New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iron Gods (IC)

1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Gods (IC)

Tamreil shook his head at Gherrion's foul language, speaking to him in elven "I would appreciate it if you would watch that mouth of yours, especially when in the presence of ladies. Unless of course you don't have the intelligence to form coherent and logical thoughts... In which case I feel sorry for us all and pray that you will one day gain the intellect required to survive in civilized society." Hearing Mithian's offer for a place to store equipment reminded him that he did probably need to drop a few pounds worth of equipment, he had a lot of stuff that could help in various ways but then there were items that just would not help him at all down in the Caverns. "Mithian, after we acquire our goods I would gladly take you up on the offer to store some items at your home, I carry a lot of useful but encumbering items that would most likely be best left somewhere safe."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gherrion

Gherrion did NOT like swimming, and certainly not swimming in a pond upstream of the crowfeather palace where years of runoff from the torch itself had fouled the waters. You'd probably get violently ill if you drank it and swimming in it wouldn't be good for your health.

He listened to their leader's response for a time and considered her words. In common, he replied, "Waterskin and a few days ration. Spells like that probably won't last through the night so there's no reason to pack camping gear or bedrolls. If Khonnir and his group cleared the way for us it should be pretty easy to get to this metal wall and beyond."

Hearing elvish spoken by a human was one thing, hearing the cheeky bastard mouth him off for an oath made in revulsion at the thought of swimming through chemical runoff sent his blood boiling and he almost considered drawing on the man. He'd been quiet for most of their trip and Gherrion had wished he'd kept his damned gob shut for the rest of it if that sanctimonious trite was going to be leveraged at him. He seethed at the man and barked in rapid elven,

"If these ladies faint at some cursing how are they going to handle something foul trying to kill 'em? You seem to have a pretty high opinion of yourself and a pretty damned low one of your companions if you think they can't handle a bit of cursing. I was studying literature before your father was born, human, so I suggest you focus that arrogant sophistry on your own problems and leave an old elf be."
    Spoiler: Retired Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Meiling

At first, Meiling doesn't have a problem swimming in the pond. Dirty or not, it's just water. Just doesn't swallow it and you'll be fine, right? But as everyone starts talking, she remembers that she would rather not dirty her drinks in the water. But still, the waterskin should suffice. Her mind wanders into thoughts of keeping her drinks clean, and that she'd rather not use her favorite clothes to swim into dirty water. Maybe she should change?

Meiling stands still with her hand on chin, thinking. She loses herself in thought as the people around her start arguing in foreign language.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dolga looks over your group once more. If she understands Gherrion and Tamriel's... discussion in Elven she gives no sign of it. "Well, if that is all, best you be about it, then. If you need anything else, come to see any of the council and we will do what we can. Best of luck to you all." She sighs. "But, I do have other business to attend to. The city doesn't simply put everything on hold because someone is missing. If you don't have anything else for me, I will take my leave."

If no one else has anything to ask, she excuses herself and steps out of the room, leaving you all to make your way back out of the town hall. As Ciyradyl is a follower of Brigh, and a couple of you spend a good bit of time at the temple anyway, you know where the temple is--just a few blocks north of the town hall. It is possibly the second most impressive edifice in the town, made of pale stone with brass inlays, much like the symbolic mask of the goddess to which it is dedicated. Part temple, part workshop, and part storefront, the temple is still bustling with activity even when services are not being held, as various acolytes of the temple work with different devices. You pass by the table where an initiate is offering to sell various scrolls and mechanical trinkets (although you can come back there if you choose, of course) and spot Joram at work in the temple, helping a young acolyte who is assembling some kind of clockwork device. As you approach, the acolyte winds up the device, which appears to be a spherical body designed to walk on four spindly, spider-like legs. It whirs for a moment before flying apart in a shower of gears. Joram helps the embarrassed young man gather up the parts, giving him advice on how to refine the design as you approach. When he sees you, he gives a warm smile. "Ah, welcome!" he calls out to you. Like Dolga, he is rather elderly, though for a human that doesn't mean as much as it does for a dwarf. His face is lined and his hair white and thinning, though his hands appear strong. He is wearing a heavy apron and gloves, much like many of the other priests and acolytes working around him. He recognizes a couple of you. "Ciyradyl, good to see you! And you two as well, Gherrion and Tamriel, is it? I'm afraid I don't know your names, though I'm aware the two of you work with Khonnir. What can I do for you today?"
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-02-03 at 10:07 AM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

"I take it you are Joram, is that right?" the paladin asks as she steps forward. She offers the man her hand to shake, giving him a warm smile. "I am Mithian, paladin of Sarenrae. I'm sorry to say I haven't met you before - I haven't been in this temple very much," she explains. She looks to the rest of the group, before back to the technician. "I certainly hope... whatever that is goes well," she says, watching the machine spark. "I have to say, this is the second of a creature like that I've seen today. Khonnir had something like a mechanical spider in his workshop. It... animated, and now lays in pieces. You still might want to take a look at it, however," she suggests.

But then, she remembers why they were here in the first place. "We're going after the wizard, sir," she says. "Dolga said you might be able to assist us with a spell of water breathing? I don't know that we're ready to go right now, but perhaps if you could meet us down by the lake in, say, an hour's time?" She looks once again to the party. "Will an hour be long enough?"
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Joram perks up a bit. "Ah, yes, of course! There are..." he does a quick headcount. "Six of you?" he pauses, looking at Aegis. "Ciyradyl, does your companion need to breathe? I can never remember what he requires." He does a bit of math in his head. "If Aegis does not require the spell, it should last you all... four hours, I believe. Bit short, I'm afraid, but it's as long as I can manage. I'm willing to cast it as many times as you need to find Khonnir, though I can only do so twice a day." He pauses for a moment. "Also... the group that went in just before Khonnir's second trip... they were from out of town, but were fellow worshipers of Brigh. They also haven't been heard from since going under. If you could find out what happened to them, I would be appreciative."
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

7. - Top - End - #67

Flumph

Meiling

Meiling listens to the man and bows slightly when he talks with the group. "Pleased to meet you, Joram. My name's Song Meiling. I worked at the Foundry with my friend Liari before Khonnir disappeared." She says, pointing out to Liari. She listens to the man talk about the spell before doing her own considerations on the matter.

"Hum, I don't know much about magic so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but - does the spell works for four effective hours, or just four hours in general? Like, can we stay four hours total underwater, even if it takes a full day to reach the four hours total?" Meiling looks around, trying to assert if her question was appropriate or not. "Sorry if I'm not making myself clear enough. And another question - a simpler one this time: This other group, how many people were in it? And what were they like, physically?"
    Last edited by Taya; 2018-02-05 at 03:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

RedKnightGirl

"He does actually require to breathe..but he has the constitution to do without it I think." Ciyradyl says as she glances at Aegis; whom doesn't seem to want to argue the point.
    "Of course I will keep an eye out for a fellow follower. I just hope it's not the water that got them" she says with a bit of hopefulness of not having to spend to much time under water.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Four hours from when I cast the spell, not four hours spent underwater, I'm afraid. As for the other group, there were four, three humans and a half-elf. Two of the humans were women, the others were men. They were traveling on temple business, so they were dressed as travelling priests of Brigh, with armor adorned by holy symbols and carrying light hammers, as is customary." At Ciyradyl's response he furrows his brow a bit. "I can include your companion, but it will shorten the spell's duration. I'm not sure how far a swim it is, personally. If you wish I can cast the spell on the lot of you at first, and should you wish, later exclude the ones for which it isn't necessary in future castings. In any case, I should be done here in an hour," he says, indicating the acolyte still sheepishly gathering gears and springs. "I will meet you by the Weeping Pond then."
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-02-05 at 05:22 PM.

-----

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

"Thank you, sir. We will bear that in mind for the future,"
    Mithian says, giving the man a short nod before looking back to the others. "Shall we stop by the market for anything? Or I could show you the way to my house. It's down past the market district, near a few of the smithies," she explains. "It's not much, a box house with a cellar, but things will keep for quite a long time down there," she says.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Liari Sparklight
    Show

Liari gave a little pout as she was told there were no maps available. Granted, it was hardly a necessity, but knowing where Khonnir had already been would have given them a reasonable idea of where to start searching and potentially a bit of forewarning of the dangers they might encounter. "Oh well...I guess we'll just have to make do without for now."

The semi heated conversation next to her surprised her a little so while their visit with Dolga was winding down she kept an eye on the two of them just the way Meiling taught her to. She was pretty sure things would get as out of hand as they could in the Foundry when this sort of thing happened, but best to be cautious all the same. Thankfully they seemed to calm down fairly quickly, though if their respective tones were any indication this probably wouldn't be the only time they butted heads.

She gave Dolga a little wave as they were more or less dismissed by the dwarven woman, and turned to follow everyone over to the temple. Although she hadn't really had much cause to come to the temple before, Liari resolved to come by again at some point if only for curiosity's sake given the sheer variety of things going on as they entered. There wasn't much time to look around though as they soon found the very man they were looking for. Her plans to simply let the others do the talking this time around came apart rather quickly as she was greeted directly, if not quite by name which was a bit of a surprise to her. Taking a closer look at the man though, she was pretty sure she'd seen him a time or two at the Foundry so she supposed it was no surprise he recognized her.

Not wanting to be rude, she gave the man a small smile and a bit of a wave when Meiling introduced the pair of them, giving a quiet, "Nice to meet you..." The conversation moved on from introductions rather quickly, so she merely listened attentively, filing away the description of the second group to go down after Khonnir for later. While she didn't really put her faith in one god or another, she was rather hoping that this "Brigh" was watching out for her followers and they'd find them alive, though probably injured, somewhere along the way.

She shook her head as the group left and the suggestion was made to go to the market for some last minute shopping, "I should have everything I need on me." Having been as late as she was to the initial meeting she'd have been a little embarrassed if she didn't have what she needed, but the horns she'd spent so long filling would keep her powder dry and she had a waterproof bag of her own to keep her spellbook and gun in for the swim down there. A swim she was reeeeally not looking forward to given how grubby the water was on a good day. She glanced down at her coat and frowned a bit. "Though, ah, maybe I should leave my coat behind if we're going into the water...unless someone knows a spell to clean us off afterwards." She liked her coat. It was one of the few things she'd woken up with six years ago outside of Torch and it felt somehow...important to her. Though she wasn't sure why. Probably just a bit of leftover emotion from whoever she had been previously if such a thing were possible. But still...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

Mithian gives the others a nod as they discuss going to the market, and once they have finished talking with Joram, she leads the way out to the market district. It's on the way to her house, regardless, and they meander around the stalls to pick up any last minute supplies. All told, it takes them about half an hour to get through the market with their purchases in tow - thank goodness it's not hard to keep track of everyone when they all have just figured out that sticking close to or looking for Aegis is the best way to keep together. Mithian doesn't end up purchasing anything for herself, she's already lugging around quite a bit and while she considers the merits of buying something like a mule to carry her spare gear... well, then again, it isn't like a mule would want to walk into a lake. So that idea doesn't last for very long.

Once the group is done with their purchases, Mithian leads them down the street, across a back alley, and to a quieter part of town that seems out of the way, even though it's only a stone's throw from the market square. There is the cling-clanging of a forge somewhere down the street as a smith works some steel, but Mithian doesn't pay it much mind as she walks up to a small but homey looking house, takes a key from her bag, and opens up the door.

"Here's the place,"
    she tells the others, motioning them inside. "Anything you need to drop off, feel free... anywhere you like. I do try to keep it tidy but I'm sure you'll be back to pick your own things up," she says, a bit of humor in her voice.

Spoiler: Mithian's House
    Show
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-02-05 at 08:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Tamreil had stayed quite when they had spoken to Joram, the man had said they only had a few hours time after he cast the spell before it wore off and He was worried about what may happen to them if such a thing happened while down in the Cavern. He ran scenarios in his head of ways that they could get back if the spell wore off. Each time idea did not bode well for them, it would be difficult to do but hopefully it wouldn't come to that. As they left and went to the market, Tamreil immediately set off to purchase the few items he wanted, a Wet suit would help a bit in the water and would allow him to keep his clothes dry in a waterproof bag. Two more waterproof bags to hold the items that he would bring with him so that nothing got drenched or ruined by the unfiltered water they would be swimming through. Having purchased his items he regrouped with the rest of the party, it was very easy to find them since Aegis stuck out in the markets. Following Mithian to her home he was happy to see that the place was not run down and appeared to be fairly well maintained. As he entered the house he found an empty corner to place the myriad of items that he would not need to bring with him. Setting down his backpack he began removing items from it transferring them into one of the newly acquired waterproof bags that he had purchased. Next he removed his Bandoliers, easily slipping the the thick leather over his head he carefully placed them in another of the waterproof bags he had purchased. Finally he removed the sash he had been wearing around his waist, opening several of the satchels that hung from it making sure that nothing would be damaged in case water did get inside, as he put the sash into another bag he looked over at Mithian. "Again I do that you for letting us store our stuff here, a lot of the items I carry would not survive a dip in the water so it is much appreciated. I think everything I need is now in a waterproof bag, but I do need to change into the Wet Suit that I purchased, which room can I use to change?"
    Last edited by forg99rules; 2018-02-06 at 06:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

"The room right there should work, I would think,"
    Mithian responds to the spellcaster, pointing to the door that leads to her bedroom. Sure, maybe it was a bit personal, but there aren't many other rooms in the house and it is the closest. Besides, Mithian keeps a pretty tidy house, and she hasn't left out anything embarrassing.

15. - Top - End - #75

Flumph

Meiling

Meiling considers the situation, and realizes that maybe it's better to not soil her favorite set of clothing. "You know what? I'm going to get a change of clothes. Liari, do you want one too?" She asks her friend. After the answer, she goes, coming back with her favorite set of clothing in her waterskin, and wearing one of her set of dancing clothes.

"It was difficult choosing something to go with, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do huh." She says. While it wasn't clear before as she was using long pants, this time with the dress it's very clear that she wrapped ropes and bandages around her feet and lower leg, which normally hurts the wearer a lot as well, hitting something with wet bandages and ropes in contact with skin.
    Last edited by Taya; 2018-02-06 at 08:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

"Awesome, thanks will just be a moment then." Stepping into the room Tamreil realizes immediately that this is Mithian's bedroom, he is a bit shocked that she would send him to this room to change, but quickly recovers and strips down to put on his wet suit. Having donned the wet suit Tamreil takes a look at how it fits, the wet suit is very snug to his body and leaves very little to anyone's imagination, feeling a bit embarrassed he puts his pants back on and determines that he will remove them ones its time for the swim. Picking up the chain shirt he had been wearing he jangles it a bit infront of him and then decides to put it on as well. "One can't be to careful, no telling what we will run into once we enter the caverns, don't wanna have to be struggling to either put this thing on or worrying about getting stabbed without it." Having finished what he was doing he takes another look around the room before heading out to join the others. "Thanks again Mithian... oh and umm... Nice bedroom, seems like it would be comfy, though there aren't enough books in there for my liking." Tamreil tosses a wink her way as he finishes his statement about her bedroom.

17. - Top - End - #77

RedKnightGirl

Ciradyl & Aegis sit outside of Mithian's house waiting on the others to ready themselves. Already putting her gear into the over-sized waterproof bag, and donning her studded leather armor.
    Getting a little bored, she grabs a rag out from her pack and polishes some of the dust and dirt from the day off aegis so that laters "bath" doesn't push it up into the nooks and crannies of his natural armor.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Show

Liari looked around curiously as she and the others were led through Mithian's house. It really was a nice little home, the sort she might like to have herself one day. Regardless, she shrugged off her coat once they'd been given a place to stow their extra gear, leaving her wearing a rather simple, if somewhat revealing, outfit consisting of a pair of sturdy trousers and a rather plain halter top seemingly designed to show her her flat belly. Now that most of her skin isn't hidden by her coat, the odd circuit-like tattoos common to her race are much more obvious.

She gave Meiling a small smile and shook her head as she made that thoughtful suggestion. "It'll be a little cold without my coat, but I should be alright. Thank you though." While what she was wearing wasn't exactly the most practical of outfits for exploring a series of caverns, it would have to do for now. Once she's taken a few moments to readjust her gear she moves over to wait by the door for everyone else to finish up. Though she did make sure to add a quiet "Thank you for letting us store our things here..." when she had the chance.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

Mithian is currently helping the others sort through their things, assisting them in finding their own corners to put their supplies in, when Tamreil comes out and addresses her. She opens her mouth to respond to his thanks, but when he continues, her words halt. Her hair isn't red, but it seems she still somehow has the capacity to gain a fully-fledged blush on her features at the drop of a hat. As she's been so composed in front of the group thus far, it's probably a strange thing to see - the paladin who has thus far taken charge of the group suddenly turn blushing and awkward. "Oh. Hah. I don't know how to respond to that," she tells Tamreil, before quickly turning away and making sure her own supplies are in order.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Gherrion
    Show

Gherrion had kept quiet, almost sullenly so since his outburst with Tamreil and as the group moved towards the Temple of Brigh he found himself walking slower and slower until he was a good distance behind them. It was surprisingly easy to slink out of their little group, so focused on following Mithian that they didn't even realize they were one man short. He ducked away from the guards and after their recognizing him he knew he'd rather not deal with social interaction right now. Somehow that nosy bastard had gotten him really riled up and he didn't quite know why. That was more annoying than what he'd even said - the effect it was having on Gherrion who generally considered himself pretty even-kiltered. He didn't get angry often and he didn't LIKE getting angry often. He'd also made an ass of himself right in front of a council member - that was going to come back to bite him. So he ditched the newfound group and made sure that wherever they were throughout the rest of that day, he was somewhere else. He went straight for the market to pick up some waterproof bags and a some thin braiding chord and a scroll of prestidigitation, then went home to put away the least important bits of his gear. He also changed into a light tunic and breaches he didn't mind getting wet and put his armor and gear in two waterproof bags he then stuck in his pack. Once he was comfortable enough with his supplies, the gunslinger uncorked the bottle of firewater and took a few swigs while he stared at his wall.

Get your act together, Gherrion. Just some self-righteous kid trying to impress a bunch of women. Not the first time you've dealt with someone like that. You're just gonna be stuck with him for the foreseeable future. Let it go, learn to live with it, with him, and don't let him bother you. He's not worth the effort.

He took about half an hour to sort through his thoughts, put himself into his version of 'zen' oneness or some trite, then took another few swigs and placed the bottle on his nightstand. He then made his way over to the wheeping pond and got himself settled on a rock overlooking the mire.
    Last edited by arcaneshield; 2018-02-09 at 06:47 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gherrion waits for the others at the edge of the Weeping Pond. He has been there for maybe twenty minutes, looking into the brackish water, when Joram approaches. "Ah, Gherrion, good to see you!" he says, and he seems to be genuinely glad to see you. "The others told me you would be coming along." He makes idle small talk for the few minutes it takes the others to arrive.

As the rest of the party make their way to the pond, they see Gherrion and Joram already there. With everything that is susceptible to getting wet safely stowed in waterproof bags, you're ready to head under the caverns. Joram greets the rest of the party warmly. "As I said before, with seven of you, the water breathing spell will last just under four hours. If it's divided between fewer people, it will last longer, but whoever is left out will have to hold their breath. I'll cast it on however many of you feel you need it, but keep in mind, I don't know exactly how far the swim is."

Once you have the spell cast on you, you can swim out on the surface of the pond over toward where the entrance to the caves is--you can't see the entrance from above the water, but Joram can point out at least the general location to you. The water is fairly calm. The difficulty is not in swimming, it will be in making sure you have enough breath to get to the other end.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It is a DC 10 swim check each round to make progress. You can take 10 only if you have the swim skill trained.

A character can hold their breath for 2*CON score rounds, if you take no more than a move action. A standard or full-round action consumes an extra round of breath. With a successful swim check,
    you can move a quarter of your speed as a move action, or half as a full round action. So either way it works out the same--it takes 2 rounds of breath to move 15 feet (or 10 if you're in armor or have a slower movement speed), assuming you make your swim checks. Remember any armor check penalty to swim checks as well, unless you take your armor off.

Let me know how many of you want to have water breathing cast on you. If you do, you can basically take all the time you need--you can just walk along the bottom if you have to. Otherwise,
    we're going to need some swim checks once you get underwater.

-----

22. - Top - End - #82

RedKnightGirl

Ciradyl and Aegis accept the water breathing spell and then dive in, even with the spell, hoping to swim it to make it a bit faster of a process as neither are much for being underwater.

Crystal Flounders off the bat, basically just swimming in a circle while Aegis Moves fowards with a powerful Push. Crystal then gets her bearings and tries to catch up to Aegis but ends up a step behind. She Finally Catches up to him as he ends up floundering a bit also.

They both thank they took the water breathing spell because this isn't seeming to go well sofar.

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show

Ciradyl Swim: 0
    Aegis Swim: +5

Swim Checks Initial:

Ciradyl: Swim Check (1d20)[3] VS DC 10
    Aegis: Swim Check (1d20+5)[10] VS DC 10

Extra Swim Checks (2 Turns)

1:
    Ciradyl: Swim Check (1d20)[18] VS DC 10
    Aegis: Swim Check (1d20+5)[14] VS DC 10

2:
    Ciradyl: Swim Check (1d20)[20] VS DC 10
    Aegis: Swim Check (1d20+5)[7] VS DC 10
    Last edited by CrystalMists; 2018-02-10 at 12:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

Walking along to the lake, Mithian keeps an eye out for Gherrion. It hasn't escaped her notice that the elf has slipped off at some point while they were in the market, but she feels confident that he isn't skipping out on their mission. He likely just had something he needed to attend to, and rather than slowing the group down, he'd gone to take care of it on his own. She is nonetheless relieved when she catches sight of the elf down by the lake. She offers him a smile and a wave before looking to Joram. "...I can hold my breath for quite a while, a little bit over a minute... but without knowing how far the entrance to the lake is, perhaps I should take part in the spell, too," she decides. "And that way, I can also keep on my armor, in case something foul should come out of the depths. If we find out there isn't much down there to worry about, and the entrance isn't too far, then perhaps next time we venture down I won't take it - that way we will be able to go farther along." That said, once she has taken the spell, she doesn't really attempt to swim, but rather just marches into the lake, pack sealed tightly in waterproof bags and scimitar and shield out as she wades in to the water.

Spoiler: Might not be the wisest thing to do...
    Show
    But here we go, swimming with armor on! I will be so ready if there's a monster in that lake!

She's going to be walking unless she needs to make a swim check for something (currents, something grabbing her foot, i.e.) so just in case, here it is...

(1d20-2)[10]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Show

"Um, I'll take the spell please. I'm, ah, not really all that good at swimming..."Once she'd made sure that her gun, spell components, and spellbook were in her waterproof bag, she patiently waited her turn to have the waterbreathing spell cast on her. She knew full well she wasn't much of an athlete in general, so she fully intended to just follow Mithian's example and walk along the bottom of the lake. Now she thought about it, it was actually a little embarrassing being as out of shape as she was compared to just about everyone else in the group.

Show

She'll take the spell and just walk along the bottom otherwise we'll be here all day with me making swim checks with my -1 modifier
    Last edited by Raspberyl; 2018-02-11 at 11:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Flumph

Meiling

The girl stretches herself a bit before going in the water. "I'll take the spell. I probably can hold my breath for a while, but I'm really not going to risk it."

She accepts the spell, takes a sip of her sake before putting it back in the waterskin and making sure that her booze is well protected, and jumps in the water.

Spoiler: Rolls and OOC
    Show
    I'm pretty sure Excelsior said that swim checks aren't really necessary if we're using the spell, but since everyone's rolling, why not. Let's see if I can get to the end first

Swim: (1d20+3)[19]
    Last edited by Taya; 2018-02-12 at 06:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Gherrion had been able to find his center once more and flush the annoyance out of his system so when an old friend of his came to see him on his little rock he flashed a genuine smile. They talked of gadgets and gizmos and gunpowder and where Gherrion's knowledge failed, he allowed the priest of Brigh to ramble on, giving him a soundboard to talk of the marvels he and his priesthood had been toying with. The old man looked like a weathered leatherback turtle but he had a spring in his step and youthful exuberance. And this man was considered old by his people's standards yet was barely half Gherrion's age. That thought came unbidden to his mind and lodged itself there for some time, causing him to drift slightly as the man gushed.

His thoughts jumbled together until the main party arrived and he tipped his hat to them. He was greatful for their arrival - getting back to business would help get him out of the navel gazing. A man could only contemplate such thoughts for so long before he wanted to shoot something. At least that's how Gherrion felt. He flashed Mithian a fairly bright smile back and even gave her a little bow along with the tip of his hat, as she seemed to have taken over as leader she deserved a little respect. Or maybe he just found her presence more tolerable than the rest of the party. Who knew.

"We don't know what we're dealing with, and we don't know how long the journey is, so I suggest we all take the waterbreathing, figure out how long it takes for the slowest of us to break the surface, and then make sure we don't go too far in that we can't get back out again."

Gherrion then slipped out of his jacket and hat, revealing a lithe, muscled frame in tight leather breaches and tunic. His hat and jacket joined his armor in the waterproof bags and he took that cord he'd purchased, tied back his hair into a ponytail and dove headfirst into the water.

Spoiler: Rolls Because Why Not
    Show

While its not mandatory, I'll see how well he swims. He's taken off his armor so no check penalty.

(1d20+1)[17]

Additional Rolls:
    (1d20+1)[13]
    (1d20+1)[19]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Tamreil had never been much of a swimmer, luckily they were gonna have water breathing cast on them so he was not to worried about drowning. His only real worry though was if the spell would last long enough for them to find those that got lost. As they neared the lake he noticed that Gherrion had already shown up, "Funny I don't remember seeing his vanish earlier, oh well at least he is still here.". Having made it to the lake he listens to everyone's conversations and watches as others take the spell and start swimming, waiting for his turn he begins taking off his armor and stowing it inside one of the bags, "No need to let this thing restrict my movements." Seeing that its finally his turn he steps up to Joram, "I will be needing the spell as well, hopefully we wont take to long and are back before its up. We will seek you out should we need it again." having gotten the spell cast on him he turns towards the water and jumps in, the sudden cold sends a shiver down his spine before he begins swimming after the others towards the Cavern entrance.

Show

Swim checks... rolling a bunch for use in whatever order.
    (1d20+3)[12]
    (1d20+3)[18]
    (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d20+3)[18]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Water Breathing
    Show
    ~205 minutes remaining

You manage to find an underwater channel and make your way along it, some more gracefully than others. Soon, the channel turns upwards, and you see that there is a pocket of air above you. When you break the surface, you can see a slick, stone bank off to the right, to the east, leading deeper into the caverns. The air is damp and heavy and the walls are wet with condensation. The water continues ahead a bit before turning eastward and passing out of sight. There is no sign of any movement in the immediate area as you stand waist-deep in the water, nor any sound from deeper in the caves save the slight gurgling of the underground stream or dripping water from the ceiling. A few of you feel a bit queasy at being immersed in the brackish water. You may go onto the dry land to your right, or continue further to see where the water leads.

Show
    Still need a fort save from Tamriel.

The channel was about a 45 foot swim from when you had to submerge. So without armor and passing every swim check, it would take 6 rounds worth of breath to make the swim.

-----

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Mithian

Mithian takes a few deep breaths when she breaks the surface of the water, regardless of the fact that she'd had water breathing cast on her. It just seems like the natural thing to do, even though she's not gasping for breath, to rake in a deep lungful when she reaches the surface. She takes a good look around the passage they've stumbled in to, and when she finds it empty, she sheathes her scimitar and starts the process of wringing out her dark hair. "Well?" she asks the others as she moves towards the chamber they've found. "Shall we see where this goes?"

She's just assuming that the others have no trouble seeing in the dark as she does. Having always been able to, she doesn't think it odd. Once she's waded out of the water and fully onto the land, she takes a moment to reach into her waterproof bag and take out a large cloth, setting to wiping down her armor and weapon as the others ready themselves, as well.

"We can surely enough see that this is the way ahead," she says. "So this is the way that I think the expedition before us would have gone. But if you all would prefer to check the underwater route," she says, indicating the other tunnel through the underground lake, "I would be happy to do so, as well." Once she's done drying her gear, she stands up and moves back to the water's edge. It's only then that she notices some of her fellow party members look a little sick to their stomachs. "Is everyone feeling well?" she asks, concern edging into her tone. "Come on, out of the water," she encourages.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Gherrion alongside the other strong, or in his case lucky swimmers came up out of the water first into deep, all-encompassing darkness. Gherrion's elven eyes could see better than a human's under the minute light of the moon but underground in this cavern with no light source he was like a babe floundering in the water. He doggy-paddled his way towards what he hoped was the edge of the cavern, listening intently for sounds of any living being. He hoped he could discern the floundering of his allies from those of a potential foe.

Spoiler: Perception Roll
    Show
    (1d20+1)[21]

When he finally found his way to the stone embankment he tried not to cut his bare feet on the rocks and lifted himself up out of the water, sprawling, gasping for air. He knew he could breath underwater but taking natural air, even musty cavern air, was a treat his body had been begging for. When he'd settled himself he slipped the backpack out of his arms, fished out a torch and very carefully lit it with the flint and tinder he'd stashed in his wet bag. He took his time, lest he drop something and when the room was finally brought into the dull light of his torch he looked to the armored figure striding out of the water with purpose. She seemed to have known where she was going even without the torchlight and he wondered just what exactly she was that gave her these abilities. Perhaps when Khonnir was returned they might discuss such things.

"Hold your horses lass, some of us have some gear to put right again. Mind holding my torch for me while I change?" He asked as he started to pull his hat, jacket, and armor from another of his bags. He waved the torch in her direction, seeing if she might take hold of it once she was dry...er.
    Show