New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Overwatch: Thread of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by HasSIn View Post
    I have to disagree with you on that. A boosted body shot from Widow does 156 dmg and 162 from Hanzo. That's enough to kill Tracer and baby Dva and finish off a 200-hp hero who took some splash damage from Phara or Junk. Also, a half-charged shot from Widow now does 80 dmg, so 156 + 80 is more than enough to kill all 200 hp heroes. And sure, 390 headshot from Widow and 325 from Hanzo doesn't change much when shooting the squishies, but makes a huge difference against tanks. And as Rynjin said, it makes Hanzo's scatter more reliable. Furthermore, Widow's headshots give Mercy an insane amount of ultimate charge.
    That's fair, but in light of the whole (positioning, marginal advantage, and infosec), I'd still suggest spending your time doing something other. Ultimately, the only test that matters is 'did you win'? If your snipers appreciate being boosted, there's nothing wrong with boosting them. My preference, however, is that you let me do my thing, when I'm on my snipers, and when I'm on Mercy, I actually just like using the popgun over boosting, in almost every case. 400 extra damage from mag-dumping Mercy's Caduceus blaster can be the difference between breaking a shield and not, between de-suiting a D.va or letting her escape, etc. If having Ana shoot tangoes with her gun is worth doing at 84 DPS and reloading every 10 rounds, then Mercy swapping to her popgun, dumping her mag, then swapping back where it will be reloaded automatically is definitely worthwhile. The one benefit of boosting over shooting is the ability to contribute while remaining behind cover, but if your tank is doing their job, that shouldn't be necessary.

Maybe part of my disdain for boosting is my disdain for my teammates' aim, target priority, and decision making. Find me someone who can hit consistently, and maybe I'll appreciate boosting more.

Here's an interesting vid I came across in my feed that does a good job of articulating my reservations about playing tank roles:

Thoughts?
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2018-04-17 at 07:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Can I get as hoo-rah! Die Junkrat, die. All good news here, except that Hanzo may be so effective that McCree winds up being relegated to the basement. We'll see.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

New PTR patch is out lots of changes.

Hanzo rework it out, Scatter Arrow is gone replaced with a Rapid shot ability that fires arrows at full power instantly. And he has a new leap ability that functions like a longer distance Mcree roll.

Tracers pulse bomb now does 300 i stead of 400.

Genjis deflect hitbox has been reduced significantly.

Junkrats projectile size has been reduced and the buff to his riptire speed has been reverted.

Lucios wallride has been changed so that small changes in the wall youre riding wont effect you as much, and you can ride around corners now. And his boop no longer consumes ammo.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

does this mean Genji cant kill a bastion by sneaking up behind him and turning on deflect anymore?

Huzzah!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

That Lucio wall-ride buff is a godsend for playing on consoles. Even adjusting the controls and practising it out for some time, it's finicky as all hells to manage your momentum while aiming and kind of suicidal on points like Lijiang Tower where carelessness leads to instant death.

That or when you get knocked off the map edge or into a pit and manage to catch a wall so you can try and angle yourself upwards to safety, unless its an elimination deal it's often just easier to die and speed boost back into the action.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    does this mean Genji cant kill a bastion by sneaking up behind him and turning on deflect anymore?

Huzzah!
    That can still happen. What it *will* do is make it easier for McCree to flashbang him by throwing at his feet, and it will also generally lower the area he can screen by jumping in front of a fire strike or some-such. In all, it's a reduction in deflect's offensive and team utility, but it's still about the same in terms of its ability to protect him.

If you're pinning your hopes on Bastion becoming meta on this Genji nerf, however, I think you'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    That Lucio wall-ride buff is a godsend for playing on consoles. Even adjusting the controls and practising it out for some time, it's finicky as all hells to manage your momentum while aiming and kind of suicidal on points like Lijiang Tower where carelessness leads to instant death.

That or when you get knocked off the map edge or into a pit and manage to catch a wall so you can try and angle yourself upwards to safety, unless its an elimination deal it's often just easier to die and speed boost back into the action.
    I can imagine. I'm a PC elitist, and I still find Lucio's wall-ride to be infuriatingly inconsistent. I can't imagine the fury-generator that is getting him to work on a controller.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2018-04-20 at 12:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Good riddance to that stupid scatter arrow. That change is at least a year overdue. I don't think Hanzo needed any of the other changes he's getting along with that, but I'm okay with whatever they need to do as long as scatter arrow disappears into the depths of oblivion once and for all. However, I think the video posted is right that this is going to harm McCree's pick rate and result in him falling off big time.

Nerfing the over-generous hitbox of Genji's deflect is also long overdue. Happy to see they don't feel any need to compensate him for it, either.

I'm not sold on the need for the Tracer nerf. I think it's fair for pulse bomb to be great at killing tanks, since that's pretty much the only people she can reliably hit with it. Getting a big damage nerf like that should come with a trade-off, like making it seek targets a bit more or something.

Lucio buffs are good, although these aren't the ones I would have chosen if it were up to me. He's still my favorite healer though, so anything that makes him better is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how to feel about the Junkrat nerf. He is annoying, but won't nerfing Rip Tire's speed just bring back the old problem of making it super easy to shoot down?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Good riddance to that stupid scatter arrow. That change is at least a year overdue. I don't think Hanzo needed any of the other changes he's getting along with that, but I'm okay with whatever they need to do as long as scatter arrow disappears into the depths of oblivion once and for all. However, I think the video posted is right that this is going to harm McCree's pick rate and result in him falling off big time.

Nerfing the over-generous hitbox of Genji's deflect is also long overdue. Happy to see they don't feel any need to compensate him for it, either.

I'm not sold on the need for the Tracer nerf. I think it's fair for pulse bomb to be great at killing tanks, since that's pretty much the only people she can reliably hit with it. Getting a big damage nerf like that should come with a trade-off, like making it seek targets a bit more or something.

Lucio buffs are good, although these aren't the ones I would have chosen if it were up to me. He's still my favorite healer though, so anything that makes him better is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how to feel about the Junkrat nerf. He is annoying, but won't nerfing Rip Tire's speed just bring back the old problem of making it super easy to shoot down?
    If I could remove one character from the game it would be junkrat. So anything that removes him from near mandatory pickrate is very welcome.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Junkrat has a very, very fast ultimate charge, and it does immense damage, so personally, I'm okay with it getting some counter-play. Besides, it still keeps its 'quiet motor' trick, and you can always drop it in from above. When Junk's average tire kills are below McCree's deadeye, I'll start to worry about him.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Junkrat has a very, very fast ultimate charge, and it does immense damage, so personally, I'm okay with it getting some counter-play. Besides, it still keeps its 'quiet motor' trick, and you can always drop it in from above. When Junk's average tire kills are below McCree's deadeye, I'll start to worry about him.
    quiet motor trick?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    quiet motor trick?

It's not silent, but in a chaotic battle where there's a lot going on, the lower volume can help you get the drop on enemies.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you guys think this current Retribution event compares to last year's Uprising event?

On the whole, it feels less exciting and much easier to me (though I haven't played around in the higher difficulties yet). Maybe it's because there's a tiny, tiny fraction of the amount of enemies. Maybe it's the decreased sense of urgency since there's no payload to protect and no objective other than to survive and escape. Maybe it's because the whole stage reminds me of Left 4 Dead but with significantly less challenging enemies.

I'm not saying that it isn't fun, but it's less fun. I'm glad last year's Uprising mode is also available, as I enjoy playing that more.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its a conga line of bodies to shoot. I like the new special enemy types, but I think they could have done with a couple more, like ones that produced barriers, or that healed, or threw biotic grenades, or boosted damage.

7/10 would play again. Uprising was an 8.5/10
    Last edited by Keltest; 2018-04-24 at 09:00 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you guys think this current Retribution event compares to last year's Uprising event?

On the whole, it feels less exciting and much easier to me (though I haven't played around in the higher difficulties yet). Maybe it's because there's a tiny, tiny fraction of the amount of enemies. Maybe it's the decreased sense of urgency since there's no payload to protect and no objective other than to survive and escape. Maybe it's because the whole stage reminds me of Left 4 Dead but with significantly less challenging enemies.

I'm not saying that it isn't fun, but it's less fun. I'm glad last year's Uprising mode is also available, as I enjoy playing that more.
    I played once and then only play the new 6v6 elimination mode, which is imo the best mode in the game atm.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its a conga line of bodies to shoot. I like the new special enemy types, but I think they could have done with a couple more, like ones that produced barriers, or that healed, or threw biotic grenades, or boosted damage.

7/10 would play again. Uprising was an 8.5/10
    I'm on the inverse of this. It's basically Left4Dead, Overwatch Edition, which, in my opinion, makes it profoundly more interesting the Uprising sled-ride. The one thing I think was missing is that you never faced multiple special Talon operatives, like a Sniper and an Assassin at once, like you would occasionally in actual L4D. I do agree that more enemy types would be welcome, but I definitely prefer the 'get across the map' game to the 'ride this palette jack down the street' game. I would also liked to have seen on final 'end-boss', Junkenstein style. Honestly, though, they could do a mish-mash of the all the enemy types created so far, spawn them on a procedurally generated map, and let me and 3 other folks start blowing people up, and I'd be quite happy to play that mode indefinitely.

I do like both events, but Retribution felt more fun to me.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Retribution was neat and all but I just had bought Vermintide anyway so it only kept my interest for one run.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-04-26 at 12:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think we can all agree the real victims of Retribution are the silverware and robot seaters.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I'm on the inverse of this. It's basically Left4Dead, Overwatch Edition, which, in my opinion, makes it profoundly more interesting the Uprising sled-ride. The one thing I think was missing is that you never faced multiple special Talon operatives, like a Sniper and an Assassin at once, like you would occasionally in actual L4D. I do agree that more enemy types would be welcome, but I definitely prefer the 'get across the map' game to the 'ride this palette jack down the street' game. I would also liked to have seen on final 'end-boss', Junkenstein style. Honestly, though, they could do a mish-mash of the all the enemy types created so far, spawn them on a procedurally generated map, and let me and 3 other folks start blowing people up, and I'd be quite happy to play that mode indefinitely.

I do like both events, but Retribution felt more fun to me.
    All heroes definitely uses multiple types at once

For the last bit, the snipers can spawn in with the Assassin and the Heavy, but I think only on higher difficulties.

But yes, Retribution is a much better designed event

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    All heroes definitely uses multiple types at once

For the last bit, the snipers can spawn in with the Assassin and the Heavy, but I think only on higher difficulties.

But yes, Retribution is a much better designed event
    From what I've played, regular Retribution is technically easier because even on Legendary, you usually get multiple specials spawned if you try to run past everything (not recommended, since there are several sections that lock the doors until you kill everything. Though the art gallery is technically skippable if you get everyone into the restaurant area, which is useful for skipping that assassin.) Though there are the double snipers across from the bridge after you clear out the opera house, and the final double Heavy Assault before the escape (which is where all of my runs so far have failed.)

All-Heroes throws out more enemies, shuffles up special appearances (I've had one game where the Heavy Assault appeared right after you blow up the door in the beginning. )

I overall like Retribution much more because it doesn't have the time and destructible payload pressures from Uprising.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I overall like Retribution much more because it doesn't have the time and destructible payload pressures from Uprising.
    I'm fine with Uprising having an escort component, it's just that it tends to be a lot more 'stay in one place and wait for things to approach you', which limits the variety of Heroes that can be used effectively. Much like Junkertown, Uprising is a cakewalk for a Pirate Ship strat, and a lot less forgiving if you want to some different Heroes. Retribution is much more flexible. You still want to have a healer, and tanks certainly bring lots of value, but I've also done a double-sniper run (me on Widow, another guy on Hanzo, and another DPS plus Moira on heals) and we DOMINATED.

One thing I can't advise people enough: Play defensively. Most enemies' attacks can be dodged or avoided, and there's no timer you're running against. If you're willing to kite enemies and engage smart, I think you could beat Legendary with any comp.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh, one other thing: Sombra is suprisingly effective in the Retribution event. Hack disrupts assassins, and EMP strips spawns of shotgun troops of their shielding, and her SMG does pretty good sustained damage. She doesn't burst as high as Tracer, but with 60 rounds in the mag and a slightly better range, she's pretty decent.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, one other thing: Sombra is suprisingly effective in the Retribution event. Hack disrupts assassins, and EMP strips spawns of shotgun troops of their shielding, and her SMG does pretty good sustained damage. She doesn't burst as high as Tracer, but with 60 rounds in the mag and a slightly better range, she's pretty decent.
    hacking an assassin is hilarious, because all of their movement abilities are disabled and no matter what theyre doing, they fall on their face.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

I got all the skins I wanted from the event, except the Sombra Skin. That's the only skin I wanted but wasn't able to get. Ah well, got everything else. Including the Moria Skin.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I got all the skins I wanted from the event, except the Sombra Skin. That's the only skin I wanted but wasn't able to get. Ah well, got everything else. Including the Moria Skin.
    Bummer. I got the Sombra skin, so I'm a happy camper.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I got the Mei skin at the literal last minute today in an amazing double legendary loot box. The other skin was blackhardt, which is a cool skin.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Blackhardt is AWESOME. I can't see myself ever using another Rein skin.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't do that well getting skins this time around - I think I only got Reaper and Hanzo's new ones, neither of whom I play all that much. But considering how infrequently I play anymore, I'm not too concerned about it.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

So, the Hanzo rework feels pretty good so far. The projectile speed increase and the rapid fire E ability let him function in a similar role to mid-long range hitscans.

The added mobility of his leap is helpful, as well. The fact that he can leap sideways or backwards while the bow is fully drawn is a huge improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't do that well getting skins this time around - I think I only got Reaper and Hanzo's new ones, neither of whom I play all that much. But considering how infrequently I play anymore, I'm not too concerned about it.
    I bought Moira's Blackwatch skin before the event ended, if only because I wanted a much less silly looking skin than Minister/Oasis skin that I had. Kind of wish the Blackwatch skin had more of the subtle yellow/purple dichotomy the others have but it is a very good looking skin nonetheless.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the Hanzo rework, but I miss the days when sometimes I'd get into a Quick Play match where there were no one-hit-kill headshot heroes on the enemy team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?