The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1413
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo OOC

Debated between trying to have him drop the weapon, and to run away -- worried/assuming he's got a backup weapon though.
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

He's a magus - if he can't kill you with his sword, he'll kill you with his spells.
    Making him run away (if he fails the Will save, which he *might* - what's the DC?), was the right choice.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre View Post
    He's a magus - if he can't kill you with his sword, he'll kill you with his spells.
    Making him run away (if he fails the Will save, which he *might* - what's the DC?), was the right choice.
    The DC is a meager-ish 14 (1st level, +3 from Wisdom). It's a better shot than charging, I know that much. :)

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it's been about a year in real time since I started this reboot. Figured that was enough time for people to find their footing and have seen enough that y'all can answer some survey questions.
    So, here's your chance to tell me if I'm doing a good or **** job - speak now, or hold your peace until 2020!
    You can post your thoughts here or send me a PM, whichever you're more comfortable with.

Some example questions to get things moving:

What has been your favorite part(s) of the game thus far?

What has been your least favorite part(s) of the game thus far?

How do you feel about the pacing of the game? Should things be going faster, slower, or about the same pace?

Are you happy with the level of player agency in this game? Obviously since this is an adventure path there is a general plot to follow, but if you would like more freedom in deciding what to do I can try to work out alternate routes and/or make the city of Korvosa more of a sandbox.

Are you happy with the level of difficulty? Are things too easy, too difficult, or just about right? Do you feel like your character has the ability to contribute meaningfully in combat?

Is there anything that you would like your PC to accomplish in the near or not-super-distant future? This could be an in-character goal, or something more meta like “I would like to see my character placed in X kind of situation”.

Anything else you want to mention?

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll send a PM also, because a part of this will be character-related and maybe not 100% necessarily needing to be hashed out in the open, and I need to think about them some more.

Regarding the game overall: In all seriousness, and I'm not just saying this to puff you up, this game is the most fun I'm having on the internet right now (not just on this site, which frankly I'd soured on some because every other game I was able to get in seemed to blow up or fade out, and this one that had been going along well ran into the same fate); needless to say I am overall obscenely ridiculously grateful that you took the initiative to pick this up, because I probably wouldn't even be around on here otherwise. We all make lots of characters, and have deeper connections with some than others, if that makes sense; I had a great connection with this one, and having it taken away sucked, and getting it back was... really good for me.

I personally like a pretty fast paced game; in general this has delivered, though I know there are the inevitable slow spots. Basically, I'll say the game couldn't really move too fast for me and leave it at that.

We already have a TON of "loose ends" to cover, enough for a couple more years (yoiks!), which I think overall is good. It feels roughly sandboxy enough given that.

I do hope to make more of an in-game connection with Silas and Miz these next few months -- which probably necessitates some chance to have a longish conversation or some such. I don't want to impose that on you, but I think it would be fun and I hope you would too.

(There's also the whole "not really a bard" thing, which we ought to get taken care of at some point sooner rather than later. Perhaps having a couple of "off days" adventuring-wise would help with that, and tie in to the above too.)

I've been nigh useless in combat, but you don't build a character with a combined +1 in all physical stats and not know that's coming to some degree. Handicapping my spell selection to mostly bard things doesn't help much either.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, here's your chance to tell me if I'm doing a good or **** job - speak now, or hold your peace until 2020!
    Definitely a good job.

What has been your favorite part(s) of the game thus far?
    I do enjoy opportunities to be "clever" even if they don't always work.

What has been your least favorite part(s) of the game thus far?
    The Reefclaw encounter felt drawn out. I reverse-engineered their statblocks because I was curious as to how you were changing things, and I felt you over-did it with the HP bloat. On the other hand, the zombies and skeletons in our most recent encounter were much more reasonable (the battle didn't go on long enough for me to reverse engineer them ).

How do you feel about the pacing of the game? Should things be going faster, slower, or about the same pace?
    Pacing seems about right. PBP is always going to feel a little slow, but that just comes with the territory.

I am getting a little itchy to level up, but I suspect that's more to do with how RP-heavy the first day of the "echo" timeline was, and RP generally doesn't give as much XP as combat encounters. I actually did a rough tally of how much XP we've earned from the campaign thus far, and Andaisin's house ended up being half of all XP earned to date by my estimates

Are you happy with the level of player agency in this game? Obviously since this is an adventure path there is a general plot to follow, but if you would like more freedom in deciding what to do I can try to work out alternate routes and/or make the city of Korvosa more of a sandbox.
    I'm very happy with the adventure thus far. Everyone who signed up for this (whether it was Inspectre era or Shizu era) knew they were getting into an AP and what it entailed. I've been carefully avoiding CotCT spoilers for the past few years, and along with the unpredictability of your modifications I feel like I'm walking in almost completely blind.

Are you happy with the level of difficulty? Are things too easy, too difficult, or just about right? Do you feel like your character has the ability to contribute meaningfully in combat?
    I'm happy with the difficulty; it's very obvious you're not pulling punches with the encounter CR (I think the animated object battle was something like CR 8 lol?), but it's also very obvious we can take it.

Dalen feels fine to play in combat. With the wand as a backstop, I feel that if there's a situation where I can't contribute that it's my own fault.

Is there anything that you would like your PC to accomplish in the near or not-super-distant future? This could be an in-character goal, or something more meta like “I would like to see my character placed in X kind of situation”.
    I'm generally happy with the way things are going and just "progress the narrative" works for me.

Dalen does need to do some shopping, but that's just basic housekeeping.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, yes, shopping. That's a thing. I do have a bit over 1000 gp in hard cash, as do we all I think. We should probably do something about that; the one thing we might be "underpowered" on as far as combat is that we are not at all fully geared up.

The character, I can safely say, has no effin' clue how to spend anywhere near that amount on himself. (I could spend 50k for him much more easily than 1k, though )
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-01-29 at 05:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1028

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    The character, I can safely say, has no effin' clue how to spend anywhere near that amount on himself. (I could spend 50k for him much more easily than 1k, though )
    1K is an awkward number since most non-magical items and consumables are much cheaper than that, and most permanent magic items are much more expensive than that. The items Dalen is saving up for are upgrades to his headband and cloak, and a ring of sustenance. None of those are remotely affordable right now.

Also I forgot Dalen's stealth check so: (1d20+5)[22]
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-01-29 at 06:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Orc in the Playground

Work killing me. Will post tomorrow. Sorry all.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

On another note since it is the one year anniversary and right now would be a pretty easy time to introduce new characters.

Are we still happy with the current party makeup and numbers? I like all the pcs and think the party works well together, and I like four player groups because I don't have to work very hard keeping encounters balanced with expected numbers.

But, I am willing to go up to 5-6 people if there is a general feeling that another 1-2 people would be good to fill in gaps in party capabilities and allow for more intra-party banter. I don't know if it's just been my dming style of throwing non-stop feces into the air circulatory device that there hasn't been a lot of time for banter between PC's, or if this group is just more focused than the previous era's party and perhaps not as disrupted by having rhev puking on everything because he drank too much.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

I would be fine either way on that.

I think what was cool about Version 1 of this (that got me so into it, blah blah) was that we just organically filled in a lot of the banter in the gaps in the DM time that came about, and it just ... worked. It clicked. We cared about each other.

Because you're too damn awesome at posting at a great pace, we HAVE had a lot of stuff thrown at us and haven't really had that down time (either IC or OOC) to get introspective, so I just don't know if that is the reason or not.

What I would say is that if we DO decide to add someone, I would like to be very cautious about who we add in terms of the player, and make sure what we're trying to get by adding someone is what they're looking for, much more so than caring about what their character is.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed and if we were going to recruit anyone else, it would be you guys picking this person out, not me. So there would be at least some conversation about that, possibly even just doing that upfront in the recruitment thread where nobody even posts characters until we've picked who we want. Which would probably be a good way of separating out the people really interested from the people that just throw a character sheet at anything.

Also kudos to everyone for sticking with this game instead of disappearing. It's a thing that happens with pbp quite often, so I really appreciate I started with four players, a year later I still have four players.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2019-01-31 at 11:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Given how a few of my games have gone, I'm very much thinking the same about having one DM for a whole year.

Or a whole month for that matter. Yes, that's happened twice. I spent more time making the character than playing it.

14. - Top - End - #1034

I don't feel there's any value in recruiting more players for the sake of recruiting more players. Our current party composition is good and the players are all active. If there's someone specific that you have in mind that's one thing, but I'd be against any public recruitment. The party's pretty solid as is.

I don't think Dalen and Miz have interacted much (actually I don't think they've spoken to each other at all yet), so that's probably one area that could use addressing in our current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I think what was cool about Version 1 of this (that got me so into it, blah blah) was that we just organically filled in a lot of the banter in the gaps in the DM time that came about, and it just ... worked. It clicked. We cared about each other.
    I think part of it is that the two of us just happened to create characters who were perfect foils for each other. While it's true we played up that chemistry once it became obvious, I think it was good fortune that we both happened to come to the table in a good position to do that.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Dwarf in the Playground

I haven't had an issue with the game at all aside from a couple with myself.

But those are just a habit toward neglecting certain things such as a lack of spell preparedness and that I haven't got around to moving stuff to Dalen's place.

Interaction with Dalen would be good in the future especially since I still haven't inspected the vial of shudder I've been carrying around.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steveodore View Post
    I haven't had an issue with the game at all aside from a couple with myself.

But those are just a habit toward neglecting certain things such as a lack of spell preparedness and that I haven't got around to moving stuff to Dalen's place.

Interaction with Dalen would be good in the future especially since I still haven't inspected the vial of shudder I've been carrying around.
    As far as a place to live, for all of us, I’d sort of envisioned my home (with some nice expensive locks!) being that place. I’d planned to invite miz to use the guest room right away, it having occurred for some reason that living in the sewers must suck.

Dalen’s place became the stop of necessity the first night and we just haven’t had time to reassess that.

17. - Top - End - #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Steveodore View Post
    An academic inquiry relevant to our immediate goals? You have Dalen's full and undivided attention

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Orc in the Playground

To answer direct questions:

Favourite part so far? For Silas, it's either his initial escape with Trinia, or the meeting of his Daughter atop the burning barge where they briefly worked together to free a gaggle of trapped persons.

In general, just the very filling responses you and everyone provides. It's sometimes overwhelming personally as I don't consider myself even remotely well-written, so it provides me a moment to aspire to bettering my style and vision.

This is, by a colossal margin, the funnest, fullest game I have been part of in my years of tabletop RPGs in general. Part of me wishes this was a live game, but honestly the writing is sometimes therapeutic.

Least favourite part so far? In PBP games, it would typically be combat. However, you've managed to address this rather well - sometimes by skipping to the end so it doesn't drag.

My least favourite part was caused by my own lack of knowledge in regards to how magic works in Pathfinder. Upon first interacting with Dalen, he knew immediately that I was attempting to read the minds of a few folks in the room. I was a bit put off by that fact, but, again, that was my own fault. I've since tried to be more informed on Pathfinder Rules, but mistakes still happen, and similar mistakes were/will be accepted as a welcome lesson.

As an aside, Silas' least favourite part is probably our current day. So many vomit scented people and halls really turns his smile upside down.

Pacing? I think I'm okay with the pacing. My posting speed hasn't been perfect for banter, but occasionally I'll find time.

Player Agency? You fill us so well with things to do that I doubt my character would do much more than visit Saldado/Trinia or... work.

Difficulty? Miz allows us a bit more bite while I only have the one attack. The RP elements and puzzles/alternate routes you've provided or improvised have probably kept us alive for longer than we would have otherwise. It does feel like we're all working together to put together a story, even if you're the one with any idea as to what will happen.

To answer the question: I'm happy with the level of challenge, but if you chose at some point to increase the relative difficulty, I wouldn't mind terribly until Silas dies. At that point, I'd have to add a vengeful client of his to the fray.

PC goals? There's the obvious: to see his daughter happy again, even if that means she never forgives him. There's the less obvious: achieve a wide range of new and rich clientele that eventually lands him a cushy life (or a shortcut to that life by saving the city). That, or fulfilling an unexpected vision of happiness that is expressed organically.

The not-so-obvious goal of his, something he doesn't think is possible, I believe we discussed briefly when the game started. I can PM you if you can't recall/find our exchange.

Hmm, I think building a closer relationship with Alliani, Dalen, and Miz would be a goal of his only because they've been working well enough together. It's only been a week or so, but they've learned enough about one another to have bonded at least a little. As long as they all live longer than tomorrow, that should happen in spite of the story.

Recruit more? I'm with Darvin on this.

Anything else? I think I've answered as well as I can so far. The music is fun. Hmm. The brief look into Miz's life in the sewers was a nice touch.

Yeah, so far the game has kept a well and high level of fun. I'm really glad we've yet to lose any players in this reboot. I do yearn to level up, but that's forever in my heart regardless if it's been one year or one minute. I enjoy building characters.

Back in Shizu's game, I read up to the death of Gaedren in the AP as it felt necessary since I joined right after that. However, your changes would rock any meta-gaming off the table. I know exactly two other bits of info about the game from googling unrelated info about Korvosa and its citizens. So far as I know, you've changed both in some way. I've otherwise stayed away from spoilers as Darvin has.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stelio

I don't think Alliani is at all useless in combat. Aside from his enchantments and other spells, the character is a nice moral compass. His passion will probably get us in trouble properly sooner than later, but that's part of the fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shopping

Gotta save up, myself. I feel like I'm doing a poor job keeping track of awarded gold, but I think I'm up to date. Fingers crossed no one robs Silas' house.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like we shall keep our current membership then.

While I have been giving out a fair bit of cash recently, partly that is because as darvin notes, magic items are hard to parcel out in single 1k value amounts, and I figured you all would be a bit cashed strapped from character creation. Going forward I will probably hand out small hoards of magical gear from time to time as I feel like getting stuff in big chunks makes it feel more special. It may make wealth by level feel like more of a stairway than a gentle incline, so please poke me if you feel like you are too far behind the curve.

We're not close to the end of the first book of my version of the ap, which you should hit fourth level just before that. However, I will start thinking about where I can have you guys ding fourth a little ahead of time so you can at least get a taste of leveling up. A lot has certainly happened so far, but fortunately or unfortunately for you all, you have a DM whose ideas tend to come out in a fire hose spray.

As for the reefclaws, yeah they dragged a little long for a pair of cr 1 gribblers. I don't recall doing anything special with them save giving them max hit points, which is around 20 given their two d8 hp. Unfortunately, instead of Miz and Silas chunking one a round as I expected, they had to go and roll like **** for several rounds in a row, leading to them staying up far longer than expected. I think I will ensure my usual policy of only giving Solo or boss monsters max hp so they don't get gibbed instantly is used for the foreseeable future. Which it was for andaisin's house, so maybe that's why those fights went much smoother! : smalltongue:
    And yeah, the animated objects was a 7.5 cr encounter by my count, being worth 4k xp of monster. I wanted it clear Andaisin was one scary lady, and figured you could always jump out a window or just survive for 11 rounds until the spell ran out, much like the elemental. If things do start feeling too difficult though please let me know - I want you to feel challenged as a party but not at the expense of fun.

After elliana is safely back in the castle, we will probably have a couple days of relative down time where various issues such as the orphans, ballerina twins, and grau the drunk guard are wrapped up for now. Everyone will also be getting one or perhaps two plot hooks that the party can choose to follow up on for the next section of plot, so look forward to those!

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

FYI inspectre your PM box is full (or was last night, I haven’t tried this morning).

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

It was. I've cleaned it out a little bit since then. Stupid 100 pm limit. ><

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparent lesson learned: don't heal purely out of spite.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Quote Originally Posted by PiccadillyPi View Post
    My least favourite part was caused by my own lack of knowledge in regards to how magic works in Pathfinder. Upon first interacting with Dalen, he knew immediately that I was attempting to read the minds of a few folks in the room. I was a bit put off by that fact, but, again, that was my own fault. I've since tried to be more informed on Pathfinder Rules, but mistakes still happen, and similar mistakes were/will be accepted as a welcome lesson.
    Believe me, this is going to inconvenience Dalen a lot more than it will inconvenience you over the course of this game, even if Inspectre makes relatively permissive rulings on the edge cases. The interaction between stealth and spellcasting is actually a point of major contention that will create a 200+ post argument if you ask about it on Paizo's forums (I've lurked there, I've seen it), and sooner or later is going to rear its ugly head in this game. Note that the way I've used it in this encounter is non-controversial; there is no question you can cast a spell then subsequently take an action to hide; the point of contention is whether you can hide first and then cast a spell.

It may make wealth by level feel like more of a stairway than a gentle incline, so please poke me if you feel like you are too far behind the curve.
    This shouldn't be a major issue for me. Dalen is mostly saving up for big-ticket items at this point so it doesn't really matter if he gets a gradual drip-feed or big lump sum payments. Learning spells is the only thing I need to space out, since it actually requires a few hours of downtime, but they're a relatively nominal expense.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-02-01 at 01:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Orc in the Playground

Considering the number of rulebooks, I'm not surprised.

As far as cash goes, I'm so used to having no magic gear in 5e that I'm good with my MW gear for at least another level before it might come up as a problem.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

25. - Top - End - #1045

Considering the number of rulebooks, I'm not surprised.
    Actually this is one of the cases where it's the opposite problem. It's the good old "Airbud clause", in that there actually isn't any rule written anywhere in all the myriad published books of Pathfinder that specifically addresses this issue. The arguments just go in circles as a result since there's nothing to grasp at but straws.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted! Figured I'd just move things along, but if you have anything you want to say to either the Hellknights or their prisoners before both skeedaddle out of here, you're welcome to it.
    Next up, Sabrina! Who thanks to Dalen, knows exactly what you've done here more or less, thwarting Elliana's half-hearted attempts at a cover-up.

On the other hand, if things had gone a little less well there, you'd probably be glad to see her as she came and bailed you out of Hellknight jail prior to being executed yourselves.
    Last edited by Inspectre; 2019-02-02 at 10:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

How long would I have "alone" with the prisoners? Even a couple rounds?

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, couple rounds alone, then Miz & Silas show up with the last two.
    Then y'all have a couple minutes with them until it's time to go your separate ways.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Orc in the Playground

Oddly coincidental news:

I was talking to a friend of mine about this game - specifically about our impressive feat of lasting a year without drop-outs. Now, I didn't mention our recent OOC conversations from last week, but, being a fan of Pathfinder, he asked if we had room for a 5th.

I told him I'd ask, but for him not to get his hopes up. To my knowledge, he's an active poster. He is in at least one off-site PbPRPG (Star Trek). I dunno if it wins him any points if he thinks Janeway is the best Captain. She's cool, but Picard is king.

Inspectre, you're the main vote on this. No pressure to add to your load if you feel more comfortable with just the four of us.

Darvin and Stelio, if either of you would prefer a four thing team, I won't begrudge you.

Again, zero pressure. If it's not a unanimous 'yes', we'll carry on as we have.

With that said, I'll abstain from any vote on adding him. Steveodore will too since, y'know, nepotism.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

30. - Top - End - #1050

Darvin and Stelio, if either of you would prefer a four thing team, I won't begrudge you.
    As I said earlier, I'm not necessarily opposed if there's someone specific you have in mind who you can vouch for.