New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Hunter World: Gotta Kill 'Em All

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I get that you use the whetstone to resharpen your weapon. The time between re-sharpening seems excessively small, however. That said, I did find the metal weapons were useful longer. And that the basic sword and shield combine simple mechanics with the ability to use items while the weapon is drawn, which makes it a lot easier when you tend to get flustered in hectic situations as I do.
    There's perks that augment the gauge or just negate/lessen it. Later in the game sharpness becomes less of a hindrance. But yeah, bone weapons have higher attack, metal are more durable.

Two other quick questions: 1) Are you ever able to equip multiple weapons in this game? 2) The poison effect on the Pukei-Pukei tier of weapons, is that pointless or really really good? Poison effects are rarely in between.[/QUOTE]

1: Negative. Only one weapon equipped at a time, but you can switch at the camp.

2: That depends on a few things, but generally poison is good. Some monsters are resistant to it (the aforementioned pukie), and you really need a faster weapon to stack it. The big slow weapons are usually better just going with an element rather than a status.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    I think I'm getting the hang of this now! Thanks to everyone who's replied to my questions so far.

One mistake I made in the first few hunts was that I would chase the monster in a blind "don't let it get away!" panic as soon as it started to retreat. I've come around to the idea that every big fight is multi-phase, and following the retreating beast is just moving from one phase to the next. You don't have to rush it - just track it patiently, and feel free to gather crafting materials, pick up clues, snare small animals etc. on the way.

Have I got that right?
    I would say you do, or at least that's how I do it now. Panicking and chasing after a monster has gotten me ambushed more times than I'd like to admit. Usually by big nasties like Anjanath.

I've found that when it runs off is he perfect time to sharpen my weapons, heal up, and recollect my cool.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    I would say you do, or at least that's how I do it now. Panicking and chasing after a monster has gotten me ambushed more times than I'd like to admit. Usually by big nasties like Anjanath.

I've found that when it runs off is he perfect time to sharpen my weapons, heal up, and recollect my cool.
    "Ok guys, short rest, catch a breather, check yer buffs, and onwards!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

The gauge on armor shows what "skill points" a piece of armor contributes, to fill up the bar and get the higher effects, you have to equip more armor that gives the same skill.
    I believe this was answered already, but just in case: you don't improve the skill on a piece of armor, you stack multiple instances of it on different armor pieces to reach higher skill levels.

I'm playing insect glaive now, and I'm enjoying it. In my experience, the best use of it's mobility is to stay above a monster and out of its range of attack. If you want a fairly mobile, hard hitting weapon to end quests quickly, I think hammer would be your best bet.
    Insect glaive and hammer are the two weapons I use thus far. Hammer hits like a ton of bricks, but I'm not sure "fairly mobile" is how I would describe it. You have a wonderful running attack, but it charges up and at full power you end up spinning more or less in place for multiple hits (or misses, as the case may be). Most of the hammer's other combos benefit from striking the same area multiple times, and don't work so well against mobile opponents. I definitely have more to learn with both weapons, but I find hammer to be easier to pick up and also more limiting than insect glaive.

One mistake I made in the first few hunts was that I would chase the monster in a blind "don't let it get away!" panic as soon as it started to retreat. I've come around to the idea that every big fight is multi-phase, and following the retreating beast is just moving from one phase to the next. You don't have to rush it - just track it patiently, and feel free to gather crafting materials, pick up clues, snare small animals etc. on the way.

Have I got that right?
    Sounds right to me. The only caveat I'd add is that certain monsters, particularly flying ones, are harder to track down than others, and some will take off pretty quickly and pretty often after you encounter them. 50 minutes is a generous amount of time and generally more than enough to end a hunt, especially in a group, but I have had at least one occasion where things came right down to the wire: a Paolumu hunt that finished with about 35 seconds left on the clock because he kept fleeing back and forth across the map, and there were only two of us on the hunt (though admittedly, we wasted a few minutes fighting Shamos and one of the other large monsters in the area).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Insect glaive and hammer are the two weapons I use thus far. Hammer hits like a ton of bricks, but I'm not sure "fairly mobile" is how I would describe it. You have a wonderful running attack, but it charges up and at full power you end up spinning more or less in place for multiple hits (or misses, as the case may be). Most of the hammer's other combos benefit from striking the same area multiple times, and don't work so well against mobile opponents. I definitely have more to learn with both weapons, but I find hammer to be easier to pick up and also more limiting than insect glaive.
    Sorry, I was comparing it to the great sword, which has a much slower walking speed while drawn, plus can't move while charging (can't remember if you can evade or not).

Also I was drawing on my hammer experience from the handhelds, so it might play differently than I am used to.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

I get that you use the whetstone to resharpen your weapon. The time between re-sharpening seems excessively small, however. That said, I did find the metal weapons were useful longer. And that the basic sword and shield combine simple mechanics with the ability to use items while the weapon is drawn, which makes it a lot easier when you tend to get flustered in hectic situations as I do.

Two other quick questions: 1) Are you ever able to equip multiple weapons in this game? 2) The poison effect on the Pukei-Pukei tier of weapons, is that pointless or really really good? Poison effects are rarely in between.
    From what I’ve been reading Poison produces good damage, but has a drawback in that that damage isn’t going into breaking or severing monster bits.

The last MH game I played seriously was Tri on the Wii, so I’m just enjoying the mobility of the Insect Glaive and the luxury of an infinite Whetstone (I’m not far enough in to know if that changes). In the old world we had to scrounge whetstones and whetfish from the environment, like animals. And we liked it!
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2018-02-06 at 05:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    From what I’ve been reading Poison produces good damage, but has a drawback in that that damage isn’t going into breaking or severing monster bits.

The last MH game I played seriously was Tri on the Wii, so I’m just enjoying the mobility of the Insect Glaive and the luxury of an infinite Whetstone (I’m not far enough in to know if that changes). In the old world we had to scrounge whetstones and whetfish from the environment, like animals. And we liked it!
    Not having to gather whetstones, pickaxes, nets, fishing tools, et al, is such a nice little quality of life upgrade.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I was comparing it to the great sword, which has a much slower walking speed while drawn, plus can't move while charging (can't remember if you can evade or not).

Also I was drawing on my hammer experience from the handhelds, so it might play differently than I am used to.
    Ah, okay. I tried the greatsword once during the beta, but it felt like I was swinging through molasses so I stopped. Compared to that, the hammer is faster, but it still feels a long way away from the insect glaive, dual blades, or other speedy weapons. Since this is my first MH game, I can't say how any of it compares to previous games.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

The secret to using a greatsword properly is the Quick Sheath skill.

No, really, using the greatsword relies a lot on sheathing anytime you need to move and making good use of the draw attacks, to compensate for the low mobility. The rest of it is learning to predict monsters in order to land your charged attacks

Also, don't be afraid to roll to the side to cancel a charge or recovery animation.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post

No, really, using the greatsword relies a lot on sheathing anytime you need to move and making good use of the draw attacks, to compensate for the low mobility. The rest of it is learning to predict monsters in order to land your charged attacks

Also, don't be afraid to roll to the side to cancel a charge or recovery animation.
    So the secret to fighting with a greatsword is Iaido.

Playing the game a bit more, I find I really like the insect glaive. I'm certainly not using it to its fullest, but the speed, the area of effect, the aerial maneuverability, and the bug acting as both secondary minor damage source and source of healing all adds up to being a pretty satisfying weapon. Also, the aerial game reminds me of RWBY, which just adds that much more charm to the mix.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post

You can also shoulder check during a charge to cancel into a higher level charge.

12. - Top - End - #72

*rather likes the look of the Charge Blade*

*checks out the page on the wiki*

"The most complicated melee weapon in the game, the Charge Blade..."

I've been enjoying the (almost) mindless button-mashing you can get away with as a Dual Blades user!

Any Charge Blade veterans with advice for novices?
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*rather likes the look of the Charge Blade*

*checks out the page on the wiki*

"The most complicated melee weapon in the game, the Charge Blade..."

I've been enjoying the (almost) mindless button-mashing you can get away with as a Dual Blades user!

Any Charge Blade veterans with advice for novices?
    Charge Blade is powerful, but complicated doesn't begin to describe it. You fight in sword mode to build up energy, use that energy to charge up phials, switch to axe mode, then use axe mode to expend those phials to empower attacks before returning to sword mode to start the cycle over.

If your energy buildup turns red, your weapon starts overheating and becomes useless until you charge the phials.

Also, worth noting is if you hit triangle while charging the phials, you can charge the weapon in general, giving the phial bonus to all attacks for a while (including sword form).

So, fighting with the charge blade revolves around dancing between several factors: health, sharpness, and combat as usual, but also energy, phials, and weapon form as well. And you can't ignore it, sticking in one form results in overheating and uselessness, even if your phials are already full. It's awesome looking and powerful, but only even remotely effective if you dance between the modes.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #74

PirateGuy

Charge Blade is powerful, but complicated doesn't begin to describe it. You fight in sword mode to build up energy, use that energy to charge up phials, switch to axe mode, then use axe mode to expend those phials to empower attacks before returning to sword mode to start the cycle over.

If your energy buildup turns red, your weapon starts overheating and becomes useless until you charge the phials.

Also, worth noting is if you hit triangle while charging the phials, you can charge the weapon in general, giving the phial bonus to all attacks for a while (including sword form).

So, fighting with the charge blade revolves around dancing between several factors: health, sharpness, and combat as usual, but also energy, phials, and weapon form as well. And you can't ignore it, sticking in one form results in overheating and uselessness, even if your phials are already full. It's awesome looking and powerful, but only even remotely effective if you dance between the modes.
    Hey hey, thanks for this. I kept getting the whole weapon charge thing, but didn't know how I did it. Knowing how to willingly trigger it will be super helpful.

Doesn't that also charge your Shield as well, when in sword and shield form?

I wish I had an eye for study, because I'm curious if there are any invulnerability frames during the Slide attack when in Sword form. Thing has saved by butt on a few occasions where I accidentally dodge out of an attack's way.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Does anybody know if I can forcibly recall my kinsect without sheathing my weapon?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anybody know if I can forcibly recall my kinsect without sheathing my weapon?
    R2 and circle on PS4. RT and B on Xbox.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

From https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fext.../Insect+Glaive looks like L2+Circle or LT+B.

Edit: Sorry, found a MH world wiki.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2018-02-07 at 07:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

So what was the first monster you fainted while facing?

I haven't fainted...yet. Just got to the Wildspire Wastes, and came dang close fighting the Barroth. Stupid, stupid sticky mud.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the difficulty of the charge blade. It's one of those things where it's complicated to get the full mileage out of the weapon, but it's still simple enough that you can be effective with it without being a master.

So what was the first monster you fainted while facing?

I haven't fainted...yet. Just got to the Wildspire Wastes, and came dang close fighting the Barroth. Stupid, stupid sticky mud.
    That would be Anjanath...because I tried to kill him the very first time I saw him and got chomped.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea Anjanth for me as well, his enraged mode has a very powerful flame breath attack that could one hit KO me and he had a habit of doing it as soon as I changed into my charge blades slow combo.

21. - Top - End - #81

PirateGuy

Anjananth sneak attack got me. I was laser focused on chasing a Great Jagra, and he just blindsided me. Got caught in the crossfire.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thanks for the info guys, that'll be a great help!

Hehe, I'm going to jump on the train and say Anjanath as well, though he took me down when I was specifically hunting him. Suddenly people in the gaming area probably contributed, but it was mostly him. He had ambushed me a number of times before that, but I always managed to avoid getting hit before legging it as fast as I could.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

'Twas Anjanath what got me, too, but not until I deliberately hunted him after the story Anja hunt, and in an expedition so it didn't actually hurt anything. Got cornered in his nest area after I woke him up. Then I captured him and decided 'hell with it' and jumped on the Rathalos that had been around. That's the second time I fainted. But not until old Rath was good and mad.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2018-02-08 at 03:17 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I first got knocked out by Barroth, rather embarrassingly.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    From https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fext.../Insect+Glaive looks like L2+Circle or LT+B.

Edit: Sorry, found a MH world wiki.
    ... Once again my dyslexia catches up to me.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

26. - Top - End - #86

PirateGuy

Damn it, Monster Hunter World got it's hooks into me. Just finished the fight with the... Jy-somethingfishmonster in the Wastes, a few nights ago. Had the thought today at work "Man, can't wait for work to end so I can play tonight. I think I want some poison weapons. I may need to hunt a Pukei-Pukei, wonder if I have enough parts to get some poison resist to face it. I wonder if I should try the Bowguns to out-range it..." and so on.

Is this normal? Is this what happens when you get into the series proper? This didn't happen with 4 Ultimate.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    Damn it, Monster Hunter World got it's hooks into me. Just finished the fight with the... Jy-somethingfishmonster in the Wastes, a few nights ago. Had the thought today at work "Man, can't wait for work to end so I can play tonight. I think I want some poison weapons. I may need to hunt a Pukei-Pukei, wonder if I have enough parts to get some poison resist to face it. I wonder if I should try the Bowguns to out-range it..." and so on.

Is this normal? Is this what happens when you get into the series proper? This didn't happen with 4 Ultimate.
    Jyuratodus. Sometimes also answers to "turd dragon."

Anyway, that sounds a lot like how I've gotten into it too. I'm currently brainstorming how I'm going to take on Diablos without being carried by my friends.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

So the secret to fighting with a greatsword is Iaido.

Playing the game a bit more, I find I really like the insect glaive. I'm certainly not using it to its fullest, but the speed, the area of effect, the aerial maneuverability, and the bug acting as both secondary minor damage source and source of healing all adds up to being a pretty satisfying weapon. Also, the aerial game reminds me of RWBY, which just adds that much more charm to the mix.
    Iaido is about right. Greatsword is all about single devastating unsheathe slashes. Greatsword builds in previous games would make heavy use of skills like Critical Draw, which gave you +100% Affinity (crit chance) on unsheathing attacks, due to this.

Personally, I'm trying to use bugstick, but it doesn't gel with me anywhere near as much as my old trusty Lance. I can body pretty much anything I've found up to here with that in my hands. With bugstick it's... harder.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Anyway, that sounds a lot like how I've gotten into it too. I'm currently brainstorming how I'm going to take on Diablos without being carried by my friends.
    I found out; use the bow. It takes some time, but you don't bounce off him, and his charge is a joke with sidestep.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

I've found Diablos to be one of the easier fights. You just have to be careful to approach him from the sides instead of the front or the back. Don't get greedy and you should be ok. Also screamer pods help.