New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: City of Sinister Delights IC 3

@Rusty: So the dwarf is some sort of military tactician, eh? Not bad.

Setting your eyes on both brain headed monsters, you charge at one of them with your hammer, but the creatures are nimble and avoid the whomp at the last second before they retaliate with claws and sharp barbed tongue.

Spoiler: Full Attack from both
    Show
    Tongue lash: 6 damage

Claw 1: 6 damage

Claw 2: 4 damage

To an unarmored prey, these things would be murder. To you, though... just a flesh wound.

Round 4

@Sharkun, Raikou & Rusty: Seeing how all three of you are now immune to that Siren's Cruel Captivation, the creature flies back and makes sure to stay out of melee range while unleashing a single arrow at the halfling.

Spoiler: Arrow
    Show
    5 damage

The Siren playing the Song of Incompetence stops playing and unleashes a salvo of arrows at both Sharkun and Raikou, with the arrow directed at Raikou missing by a large margin.

Spoiler: Arrow Volley of Relief
    Show
    Sharkun takes the following damage:

1st arrow: 7 damage

2nd arrow: 6 damage

Everyone's skills are NO LONGER subject to a -3 penalty

The most debilitating song, Dirge of Damnation- that is still being played as the last Siren, which had been shooting Sharkun for awhile, flies at great speeds, flapping its feathery wings and hovers in the same spot her sister was, extending her wings and beckoning all three of you to come towards her, just like Travis before.

Spoiler: Cruel Captivation
    Show

The most insidious ability of Cutter's sirens is this song. When it sings, all creatures within a 1050 ft. spread must succeed on a Will save or become captivated.

A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same Siren's song for 24 hours.

A captivated victim walks toward the monster, taking the most direct route available. If the path leads into a dangerous area (through flame, off a cliff, or the like), that creature gets a second saving throw.

Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. (Thus, a fighter cannot run away or attack but takes no defensive penalties.)

A victim within 5 feet of the Siren stands there and offers no resistance to the creature's attacks. The effect continues for as long as the siren sings and for 1 round thereafter.

A bard’s countersong ability allows the captivated creature to attempt a new Will save.

Apply penalties from Dirge of Damnation to the roll.

Raikou, having been protected by Sharkun, should be immune to their call, but what about the other two?

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Cutter Siren x4
    Raikou
    Sharkun
    Rusty

Licker x2
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-09 at 05:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Hannibal takes a few attacks from the monsters and smiles. It's been a long time since he had the opportunity to swing his hammer to his pleasure.

"Try again", he says bringing down the hammer on the creatures and making a small show-off with the hammer.

Spoiler: PA Attack
    Show
    PA of 2.

1st (1d20+10)[29] dmg (1d12+16)[17]
    2nd (1d20+5)[16] dmg (1d12+16)[22]

Taking into account the -3 on attacks.

Using swift action to recover his maneuvers.

Raikou, free from his delusional dreams, shake off and look as another harpy start singing that hideous song.
    "Ugh. You know when you see someone that look at distance and it looks ugly and when you get closer it looks further away?", he says creating a sparkling sphere in his hand, "Yeah, you look miles away".

He then draw his rod and point at them, "You all do".

It's four lightning strikes that are unleashed by the tip of the rod and strike all harpies.

Spoiler: Sculpted Lightning Bolt
    Show
    creating four areas to hit all four sirens. Ref DC 20 for half.

Dmg (10d6)[32]

vs. #1 SR (1d20+11)[12]
    vs. #2 SR (1d20+11)[20]
    vs. #3 SR (1d20+11)[28]
    vs. #4 SR (1d20+11)[22]
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Punching things is good.

Reducing them to a pulp of brain matter and shattered bones with a hammer, though... heaven.

Whatever these things are, they keep being allergic to your tool of the trade. Good. It's been awhile since you had a thorough conversation and you're feeling awfully chatty this evening.

@Raikou: Freed from the Siren Song, you look at all four feathered freaks and begin chanting as your entire body crackles witj raw electric power, causing the creatures to look at each other, unaware of what is about to happen...

Before the entire complex radiates with a lightning storm that catches all four in Heavenly punishment, as the sparks run through their bodies and they flap their wings and...

Nothing happened.

None of them were affected?! How? Nothing beats lightning. Well one was hurt and even then...

Its body seems highly resistant to your thunder.

Show
    Cutter Siren x4
    Raikou
    Sharkun
    Rusty
    Licker

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-10 at 01:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Hannah? Han ... ouch!" I should have known!

Travis stands up and dusts himself off.

Well, I can't help the others just now. Hmm ... a recent fight? maybe Elizabeth is around here ...

Travis follows the fresh blood trail.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

@Sharkun: Must.. not... listen... to song?

The scents of the Jade Palace fill your senses as you leave Rusty and Raikou and smile stupidly at the sight of Umrar Naledzir.

She is quite a beloved sight in the Palace, as she opens her arms, wearing the robes of your order, flashing a beautiful Jasidian Ruby symbol.

"Come, my beloved Son of Thrazir. Let us save this City and bring back the order of the Ruby Sorceress...together!""

Yes. That is what High Priestess Na'wa al-Habai has been motioning for almost a year since arriving here. You can do this, but not alone. Umrar is a devout follower of the Stern lady and with her by your side and that sweet embrace... there is nothing to fear.

@Rusty: You have got to be kidding me.

The guy with the strongest mind. The mighty paladin... taken over by that disgusting Siren. And unlike any other time before, that dwarf crusader is running. Running and nearly dropping his guisarme as he runs into the disgusting withered and atrophied arms of that feathered monster.

But no time to go fetch him, as the Licker with you lashes its barbed tongue, nearly slashing one of your arteries!

Spoiler: Tongue Lash
    Show

10 damage

Round 5

@Sharkun: The loving embrace of the Jasidian Priestess feels so warm, as angelic wings lift you off the ground and for the first time since arriving to this City.. you feel safe.

"You have done well, Sharkun. You have taken a leap of faith, just as our Goddess demands.

And now, Son of Thrazir... DIE!""

Umrar's visage turns twisted and evil, with a mocking grin and crimson eyes as you are dropped off the ledge and before you can do anything, down you go, watching your trusted comrade in faith waving good bye to you and laughing as darkness envelops it all and she becomes a distant speck.

@Rusty: Not another one!

These damn Sirens have proven to be really dangerous with those malefic songs as the one that dropped Sharkun into the pit grins wickedly, its too human teeth sharp and salivating in glee.

The one playing the Dirge of Damnation... keeps playing.

The other two aim their arrows, but not at you. You aren't a threat while on the ground. Can't really reach them.

Raikou, however- he is a threat to them. One they will dispose of immediately. If he will not submit to their Song, he will at least be blessed with a Requiem of Arrows, as several fly from the two ever flying monsters towards the halfling.

Spoiler: Halfling Pincushion
    Show
    1st Arrow: 4 damage

2nd Arrow: 2 damage

3rd Arrow: 4 damage

4th Arrow: 3 damage

5th Arrow: 6 damage

Map

Show
    Cutter Siren x4
    Raikou
    Rusty

Licker

@Travis: Of course it was too good to be true. Hannah in this place? Come on!

At least seven bones must've been broken from that fall, but you are alive... somehow. Now how the hell to get back to the others? They should be fine, with Raikou blasting those things out of the sky, it should come as no surprise if those damn birds start dropping down here.

And speaking of here... somebody's been fighting as well. A lot of blood and signs of a fight, given some scorched imprint of a creature on the stone walkway, which seems to crumble after each step you take and move forward, stopping at a short flight of stairs leading down to what looks like a cell, but covered in a strange growth. The door to it seems unhinged and...

And that's when you watch Sharkun drop on pretty much the same exact spot as you, flailing his stubby legs and arms in the air, futilely attempting to fly before he land on his back on the actual railway, causing a cracking sound from his back to echo around the entire complex and even making you wince.

Anyone else would be dead by such a fall, but the dwarf isn't getting it as easy as you.

@Sharkun: Damn it all to hell, that hurt!

You may need to see a chiropractor after falling down who knows how deep and on the edge of a railing, causing every bone in your body to plead for mercy.

Spoiler: Dwarf Fallin, Pt. 1
    Show

24 falling damage

You ricochet off the railing and land flat on your face on some stone bridge, but as you start to get up, the impact must've seriously affected this stretch of stone, as cracks begin to appear beneath you, with chunks of rock falling under you and threatening to take you deeper below as you catch sight of a very wounded Travis, limping several feet away.

It's not the entire bridge, but the portion you are in- enough to warrant anyone attempting to walk through to jump from now on- to give in under your armored weight as you hang on with one hand to the ledge and never intent to leave the Guisarme on your hand.

You can do this. Just pull yourself up... or find out how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Spoiler: Dwarf Falling, Pt. 2
    Show

Climb DC 10 or fall even further

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-10 at 12:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: It takes a slight tug to retrieve the dart from your mask.

If things ran the way they are supposed to, you can bet nobody would be throwing darts at your face, much less with rolled up message wrapped around them, but this is what it's come to:

Your mask being used as a dart board. Still, whoever this is, it's a far better lead than Wilian Shortankard and so, you walk to the closest alley and raise your hand, a sign of non violence and remain so in the dark alley for at least a minute before a figure appears seated on the edge of an old creaky balcony at least ten feet above you:

"You know, that gnome you were with? Try a bigger pouch next time. Words only get you so far in The Mercy. Besides, the guy is bad news, something that applies to pretty much everyone here.

So you are one of the Jasidian Pale hands? I have heard of your order. You do understand that many here would not trust your outfit after what's going on, right?

That being said, you did help a friend of mine earlier at the Ludus Magnus, a paladin. She said she spared your life. Would not elaborate further upon why, but she also you helped them, so I guess that counts as a vouch.""

The woman remains on the balcony and puffs on her cigar, releasing several smoke rings into the night sky.

"I heard your schtick from my friend and then over heard it at the gnome's factory- you wish to help, but are you ready to do so? This is more than just an undead plague. If you are still willing to assist, perhaps I can be of service.

They did ask you to seek out someone, didn't they? A Society member, correct?""

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun smiles brightly. "Umrar! My beloved Umrar! You have come down to help me! I knew you would not leave me alone! Wait for me, I am coming at once..."
    He opens his arms in a fiery embrace...and then falls, as the ironic laughter of the harpy echoes in his ears. What the...NO! I got tricked, just like Travis! Damn you Alexia, thrice you be damned!

Bonk, boing, clank. Not only does it hurt, but Sharkun does not manage to get to his feet and escape the weakened area, before he feels himself falling again. No, this shall not happen. Uttering the word of power, his boots teleport him to safety on the ground level. Here, bruised and battered, he finds Travis.

"...*puf puf* Travis! Are you fine? *puf puf* Did the fall hurt you too? Beware, the stone bridge behind me is in ruins!"

The dwarf moves slowly towards the wizard, resting on his guisarme to help his sore bones.

"Do you have any ways to bring us back up there? Here, allow me to heal you. I will heal myself afterwards."
    Sharkun converts some of his prepared magic into healing power.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Move action: activate the Boots of Swift Passage, 20ft teleportation, to reach the safe part of the bridge as Sharkun is starting to fall.
    Then, in case initiative is still going, on the following round, closing near Travis and converting Nystul's Magic Aura (what a crappy domain spell, might as well directly prepare Cure Light Wounds in my domain slot) into Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+5)[12]. Then, in case Travis needs some more, ditto with Identify:
    (2d8+9)[14]. In case he's already good, Sharkun will heal himself with that instead.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

@Sharkun: Although rather strong, the armor on your bidy and that guisarme do not help when your entire weight is placed upon a single hand on a crumbling bridge.

Thankfully, you are Priestess Na’Wa’s personal bidyguard of the Jasidian AND Jade Palace Guard. Being well equipped to fight off marauders in ancient crumbling tombs back home, boots like these are a necessity, as the ledge gives off and you focus on Travis ‘ location, disappearing in a copper colored nimbus of light and reappearing several feet closer to the mage.

The walkway is now ruined. You can still walk through it, but now there’s a ten foot gap from your fall on it. If you can jump or fly or use any other trick, it’s a most amusing hurdle.

Lack any of those tricks and well... pray you can jump very far.

Travis is in bad shape, but not as bad as you. Those things above used you as target practice and that brain headed thing with the tongue and claws caught you by surprise.

And still you live, but where exactly are you now? This new place. It’s quiet...

Too quiet.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm...Waiting for Travis' answers, Sharkun concentrates and starts to detect the taint of evilness around him.

Show

Using Detect Evil to try and find a source of evil around. If Sharkun detects something else than just general evilness of the place, he focuses to pinpoint what and where he detects that.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Raikou is flabbergasted that his magic didnt work on them. The sirens push it and add injury to insult as they try to make him look more like a porcupine of sorts.

"Hey Rusty, those things seems resistant to my lightning. Maybe we should make a run for it?"

He then dash closer to rusty.

Spoiler: Run, little halfling
    Show
    Dashing so that he end on the northeast square adjacent to Rusty.

Hannibal look to Raikou and nods, "Let me just", he swing his hammer at the surving one, "Kill this thing and we're out of here".

Spoiler: Hammer Time
    Show
    PA 2
    1st (1d20+10)[28] dmg (1d12+13)[20]
    2nd (1d20+5)[25] dmg (1d12+13)[19]

"Never thought I would say it, but Travis' acid pellets would be of good use here".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor studies the strange woman carefully. "Had things gone as planned, others trusting me would not have been required. Ideally, we would have been done and gone before anyone of import knew we were here. Requiring aid is an unfortunate and recent turn of affairs, and has required me to be more revealing than I would prefer."

"And yes, I received the distinct impression that this was more than just a plague of undead from the two creatures faced beneath the Ludus Magnus. I am willing to do whatever is required to end this, as the Crimson Heads remain a potentially world ending threat whether or not it is the necromancer I expected pulling the strings. But among the things I require is a better sense of what I face."

"Are you proposing some manner of partnership? If so, what do you have in mind?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-10 at 11:04 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

ooc: How far up is the area we fell from?

Travis sighs with relief as the dwarf teleports to temporary safety. Not being as hurt as he looks he will try to dodge if Sharkun attempts to heal him now. (ooc: hp 65/67)

"Save your healing spells, I just got the wind knocked out of me and an aspect of my temporary toughness increase from spells is gone.

I don't have a way back up but look, signs of battle here. Maybe Elizabeth fell here just as we did. We should see where that blood trail leads. If it's not a dead end and if the others can join us safely, perhaps we should call them to do so."

Once Sharkun has healed himself, Travis will peer into the cell beyond the short stairway.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

@Sharkun: You rush towards Travis, leaving behind an area of destroyed bridge- a pit if you will- and aid the mage and yourself by healing as much as possible. Those damn Sirens got both of you good, but hopefully Raikou and Rusty can finish them off and meet you here... wherever "here" is.

Your senses to sense wickedness don't register anything at your current location. There doesn't seem to be any enemies of the sort. The place may house vile monsters, but no threatening presences lurking around yet.

There is, however, a set of stairs leading down to what look like an old cell.

Map

@Jannalor: The woman remains on the balcony and searches into one of her pockets, taking out a small round stone and pressing it against her forehead as she closes her eyes, but still addresses you words.

"Ever played chess, Jannalor? You send the pawns first... save the other pieces for last. What The Mercy is going through is bad, but it has the potential to become far worse. People like Wilian and many, including you, don't have the big picture. Truth is, none of us here have an idea of what is happening, but there are a few who do.

Who are, as we speak, fighting to uncover the truth and end this menace to The Mercy. I have contacted someone who will hopefully get you to where you want to go. Mind you, it is no walk in the park.

The people fighting now... it did not begin withe the same group. Many have not returned.""

The woman pockets the stone and looks down at you.

"... so I ask you once more. Are you willing to really help this place?"

@Rusty: It's a good day to hammer monsters right in the skull.

Granted, this one didn't go as splat as the other two, but it's not moving, which is a sign that things are working.

And then you hear Corwin's telepathic link come through amidst the fight.

I hope I am not interrupting anything, Hannibal.

Sedge got ahold of me just now. She says there is one Jannalor of the Pale hand. Most likely another Mercy faction like the Society. None I have heard of before. This man says he knows how to deal with the Crimson Head menace and is looking for people to ally with. Seeing as the only people I know that are deep into this mess right now are you and the others, I thought I'd check first with you.

However, he is topside and I have no way to send him down to you.

@Raikou: Not wanting to become a halfling Voodoo Doll, you rush towards Rusty, and while doing so, trace Boccob's eye on the palm of your hand. If those birds are resistant to your magic... they won't be after this.

Spoiler: Raikou's Spell
    Show
    True Casting

Round 6

@Raikou: The Siren playing the Dirge of Damnation ceases to do so- no enemies on the ground for her ability to work and sounleashs a volley of arrows at you.

Spoiler: Volley of Arrows
    Show
    1st arrow: 3 damage

2nd arrow: [B8[/B] damage

The other three birds flap their wings and spread out, with each aiming an arrow at the halfling as this one arrow becomes inflamed with purple energy and shoots directly at the Stormcaster, sure to find its way into his heart.

Spoiler: True Strike Arrow Barrage
    Show
    1st Arrow: 7 damage

2nd Arrow: 3 damage

3rd Arrow Crit!: 22 damage

@Rusty: They really want to bring down Raikou. Hopefully the little guy still has some strength left in him to stand after such punishment!

Map

Show
    Cutter Siren x4
    Raikou & Rusty
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-10 at 09:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis & Sharkun: Although both fell at least sixty feet, give or take- it is awfully dark and cavernous for even dwarven sight to check above, never mind any sounds of battle- you are both still alive. One a lot more than the other.

A portion of the bridge has collapsed, not a problem any of you ought to have, since you can either jump over it or fly or teleport or use any manner of tricks to circumvent it.

But their is a fresh trail of blood here, as both walk down the short flight of stairs and peek into the growth encrusted rusted cell door.

Looks like a hornet's nest- a big one, with strange cocoons clinging to the walls, ceiling and floor. Strange pulsating forms can be observed inside, casting off a dim sickening purple color. The cell extends for quite a stretch and you can observe, chained to a wall and gagged, an elven woman:

None of you have ever seen her before, but she does not look in good shape, barely alive and awake as she widens her eyes and rattles her shackles, attempting to break free. if she's saying something, you have no idea what it is.

But she's not the only one here, bound to chains and gagged as well:

One of you may not know her, but the other sure does:

It's Elizabeth...and she's in an even worst state. The old crone isn't even moving as she lays on the ground, all shackled up. A pool of blood around her. The old healer must've been in a fight. A losing one.

@Sharkun:
    You keep scanning for evil and get a slight headache.

It's all over this damn cell. The walls, floor and ceiling... this place is not safe, but will you abandon these two to whatever fate they have been thrown upon?

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-10 at 05:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor does not hesitate before answering, "Creatures like the Crimson Heads are why my order exists, and the restoration of order is pleasing to my mistress. Admittedly, this situation appears to have fallen outside of our prior experiences, but that calls for a change of tactics, not retreat. In more direct terms, yes, I am willing."

"These people you speak of, are they capable in their own right? I can tear down defenses while shielding others from harm, but while far from defenseless, I am not also a champion combatant. That is why I require a team. On a good day, I can make five warriors fight like ten, but I cannot conjure them from thin air."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-10 at 03:46 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis points. "That's Elizabeth, our ally. If she's alive we must save her." He warily heads towards her.

ooc: Spot (1d20+8)[14], Listen (1d20+2)[12]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: The woman listens to your words and flicks the cigar across the alley, bouncing off the wall opposite her and sending a few sparks before it gets lost in a trash heap. After that, she pulls down an emergency ladder and climbs to ground level.

"There are many people here who have devoted themselves to ending problems- living or dead. Nobody would fault you if you retreated; The Mercy has never been a welcoming place for anyone, especially its residents. Many try eking a life here, but the many warlords make it a borrowed life.

Those who decide to move to the City? They have Connor to deal with, not unlike the warlords here, but he just gets away with it in the public eye.

Who knows if we shall see this order you speak of, Jannalor. I doubt it will ever happen. This place has been a mess for over a decade, but at least everyone keeps the rest in check. A dangerous balance indeed, but balance nonetheless.

This plague, however... it's made people a lot more dangerous than before. If there was mistrust amongst the people, add fear and paranoia to the list now. Those with the means to protect themselves do not help others. Nobody wants to risk getting "the wrong ones in". Sadly, that was proven true when the infection first spread. Now we have City Guards killing civilians trying to leave The Mercy just under the minor suspicion they might be sick and spread it to the City, turning it into a pandemic."

Regarding the abilities of those you may be joining to deal with the Necromancer behind it all, the woman rubs her chin in thought.

"Capable... no. I did mention many in their midst have disappeared or died. But they are perseverant. Those that have been here since this whole problem began have not rested and will not rest until whoever is behind this is dealt with. They are strong, though.

In fact, a few of them can be hailed as Champions. They did best the Cold Hammers at the Ludus Magnus. Took on all of them and their leader in one single day."

@Travis: Who did this to Elizabeth? And who is that elf?

You walk into the large cell with Sharkun by your side, letting him know that the old woman is an ally of yours...and hopefully still alive. As you walk through the growth laden cell, your Tremorsense spell allows you to discern any creatures either hiding in the shadows or trapped in those crusty cocoons.

One, two, three... ten. Ten presences, not including Elizabeth and the elf and you two can be felt in this place as you make your way warily towards the healer.

The elven woman, chained and gagged, widens her eyes and tries to say something, but only muffled sounds come forth as she struggles against her restraints. She does look pretty banged up, but unlike Elizabeth, is still awake, enough to notice you.

For what it's worth, none of the creatures that your spell has sensed have come forth to attack you.... this should be a relatively easy rescue mission.

Map

Spoiler: Screenshot
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    "Save your healing spells, I just got the wind knocked out of me and an aspect of my temporary toughness increase from spells is gone.

I don't have a way back up but look, signs of battle here. Maybe Elizabeth fell here just as we did. We should see where that blood trail leads. If it's not a dead end and if the others can join us safely, perhaps we should call them to do so."

"Oh, all right then. I will heal myself, these harpies hit me moderately hard but quite often. And if you have no way to join back with the others, well, I don't either. So let us explore here and find a way to reunite."

He invokes one more spell to restore his health before following the trail with Travis.

Spoiler: More healing
    Show

Applying the two Cure spells to himself, and also converting Remove Disease into Cure Serious Wounds. Heals (3d8+9)[27].

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Travis points. "That's Elizabeth, our ally. If she's alive we must save her." He warily heads towards her.
    [COLOR="#DAA520"]

Sharkun nods.
    "And do you know who the other is? She seems very agitated - but Elizabeth's state seems more urgent, let us go to her first. Now, this place reeks of evil, let me try to understand what exactly is evil there...I will defend you in case some nasty creature comes out of these palpitating globes, but be on your guards...any idea what these pulsating nests might be?"

The desert dwarf walks alongwith Travis, looking out, and then concentrates to garner more precise information about the emanation of the room.

Show

Upon discovering the evil aura of the room, Sharkun concentrates on Detect Evil to gain more information.

Round 1 in the room: Standard action, concentrate on detect evil on the room again to gain more data, move action, follow Travis, swift action, change stance to Iron Guard's Glare (people Sharkun threatens have -4 to attack rolls on people other than him).

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor states, "Indeed, the path to order for this place would be long and perilous. I doubt I will be able to assist with most of it given the way I am likely to be regarded. But the first step is to cut out the cancer. After that, with time, things should heal."

"But for now, you say these people are fighting right this moment? Can they be reached? I will require time to prepare to be fully effective, but I do have some things to offer right now."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-10 at 07:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Raikou is very weakened as the harpies keep harrasing him with their bows, his body pretty much like a voodoo dool. A rather charming one.

"Rusty, I need a doc", he says calling on the power of the storm, "They'll be needing one soon as well".
    The room rumble with rolling thunder as several lightning start crackling around as the jolly halfling riase the rod once more bring more lightning to them. They're resistant to lightning? So let's try a bigger lightning.

Spoiler: Raikou's Vengeance
    Show
    Sculpted Empowered Lightning Bolt (Reflexes DC 20)
    Using metamagic school focus for that.

dmg: (10d6)[34] + 50% for: 51 total

SR:
    vs. #1 (1d20+21)[25]
    vs. #2 (1d20+21)[40]
    vs. #3 (1d20+21)[25]
    vs. #4 (1d20+21)[30]

If the harpies survive the blast, Raikou gulp and look to Rusty.

"Seriously. I need a doctor, Hammer".

Spoiler: Hannibal's Actions
    Show
    Will depend heavyly on Raikou result, so I'll post them after that, but wil probably be WRT Raikou for another shot or taking the halfling and jumping down. But let's see when it comes
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-02-10 at 08:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

@Sharkun: You heal your many wounds and walk into the disgusting cocoon infested cell with Travis, taking note of both chained women. Both gagged. One frantically trying to escape her confines, and the other one on the floor, likewise restrained, but unresponsive.

Your sight can sense several presences in this room, all of them contained within that growth, not unlike a wasp's nest. They don't seem that powerful though, and they don't seem ready to attack. Perhaps you should...

@Travis: As you walk further into the room, your tremor sense both picks up presences- hostile or otherwise- and then as you move further, they disappear from your mind and body. There is a radius for it, after all, but at least you have made a head count of how many there are, when a ghostly green filed of tentacles wraps around your body, similar to the Black tentacles spell, but localized only on you, as it squeezes not your body, but pretty much every spell on it away and causing you to grow back up in size!

Spoiler: Surprise Dispel
    Show
    Greater mage armor
    Heart of earth
    Alter Self
    Dragonskin
    Heroics: Improved Initiative
    Shield
    Reduce person
    Mass Conviction

Who the hell was able to catch you off guard that way... and then you look back at the door as the elven maiden, struggling with her gag and chains rolls her eyes and butts the back of her head against the wall:

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge Dungeoneering to ID it

This guy... you remember him.

Back in the Control Center, when Folkir went to mess with some console, this monster crept up on all of you and nearly choked Raikou to death. It was a blast from the halfling that scared him off and superior numbers.

Now it's just you two and given the wand it is holding in its hand, it knows how to manipulate items of power, much like a rogue.

@Sharkun & Travis: You don't have powerful blasters and a small army, as the cocoons begin to crack open and ten hideous creatures emerge, hungry and ready to devour all of you:

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Knowledge Dungeoneering to ID them

Elizabeth is probably dead... or alive, who knows. The entrance and exit is blocked by that wand wielding monster and ten hideous insect like abominations have just woken up in time for supper.

They may be numerous, but they don't look that dangerous, however let them swarm you, and that could be a different story entirely. The good thing is that at least those ten will take a few seconds to shake off their cocoons and then rush you in.

Round 1

@Sharkun: The same monster that deprived Travis of a bunch of his spells, now seeks to do the same to you, as it activates the wand and a myriad of ghostly green tentacles surround you, attempting to squeeze out every last protection from the Stern Lady!

Spoiler: Dispel Magic- Buffs Removed
    Show
    Heroes' Feast
    Clear Mind
    Elixir of Swimming

And not done yet, the creature grins at both and four identical creatures appear before you as it recedes into the shadows, disappearing entirely as its mocking hiss is all you can catch amidst the screeches from these new foes.

Spoiler: Quickness
    Show

Mirror Image SLA + Shadow Blend: Both Sharkun & Travis roll Spot & Listen

Map

Show
    Chimera x10
    Experiment 003
    Travis
    Sharkun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-11 at 04:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: Barely able to stand from the relentless assault from these birds, you muster pretty much every reserve of power left in you as the entire floor begins to rumble and crackle with electricity, even giving Rusty pause as he moves a single foot away from you.

These things don't know who they are messing with!

The entire floor becomes a spectacle of Thunderous Fury as Cutter's Sirens are all caught in an Aerial Inferno of Lightning as your eyes turn white and every single hair on your body stands on end while you move your hands like an orchestra conductor of Pain, punishing these unholy creations with the Wrath of the Ossian Way, the Eye of Boccob burning deep into your hand as it fulfills its duty to enhance the study of Magic.

@Rusty: Raikou has pulled himself to the limit... or has he?

The halfling is expelling smoke from his entire body as electricity still surges around him, but as you look up...

These things aren't dead yet! They have suffered tremendous damage, that much is certain. But their bodies proved to be resistant to lightning before. If they are still flying- albeit very weakly- they will finish Raikou with another volley of arrows and then go after you.

Map

Show
    Cutter Siren x4
    Raikou & Rusty

@Jannalor: The woman rubs her arms together as a cold gale washes through the alley.

"Many like you have wanted to establish order here, Jannalor. Truth be told, I don't think that can happen.

The Churches and even the king turned their back on this place when it was not, as the Church of Muquol put it "economically viable". Sure, there is a Church Leader appointed by the City for the Mercy: Father Borazon the Merciful of the Church of Phaulkon. I know the guy...knew the guy.

He has been missing for quite some time already and with the King gone and Connor building that damn wall, we are pretty much separated from civilization as we know it. Hence our lovely little world came to be. Can it change? I don't know. But I sure hope we can make it better than what it is now. Not all of us are greedy and want power, Jannalor.

Some of us actually want to help this place prosper, but we are few. Which brings me to your question at hand:

Those who are interested in fixing things are currently engaging the enemy. I wish I knew where and who, but that's why I contacted someone who knows them...

And are currently awaiting an answer for more information."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor nods, "Very well, while we wait, perhaps you could tell me what you know of this mysterious enemy? I encountered a most curious hunter at the Ludus Magnus. He wasn't human, in spite of appearances, simply shrugged off most of my spells, and dodged blows from your two friends as if it was a game to him. I have been trying to decide if he was some manner of fiend or aberration, frankly nothing I can think of quite fits. I have a few ideas on how to counter him next time, but would prefer to minimize the guess work."

The cleric will go ahead and follow the woman if she would prefer to wait and/or speak somewhere else.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-10 at 10:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

@Jannalor: The woman walks with you through the barely lit streets and lights another cigar while checking a spray painted sign on a wall.

"We should be fine here. Hawk Territory. We aren't far from the Bitter Coffee, but no need to go in there now.

Clarity and Lendra mentioned that man too. I had spoken to them several months before regarding him. Some new shadow that has stepped into The Mercy. That man goes by the name of Hathway. Very few warlords here have refused his call, and for good reason:

Hathway is said to be extremely deadly. Nobody who has faced him has survived. If he is a demon or some other inhuman creature, we don't know. The last son of a bitch I knew that sided with Hathway was Boss Sarjon, one of The Mercy's most ruthless warlords to date.

When Borazon, Archaidous, Nyx and several others took him down- and not an easy fight it was- they discovered Sarjon had been taking orders from a man named Hathway. His diary even mentioned fear towards the guy. An unknown who knew everyone of import in The Mercy.

A few months later, he manipulated The Rooster Gang to activate the Hellbore Tank and begin what could well have spelled the end for The Mercy. Those involved with the Roosters were dealt swift justice by a combined effort of several factions, including the Raptorans, who would rather not get involved with anyone from the ground.

Hathway was nowhere to be seen. I heard those that took down the tank had their work cut out for them because that same day, the Crimson Head Panic began. Now you're thinking:

Hathway is behind it all, right? We find him, kill him, and that's it.

That idea has been considered and tried. Several times. That man is skilled. None I know here has the abilities Hathway possesses and yet, although he could proclaim his rule over The Mercy, he does not, sending proxies to do his bidding.

It would be nice knowing that you have him figured out. Maybe if he pops up again, we can put him down permanently.""

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I would not claim to have figured him out, but the right series of actions may strip him of some of the more formidable aspects of his defense, render him closer to being vulnerable. Unfortunately, the only way to be sure would be to try it, a dangerous prospect to say the least for someone merely guessing at the full extent of things."

"Can you tell me of this strike team I may be joining?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: Pain courses through your entire body as the Eye of Boccob begins to fade and so do you.

That stone floor with your blood seems rather comfortable now for a little nap... and then Hammers barks some orders towards you as he aims at the beasts with his hammer.

"It's not over till the fat lady sings... and I don't see Elizabeth anywhere here, do you? Go, Pikachu... GO!!!!

The Eye of Boccob is barely an outline on your hand as your mind tells you to stop. These are dangerous levels of power you are amassing. Enough to kill you, but your spirit is driven.

You are taking those birds down, even if it kills you!

With a yell that could bring down the entire Ashford Manor, you once again weave the destructive powers of the Ossian Way and punish these fiends with as much lightning as you can, charring all four as they shriek in pain and in an electric explosion of blood and feathers, two of these monsters plummet, very much dead, deeper into the bowels Specimen Storage.

You got two... but not all. Two of these bastards have managed to resist your attack! Can't risk pulling the big guns again without being killed. You need time. You need to be unseen, as you fall on your knees and look at Rusty, smiling weakly, bleeding all over and giving him an accomplice wink. Cheerful even in the face of Death itself.

And so, looking at the Man with a Plan, you wink out of sight.

Spoiler: Raikou's Respite
    Show
    Swift Invisibility

Round 7

@Rusty: The little guy did well. He earned himself a break, but now the two remaining fiends, still smoking from Raikou's two successive spells, growl and screech in anger as they aim at the halfling, but cannot see him.

Of course- these things were crafted by Cutter. Imperfect and, what's the word Alexia likes to use? "Flawed". They can't catch him, which means their wrath will be now felt by you, but you can take it, as you grip the hammer with both hands and brace for impact as the wretched feathered beasts unleash a hailstorm of arrows in your direction, piercing your chest, arms and legs without mercy.

Spoiler: Arrow Volley
    Show
    1st Arrow Crit!: 18 damage

2nd Arrow: 4 damage

3rd Arrow: 5 damage

4th Arrow: 10 damage

5th Arrow: 4 damage

It hurts. But at least the little guy is safe and you can take it, but who knows for how long?

Map

Show
    Cutter Siren x2
    Raikou & Rusty

@Jannalor: The woman reclines against a wall, but not before making sure it's clean, or as clean as it can be.

"If we can herd Hathway into a place where his skills can be obsolete, then yes. I believe we may have a chance. Me personally? I wouldn't want to have to fight him.

Clarity and Lendra are two of the toughest warriors I have met here and they told me they felt utterly helpless against that guy. Almost as if he was toying with them. Maybe you weren't around back then, but Sarjon was a beast. That guy commanded respect from several factions. All gave him tribute and even he was shown to be afraid of this Hathway.

I don't know what his agenda is for The Mercy. Nothing good clearly, but what exactly, is what we few are trying to figure out. As for the "Strike team"? Like I said, it's changed over the last few weeks, but to give you a close gauge:

A Hammer wielding warrior of...""

The woman looks at your holy symbol and takes a puff from her cigar.

"Fortune and Money, but not the only one.

There's a dwarf mercenary as well. Seen him around. Works for the highest bidder. Said to shatter buildings with his axe.

There's a former teacher at the now pretty much defunct House of Knowledge in The Mercy. A mage, rather skilled.

And then there's the halfling; the guy literally fell off the sky. Everyone saw it that morning at the market place. I heard he survived the fall and much worse since. they say he can call on the power of a storm and decimate entire City blocks with ease.

Yeah... that would be your strike team. IF they contact me on where to take you, since I have no idea where they are at this point.""
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-11 at 01:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

@Sharkun: This is not the first time you have faced seemingly impossible odds.

Life in the Waste is rather unforgiving. Caravans are usually raided by bandits and worse. During your younger years as a neophyte and cadet under Captain Jafar Anderson, you found yourself facing off against odds easily five to one and yet, because of your rigorous training in the Sublime Way, you were able to keep those under your charge safe.

Usually, you had to be patched back to consciousness afterwards, but those bandits learned the hard way not to mess with your and those under your care.

These creatures- grotesque mixtures of men and insects, crawling out of an alien womb and still dripping embryonic fluids from their distended mandibles and hooked claws... they shall be no different.

These things coming out of the nests are a completely new life form. Nothing you have seen in your travels comes remotely close, but given what Rusty and Travis briefed you about, they were once human beings, experimented and turned into the nightmarish beings you are now facing.

Their hides are tough, so unless you have arrows or tridents or spears, you may still hurt them, but not as much. Given that there are so many, chances are they will attempt to swarm both you and Travis, but worse...

If what you have heard about the undead plague is true, these creatures may also carry some form of disease.

Then your attention goes into the bald long limbed creature that dispelled both you and Travis.

An uncommon sight world wide, that's an aberration known colloquially as The Choker, because of the nasty habit it possesses to strangle prey at long distances, usually from the shadows. These creatures are so fast, they are able to not only climb walls and become virtually invisible and unheard- which is the case now for you- but they are able to multitask.

They could strangle a prey with one arm while using the other to swat any would be rescuers away and still drag its choked foe away. This has been demonstrated now, when it dispelled you with the use of a wand and was still able to use some innate spell casting to create illusions.

Tales say that truly cowardly thieves are cursed by the Gods and turned into these beings upon death and their eventual reincarnation. Whether a curse for them or you, however, that is a different matter entirely.

Map

Show
    Chimera x10
    Experiment 003
    Travis
    Sharkun
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-11 at 02:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun warns Travis, as to his dismay he loses sight of the Choker that just robbed them of many of their protections.
    "Careful Travis, I think these insectoid things carry a form of plague! And if you want to invoke something to fight for us, invoke a creature with piercing weaponry! And that Choker, I think it can strangle you and grab you up to him! Do you have countermeasures for that? I will try to free the conscious woman over there, at worst she can escape, at best she can help us!"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Raikou's body is brought to the limit as he watch two harpie still fly around, his body is smoking from the arcane effort and he catch his breath as he cast his veiling and his arcane enhancing spell once more.

One more round.

Spoiler: Raikou's Action
    Show
    Swift invisibility and true casting

Hannibal look around and keep defending himself, steeling himself for another salvo of arrows.
    "Let's finsih these hags on next attack, shall we?"

Spoiler: Stone Power
    Show
    Recovering my maneuvers and using Stone Power for -5 on atatcks and 10 temporary hp.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor nods, "It sounds like a start, though perhaps a few more could be found? Five seems an inauspicious number for an undertaking of this importance."

"On the other hand I suppose volunteers of any real skill are few and far between. Very well, what would you have of me in the meantime?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-11 at 09:58 AM.