New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Hunter World: Gotta Kill 'Em All

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    You eventually unlock being able to equip 2 mantles/boosters so... I usually run Health and Cleanser or Health and Affinity. Some fights I'll grab a XXXproof mantle though.
    By any chance do you know the name of the quest that unlocks it? If it's an optional quest I probably have it available and just haven't done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Im usually carrying the Vitality Mantle, in my opinion the health booster just takes too long and makes you a sitting duck, ive died too many times while cowering in the mist.
    What often happens to me is that I get knocked out of the booster's radius, but am able to circle around back into it as long as I'm not the only one there. If I am by myself, then I'll usually pull out a potion at that point and abandon the booster.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    If I didn't main insect glaive, I'd probably usually run glider mantle, as it is, I always take it to the highlands, makes getting to legiana's nest so much easier. I've tried vitality mantle a little, it's nice if I can remember to use it. I do think they did a pretty good job balancing the equipment though, for the most part. Everything is either generally fairly useful, or situationally very useful.
    Does glider mantle not synergize with insect glaive? I main glaive as well, and I used the glider mantle in the beta. Other than helping to mount, what it mostly seems to help me with is crossing those chasms where you normally have to swing on vines, because I often either miss the stupid vines or don't jump far enough (I really, really hate climbing to Legiana's nest, because the fight is usually over before I get there if I'm playing multiplayer).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    By any chance do you know the name of the quest that unlocks it? If it's an optional quest I probably have it available and just haven't done it yet.
    It's unlocked after beating the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    So I've been thinking about something, and I wanted ya'lls take on it.

Probably don't read this unless you've at least finished the quest "One for the History Books"

Spoiler: Nergigante
    Show
    We've been told that Nergigante only shows up during the Elder Crossing, we know what the purpose of the Elder Crossing is, and the first two times we see it,
    it almost seems to be protecting Zorah Magdaros. With this in mind, what if Nergigante is like Charon/the ferryman of the Elder Crossing?
    It protects the elder dragons on the way to their final rest.

I haven't gotten to the point where I actually hunt it, so there may be more to learn that I haven't yet. But that's what I've been thinking.
    They'll go into its motivations in more detail later.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-02-21 at 03:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Does glider mantle not synergize with insect glaive? I main glaive as well, and I used the glider mantle in the beta. Other than helping to mount, what it mostly seems to help me with is crossing those chasms where you normally have to swing on vines, because I often either miss the stupid vines or don't jump far enough (I really, really hate climbing to Legiana's nest, because the fight is usually over before I get there if I'm playing multiplayer).
    Personally, I don't think it does. At least not for hunting. Unless you can use the mantle with your weapon drawn, or sheathe midair. I've found that the glaive has more than enough aerial ability without needing the mantle.

Basically, I've only found it useful for traversal, and only essential in one instance.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I'll try to find some time this weekend to experiment with it myself, and see what I think.

In the meantime though, I'm trying to up my game with my other main weapon, the hammer. My initial impression of the hammer was that it was great against fairly slow, low-to-the-ground monsters, but not of much use against highly mobile or tall monsters like Anjanath, let alone flying ones. As a result, I basically used it against the weaker monsters in Ancient Forest and Wildspire Waste (Great Jagras, Pukei Pukei, Kulu Ya Ku, Jyuratodus, Barroth) and then stuck to insect glaive after that.

However, in working my way solo through all the optional quests that I didn't do right away (I just finished all the 4* quests last night), I've been using the hammer as much as possible and finding that it can be more effective than I thought. Of course, I'm fighting low-rank monsters with a top-tier hammer now, so it's not a fair comparison, but I'm still happy with the results as monsters regularly die faster than I expected them to.

Looking forward to trying to bring the hammer into more high-rank missions, though I think I'll try it solo first to avoid dragging teammates down if it doesn't work.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Get a bounty for hunting Kirin. Great, I need that ridiculous looking bowgun. Only problem, 2 feints. Shouldn't be that big of an issue.

So I start the quest, pop a flare, and begin smacking a pony with my brand new Nerg daggers. Don't notice the first person join in until the "I'm next to the target" ping. 10 seconds later, he gets one-shot by the easiest to dodge attack the monster has. I think he went off farming while the others and I got Kirin to the last phase, at which point Carty McCart Face stands in the bad and the quest fails.

Oh, and I had a voucher running.
    Hopefully this at least teaches him that resists are great and it's a good idea to eat before fighting elder dragons
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I have never popped an SOS flare, and stories like that make me disinclined to do so. If I don't have actual friends joining me on the quest, I'd rather try to solo it than risk some random yahoo causing me to lose. At least if I blow it on my own, I don't have anyone else to blame.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

The game is a little too easy solo for my tastes. I usually run every mission with one other person so it's a little harder. Sometimes others do join in, but it's usually no detriment. Sure, people get carted sometimes, but that's just part of playing a game.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone have any tips on how to beat Kushala Daora, especially solo? I have a bunch of friends that play, but recently I haven't been online at the same time as them, and have reached the point where I need to start farming elder dragons to continue progressing.

I'm an insect glaive main, though I also use hammers a lot. I'm not averse to picking up another weapon type, but that would require a bunch of practice before I'd be ready to take on monsters this tough.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone have any tips on how to beat Kushala Daora, especially solo? I have a bunch of friends that play, but recently I haven't been online at the same time as them, and have reached the point where I need to start farming elder dragons to continue progressing.

I'm an insect glaive main, though I also use hammers a lot. I'm not averse to picking up another weapon type, but that would require a bunch of practice before I'd be ready to take on monsters this tough.
    Flash pods. Lots and lots and lots of flash pods. Just don't flash him when he's in a tornado.

Also any bow gun with pierce ammo does quite good against him as he's weak against it.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

10. - Top - End - #160

Flash pods. Lots and lots and lots of flash pods. Just don't flash him when he's in a tornado.

Also any bow gun with pierce ammo does quite good against him as he's weak against it.
    I'd recommend Shatterchrist+ with 3 long-range boosters. "Ol reliable".

Or it gets to the concept of why flare popping is a thing, it lets you divide up into your specialized roles and you should never die if there's enough targets sharing aggro. I don't hunt anything with wings (or is a unicorn) solo unless it's below my gear level.

This is despite the stories you collect. Oh yes, there will be stories.
    But it just wouldn't be the same without the stories.
    Ever have have nerg superman-dive the rest of your group clustered together?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'd recommend Shatterchrist+ with 3 long-range boosters. "Ol reliable".

Or it gets to the concept of why flare popping is a thing, it lets you divide up into your specialized roles and you should never die if there's enough targets sharing aggro. I don't hunt anything with wings (or is a unicorn) solo unless it's below my gear level.

This is despite the stories you collect. Oh yes, there will be stories.
    But it just wouldn't be the same without the stories.
    Ever have have nerg superman-dive the rest of your group clustered together?
    Yup.

Also had one where Daora charged into the little wall he starts near carting 3 people since he just keeps running against said wall for about 8 seconds.

Had a Teostra supernova in a hallway, with his face in a wall so he couldn't be flashed.

Had one bazelgeuse fight where he carted me, I ran back out and saw him beneath me so I took the chance to try and mount him. Didn't get the mount but did cause him to explode carting me and another guy that was near him (not one of my better moments).

And speaking of Bagel, off topic, but I did come across this bug with him.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Steam Profile

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

I had that bug earlier today in the same spot.

I've never actually seen someone die to Daora. We always just run up and beat his face with very little strategy required. I see people posting about having difficulty with him, but I've never experienced it.

13. - Top - End - #163

Yup.

Also had one where Daora charged into the little wall he starts near carting 3 people since he just keeps running against said wall for about 8 seconds.

Had a Teostra supernova in a hallway, with his face in a wall so he couldn't be flashed.

Had one bazelgeuse fight where he carted me, I ran back out and saw him beneath me so I took the chance to try and mount him. Didn't get the mount but did cause him to explode carting me and another guy that was near him (not one of my better moments).

And speaking of Bagel, off topic, but I did come across this bug with him.
    I like to imagine it like the end of Iron Giant
    Voice in his head: You can be anyone
    Nerg: Sup-er-maaaaaaan *triple cart*

Did you know that you can summon Bagel by THINKING his name 3 times. That's where people mess up, you can't think about it or he ganks your hunt. It's always showtime.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2018-02-26 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welp, got my first Mission Failed screen, to Rathian. Dang antidotes take tooooo long to chug!

Two quick questions and one longer, less coherent one:

A. What consumable buffs do you reccomend? I ought to put more on my belt than health pots.
    B. Is capture more rewarding than kill when you're hunting for upgrade materials?

and

C. Is there any way to tell if you're "playing badly"? I don't mean failing a mission, because that's obvious. I mean taking longer than you should, because you're not using your weapon to its fullest potential. I'm playing Charge Blade, and I *think* I'm using it properly. But it's so hard to gauge how much damage you're "really" doing, because you expect a hunt to take a long time, and you expect a fight to go on and on. I guess I'm just not experienced enough to know the difference between good and bad play, yet.

I know about breakable bits, and I know red numbers mean you're hitting a weak spot. But I still get the itching feeling that I'm not putting out the DPS I should be. Maybe just paranoia?

EDIT: Has anybody failed a mission because the timer ran out, even though they ran the monster down pretty quick and whaled on it like mad?
    Last edited by Lector87; 2018-02-27 at 08:50 AM.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    A. What consumable buffs do you reccomend? I ought to put more on my belt than health pots.
    Demon/Armor potsand flash pods are a good choice. Later in the game you'll want to take fight specific items such as Nulberries, Screamer pods, Cool Drinks, etc.

B. Is capture more rewarding than kill when you're hunting for upgrade materials?
    For this game, capture is generally better overall. Shortens the fight and you typically get more rewards.

C. Is there any way to tell if you're "playing badly"? I don't mean failing a mission, because that's obvious. I mean taking longer than you should, because you're not using your weapon to its fullest potential. I'm playing Charge Blade, and I *think* I'm using it properly. But it's so hard to gauge how much damage you're "really" doing, because you expect a hunt to take a long time, and you expect a fight to go on and on. I guess I'm just not experienced enough to know the difference between good and bad play, yet.

I know about breakable bits, and I know red numbers mean you're hitting a weak spot. But I still get the itching feeling that I'm not putting out the DPS I should be. Maybe just paranoia?

EDIT: Has anybody failed a mission because the timer ran out, even though they ran the monster down pretty quick and whaled on it like mad?
    This depends. I'd say you're good if you're averaging 15-20 minutes. Longer for the first hunt or 2 while you're still learning a monsters patterns.

Regarding Charge Blade, it's the most complicated weapon to use properly. Do you know how to charge the sword and shield to power up the axe combo?

Not for a normal 50 minute hunt, but you do get the 15 minute investigations that I've timed out on before on end game monsters.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2018-02-27 at 09:08 AM.

Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #166

Regarding Charge Blade, it's the most complicated weapon to use properly. Do you know how to charge the sword and shield to power up the axe combo?
    Yep, I know how to power up the sword and shield, and I usually try to charge the shield before I go for the big combo. From what I've read, charging the shield is always a good idea, but charging the sword is more situational, and experienced players don't charge it as frequently as they charge the shield.

One thing I never do is block. Taking a hit just feels wrong to me - I would rather dodge, every time. But using the shield properly is part of mastering the weapon, so I should really begin to learn.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, I know how to power up the sword and shield, and I usually try to charge the shield before I go for the big combo. From what I've read, charging the shield is always a good idea, but charging the sword is more situational, and experienced players don't charge it as frequently as they charge the shield.

One thing I never do is block. Taking a hit just feels wrong to me - I would rather dodge, every time. But using the shield properly is part of mastering the weapon, so I should really begin to learn.
    I like charging the blade just because it gives a bit of extra damage when charging phials. Though I run a low interrupt build so I always get the charge off.

I don't really use the block with the CB much. Probably should but the aforementioned low interrupt lets me chains combos pretty consistently.

And it sounds more like a gear issue if kills are taking longer than you think they should.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2018-02-27 at 09:24 AM.

Steam Profile

18. - Top - End - #168

It should be noted for fights with poison that pills take less time to eat than potions to chug. Make sure you're bringing herbal medicine. For the same reason, max potions. Ancient potions are great if you can even make them at this point (those adorable little deer in wildspire near the start. break their faces.)

Otherwise, you're fighting your first drake. Win or lose focus on getting your dodge patterns right (they will serve you well by the time Azure Rathlos and his three friends are spamming fireballs at you), and flash pods should be shot on the ground even if she's flying.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

It should be noted for fights with poison that pills take less time to eat than potions to chug. Make sure you're bringing herbal medicine. For the same reason, max potions. Ancient potions are great if you can even make them at this point (those adorable little deer in wildspire near the start. break their faces.)

Otherwise, you're fighting your first drake. Win or lose focus on getting your dodge patterns right (they will serve you well by the time Azure Rathlos and his three friends are spamming fireballs at you), and flash pods should be shot on the ground even if she's flying.
    Also a good tip for Rathian/Rathalos is sever the tail ASAP. No tail = no poison so you only have to deal with the fireballs

Steam Profile

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Demondrug and Armorskin potions (and their Mega versions) are great against especially tough monsters. I didn't really start using them until Elder Dragons because I'm naturally inclined to hoard consumables, and I would recommend saving the Mega versions until very late game because Nourishing Extracts aren't that common. However, the regular versions are still worth using, so if you can craft those and the supplies aren't too scarce, they're worth using.

My typical gear list looks something like this: Mega Potions, Max Potions, Shock Trap, Pitfall Trap, Tranq Bombs, Dung Pods, Flash Pods, attack & defense charms (and talons when you can use those). I also use the first-aid meds that are often in the box when you start missions since they're free and can top you off when using a mega potion would be a waste.

Situational items I will bring depending on the particular hunt: Large Barrel Bombs or Mega Barrel Bombs, Mega Demondrug, Mega Armorskin, Lifepowder, Antidotes, Nullberries, Cool Drinks, maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of.

I can't speak to Charge Blade specifically because I don't use it, but here are a few bad habits that can cost you time:

-Geting sidetracked when your hunt runs into other monsters, and fighting the other monsters too (I'm really bad about this sometimes)
    -Rarely using your Whetstone
    -Rarely hitting weak points
    -Forgetting to check which elements and effects the monster is weak to (i.e. if you bring a Thunder weapon against a Tobi Kadachi, you're not going to be very effective).
    -Not reading the tips in the Ecology reports
    -Forgetting to eat when you have the chance, either in town before you begin, in camp as soon as you start, or after you get the "you can now eat again" message if a convenient opportunity comes up.

Other than that, it comes down to being familiar with your attack combos and knowing how to avoid or mitigate the monster's attacks, mostly.

Also a good tip for Rathian/Rathalos is sever the tail ASAP. No tail = no poison so you only have to deal with the fireballs
    One of them (Rathalos I think) can also poison with their claws, but it's still worth taking the time to sever the tail.

21. - Top - End - #171

Oh, and something you may have missed because it took me forever to notice: standard free potions are upgradable. Set it to auto-craft and collect some honey before engaging, and you have free hi-potions.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Oh, and something you may have missed because it took me forever to notice: standard free potions are upgradable. Set it to auto-craft and collect some honey before engaging, and you have free hi-potions.
    I'm pretty sure that mega potions are set to auto craft by default. Unless you're referring to the weak potions you get from the mission chest. I don't find it worthwhile to upgrade those because they don't carry over once the mission is over so you're just wasting your honey.

I'd say standard hunting time is usually anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes once you learn a monster's pattern. Sometimes less. Once you get higher damage you can hunt a lot of things in a minute or two. Some of these methods are pretty cheesy though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-02-27 at 06:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

One of them (Rathalos I think) can also poison with their claws, but it's still worth taking the time to sever the tail.
    Rathalos only applies poison via claws. Still a good idea to go for the tail, it's an extra chance at plates, and gives a huge stagger.

I always run with armorskin and demondrug, megas for more scary hunts. Always always flash and dung bombs, specially cuz I pretty much always use Tzitzi headgear.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

I just got the game a few days ago and I just recently got to the Rotten Vale, but I am lrft with some questions as a newbie to Monster Hunter.

1) When is a good time to start taking on the apex predators in a given environment? My first instinct on seeing a monster is 'I want to fight it so bar's but this lead to me getting murder-dozed by an Anjanath in a story mission so I'm a little more weary of it now but I also really want to fight Rathalos, Diablos, and so on.

2) How well does old armor hold up and when is it time to upgrade? I rock Anja armor because of how cool I find that monster, I think its cool, and ojt of respect for being my most difficult hunts to date...am I going to be able to do that for much longer or is it necessary to change armies?

3) Where can I find Aquacores to forge up charms? How do I grow more than one thing at a time at the Botanist (is it story locked...?)? Any tips for the Long Blade (besides sever everything you can before going for a weakpoint) and/or sword and shield?

4) How much of this game should I expect to be able to do solo?

5) What's everyone's favorite monster in the game? I stick by Anjanath for as much as I've seen so far personally.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Callos_DeTerran;22882531]1) When is a good time to start taking on the apex predators in a given environment? My first instinct on seeing a monster is 'I want to fight it so bar's but this lead to me getting murder-dozed by an Anjanath in a story mission so I'm a little more weary of it now but I also really want to fight Rathalos, Diablos, and so on.[/qupte]

Any time you feel comfortable. Eventually, the story makes you hunt most of the monsters at some point so not a real rush.

2) How well does old armor hold up and when is it time to upgrade? I rock Anja armor because of how cool I find that monster, I think its cool, and ojt of respect for being my most difficult hunts to date...am I going to be able to do that for much longer or is it necessary to change armies?
    Not to spoil much, but until you hit high rank I wouldn't farm low rank armor very hard. Just enough to let you beat what you need since all the low rank stuff becomes useless.

3) Where can I find Aquacores to forge up charms? How do I grow more than one thing at a time at the Botanist (is it story locked...?)? Any tips for the Long Blade (besides sever everything you can before going for a weakpoint) and/or sword and shield?
    The ore is in Coral Highlands. The botanist is locked behind quests.

I'm hunter rank 101 with all optional quests done. Solo'd them all so...

5) What's everyone's favorite monster in the game? I stick by Anjanath for as much as I've seen so far personally.
    Legiana.

Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #176

Tips for making rare drops less rare?

I'd like to forge Dear Lutemis (a CB), but it needs THREE Rathian spikes - and of the three Rathians I've hunted so far, none of them have dropped a single spike.

...wait a moment - on looking at the wiki page for the weapon, there are apparently two ways to make the weapon? There's "Create with" (materials) and "Craft with" (materials).

What's the difference between "Create" and "Craft"? Are there higher-tier weapons you can create from scratch, rather than having to upgrade an existing weapon?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to forge Dear Lutemis (a CB), but it needs THREE Rathian spikes - and of the three Rathians I've hunted so far, none of them have dropped a single spike.

...wait a moment - on looking at the wiki page for the weapon, there are apparently two ways to make the weapon? There's "Create with" (materials) and "Craft with" (materials).

What's the difference between "Create" and "Craft"? Are there higher-tier weapons you can create from scratch, rather than having to upgrade an existing weapon?
    Well, if you've unlocked the melder, and gotten far enough, you can just meld rathian spikes. Otherwise the Legiana 2 piece gives the Good Luck perk.

For the Create/Craft thing, some weapons can just outright be forged by using more and rarer materials instead of starting at the very start start of the tree and upgrading. Dear Lutemis is one you can just craft outright if you have the materials.

Steam Profile

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

You can check your monster Field guide to see how to get each item. Capturing is pretty much always a good idea, as it gets you more and rarer materials.

Dear Lutemis can either be forged directly, or upgraded into, with different material requirements for each. Upgrading into it uses fewer Rathian materials.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-03-01 at 10:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Rathian Spikes have a 60% drop rate when you carve a Rathian's severed tail, and low percentages for being rewards for breaking the back scales. So make sure you're doing those, and utilize your investigations. Any Investigation with Silver or Gold reward boxes will have I think about 20% chance of the spike.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post

Just going to answer these two since the other questions were already answered.

The game is actually easier to solo than to play with other people. Monsters get buffed in multiplayer. Technically it's easier to play multiplayer if everyone in your group of 4 is competent, but my experience is that solo is normally easier than grouping with random people.

My favorite is also probably Anjanath. Most of the other difficult monsters tend to stay in their lairs or out of your way while you're hunting. Anjanath is a menace who shows up on every hunt while you're still too weak to deal with him.

Least favorite is probably Beetlejuice. He's not fun to fight, he's just tedious. Plus he roars constantly.
    He's the only thing I ever bother using a dung pod on.