New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: City of Sinister Delights IC 3

"Oh ye of little faith. See? I told you we'd be rescued. Now, what do you want to do? This room has barrels of gunpowder and that angel mural, but other than that, no exit I can find, other than going back up. Your call, Sister.""
    "This room thus far has seemed to be safe, from what we have seen the monsters outside do not come in. Let us wait and see if the others come to us for a few minutes, or send another reply, after all if I tell Hannibal I found a big hammer he might come quicker. If they do not come soon though I say we try to make it to the elevator, though we take our time, no unnecessary risks okay?" the old woman says with a smile on her face thinking the others were finally coming to save her. And with their help no doubt they could put an end to all of Cutter's monsters once and for all.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: There is a reason why the Order of the Pale Hand made you its leader.

Unlike your fellow Jasidians, who now rest in the Ruby Sorceress' abode in Ocanthus, you were one of a kind. The complex weavings of the arcane flow through your dead body, pulsating with power that cannot be comprehended by mere minds, as you feel the pain from one of your stitches pull against leathery flesh beneath the folds of your robe and immediately, the unknown hunter becomes assaulted by tiny multicolored skulls, each resembling Wee Jas' holy symbol as they cackle and spin around his body.

The man doesn't even blink- he has resisted the spell utterly- but his ability to hide in shadows has been stopped... at least for awhile.

"Is this the best you have to offer, Jasidian? Considering how easily your cult was routed out, this comes as no surprise whatsoever.""

The man looks at Clarity, still trying to recover from such brutal surprise attack as he deftly moves closer to you, effectively exposing himself to all three of you as he locks eyes on you, with his blazing with purple energy as a a crack from his arm reveals a ghostly chain that wraps around his arm and then sends it hurling at your body, holding you down in place.

"I am not planning on letting you escape...""

That was a powerful spell. Whoever this man is, he is no pushover and is no novice in the arcane arts, as he is able to bypass your innate resistance to spells as the chains wrap around you and create shackles around your neck, wrists and ankles.

Spoiler: Trapped
    Show
    Dimensional Anchor

Clarity looks at the other woman, as she pants heavily and grips her blade, which begins to ignite with golden runes and the blade itself becomes wispy and ethereal as she looks at her long haired sister in arms.

"Lendra, let us take this bastard down! One swift attack. Smite him!!!""

Both women charge in towards the man, who keeps his eyes focused on you as a smug smile crosses his face and as both warrior women leap upon him...

The son of bitch evades every single attack! Not even Clarity, who has used the Wraithstrike spell for maximum efficiency and is calling on the strength of Kord himself has been able to land a single blow as the Hunter merely moves an inch to the left and then to the right, as both blades nearly splinter each other and both warriors look at him, rage in their eyes.

"I may have failed to mention this before to you: I cannot be hurt by crude tactics such as yours. It is clear that you are not even in the same league as I. This ought to come as no surprise, naturally:

I am your superior in every single way.""

Both women look at you as the man calmly cleans his punching dagger.

"Blinding this bastard won't work! You have any other tricks you can pull out of your ass?""

He has show to be...competent. Not incredibly powerful, but those two may not survive a fight against him, even if his ability to hide has been negated.

Map

Round 2

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Jannalor
    ???
    Lendra
    Clarity

Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-05 at 02:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun has no idea of what those Old Treaties might be. Seeing that Travis has no more luck, even when scurrying about in Runestone asking to the librarian. Hmmm. But he does know of one very knowledgeable person versed in arcane lore, too.

"Travis, would you cast a Sending spell for me? Or indicate who could, in Runestone? I could ask my liege, the High Priestess of Wee Jas, about the Old Treaties. She is very learned in arcane matters. If she knows something, I will join her at the Royal Palace while you buy items. Here is the wording of the Sending I would like to see cast: High Priestess, Sharkun here. Met Nana Rose and team of undead hunters, willing to help us after. Currently in Runestone. Know something about Old Treaties?"

If he manages to have his Sending cast, and the answer from the Priestess is a yes, he will head for the Royal Palace to meet her. In case not, he will wait for Travis to be done and then head for the Mercy with him.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Rusty sit on the couch after contacting everyone, Elizabeth included.

To all he speaks, "I'll let you know everything once you're back here, but I guess rescuing Elizabeth is more urgent. How long for you to reach me here? I'll send again to Elizabeth to have her wait for us there, but we cant have her wait too long or we might rescue a dead corpse instead. You can meet me at the Coffee".

He wait for them to give a time estimative and then look to Corwin, "Grounded for security, much like Sasha. Can you send Elizabeth another Sending? And... Do you inow of anything about Old Treatises? I know some files mention them".

Spoiler: Sending
    Show
    Wait somewhere safe and leave the lift in the Solarium. Party is split and will take two hours to reach Solarium plus 20 minute ride".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor narrows his eyes with some concern. A combination of martial skills like those, as well as such potent spellcasting, is a rare thing.

"Tell me, from whom did you receive your training? No group I know of is known for all of the abilities displayed here taken together."

He punctuates this last word with a sparkling beam of light from his finger, which seeks to strike the assailant.

If it strikes, he states, "That weakened him, try physically pinning him in place." If the man dodges it as he did the warrior's strikes, he will instead call out, "I suggest falling back to the entry, I am not prepared for this foe."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ray of Enfeeblement, ranged touch, no save, 1d6+4 strength penalty
    (1d20+11)[26]
    (1d6+4)[10]
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-05 at 10:24 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis tells Sharkun "Our ally Corwin may be able to do the sending."

He tells Rusty "Please ask Corwin to Send to the High Priestess of Wee Jas if he can. A message on behalf of Sharkun: 'High Priestess, Sharkun here. Met Nana Rose and team of undead hunters, willing to help us after. Currently in Runestone. Know something about Old Treatises?"'
    Last edited by kinem; 2018-02-05 at 12:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: You relay all necessary information to Travis, way back in Runestone and then ask Corwin for yet another Sending to Elizabeth, while also asking him if he knows about the Treatises.

"I can relay the message to your friend in Specimen Storage, Hannibal, but regarding the Treatises, other than what you and I have read, there is nothing else to go by. It would seem this information was intentionally erased.

And tell Travis I cannot send to the High Priestess- I do not know her and have nothing to go by, but I will contact your old friend.""

@Elizabeth:
    Whether you decide to stay put in this area or choose to go about with Celaena to explore the rest of this place, you get yet another sting in the back of your head as hannibal's friend contacts you again:

Wait somewhere safe and leave the lift in the Solarium. Party is split and will take two hours to reach Solarium plus 20 minute ride.

Great. Now you have to work your way back to the very first area and send them the damn lift. The trek there is hardly safe: there are still many of Cutter's creations prowling the dark cells.

@Jannalor: This is not a normal foe, that much is clear. A combined attack from those two paladins should have obliterated him...and yet he has managed to avoid every single attack. Time to go on the offensive, as you cause the stitchings on your body to tug at your dead flesh and a green ray shoots from your mask aimed straight at your assailant...

And normally, it would have struck, except this one bounces off inches away from his body. This bastard has a lot of protections on him. He did not come unprepared.

"It is clear that no group you would know would have my training, Jasidian. I already told you: I am here to see the fruits of my labor finished and I cannot allow you people to get in the way.""

And having said that, the man looks at both Clarity and Lendra and kicks one in the face so as to stun her if only for a second as he performs an athletic barrel roll and lands right in front of you.

"Dead is dead, Jasidian...""

Just being close to this guy is enough to send you warning flags all over. This guy is trained to bring down spell casters and as his punching dagger embeds itself into your stomach, you can tell fighting him right now is rather unwise. That blade was forged in magic, overcoming your unnatural defenses!

Spoiler: Punching Dagger
    Show
    19 damage plus 6 mage bane

Both Clarity and Lendra rush towards him, blades inflamed as one of them attempts the Wraithstrike spell again, but like last time, this assassin manages to sidestep both easily as Lendra looks at the grates, which are shut.

"I don't have a way to get out of this place!""

Clarity looks at her boots as the man smiles smugly at the situation.

"I can get myself out, but that wasn't my plan!""

Map

Round 3

Show
    Jannalor
    ???
    Lendra
    Clarity
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-05 at 08:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Whether you decide to stay put in this area or choose to go about with Celaena to explore the rest of this place, you get yet another sting in the back of your head as hannibal's friend contacts you again:

Wait somewhere safe and leave the lift in the Solarium. Party is split and will take two hours to reach Solarium plus 20 minute ride.

Great. Now you have to work your way back to the very first area and send them the damn lift. The trek there is hardly safe: there are still many of Cutter's creations prowling the dark cells.
    "Tell Hannibal I found a hammer with a wand chamber in it, to big for me to use,but maybe he can." she says before looking to Celaena. "It seems it will take them about two and a half hours to get here, and even than they have to fight the damn frogs again to get here. I think our best bet is to get to the top level, take out whatever we think we can along the way, and wait for reinforcements for the rest. Once they are here I will ask them to return you to the outside world if you wish, but I can not leave until my mistress is safe." Sister Elizabeth says to Celaena as she begins making her way to the next floor where they had left all the items the day before in the hopes they were still there.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Celanea and you start ascending the stairs and leaving the fountain area as you let her now your choices.

"Two hours in this place might as well be an eternity, Sister. And you say there is no escape? I beg to differ:

After that feast, I feel completely renewed. If we leave through that elevator you mentioned, we can find our way around this complex. Any walls we find, I can take them down. Don't you worry.

And you have my word we will find your mistress. We will rescue her too.""

And so, both go up the spiral stairs and ascend to the previously half way explored prison area and head back to your precious cache. The distant screeches of unseen creatures echo through the vast complex while Celaena walks behind you, spear in hand.

"If we are to get the items found in the Bandersnatch lair, let me keep guard out here, just in case. I don't like those sounds.""

The four metal caskets are still here, of course. It was a grueling fight, but without Celaena, you would not have been able to finish them off. Good thing they are gone and... crap.

All the items found in this room. all those neither of you could carry... gone! Someone took them, but how? You were only in a different area of the dungeon, sleeping it off for seven hours! That's just impossible!

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Roll a Spot & Listen

@Rusty: Corwin begins working on the Amaneunsis wand and mentions casually as he picks up the first sheet of many to copy down the files.

"Your old friend down in specimen Storage; she says she found a Hammer with a wand chamber in it. She couldn't carry it, apparently. Ring any bells?""

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis tells Sharkun "My ally can't contact your Priestess as he doesn't know her. It's best we head to the Mercy now."

When they're ready, he'll hail a cab for the two of them to go to the Mercy, and they will go to the Bitter Coffee to meet Rusty.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor steps back and casts another spell, hoping to bind his assailant. At this point he hardly expects it to work, but with options running out...

If the man somehow shrugs this off as well, he'll call to the others, "Your blades are useless here, if there is nothing else, both of you just go for the gate, we'll figure it out."

Show
    DC 18 on Hold Person. Five footing out of his reach before casting. I'm expecting it to work even less than Jann, but its worth a shot
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-05 at 08:41 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun nods. "Well, thank you for conveying my message anyway. Alright, I follow you, let us go to the Bitter Coffee. Can you just help me don my armor? I don't want to move without in in the Mercy."

Sharkun removes his fullplate from his haversack, as well as his guisarme. He explains Travis how to help him wear the armor.
    "I removed it in order not to cover it with celestial monkey poop. Celestial monkey poop. He. Call me a hairless toddler if you want, but I find this expression to be irresistibly funny." Sharkun does his best to keep his serious and not appear a five-year-old child.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

“I agree, best to stay mobile for now and try to make it to the elevator while we wait for them, though once we collect everything I suspect we will be moving much slower than even we are now.” Sister Elizabeth points out listening intently to Celaena’s idea on how to get out. “Comendible, however say you do succeed in your task and blast a hole for us to escape through, that means the monsters are no longer contained within this manor and free to terrorize those that live in Hope’s Caress.” the old woman points out, not wanting the poor innocent people of Hope’s Caress to have to deal with Dr. Cutter’s monsters. “As for the elevator, the others want us to leave it at another floor, though I don’t know how it got there as the last time I checked it was still here.” she explains as she casts one of her longer spells upon her to try and keep back the monsters that roamed these halls.

“Smart idea, let us hope we hid everything well enough so that it is all still there.” the old woman states before going into the room and looking in the metal canister that once held one of the bandersnatches. “Celaena its all gone, everything we left here is missing.” Sister Elizabeth calls out softly to her friend as she looks around and tries listening for any signs of what may have happened over the commotion of the monsters on this floor.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Earlier spell Magic Circle Against Evil
    Listen (1d20+6)[14]
    Spot (1d20+6)[26]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: Sensing that this man is dangerous to have around while you cast, you step back a few feet and ask Wee Jas to bestow upon you the ability hold this killer down in place, cement his feet to the ground and so, make him an easy target for the two warriors. This spell ought to bring down any man, no matter how strong.

Except... this is no man. This assassin has not even bothered to resist the spell! What exactly are you fighting against?

"Such use of power is terribly misplaced in creatures as lowly as you, Jasidian. In order to use Power correctly, you must wield it like so...""

And having said that, the assassin becomes a sparkling shadow and appears right next to you, as a sinister smile draws upon his lips and he looks at you from the corner of his eye, which casts off a purple light, which begins to intensify and then you look down at his hand, aimed straight at your ribs.

It's a small sphere, the same color as his eyes, but it begins to swell in size before it consumes your entire being and a massive arcane explosion strikes half of your body.

Spoiler: Orb of Force
    Show
    33 damage

Clarity and Lendra are about to charge him again, when the entire complex begins to rumble and a ferocious presence can be sensed through your divinations, causing the pools of blood to shake violently as steam rises from them and the hat wearing bastard looks around, a smug smile on his face.

"Bharthran may be gone, but his legacy remains. I do not soil my hands with lowly creatures such as you three. The grates are shut. Those that could escape cannot...

And so, my task is done. I did mention there would not be anything left to mourn from any of you. It will make sure of that. See you around...""

And having said that, the man tilts his head back as powerful arcane energies swell around him and his entire body begins to unmake. This son of a bitch is using the Celerity spell?!

And as his form disappears, by virtue of a Teleport spell, you can all hear his final taunt:

... or maybe not.

The pools of blood rise in geysers around the room as Lendra grips her blade and looks around.

"That's what we felt earlier... Crimson Heads?""

And then, a massive wave of blood washes onto the ground, not too far from all three as it takes on a most disturbing form:

It's blood that has somehow assumed sentience...and malice. A dozen or more souls can be observed forming and receding into the gigantic twenty foot tall mass as fiery belches erupt here and there.

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge Dungeoneering (Trained only)

Lendra watches the man escape and looks up at the beast.

"I don't know what it is, but it's DEAD!""

And as the paladin of Trithereon charges the creature, Clarity's eyes widen in fear.

"Don't attack it directly, Lendra! That's Ukobach! I thought the others disposed of it, though... watch out!""

Lendra strikes the creature with her blade, a solid slash, but as the many faces wail in pain, the young warrior becomes engulfed in fire as she nearly falls lifeless on the ground.

"Why didn't you tell me that earlier? This bastard is easier to hit than the other guy, but I can't bring it down by myself!""

Clarity takes a step back and opens her palm, blowing into it a few minuscule ice shards that turn into an ice sphere.

"This bastard can sear us up if we aren't careful. If you have ranged weapons, use them. I will try to bring it down from a distance. Watch its reach.""

And so, Clarity hurls the tiny white bluish orb at the creature, causing a portion of its body to become frozen as the faces wail in agony and recede in fear.

Spoiler: Clarity's Spell
    Show
    Lesser Orb of Cold

It hurt it. More than usual, given that it is boiling blood... but dead? Not even close.

Map

Round 4

Show
    Jannalor
    Clarity
    Lendra
    Ukobach

@Elizabeth: Celaena walks behind you, spear and spell ever ready if something were to jump out at both of you.

"if we both carry the stuff and stash it while we blast those things dead, the trip back should not be so arduous. I am not that weak, Sister. I should be able to carry the heaviest items with me.

As for letting Cutter's abominations lose, that's why we are going to perform a clean sweep of this place, right? By the time I blast apart whatever blocks our exit, there won't be any monsters left to harass us or anyone in The Mercy... or Hope''s caress, as you call it.""

But as you head back to your hidden cache of weapons and other valuables, these are gone. Dammit. Who would take these? You nearly died earning this stuff and if the team does fulfill their promise to come back here, there won't be anything useful for them.

You can hear Celaena at the door, keeping watch.

"I wasted a lot of spells to bring those hulking brutes down! Hell, we were both tossed around like...""

A lot like what?

Celaena?

Celaena... you there?

And when you turn around, you do notice something. Something quite evident to your trained eye:

Celaena is gone!

Map

@Travis: With several items of unfathomable power to your name, you head back to the Naruil building and help the dwarf put on his armor.

You have seen warriors help each other in these tasks. You are no warrior. Your spells allow you to emulate a weightless and just as efficient suit like the one Sharkun wears and after a few minutes, you tighten the leather straps on his back and spaulders and with guisarme in hand, both of you head outside the great Gates of Runestone.

Who knows if you will see this place again. Last time you came here, you were DOA. Rusty better have a plan to rescue Elizabeth and find out what the hell is happening in that mad house. Each day you take to prepare, is one day Alexia uses the same tactic. Which would be rather logical for anyone, let alone Halmathan's Brightest Mind.

Now, you could teleport to The Mercy. Hell, maybe even make it to Ross' hideout, but the Hammer Man told you that they weren't too happy with you.

And although you could evade pretty much anything they threw at you, they have a cleric of Olidammara in there. Even with a stump for a hand, the guy is not one you'd want to fight in the purposefully dimly lit Den.

Then there's Sasha, the Crimson Tigress. Seti fought alongside her in the Ludus Magnus and although Bharthran managed to kill her, she was devastating in combat. That woman is a killer through and through. Stealth is the name of the game for her.

And kukris. Very sharp, very deadly kukris.

Drakan is a drunken fool and could easily be taken down. He'd probably be too drunk to be a threat really.

Then there's Corwin. The Halmathan reporter is well versed in a lot of arcane tricks, mostly those that muddle the mind... and those are the ones you have heard about.

Which leaves Rusty and his new Hammer.

You could probably take on Rusty single handedly. he's slow in that armor. It was the main reason for dying against Finney several days ago. But who knows what tricks he may have up his spiked sleeve. That guy's biggest asset is fooling the rest into believing he's just a dumb brute warrior.

But let us perish the thought of taking down the last Olidammaran bastion in the City as you hail a cab to the Mercy or as close as possible.

Hopefully nobody's using the amulet by now, since traffic alone extends the ride to an hour and a half, costing you a hefty ten gold as the vehicle stops a few blocks away and both have to go through the many check points, with the smell of charred bodies from the night prior still lingering around, never mind the human pyre where thirty souls were laid to rest.

The Eye in the Sky hovers above all, ever watching and who knows...maybe even listening.

@Sharkun: Cleaning Celestial Monkey Poop... what would the High priestess say? She is always so calm and stern, true to her position in the church and following in Wee Jas' steps. But she is known to having a sense of humor and the gods knows she could use some of it now, as you walk back to the derelict district, filled with stagnant and offensive smells from towers of garbage and waste, both human and animal as the wizard leads you expertly back to the Bitter Coffee, which has patrons, but not that many.

It isn't that late yet and come sundown, everyone who works in the City and lives here, will be flocking in for an after hours drink.

Nana Rose looks at you and then at Travis and simply nods as both grab a table and the old gnome sends a young lad dressed in light armor and bearing blades for defense- in this place you can never be too safe, even in her own pub- as he looks at both and gestures at the bar.

"What will you be having?""
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-06 at 12:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

"A big hammer?", Hannibal ask and smile, "Tell her daddy is coming".

He get up, crack his neck and bid everyone goodbye.
    "I'll go fetch the guys and go for it once more. Earlier than I thought, but going anyway", he leave for the Bitter Coffee humming an old song and with hammer hoisted in his shoulder. The time to bash things in the head is approaching again.

Once at the Bitter Coffee, he take a look around trying to figure out where the camera that was spying on the pub was, before offering a finger and walking inside.

"Okay guys", he says as they come into sight, "I can explain everything once we get there. Be ready to fight underwater as we may face those toads again. Cast your spells, say your prayers and let's go", he then looks to Travis, "Whenever you're ready".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor flashes the stern lady's symbol in Lendra's direction as some of her burns ease. "I have little healing on hand, make the most of it!"

He casts a more complex spell, one meant to bolster the fighting ability of the others as he steps back next to Clarity, saying to her, "If I can break the chains placed on me, I can get us all out of here, but we must be next to the gate to pass through, and I only have the one dispel attempt prepared right now. This creature, is it weak to anything other than cold? Is it a construct or a reanimated?"

Show
    Close wounds for (2d4)[4] healing on Lendra as a swift action
    Mass Aid for +1 attack and VS fear saves to all, along with (1d8+8)[14] temp hp
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-06 at 12:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Few things give you so much pleasure as hearing that The Hammer has been found. Daddy's coming. Let's just hope he doesn't get jealous given the cheap knock off you hoist over your shoulder.

Who knows how things will end up this time, as Sasha reads the cook book up in the chandelier and Corwin is busy transcribing the many files. Alexia is going to get it, but not before those damn frogs in the Solarium...

And then there's Elizabeth... perhaps being useful for inly time in her old crazy life, since she has your Hammer. You find the hag, and Daddy's happy again, as you hum a song all the way to the Bitter Coffee with Raikou silently tagging along with Cyrus as you enter the pub and Nana smiles from the counter and waves at you, happy to see your face around here.

But not before stopping outside the Bitter Coffee and looking around for any kind of camera before giving it the finger. Let Alexia know what;s in store for her.

Travis and Sharkun are already seated as you grab a chair and place the hammer next to you, causing more than a few patrons to scoot their hairs a tad away. Who wants to get hit by such a maul, anyways?

And then, with four out of five reunited, you inform the group that break's over:

You are all going down there and are going to end every single last Gamma swimming in that pool. Down to the last freaking tadpole. Chances are some will be dragged below into the pool. Others might be swallowed.

But that will not matter in the end: you are here to kill monsters.

And there's a lot of monsters that need killing.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: Who knows what this thing is, but it's big and can burn things by merely being hit.

Although Lendra and Clarity were at first willing to bring you down- a laughable idea- a far worse enemy has gotten the jump on you and now that you are locked down, you only have one chance to escape this blood filled tomb as the symbol of Wee Jas burns with crimson light and Lendra's wounds are sealed, if only slightly, having her give you a nod of approval as she looks at the monstrous fiery sludge and moves back, getting brutally slammed in the process, along with some fiery wounds to go along with it.

You move back as well, not risking being slammed by Ukobach and set in motion one of your most powerful spells to aid both warriors.

Given your nature, you will not benefit from this Enchantment. Lendra, having trained even more so than Clarity as a paladin of Freedom is likewise unaffected, leaving the Sorcadin as only true recipient.

And yet, that doesn't deter the warrior of Trithereon, as she reaches you and Clarity and drops her blade on the stone floor and activates her belt, which blazes with three gems and immediately sets about drawing her bow and arrow.

"Enough of this overgrown blood stain. Let's see how much it likes these!""

It's two well placed arrows that strike Ukobach and cause it to gurgle and belch in pain and anger.

Clarity looks at Ukobach as she shuts her eyes and intones a spell of her own, causing all three to become that much nimbler.

Spoiler: Clarity's Rush
    Show
    Haste: +1 to attack rolls, AC and Reflex saves. +30 to base speed

"I... honestly do not know. This thing had undead in its midst when I faced Bharthran with the others, but I got a sound thrashing from that Necromancer. If it's an undead, I haven;t been around long enough to find out...""

And given that, Clarity moves further away from the group and Ukobach.

"Just keep your distance from that thing! We don't know what else it can do!"

And then the monstrous sludge of blood and flame slithers rather fast towards you and Lendra, who has just finished peppering it with arrows as it looms over both and all the contorted faces look at both, smiling and dissolving at the same time while immense heat radiates from this creature and a fiery explosion, both you and Lendra are caught in an Inferno extending ten feet around the massive beast.

Spoiler: Flame Burst
    Show
    26 fire damage. Reflex DC 23 for half

Lendra manages to resist most of the damage, but she should not get confident by being so close.

"Is that... is that the best you got?!"

You need to find a way to put this thing down, otherwise, it won't let any of you three escape!

Map

Round 5

Show
    Jannalor
    Clarity
    Lendra
    Ukobach
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-06 at 02:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

“This is one floor of many Celaena, back when the Ashford Manor was in its prime it housed I believe anywhere from five to ten floors, it's been so long since I have walked all the halls, and given my age I sadly can not remember the exact number. But yes that is my plan and with luck the others will agree to help now that we know they are still alive.” the priestess of Zodal nods in agreement to Celaena’s observation.

“As to this Mercy place, I have never heard of it before until I first meet Hannibal, and now here with you. What is this Mercy you all speak of as if it were our home or something?”
    Sister Elizabeth asks as the two walk down the corridors.

“Well one of the files did say that one of the creations down here was a thief” Sister Elizabeth says turning around to finish Celaena’s comment, however looking back she notices the woman is gone. “Celanea are you still there?” the old woman calls out, slowly making her way out of the room and looking around for her friend.

Show

As I am decently sure I am going to need to roll this initiative (1d20-2)[2]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello Nana", greets Sharkun with a smile when he enters the Bitter Coffee. "Still no tea in store? I will take some your ale, then." Rusty and Raikou then join them.

"Hello Rusty, hello Raikou." He then closes in and lowers his voice very much. "What now? What creatures are we going to fight? Not the infestation of undead, right? We are going to fight that Alexia, is that it? Where to? Underwater? We are going to teleport there, right now? Let me prepare for an upcoming fight. I won't cast anti-undead spells, then."

If Sharkun is confirmed that they will plunge right into battle, he will cast a number of spells on the group and himself, and briefly meditate to prepare his combat abilities.

Show

Swap the restful crystal on his armor for the lesser ironward diamond: DR 3/- until 30 damage has been prevented for the day.
    Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear for all for 9 minutes.
    Mass Conviction: +3 morale bonus on all saving throws for all for 90 minutes.
    Use Wand of Clear Mind: +4 sacred bonus to saves against mind-affecting effects on Sharkun for 10 minutes.
    Drink Elixir of Swimming: +10 competence bonus to swim checks for 1 hour.
    Use Wand of Silverbeard: +2 sacred bonus to AC and diplomacy against dwarves for 1 minute.
    Use Wand of Shield: +4 shield bonus to AC for 1 minute.
    Use Wand of Enlarge Person: grow to Large size, +2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, reach increased to 10ft (so 20ft with the guisarme) for 1 minute.
    At this moment: Silverbeard, 8 rounds remaining, Shield, 9 rounds remaining.

Swap active stance for Iron Guard's Glare: all foes that Sharkun threatens suffer a -4 to attack rolls on all other people than Sharkun himself.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor calls out as he retreats towards the gate, "Step well away from it, and I can hold it at bay for a time! Enough for regroup and recovery."

He waits for a moment to see if they actually listen to him, then either envelops the creature in a thick slurry of fog, or fires a shaft of light at the thing.

Show
    Delaying turn until after that of the two paladins but before the Ukobach.
    Moving 60' to the gate, just risking the AOO.
    If the others have moved at least 15' away from the damn thing, enveloping it in a Solid Fog
    If they have not, firing off a Searing Light, which might at least tell me what category this bugger belongs to, since damage is highly type dependent.
    If Construct (4d6)[8]
    If Undead (8d6)[28]
    If light sensitive undead (8d8)[37]
    If anything else (4d8)[16]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Hold your horses though", Hannibal says, "We'll need an hour preparation for the Horn of Plenty. And yes, although we might rush into battle, a giant Sharkun wont fit the lift nor will be able to be teleported there".

If they all agree, he'll ask Raikou to use the Heroes's Feast for all five of them, sparing the other seven meals for whoever Nana pick (the ones guarding the Bitter Coffee taking preference).

Spoiler: Heroes' Feast
    Show
    Everyone get (1d8+6)[11] temporary hp, immunity to fear and poison.

"I believe Cyrus might need to wait for us here, so that makes four people", he look at everyone, "Now you can buff, but leave Enlarge Person for when we get there".

Spoiler: Puppet Halfling
    Show
    Since Darwin asked, I'll puppet Raikou for a few days.

His preparation spells will be:

heart of water cl 10
    mage armor cl 8
    false life cl 8
    dragonskin (green) cl 9
    (already listed in his sheet)

Spoiler: Rusty's Preparation
    Show
    Stance of the Wolverine
    Eternal Wand of Heroics: getting Improved Critical (Heavy Hammer) 30 mins
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-02-06 at 02:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Where did Celaena go off to? She's not the kind that would abandon you here, as you walk out the Bandersnatch Room and it becomes clear that you aren't alone, as several gangly hideous creatures screech in your direction:

By Zodal... what on this good green earth has Cutter made this time?!

Spoiler: The Check
    Show

Knowledge Dungeoneering to ID it

Nasty horrible creatures, as tall as a hunched man, but a mismatch of human waste and bugs and pincers all put together as their skull faces screech in your direction and they move in to the attack.

Round 1

Celaena couldn't have gone too far. Trails of blood head deeper towards the complex, but not the lift used to descend. It must be her, but before that, you need to put down these monsters!

And not an easy task it will be, as all three creeps screech loudly and one charges towards you, wicked claws extended as it pounces upon you.

Thanks to the armor and your own spells, you are able to dodge one of the claw swipes, but the other one catches you right in the kidney.

Spoiler: Claw Crit!
    Show
    12 damage

The other one runs across the railing with amazing speed and nimbleness as it leaps upon your back, slashing you once.

Spoiler: Claw
    Show
    7 damage

It's the third one, however, that takes advantage of the situation as it rushes towards you and catches your blind spot, as both claws dog deep and the beast starts clawing himself upon your chest, digging deep and never intent on letting go!

Spoiler: Claw
    Show

4 damage

Spoiler: Claw Crit!
    Show
    18 damage plus Improved Grab DC 17

Damn bastards are annoying more than anything, but if you let down your guard, even for a second...

Map

Show
    Chimera x3
    Elizabeth

@Jannalor: How to bring down a beast like this?

Maybe not now, but you can definitely slow it, as you advice the lady warriors on the best course of action and head towards the grate, incurring Ukobach's wrath as it punishes you with a fiery pseudopod.

Spoiler: AoO Slam
    Show
    18 damage plus 7 fire damage

Clarity doesn't need to be told twice as she sprints away from the creature and looks at Lendra.

"I'll buy you a sword later! Just run!!!""

Clarity makes a mad dash towards the grate and in a blue flash, reappears on the other side, turning around to look at both as Lendra curses at the beast and runs past it, bow in hand as she stops deda in her tracks and turns around to look at Ukobach, whose many sludge faces belch fire in your direction.

And it is at that moment, that yet another of your arcane stitches pierces your undead flesh from beneath your robes and cracks on the stone floor around the immense blood puddle release a gout of fresh billowy steam that turns into a thick slogging fog, obscuring sight from you to him and hopefully vice versa.

The fog may be almost as hard as a wall... almost.

Ukobach is slowly moving away from it and in a few seconds, its immense mass shall be out completely.

Round 6

Lendra rattles the grates and looks at Clarity.

"Tell Vargas that I... well, that I did my best and...""

Clarity smiles and begins taking off her anklet.

"I told you I wasn't planning on leaving alone. You can tell him yourself when we go see him. There is enough power left here for one more use."

Clarity tosses the anklet through the grate, landing between you and the warrior of Trithereon, as Lendra looks at the Solid Fog and hears the belching sludging sounds from Ukobach while looking back at her friend and speaking in Celestial, hoping you wouldn't understand.

"What about the Masked One?""

"Haven't thought that far ahead, to be honest. Get your ass over to this side and we'll figure something out.""

Map

Show
    Jannalor
    Clarity
    Lendra
    Ukobach
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-06 at 03:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor responds in Celestial, "Pick it up and use it paladin. I have my own, and another spell that would do the trick besides. The only thing preventing my exit is the spell he hit me with. If this does not work, I would appreciate alternatives."

Scoping out the chains binding him, Jannalor attempts to sever their connection to the weave. If it works, he will pop to the other side using his anklet

Show
    Dispel magic attempt DC 11+casterlevel
    (1d20+12)[32] (I get a +4 to this from Inquisitor)
    Nice, I assume that did the trick, but I'll hold for the moment just in case.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-06 at 05:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

As the creatures begin attacking the poor old priestess of Zodal she calls upon her lords grace to close some of her wounds, knowing if she were to fall Celaena would no doubt die down here with her.

Spoiler: Immediate action
    Show
    Close wounds (1d4+19)[21]

However soon after she is grabbed by one of these beasts and try as she might the old woman can not for the life of her get free as she spends her entire turn trying to escape the creatures grasp.

Spoiler: Her turn
    Show

As the grapple check was to see if she was grappled before this one is to break free vs it trying to hold her (1d20+1)[16]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"All right", says Sharkun. Following Rusty's instructions, he prepares his buffing routine except for the Enlarge Person spell.

Spoiler: Buffs
    Show

Swap the restful crystal on his armor for the lesser ironward diamond: DR 3/- until 30 damage has been prevented for the day.
    Bless: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear for all for 9 minutes, CL 9
    Mass Conviction: +3 morale bonus on all saving throws for all for 90 minutes, CL 9
    Use Wand of Clear Mind: +4 sacred bonus to saves against mind-affecting effects on Sharkun for 10 minutes, CL 1
    Drink Elixir of Swimming: +10 competence bonus to swim checks for 1 hour.
    Use Wand of Silverbeard: +2 sacred bonus to AC and diplomacy against dwarves for 1 minute, CL 1
    Use Wand of Shield: +4 shield bonus to AC for 1 minute, CL 1
    At this moment: Silverbeard, 9 rounds remaining, Shield, 10 rounds remaining.

Swap active stance for Iron Guard's Glare: all foes that Sharkun threatens suffer a -4 to attack rolls on all other people than Sharkun himself.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis tells Nana "Good morning to you. Coffee, please."

When Rusty and Raikou come Travis replies "Hi guys. It'll be high time that you did explain, Rusty.

Fight underwater? You must be kidding. I don't have a water breathing spell prepared, nor do I know that spell. Mind you, I would have learned it if only we had a couple days to prepare like you said yesterday. I bought a scroll for that purpose, and spent all the rest on a few other things. I guess I could sacrifice the scroll and cast from it if need be, but that's a one-time thing and I can't even afford a replacement scroll right now. I'll only do that if we're sure we need it.

Remember, killing monsters is not our goal. It's something we'll do if required to protect ourselves, but if we can bypass them, so much the better."

After the feast Travis says "That was good. Time to prepare ... Don't laugh if I take a cue from Raikou. There can be advantages to presenting a smaller target."

Spoiler: Buffs
    Show

Greater mage armor: +6 AC, 10 hr
    Heart of earth: 10 hrs
    See invisibility: 100 min
    Tremorsense: 100 min
    Alter Self (troglodyte): 100 min; +6 natural armor, +4 hide
    Dragonskin: 100 min; black; +4 natural armor, acid resist 10
    Wand of heroics: Improved Initiative (30 min)
    Wand of heroics: Improved Toughness (30 min)
    Shield: 10 min, +4 AC
    Reduce person: 10 min, +2 dex, +1 size AC & to hit, -4 grapple

As part of the preparations, Travis taps himself with a wand twice, and he also taps Raikou once with it.

Spoiler: Raikou
    Show
    Wand of heroics: Improved Toughness (30 min)

Finally when everyone is ready, he attempts to teleport the group to where Rusty requested.

ooc: Teleport (1d100)[10]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Once again Sister Elizabeth struggles to break free to no avail as the creatures descend upon her almost lifeless body. With the last amount of her strength she tries to heal herself once more, knowing that if she didn't escape soon she was dead. And even if she did escape, the chances of her surviving and saving Celaena were dropping by the second.

Spoiler: Last ditch effort
    Show

Swift action to activate all three charges from my ring of mystic healing (4d6)[8]
    Immediate action Close wounds (my last one) (1d4+19)[22]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: Lendra looks at you as Ukobach begins to slither out of the fog and then looks at Clarity, who nods and replies in Celestial.

"Do it. We can help him from this side a lot more.""

The warrior of Trithereon dons the anklet and in a green swoosh, disappears and reappears on the other side of the grate as you watch the enormous blood sludge belching fire from within the thick mist you conjured. It won't be long before it escapes and the other two won't have a way to assist.

Calling on the power of Wee Jas, you cause an emerald light to glow around your body as mighty clippers snap away the shackles that hold you and as Ukobach moves out of the fog and the two warriors attempt to lift the grate using all their strength, one of your many stitches is put to work as it tugs at your body and by taking a single step forward, you appear several feet behind both as Time & Space are broken to your will.

Both Clarity and Lendra look at each other and quickly sprint up the stairs as Ukobach's belching can be heard in the bowels of the Ludus Magnus and all three exit the once grand colosseum.

Lendra catches her breath and looks behind at the imposing structure as she sits on a piece of rubble.

Clarity looks at the grey skies and whistles, as a large magnificent winged creature alights a few feet away:

"Larry, my beloved familiar... you didn't fly too far, I hope? How are your wounds, Lendra?""

The paladin of Trithereon places her hand on her arm, bestowing a golden light and patching some of her bigger bruises.

"My body is well...my ego, though? That's a different matter altogether. Who was that man? I have fought all manner of foes over here, but that guy was untouchable.""

Clarity looks at you as she pets her familiar, who also gives you a stare down.

"I'd like to know who this man is."

@The Party: Nana greets you at the Bitter Coffee and hands Sharkun ale, since tea is not a thing here. As well as giving Travis the trademark drink found in this tavern.

You could go back down there and rescue Elizabeth, who has acquired who knows how many secrets to bring down Alexia. Not to mention that she found a friend.

You could... but you know what's more important than lives? Your own.

And besides, Elziabeth is safe down there. An hour, a week, a year..she's Alexia's pet, as Folkir used to call her, may Kord hold him in his Grand halls of Honor and Strength.

And as Raikou jokes around and takes out the Horn of Plenty and blow on it, while dancing around like a lucky leprechaun, a magnificent feast spills over several tables previously arranged by Sharkun and Rusty, displaying quail, turkey, honey roasted bread rolls and copious amounts of gravy, black berry sauce and assorted fruits from every corner of the world as you invite Nana to partake on the feast and a few others.

There is so much to go around and so much time, anyways.

The meal is delicious, with Travis being a humdrum and mentioning that no monsters ought to be fought and showing once again why the best defense is his own defense, as a plethora of arcane spells are cast on himself and himself only, showing why he is Runestone's finest arcanist.

He even goes as far as shrinking in size to match Raikou and Nana's height, which doesn't go unnoticed as all of you partake on much merriment and jokes as Nana and Raikou finish a luscious turkey leg and both end holding a wishbone, as Nana winks at the halfling Stormcaster and tugs from her end.

"Make a wish...""

@Elizabeth: How much more pain can be visited upon your frail body? Zodal, grant thee the Mercy of a Quick death!!!

In the bowels of Specimen Storage, you lie on a pool of your own blood as the ghastly skull faces of these hideous creatures twitch and salivate as they tear your soft flesh from both sides, aiming to split your body unevenly and in a most ghastly manner.

And yet, even at the thresh hold of human endurance, you are able to ascertain what these horrific creatures are.

It was said that Doctor Cutter experimented on human beings. You have seen some of his creations- The Crimson heads and the Bandersnatch, but these were some of its earlier experiments, performed on women exclusively.

The Chimera, based off the monster of myth, is an unholy amalgam of various creatures spliced into a woman's womb, giving birth to these hideous monsters. They reproduce quickly and adopt an insectoid semblance, not unlike a fly, but without wings. This is compensated by rather quick speeds, the ability to climb almost any surface and a knack for always attacking in groups.

Chimera alone are not too difficult to deal with, assuming you have a magnum arrow or similar piercing weapon, since their hides can be somewhat tough.

These creatures may not be very intelligent, but they know how to overwhelm single prey with sheer numbers. Sadistic in nature, they enjoy tearing the limbs off their prey before devouring it. If someone can display enough strength, they can be cowed into service...at least for a time.

And so, the Chimera dig their hooked claws into your flesh and tear away at it, hoping to break the sockets in your arms and turn you into a flopping torso.

Spoiler: 1st Claw
    Show
    6 damage

Spoiler: 2nd Claw
    Show
    8 damage

Spoiler: 3rd Claw
    Show
    6 damage plus Improved Grab DC 15

All you can do now is look at the ceiling and hope that the Holy gates open. ...and pray for Celaena's safety.

@The Party: That was one meal for the books.

Too bad there aren't any left overs, but if you are going to head back down to end Alexia, every little bit counts. And speaking of little bits:

Travis with his diminutive form has so many spells on him, he might as well take on Alexia single handedly. There is absolutely nobody. And may this be noted in the History Books...NOBODY, that can lay a finger on the Conjurer. He is that well protected.

This does not go unnoticed by Sharkun, who plays his role of cleric rather well, asking wee Jas to bless all of you and even going as far as making his beard to turn silver...a nice touch.

And although you could take another hour to nap after such a feast, there;s some frog hunting to be done, dspite what Travis may object.

Those things are dangerous and only Rusty and his hammer and his team can finish them once and for all. plus there's any loot that may be sunken at the bottom of the pool...

And if there's time, pick up that lazy old sack of bones Elizabeth, who is probably tucked in her damn quilt reading whatever... people of her age may read. Self help booklets? Reader's Digest? Who knows. She would definitely need prune juice for this meal if she were to partake on it, that's for sure.

And so, Travis walks with you outside the pub as Nana bids you good bye and the world's smallest mage focuses on The Solarium and the cracked streets begins to rumble and shake as the scent of water fills the air and darkness envelops all of you as that cruel woman's laughter echoes through time & Space and all land a few feet off the ground, dropping in the massive pool area.

No grates to cover the pools. That blue light that casts from the censers illuminating sea themed motifs on both walls. The old rusted lounge chairs and the dangling iron maidens, forever casting ominous shadows against the walls as you look at the elevators.

They are both here. ready for use. If the Gammas haven't come out, all it would take is baiting them. You are aptly prepared, after all.

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 05:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor heals himself, hiding the nature of the spell as best he can. He will also reestablish the Disguise Undead and Mage Armor spells using his eternal wands given a few moments to do so."You know the important parts of it, I have yet to utter a lie to you, though he told a few. My name is Jannalor Miralynn, my order, the Pale Hand, hunts down those who violate Wee Jas' tenets concerning death. Strictly speaking, yes, we are necromancers. However, our concern is establishing order and destroying uncontrolled undead, not raising them ourselves."

"My team and I would never have come here had the churches in power here been doing their job, but instead they seem to mostly be ignoring this threat beyond confining it to this district. It became obvious that someone had to step in."

"But now... I do not know. Whatever is going on, it isn't just the Crimson Heads. Whoever that man was, he was no master of death, and he had a master in turn, someone else pulling the strings. A situation which does not bode well for our ability to handle this mysterious person."

"I think I can confirm one thing, though it raises more questions. In spite of his appearance, he was not human or near human. That last spell I tried was made to bind humanoids, he didn't resist it, it didn't flub, or bounce off a magical defense, it simply didn't apply to him. My initial guess would be a Yugoloth or an aberration of some sort, though I have not heard of any that display all of his abilities. Perhaps something else entirely, that whole affair seemed wrong."

Show
    Sacrificing a prepped Dismissal spell to cast Inflict Critical wounds. (4d8+8)[22]
    That would be the second daily use of the eternal wands, so they're done.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-07 at 09:09 AM.