New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: So... Are we over hating Twilight now?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Let's say you read the novel First Blood. Then you went to see the movie First Blood. Then you go see Rambo 2: Electric Boogaloo, which was previously titled Santa With Muscles, but Hulk Hogan dropped out so Stallone bought the rights and put John Rambo in the title role, but otherwise left the original script intact.

The novel and the movie would have different interpretations of the character. The second movie has a ridiculously rapid departure of the character. He is a fictional character, but he is not being presented as he was in either the book or the movie. Now, if you greatly enjoyed the book and the movie, it's fair to say you would very likely not enjoy Electric Boogaloo due the radical change in character, is it not?
    But we are not talking about characters are we? We are talking about fictional creatures with self-containing universes, lore and structures.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    But we are not talking about characters are we? We are talking about fictional creatures with self-containing universes, lore and structures.
    What's the difference between fictional people and fictional races? If I were to write a book about Drow, but made them 4-feet tall, stocky, and beards, would I still be writing about Drow?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

What's the difference between fictional people and fictional races? If I were to write a book about Drow, but made them 4-feet tall, stocky, and beards, would I still be writing about Drow?
    Sure why not, why do dwarfs need beards and battle axes? Why do fairies need insect wings? Why does Santa need to use red? Why do vampires need do die in the sunlight?

They are fictional creatures they are not real. They weren't like that in their original sources anyway.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

4. - Top - End - #94

Sure why not, why do dwarfs need beards and battle axes? Why do fairies need insect wings? Why does Santa need to use red? Why do vampires need do die in the sunlight?

They are fictional creatures they are not real. They weren't like that in their original sources anyway.
    Because that's how the public at large perceives them, meaning significant deviations will likely be decried against, especially if the public finds the deviations to make such a creature less enjoyable.

John Rambo is a fictional character. He is not real. He wasn't like the movie version in his original source anyway. And yet, you would certainly expect most people to reject the Electric Boogaloo version.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Because that's how the public at large perceives them, meaning significant deviations will likely be decried against, especially if the public finds the deviations to make such a creature less enjoyable.

John Rambo is a fictional character. He is not real. He wasn't like the movie version in his original source anyway. And yet, you would certainly expect most people to reject the Electric Boogaloo version.
    We are not talking about characters we are tlaking about creatures.

To quote Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw:

"And there's something terribly weird about the standard fantasy setting, not least of which the fact that the phrase "standard fantasy setting" can be uttered without irony. Look at this, we're a civilization so steeped in escapism that we've managed to find mundanity in something that doesn't exist and never will, whatever your Otherkin friend might say. Why is it accepted fact that elves fire bows and arrows and commune with the trees? That was Tolkien's thing. Without him, elves would be just about qualified to sell Rice Krispies. And he made dwarves all have braided beards and wield axes. Real dwarves don't do that; they get hired by Lucasfilm or take corporate office jobs because they're an equal opportunities bonanza. Are we all but children playing forever on the same swing set while J.R.R. is the grumpy dad watching from the park bench and trying not to get aroused?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

No. Not really. If someone were to talk to me about Twilight, I'd still argue it's a poorly written book. It still presents a creepy, possessive, abusive stalker as someone to be admired. While I never bothered to actively go around to tell people how bad it is, I won't recommend the books to anyone either.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

re: Peelee, Amazon:
    Since my comments about backlash appear to have triggered this line of conversation, let me point out that while Stephanie Meyer does not have the power to 'ruin' vampires as a whole, I doubt the critics would agree that the issue with Meyer's vampires is merely that they are nonstandard.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dracula wasn't allergic to the sunlight in the original book.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Dracula wasn't allergic to the sunlight in the original book.
    He couldn't use his powers during Daylight hours, except during exact noon when he cast no shadows.

That's close enough.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    He couldn't use his powers during Daylight hours, except during exact noon when he cast no shadows.

That's close enough.
    But he didn't die and turn into a pile of ashes.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

He was an epic-level vampire. He took some Resistance to Sunlight feats on the way

12. - Top - End - #102

He's also not killed with a stake, they pierced his heart with a Bowie knife. :<

I used to think the wood in the heart disturbed the dark energies that keep the vampire "alive", boy color me disappointed.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, but it was a rather large inconvenience. Honestly not sure where the "destroyed by sunlight" thing came from in the first place, as AFAIK, that wasn't how it worked in the Eastern European myths, which Dracula is inspired from.

He's also not killed with a stake, they pierced his heart with a Bowie knife. :<

I used to think the wood in the heart disturbed the dark energies that keep the vampire "alive", boy color me disappointed.
    The "wives" got staked, with legit wooden stakes, so thats where that came from. In Dracula, you just gotta ram a pointy thing into their heart and then decapitate them *que Brutal Legend gif*
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-01-25 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Nope, but it was a rather large inconvenience. Honestly not sure where the "destroyed by sunlight" thing came from in the first place, as AFAIK, that wasn't how it worked in the Eastern European myths, which Dracula is inspired from.
    It was the classic movie about count Orlok "Nosferatu", who used to be Dracula but got changed because copyrigth stuff(Copyrigth... Copyrigth never changes!)

I really like that movie because Orlok possesses none of his predecessor's aristocratic charm or seductiveness. He resembles historical folklore accounts of vampires, which were described as walking corpses inhabited by a demonic presence. And for some reason I love his outfit ^^
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-25 at 08:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

The "wives" got staked, with legit wooden stakes, so thats where that came from. In Dracula, you just gotta ram a pointy thing into their heart and then decapitate them *que Brutal Legend gif*
    The first work where vampires were killed by sunlight was the 1922 German Expressionist film, Nosferatu.

Which is why I don't mind (and in fact would prefer) vampires that don't die in the sunlight. However making them sparkle is just ridiculous. They're monstrous creatures of the night, not a Disney fairy.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

It was the classic movie about count Orlok "Nosferatu", who used to be Dracula but got changed because copyrigth stuff(Copyrigth... Copyrigth never changes!)

*pic*

I really like that movie because Orlok possesses none of his predecessor's aristocratic charm or seductiveness. He resembles historical folklore accounts of vampires, which were described as walking corpses inhabited by a demonic presence. And for some reason I love his outfit ^^
    Cuz his outfit is classy as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    The first work where vampires were killed by sunlight was the 1922 German Expressionist film, Nosferatu.

Which is why I don't mind (and in fact would prefer) vampires that don't die in the sunlight. However making them sparkle is just ridiculous. They're monstrous creatures of the night, not a Disney fairy.
    I agree, i prefer my non flammable Vamps, but i mostly want them vicious, blood sucking and probably scheming. But not sparkly. Fey can sparkle. Then again, Fey can do whatever they want.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Cuz his outfit is classy as all hell. Fey can sparkle.
    It sure is, to bad his face is the kind of face only a mother can love. :/

Weird my fey are horrible demons who feed on dreams and lost hopes, and give the most AWESOME parties.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

It sure is, to bad his face is the kind of face only a mother can love. :/

Weird my fey are horrible demons who feed on dreams and lost hopes, and give the most AWESOME parties.
    Thats the joy of Fey, pretty much any version is correct.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Thats the joy of Fey, pretty much any version is correct.
    But I think the point the others are tring to make and i agree is that such thing is valid for all forms of fictional creatures.

For exemple what is a troll for you? (Besides an Ahole in the internet)
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-25 at 09:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

But I think the point the others are tring to make and i agree is that such thing is valid for all forms of fictional creatures.

For exemple what is a troll for you? (Besides an Ahole in the internet)
    One of two things, the Grendel style (can't be in sunlight, is big strong and ugly) and the DnD style (big strong and ugly and regenerates unless burned.

Im fine with changing a thing, but it reaches a point where its been changed so much that you have to make a new name for it. See Peelee's example of the Drow that actually are Dwarves.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

One of two things, the Grendel style (can't be in sunlight, is big strong and ugly) and the DnD style (big strong and ugly and regenerates unless burned.

Im fine with changing a thing, but it reaches a point where its been changed so much that you have to make a new name for it. See Peelee's example of the Drow that actually are Dwarves.
    Oh boy you're in for a treat:
    Spoiler
    Show

They are all different and all equally valid.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-25 at 09:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

We are not talking about characters we are tlaking about creatures.
    Again, what is the functional difference here?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-25 at 09:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

A troll can be anything. It can be a food you eat, a tool you use, a machine that drives you around, a natural weather phenomenon, a monster, a type of quadcopter, a mathematical equation, etc.

These are all equally valid examples of trolls.

And vampires actually.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Welcome to descriptivism, where everything's made up and the rules don't matter. (Which is partly true, but incomplete.)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    A troll can be anything. It can be a food you eat, a tool you use, a machine that drives you around, a natural weather phenomenon, a monster, a type of quadcopter, a mathematical equation, etc.

These are all equally valid examples of trolls.

And vampires actually.
    No, they're not. Words have context and meaning, and while both may change over time there needs to be some sort of consensus for that to happen.

In this case, the cultural meme of what a vampire (or a troll, or whatever) is always has some sort of canon core, the kernel that all lore of that type agrees on. For vampires, it's that they're undead, have some negative relationship with sunlight, feed off humans, and have an underlying connotation as being darkly seductive/representing the darker side of human lust.

By that token, by the by, Twilight vampires certainly fall under that loose canon and hits every single one of those main beats, though they shirk some of the more established accoutrements and established intensities of certain of those traits.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Who's gender-swapping a main character?
    I misspoke, they simply took the formulae and changed the gender of the main character, but they didn't swap the gender of any characters I know of.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I misspoke, they simply took the formulae and changed the gender of the main character, but they didn't swap the gender of any characters I know of.
    I'm still confused as to what you're talking about, since you never mentioned anything by name, and nothing like that has ever been mentioned in this thread that I know of.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-01-26 at 03:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'm still confused as to what you're talking about, since you never mentioned anything by name, and nothing like that has ever been mentioned in this thread that I know of.
    I think he means that Wonder Woman is just like a Marvel movie except that it features a female lead, which he views as not particularly important to the film's Academy case.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Let's say you read the novel First Blood. Then you went to see the movie First Blood. Then you go see Rambo 2: Electric Boogaloo, which was previously titled Santa With Muscles, but Hulk Hogan dropped out so Stallone bought the rights and put John Rambo in the title role, but otherwise left the original script intact.

The novel and the movie would have different interpretations of the character. The second movie has a ridiculously rapid departure of the character. He is a fictional character, but he is not being presented as he was in either the book or the movie. Now, if you greatly enjoyed the book and the movie, it's fair to say you would very likely not enjoy Electric Boogaloo due the radical change in character, is it not?
    Is this actually what happened?

Because that would explain a lot.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

30. - Top - End - #120

Concerning vampires, just cut their feet off and fill their butts with onions.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).