, if needed: (1d20+3)[7]
    Ismark Save, if needed: (1d20+3)[15]

Ismark manages to fend off the first wolf on him and tries to block the second, but the wolf's teeth sink deep into his arm. It tries to drag him down, but Ismark manages to painfully stay on his feet. You've witnessed him weather several powerful attacks and remain combat effective and you marvel at his endurance and tenacity.

(Turn becomes yours)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-21 at 06:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Zombie

(Kyril is conscious, but prone. His rapier is where he dropped it when he went unconscious, but otherwise he still has everything with him - he could stand and retrieve his rapier if he wished to and still attack the wolf on Ciardha/Erevan)

Lucian gets pulled to the ground by the weight of the wolf and it takes a chunk of flesh from his body. The Fighter takes a deep breath, grits his teeth, and with all his might shoves the wolf off of him; standing up in the process.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action to Stand, Bonus Action to Second Wind for 7 (rolled OOC), Action to Attack.
    Longsword Attack: (1d20+5)[24] - Another CRIT from Improved Critical
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9] - Doubling

With a level of focus that transcends his injuries, Lucian pulls back and waits for the wolf to bite again. This time, as the wolf's jaws are about to close again, the Fighter pushes his Longsword deep into the gullet of the beast and drives it forward all the way up to the hilt. The wolf gargles around the sword and flails for a moment before convulsing and dying on the blade. Lucian retracts the blade and the wolf falls limp to the ground.

Ismark grunts in pain and tries desperately to dispatch the wounded wolves in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    First Longsword Attack: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]

Second Longsword Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

Shortsword Attack: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8]

Unlike Lucian, Ismark appears to be getting tired and losing focus as his swings go wide or are dodged by the wolves.

Ireena grimaces as she sees her brother take another hit and fires another bolt at the wolf attacking her brother.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+1)[9]
    Damage: (1d10)[3]

Unfortunately for Ireena her bolt goes wide.

Oleg loads his Heavy Crossbow and turns his attention to the relatively healthy wolf on Ciardha/Erevan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[4]
    Damage: (1d10)[4]

Oleg's bolt also misses spectacularly.

(Wow... all the NPCs missed everything. 3 Dire Wolves remain. 2 Wolves on Ismark are extremely wounded and the one on Ciardha/Erevan is mostly healthy)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-21 at 06:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seeing that Ismark is in trouble, tough as he may be, Kyran shifts aim to take first at the wolves by the man. He'll aim for whichever seems to be more wounded.

Show
    (1d20+6)[16] (2d6+4)[12] (1d6)[2]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #192

Zombie

Another shot, another bulls-eye, another dead wolf.

Kyran's shot impacts the back of one of the wolves attacking Ismark and you blow a huge chunk of flesh off it's back. You spot ruptured organs and shredded bones inside the wound and the wolf keels forward dead.

(2 Wolves to go, wounded one on Ismark and healthy one on Ciardha/Erevan. WOW Kyran, talk about consistency! Ciardha, the wolf you cursed is now dead)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-21 at 07:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

You're fine? Fine. Askan nods at Kyril, sprinting into action. No man can have that much stamina, he has to help Ismark. Despite, the sorcerer and his knightly companion should be able to deal with one wolf. He lunges forward and stabs into Ismark's melee.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (2d6+5)[13]

Easier done than said. the fencer follows up.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-02-21 at 07:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

BardGuy

"Our allies are recovered, I see," Erevan muttered as he lunged at the wolf once again. This thing had greater agility than any wolf he had ever seen before... not too surprising, really.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[4] + (1d4)[2]

15. - Top - End - #195

Zombie

(Since you have plenty of room to manoeuvre you would very easily be able to get flanking with Ismark, I'm assuming you're also including Sneak Attack Damage, which you would get regardless of flanking; ultimately it doesn't matter as you've killed it)

Askan runs and takes a leaping strike at the dire wolf attacking Ismark. His blade buries itself deep in the wolf's skull and the wolf dies instantly; falling free of the blade as it crumples.

Ismark is bloody and breathing heavily, but doesn't look in danger of keeling over any second. "My thanks, Askan. And to you, Kyran! Your aim strikes true!" He calls out to the Artificer.

Erevan finally manages to gauge the wolf's movements and stabs his pike forwards. It hits the wolf in the chest and it retreats off the long weapon before it can do too much damage.

(One wolf left, a little bloody, but otherwise good)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-21 at 08:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Zombie

(NPCing Nestor and Ciardha to bring this fight to a close)

Nestor peaks around the cart and mutters a quick prayer to Sune. A Guiding Bolt forms in his hand and he launches it at the remaining wolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guiding Bolt Attack: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (4d6)[20] - This pretty much kills the thing, I mean wow, but I'll keep it alive for Ciardha's attack for dramatic purposes
    If it hits it gives the next attack advantage

The Bolt of radiant energy slams into the beast, burning off hair and cooking flesh. The wolf is lit not only by a baleful green light but by it's fur catching alright. It yelps and whimpers and thrashes violently.

Ciardha brings his sword down in a finishing stroke....

Spoiler
    Show
    Longsword Attack: (1d20+6)[13] or with advantage: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]

....and ends the wolf's existence.

(Another post to follow....)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-22 at 06:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Zombie

(Slightly railroad-y, but want to move the story forward and not break the drama of the story for this segment, so you won't get a chance to react now, only afterwards - I know many of you will want to rush into combat the moment this happens, but you'll get your chance soon enough)

The snarling and growls of the wolves stop and all becomes quiet save for the ragged breaths and small groans from the injured around you.

And many of you are injured.

Ireena puts Ismark's Heavy Crossbow down and climbs off the cart. She immediately heads towards her brother.

Ismark's armour is scratched and dented and you can see several large bite marks across his body, as well as gashes and tears.

Kyril, despite being conscious again, looks as pale as a ghost.

All is quiet for perhaps a few heartbeats before you all hear a very slow, deliberate clapping coming from the road behind you.

Each of you turns and in the middle of the road before you, continuing to slowly clap, is an extremely pale human man with dark, long hair and even darker eyes. His face is almost statuesque in it's beauty. He wears a beautiful flowing blue cloak, a tunic of red buttoned with clasps of gold and ruby, golden chains connect two silver shoulder plates and he carries an ancient looking longsword in a hilt at his side.

Image:
    Spoiler
    Show

You have no idea how he got there. One moment the road was empty. Now a being stands there. Clapping.

It stops clapping and regards you all.

"Most entertaining. And enlightening." The words flow like silk from the being's mouth; both somehow authoritative and soothing at the same time.

Oleg puts his weapon down and bows his head; not seeming to want to make eye contact with this being. Ireena gasps. Ismark spits a gobbet of blood on the road. "Strahd...." He breathes with barely contained hatred.

"Enjoying a wander through my domain, Ismark? Didn't your father ever tell you it's dangerous to travel my roads?" Strahd delivers the barbed insult with great poise and Ismark takes the bait. The fighter charges towards the vampire lord.

"AHH! YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT INSULT, DEVIL!"

Strahd doesn't make any effort to avoid the blades and allows them to slice straight through him. Ismark's anger quickly turns to worry at this apparently lack of self-preservation on Strahd's part.

With an almost preternatural speed, Strahd draws his hand back and backhands Ismark hard across the face. The fighter goes sailing through the air and lands heavily at Ireena's feet. He then proceeds to pull both the blades out of his body and throw them to the ground in front of Ismark. The wounds made by the weapons close up almost instantly.

Strahd's eyes meet Ireena's. "My dear, you continue to look as beautiful as when I first laid eyes upon you. Every meeting is a pleasure." He smiles wickedly, exposing fangs between rows of perfect teeth.

He then turns to the party. "Ah, but where are my manners? I am Count Strahd von Zarovich, I am the ruler of Barovia, and I welcome you to my lands. It is always nice to see... new blood... come my way." The threat is barely contained beyond a veil of charm.

He turns to Kyran and you feel eyes as black as coal bore into yours. "Your son misses you terribly. Perhaps I could be persuaded to reunite the pair of you.... After all, what is a boy without his father?" The statement hits many of you on a personal level; whether it be from a personal loss, the loss that Ismark felt for his father, or even the loss that Donavich felt for Doru.

Before you can respond Strahd moves on. He looks at the cart, upon which sits the eyes downturned Oleg.

Seemingly serious for a change, Strahd simply says: "You tread a dangerous path, Vistana, for you and your people." Oleg doesn't say anything and keeps his eyes thoroughly downturned.

Strahd returns his attention to the rest of you. "Congratulations on besting my hounds. I was hoping you'd survive the encounter - you are so entertaining to watch. Make no mistake, I shall be continuing to watch you. Continue to... entertain me... and perhaps you will be rewarded." His words drip with false promises and alluring innuendos. "Until next we meet again...." You then watch as Strahd's form disintegrates into a fine mist which darts into the darkness of the nearby woodland and out of sight.

You let out a breath you didn't realise you were holding. You have seen the face of your enemy. You have heard it speak. Now you know your enemy.

(You can now have control of your character's back - heal up, repair, discuss, do what you need to do and then let me know when you'd like to continue)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-23 at 05:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran's grip on his rifle tightens as Strahd appears, and his face sets into a rictus of agony and rage as the vampire lord taunts him with his lost child. But his wounds cannot be ignored, and Ismark's failure to cause any harm to the devil is fresh. The man stands there, frozen, until Strahd is gone.

The man drops his weapon, then to his knees, trembling, fingers tearing into the earth. Trying to avoid screaming his anguish and fury out for the world to hear.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Ciardha Kane, Aasimar Warlock
    Level 3 Hexblade Warlock | AC:18 | HP: 25/25 | Slots: 2/2

Ciardha, after having been healed up by Erevan and his own spells, watches Strahd's display of power. His hands and clenched and they start to glow with a golden energy. His jaw is tight and his eyes burn with fire. Thought he does not move to attack, esp after Ismark's weapons do nothing to the Vampire.

They would need to become much stronger if they were to kill this evil.

Ciardha then walks over to Kyran. He grabs the man's shoulders and gets him back up to a standing position. Ciardha look him straight in the eyes. "We need to focus and get her to safety. But do not forget this. Do not lose that anger and that hate of him. Use it. Use it to fuel your revenge and to help bring the justice that monster so richly deserves. For your son....for everyone we've lost. Put those feelings into a box, and let them out when the time is right. Every minion we face, every monster we kill, is one step closer to the father of them all." Ciardha's hands are still glowing slightly with that golden color, and his eyes seem to have fires burning in them. He pauses and keeps Kyran's gaze. He picks up the man's weapon, and places it back in his hands, never breaking eye contact. "We will get it done...or die trying." Whatever energy that has crept up is now going back from where it came.

"It seems these wolves were Strahd's minions....." Oleg and his downturn eyes do not escape the notice of most everyone. Ciardha narrows his eyes at the man and watches him for a long moment. He says nothing, but keep his thoughts to himself.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #200

BardGuy

Erevan stood for a long time, staring into the woods behind where Strahd had disappeared. Finally, he muttered something (probably a curse) under his breath and turned to the group.

"Clever little.... He knows us too well."

The half-elf walked over to Ismark, and helped him stand, then stabbed his pike into the ground, leaning on the upturned haft.

"We should get moving. No telling what sort of Aressan monsters he'll throw at us next. Is anyone badly wounded?"

Spoiler: OOC note
    Show
    Ciardha would recognize "Aressan" as an adjective Erevan has used before, usually to (angrily) describe unnatural or extremely violent monsters.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Askan was abruptly reminded that he hunted smaller "game" up until now. An zombie infested graveyard perhaps, or a small haunted cottage, or at the height of his career until now, the last remain witch of a coven. But Strahd was an entirely new league. The gravitas this man possessed, the ease the vampire displayed by both appearing without trace, taunting them and then disappearing was unreal. After the shock ended, Askan was reminded that he had suffered a few nasty bites himself. Though the second thing he was concerned with was Kyril's status. The poor half-breed nearly died, and was just resurrected to watch the horrors in his head take form before him.

Askan snaps with his fingers a few times before Kyril's face as if to wake him. Then he guides him carefully towards the healers. Stop your self-righteous blabbering for a few minutes and help me bandage up the worst injuries. he says to Ciardha, not in an angry but concerned tone. I do not like that he found us this easily. We have to continue our journey. Please say, the Vistani can help us, Ireena. Even if not, maybe they know where my master is. He knows what to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope it was okay to start RP with Kyril and power emote a few things for him. Irish I love your character and how incredibly edgy he is. So do not take any ingame criticism to heart. I feel our characters will never truly become friends.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran eventually, slowly, nods at Ciardha's words, Limping back over to the wagon, he leans against it as he examines the wound in his leg. Its not spurting at least, but the seeping blood is not slow.

Removing an odd and intricate metal device from his pack, The tinker holds it above the wound and starts focusing. For those with the eyes to see, raw energy from the weave is gathered through Kyran and forced into a particular pattern by the device. Soon the wound is closing up. Not all the way, but the bleeding has stopped at least.

Holding it up, he asks in a rather tired tone of voice, "Who else needs healing? I can only manage that once more, then will be spent for the day as far as such tricks go."

Show
    (1d8+2)[6]
    I generally don't like taking healing first, but I think I was the worst injured among those not already healed. I took some fluff liberties with Kyran's method of spellcasting, to make it more of a weird gadget thing than "normal magic", the article didn't separate it at all from the spellcasting everyone else does, which I find disappointingly boring.

23. - Top - End - #203

Zombie

Oleg doesn't respond. He puts his Heavy Crossbow back on the cart and checks on Mishka (the horse).

Between Erevan and his sister, Ismark stands. He groans and shakes his head groggily. He stoops to pick up his swords and as his hands close around his swords he looks over to Oleg.

"He says nothing because his people are in league with Strahd. They work for him and he allows them to wander these lands free of concern."

Oleg looks sullen and turns to address the fighter. "Not all of us serve Strahd. It is true he allows us to come and go as we please from these lands, and we are unmolested by his minions for the most part, and for that I am grateful. I have known many good people die by his hand or the hand of his servants. I do not wish to fight Strahd, as he gives my people many liberties - but I will not help him either. Such an opinion does not sit so well with many of my people and they choose to distance themselves from me. It is why I travel alone or with foreigners. I will take you to the Tser Pool; but I cannot go with you further. I am sorry."

Ireena interjects before Ismark can respond. "Oleg fought by our side against these wolves and Strahd could easily have killed us all here, now, if he wished; of that I have no doubt." She shivers. "No... clearly he wants to keep us alive for a little while longer. We should continue with our current plan; but first we should take a moment to catch our breath and bandage our wounds."

Ismark grumbles something and groans again, sheathing his swords.

Ireena responds to Askan:

"I know you sought out Madam Eva, and I have heard rumours she is a powerful seer; but I do not often deal with the Vistani people. I... rarely got to leave my home... let alone my village...."

(Ismark looks incredibly wounded. He's not on death's door, but he is definitely seriously injured. Lucian also looks very beat up. They both could do with some healing; although if you're taking a Short Rest it may be worth spending some Hit Dice - I'm sure Kyril will provide a Song of Rest (extra d6 HP on a Short Rest?))
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-23 at 06:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

Kyril grits his teeth and sits up, spitting violent, vicious, rhyming curses at the retreating mist. After a moment, he coughs, out of breath, and lies back down. As he catches his breath, he briefly considers the folly in his actions, but disregards it immediately.

"I'll live, although perhaps we should rest here.
    I know that there are still wolves to be feared.
    But we cannot travel further right now
    Lest we be slain by those dark ones that prowl."

As he chants, the blood on his arm seems to stop flowing. He stretches it, wincing slightly before pulling out his viol and playing a frenzied, furious tune.

Kyril was not pleased with how events had transpired.

Show
    Healing Word: (1d4+3)[4]

I will Song of Rest - everyone who spends HD heals an extra 1d6. I will also spend a HD. I'm regretting that Con 10 now...

HD: (1d8)[6]
    Song of Rest: (1d6)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

If anything's injured it is my pride rather than my body. I think a little break, food and bandages are enough for me to continue. You should see after Ismark and Kyril. We should get a little distance to this place before we take a break though. I am not sure but where are predators, there are scavenging beasts. And I have had enough territorial beasts for now. Askan goes back to the caravan and sees that Ismark rests his body for a bit. Askan himself has a slight limp now but he powers through. He tries to guide them to a more defensible spot to take a short rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say travel for another 15-30 minutes to look for a suitable place to take a break. Then short rest plus song of rest. Do you allow out of combat use of second wind?

Survival for the resting place: (1d20+6)[8] (seems Askan is more shaken up than he thought )
    Short Rest (Spending the rogue HD plus song):(1d8+2)[7]+(1d6)[6] (See, all I needed was a break)
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-02-24 at 09:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran moves over to Ismark, still hurting, though it is much improved. He channels through the device once more, trying to ease some of the warrior's wounds.

"And that is it, that is all I can offer for today I am afraid. I suggest that we find good shelter to rest before too long."

Show
    Cure Wounds on Ismark
    (1d8+2)[5]

27. - Top - End - #207

Zombie

Ismark looks at some of the more serious bite wounds closing up in awe. "Thank you, Kyran. A marksman, a healer... do your talents ever cease?!"

(Ismark, Ireena and Oleg don't disagree with the idea of moving a little further away from the battle before resting, so unless anyone has any objections we will say that happens. Yes, I'll allow you to use Second Wind out of combat)

You travel another half hour down the road; but it looks much the same as half an hour ago - a muddy roadway flanked by dark and menacing trees on both sides. Oleg doesn't say anything during the short trip. Ireena offers Ismark her seat upon the cart, but he declines and chooses to walk the whole way. Ireena decides to keep him company and walks with him.

You decide here is as good a place as any. You take a moment to eat and rest for a moment.

Oleg takes some feed out of the cart for Mishka and begins feeding her.

Ireena helps to clean up Ismark with some water and cloth and tries to begin stitching back up some of the gaps in his clothing.

The rest is made a little more comforting by the bardic music from Kyril and you are allowed a brief distraction from the darkness surrounding you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lucian and Ismark have rolled Hit Dice OOC

After resting and eating both Lucian and Ismark look almost as good as new, despite some of the tears in their clothing and armour. (I'll leave you to describe how beat up each of you still looks after resting)

Oleg finally speaks again after being quiet: "We should press on before it gets too dark. The roads are even more dangerous at night."

Even Ismark can't argue with that statement and you pack up your things and prepare to move on.

(Anyone who hasn't already or wants to spend more HD may still do so, just moving the story forward)

You travel for another couple of hours along the road and eventually the woodland thins out to your right and you catch sight of the river again. Oleg stops the cart for a brief moment to allow Mishka to drink and collect some water himself. Ireena and Ismark also take the opportunity to replenish water. (You can also do the same, if you do the water is cool and refreshing). Within a few minutes you are moving again. The woodland quickly reappears again on your right and you lose sight of the river.

Another couple of hours pass without any incident, until you arrive at a crossroads. The sun is beginning to set now and it bathes the landscape in an eyrie red that throws long shadows across the road.

The well-worn road splits here, and a signpost points off in three directions: BAROVIA VILLAGE to the east, TSER POOL to the northwest, and RAVENLOFT/VALLAKI to the southwest. The northwest fork slants down and disappears into the trees, while the southwest fork clings to an upward slope.

By the side of the crossroads is an old wooden gallows, creaking in a chill wind that blows down from the high ground to the west. A frayed length of rope dances from its beam. The gallows stand atop a rotting platform 5 feet high, with wooden stairs leading up to it.

Across from the gallows, a low wall, crumbling in places, partially encloses a small plot of graves shrouded in fog. Eleven graves are here with blank gravestones.

Ireena stares at the gallows and Ismark puts his arm around her and ushers her onwards gently.

Oleg turns the cart towards the northwest fork. "Not far now."

As you travel past the gallows you hear a creaking noise behind you. Where there was nothing before now hangs a lifeless, grey body. The breeze turns the hanged figure slowly, so that it can fix its dead eyes upon you. You don't recognise the figure; although it appears Barovian at a glance.

Erevan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You, however, don't see a Barovian. You see the body of the friend and comrade who came with you on your mission; who hanged themselves because they could not bear to go on. The corpse fixes it's dead eyes on you and you hear a whisper on the wind: "Why didn't you save me? Why didn't you save us all? I am dead because of you."

Oleg, Ireena and Ismark don't seem to react at all and continue heading towards the Tser Pool fork in the crossroads.

(Let me know if you wish to do anything here, otherwise I'll move the party along)
    Last edited by The Commander; 2018-02-24 at 07:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Askan grimly nods at the sight of the gallow and the latest victim. A threat to anyone daring to oppose our fine lord Strahd no doubt. the hunter quietly thinks by himself. Not that the rulers of his realm were any less violent. They were just - more subtle. Askan is still not used to the savage nature of Barovia.

Spoiler
    Show
    I would like to quietly look for tracks in the area. As a player I do not want to ruin Erevan's moment of horror but as a character I do not want to run into an angry mob supporting or revolting against Strahd.

Survival: (1d20+6)[23]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    Ismark looks at some of the more serious bite wounds closing up in awe. "Thank you, Kyran. A marksman, a healer... do your talents ever cease?!"
    "Yes, and not far beyond what you mention." Kyran says simply as he stows the now slightly smoking device, "I'm a tinker, and an inventor. I've made some interesting things in my life, this healing schema and my firearm chief amongst them. But it was luck that left me alive towards the end of that conflict, luck and your help. Also, when it comes to things like these, the best I can claim is dabbling where others with true talents with magic easily surpass me."

When the group gets to the gallows, Kyran simply sets his shoulders and moves on.

Show
    Rolling Hit Dice, until sufficient is obtained
    (1d8+1)[2] (1d8+1)[6] (1d8+1)[5]
    song of rest (1d6)[1]
    Guess I'll take them all
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-25 at 01:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Zombie

Ismark responds to Kyran:

"Ah, you are too modest, my friend. The Morninglord watches over you, I am sure of it. With any luck perhaps you could invent a way to defeat Strahd!" Ismark chuckles and winces, still in pain (this exchange was before you rested, so he's still very injured).

Askan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The road in this area has been well travelled and there are many humanoid looking footprints, hoof prints, tracks from wheels and some beast prints as well.

Looking more closely for recent markings you make out that around 8 horses, pulling 4 wheeled carts or wagons, along with an escort (you count about a dozen escorts), passed through here less than a few days ago.

Even more recently, however, you see 3 sets of strange markings that seem to come from the southwest fork, rush to the gallows, patrol around the gallows for a short time, and then head off towards the northwest fork. The prints don't look like they were made by a beast or a humanoid and they appear to have a lurching quality to their walk. The only thing you do discover as a clue to what these things might have been is a few loose pieces of straw here and there.