New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default When's the next book due? Roughly?

Hello, I did enough searching of Oots news, of the forum, and of its rules to be able to plead plausible deniability just in case I didn't do enough searching. (Yes, this makes little sense)

The latest book goes from strip 670-something to 940-something, which is 270 strips. The last strip was 1111, which is 230 strips since the latest book's end. Even though each new book is bigger than the previous one, there is some kind of point at which this must stop, or they will be unwieldy, and Richard Burlew might expose himself to a carpal tunnel victims class-action.

My hypothesis is therefore that the next book will also be around 270 strips, and is therefore due in 40 strips, which is a few months to one year. I'm a tiny little bit tired of the addiction of going to webpages everyday to check if new comics are up, and would rather wait until the book has been printed (not even mentioning that it's better for Richard Burlew's finances).

Is anyone able to roughly confirm or infirm this hypothesis?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: When's the next book due? Roughly?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No. It's going to be as long as it's going to be. However long that may be. Guessing schedules only leads to tears and bans.

The only solution I know of is to find stuff on the forum to enjoy and follow daily-ish. Luckily there are a lot of creative, intelligent people with similar interests with the exact same problem as me so I've found several threads and sections to keep me distracted.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-01-30 at 08:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe there is a statement that there will be 7 main books, even if the last one is going to be unwieldy, but I can't find said quote, but I don't think you can judge a book by it page count.

Also, we are getting a side book "probably not that far in the future".
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Who is that "OOTS Truth" person on the Twitter thread? Seems like a troll, but that avatar just speaks to a level of vindictiveness that many trolls don't reach.

Anyway, as already mentioned the next book will be as long as it needs to be for Rich to tell the story he wants to tell. Fortunately it looks like we'll get a "side" book in the near future, so that may help your book craving until the next "main" release comes along.

Also note that Rich is probably still fulfilling Kickstarter obligations, which also may factor in to any waiting period. Good on him for keeping up with the Kickstarter stuff, I say--I wasn't a backer at that time but I respect Rich for continuing to work on fulfilling his Kickstarter promises even after all this time (many Kickstarters would have long given up by now).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Who is that "OOTS Truth" person on the Twitter thread? Seems like a troll, but that avatar just speaks to a level of vindictiveness that many trolls don't reach.
    I have my own private guess, a user that the Giant called out and banned, but saying more about it would fall under "discussion of banned users" so you'll have to do your own legwork.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I have my own private guess, a user that the Giant called out and banned, but saying more about it would fall under "discussion of banned users" so you'll have to do your own legwork.

GW
    Yeah, after my post I went poking around their Twitter feed. It was exactly the sort of content you might expect...I'll say no more on the matter for fear of The Rules.

Back on topic(ish): Any guesses as to what other "Azure City themed" stuff might be included in this near future book? I haven't read How the Paladin Got His Scar, so I can't comment on its content, but my guess is maybe a map of Azure City might be included? Maybe even an entry similar to the one we got in the Gobbotopia comic?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I believe Rich estimated (on the forum) when the Order left the Godsmoot that the current book was about 1/3 done. Not entirely certain, though.

Having looked at "OOTSTruth"'s tweets, I am all but certain he's the same poster Grey Wolf is thinking of.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    I believe there is a statement that there will be 7 main books, even if the last one is going to be unwieldy, but I can't find said quote, but I don't think you can judge a book by it page count.
    Here you go:
    Yeah, it'll be seven, even if the last one looks like a phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I believe Rich estimated (on the forum) when the Order left the Godsmoot that the current book was about 1/3 done. Not entirely certain, though.
    Something of the sort, yes.

The reason that this scene is not the climactic pay-off that everyone seems to be looking for is because this is not the climax of this story. This is the beginning of this story. The point of this scene was to elucidate the stakes for the rest of this plotline and set up the conflict, so complaining that it does not resolve said conflict is completely missing the point.

This is the equivalent of the scene where Tarquin stands on the balcony and tells Elan about how he's schemed to bring three nations under his control and how they're going to have a great duel someday, and Elan looks on in horror at the giant flaming letters. Which, if you'll remember, occurred one-third of the way through the last book, about where we are now....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    Who is that.....

I seldom read "Twitter" so I was unaware of those messages, I know I shouldn't be suprised anymore as
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ....the world is a very big place with lots of people with internet access now and someone somewhere sometime has probably voiced most every opinion that may be imagined....
    , yet I'm still amazed by that level of weird.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by pouzzler View Post
    The latest book goes from strip 670-something to 940-something, which is 270 strips. The last strip was 1111, which is 230 strips since the latest book's end.
    947 to 1111 are 165 strips, not 230.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Porthos is thoughtfully maintaining a comparison of the various books by page count. Looks like we've got a ways to go yet for this book, if the previous books are a guide.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    947 to 1111 are 165 strips, not 230.
    The worrying thing is that I just accepted it, I thought: Wow, has it really been 230 strips? It seems like very little has happened...

And I didn't even realize that 1111-947 didn't equal 230.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

It didn't really seem all that off to me to think that we might be coming up on the climactic confrontation of this book--though that would have made it more straightforward than any since Dungeon Crawlin' Fools.

But no, we've probably still got a ways to go.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: This treads into update schedule discussion territory, so while it's been quite civil and possibly informative, I need to close this thread.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex