The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo OOC

Okie-dokie.

OOCly, I'm willing to pick that lock, but someone really ought to check it for magic first so's there isn't a tragedy (involving me). I have a whopping +2 on my Disable Device, as it's not a class skill, so I meant it when I said I'm terrible at it. That said, I don't think there's immense time pressure here. Miz is much better at it, I believe, but I don't know if she wants to advertise.

And yes, I'm flirting with the dear lady.

PS: Good to have you back Steveo!
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-12-10 at 01:34 PM.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Fraternizing with the Queen's handmaiden? Thats nearly as bad as flirting with the queen herself. What would jack and your other milani buddies think? Tsk tsk.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

They’d think it’s nice he’s letting hjer enjoy her last three to six minutes on this earth, depending on constitution check...

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

That's funny, I'd imagine she'd be thinking the same thing, given in nature it's usually the male who's the one who doesn't make it.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, that'd totally be the case here too.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm inclined to give it a try, hopefully my body won't be blasted across the street by a fireball trap.

Will post tonight.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steveodore View Post
    I'm inclined to give it a try, hopefully my body won't be blasted across the street by a fireball trap.

Will post tonight.
    That would be unfortunate. I mean, not as unfortunate as if it was me... but still.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just in case anyone is wondering what Dalen is going on about, magical traps have magical auras and are detectable by the Detect Magic spell as a result. However, they are objects and thus are legal targets for the Magic Aura spell which can conceal their aura and thus render them invisible to detect magic. While more powerful divination spells could work, that's above Dalen's current pay grade and he knows it. In terms of protecting us from traps, a pumped perception score is far and away the best defense.

Of course, if you want to get really nasty, the worst one is Explosive Runes written in magically invisible ink. You can walk through the room normally without ever seeing it, but if you cast detect magic in the room now those runes are visible to you... boom.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Nasty to be sure... but not likely in one’s own home, I wouldn’t think.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

For what it's worth, there does not seem to be evidence of a fireball trap - i.e. no giant scorch marks around the door, and there's still an actual door rather than a bunch of charred slats of wood.
    Dalen does detect several magical auras within the house - one moderate on the first floor, one moderate and one minor down below ground level - likely in a basement of some sort.

11. - Top - End - #761

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Nasty to be sure... but not likely in one’s own home, I wouldn’t think.
    If you've got magical secrets to hide and someone is snooping around your house with a detect magic spell, it may well be a prudent fail-safe. Certainly if Dalen wanted to hide incriminating evidence against possible snooping by other students of the arcane, he'd give that serious consideration. Then sue anyone stupid enough to trigger the runes for causing damage to his property through their reckless tampering, because that's exactly the kind of jerk he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    Dalen does detect several magical auras within the house...
    Detect Magic requires line of effect to work (since its an emanation), so Dalen couldn't perceive any of those auras at this moment in time. The cantrip can see auras through darkness or fog (which only block line of sight, not line of effect) but solid walls are a hard stop.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-12-11 at 01:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted! You're in Andaisin's house! Now for the hard part . . .

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted! You're in Andaisin's house! Now for the hard part . . .

... getting to second base?

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure you have a play for that.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

Just to make sure, Silas detects zero thoughts from inside or around the house?
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2018-12-13 at 07:08 AM.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Correct. I guess technically it would be similar to detect magic in that it wouldn't penetrate the walls (I had thought it took something like a sheet of lead or several feet of stone to block it). And I don't know if detect thoughts would pick up animals. But unless there's a guard hiding in some secret room or something without a mind here, you're all good. Nobody's home.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Orc in the Playground

The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
    Detect Thoughts does indeed penetrate most common barriers. However, he is limited to a 60ft cone. Not sure how much of that would be subtracted for being on the street.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

That's interesting. Detect magic also has the same phase regarding barriers. So I guess my original assertion that it would penetrate into the house with it's relatively thin wooden walls would work? In any event, dalen does detect a moderate aura of magic coming from the carpet in the kitchen, or possibly from underneath the carpet.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

If it's a flying carpet, I call dibs!

If it's a constricting carpet, you guys can fight over it.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Porque no los dos?

It’s a flying carpet, but you’ll be dead when you arrive.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try to aid another on that Perform check (I assume it's acting, not my specialty), mostly for flavor:

(1d20+4)[24]

edit: hot diggity
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-12-13 at 12:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, because it's bound to come up at some point while you're exploring the house with elliana and dalen keeps looking everywhere with detect magic - there is a void in the detect magic anytime elliana wanders into the cone. Not a "no magic" signal but an actual empty void in his field of vision.

Dalen's heard of this, it means elliana has a nondetection spell up. This is very common among the nobility as it makes it more difficult to identify what magical protections they commonly have in place. Dalen can try to push against the magic if he wishes by making a caster level check. It will be decently hard to succeed though, given he has to beat DC 11+caster level of the nondetection, but doable? Success will allow him to see whatever magic elliana has running.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, because it's bound to come up at some point while you're exploring the house with elliana and dalen keeps looking everywhere with detect magic - there is a void in the detect magic anytime elliana wanders into the cone. Not a "no magic" signal but an actual empty void in his field of vision.

Dalen's heard of this, it means elliana has a nondetection spell up. This is very common among the nobility as it makes it more difficult to identify what magical protections they commonly have in place. Dalen can try to push against the magic if he wishes by making a caster level check. It will be decently hard to succeed though, given he has to beat DC 11+caster level of the nondetection, but doable? Success will allow him to see whatever magic elliana has running.
    *Place's bet on it being Gaedren Lamm in disgiuse*

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, that's going to put a real damper on Aliani's libido when he finds *that* out.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

That... yes. Yes it would.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. Foe-yay is also a thing. Admittedly it's usually a disturbing fanfic thing, but it exists!

... This idea is starting to have an appeal. Then again, aliani already has enough rude surprises coming his way soon enough. I suppose I shouldn't make his life any worse.

27. - Top - End - #777

That's interesting. Detect magic also has the same phase regarding barriers. So I guess my original assertion that it would penetrate into the house with it's relatively thin wooden walls would work? In any event, dalen does detect a moderate aura of magic coming from the carpet in the kitchen, or possibly from underneath the carpet.
    Yeah, I must have gotten detect magic confused with another spell that doesn't have this clause. Basically some do and some don't and it's important to remember that divination spells with emanation area of effects do not have "x-ray vision" unless they specifically state so.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    Probably should bite my tongue given my track record with rules on detect magic so far, but I'm pretty sure the caster level check is just automatic (the detect magic spell and nondetection spell are interacting, and the caster level check follows from that interaction). In any case, unless she's some sort of eldritch abomination there's no harm in making the roll: (1d20+3)[19]

Strictly speaking Dalen could just recast detect magic until he succeeded, but honestly he doesn't care enough to do that. Also it's entirely possible she's also under the effect of greater magic aura so even if he does get through the info might be false anyways (layers of defense).
    Last edited by Darvin; 2018-12-15 at 04:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    In any case, unless she's some sort of eldritch abomination there's no harm in making the roll: [roll0]
    Heheheheheheheheheh.

That's a high enough roll to make it, so Dalen gets some useful information. He might wish he hadn't, but fortunately there's no "Stun" clause in Detect Magic the same way there's one for the various Detect Alignment spells.
    I'll make some Knowledge(Arcana) checks for him in the die roller to see if he can identify the various schools of magic for the various auras Elliana has on her.
    I'm a little leery of using Spellcraft to identify the items while they're being worn by another person and Dalen can't reasonably play around with them to help with identification the same way he could use Spellcraft+Detect Magic to identify a sword he picked up off the ground.
    But regardless, he's not going to have enough time (the three rounds for ID) for that anyway.
    We have a combat encounter coming up with my next DM post!
    Thanks for tripping the trap Silas!

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted!
    There is a link to the battle map, which is on imgur.
    Apologies for not just hotlinking the map, but they're turned that off and I haven't found another picture site to host things on at the moment.

As a note, these are animated objects, which means that they have hardness depending on the material they're made out of, and function as constructs for the purposes of spells.
    That *does* mean that they are still sneak-attackable, if Miz can get into position.
    Sadly they do take half energy damage, which is then further reduced by the hardness, so you're going to be pretty heavily relying on Silas and Miz to smash these things for you.
    That also means that they are effectively mindless, although they can still be fooled by illusions, and they have darkvision only so they can be blinded.
    None of the objects actually have faces at this point - I just used cartoon pictures for their avatars on the map because it made me laugh.
    And mine is an evil laugh - now DIE!

Elliana has taken her first round of actions, moving into H11 which will allow Miz to flank the chair by taking a 5' step south if she so wishes.
    She has also activated her bard song, granting everyone (including Silas since Silas can still hear her) +2 to-hit/damage with weapons, and +2 on saves versus Fear/Charm.

Your round of actions!

Aliani and Dalen are *not* grappled, but they have been attacked and each taken 3 HP of damage.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2018-12-15 at 04:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Orc in the Playground

Clip art makes for the most terrifying of enemies.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple