New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: City of Sinister Delights IC 3

Barely hanging onto life the priestess of Zodal looks definitely at these beasts before her as she breaks free, her arm hanging limply by her side as most of the armor she was wearing had holes in it from the many wounds. Taking a single step back towards the lair of the bandersnatch the old woman tries her best to channel the power of Zodal before scumbing to her many wounds.

Spoiler: As no matter what I am dead if I don't try this
    Show

Concentration check DC 18 (1d20+10)[23] Empowered Cure Serious wounds (3d8+27)[45] 67.5 If I fail the concentration check I am eating an AoO meaning no doubt unconscious so wish me luck.

Swift Action to use the empowered spellshard

As the old woman's body is filled with pure positive energy from the pearly gates of the celestials she looks at the three creatures, her body whole once more. "You will have to work for your meal, these old bones are not going down just yet I still have people to save." she says defiantly.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-02-06 at 11:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: Clarity looks at Lendra, who gets up and keens her eyes at you as she checks her quiver, but it's the paladin of Kord who addresses your words.

"We have heard of Wee Jas and know that she honors the Dead... not the undead. This City doesn't have a church dedicated to her, and if you ask me: for good reason.

You say that the churches don't help? I am a representative of the Church of Kord. What do you think I was doing down there? Getting cozy with Ukobach? Granted, our help has been greatly diminished since Connor rose to power. His damn Wall makes it almost impossible for solid help to come here and cleanse the whole place."

Lendra eyes you warily as you recall a few protective spells and speaks her mind.

"I don't know who that man was, but he wasn't human, in appearance only. I have heard of a figure leading some factions in The Mercy from the shadows. Goes by the name of Hathway. I don't know if this is the same one, but whoever it was, he was damn well trained to hold his own against the three of us.""

Clarity nods.

"Anya, someone I battled alongside briefly in that same damn Bath House mentioned a man by that name, when she went to spy on the Rooster Gang. She described Hathway as extremely agile and strong. Strong enough to shrug her spells without even putting any effort into it...and she was one hell of a Beguiler.

Too bad she is gone now. Another missing person's case. As for you, Jannalor Miralynn... I know what I should do now.""

Clarity gets atop of her hippogriph and bids Lendra to join her as the feathered beast flaps his wings and both begin to ascend.

"You ought to be put down, Jannalor of the Pale Hand. Even if your intentions are noble, the nature of your being is not. That being said, you did help us against that man and Ukobach and because I don't wish to fall off Kord's Grace, I grant you knowledge and a warning:

If you want to help The Mercy and possibly The City of Halmathan from this plague, find the Society, one of the many factions here. One by the name of Prustina Silentread should be able to assist you IF you are still willing to help this place. She is known as The Mercy Swansong and knows a lot of people... of different affiliations. You should be fine if you can find an audience with her.

And a warning: As a Holy warrior of Kord, if we cross paths again, I will not be able to hold my steel back. Do you understand this? I a tasked with bringing down undead..all of them. No exceptions. You get a free pass today.

Pray to Wee Jas we don't see each other in this life. So long...""

And having said that, both women fly atop their winged mount and take off at fast speeds towards the grey skies above.

Paladins... ever devoted to their duty and conflicted all the same. No clear sense of purpose. You could blast all three of them and bring that overgrown fowl plummeting down, but she has given you some information. Names, both benign and malign.

What you do with it now, is a different matter as you place your gloved hand on your arm and cast the Cure Critical Wounds spell, which should...

Oh crap... ! In your haste, you forgot that you underwent Crucimigration years ago and although this spell ought to help you, it really doesn't.

Spoiler: The Healing Necro
    Show
    22 positive energy damage. use your own DC to make the Will save for half damage

@Elizabeth: Finally!

You kick one of the Chimera in the face and move back to the Bandersnatch lair, but not before incurring a claw swipe in the process.

Spoiler: AoO Claw
    Show
    4 damage

The three hideous mutants screech and scrape the entrance to the lair... but they won't go in, as you feel renewed strength filling your body. If they want a meal, they will have to come get it and it won't just sit idly by this time!

But the three creatures, rather than moving in, screech in anger and frustration and run down the walkway outside, disappearing from sight. They din't come here the first time you were ambushed and they didn't do it now.

Perhaps they are afraid of this place and if that is the case, you should, in theory...be safe.

Map

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Elizabeth watches as the three creatures flee from the bandersnatch lair, clearly afraid to enter it. "Wish I had known that before they or whatever it was took Celaena. Don't have much time if I had to guess, better try using this armor to its full potential." The woman says as she begins running at full speed (which is very slow and comical) as she casts her many protective spells upon herself ready to fight to save her friend. "I'm coming for you Celaena, just hang in there!" the old woman says, huffing and puffing as she makes sure to keep her mace at the ready.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action to use the speed ability from the armor for haste for +30ft. of movement
    Standard Bull's Strength which places her at a medium load thus a lot of her penalties for a heavy load are gone.

So her base speed is now 50ft. for this one turn as the haste effect will only last that 1 round.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: The Chimerae may have ran away. This room clearly frightens them, but staying put won't get Celaena back, and you need to save her. Not only is she rather well versed in arcane matters- almost as much as Raikou- but both pledged to leave this place. Together.

Calling on the powers of your new found armor, you stomp through the stone halls of Specimen Storage, calling out her name and following the trails of blood, up the short flight of stairs that would lead you to the spiral ones and to the level below.

The blood trail goes west, through a narrow walkway and more importantly:

Her short spear is here. Celaena must've dropped her, perhaps as a trail of sorts. You should be close to finding her! Smart girl, left a few clues to find her.

And whether you pick up the spear or not, you begin walking the narrow walkway, with a few blood trails on the ground as your ears alert you to a presence rounding the opposite end of the walkway where you want to go. Light steps and a sniffing sound as a revolting creature stops several feet away from you in its tracks and snarls at you:

This thing must've been one of Doctor Cutter's infamous hounds, but what was it that made them so dangerous? Regardless of whether it wants to play catch or maul you to death, this is another abomination that must be put down...and you may just have the tools at your disposal to do it.

Spoiler: The Healer gets no Breaks!
    Show
    Know. Religion & Initiative

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 02:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Will be posting for Darwin until he show back up, busy week at college.

Raikou look at Nana and smile, pushing his end of the wishbone. "To save the fairies and end Alexia", he thinks as they spit the bone. Not really happy with parting with his familiar, Cyrus look to Nana, "Do you mind if I leave Cyrus around here? He's well behaved". But a little late as the other are ready to go, as Hannibal keep spuring them forward to their... heroic deaths?

Once they get nto the Solarium, Hannibal look around the pools. Not a single frog decided to come out and play this time. But their time will come.

"Your wish was heard, Travis. No monster to kill. Lets go and save Elizabeth", and my Hammer, he thinks the last part.

He motion for everyone to get into the elevator and once all are fit, he hit the Specimen Storage button.
    "Some spells might not resist the descend, but better to be safe than sorry I guess".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: You get the bigger part of the wish bone and envision all the fey you have known back home and later in the Ossian Way...

And all those turned by Alexia below the streets of this City. You will save them...and that monster will pay dearly for what she's done to the sons and daughters of the Natural World.

You have to do it. Because if you do not... who will?

@Rusty: Once Travis has safely taken you and the others to the Solarium, you look at the pools and just know the gammas are down there, swimming and probably aware of your presence right now.

You could jump in with Sharkun and engage all of them in their own element- that's why you spent a lot of money back in Runestone. But best not to push your luck:

There is an old woman running around Alexia's madhouse... and she has your Hammer. And so, you quickly get everyone inside the lift and check your options:

1. Indoctrination

2. Specimen Storage

3. Control Center

Control Center.... yeah, no.

Indoctrination... no idea what is there. The monitors wouldn't even show it, which leaves...

@The Party: The doors shut tight as Rusty places his hammer against the metal floor and presses the Specimen Storage button and the gears and pistons that operate this old machine begin its slow descent.

The distant sound of growls and screeches echo in the dark as scant light breaks through the lift as it keeps going down for ten solid minutes. At this point, most of your protections must have surely expired, unless they last an hour or more and with a DING sound, the lift comes to a screeching halt and you are all attacked by the smell of animal waste permeating this area:

Unlike other floors, this one doesn't look as modern. In fact, it looks like some old medieval prison, at least as far as your eyes can see. A walkway extends from the elevator, lit up by some old torches. The smell of animal waste is heavy in this place as the bestial sounds cease altogether at the sound of the elevator doors opening.

A painting not too far from the lift hangs on a wall, with claw marks over it and a defaced plaque beneath:

Dr. Aloyshus Cutter, Grand Master Flaw of Transmutation at Runestone Academy

@Rusty: So that is the famous Doctor Cutter referenced in so many files. The one whose rotten head you carry in your bag, soon to become a maggot smorgasbord.

This place is gigantic. Elizabeth could be anywhere, but as they say:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 10:04 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

"I was wondering who was this man before, back in Gorf's room", Hannibal say, "Seems the FLAWED one was Cutter in the end. Speaking of which...".

He lead the way and start telling the others of Dr. Cutter's chat.
    "I got a few answers from his dead head. Among the things he said, he told the ring he weared was to open Hell's Door. Which might be her Sanctum... or somewhere unpleasant. When asked if she pulled strings on Connor, he answered that she pulls many strings", he keep walking and shrugs, "The dead are cryptic".

Spoiler: Acton
    Show
    Leading them to the drawer (?) in the end of the corridor.
    Eyes on the stairs.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

In the elevator, Sharkun looks around. "Is the team complete? Who is that Elizabeth you've been speaking of? Also, now that we are out of reach of unwanted ears Rusty, what can you tell me about that Alexia?"

In the meantime, he feels some of his magic dissipating. When they exit the elevator, he takes a couple of seconds to recast some buffs on himself.

Spoiler: Buffs
    Show

Bless is now expired. Sharkun recasts Clear Mind on himself, CL 1, +4 to saves against mind-affecting abilities for 10 minutes.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor shakes his head at the idea they represented the churches' help, "Two paladins, against thousands of infectious ghouls. The proper response to this threat involves a small army. Even if you are capable of handling all of the foes you face, people get infected and turn faster than you can destroy them. I was mostly speaking of Heironimous and Pelor in any case, among the others with a great deal of presence in this city. I have yet to see a single representative of theirs beyond the wall."

When they mention their ultimatum, he simply shrugs and states, "That is a shame. But if that is the way it must be, I suggest we avoid one another until this threat is done with. I will be leaving at that time regardless. I do thank you for the information."

Looking back at the basement entry, the dead man suppresses a feeling of frustration that his selection of spells had entirely failed to anticipate today's events. From a solo effort against a necromancer, to a group fight with paladins against... things that his spells didn't touch.

He needs guidance, and help. The task remains, but has grown considerably beyond what his own resources can manage. Even with the two paladins forced to help him for a time, it wasn't nearly enough for this new foe.

Jannalor seeks out some quite space in a nearby abandoned building, and spends time in a ritual of prayer, asking, "How should I best prepare to deal with this newly emerged threat?"

Show
    Casting Divination, 78% chance of accurate result (1d100)[55]
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-07 at 10:13 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

"The team is far from complete, with so many dead and lost in these halls", he says and and start counting, "Inquisitor Plaehn, from the Heironeous Church: dead. Folkir, dwarven mercenary: dead. Elizabeth, a healer of Zodal and delusional about Alexia's wickedness: alive and waiting rescue somewhere in this floor. Cyrus: left back in the Coffee, since we hit teleportation limit".

"There were others: Anya, Seti and Locke. All of them turned to monsters. Wel... Not sure on Anya, but I fought Seti to a tie and Locke was put down already".

"That said, we need to rescue Elizabeth. She used to work for the Ashford Family and believe everything is Cutter's fault. Our hostress, Alexia Ashford, is the one to blame the most though. Both are monsters who made several creations using people as guinea pigs".

"Dr. Cutter was a Runestone Grand Mage", he says pointing to the painting, "Master Transmuter and boogeyman on idle hours. He thought he played Alexia, but was the other way around. He's also father of several monsters, suchas the Crimson Heads".

"As for Alexia, she was said to rival archmages at age of eight? Ten? A true genius on matters arcane. She went through some ritual process to become something else. Something to do with the Grand Archmage's Treatises. She is the one pulling several strings regarding many warlords in the Mercy and the one behind the majority of dissapearances".

"Among our goals here, we are looking to rescue some allies and to figure out how to deal with the hostress", he says never stopping to move, "Any more questions?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun processe the information. He bows slightly to the evocation of the fallen, and touches his holy symbol.
    "Ah, so actually dealing with the Crimson Heads is akin do dealing with the symptoms. Instead, we are going to directly fight the disease. But are you sure that so far, the work you and all others have done towards bringing Alexia down has had any effect on the living conditions in the Mercy? Becaus as we explore here, the Crimson Heads remain roaming and dangerous."

He gazes at the painting, and lightly pokes it with the tip of his guisarme.
    "A painting? Here? And in such a huge underground manor. This Alexia comes from a very wealthy family, doesn't she? Does here family have any other offsprings than her, in Hamalthan?"
    Last edited by remetagross; 2018-02-07 at 11:08 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Elizabeth follows the trail she smiles as she finds the spear, picking it up and hocking her mace on the armor she wore for now. “That’s it Celaena, keep giving me something to follow.” the old woman says with a smile on her face as she casts a one of her more powerful spells and creates ten magical darts of pure healing energy that float above her head waiting to be used knowing the woman could not be far meaning their would be monsters close by.

Nor does it take long for her to find one either as she begins walking the narrow walkway and a dog like creature appears. “We can do this one of two ways beast, move aside or die. I am going to save my friend.” the old woman says setting her spear down like she had seen soldiers do to prevent a charge.

Show
    Before picking up the spear she is using Darts of life with an 11 min duration
    And setting the spear against a charge meaning if it runs at her and attacks it is getting hit with an auto crit
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+16)[32]
    Initative (1d20-2)[-1]
    AC 19
    HP61/55

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: Lendra looks down at you while she rides behind Clarity and raises an eyebrow.

"Who says there are two only? Wouldn't you like to know more details, Jannalor...

As for a small army, look around. See any? The factions that govern The Mercy have their own private mercenaries. Not the best, but efficient at what they do. Enough to keep away established government."

Clarity is a lot less cordial than Lendra as her hippogryph takes off.

"You blame Pelor and Heironeous? Take a good look in the mirror, Jannalor:

Your problem is that you're wearing way more masks than you think you are. A cheater in Life and Death, that makes you a sore loser from the start and the subject of pity. You and the Crimson Head menace will be put down, it is just a matter of time.

Like I said, next time we meet, pray we do not!"

And having said that, both warrior women take off, leaving you alone outside the ruins of the Ludus Magnus. You could go back to the basement. Take down Ukobach on your own. Should be an easy task- your font of power is not unlike a warlock's- pretty much eternal and ever changing.

And yet, even a creature such as it had demonstrated to be able to shrug off most of your spells. never mind the man with the hat. How to best go about this? You could hide. Being a necropolitan, you need not breathe and can lay in pretend eternal rest until the whole thing blows over.

But chances are that if the Crimson Head plague is not contained, it may just be the stepping stone to something worse, That guy... Cutter? Hathway?? Cuttway???

He wasn't an undead. Didn't look like one and was able to thwart every single spell you threw at him with ease.

And if he's still around, he is a big problem. You need to consult a higher power, even as you burn your arm by getting your mind lost in time and are painfully reminded on why the dead don't have it as easy as the living.

It's a shadowy dusty corner of an abandoned building that you sit on the cracked ground and spread a few ashes from your fellow Pale Hand members, as well as ground ruby and a grey candle with incense burning in the middle as you trace the symbol of your goddess with the ashes and ruby dust , a fitting offering to Death's Guardian.

And then, you lower your masked head and place your hands in prayer as a cold wind blows through the building and the tiles on the floor begin to unmake and the walls break apart in silence as you find yourself floating in the deep void, with the symbol of Wee Jas traced on the ground as the only reminder you are here.

And from the darkness, a female's voice speaks to your mind:

You wish to end the Crimson Heads?
    Sent them all to their rightful Rest.

Then heed these words, Jannalor
    If such earthly concerns still matter:

Alone you will not prevail
    Find the missing lineage, restore what was lost

But against The Devil, Beware!
    For her Awakening brings forth a monstrous Host...

The room returns to normal as the ruby powder and ashes are carried by the winds. Wee Jas has spoken, but what did she mean? What was lost? Who is this Devil?

Taking counsel from the gods always sheds more questions than answers.

@Rusty: You keep walking with the group following, always following.

It becomes clear someone left signs on the ground, traced on stone, but these signs have become illegible- someone went out of their way to erase them or scratch them out.

With Sharkun ever curious, you fill him in on the situation at hand. Who is behind the monsters in The Mercy and the ones you are about to face in this Manor of Madness.

A lot of people have died to get the information out. Those that haven't died, have been turned. Some even had to be put down by your own hands.

Halmathan's Brightest Mind will not make your task easy. That being an understatement, but once you find crazy Elizabeth, you can also get back your Hammer.

With it, Sharkun's strength, Raikou's impressive destructive power and Travis'..... spells? Yeah.

You should be invincible. Alexia is surely cowering at this moment as you and the others reach the drawer and take a look around,

@The Party: It's been.... vandalized. If there was something here, it's gone. Also, signs of struggle can be observed. A fight took place in this very spot as a few of you find patches of dry blood on the ground, as well as several opened cells and charred humanoid prints on the floor.

Someone went all out here, mage style. The first floor moves around the entire area, but a flight of stairs very close to you should take you further down, since Elizabeth doesn't seem to be anywhere on sight here.

Map

@Elizabeth: Celaena is not as dumb as you thought- she is leaving a trail for you to follow as you pick up the spear, but keep the mace at hand as you walk across the narrow walkway and stop several feet away as the horrid dog rounds the bend and growls at you, causing you to instinctively reach for your holy symbol.

Cutter must've experimented with more than just humans and apes. He must've used all manner of animals. With dogs being no exception.

That is a zombie version of a hound. But unlike the undead from folklore, these are just as fast as a Crimson Head- maybe even faster, having four legs.

These things are ravenous and will attempt to bring you down with their jaws and feed upon you, to the exclusion of anything else. One alone is reason to give someone like you pause, since like many undead found here, a good slash from a blade will bring this undead mock dog down.

And just to make things worse, they are carriers- Cutter must've made sure these things could infect those bitten and who managed to survive. yet another reason to bring this creature down, as you lay down the terms of its surrender.

You are going to save Celaena...and no rotten mangy dog is about to stand in your way!

Round 1

However, this thing is quick. Quicker than you, as it snarls and sprints down the narrow walkway, blank eyes aimed at you before it leaps and bites deep into your arm, using its body to apply weight and try to bring you down!

Spoiler: Ravenous Bite!
    Show
    16 damage plus Improved Trip DC 31. Use Strength or Dexterity modifiers to counter it, whichever is higher.

Plus Infection, Fortitude DC 13. If immune to diseases, ignore it.

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Cutter's Hound
    Elizabeth
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 03:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis tells Sharkun "These slow elevators are a caster's bane. On purpose no doubt. It's the reason why I bought a few first level pearls of power."

He uses two of the pearls to regain his spells of shield and reduce person, then casts those spells again.

He also uses two more charges from his wand to give himself Improved Initiative and to give Raikou Improved Toughness.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"The fact the elevator have reote controlled lethal gas poison make it the bane of pretty much anything", Hannibal correct Travis.

"Let's clear this whole place and see if there is any lead on those rooms", he says and move to the closest door to check it. If it prove to be empty he'll move and check the other up north as well.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor bows his head, "I will meditate upon your words my lady, and find the meaning within."

Concluding the ritual, he checks himself and his appearance, closing some wounds, and placing the magic cap on his head and using it to shift his appearance to one a little less remarkable. Just another person down on his luck. No mask, and certainly no signs that something is wrong with him.

Time to find the Society. He'd avoided them before. But before he'd had his brothers to rely upon, and it was just made abundantly clear that continuing on alone was not an option.

Show
    Spontaneously casting two Inflict Light wounds, dropping Bless and Command for it. (2d8+10)[19]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

As the dog pulls Sister Elizabeth's leg out from her she tries wacking it away with her spear as one of the magical darts flying above her head goes into her skin healing her wound sum. "Don't say I didn't warn you." the old woman says making it appear like she was attacking with her spear, while her hand reached out trying to grab the dogs paw and infuse it with positive energy.

Show
    Free Action 1/10 Darts of life (1d8+20)[23]
    Standard Action Touch attack Cure Light Wounds (1d20-3)[14] Damage (1d8+17)[24]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: The only person who matters here is you, that much is clear.

Survival of a mage is paramount. They are the true leaders of any expedition. Reason why you are so vocal and a clear leader in this group. It's even in your name, the strength of such vocalization and power of personality.

And yes, some (a very select and cowardly few) might argue that you are selfish by casting all those spells on yourself. But to those naysayers, all you can say is:

Wand of Heroics. You're welcome.

It is you and ONLY you that can use such precious wand to end all wands. Cast from it as your body swells or in this case reduces in size and you contribute greatly to Elizabeth's search by mentioning the slow lifts and how they leech upon your precious arcane power, to be shared with none other.

@Rusty: You watch Travis become enamored with halfling society, going as far as trying to match their size and add to the whole caster malady about the lifts that they can also kill anybody inside. You had the chance to snuff their life before and who knows if Alexia may not try to do it herself.

The cells are old and the bars have been either chewed or melted, but a long time ago. Whatever was kept in them escaped and although you do catch sight of an ungainly bug like creature, all shriveled up and very much dead, there are no signs of Elizabeth here.

What all of you can see are a second set of stairs leading below. It would seem this is the first of many areas in Specimen Storage and although you can see corpses from different creatures lying around and no loot, you could probably guess that Elizabeth came down this way and killed and stole a bunch of helpless prisoners.

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 06:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: It's a hard fall on your back which by now, you ought to be used to.

Pretty much every single monster that dwells here has swatted you around like a fly and yet, you have persevered. This undead hound will not be the one to kill you. Not while there are people worth saving!

It's a quick adrenaline shot on your neck from one of your darts as you reach out and grab the dog's paw, infusing it with Zodal's Blessings and causing the rotten mutt to howl in pain as flecks of burnt skin wash off his limb, revealing diseased bone beneath.

He didn't like it. Good... but it isn't destroyed yet.

Round 2

The undead looks at you and snarls as it presses its entire body over you, pinning you down and making sure you can't use your arms agin, as his jaws clench down hard on your neck, beginning to feed off you!

The amount of blood you are losing is way too many. You need to get this thing off you or you are dead!

Spoiler: Ravenous Bite Crit!
    Show
    25 damage plus Improved Grab DC 15. If failed, Feed, for an extra 10 damage

Map

Show
    Cutter's Hound
    Elizabeth

@Jannalor: Who knows what the Stern Lady meant, but her words may carry wisdom yet to be revealed.

Using your won necromantic power to seal some of your wounds, you adjust your hat and adopt the guise of a nondescript beggar. One of many in The Mercy and begin walking the streets, looking around at the tall ruined and scorched buildings.

The mercy is said to be the biggest district in the entire City of Halmathan. If what those paladins said is true, you should be able to contact one of the Society members. Someone who knows people...

If the Pale Hand were still ambulant, you might have a solid and reliable network, but as is, all you can rely upon is your own wits to find a needle in a very large haystack.

Spoiler: What do you know?
    Show
    Knowledge Local or Lore, if applicable

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, let's try that one", he point to the stairs closest to the desk and lead them around as they all fall silent.

He keep his hammer ready and go down a level.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"Bad dog, just go to sleep." the old woman says swatting it on its nose, a tried and true method as the dog lets go of her arm for a second. More than long enough for her to get her arm free as she once more from the ground tries to slap it to death.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Free Action healing me (1d8+20)[23]
    Swift Action Arm bands of maximized healing
    Standard Action CLW on dog (1d20-3)[17] Damage 25 Will DC 16 for half

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Damn dog and the mad man that made him!

You swat the hound on the nose and make sure to avoid its deadly bite as yet another dart injects into your blood stream, preventing a sudden loss.

Your hand squeezes around the hound with renewed strength as tears flow down the creature's blank eyes from the pain, while it whimpers and you leave your hand imprinted on its face, while still on your back.

The power of Zodal is strong, but this canine has yet to give up the ghost.

Round 3

The hound snarls at you and once more moves in, pressing its paws against your shoulders and biting into your neck, locking the jaw tight and seeking to sever an artery.

Spoiler: Ravenous Bite
    Show
    17 damage plus Improved Grab DC 25. If failed, Feed for an extra 11 damage

Show
    Cutter's Hound
    Elizabeth

@The Party: With not many leads in tis area, you follow Rusty back towards the drawer and down the stone steps.

It's a somewhat long way down- about five minutes descending in the dark as the distant growls and screeches of unseen creatures can be heard and the smell of animal waste becomes stronger here.

There is little lighting in this immense place, except for a distant flickering atrium of sorts, opposite the are you came in. Not insurmountable: all you;d have to do is walk around the complex to study it.

@Sharkun: It's the sound of feathers ruffling in the distance, followed by almost human growls as several nasty creatures fly around this place, far away from your guisarmes and hammers:

The others mentioned monsters... but what the hell are those????

Spoiler: The Check
    Show

Knowledge The Planes (trained)

They seem to have taken notice of four newcomers and who knows how troublesome they may be.

Spoiler: She made it…can you?
    Show
    Initiative time

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-07 at 10:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: You begin walking to a more crowded area in The Mercy and watch the beggars and cutthroats doing their thing. One must wonder if this place truly is worth saving.

The Mercy is pretty much a no man's land. For years, even before Connor took over, nobody has really come forth and established order. This has lead to a very large number of factions to emerge and claim authority, only to be deposed by another faction and so on and so forth.

Amongst the most... "tame" of these factions is The Society.

Now, don't let its name fool you. One would be inclined to believe they are law abiding citizens, willing to insert themselves into the City as a whole. That is definitely not the case.

The Society is ran by a way too complicated power structure. Way too complicated for even Society members to follow and respect. If a boss shows weakness or some perceived lack of leadership, he just may be found in the gutter... or not at all.

That isn't to say they are all shiv wielding back stabbing bastards. The majority are, but some actually are content taking over a few blocks and making sure things run smooth.. or a smooth as things in a place like The Mercy can be.

Which leads you to one such guild within The Society where you could, for lack of a better word...empathize.

The fact people are killed here is nothing new. Without law enforcement, vendettas are settled in these very streets, under the cover of night. The Society has a group that deals with such grim business. The issue comes with the bodies afterwards.

Can't have streets lined with dead people, can you? There is already tons of diseases running around, why add more from decomposing bodies? That and it wouldn't take long for Connor or any other Church Leader past the wall to take notice and before you know it, the military is sent in, along with The Eyes in the Sky and presto: Police State.

Which brings us to the Unlicensed Bakers’ Guild.

A subset of the Society, the Unlicensed Bakers take care of the problem once it has been resolved. They are rather good at it, too. However, because of their methods, few even in The Society, deal with them directly. This has not gone unnoticed by the Pale Hand, and for good reason:

The Unlicensed Bakers’ Guild deals with grave and tomb robbery, as well as the trade of such exhumed bodies. The more complete the body, the better for the Bakers, but pieces will do just fine.

It is they who pick up any remaining items of worth from the corpses and then resell them within the Black Market. And the leader of this guild is one nasty gnome by the name of Wilian Shortankard, aka The Little Nightmare.

This Runestone mage, like many, fled the City when Connor imposed heavy bans on all spell casters and found his calling with The Society. This guy is as greedy as he is dangerous. His outfit is well equipped and few would be foolish enough to go pick up a fight with him.

However, he would know higher ups in The Society and you do know the whereabouts of his lair... assuming he hasn't moved, that is.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

As the dog once more bites into the old woman's flesh a quick smack to the nose gets her hand free as she struggles to stand up. "You need to return home boy. Let me be your guide." the old woman says to the dog, trying to send its soul to the afterlife where it could look for its former master.

Show

Free Action dart (3/10 used) (1d8+20)[26]
    Move Action to stand provoking an AoO
    Swift for another Maximized CLW Attack roll (1d20+1)[16] Damage 25 DC 16 for half

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor is... not enthusiastic about this prospect. The Society certainly does not conform to principles of order, and the dead man is uncertain he'll have much to offer the criminals in exchange for what he requires they will want.

It is, of course, in their best interests to cooperate with him. But in his experience, such individuals are rarely wise enough to see the big picture, and the Society has too much pull to properly threaten on his own.

Nevertheless, this is the path set before him, and he will take it. The dead man sets out, seeking Wilian Shortankard, to see how this goes.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: Who knows what these flying creatures are. They don't look like anything you have ever seen before, however. What you do know is that they can fly and they carry bows.

Still, if you are going to save Elizabeth and find out what Alexia is doing to The Mercy, you can either take a stand or dash through. Who knows how big this place and it has not been fully explored.

Map

Round 1

Show
    Travis
    Raikou
    Sharkun

Cutter Siren x4
    Rusty

@Elizabeth: Who knew a zombie dog could be so durable?

It's yet another dart that shoots through your body as you hold on to the hound's jaw and bring forth Zodal's Purity. This time, the pooch cracks all over before turning into a pile of crimson dust as you get up and crack your old bones.

No enemies around here and Celaena's trail seems to go further ahead in the walkway.

Just a little bit more... stay safe, Celaena!

Map

@Jannalor: It is getting dark as you walk towards the old Meat Packing plant.

Back in the day, this building used to process al the livestock coming into Hope's caress, before the fire consumed it. The Akylonian family, of maritime trade fame, built this factory as one of its first, but after the fire, they set their eyes into the great sea for business. That isn't to say the meat packing plant has not seen use.

Wilian certainly has equipped the place. It's perfect for him- the old freezers store the bodies that he uses to carefully mutilate and the organs he is known to preserve and sell to the highest bidder. besides, this place is heavily guarded.

Society Snipers roam the nearby rooftops, arrows always ready. The lil' bastard makes sure to hire elves only to do the job. Their knack for such weapon makes them ideal candidates and they are rather nimble.

If you are a passersby through the street, you're fine. Chances are they won't harass you.

Come stir trouble, though... and you might end up in that freezer, turned into a Jasidian pin cushion.

The gnome has made sure to keep the ground streets well protected too. A group of half orc mercenaries have pledged allegiance to The Society for awhile now. They have the coin and in the City, Connor would most likely have them arrested for being half orcs, with a few exceptions, most likely.

It is then that you watch a small squad of these half orc enforcers carry bags in a wheelbarrow towards the main gate, speaking in a language you have never heard before as one of the bags on the wheelbarrow seems to move and the half orc pushing it gives it a thorough punch before whatever is inside settles down.

Now, you could blast your way through the front door...

Or approach the tall well armed and mighty muscled humanoids. Who knows what kind of mood they are in.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-08 at 09:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

As the zombie dog begins to break apart Sister Elizabeth looks at the creature with a sad smile on her face. "Go ahead boy, you are free. Run on home to your family." she says kindly to the poor creature that had been tormented for who knows how long, and at last had finally found peace.

With the dog gone from this world, Sister Elizabeth redoubles her efforts to find her friend Celaena.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor quietly hefts a small pouch of silver. Hopefully he gauged the amount required well enough. Paying people extra just so they'll do their duty, a disgusting concept.

He will approach the guards in a nonthreatening manner, deliberately ignoring the sacks being carried in. When challenged, he'll state, "I have a business proposition for your boss." If they hesitate, he'll toss them the coin pouch.

Show
    25 silver coins in there.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: If you can free at least one...

The crimson dust washes away and you can only hope that dog- before Cutter got his hands on him- finds a good home in the Beastlands.

The one you cannot afford to lose is Celaena. She is a brave elf and who knows how much she's suffered without your divine succor. Besides, if you are to get rid of all these monsters, your spells alone won't do. Celaena is quite the talented sorceress and her skills can definitely help put down all of these abominations.

The trail is getting warmer...and that's not a good thing. A lot more blood leading down a short flight of stairs as you face a rusted door covered in what appears to be some growth, not unlike a wasp's nest, but bigger as you push the door and this one creaks loudly as it allows you a view of the inside.

This looks like one giant pen to keep animals inside. The cages are broken or covered in more of that growth. Some of it the size of Raikou as weird forms can be seen inside some of these disgusting pods, glued to the ceiling, walls and floor.

You've stumbled into a nest... but a nest of what, exactly?

And it is then that you spot Celaena, manacled to the far side of the cell and nearly prone, just as you found her several floors above. The elf has seen better days- she is spilling blood all over and seems to have suffered grievous harm. Someone beat this woman brutally and has left her within an inch of her life, chained here with these...these things.

The elf can barely remain conscious as she keens her eyes and looks at you from the other end of the cell.

"Elizabeth...? is that you? Sister... run...! RUN!!!!""

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Roll a Spot & Listen

Map

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Elizabeth finds Celaena she lets out a sigh of relief as she directs one of the darts floating above her head to go heal the woman. "I do not think so Celaena, there were countless times you could have left me behind and instead you stayed. We are a team and we are going to get out of here together. Was it those bug like creatures that attacked you?" the old woman asks as she makes her way over to Celaena and casts one of her more simple, but powerful spells to protect the two of them. "Now just give me a few seconds and with some luck I can break those chains."

Show
    Free Dart of life 4/10 (1d8+20)[26] healed to celaena
    Standard to cast Interfaith blessing granting a different bonus depending on who you worship, for Elizabeth she gets a +2 sacred bonus to AC, not sure about Celaena however.
    Spot (1d20+6)[7]
    Listen (1d20+6)[23]