New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Hunter World: Gotta Kill 'Em All

I've never played any of these games, but I've heard a thing or two about this new one and it sounds pretty rad-- rad enough to maybe buy it used once prices fall reasonably. I'm curious, though, as to just how deep the RPG elements go: is it similar to, say, a Bioware game, with chosen dialogue and character decisions that impact the narrative?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Nope you're a silent protagonist whose actions drive the plot but those actions are all decided by other people and you have no choice in the matter.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

It is entirely possible that we are using different meanings of expy. They did do a good job of making them feel related (as they are the only fanged wyverns to my knowledge) but not the same.

I don't think they'll add plesioth, there aren't any deep enough Waters in the ancient forest. Ludroths and lagiacrus though, those I could see. I'll second narg and tigrex, they would be amazing with their old move set, and if they updated it like they did with the raths (haven't fought a Barroth in any other game), then they'd be downright spectacular.

I don't know what you mean by Frat. Is that another name for Fatalis? I would really like another hunt like Dahren moh'ran, I have a weakness for David v. Goliath fights.

I agree that pld world bird wyverns aren't going to show up, their roles are already well filled.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I've never played any of these games, but I've heard a thing or two about this new one and it sounds pretty rad-- rad enough to maybe buy it used once prices fall reasonably. I'm curious, though, as to just how deep the RPG elements go: is it similar to, say, a Bioware game, with chosen dialogue and character decisions that impact the narrative?
    From what little I've played, it's not really an RPG at all. It's an action game with a paper-thin plot which is just an excuse to kill giant monsters and use their dead bodies to make rad weapons so you can kill more giant monsters.

Which is exactly what I'm looking for, at the moment.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

5. - Top - End - #35

PirateGuy

The Barroth chest armor piece makes me look like the Agro Crag from GUTS. It's delightful and horrible all at once.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    It has to be limping to be cought, traping them while sleeping is the easiest way but they dont need to be. While trapped SPAM tranq bombs. Make sure you bring both a shock trap and a pit trap just in case.

The way the tranq effect works seems to be linked to the sleep effect meter, so multiple bombs or tranq shots stack and you have a better chance of filling the meter and capturing.
    Though I've admittedly not had a ton of opportunities yet, I've seen them shake off traps and multiple tranqs while limping, so limping can't be enough in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    If you want to capture a monster get it's tracking meter to level 3 this will then show different Icons next to the monster on the mini map most of these are just hungry or thirsty so not particularly useful, however once you've weakened it enough the icon will change to a skull that means you can catch it at this point. Get it in a pitfall or shock trap (I haven't had any issues using either trap on any monster) then stand in front of its face and hit it with two tranq bombs which will complete the mission. All hunt quests can be finished by capturing as well if you want, it's only if the mission specifies slay that you have to kill the monster.

If you do that you should be able to capture without issue.

Also if you get the chance try and be around the hub town at dawn it's actually beautiful
    Okay, so there's a symbol on the mini map that essentially means "ready to capture" as long as your tracking meter is high enough? I'll have to look more deeply into that.

Thanks for the responses!

7. - Top - End - #37

So, more experienced players - which items do you find yourself using all the time?

Which seem to be mostly useless?

Which should we stockpile?

Which should we just sell off?

What slinger ammo do you get the most mileage out of?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I personally never sell off anything except materials I have far too much of. All consumables are useful at least situationally.

I feel like you don't need to stockpile too much, cuz you can autocraft stuff on the hunt. Maybe honey/megapotions, as they're a bit rarer. Flash, screamer and dung pods too, for the same reasons.

Speaking of, I think flash pods are my favorite slinger ammo, perfect for making a quick getaway, or for creating an opening for you to really lay on the hurt, they're very versatile.

I'm going to practice more with the other two. Dung pods are used for driving a monster away, great for when a rathalos shows up, and your quarry won't leave. Screamer pods I've found can be used to lure a Diablos up from its lair in the wildspire wastes, and they should also be able to stun monsters that are sensitive to sounds (don't know what those might be yet though).

These are just my opinions, of course, I haven't been able to devote as much time to this game as I would like. Someone with more experience may need to correct or expand on what I've written.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-02-01 at 08:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Devil

Sleep herbs
    Thunderbugs
    Parashrooms
    Ivy
    Spider web

These are the materials i stockpile, theyre used to make traps and tranq bombs
    Last edited by chainer1216; 2018-02-02 at 12:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Next noob question! (I've had the game a few days but not a lot of time to play.)

I assume that after the first few quests, you're eventually rid of the NPCs yelling enthusiastically about where you should go next? I'm looking forward to *actually* being allowed to wander the wilderness on my own, without being bombarded by cheerful suggestions.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Next noob question! (I've had the game a few days but not a lot of time to play.)

I assume that after the first few quests, you're eventually rid of the NPCs yelling enthusiastically about where you should go next? I'm looking forward to *actually* being allowed to wander the wilderness on my own, without being bombarded by cheerful suggestions.
    Yea you are on your own for hunts after the first few apart from your cat, if you do want to just look around rather than getting a mission go to the gate and select expedition and you can just free roam with no time limit.

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateGuy

After getting some use out of Tranq Knives the other night, I'm now much more interested in seeing what kind of additional tools I want to mess with.

Also, Jagra Charge Blade looks dope.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I've played and seen this is a great game
    Everyone watch any movies, TV Show and anime with multiple subtitles at http://moviesonline.ac

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Has anyone figured out how to check weather before you go on an expedition? I'm trying to catch some of the rare endemic life and it's kind of annoying having to load and reload.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I know there is a food skill that makes bad weather more likely (felyne weathercat I think). It might also be a factor of time? Wait long enough in an expedition and it'll happen?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've got them all now, I found out you can actually swap from one expedition straight into another by using the world map so that saved alot of time going back to astrea.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Others have already got covered that world is not really an RPG but there is a Monster Hunter game on the 3DS which is an RPG called Monster Hunter Stories. I haven't played it though so I couldn't tell you how good of an RPG it is.

World is my first Monster Hunter game, and the guy and I are enjoying it pretty well so far, he's gone down into the Rotten Vale, and I just finished hunting that horrible bat thing. I've been favoring the insect glaive, and he the Charge Sword? (The thing that uses vials and turns into a giant ridiculous Ax).

We're on the PS4 if anyone wants to squad up or anything. Though we're still a little fuzzy on getting multiplayer to work efficiently, you'd think for a game that's practically build around multiplayer it'd have better systems in place for it....

18. - Top - End - #48

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Others have already got covered that world is not really an RPG but there is a Monster Hunter game on the 3DS which is an RPG called Monster Hunter Stories. I haven't played it though so I couldn't tell you how good of an RPG it is.
    I've played a chunk of Stories. It's a good game, in my opinion, Pokemon by way of Monster Hunter, you collect and hatch eggs into Monsties (Monster Besties) and the fight alongside them. It's not really a Western RPG like Comrade is hoping for. It's a cel-shaded more chibi-styled (except the monsters) JRPG with an almost silent protagonist, most of the talking being done by your Felyne tag along. Lot of customization involved to modify a Monstie's stats and swap their genes and powers, you can even change their Element, to have, say, a Fire Barrioth or a Lightning Rathian.

Honestly the worst thing it does for the amount I've played it is force you to keep the Special Story Rathalos taking up a slot in your party, and also doesn't let you nickname it.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

19. - Top - End - #49

Okay, there is officially WAY too much going on in this game for a man of small brain and little time. I'm experiencing sensory overload just from the UI.

However, I think I've narrowed things down to the *essentials* - which is that I want the most powerful Dual Blades you can get, because you chop-chop very fast and I don't want to spend three hours or whatever killing the big big guys.

Looking at the build and upgrade tree for weapons, I notice that for most of them, the materials you need are A MYSTERY. How do you unlock this forbidden knowledge? Or should I just cheat and look at the wiki.

And given that you see how much damage you're doing, but NOT how much health the beast has, how on earth do you judge whether you have a powerful enough weapon for any given fight?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Okay, there is officially WAY too much going on in this game for a man of small brain and little time. I'm experiencing sensory overload just from the UI.

However, I think I've narrowed things down to the *essentials* - which is that I want the most powerful Dual Blades you can get, because you chop-chop very fast and I don't want to spend three hours or whatever killing the big big guys.

Looking at the build and upgrade tree for weapons, I notice that for most of them, the materials you need are A MYSTERY. How do you unlock this forbidden knowledge? Or should I just cheat and look at the wiki.

And given that you see how much damage you're doing, but NOT how much health the beast has, how on earth do you judge whether you have a powerful enough weapon for any given fight?
    You unlock what you need for weapon upgrade when you get the materials needed, which is less of a problem when the game encourages you to hunt every monster in the map.
    Generally speaking when the game makes you hunt a monster you should use the materials of your previous hunt(s) to make a weapon. That way you're more or less on level.
    You could also use weapon rarity: the first hunts you can do with starting weapons, up to rarity 2; the middle-sized monsters are best hunted with rarity 3 weapons and the biggest want rarity 4. This applies for the first 2 areas.

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateGuy

The Anjananth shouldn't be as stealthy as it is. That dude has snuck up on me around 5 times already and wrecked my face.

It is a true 'OH #$@^" moment when you turn the corner and see a giant purple T-Rex, coming to ruin your day.

Something I'm finding that I really enjoy about the game is that you don't really know if you're capable of taking on a monster until you take on that monster. I have yet to fight the aforementioned Anjananth, but I won't know if I can beat it until I square up and face it.

I also need to get over my hoarder mentality and actually use my Armor Spheres...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

For the most part, "get the most powerful Dual Blades and always use those" is an okay plan. There are a couple caveats, though (apologies if you know this already):

1. all melee weapons dull over time, decreasing your damage. There's a little gauge near the top left in among all the other stuff that starts green, then turns yellow and red, which will let you know when your weapon is getting dull. You can fix this with your Whetstone, which is in your item back. Just select it and use your item button (square on PS4). It'll take a few seconds, so don't try to do it when a monster is bearing down on you. You'll need to do this periodically on the hunt.

2. Eventually you'll start having monsters with different elemental resistances, which you can exploit by bringing something they're weak to. You also have to watch out that you don't bring a weapon they're resistant or immune to, because then you won't be doing anything against them.

So what I'd recommend is having 2 or 3 of the best you can make of different elements, and just take the best one of the element you need, or the best overall one if there isn't a specific element that's better against whatever you're hunting.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So has anyone done much with the Arena? (The arena in the gathering hub not the one for Special missions)

I've given it afew goes but it really seems like it was designed for multiple players to take advantage of the different weapons and with it being completely separate from the rest of the game it doesn't seem to attract many players.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Question for the experts regarding armor skills: how do you improve them? For example, say I use the early level gloves with Stealth on them. It's tier 1 of three tiers. Does this mean I can get to tier 2 by dropping armor spheres on it? Or will I get recipes later on for gear with higher tiers of stealth?

Other, less critical question: is the insect glaive as useful as it seems? It's got an impressive arsenal of aerial maneuverability and a summon, as well as a fairly rapid attack. So far I've tried the dual blades and the charge blade outside of the training grounds. Charge blade was simply too much to keep track of (the phials actually damage your dps if you ignore them, so you've got to juggle health, stamina, durability, form, and phials all at the same time) and it just wasn't worth the frustration. Dual blades are fun, but too committal - as in you easily get roped into long streams strings of attacks you can't cancel.

One last question: is there a way to increase weapon durability (or an upgrade path with higher durability)? Weapons degrade to useless far too quickly and you can only equip one at a time. It takes some of the fun out of it when a weapon doesn't even last a single monster, ya know? Didn't like it in Breath of the Wild, either, but that one at least let you keep a backup or six.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Question for the experts regarding armor skills: how do you improve them? For example, say I use the early level gloves with Stealth on them. It's tier 1 of three tiers. Does this mean I can get to tier 2 by dropping armor spheres on it? Or will I get recipes later on for gear with higher tiers of stealth?
    later on you get highrank armor that may add a skill point. You can also use charms and decorations to boost a skill. Dont be afraid to mix armor sets!

Other, less critical question: is the insect glaive as useful as it seems? It's got an impressive arsenal of aerial maneuverability and a summon, as well as a fairly rapid attack. So far I've tried the dual blades and the charge blade outside of the training grounds. Charge blade was simply too much to keep track of (the phials actually damage your dps if you ignore them, so you've got to juggle health, stamina, durability, form, and phials all at the same time) and it just wasn't worth the frustration. Dual blades are fun, but too committal - as in you easily get roped into long streams strings of attacks you can't cancel.
    All wepons are useful in this game. Tbh if you dont like charge blade, stay away from Insect glaive.
    One last question: is there a way to increase weapon durability (or an upgrade path with higher durability)? Weapons degrade to useless far too quickly and you can only equip one at a time. It takes some of the fun out of it when a weapon doesn't even last a single monster, ya know? Didn't like it in Breath of the Wild, either, but that one at least let you keep a backup or six.
    The Handicraft skill increases sharpness. But you also need to sharpen your weapon during the hunt, no mater what.

26. - Top - End - #56

PirateGuy

In regards to weapon sharpness, you can also keep an eye on the upgrade trees. One tree may keep your blade in a functional condition for longer, with a smaller Red area, or larger green/yellow areas but it may trade off something like raw damage for it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The gauge on armor shows what "skill points" a piece of armor contributes, to fill up the bar and get the higher effects, you have to equip more armor that gives the same skill.

I'm playing insect glaive now, and I'm enjoying it. In my experience, the best use of it's mobility is to stay above a monster and out of its range of attack. If you want a fairly mobile, hard hitting weapon to end quests quickly, I think hammer would be your best bet.

The only way to upgrade sharpness is to upgrade the weapon. Though you can replenish it in the field with a whetstone (default up one the quick use item wheel).

28. - Top - End - #58

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    You need to manage the sharpness of your weapon by periodically using your Whetstone. Better, more improved weapons will stay sharp longer but finding a couple seconds of respite to sharpen is an integral part of your hunt.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

29. - Top - End - #59

I think I'm getting the hang of this now! Thanks to everyone who's replied to my questions so far.

One mistake I made in the first few hunts was that I would chase the monster in a blind "don't let it get away!" panic as soon as it started to retreat. I've come around to the idea that every big fight is multi-phase, and following the retreating beast is just moving from one phase to the next. You don't have to rush it - just track it patiently, and feel free to gather crafting materials, pick up clues, snare small animals etc. on the way.

Have I got that right?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    You need to manage the sharpness of your weapon by periodically using your Whetstone. Better, more improved weapons will stay sharp longer but finding a couple seconds of respite to sharpen is an integral part of your hunt.
    I get that you use the whetstone to resharpen your weapon. The time between re-sharpening seems excessively small, however. That said, I did find the metal weapons were useful longer. And that the basic sword and shield combine simple mechanics with the ability to use items while the weapon is drawn, which makes it a lot easier when you tend to get flustered in hectic situations as I do.

Two other quick questions: 1) Are you ever able to equip multiple weapons in this game? 2) The poison effect on the Pukei-Pukei tier of weapons, is that pointless or really really good? Poison effects are rarely in between.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.