The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1413
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Crimson Echo OOC

There we go, update posted. Perhaps not the best transition I've ever done, but it's something at least so we can keep things moving forward!
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not sure how much remains to be done tonight, but Dalen has stated his highest current priority aloud.

Also I'll be scribing a scroll of invisibility tonight. This takes 2 hours, 75 gp, and Dalen can succeed on the spellcraft check by taking 10. Doesn't have to be right now, just before going to bed.

In other scroll-related news, I do intend to purchase some scrolls of Enlarge Person, Obscuring Mist, and Mount. These are all useful spells to have in scroll form, and since there's a 1-per-day limit on scribing there's no way I'm going to be able to replenish my own stock, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy at full price.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not wrong about what we should do, of course, but won't someone think of the children?
    Currently DMing: Ruins of Azlant IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    Not sure how much remains to be done tonight, but Dalen has stated his highest current priority aloud.

Also I'll be scribing a scroll of invisibility tonight. This takes 2 hours, 75 gp, and Dalen can succeed on the spellcraft check by taking 10. Doesn't have to be right now, just before going to bed.

In other scroll-related news, I do intend to purchase some scrolls of Enlarge Person, Obscuring Mist, and Mount. These are all useful spells to have in scroll form, and since there's a 1-per-day limit on scribing there's no way I'm going to be able to replenish my own stock, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy at full price.
    I could brew a potion of enlarge person at least as I think that's slightly cheaper then full price scrolls. I could also do some alchemy crafting for things.

I forgot to determine something with inspectre, that is if I took the crates I stole from the cart in that earlier encounter.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Orc in the Playground

Right, 'discern secret message' is a sense motive check. Assuming my linguistics check should've been a sense motive check, the result is 25 instead of 24. That's also assuming my ranks in linguistics mean anything for code-breaking.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

6. - Top - End - #1086

Quote Originally Posted by Steveodore View Post
    I could brew a potion of enlarge person at least as I think that's slightly cheaper then full price scrolls. I could also do some alchemy crafting for things.
    A brewed potion has exactly the same cost as a full-priced scroll, so it's really just a matter of who activates it.

Alchemy crafting is incredibly slow. Even with the Swift Alchemy class feature it would take you two days of 8 hour work sessions to make a single dose of alchemist's fire. It's sadly not worth your time.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    A brewed potion has exactly the same cost as a full-priced scroll, so it's really just a matter of who activates it.

Alchemy crafting is incredibly slow. Even with the Swift Alchemy class feature it would take you two days of 8 hour work sessions to make a single dose of alchemist's fire. It's sadly not worth your time.
    Yech, I just revisited crafting rules again.

Don't know if Spontaneous alchemy could be an answer, theres a feat called instant alchemy which could help but I can't determine if it's supported. In any case, thats something to think about at 5th level maybe.
    Last edited by Steveodore; 2019-02-12 at 06:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Orc in the Playground

Both of those are from the Alchemy manual, a Paizo product, so I don't see why we couldn't at least consider them if you want to pursue the craft.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm honestly more intent on investing in combative features in the next couple levels. I was mostly thinking out loud about things I could do to help.

Though I think I'll be periodically popping out cheap potions for my own convenience at least.

Gotta eventually make use of potion glutton sometime.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Orc in the Playground

I'll have to post later tonight. Too much to respond to, and not enough time to do it right away.
    Last edited by PiccadillyPi; 2019-02-13 at 07:30 PM.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll allow it!

If you're wondering what sort of hug you're getting, it's your basic Yogi Berra/Don Larsen hug.

Spoiler: picture
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the fact that alchemists take forever to make alchemical items, even with a class feature called "swift" alchemy, is a damn shame.
    I would be tempted to DM Fiat something or just give Miz the Instant (Spontaneous) Alchemy feat, where it not for the fact that it would be a bit of favoritism, and I'm sure Dalen would be looking at me with puppy dog eyes every time he wanted to make a scroll. Speaking of which, the rule that items less than 250 GP only take 2 hours to make, yet you can still only make one item in a given day is a bit head-scratching as well.
    I guess it's something, but it would almost be an incentive to spend your time crafting 4 level 1 scrolls/potions versus the 1 level 2 scroll/potion you could make in the same time frame (due to a level 2 potion being over that 250 GP cut-off).
    Ah well.

If anyone knows of some magical alchemy bench or something that dramatically speeds up the creation of alchemical items, let me know and I'll see if I can arrange of that to fall into Miz's hands - that at least is reasonably fair for me to provide.

You may take the Instant (Spontaneous) Alchemy feat if you wish, but obviously that is a precious precious feat you are using instead of getting Improved Murder-Death-Kill.

And yes, Miz managed to steal whatever she personally carried off of the alchemy cart, as well as I believe an extra crate that was discovered after the fact to contain 2 vials of Antiplague, and 2 vials of Antitoxin (don't think I ever rolled until tonight what was actually in that crate).

The city, while still suffering from some revolutionary woes, is back to normal enough that prices are mostly returning to normal, and Dalen can easily purchase those scrolls from an Acadamae-related source tomorrow morning in-game. Shops are closed for the evening by this point though, so he will have to wait until then.

And while I'm pretty sure it is Linguistics to decode written stuff that's behind a cipher, whether Linguistics or Sense Motive Silas rolled very, very well. And to my chagrin, you may not need Devargo after all as a result. Although it would take several such checks to decode the entire ledger - Silas basically got the most recent page of entries, which contain some *very* interesting information that is pertinent to the current conversation.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ogre in the Playground

For alchemical items (not potions), there's https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...ter-alchemist/

I know in my group we've house ruled these things such that I don't even remember what's normal any more; if nothing else the "you can only do 1 thing per day even if you can do it in 2 hours" rule strikes me as absurd.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Update posted, although I didn't move things along much for the main group since you still seem to be in the middle of a very interesting conversation.
    One that will probably only get more interesting once Silas shares some of his revelations (about both the ambassador and the handmaiden).

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ogre in the Playground

As a note for deciphering the remaining pages of lamm's ledger, it's a DC 20 linguistics check per page, with each roll being 15 minutes of work (would be DC 25 without access to infernal and celestial, but Silas has you covered there). There are nine pages remaining, which should give you a good list of everyone Lamm has done business with over the last two years. Those are all nicknames though, and not all of them are as obvious as "Urgathoan whore". You can give the deciphered notes to someone connected like devargo or kroft to start identifying people for you, or do some sluething yourselves, which will probably amount to several+ days of making gather information checks, now handled with knowledge local I believe.

You have already gotten the first and perhaps biggest piece of info out of the way thanks to Silas Nat 20ing that check, which is Andaisin paid Lamm a downright stupid amount of money for something in multiple payments over the past six months or so. There's still some more stuff you can find out in there if you want to keep digging.

Other people's side quests will becoming up soon after grau and this unending day are over. Plus an invite back to the castle for queen ileosa to shower you all with gifts for not getting her handmaiden murdered.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

Nittery alert: Gather information is part of Diplomacy, unless I've missed something obscure.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/diplomacy/

I'll get a post up here in a little bit, but I'm not going to be at all useful in the decipherment department.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-02-14 at 01:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1097

Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I would be tempted to DM Fiat something or just give Miz the Instant (Spontaneous) Alchemy feat, where it not for the fact that it would be a bit of favoritism, and I'm sure Dalen would be looking at me with puppy dog eyes every time he wanted to make a scroll.
    I really don't mind and would fully support you houseruling there; the rules for crafting non-magical items are downright draconian, and it doesn't even save that much money anyways. The cost savings will be negligible compared to what we'll be saving from Dalen's Craft Wondrous Item feat.

Speaking of which, the rule that items less than 250 GP only take 2 hours to make, yet you can still only make one item in a given day is a bit head-scratching as well.
    I concur, but it's not like I have the time or spell slots to scribe more than one per day given the current pace of the campaign anyways. If you want to throw me a bone you could lift that rule; in terms of cost-savings Scribe Scroll is saving a pittence compared to Craft Wondrous Items.

Through scroll scribing I've saved probably around 300 gp this campaign. Craft Wondrous Item has saved me 2500 gp so far, not even counting the crafting job Dalen took. In terms of stuff that could seriously upset the party's wealth level, Craft Wondrous Item is the one to keep tabs on.

Speaking of which, Paizo tends to be notoriously stingy with loot drops in its earlier adventure paths (they've gotten better in recent years) so if you are sticking to the normal loot drops of the AP then Dalen's crafting should more or less cancel out.

You may take the Instant (Spontaneous) Alchemy feat if you wish, but obviously that is a precious precious feat you are using instead of getting Improved Murder-Death-Kill.
    Dalen will be taking the very non-murdery Fast Study feat at 5th level to speed up how quickly he can prepare spells from his spellbook. Of course, he's also going to be taking the mind-murdery Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment) feat, since Wizards get two feats at 5th.

As a note for deciphering the remaining pages of lamm's ledger, it's a DC 20 linguistics check per page, with each roll being 15 minutes of work (would be DC 25 without access to infernal and celestial, but Silas has you covered there).
    Dalen is fluent in Celestial and Infernal and has a +12 linguistics check so he can take 10 to whip through each page in 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    Nittery alert: Gather information is part of Diplomacy, unless I've missed something obscure.
    Yes it is.
    Why yes it is.

(Not something you can do in the middle of the night, though, as it involves canvassing the local populace for rumors and information)

Edit: also, can I just say that we have a very interesting mix of languages in this party?
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-02-14 at 02:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks Inspectre for throwing us a bone with that page. Man, I was holding back from getting too excited as I thought the DC would be 25 or 30. Nat 20s only get us so far (barring +18 diplomacy).

I went for what I imagined to be the most romantic languages in Pathfinder. I do plan to pursue further linguistics with Silas, so if anyone has any suggestions for "pretty languages", I'm all ears.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

How a man with your particular skill set doesn’t yet know the “tongue of fire” is an oversight to be corrected. I mean, what lady could resist THAT as a pickup line?

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno. Maybe all the ones that don't want to get burned?

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ogre in the Playground

So it looks like we're splitting the party (muahaha). It sounds like we're planning to somewhat fast forward through drunken Grau when the time comes; just a reminder that I do want to ask him just how it is that he happened to get my address, since I do/did try to make some efforts to maintain my privacy and/or what was so important that it couldn't be handled by finding me at work.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2019-02-14 at 04:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1102

... we could send Rhetoric in Dalen's stead? I don't see this being particularly long, and likely something Dalen would more sit on the sidelines for anyways.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

That’s up to you, he’s your bird!

Be interesting to see who he likes best... ;)

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    How a man with your particular skill set doesn’t yet know the “tongue of fire” is an oversight to be corrected. I mean, what lady could resist THAT as a pickup line?
    Aquan is one of those languages that's great to mention in one-liners, but I've never thought it to sound pleasant.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wonder if I should have picked goblin or gnomish instead of wizard standard dragonic and elven. They just seemed like academy languages.

I picked dwarven and halfling as what I assumed would be underworld languages in Korvosa.

Oh, before I get too attached to an idea. For tumor familiar, would you consider the figment archetype acceptable for it? There's nothing against it in raw that I've found, but reading around some people take issue with it.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

I picked mine based on "I bet these sound really funny when spoken and that would be cool".

27. - Top - End - #1107

Quote Originally Posted by Steveodore View Post
    They just seemed like academy languages.
    At least Dalen has an excuse for having mostly academy languages

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Ogre in the Playground

(I'm talking, but it's mostly to fill time; really I'm ready enough for the Grau update if everyone else is)

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Orc in the Playground

I'm satisfied with where we're at if everyone wants to transition to Grau.
    = ~ Piccadilly Pineapple

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Same here, I'm all ready to mess up a simple escort mission.