New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: What mechanics do you wish were in other games?

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    Hmmm, in no particular order:

• Classic Traveller / Early D&D style different systems for different things. We don't have to go overboard with this, but I'll be honest these days I'm less and less enamored with "one mechanic to rule them all" systems. I'm 100% behind the benefits that it provides, and I'm keen to have a "primary" mechanic for any system, but too often things try to get shoehorned into them that should just have their own system.
    I actually agree here very strongly. Similar systems for similar things, but squishing everything into the same mechanic can cause playability issues--mainly in increased edge-case interactions. For me, it's best if they're related mechanics (because too many radically different systems make my brain hurt), but I'm fine with some rolls being vs a fixed TN, others as opposed checks, and others on a sliding scale.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really like the over-the-top critical hit tables in Dark Heresy, and more relevantly, I'd like to have that combat system in more games.

I like the comparatively low amount of wounds and the fact that hits to different parts of the body were more debilitating. There are a few changes I'd make though, and I still feel that sometimes wounds are still a little too high. A Lasgun/Autogun should easily kill an unarmored target of average human resilience in 1-2 shots, and Space Marines shouldn't have a good chance of surviving the blast of a Leman Russ Battle Cannon.

In my ideal system, I'd do away with hitpoints entirely and just make death and injury based on a series of location-specific critical hit charts.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh yeah, our own Grod's STARS system. Sadly I didn't had the chance to play it yet, but I really like the advantage system (or what the system call it, I forgot, but I'll just call it advantage for this purpose). It makes sense, and make both strategic and narrative sense. I might forgot the details, but the gist that I remember is, here are "tiers" of things, one tier advantage give you bonus, and two tier advantage basically make you automatically succeed. So for example, there might be strength tier of "superhero," "olympian," and "trained" and someone with strength in superhero tier would automatically win against someone in "trained" tier. Another example would be weapon tier, where armored vehicle might be considered two tiers above personal handgun, so you can shoot at a tank all day long with your pistol and it won't give them a scratch.

But you can stack advantage for yourself or give disadvantages to your opponent!

This really gives me cool scenes in my head already. You're fighting giant mech on foot. Your sniper is good, but his gun won't be able to scratch the mech's armor at all. So you set up a plan to lure the giant mech to an alley where you have strategically prepared holes that will trap the mech (give it disadvantage), and put your sniper on top of a high building and hide him for ambush (advantage). That should give your sniper a chance to damage the mech! and maybe... you can try to put more disadvantage at the mech, so your sniper have a chance to shoot the pilot... and now it all depends on whether you can lure the mech to the specific place, and whether your sniper can actually make the shot...
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I really like the Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard/Torchbearer take on metacurrency, wherein you can hoard it if you want, but only Spent metacurrency turns into XP, giving a strong incentive to spend it to get sweet bonuses.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Not really a mechanics thing per se, but I wish more games would do what Rule of Cool Games' Legend system did in the rulebook: highlight or otherwise differentiate rules-relevant keywords in the body of the text. Legend did this by simply enclosing the [keywords] in square brackets. It makes it much more clear when you're using a term in a crunch or fluff context.

Also there was this RPG called Tailwinds that last I saw (many years ago) was still in-development, but it had an interesting mechanism for fights in at least one version. (forgive me if my memory on this is a little fuzzy.) Rather than "the other side is killed" as the default win condition and consequences of a battle, instead the two sides named the "stakes" of the fight, in the forms of the desired outcomes of the two sides - e.g. "The enemy soldiers escape with the artifact" vs. "We steal the artifact back". The game then had a pool of "health points" associated with each goal, and attacks/moves were made against the goals instead of directly against the opponents, and whoever depleted their goal's "heath points" first accomplished their goal. No idea how well it worked in practice, as I have never played the system, but it does seem like a way to allow the PCs to actually risk losing fights without actually risking dying.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Tri-Stat's really elegant Power Level system (much like Mutants & Masterminds, but the cap works better IMO).

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    Also there was this RPG called Tailwinds that last I saw (many years ago) was still in-development, but it had an interesting mechanism for fights in at least one version. (forgive me if my memory on this is a little fuzzy.) Rather than "the other side is killed" as the default win condition and consequences of a battle, instead the two sides named the "stakes" of the fight, in the forms of the desired outcomes of the two sides - e.g. "The enemy soldiers escape with the artifact" vs. "We steal the artifact back". The game then had a pool of "health points" associated with each goal, and attacks/moves were made against the goals instead of directly against the opponents, and whoever depleted their goal's "heath points" first accomplished their goal. No idea how well it worked in practice, as I have never played the system, but it does seem like a way to allow the PCs to actually risk losing fights without actually risking dying.
    Wushu also adopts a similar system, where players are "fighting" not just foes, but an encounter and it doesn't really differentiate between a physical melee or any other conflict, whether it be a heated debate or a pie-gorging contest. It lends itself well to the narrative style of the game.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thinking back, I kind of like Skill Groups from Shadowrun as well. Just a block of skills at the same level.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Tri-Stat's really elegant Power Level system (much like Mutants & Masterminds, but the cap works better IMO).
    That always confused me as to how it was meant to represent power level. Isn't Tri-Stat a roll under system, and the higher the power level the larger dice you roll? I ended up with the impression that as PL increased a particular rating became less likely to succeed, because now the range of values on the dice is higher and weighted towards the average.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.