New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Monster Hunter World: Gotta Kill 'Em All

Quote Originally Posted by ErinTheKnight View Post
    I found out; use the bow. It takes some time, but you don't bounce off him, and his charge is a joke with sidestep.
    The Bow was the only way i was able to beat it solo. The falling stone attack is good at breaking its horns.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Made the switch from Dual Blades to Charge Blade, and am loving it so far!

I'm nowhere close to proficient with the CB, of course, but having to really learn the weapon is part of the fun. Without any proper leveling system, the only real character growth is in your developing mastery of your chosen tool. Dual Blades are just a little too user-friendly. Charge Blade has many strange mysteries and hidden depths, and I'm looking forward to plumbing the heck out of 'em.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Made the switch from Dual Blades to Charge Blade, and am loving it so far!

I'm nowhere close to proficient with the CB, of course, but having to really learn the weapon is part of the fun. Without any proper leveling system, the only real character growth is in your developing mastery of your chosen tool. Dual Blades are just a little too user-friendly. Charge Blade has many strange mysteries and hidden depths, and I'm looking forward to plumbing the heck out of 'em.
    One of the most interesting parts of CB is the guard points. Basically any time your shield is in front of you, you can block a attack. Add a charged shield into the mix that adds damage to the guards, you got a amazing skill.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I feel sorry for the people who are going to try and plat this game I'm about 250 monsters in and I've only just gotten my first miniature crown.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I feel sorry for the people who are going to try and plat this game I'm about 250 monsters in and I've only just gotten my first miniature crown.
    Fortunately, I've never cared about trophies.

Unfortunately, I've conceived the insane desire to craft every possible piece of armor. So today is probably going to be the day I spend my whole time killing Gajau to farm whiskers that have a 16% drop chance.

WHAT HAVE I BECOME.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I have just started my hunt for the first time since I dabbled in Freedom Unite back in days of yore (and didn't like it because of the controls on PSP).

Rather liking it, though I haven't done much more than the first few hunts. Tried out the Gunlance, which I quite like but have a tendency to launch the running lunge when I don't want to because I'm too used to pushing towards the target (though the big shield is super effective), and the Charge Blade, which is like a bigger slower version of a trick weapon from Bloodborne and therefore meets with great approval. Especially when you land a proper smack with the axe mode.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

WHAT HAVE I BECOME.
    A true hunter.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Just a friendly PSA: if you are running a quest that has you transporting a large item, like an egg, you can now evade without dropping it!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I managed to solo low rank Diablos with the insect glaive, but it was a rough encounter and I used a LOT of healing items.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Just a friendly PSA: if you are running a quest that has you transporting a large item, like an egg, you can now evade without dropping it!
    You can also climb and drop long distances, I knew I was missing something but I thought some quests where impossible until I realised that.

11. - Top - End - #101

Devil

But you cant crawl for some dumb reason.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    A true hunter.
    A hoonter must hoont.

13. - Top - End - #103

PirateGuy

The Tobi Kadachi Charge Blade looks sleek as hell.

Related: Fought the Anjananth. First mission I failed. It either has higher defenses than I'm used to, or it resists Electric damage. I'll have to take the Jagra CB after him to see if the damage is different.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    The Tobi Kadachi Charge Blade looks sleek as hell.

Related: Fought the Anjananth. First mission I failed. It either has higher defenses than I'm used to, or it resists Electric damage. I'll have to take the Jagra CB after him to see if the damage is different.
    Thanks for the heads-up! Anjananth is my next major mission, and I just got the Tobi-Kadachi CB. Sleek, as you say, as hell - but you'll have to let me know if the Jagra CB does better.

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateGuy

Thanks for the heads-up! Anjananth is my next major mission, and I just got the Tobi-Kadachi CB. Sleek, as you say, as hell - but you'll have to let me know if the Jagra CB does better.
    I'll let you know when I can. I'll be at work for quite a bit longer, but if someone had the answer to the elemental defense for Anjananth, that might help.

Could also be that the different Phial type on the Tobi CB is causing the difference.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

After a weekend spent pretty much doing nothing but Monster Hunter, I've hit high rank and gotten my hands on some pretty sweet gear. I've got a selection of about 5 or 6 different weapons in my two preferred types (hammer and insect glaive), and I'm just hitting the level where some of them start looking pretty unique and interesting.

My favorite so far is the poison hammer called Buon Fiore. It basically looks like a giant flower that sprouts quills when you're charging up an attack. I've nicknamed it the Killflower.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sounds like it's lesson time!

Regarding charge blade phials: there are two types; impact and element.

Impact can stun monsters if you hit their heads, and will drain some stamina, making them tire out (drooling, dropping less energetic) more often.

Element phials are more straightforward, dealing straight element damage (same as the weapon) to the part they hit. To my knowledge they do not have the same stunning or stamina draining effect that impact has. As you may imagine, this won't have much of an effect on monsters that resist that element.

On Anjanath: I believe it does resist thunder to some extent, and is definitely weakest to water. It is also stronger and tougher than anything you've probably hunted up to this point.

General Hunting Prep: you can fairly easily get the first level of research (Wich shows their weaknesses) by collecting traces in the field, I personally grab all traces I can find, even of monsters I'm not hunting, so I usually have that first level when I gear up for the hunt proper.

That is, of course, just my way of doing things, you may find a way that works better for you.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-02-12 at 05:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Sounds like it's lesson time!

Regarding charge blade phials: there are two types; impact and element.

Impact can stun monsters if you hit their heads, and will drain some stamina, making them tire out (drooling, dropping less energetic) more often.

Element phials are more straightforward, dealing straight element damage (same as the weapon) to the part they hit. To my knowledge they do not have the same stunning or stamina draining effect that impact has. As you may imagine, this won't have much of an effect on monsters that resist that element.

On Anjanath: I believe it does resist thunder to some extent, and is definitely weakest to water. It is also stronger and tougher than anything you've probably hunted up to this point.

General Hunting Prep: you can fairly easily get the first level of research (Wich shows their weaknesses) by collecting traces in the field, I personally grab all traces I can find, even of monsters I'm not hunting, so I usually have that first level when I gear up for the hunt proper.

That is, of course, just my way of doing things, you may find a way that works better for you.
    This was incredibly informative. Thank you.

I also didn't know about the research levels/what they did, so thanks for that heads up too.

There's a lot of things I just forget about that would make my life easier as well. I should be making more bombs, and carrying stuff to turn the throwing knives into status items, but I always rush out of HQ into the field.
    Last edited by Jama7301; 2018-02-12 at 05:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone messed with custom meal creation at the canteen? Anyone got some really awesome custom meals they'd like to share?

20. - Top - End - #110

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    This was incredibly informative. Thank you.

I also didn't know about the research levels/what they did, so thanks for that heads up too.

There's a lot of things I just forget about that would make my life easier as well. I should be making more bombs, and carrying stuff to turn the throwing knives into status items, but I always rush out of HQ into the field.
    Ranking up your research level will also let you see what parts of the monster can be broken or severed, particular weak points, and the rewards you can receive from carving, mission rewards, and parts breakage (some items can only be obtained at mission end if particular body parts are broken).

I believe it also helps the scout flies lock on faster as you track them. Individual footprints will fill the scout fly bar faster, that is.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

21. - Top - End - #111

Okay, so I've been picking up footprints, feathers, and mucus, and I've visited the Ecological Research Center to update my bestiary, but when I go to the guide, I don't see anywhere it specifies elemental weaknesses for any of the monster entries. Have I just not researched enough yet? Some of these critters are at "three stars" for research level...

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Each monster's page has several tabs, so make sure those are available and that you're checking them. If you don't have the tabs, keep finding tracks and the like.
    Last edited by Sholos; 2018-02-12 at 09:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Each monster's page has several tabs, so make sure those are available and that you're checking them. If you don't have the tabs, keep finding tracks and the like.
    Eureka! Many thanks!

All the time I've spent working in Excel, you'd think it would occur to me to ask "have you checked to see if there are multiple tabs?" when somebody claims they can't find something.

So I take it that the more stars there are next to an element, the more vulnerable the beast is to that element?

And a red x means they are invulnerable?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eureka! Many thanks!

All the time I've spent working in Excel, you'd think it would occur to me to ask "have you checked to see if there are multiple tabs?" when somebody claims they can't find something.

So I take it that the more stars there are next to an element, the more vulnerable the beast is to that element?

And a red x means they are invulnerable?
    Yep. So bust out that dragon element you have laying around vs raths!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Well, I've reached the point in the game where I've explored all the areas, crafted the stuff I want, and killed everything at least once. Nothing left now but grinding and waiting for DLC. I probably won't play much longer, but I got a good 50 to 100 hours out of the game so it was definitely worth my investment.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, I've reached the point in the game where I've explored all the areas, crafted the stuff I want, and killed everything at least once. Nothing left now but grinding and waiting for DLC. I probably won't play much longer, but I got a good 50 to 100 hours out of the game so it was definitely worth my investment.
    Try out different weapons? Becomes a whole new game going from something like Longsword to Charge Blade.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Try out different weapons? Becomes a whole new game going from something like Longsword to Charge Blade.

I've tried a few, but it's not a big enough change to really make the difference for me. It's ok though. I'm not the type of person who has to do every little thing in a game. I got a lot of play from this game, and had a lot of fun. I can move on now and be perfectly happy with the experience.

28. - Top - End - #118

Anjananth down!

He knocked me out a couple of times, but I slew him in his sleep before the third KO, so I still haven't failed a mission.

The available armor sets have definitely expanded too much for me to realistically craft them all. I'll just have to pick the ones I want based on looks and stats.

So, who only wears matching armor, and who likes to mix it up? I usually prefer to wear a matched set, because SYMMETRY.

29. - Top - End - #119

PirateGuy

I mix and match based on what I have and what I'm going to do. For the Zorah Magdarah capture story mission early on, I combined the Anjananth waist item with the Kulu headpiece to get two levels of Fire resistance heading in, since the thing's a giant volcano dragon. Didn't have enough pieces for a full set of either, so I made due with what I had.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

The available armor sets have definitely expanded too much for me to realistically craft them all. I'll just have to pick the ones I want based on looks and stats.

So, who only wears matching armor, and who likes to mix it up? I usually prefer to wear a matched set, because SYMMETRY.
    It's a matter of prioritizing. You can pick the most important ones to farm first, and then go back and get the others later. I'm not sure if there's a maximum storage capacity, but if there is I haven't hit it yet.

I started off wearing mostly matching armor, but if there's a certain piece I don't like (whichever waist piece makes it look like you're wearing a metal dress. I wanna say Rathian?), then I'll substitute something else.

The further in I get though, I am picking armor pieces based on the skills they grant, even if they don't match. Unfortunately that sometimes means weird combinations like Barroth legs with Rathalos armor, but it helps so it's worth it to me.