New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Let’s create the scientific names for 5e races

What most have been about half a year ago when I was explaining to my table my homebrew campaign setting during session 0, a question that came up quite a lot where about what certain races were like in that setting. Ultimately my explanation were that all of the races were actually in the same genus as humans, homo, but each of them were a different species. My intensely nerdy friends then jokingly started making scientific names for each of the races that were brought up. At first this was a joke, but eventually it came to mind that in some campaign settings this may actually be relevant. Due to the presence of wizards and other super geniuses, it seems safe to assume that in many D&D settings that people were intelligent enough to discover accurate scientific classification for animals. That, and the Catholic Church isn’t there in D&D land to tell them that they can’t dissect anything. To further the immersive quality of the worlds I am creating, I aimed to create scientific names for each of the races. So far I have compiled a list below, but I have not studied Latin in quite some time, so I wanted some help as to what would be accurate

tl;dr: in the campaign settings I plan on running they are going to have accurate animal classification, so I am trying to create some scientific names for all the 5e races.

I am running under the assumption that all of the races are under the homo genus. Considering that these are fantasy races which were not made with scientific accuracy in mind, a lot of them are hard to classify. Especially anthropomorphic animals are extremely difficult. I suppose that some of them were hominids or even just primates, but due to the similar thought processes shared by them I am guessing they are all in the same genus as humans.

Humanoids
    Aasimar: Homo sapien angelus
    Bugbear: Homo cobalus insidiis
    Dwarf: Homo sapien invaluerunt
    Elf: Homo sapien insomnia
    Firbolg: Homo gigas druidae
    Genasi: Homo sapien elementum
    Gnome: Homo brevis callidus
    Goblin: Homo cobalus adsignatos
    Goliath: Homo gigas monticalla
    Halfling: Homo brevis felix
    Hobgoblin: Homo cobalus militum
    Orc: Homo erectus muta
    Tiefling: Homo sapien diabolus
    Triton: Homo aquatilium custos

Reptilians
    Dragonborn: Draco hominem maiorem
    Kobold: Draco hominem luminare
    Lizardfolk: Iguana hominem
    Tortle: Chelonoidis hominem
    Yuan-ti: Homo sapien anguis

Other
    Aarakockra: Haliaeetus hominem
    Kenku: Corvus hominem
    Tabaxi: Felis hominem
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-02-02 at 07:10 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Let’s create the scientific names for 5e races

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    I suppose that some of them were hominids or even just primates, but due to the similar thought processes shared by them I am guessing they are all in the same genus as humans.
    This is where I think that you're going to run into trouble. The standard Fantasy world that we're operating in under 5e rules (Forgotten Realms) doesn't have many of these creatures necessarily evolve, but they are created. You have literal gods making the Gnomes out of mystical gems found in the earth. Meanwhile, Dragonborn come from another version of the world, and so would likely have no similar ancestor to humans. Aarakocra (at least in 5e) come from the Elemental Plane of Air. How would they have similar ancestors to humans? Same with Tritons and the Plane of Water.

Even if evolution were the key factor here, Lizardfolk would have evolved from...well...lizards, not primates.

While you could probably do a breakdown of humans and the various planetouched races (Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi) as well as the Half- species (Half-Elf and Half-Orc), the fact that these races can interbreed points to a lack of speciation in them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You've covered most of the PC races. How about:

Homo taurus: minotaur
    Homo hyaenis: gnoll
    Draconis rex: true dragon
    Draconis umbrae: shadow dragon
    Draconis nympharaeum: faerie dragon

I've toyed with this myself from time to time.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    This is where I think that you're going to run into trouble. The standard Fantasy world that we're operating in under 5e rules (Forgotten Realms) doesn't have many of these creatures necessarily evolve, but they are created. You have literal gods making the Gnomes out of mystical gems found in the earth. Meanwhile, Dragonborn come from another version of the world, and so would likely have no similar ancestor to humans. Aarakocra (at least in 5e) come from the Elemental Plane of Air. How would they have similar ancestors to humans? Same with Tritons and the Plane of Water.

Even if evolution were the key factor here, Lizardfolk would have evolved from...well...lizards, not primates.

While you could probably do a breakdown of humans and the various planetouched races (Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasi) as well as the Half- species (Half-Elf and Half-Orc), the fact that these races can interbreed points to a lack of speciation in them.
    Oh, yeah...

This complicates things.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be able to interbreed, and create fertile offspring, wouldn't they have to be part of the same species? This would force you to add "sapiens" in between "homo" and whatever thing you put afterward.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Science?

Um...okay, check it out:

Spoiler: Humans and "Demi-Humans"
    Show
    Some theft inspiration from:

http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.c...olution-happen

And my own fever dreams:

"It is clear that elves, men, and orcs are members of a single species. Dwarves and gnomes, while unquestionably related, have completed speciation and do not interbreed as members of the H. sapiens subspecies do. But halflings are more closely related to elves and humans than the most recent common ancestor of dwarves and gnomes, which creates this phylogenetic tree:

It is evident that the gigantism of humans is an innovation not present in the basal demihuman.

The only remaining issue is the placement of elves and orcs relative to humans. Casual study suggests many similarities between elves and humans, but the anthropological literature [T54] suggests that elves and orcs are quite closely related and thus these superficial similarities are merely the result of convergent evolution between elves and the human outgroup.

[T54]: J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings (1954).
    "

An alternative idea from:

"After some in-depth research into the development of various humanoid races, I've developed a corpus of theory as to their development. Upon my return from their habitat, I plan to publish the following in some sort of respectable journal, perhaps the Journal of Edible Races. While snoozing off their weekly dinner of ponies, I'm sure the other dragons will enjoy reading it over:

Naturally, all the humanoid races descended from some common bipedal primate. Since then, however, they have evolved into two species, with a total of five subspecies (plus three common hybrids. Broadly, these can be divided into the larger-statured humanoids: the humans, orcs, and elves, and the smaller statured humanoids: the dwarves and halflings. These two populations are not known to interbreed and produce offspring, so they should be considered separate species, but the subspecies interbreed regularly, producing some interesting hybrids.

Homo Sapiens

Humans (Homo Sapiens Sapiens)

Humans are predominantly farmers in fertile regions. They are believed to be the least differentiated stock of the homo sapiens branch of humanoids, being smaller than the hill-dwelling orcs and larger than the forest-dwelling elves. Over the past few million years, they've been engaging in low-level farming from small villages, trading regularly with both orcs and elves for resources. Recently, they've begun to domesticate some wild horses, which are driving both the development of larger societies and rapid technological improvement.

Orcs (Homo Sapiens Moria)

The orcs, unlike humans, do not rely on farming. They form hunter gatherer clans in upland regions inhabited by large animals such as oiliphants and griffins. It's believed that their hunting of these creatures has led to their evolving much stockier frames than their lowland counterparts. The breed freely with humans, producing half orcs.

It's not known if orcs and elves would be capable of producing offspring, as they do not regularly come into contact with one another. If not, then homo sapiens is a fascinating example of a ring species.

Elves (Homo Sapiens Lorien)

Elves have adapted to forest life, with small, slight bodies but surprisingly powerful arms. They live largely in homes built in the branches of large trees and coming down to the ground to hunt for game and to collect fruit.

In general, elves undertake these activities at night, possibly due to the presence of bands of forest-dwelling humans during the day. This nocturnal/diurnal duality allows elves and humans to coexist peacefully, and has also driven the elves to develop larger ears and pronounced eyes to better sense in the dark. They interbreed with humans where their ranges overlap, but this is looked down on by both humans and elves, probably due to the facts that elven frames are poorly suited to farm labor and that humans don't operate well during twilight hours.

Homo Dwarfus

Homo dwarfus has two subspecies: the dwarves and the halflings. These two races can interbreed, with the cross generally being referred to as the gnomes.

Interestingly, unlike half-orcs and half-elves, the gnomes have formed their own societies of multi-generational gnome families. It's viewed as likely, based on this, that they may develop into what could be considered a subspecies of homo dwarfus in their own right.

Dwarves (Homo Dwarfus Dwarfus)

Short and stocky, the dwarves have evolved for life underground. Like orcs, they are commonly found in hills and mountains, but have opted for a different evolutionary path.

Dwarves build elaborate warrens beneath the Earth, bringing many families together for mutual defense and child rearing. Moving through both natural and artificial tunnels has selected for short, powerful frames with large noses for drawing in more of what is often poor quality air. Dwarves have evolved a farming culture similar to humans, but in absence of good food crops growing on the surface, the dwarves have taken to gathering nutrient poor plant materials, such as grasses, in large store rooms underground. These materials are then used to grow nutritious mushrooms, as well as to brew alcohol in great quantities.

Unfortunately, the same behavior that has brought about these fascinating behavioral changes has also given dwarves a keen interest in mineral treasures, as is known by dragons across the land who have had to deal with dwarf infestations in their treasure chambers.

Halflings (Homo Sapiens Hobbitus)

Some dwarves, however, have moved back to the surface, and evolved into a small race known as the halflings. While retaining the burrow-building behaviors of their ancestors, halflings have moved to lowland areas where they have learned to farm from nearby humans. While incapable of interbreeding due to having fully speciated, humans and halflings form intermingled societies in some areas, with halflings appreciating the protection their larger neighbors provide and humans enjoying the fact that generations of life underground have left the halflings as experts at digging and brewing a large variety of fermented drinks.

Halflings, without the pressures of a harsh life in the mountains, are generally slighter of build than dwarves, and have lost the exceptional senses that dwarves have developed for a life underground.

Unfortunately, some halflings seem to have retained the dwarven penchant for treasure. Care should be taken to make sure that any halfling populations living in the vicinity of dragons do not become a nuisance.

Gnomes

In areas where halflings and dwarves live somewhat close together, they occasionally crossbreed, giving birth to hybrids known as gnomes. Gnomes retain dwarven senses, but with the slighter builds of halflings. In many areas, they've taken up roles as go-betweens for these two groups, as well as trading with any humans, orcs, and elves in the area.

In their wide exposure to many cultures during their lives as nomadic, traveling merchants, the gnomes have also picked up a penchant for combining and improving upon inventions created by the other humanoid races. They've also gained some sense in their travels, rarely pilfering from the homes of dragons, though this fact should be well known to anyone in posession of one of their excellent anti-dwarf horde security systems
    "

My theories aren't crazy at all!
    Just because those blind fools at the Mages Guild roll their eyes, and won't admit the truth!
    I'll show them! All show them all!

First, the half-elves, and half-orcs among us show that elves, humans, and orcs are in fact the same species!
    Humans are actually descendents of long ago Elves and Orcs.
    Don't walk away! In your heart you know it's true!

Also the reason Elves have low light vision like Dwarves and Gnomes, is because they too originally lived underground. Clearly these rumors of "Dark Elves", sometimes called "Drow", point towards the inescapable conclusion that "surface" Elves are in fact descended from Elves who were exiled from the Underdark because they were insufficiently badass! And in fact the day star bleached them! That is why Wood Elves who lived under the shade of their forest homes are darker hued. Either that or the reliance on magic among the so called "high elves", makes them both lazy and pasty!

In fact this overuse of Magic by some may doom us all!
    The ruins of the Ancients all around, in the wastelands and underground shows the truth!
    Long ago the Elves
    used up all the magic causing the fall of their civilization!

Overuse of Magic in one place leeches the Mana from the Earh, leaving desolate wastelands in it's absence!
    The ancestors of the Elves having squandered all the magic fled underground, with a few remnants learning to survive in a world without magic. Yes humans and orcs! The Orcs who infest the ruins are the savage descendents of the Elves too stupid to leave. We humans are the descendents of those who didn't hide underground, or stupidly stay amongst the ruins, but instead pioneered new lands and made new tools.
    Why else would it be humans who invented the crossbow, the plow, sailing ships, and windmills? Only in times without Magic would anyone bother to build such things! That's why so many of us still toil on the land and in our smithies, instead of just learning Wizardry, were not too stupid to learn Spellcraft! Nay, deep in our souls we feel the warning that it can't last!

That is why these tomb robbing Adventurer's have lately been finding magic items littering the ruins. For centuries there was insufficient environmental Mana for those items to be worth picking up!
    That is why there are Sorcerers now born among us when previous generations had none!
    The return of Magic to the wastelands is why suddenly all these magicsl monsters now infect our lands! Do you think our ancestors could have survived long if they'd always existed?

We have forgotten and grown soft!
    We must conserve what Magic is left and learn from the Gnomes ways to make wonders without the Arcane arts. Too much reliance on and use of Wizardry will doom us!

We must learn to grow our on food and distill water, without relying on Create Food and Water Spells, and if these Magic-User's continue to waste the Magic away in trivial goals, we must learn to fight off without spells, the bears, wolves and other beasts that threaten us, else we fall to claws and fangs!

Take these pamphlets and spread the word before it's too late!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

but I have not studied Latin in quite some time
    What is this Latin you speak of?
    Also fantasy races aren't hard to scientifically classify, they're impossible to scientifically classify. A snakey legless egglayer can't possibly be close relative to a bipedal cat or an extradimensional six limbed bird. You'd be mutilating real world science beyond recognition anyway, at which point you might as well make up an entirely new type of fantasy biology.

The least illogical you can get with this sort of thing (without making up an entirely fictional fantasy biology) is grouping up the human with fake nose PC races into one family of related critters, most likely created by the same or related gods (assuming your gods are DnDish create in my own image dudes). You'd have elfoids, cos they're always the goddamn elder race for some dumbass reason (aka chronic unoriginality) and why the hell would they be called humanoid when that's the case?, plus their cousin goblinoids. That's likely because Moradin and Corellon and Gruumsh and Maglubiyet and Garl and whoever else are all relatives themselves. Then there'd be the fifteen billion types of reptilian humanoids in their own family (or possibly clade, I don't know how you'd go about differentiating these things) with their own pantheon of gribbly deities. Afterwards, you have your hugeass laundry list of giantkin, who're basically contractually obligated to have been created by titans, that may or may not also be related to basic elfoids and/or elementals and/or outsiders.

Both those words, btw, mean nothing in any classification sense beyond their plane of origin and I don't even know what you're gonna do about all the elementals and genies and mephits and demons and devils and devas and slaadi and modrons and fairies and pixies and sprites and redcaps and trillions of other extradimensional critters. You're most likely better off limiting yourself to mortal creatures and not even touching that multiversal mess.

Overall, it's a good idea to say your basic PHB races are related and stop before madness.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post

Keep in mind specifically what I said in my original post. These are scientific names meant for homebrewed campaign settings, not Forgotten realms. In the table that I was explaining this too, all of the other humanoid non-human races were the result of biological tampering by insane wizards. There were only humans to begin with, than all the great old one warlocks decided to muck everything up by transmuting humans beyond physical recognition. All of them once shared the common ancestor of normal human, but then they were altered. So in this case, they do all have a common ancestor. And that is not including the ones which were crafted out of clay and given a semblance of biological life, as is the case with most of the elemental creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post
    Oh, yeah...

This complicates things.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to be able to interbreed, and create fertile offspring, wouldn't they have to be part of the same species? This would force you to add "sapiens" in between "homo" and whatever thing you put afterward.
    No, creatures do not need to be of the same species to breed. Dog is just a genus, and all the other "breeds" of dog are just fancy words for species, and it does not matter what species a dog is pretty much all of them are capable of breeding with each-other (but some of them are just awful ideas to decide to breed, which is why chihuahua and great Dane mixes don't exist). This can also be seen in mules, the hybrid of a donkey and a horse, which are also different species.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronounceable View Post
    What is this Latin you speak of?
    Also fantasy races aren't hard to scientifically classify, they're impossible to scientifically classify. A snakey legless egglayer can't possibly be close relative to a bipedal cat or an extradimensional six limbed bird. You'd be mutilating real world science beyond recognition anyway, at which point you might as well make up an entirely new type of fantasy biology.

The least illogical you can get with this sort of thing (without making up an entirely fictional fantasy biology) is grouping up the human with fake nose PC races into one family of related critters, most likely created by the same or related gods (assuming your gods are DnDish create in my own image dudes). You'd have elfoids, cos they're always the goddamn elder race for some dumbass reason (aka chronic unoriginality) and why the hell would they be called humanoid when that's the case?, plus their cousin goblinoids. That's likely because Moradin and Corellon and Gruumsh and Maglubiyet and Garl and whoever else are all relatives themselves. Then there'd be the fifteen billion types of reptilian humanoids in their own family (or possibly clade, I don't know how you'd go about differentiating these things) with their own pantheon of gribbly deities. Afterwards, you have your hugeass laundry list of giantkin, who're basically contractually obligated to have been created by titans, that may or may not also be related to basic elfoids and/or elementals and/or outsiders.

Both those words, btw, mean nothing in any classification sense beyond their plane of origin and I don't even know what you're gonna do about all the elementals and genies and mephits and demons and devils and devas and slaadi and modrons and fairies and pixies and sprites and redcaps and trillions of other extradimensional critters. You're most likely better off limiting yourself to mortal creatures and not even touching that multiversal mess.

Overall, it's a good idea to say your basic PHB races are related and stop before madness.
    Ah yes i see, the Disciple of Snuggles, great to have you around. I was never going beyond races though keep in mind, I am not going to even try to classify extraplanar creatures such as demons and genies. Your idea of actually creating my own fantasy biology though is actually something I would be quite interested in. I would have no idea where to begin with such a project though. That was my original intent actually, but I realized too soon that my knowledge of biology was not well developed enough to do such a thing. Keep in mind my first paragraph in my post though as you are thinking about this. That being said, I am going to re-evaluate the names for the more strange creatures, specifically the anthropomorphic animals.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

8. - Top - End - #8

No, creatures do not need to be of the same species to breed. Dog is just a genus, and all the other "breeds" of dog are just fancy words for species, and it does not matter what species a dog is pretty much all of them are capable of breeding with each-other (but some of them are just awful ideas to decide to breed, which is why chihuahua and great Dane mixes don't exist). This can also be seen in mules, the hybrid of a donkey and a horse, which are also different species.
    Yes, but mules are sterile. As far as I know, Tanis, Elrond, and the other half-elves are capable of having children.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alright, I have re-avaluated some of the anthropromorphic animals to be better suited. The only one I have not changed yet are the yuan-ti, because the concept of trying to find out whatever genus best fits them makes me want to cry.

reptilians
    Dragonborn: draco hominem maiorem
    Kobold: draco hominem luminare
    Lizardfolk: iguana hominem
    Tortle: chelonoidis hominem
    Yuan-ti:XXX hominem

other
    Aarakockra: Haliaeetus hominem
    Kenku: corvus hominem
    Tabaxi: felis hominem
    -

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

Reading that much homo doesn't feel right, most humanoid races intuitively belong to entirely different species, some are born magically, while others are interbred, and others are fertile mutations.

You should establish a base nomenclature to address these types of origins, and work the different species around it, in a world where magic is a thing, science exists differently from what we see in the real world.

You can use existing lore to aid you in choosing names, ask yourself where a race comes from and how is it related to other races. I can't directly help you because thats work I don't have the strength to do, but I think it's the right way to do it.

Edit: commonly reptiles are referred to with the word "saurian", which comes from the greek "sauros", which fits better than iguana for the lizardfolk I think
    Last edited by Lombra; 2018-01-30 at 02:57 PM.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Reading that much homo doesn't feel right, most humanoid races intuitively belong to entirely different species, some are born magically, while others are interbred, and others are fertile mutations.

You should establish a base nomenclature to address these types of origins, and work the different species around it, in a world where magic is a thing, science exists differently from what we see in the real world.

You can use existing lore to aid you in choosing names, ask yourself where a race comes from and how is it related to other races. I can't directly help you because thats work I don't have the strength to do, but I think it's the right way to do it.
    Homo is not a species, it is a genus. And just to clarify, are you suggesting that I start making my own classification system?
    -

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not to get too far off track here, but dog "breeds" aren't species. All dogs are the same species, which is why they can breed with each other. Get a ladder or a ditch, and a Chihuahua and a Great Dane could breed just fine.

Which is why I agree that you need to break up your species a bit. Certainly, if it's part of the backstory of your world to have them all come from the same place, then it's fine, but it the more generic worlds, a human couldn't breed with a Lizardfolk, since the Lizardfolk lay eggs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Do the lizardfolk actually lay eggs? I had always assumed that at the end of the day were mammals, extremely distorted mammals, but mammals nonetheless. They are called that because they have lizard-like features, not because they actually evolved from lizards. This can clearly be seen in all the art depictions of those monsters by WotC. The female yuan-ti pureblood represented in the MM has breasts, indicating that she also has mammary glands, which is a thing that only mammals have.
    -

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Do the lizardfolk actually lay eggs? I had always assumed that at the end of the day were mammals, extremely distorted mammals, but mammals nonetheless. They are called that because they have lizard-like features, not because they actually evolved from lizards. This can clearly be seen in all the art depictions of those monsters by WotC. The female yuan-ti pureblood represented in the MM has breasts, indicating that she also has mammary glands, which is a thing that only mammals have.
    Or maybe they are vestigial breasts, or maybe they're pure fanservice, hard to find a correct answer based on just a drawing. In the end for homebrew campaign purposes anything goes as long as it is for the better of the setting.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2018-01-30 at 03:13 PM.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The yuant-ti are humans who, through dark rituals and sacrifices to the snake gods, have acquired ophidian traits. The purebloods are actually low in the yuan-ti hierarchy, having received the least of this "blessing".

Lizardfolk are lizardfolk, like they were in the time of dinosaurs.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    The yuant-ti are humans who, through dark rituals and sacrifices to the snake gods, have acquired ophidian traits. The purebloods are actually low in the yuan-ti hierarchy, having received the least of this "blessing".

Lizardfolk are lizardfolk, like they were in the time of dinosaurs.
    That is what I said. At the end of the day the yuan-ti are just humans who have acquired reptilian traits, not reptiles themselves.
    -

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Lizardfolk definitely are reptilian.

Yuan-ti are difficult because you are dealing with an RMO (Ritually Modified Organism): H. sapiens yuantis. Since the original ritual patent was millenia ago, Dendar the Night Serpent no longer has exclusive rights to Yuan-ti production, hence the generic appellation.

3rd Edition Dragonborn were the same, with a bahamutus subspecies applied to the base race. 5th edition, as a free-standing race, are dragon-derived. Dragons can interbreed with everything, lay eggs, sport mammaries (in some forms), tolerate all sorts of strange climes, about half are aquatic, and some varieties have acid or poison-producing features.

Clearly they are monotremes.

Honestly, I think we're missing an important opportunity: Roadrunner Cladistics.
    Wood Elf (Treehuggus sylvan)
    High Elf (Treehuggus cannabis)
    Halfling (Minimus hungrii)
    Human (Homo generic)

etc.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Some 5e lore regarding oviparity and viviparity.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p34
    Young dragonborn grow quickly. They walk hours after hatching, attain the size and development of a 10-year-old human child by the age of 3, and reach adulthood by 15. They live to be around 80.
    Quote Originally Posted by VGtM p92
    All yuan-ti can interbreed. Females usually lay clutches of eggs, which are stored in a common hatchery, although live births aren't uncommon. A mating between yuan-ti of different types almost always produces eggs that hatch into yuan-ti of the weaker parent, so most choose partners of the same type in the interest of maintaining the strength of their personal bloodline.
    Quote Originally Posted by VGtM p112
    Still, if other creatures prove useful to lizardfolk, those creatures can trigger a protective response made all the stronger by their apparent weakness. The lizardfolk assess such beings as hatchlings, young ones incapable of protecting themselves but who might prove useful in the future if they receive care.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    High Elf (Treehuggus arroganti)
    Fixed it for ya.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    High Elf (Treehuggus arroganti)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    I'd like to throw out
    Slyvan Arroganti Cannibis

or

Yutyrannus Huali

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

That is what I said. At the end of the day the yuan-ti are just humans who have acquired reptilian traits, not reptiles themselves.
    You said that of the lizardfolk, then mentioned the yuan-ti.

I don't think the lizardfolk are anything like the yuan-ti. In FR at least, it seems that the lizardfolk existed long before humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCAG p15-16
    Spoiler: The Days of Thunder
    Show
    Tens of thousands of years ago, empires of reptilian, amphibian, and avian peoples--known in Elvish as Jqua'Tel'Quessir, the creator races--dominated the world. They built great cities of stone and glass, carved paths through the wilderness, tamed the great lizards, worked mighty magics, shaped the world around them, and warred upon each other. Those were the Days of Thunder.

The age of the creator races came to a sudden end some thirty thousand years ago. Perhaps their wars reached a terrible and inevitable crescendo, or they tampered with forbidden forces. For whatever reason, the world changed, and their vast empires vanished. All that remains of them are ruins and the scattered lizardfolk, bullywug, and aarakocra tribes, barbaric descendants of those who once ruled the world.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So the yuan-ti can give birth to live young and lay eggs, but dragonborn and lizardfolk just lay eggs. That makes sense in a weird kind of way.
    -

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

reposting new classifications for reptilian creatures

reptilians
    Dragonborn: draco hominem maiorem
    Kobold: draco hominem luminare
    Lizardfolk: iguana hominem
    Tortle: Chelonoidis hominem
    Yuan-ti: homo sapien anguis
    -

24. - Top - End - #24

Rules of Linnaean bi/trionomial nomenclature, for those using them for some reason: Genus is always capitalized, species and subspecies names are always completely lowercase, and the entire name is in italics if in type (the present medium). Hence, correct terms would look like Tyrannosaurus rex, Crotalus atrox, Homo sapiens sapiens, Draco volans, etc. On its own, a genus is also capitalized and italicized. Species names are not typically used on their own, as they are trivial. Terms more inclusive than Genus are written capitalized, such as the Order Reptilia, but not italicized.

A family ends in idae, and members are -ids, ex. Canidae and canids. A superfamily ends in oidea, and its members are -oids, ex. Tyrannosauroidea and tyrannosauroids. An Infrafamily or Subfamily ends in inae, and its members are ines, ex. Viperinae and viperines.

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post
    Oh, yeah...

This complicates things.
    Species definition is complicated enough in the real world that there's an entire branch of study devoted to it. You're wandering into warped dreamland full of disused names (that are then reused again due to bureaucratic technicalities, such as in the case of Brontosaurus, which doesn't refer to the Brontosaurus that you think it does but is no longer a nomen dubium) and unresolved polytomies.

That would be the biological definition of species, which falls flat when it comes to defining some organisms (asexual reproduction, for example, means that a species would slip through the cracks of the biological definition and fail to qualify as a species, for example). There are alternate paradigms for determining species based on anatomy, genetics, ecological roles, and cladistics, each with different qualifiers, though some share a few. What you're essentially going after with any of these paradigms is an evolutionary relationship, however, so if you're using a setting that has lots of ex nihilo creation, it's not likely to be something that people make that takes hold beyond folk taxonomies, which are already present in how D&D folds fungi into plant-type creatures. The monsters.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Calling everything 'homo' that is classified as humanoid feels like the wrong call. Demihumans like Aasimars and Tieflings, sure. But dwarves? Elves? Those are usually (depending on the setting) ancient races that have nothing to do with humans.

It gets a bit problematic however because elves are 'nympha' or 'dryadalis' in latin and dwarf becomes 'pumilus'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Science?

Um...okay, check it out:

Spoiler: Humans and "Demi-Humans"
    Show
    Some theft inspiration from:

And my own fever dreams:

"It is clear that elves, men, and orcs are members of a single species. Dwarves and gnomes, while unquestionably related, have completed speciation and do not interbreed as members of the H. sapiens subspecies do. But halflings are more closely related to elves and humans than the most recent common ancestor of dwarves and gnomes, which creates this phylogenetic tree:

It is evident that the gigantism of humans is an innovation not present in the basal demihuman.

The only remaining issue is the placement of elves and orcs relative to humans. Casual study suggests many similarities between elves and humans, but the anthropological literature [T54] suggests that elves and orcs are quite closely related and thus these superficial similarities are merely the result of convergent evolution between elves and the human outgroup.

[T54]: J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings (1954).
    "

An alternative idea from:

"After some in-depth research into the development of various humanoid races, I've developed a corpus of theory as to their development. Upon my return from their habitat, I plan to publish the following in some sort of respectable journal, perhaps the Journal of Edible Races. While snoozing off their weekly dinner of ponies, I'm sure the other dragons will enjoy reading it over:

Naturally, all the humanoid races descended from some common bipedal primate. Since then, however, they have evolved into two species, with a total of five subspecies (plus three common hybrids. Broadly, these can be divided into the larger-statured humanoids: the humans, orcs, and elves, and the smaller statured humanoids: the dwarves and halflings. These two populations are not known to interbreed and produce offspring, so they should be considered separate species, but the subspecies interbreed regularly, producing some interesting hybrids.

Homo Sapiens

Humans (Homo Sapiens Sapiens)

Humans are predominantly farmers in fertile regions. They are believed to be the least differentiated stock of the homo sapiens branch of humanoids, being smaller than the hill-dwelling orcs and larger than the forest-dwelling elves. Over the past few million years, they've been engaging in low-level farming from small villages, trading regularly with both orcs and elves for resources. Recently, they've begun to domesticate some wild horses, which are driving both the development of larger societies and rapid technological improvement.

Orcs (Homo Sapiens Moria)

The orcs, unlike humans, do not rely on farming. They form hunter gatherer clans in upland regions inhabited by large animals such as oiliphants and griffins. It's believed that their hunting of these creatures has led to their evolving much stockier frames than their lowland counterparts. The breed freely with humans, producing half orcs.

It's not known if orcs and elves would be capable of producing offspring, as they do not regularly come into contact with one another. If not, then homo sapiens is a fascinating example of a ring species.

Elves (Homo Sapiens Lorien)

Elves have adapted to forest life, with small, slight bodies but surprisingly powerful arms. They live largely in homes built in the branches of large trees and coming down to the ground to hunt for game and to collect fruit.

In general, elves undertake these activities at night, possibly due to the presence of bands of forest-dwelling humans during the day. This nocturnal/diurnal duality allows elves and humans to coexist peacefully, and has also driven the elves to develop larger ears and pronounced eyes to better sense in the dark. They interbreed with humans where their ranges overlap, but this is looked down on by both humans and elves, probably due to the facts that elven frames are poorly suited to farm labor and that humans don't operate well during twilight hours.

Homo Dwarfus

Homo dwarfus has two subspecies: the dwarves and the halflings. These two races can interbreed, with the cross generally being referred to as the gnomes.

Interestingly, unlike half-orcs and half-elves, the gnomes have formed their own societies of multi-generational gnome families. It's viewed as likely, based on this, that they may develop into what could be considered a subspecies of homo dwarfus in their own right.

Dwarves (Homo Dwarfus Dwarfus)

Short and stocky, the dwarves have evolved for life underground. Like orcs, they are commonly found in hills and mountains, but have opted for a different evolutionary path.

Dwarves build elaborate warrens beneath the Earth, bringing many families together for mutual defense and child rearing. Moving through both natural and artificial tunnels has selected for short, powerful frames with large noses for drawing in more of what is often poor quality air. Dwarves have evolved a farming culture similar to humans, but in absence of good food crops growing on the surface, the dwarves have taken to gathering nutrient poor plant materials, such as grasses, in large store rooms underground. These materials are then used to grow nutritious mushrooms, as well as to brew alcohol in great quantities.

Unfortunately, the same behavior that has brought about these fascinating behavioral changes has also given dwarves a keen interest in mineral treasures, as is known by dragons across the land who have had to deal with dwarf infestations in their treasure chambers.

Halflings (Homo Sapiens Hobbitus)

Some dwarves, however, have moved back to the surface, and evolved into a small race known as the halflings. While retaining the burrow-building behaviors of their ancestors, halflings have moved to lowland areas where they have learned to farm from nearby humans. While incapable of interbreeding due to having fully speciated, humans and halflings form intermingled societies in some areas, with halflings appreciating the protection their larger neighbors provide and humans enjoying the fact that generations of life underground have left the halflings as experts at digging and brewing a large variety of fermented drinks.

Halflings, without the pressures of a harsh life in the mountains, are generally slighter of build than dwarves, and have lost the exceptional senses that dwarves have developed for a life underground.

Unfortunately, some halflings seem to have retained the dwarven penchant for treasure. Care should be taken to make sure that any halfling populations living in the vicinity of dragons do not become a nuisance.

Gnomes

In areas where halflings and dwarves live somewhat close together, they occasionally crossbreed, giving birth to hybrids known as gnomes. Gnomes retain dwarven senses, but with the slighter builds of halflings. In many areas, they've taken up roles as go-betweens for these two groups, as well as trading with any humans, orcs, and elves in the area.

In their wide exposure to many cultures during their lives as nomadic, traveling merchants, the gnomes have also picked up a penchant for combining and improving upon inventions created by the other humanoid races. They've also gained some sense in their travels, rarely pilfering from the homes of dragons, though this fact should be well known to anyone in posession of one of their excellent anti-dwarf horde security systems
    "

My theories aren't crazy at all!
    Just because those blind fools at the Mages Guild roll their eyes, and won't admit the truth!
    I'll show them! All show them all!

First, the half-elves, and half-orcs among us show that elves, humans, and orcs are in fact the same species!
    Humans are actually descendents of long ago Elves and Orcs.
    Don't walk away! In your heart you know it's true!

Also the reason Elves have low light vision like Dwarves and Gnomes, is because they too originally lived underground. Clearly these rumors of "Dark Elves", sometimes called "Drow", point towards the inescapable conclusion that "surface" Elves are in fact descended from Elves who were exiled from the Underdark because they were insufficiently badass! And in fact the day star bleached them! That is why Wood Elves who lived under the shade of their forest homes are darker hued. Either that or the reliance on magic among the so called "high elves", makes them both lazy and pasty!

In fact this overuse of Magic by some may doom us all!
    The ruins of the Ancients all around, in the wastelands and underground shows the truth!
    Long ago the Elves
    used up all the magic causing the fall of their civilization!

Overuse of Magic in one place leeches the Mana from the Earh, leaving desolate wastelands in it's absence!
    The ancestors of the Elves having squandered all the magic fled underground, with a few remnants learning to survive in a world without magic. Yes humans and orcs! The Orcs who infest the ruins are the savage descendents of the Elves too stupid to leave. We humans are the descendents of those who didn't hide underground, or stupidly stay amongst the ruins, but instead pioneered new lands and made new tools.
    Why else would it be humans who invented the crossbow, the plow, sailing ships, and windmills? Only in times without Magic would anyone bother to build such things! That's why so many of us still toil on the land and in our smithies, instead of just learning Wizardry, were not too stupid to learn Spellcraft! Nay, deep in our souls we feel the warning that it can't last!

That is why these tomb robbing Adventurer's have lately been finding magic items littering the ruins. For centuries there was insufficient environmental Mana for those items to be worth picking up!
    That is why there are Sorcerers now born among us when previous generations had none!
    The return of Magic to the wastelands is why suddenly all these magicsl monsters now infect our lands! Do you think our ancestors could have survived long if they'd always existed?

We have forgotten and grown soft!
    We must conserve what Magic is left and learn from the Gnomes ways to make wonders without the Arcane arts. Too much reliance on and use of Wizardry will doom us!

We must learn to grow our on food and distill water, without relying on Create Food and Water Spells, and if these Magic-User's continue to waste the Magic away in trivial goals, we must learn to fight off without spells, the bears, wolves and other beasts that threaten us, else we fall to claws and fangs!

Take these pamphlets and spread the word before it's too late!

This is the kind of stuff I like.

I mostly toy with these theories myself:

Elves, Gnoms and Half Elves all share some Fey Ancestry, and are decended from the first Fey Creatures who took mortal forms. In the Half Elves case, they are the result of Fey breeding with local Humanoids and in some Worlds may be a ceparate Race on their own (I my world, I use this idea a lot).

Dwarves are distant relatives to Giants and Giant Races, thus their longuevity and Strength. They are called Dwarves because they are so relativelly short to other Giant Races, despite being Medium in size.

Humans are decended from apes that were made as an experiment of some unknown factor to become a race through the aid of magic and selective breeding (thus their lack of innate magic and longuevity). The reasons behind it are unknown, but the most probable reason is that they are compatible to breed with divine beings, in order to bring their children into the world (Aasimar), a fact abused by Fiends as well in order to create their own Race (Tieflings).

Halfings are decented from all Humans who went to the Feywild as children and were blessed with longuevity, but at the cost of their bodies aging diferently and never becoming taller. This trait was passed down to their children as well. After thousands of years of this spontaneous phenomenon happening to relativelly young children lost in the forest, they started to identify themselfves as a race, the "Halfings", refearing to their size, and embracing it with happiness, as a blessing and not a curse.

Dragonborn are the result of a Female Dragon breeding with a non-Dragon humanoid, which will hatch a Dragonborn From the Egg, instead of a Wyrmling. The offsprings will also be Dragonborn. For referance, a Male Dragon has Dragonic Origin Sorcerer offspings who are not Dragonborn, because they do not hatch from an Egg. They are whatever race the Dragon was shapeshifted into at the time.

Orcs could be a failed first attempt at creating humans in the faywild. After the project was abandoned (as it was not becoming what was expected of it), Gruumsh finished creating them, and claimed he was their creator. He then put them into his path of chaos and destruction. They eventually were released in the Prime Material to Destroy in his Name. Half Orcs were born after breeding with local races.

Tieflings were born around the world with many ways. A Warlock made a pact with a Fiend, and his child was born a Tiefling; All it's decendants will also be Tieflings as well. And that +2 to Charisma makes sure they will be having a good chance to have Children despite their fiendish appearance, that will look like a guilty charm. Somewere else, a woman met a guy, who turned out to be an Incubus, and her child was a Cambion. The Cambion's children were all Tieflings, as well as their children. Despite their appearance, they were not born evil, but society discriminates against them; this made them to eventually consider each other a race, but at the same time suspect each other just as much as other humanoids suspect them about turning to evil. In the end, they know they can really only trust their friends, reguardless of race.

I think I covered the PHB races for now.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't Shadowrun already did this?

Elves are Homo sapiens nobilis.

Orcs are Homo sapiens robustus.

Etc.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-01-31 at 04:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Dang every ones beat me to mine. Well I would change dragon to Ignus lacerta
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor_The_Mad View Post
    Dang every ones beat me to mine. Well I would change dragon to Ignus lacerta
    Not all Dragonborn breathe fire, and kobolds have no features related to fire, so putting them in the Ignus genus seems weird to me.
    -

30. - Top - End - #30

But i'm just referring to dragons in general and yes i'm aware that dragons in d&d breath other things like cold and acid. As for the kobolds they don't need the ignus part.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?