New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Looking for feedback on Homebrew subclass; Fighter: Scout

The archetypal Scout excels at finding safe passage through dangerous regions. Scouts usually favor light armor and ranged weapons. They excel with mobility and use it to get an advantage on their target through range.

Bonus Proficiencies

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in three of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics, Athletics, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. You can choose to gain proficiency with thieves’ tools in place of one skill choice.

At 3rd level, you gain the ranger class feature, Natural Explorer, and can choose additional favored terrain types at 7th and 15th level.

Skirmish

At 3rd level, you gain an extra 1d4 weapon damage on all attacks made with a weapon if you move at least 10 feet during your turn before the attack is made. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the scout's turn. This damage increases to 1d6 at level 10. Skirmish cannot apply to weapons with the Heavy property or melee weapons otherwise wielded with two hands.

The extra damage only applies against living creatures that have a discernible anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The scout must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Scouts can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet.

Fast Movement

At 5th level. the scout can increase their movement speed by 10 feet as a Bonus Action until the end of their turn. Moving through non-magical difficult terrain costs no extra Movement for the duration of this ability. This can only be used once then the scout must take a Short or a Long Rest before they can use this feature again. This ability cannot be used if the Scout is carrying more than three-quarters of their carrying capacity and cannot be used while wearing Medium or Heavy armor.

Hide in Plain Sight

Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, Plants, soot, and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.

Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain there without moving or taking actions. Once you move or take an action or a reaction, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit.

Blindsight

A 15th level, the scout gains the Blindsight ability out to 30 feet. Their senses become so acute that they can maneuver and fight flawlessly even in total darkness. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the scout must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern it.

Notes: I was looking at the Unearthed Arcana Fighter: Scout subclass and I wasn't really thrilled. It seemed to more or less copy the Cavalier with the use of superiority dice. A friend of mine told me that this was made early in 5e to differentiate Fighters from Barbarians and that it more or less became the Battlemaster subclass.

I'm a fan of fighters and non-magical units in D&D so I tried whipping up a Scout subclass for fighter. It's not perfect but I was wondering if I could get feedback here on how something like this could be balanced. I more or less looked to 3.5 Scout and meshed it with the UA FIghter Scout. Only I toned down the 1d6 Skirmish damage down to 1d4 since Fighters can get extra attacks.

My friend just says to go with a Rogue to be sneaky and get sneak attacks, but idk... Their subclasses are things like Thief, Assassin, Edgelord McGoo, I just like fighters and was going for more of a Military-type Scout.

As far as I can tell from looking over the Rogue class in roll20 compendium, they can attack once but get crazy bonus damage from sneak attacks. sneaking is their thing and have ample opportunities to hide and reacquire their sneak attack. Fighter Scouts can be sneaky in some sense, depends if they prefer stealth or tracking, and in my homebrew I brought up Hide in Plain Sight (camo) at level 10, same level rangers get it. But they get multiple attacks so I went with 1d4 extra attack from skirmish down from 1d6 from 3.5's scout which was 1d6 + an additional 1d6 skirmish damage every 4th level.

If the fighter scout wants to make the most of their abilities, they would HAVE to use light armor and finesse weapons most of the time since Skirmish would be brutally op on a great sword or something. They can go in, hide in camo and have fairly decent damage which is more constant than the rogue's since they can be exposed but have to be within 30 feet of the target. Move 10 feet in, strike with a bow, move 20 feet out, constantly mobile and mostly out of harms way against melee enemies.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ruchalus; 2018-01-25 at 10:35 PM.