The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [OOC] The Awakening

Welcome, my chosen! Feel free to post on here your character sheets, the color you want your character to speak in, and do any OOC chatter you like while I'm getting the IC going! I'd also like you all to re-post your backstories here so I can easily refer to them. I'll be quite busy tonight and tomorrow, so ETA for the IC thread is Wednesday afternoon.

If you want your characters to already have met, or to know certain things about each other due to your divine nature, that can be discussed here, too. We will begin, in neo-classical D&D style, in the feasting hall of an old temple called the Temple of the Three in Alvon - better known as the Tavern of the Three. Details to come in the IC.

From the recruitment thread:

Spoiler: The Lamentation of the Three, Ballad of the Fall
    Show
    In the beginning, there were the Three,
    Set high above the mortal plane.
    To the Three, voices sing,
    Mortals join in the refrain.

Master of Sun, of light and might,
    Blazed the day apart from night.
    Lord of industry, craft and coin,
    Under his banner mortals joined.

Mistress Moon, Lady of Deepwaters,
    Called to her side both son and daughter.
    Purveyor of darkness, guile, and luck,
    Of lamentation, madness, and all moonstruck.

Then the Morning and Evening, dual-natured Star,
    Whose gaze is cast both near and far,
    Took under their wing all that remained,
    Birth and Death, Hope and Pain.

Above and apart, observant of all,
    Stood the Watcher, warning of downfall.
    The mortals warred, claiming their god best,
    Until, having drawn on their power, they forced the gods to rest.

Asleep fell the stars, the moon, and the sun,
    Leaving the mortals to what they had done.
    The people abandoned, the heavens in turmoil,
    Across the land a hatred boiled.

"The gods are dead!" claimed the people.
    "Or at least abandoned us, and their steeples!"
    Down came the temples, despair filled the land,
    And above all, observing, the Watcher took his stand.

A prophecy handed down, from those with ears to listen,
    Spoke of the gods in a new age christened.
    "The people must wait, and pray, and stop their hatred,"
    And observant of all, the Watcher waited.

Short days scorched, cold nights froze,
    Endless dawn and dusk are all mortals now know.
    Waiting for our gods and the promised return,
    We mortals sing, while low our hope burns.

Only the Watcher knows how long we must wait,
    He who observes all, without care of our fate.
    We beg for our gods to awaken again,
    To end our suffering, forgive our sin.

For it was we who caused the fall,
    Who demanded too much, asked to have it all.
    Who sapped their power until nothing remained,
    Now we must hope sacrifices and songs are not in vain.

The Gods are dead.

So it has been decreed for centuries upon centuries. The three that created the world were forced into slumber 5700 years ago, or so the old songs say, by a war of the mortals who drew on their power until the gods were too weak to give anything more. Though when the War of Eternal Slumber itself is a thing relegated to myth, who can even say if there ever were gods to begin with? What IS known is that the world rests in a state of seemingly eternal twilight, with no distinction between day and night, nearly no divine magic, and no word from the so-called gods for nearly six millennia.

This is the attitude of mortals today. And it was once your attitude, as well - for you were born on this earth as a mere mortal. However, in the last fortnight, in a dream, you were Awakened. The Watcher came to you, and he spoke, and now - you know the truth. Or at least, fragments of it. For you - YOU are one of the Three. Your sleep of nearly six millennia has left you weak, and your memories fleeting. But now, you are AWAKE, and YOU will set the world right once more. You may not remember exactly who you are. Things that once seemed important to you, all encompassing, have faded, and you may only cling to a few of your valued tenants - or perhaps you have forsaken them entirely to make something new. After all - the first time, you failed. But now is your second chance. The Watcher bids you wake into this unknown world created in your absence. Regain your power, discover yourself - and ascend once more to your true divinity!

You must go to Alvon, seek out the other two - and then, your Awakening will truly begin.

Spoiler: The Sixteen - See next Post for Additional Info
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder 1e.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew setting, more info on the world will be in the next post.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    MAX 3. I may only take 1.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Bottom of Level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Average WBL. I will be giving each player a gift once we begin of an artifact that will grow stronger as you do.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Anything first-party on the PFSRD is fair game. Spheres of Power and Might (as well as Champions of the Spheres) are all in.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Core, Featured, and Common are in. Ask about anything else.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Roll 2 sets of 4d6b3 seven times, drop any score you please, and choose one of the sets. If you aren't happy with your rolls, take a 20-point buy. You can choose to use the point-buy AFTER you roll.
    HP is max at first, average round up afterwards.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is in use. Willing to waive Alignment restrictions for some classes, just ask and give me a good justification.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Have at it.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players generally make their own rolls, but I may roll perception checks and saves for them on occasion in the name of keeping the game moving along.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    • All races which normally have no superior senses (humans, halflings, etc.) gain low-light vision
    • Spheres is in
    • Background Skills are in
    • Two Traits, Three with a Drawback. May use a single Major Drawback for an additional feat.
    • Fractional Saves/BAB
    • No PvP
    • Everyone will be getting Leadership for free at 7th level. I will be building and playing the cohort. They will be one of your disciples, charged with writing your new Holy Text, doing what you say, being unquestioningly loyal, etc. Spoiler: one of your first missions will be to find and choose this disciple.
    • I have some special rules for languages that I'm trying out for the first time. See next post.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Yes, and I usually choose characters based on the quality of their background. I don't mind a lot of reading. Your character was once just an ordinary person somewhere in this world, but for some reason or another, a dream has revealed to you that you are in fact an avatar of one of the old gods. You were called to find your fellows in the city of Alvon - which is where we will be beginning our game.
    See the next post for more information which you may find useful to building your background.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    The challenges in this game will come in a series of 20 trials, the completion of which will level up your characters. Some trials will be easier than others, expect to level up quite quickly in the beginning. There will be a good mix of hack & slash, puzzles, RP, and at least one large dungeon. There will be a tiny bit of sort-of intrigue and mystery as you work on unwrapping your character's personal history, what led to the downfall of the gods, and what has happened in the years you were asleep. I will say the world is meant to be very dark. There is a lot of conflict, and the world is sort of at a crossroads. An in-between place - between day and night, belief and non-belief, hope and despair. Your job, as a deity, will be to bring Hope back into the world, get people to believe in you and follow you, and set things right once again.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Mostly answered above. Ask about Third-Party and Homebrew stuff, but don't expect me to learn new subsystems. VERY hesitant on psionics. Much more lenient on things like Third-Party Bloodlines, Archetypes, Mysteries & Domains, etc.

Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Elements of this game have been inspired by Thea: The Awakening and Thea: The Shattering, and some of the trials may resemble quests given in those games.
    Also, I may or may not have had this stuck in my head.
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2019-07-15 at 04:14 PM.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] The Awakening

Spoiler: Special Linguistics Rules
    Show
    Much like Earth has related languages and parent languages (i.e. Germanic, Romantic, etc.), I would like to play a little bit more with the Linguistics of this world. In this section I'm going to detail the 'oldest' languages of the world. By taking these parent languages, you also have a rough understanding of other languages in the same family group, even if your character is not fluent in them. A bit like how learning Latin can give you a good guess at what some Italian words mean, and can help you, to a lesser extent, understand Spanish and Portuguese.

What does this mean, mechanics-wise? Two things.

Most importantly for character creation, if your character is learning a language which they have NO experience with (i.e., they know no other language in the group, either the parent language or any of the daughter languages) it requires TWO points put into the linguistics skill. For this reason, I am also adjusting the cap on skill points you can put in the linguistics skill, making it Character Level +3. So, if at first level, you want to dump all your background skills as well as some of your normal skill points into linguistics to learn two foreign languages, you can. As implied, once you know a language in the language group, it only costs one skill point to learn another.

The second thing that this homebrew rule gets you is a +2 on linguistics checks for EVERY related language you know when trying to decipher or communicate in a language which you don't know.

Noteable addendums:
    If you take the Natural Linguist alternate racial trait which some races have (Aasimar and Tengu, I believe) instead of getting two languages for every skill point in Linguistics, you only get one language for every skill point, but this applies to ANY language, whether you were familiar with it beforehand or not.

The Xenophobic alternate racial trait does NOT increase the cost for buying unfamiliar languages. It costs two skill points to learn ANY one language.

Base languages for races remain unchanged. Any race that can choose from ALL FOUR of Auran, Aquan, Terran, and Ingan adds Primordial to their base choices. Any race that can choose AT LEAST TWO of Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal adds Divine to their base choices. Dhampir adds Necril to its innately known languages.

Spoiler: Parent Language: Divine
    Show
    These are the languages most commonly used for prayer and found in Holy Texts. Abyssal is associated with the Moon, Celestial with the Sun, and Infernal with the Stars. All ceremonies conducted with regard to the Three are conducted in one or multiple of these languages. However, as worship of the gods has faded, many of the words in these languages have lost their true meaning - simply being recited for the sake of tradition rather than given any real weight. Only a select few have complete mastery and understanding of these ancient and out-of-use tongues.
    • Abyssal
    • Celestial
    • Infernal

Spoiler: Parent Language: Draconic
    Show
    Draconic is the language of dragons; its related languages are those learned by its followers, but over the years Draconic has become incredibly popular among arcane mages. Powerful and direct, Draconic is the most widely-used tongue in magical communities, and most mages will speak Draconic, write their spells in Draconic, and communicate with other mages in Draconic. Likewise, Necril is an offshoot of the tongue prevalent in magic, very close to its parent, though with more subtleties.
    • Nagaji
    • Necril
    • Vishkanya

Spoiler: Parent Language: Dwarven
    Show
    The language of the first 'civilized' people, Dwarven is an efficient and well-understood tongue in its modern state. Dwarven is, however, one of the oldest languages, and one of the most evolved languages for that reason. The oldest Dwarven texts have words that are rooted in Terran, and some words that are even similar to Giant. However, the language has grown and changed so much that Ancient Dwarven is nearly unrecognizable to any who speak the modern tongue. Such hardly matters - Ancient Dwarven fell out of use even before the Gods fell asleep, and Middle Dwarven, the bridge between it and Modern Dwarven, is itself so seemingly convoluted that no one really bothers to learn it, instead favoring only the modern tongue. Dwarven gave rise to the most commonly spoken languages on the continent (namely, Common), these languages all breaking off from it at some point in its long history.
    • Common
    • Orc
    • Undercommon

Spoiler: Parent Language: Giant
    Show
    The Giants, called 'Mroki' in some of the ballads and histories of the world, played a prominent role in the shaping of the Material Plane. While the Sun, Moon, and Stars governed over all, it was the Giants who shaped the land itself, carving mountains and valleys and even molding life from the clay. This being so, however, many mortals have forgotten legends of the Mroki in favor of worshiping the heavens, and only a few races revere the Giants over the heavens. The Giants entered into their eternal slumber soon after creation, not asking to be worshipped, and were nearly forgotten. It is said, though, that their Song still hums through the core of the earth even today. Boggards and Cyclops claim to be physical incarnations of the Giants, and worship the Giants as hero-gods. The Ratfolk and Wayang, spiritually attuned to the world and among the first to walk it while the Mroki themselves were still around, pass down their legends and worship the "Powers below" as much as the "Powers above." And the Samsaran are said to be spiritual incarnations of the Giants themselves - many claim to have the soul of a Mroki. Druids also often learn Giant, as they draw their divine energy from the earth's core - the slumbering Mroki.
    • Boggard
    • Cyclops
    • Druidic (still a secret language)
    • Ratfolk
    • Samsaran
    • Wayang

Spoiler: Parent Language: Primordial
    Show
    The language of elemental forces and outside planes, Primordial and its daughter languages are the tongues used by outsiders and those closely tied to them. With few planestouched in the world, Primordial is most commonly used in Quzah, where the Tengu are prevalent.
    • Aboleth
    • Auran
    • Aquan
    • Ingan
    • Strix
    • Tengu
    • Terran

Spoiler: Parent Language: Protean
    Show
    Originally the language of chaos, Protean has more recently become the language of the wilds. Adapted by the chaotic creatures of the realm into Sylvan and Aklo, the races which had the most contact with the fey developed their own languages off of their patterns of speech.
    • Aklo
    • Catfolk
    • Elven
    • Goblin
    • Gnome
    • Grippli
    • Sylvan
    • Vanara

Spoiler: Languages Without Parent
    Show
    These are languages unto their own, with no known origins. Taking any of these languages always requires two skill points (unless you have the Natural Linguist trait).
    • Dark Folk
    • D'ziriak
    • Halfling (Note: Halfling is SPOKEN ONLY. There is no written Halfling Language, though it has been transliterated in Common.)
    • Gnoll
    • Sphinx

Spoiler: State of the World, when You Awaken
    Show
    In the past six millenia, the world has been plunged into near-eternal twilight. Days are short and burning, nights are fleeting and cold, but for twenty hours out of the twenty-four hour day, the world is cast in the burning embers of twilight. The world you left behind had a day cycle like earth - 11 hours of light, 11 hours of dark, 1 hour of dawn and 1 hour of twilight. Whether or not you restore this old pattern is up to you - and certainly beyond your immediate power! In the meantime, people have adapted to this way of life, and even races which used to be unable to see in darkness have gained some functionality in low-lighting.

Spoiler: The World
    Show

Spoiler: The Floating Empire
    Show
    Capital: Tethcia
    Government: Monarchy (Dynastic)
    Population: 1.057 million (mainly Merfolk, Gillmen, Undine, Elves)
    Main Languages: Aboleth, Aquan, Elven
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): China in the ages of the Silk Road, but also Atlantis
    Additional Info: A small but wealthy nation of traders, craftsmen, and skilled diplomats. The Floating Empire is ruled by Emperor Madlisel of the Jyath Dynasty, which has been the royal Dynasty for 450 years. The Empire has a monopoly on many fine, artisan goods and covetously holds the secrets to creating never-melting ice, an expensive commodity sold to many other nations. Of special note: the cities in the empire do, literally, float, with many of them being carved right into the sides of glaciers. Their never-melting ice preserves the integrity of these cities - which is what it was originally created for.

Spoiler: Thallanov Ukthazar
    Show
    Capital: Bigh Chill
    Government: Feudalism
    Population: 5.35 million citizens (adult male Orcs) plus 9.95 million residents (female Orcs and Orc children, Half-Orcs, Humans, Ratfolk, Samsarans) plus 18.84 million serfs (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Monkey Goblins, Svirfneblin)
    Main Languages: Orc, Common, Giant, Goblin
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Holy Roman Empire
    Additional Info: With its borders spanning an entire continent, Thallanov Ukthazar is a land governed by many feudal lords who hold power over their own stretches of land and the serfs tied to that land. Not every citizen is a lord, but only citizens may become lords. Citizens are allowed to travel the continent freely, while residents are encouraged to seek permission from their lords before traveling. Serfs, however, are bound to the land they are born, and may never leave, spending their entire lives in servitude.

Spoiler: Memnas
    Show
    Capital: Alvon
    Government: Monarchy (Elective)
    Population: 8.09 million (mainly Elves, Kitsune, Kobolds, Half-Elves, Humans, Catfolk)
    Main Languages: Sylvan, Elven, Draconic, Common
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Pre-WWII Japan
    Additional Info: A land bound by tradition and populated by the long-lived Elves, Memnas has some of the best-preserved religious rituals in the world pertaining to the Three. The people of Memnas are well-versed in their ancestry and cling strongly to their traditions and rituals. Many other cultures perceive those from Memnas as stuffy, private, and stuck in an era relegated to the past, but those who do so often fail to recognize the importance of the histories Memnas has preserved. A new king or queen is only elected upon the death of the last, adding to the image of a country that never changes when many of the elven rulers outlive most everyone else in the world.

Spoiler: Quzah
    Show
    Capital: Pazasun
    Government: Theocracy
    Population: 13 million (mainly Tengu, Strix, Wyvarans, Nagaji, Vishkanya, Humans)
    Main Languages: Auran, Tengu, Draconic
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Ancient Egypt
    Additional Info: With mountains to protect it, Quzah is a nation most unlike anything else on the continent. With its own traditions stemming from a storied heritage, Quzah has Memnas on a run for its money in being the 'Most Tradition-Oriented Nation.' Instead of pertaining to religion, however, Quzah boasts some of the most elaborate death rituals on the planet, and its people are said to know the most about the mysterious and enigmatic Watcher - even going as far as to call him a god.

Spoiler: Sokysiya
    Show
    Capital: Vatsari
    Government: Tribal
    Population: 2.42 million (mainly Humans, Ratfolk, Wayang, Goblins, Hobgoblins)
    Main Languages: Common, Giant
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Viking Scandinavia
    Additional Info: A small nation hedged in by Rhennebois, Sokysiya has turned away from claiming large swaths of land in favor of mastery of the seas. Raiders and barbarians to many, Sokysiya's people have often been at war with the nation of Thallanov Ukthazar. Making them even more strange in the eyes of the world at large, the folk from this nation have the best preserved history of the Mroki, and even the humans in Sokysiya worship the giants as gods.

Spoiler: The United Counties of Rosrea
    Show
    Capital: Everport
    Government: Federal Democracy
    Population: 19.54 million (mainly Humans, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, Dwarves)
    Main Languages: Common, Gnome, Dwarven, Halfling
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): United States of America
    Additional Info: Said to be a land where anyone can make it, the UCR accepts all sorts. Outside of the named majorities above, one can find a member of pretty much any race walking the streets of Rosrea's towns and cities. The Free City of Midas, though independent of all other rule, has its strongest ties to the UCR. Despite its comparatively small landmass, Rosrea has one of the largest populations among all other countries. Due to its claim to be a "Melting Pot" of all different peoples, the UCR has very little of its own, innate culture, instead borrowing the aspects of many other cultures. For this reason, it is the country that celebrates the most holidays - and for THIS reason, the stereotype of an individual from the UCR is a drunken half-breed with more ambition than respect.

Spoiler: Rhennebois
    Show
    Capital: Previously Soluir, now Tomberont
    Government: Communist
    Population: 12.8 million (mainly Gnomes, Planestouched (excluding Aasimars), Skinwalkers)
    Main Languages: Gnome, Primordial
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Revolution-Era France
    Additional Info: Having just thrown off the rule of an Airistocracy, the forests of the once-peaceful and beautiful Rhennebois have recently become the site of guerilla warfare and vigilante justice. This is a lawless land which has the pretenses of law, with a hastily written constitution declaring that 'what is good for the majority must be done.' Gnomish aristocrats from the previous rule have mostly fled west to the UCR, learing in their wake a people said to be rife with theives and murderers. Old manors lie looted and abandoned in the woods, with vagrants holing up anywhere they please, and anyone who dares to challege the will of the majority faces a swift and untimely demise.

Spoiler: Tumunzir
    Show
    Capital: Vark
    Government: Oligarchy
    Population: 7.6 million (mainly Dwarves, Humans, Duergar)
    Main Languages: Dwarven, Common, Undercommon
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Ancient Rome
    Additional Info: Run mainly by clans who can trace their histories back before the slumbering of the gods, the people of Tuminzir are as proud of their heritage as they are the advancements they have made in modern society. An effecient, inventive people, the folk of Tumunzir are always on the cutting edge of technology. The dwarves have the proud claim of first installing country-wide roads, which many other countries adopted after them. The borders of Tumunzir used to stretch as far east as the desert, and many folk who live in the Plains today still use Dwarven roads, which have withstood the test of time.

Spoiler: Plains of Thummeanseth
    Show
    Capital: Thummeanseth; Pronunciation: Su-man-shays
    Government: Republic (Elective)
    Population: 9.55 million (mainly Halflings, Humans)
    Main Languages: Halfling
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Wales
    Additional Info: A spread-out land of small towns and pastures, the People of the Plains (Thummeanseth) are ruled by small-time mayors and governers. Appearing seemingly out of the ground after the decline of the grand Dwarven Empire, the halflings took a once-considered useless plot of grass and transformed it into a beautiful plain with exotic flowers, rare grazing animals, and the best damn bakers you can find anywhere in the world.

Spoiler: Land of the Seven Princes
    Show
    Capital: Moot
    Government: Tribal (Nomadic)
    Population: 15.1 million; about 2 million per Clan (mainly Humans, Aasimar, Elves, Half-Elves, Catfolk, Orcs, Half-Orcs)
    Main Languages: Common, Protean
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): The Avars
    Additional Info: The Land of Seven Princes, known to the locals as The Land of Seven Minas, is filled with a nomadic people whose mastery of horse and camel riding has enabled them to survive in the harsh southern desert. The seven 'cities' shown on the map are named after clan leaders, with 'minas' being a Protean title translated to 'prince' in Common. A people who are as changing as the ever-shifting sands, the clans meet once every seven years at the Moot point to make decisions affecting all the clans, arrange marriages, and elect new clan leaders should one become an elder or pass away.

Spoiler: Sivalu
    Show
    Capital: None
    Government: Anarchy
    Population: .98 million (mostly Vanara, Monkey Goblins, Lizardfolk)
    Main Languages: Protean, Vanara, Goblin, Draconic
    Closest Cultural Equivalent (Earth): Hawaii
    Addional Info: The ideal place for vacations and honeymoons, Sivalu is a tropical island whose natives are described as 'relaxed, helpful, and curious.' They have a unique culture surrounding the 'ritual' of feasting, and at least one evening a month families (or those close enough to be considered family) join together for a night of eating, dancing, drinking, and other forms of revelry. Tourists are often invited to join in on these parties, adding to the allure of this island as a travel destination.

Spoiler: The Watcher
    Show
    A question you may have after reading the poem in the first post: who is the Watcher?
    It is generally agreed upon by most peoples that the Watcher is not a god - rather, he is an omniscient but otherwise powerless being. He knows all, he sees all, the effects of decisions both made and unmade, from the beginning of time to the end of time, but he has no power to affect fate or the outcomes of individual actions. It is believed that the Watcher is a sort of Gatekeeper to the afterlife, that when mortals die, he is the one who tells them in which realm they will spend their afterlife. Many of the shorter-lived races, especially humans and orcs, consider him evil, a sort of judge that weighs every insignificant crime a mortal commits in their life against them at the end. Others believe him to be a Timekeeper, the bringer and arbiter of the end of days - whether that ending is hopeful or ill. However, the Watcher is neither good nor evil - he just is.

Spoiler: The Three
    Show
    Detailed in the spoilers below is the very basic information generally known or accepted by mortals about The Three. These notes are merely guidelines, and are CERTAINLY not the be-all end-all of what type of character you're creating, INCLUDING the portfolios. After all, your character has awakened with little memories of who they used to be, and may take a completely new approach to how they work in the world - which is why I haven't included much info here. When submitting your character sheet, however, I would like some indication of which of the Three you want your character to be.

Spoiler: The Sun
    Show
    Alignment: LG
    Portfolio: Commerce, Justice, Law, Light, Good, Industry, Civilization

Spoiler: The Moon
    Show
    Alignment: CE
    Portfolio: Trickery, Madness, Luck, Murder, Darkness, Hunt, Evil, Chaos, Animal

Spoiler: Morning and Evening Stars
    Show
    Alignment: True N
    Portfolio: Ancestor, Life, Death, Repose, War, Peace, Seasons, Magic, Balance

Spoiler: Divine Magic
    Show
    In order to head off the inevitable question of 'how does divine magic work in a world where there are no gods,' the simple answer is, it doesn't. There are priests and priestesses, but they focus on tradition and rituals, not magic, and indeed many of your old temples have crumbled to dust. Things like healing spells/potions are handled by alchemists. You, however, can be a divine caster - you're an avatar! You get your divine power from yourself!

The exception to this rule are Druids, Rangers, and Hunters. They draw their divine energy from the earth itself - to be more specific, their power comes from the slumbering Mroki. Whether they recognize the Mroki as divine or not, however, varies from individual to individual. Most Druid Circles, however, do revere the Mroki. A thematic note for these casters: the "magic" given by the Giants is usually performed through song, as tradition holds it that the Giants sang the Material Plane into being, and their Pulse is the root of all life.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hooray! Thank you for picking me

Ragmjir shall speak in grey, the most neutral of colors!

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Healer, savior, bearer of advice. Judge, witness, arbiter. Killer, doomsayer, crusher of hope. All these I have been and more.

But never have I been complete.

As a babe, I was rocked to sleep each night by the song below. Deeper even than the mines of the dwarves, the bones of the world resonated with ancient song, sung by the Giants when they created the world so long ago. Sometimes faint, but never absent, it filled my mind with beautiful melody, all at once mournful, joyous, angry, reassuring. The song of creation was my lullaby.

A lullaby only I could hear.

As I grew, I tried, as any child would, to sing that song, so familiar, comforting. But there was always something missing. Some indescribable quality was absent from my young voice, and so too was the heart of the melody. Until my tenth season.

A typical twilight. Idly humming as I played with a miniature ship carved by a friend of my father, the heart of the melody began to beat along with my own. As a ship is driven before the wind, reality was driven before my voice. And the ship began to glow.

We looked on, my parents and I, eyes wide. Theirs with awe, mine with confusion. The light soon faded, and I was rushed to bed. I fell asleep once more to the sound of the song below, along with the hushed voices of my parents.

As the night rolled into twilight, I was brought before the elders of the clan. I was blessed by the Giants, they said. One of the rare few given the gift of ears able to hear the Giants' song. I was to be given a teacher, so that I may sing with more finesse than that of a small child. As my skill grew, they said, so too would the magic I could create.

I took to singing as a ship takes to water; perhaps a result of the melody I had heard all my life. The more control over my voice I gained, the more I learned of the subtleties of song, the more effects I could produce but with a few notes. None were particularly powerful, but they were many and varied. The strain was the most difficult part - I could only warp the world so much before my eyelids grew heavy.

Six years passed, slowly expanding my abilities. I could now produce a variety of effects, though only a few times each day. I had also learned to channel the song into a healing light, a warm glow that could close even large wounds in mere seconds. Even the older members of my tribe looked at me with an odd reverence, and gave me a level of respect not afforded to most my age.

The day came when I was to be made a man. Supplies were running low - a raid was needed. All who had recently come of age were boarded onto the ships, along with the more experience men and women. I was given an axe and armor, told not to do anything too dangerous, and into the waves we went. The twilight sky reflected off of each face differently - in some it illuminated a look of grim determination. In others, the faint reflection of eager glee.

The ships landed on the beach of a large fishing village, and out we leapt. An alarm sounded, and the flashing of steel and the cries of pain began. Nets of fish, carcasses of cattle, and more were dragged back to be hastily thrown onto the ships before the warriors charged back in for more. I cautiously made my way in, dazed by the activity. An orc a head taller than myself saw and charged toward me. I do not remember the rest - my mind faded to darkness.

When I awoke, my axe was covered in blood, and my magic was exhausted. The raid leader patted me on the back with a grim smile. Told me that my magic had saved lives. That my axe had, too. It was the first time of many.

I returned to my tribe an adult. After I recovered, the elders called me to them. They said that I would be given a unique position. The power given to me by the Giants was also a sign that I was possessed of great wisdom. Dubbed 'Inn Spaki' - the wise one - I was to be an advisor to the tribe on all matters - personal, criminal, and otherwise.

Men and women, young and old, even those from other tribes came to me to ask on all manner of subjects. Marital issues, business decisions, spiritual searches. I am not ashamed to admit that I did not know many answers. But they demanded one all the same, and I gave as best as I could.

It was during this time that I came to understand the depth and breadth of humanity. The hottest rage, coldest hate, most passionate love, and deepest sorrow passed in front of me, day after day. It began to blend together, one long stretch of the extremes of emotion. I felt apart from my tribe, more of an outsider who have advice than true member.

In my 23rd year, after seasons of battles, questions, of seeing the highest and lowest of humanity came a dream.

A dream of song.

Tears of a bereaved widow pounded out a rythym as they hit the ground, a harmony composed of the laughter of children and adults alike, and a melody made from the cries of wounded warriors as they fought to protect their village sounded in my mind, echoing the sound of that song that had cradled me to sleep as a babe, playing on and on, adding in more and more of all I had seen, heard, felt, rising to a swelling crescendo!

Before sharply cutting to silence.

And in its place, a kindly old man sat, his face distantly familiar. In a soft voice, he told me strange things. That my magic was wholly my own, not from the Giants. That I was a sleeping god, soon to be Awakened. His words were madness, yet I could not disbelieve them. His finals words were to head to Alvon. There I would meet two others like myself, and with them I would learn more of myself and the world.

When I awoke, I packed my few belongings. I told the elders that I was going to go on a journey to learn more, and they eagerly agreed. I said farewell to my family, though they were somewhat estranged by my years in my position.

Now I walk toward Alvon, to find these others, and learn of this destiny I have been dealt.

Sheet.
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Woohoo! Happy to be gaming with you excellent people.

Hrad Shukhov

Hrad will speak in golden tones.

Hrad Shukhov originally hails from Minas Saere, in the Land of the Seven Princes. He grew up in a large family and was raised by loving parents. His father was a low-ranking clan headman, and was able to secure Hrad a position as a militia guard in the city. His mother was beginning to whisper with the local matchmaker about finding him a wife. All in all, he was on the right track for a comfortable (if somewhat boring) life.

That life came to a screeching halt, however, when Hrad dreamed a dream. A disturbing, glorious, terrifying, beautiful dream. The Watcher appeared to him, and his voice was a whisper and a thunder bolt at the same time. He revealed that Hrad was the chosen mortal vessel for a deity -- The Sun. It was his destiny to regain his powers, learn his duties, and guide the peoples of the world. The Watcher reached out and touched his forehead... and he woke up in a sweat, clawing at his sheets. After calming down, he sensed a presence in his mind. It was a small bundle of thoughts and emotions -- his nascent divine-self. After several hours, he was able to communicate empathically with the presence. After several days, he was able to speak with the presence (imparting the understanding of several languages greatly assisted). While otherwise occupied with his guard duties, Hrad educated his divine-self about how the world had changed in nearly six millennia.

The Sun was not pleased.

The Three had given their divine essences freely to mortals to assist them in their struggles. They gave them healing, knowledge, power, and glory. They gave them so much that the Three were forced into a deep sleep to preserve their very lives. And what had the mortal races done in return? Forgotten them. The temples of the Three were in ruins, their faiths vanished, and even their memories were myth. This pained The Sun especially, who had taken a special interest in shepherding and protecting the mortal races. The world was in chaos. The Sun stopped speaking to Hrad for nearly a week...

The Sun reached out again. Hrad was surprised to find that the touch was no longer a warm and gentle presence, but instead was hard, angular, and hot. Benevolence had been replaced by righteous indignation. The Sun had decided, through an eon of careful deliberation as time passes for eternals, that the chaos and faithlessness of the mortal races could not be tolerated. It was necessary for The Sun to change. Just as the sun in the sky could give life-giving warmth and light to the flora and fauna of the earth, so too could the sun be an oppressive and unrelenting heat that punished the wicked and the foolish. It was now necessary for the mortal races to have a firm hand in guiding their destiny.

The Sun filled Hrad with its glory. The experience was jarring to say the least, with mental and physical effects that left him stronger, hardier, wiser, and more commanding. It imparted him the powers of a paladin -- who had not walked the earth in over five-thousand years -- but a paladin of justice and order rather than goodness and mercy. The Sun also gave him a mental picture of the mortal avatars of The Moon and The Morning and Evening Stars, as well as the location of a city named Alvon, far to the north. After a brief good-bye with his family, Hrad set out north as a caravan guard to fulfill his destiny.
    Last edited by Rattlebones; 2019-07-15 at 07:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Howdy everybody! Happy to be acquainted with the lot of you. If it's all the same to everybody else, I think I'm going to go with this shade of purple for Genevieve's speech.

And, without further ado, here's the sheet for Genevieve Deselene. And, to go alongside it, a reposting of her backstory:

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Genevieve was born into nothing. Or rather, born into what more privileged people would CALL nothing. Born to the southern edge of Sokisya, she and her tribe, a group of quasi-nomadic people who had spent centuries skirting the edges of Rhennebois LONG before its collapse, were beset on both sides by forces that wished for nothing more than to see them cease to be. Their kin to the north saw them as weak stragglers. As folk to be ignored at best, and bowled through at worst. And the revolutionaries of Rhennebois saw them as useless layabouts. As folk who contributed nothing to anyone but themselves, all whilst stealing the bounty of the forest that was rightfully theirs.

Genevieve saw neither of these things when she saw her people, however. All she'd ever seen, since the dawn of her birth, were a people of great history and myth. Of folks who kept an oral tradition spanning centuries. Spoken in ancient Giant, as with those to the north, but in many ways independent of the other hymns of Sokisya. A people who embraced teachings older than any could remember. The powers of illusions, divinations, and mind magic which allowed their elders to open their minds to the world in ways their eyes could never show them. Genevieve saw the good in all of her people. And, at some point in her early childhood, that phrase turned quite LITERAL in its meaning.

As the story goes, according to her mother, Genevieve had awoken from a strange, indescribable dream. She'd hurried to wake the older woman. Babbling about the moon, and the nature of illusions and truth. Speaking in a voice that seemed almost alien coming out of the young, fresh-eyed girl. But such anecdotes were lost amidst a greater sight. That of a strange, opalescent, glowing sigil on the center of Genevieve's forehead. Stylized to look like an eye wide-open. It's pupil curving actively in a strange fashion. Cycling through stages, like the many faces of the moon.

The sigil, her elders surmised (and they could ONLY surmise, as their divinations failed to peer through it), was an omen. A sign of great import. Of magical power, given form in a physical branding. This proved true in due time as Genevieve grew older, and she learned that her power conferred to her a strange aptitude with the magic of the mind. Allowing her to "see" into others, and strike a chord with their mind, making their wills waver at her mere thought. It also, as she would soon find out, allowed her to speak virtually all tongues, living and dead. A skill which proved quite useful, as her honeyed words stopped many a catastrophe with their neighbours, far before they occurred.

In time, however, Genevieve became a woman. And in her womanhood, found that there was nothing left for her people to offer or teach her. Her magic did not grow as others' did. Did not shift or change with training or diligence. As though such acts were not valuable enough a tithe to pay for her own advancement. Consulting the elders, she was faced with a brutal insight: That the tribe was not her destiny. That the only way for her to grow, was to grow in the absence of her people. The insight, whilst painful, was well-received. And, with tearful goodbyes on her lips, and wishes of good fortune at her back, she'd set across the land in search of truth. Of some... Some sign of what the world was to make of her. Of what she would become. For years, she travelled the land. Making pay where she could, and stealing it when she had to. And, for a time, she had found this to be an equilibrium.

...All of this changed when she was given the Watcher's dream.

At that moment, a paradigm was revealed to her. Her perspective shifted, with her place adjusted to a new center. She was the moon. The essence of the mind's eye in the dark. And, by the eternal Watcher's call, she had been given the task of reclaiming her ancient essence. And so, she carries forward. Towards Alvon. Towards her fate. No matter the strangeness, madness, or horrors that lay splayed out along the way.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

IC has arrived, as promised!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Alrighty! So, y'all wanna arrive as a unit? In sequence? If we're not arriving as one, I do actually feel like Genevieve might be the first one there. Since she'd probably have the best chance of being closest when the dream occurred. But I'm open to suggestions.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Infinity View Post
    Alrighty! So, y'all wanna arrive as a unit? In sequence? If we're not arriving as one, I do actually feel like Genevieve might be the first one there. Since she'd probably have the best chance of being closest when the dream occurred. But I'm open to suggestions.
    I think it might be interesting to not have our characters know each other prior. We can RP getting to know each other and such

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    I think it might be interesting to not have our characters know each other prior. We can RP getting to know each other and such
    That sounds fine by me! Allows for more interesting fodder in the IC that doesn't necessarily require Hannah to push us forward. Good way to get our bearings.

What about you, Rattlebones? What say you?

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm fine with arriving separately.

Hannahbbug3: Would our characters have some way of detecting each other (like immortals from Highlander)? Or do we have to make small talk until we find each other?
    Characters:
    Hrad Shukhov- The Awakening

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You would be able to sense each other.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't want to cut in on the awesome roleplay that I see happening, but to get us moving along, I'll put up a post tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

turns out I lied, oops

working on a post now, sorry about that!

14. - Top - End - #14

I see that MIB reference, rattlebones
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-25 at 10:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey, Steve, lemme know if Genevieve ever gets too sharp with Hrad for your tastes. The point is to evoke sensations of some nebulous rivalry between the Sun and the Moon long past. But the GREATER point is always to have fun, and I'd hate to get in the way of that.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I don't suppose there's any sort of roll one of could make to "remember" some kind of passage of ancient scripture in order to attempt to convince this man we're not just crazy and/or drunk?

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You can make a religion check for that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Ah! Well... Sadly, Genevieve isn't really Int-based. Anyone else wanna try first?

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Xiolanos Dawnstrider

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, being a cleric, mine is decent enough:

(1d20+5)[16]

20. - Top - End - #20

Roll for Knowledge (religion)

(1d20+6)[24]
    Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21

I never pass up an opportunity to slip in a movie quote. ;)

I'm fine with Genevieve's current level of shenanigans. You playfully kid, I tolerate long-sufferingly. It's all in good fun.
    Characters:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

With a 24, you can pretty reliably pull a quote out of your ass. Would you like to come up with a verse, or shall I write one for you? I mean, it's your religion, so if you have something specific you want to say, I won't stop or 'correct' you.

23. - Top - End - #23

I will be certain to use something to cover up, but right now I'm just waiting for the barman to respond.
    Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24

Bump for visibility. :)
    Characters:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the slow pace, guys! I was waiting for Capt. to respond, and was also out of town for the weekend. Haven't heard from Capt. in a few days. Have any of you heard anything?

Working up a post now!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Just got word from Capt. that they're dropping, but I'm working on getting a replacement really quickly. Hang in there guys!

27. - Top - End - #27

Ah, was wondering about that. Too bad

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Talking with one of the other applicants. He should be joining us shortly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everyone! Please welcome...

There weren't many non-gnome noble families in Rhennebois, but growing up in one of them was a delight. Athénaïs de Papillon had everything she ever could have wanted: the finest tutors in courtly skills and swordplay, wealth and comfort, beauty and burgeoning magical talent.

The last one was the only thing that saved her when the revolution came. She watched in horror as the mob butchered the family guard, slaughtered her parents, even killed her little brother Louis. Bewildering the bloodthirsty revolutionaries with shimmering illusions helped her barely escape and survive as the last of the de Papillons.

In her desperate, excruciating escape from Rhennebois, she was forced to face the truth of where the revolution's fury came from. She'd had no idea how poorly so many of the peasantry were treated. How could she? She and her family had always treated them fairly, hadn't they? But now they were mad dogs, lashing out at anyone they perceived as a threat.

She was exhausted, delirious, and barely across the border into the Plains of Thummeanseth when she understood that she was the Moon. Maybe this was what all her suffering was for: to realize her potential as the Empress of the Night Sky. She just has to ascend. Then she can put everything right.

30. - Top - End - #30

Hey! Glad you're here