New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVIII: Still Haven't Caught Up on Season 7!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    It's Hedley.
    Hah!

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Then I shall edit Wikipedia!
    He didn't - he did.

He actually did.

Oh ye gods, Thanqol.

There are not enough skulldesks.

You go undo that edit and go watch Blazing Saddles RIGHT NOW, you muppet.

Words fail me.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-02-01 at 09:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hah!

Nice.

He didn't - he did.

He actually did.

Oh ye gods, Thanqol.

Words fail me.
    I stand by all of my mistakes NO RAGRETS

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

He didn't - he did.

He actually did.

Oh ye gods, Thanqol.

Words fail me.
    No no, this is a good thing! Even if the edit is undone, it shall live forever in the edit log. The joke was already immortal, but now it's immortal in one more place.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: X-Com update
    Show
    Operation Portent can bite me!

Every time this mission comes up I fail it and think 'just don't try it next time', before getting to it on my next playthrough. I'll be doing well and think 'oh I can handle it.' Only to fail it again!

Okay, so.

This time around I go for it. Send in Spike, a Heavy, a Rookie, and a Sniper. One Thin Man activates early and disappears. Then I activate the others, and Spike goes to Run and Gun, and gets shot on Overwatch. Thankfully he survives, and kills a rooftop Thin Man. The Heavy and Rookie kill the other two. I keep the Sniper on the roof of the first building, Spike on the second, and send the other two to go get the VIP. They activate the last Thin Man which I didn't know about. I'm like 'okay, well I'll just move the Heavy up, and keep my Rookie on Overwatch. Then next turn we'll get him with both plus Spike.

Whoops, looks like that corner has the perfect angle to see the Thin Man despite what you thought was a wall in the way. 50-50 to hit with my Heavy and it's a miss. Whatever, these things happen. Just need to survive it's turn and oh, it killed the Heavy. And the Rookie panics. Run and Gun isn't ready yet, and the Thin Man is out of range regardless, so I just move Spike up a bit and wait. Thin Man kills the Rookie. Spike kills the Thin Man back and it's time for the next part.

Start bringing the VIP up over the roof. 2 Thin Men appear, Sniper kills one in Overwatch and shoots the other in the head. Reload and slowly move across the building. 2 more Thin Men and a Sectoid. Sniper kills the Sectoid in Overwatch, Spike shoots and misses at a Thin Men. They both go in Overwatch. Now I'm in a tough spot. Spike only has a 40% to kill his Thin Men due to range. The Sniper has a 74% chance, but if he misses he's flanked and will die. But if he moves, not only can he not shoot, but he'll likely get shot in Overwatch.

I take a gamble, and send the VIP out first, hoping the Overwatch will miss, or at least not kill him. No luck, he's dead instantly. Mission Fail. Crap. Okay, well so long as the Sniper and Spike get out, it's not too bad of a loss. Spike is able to move up and kill his Thin Man since it's Overwatch had been used. The Sniper goes for his shot and misses. He immediately is killed.

Spike books it to the extraction point and at least gets out alive, but is wounded. He even gets a promotion.

Seriously, ever single time with this mission, and I swear Thin Men do not miss. They literally had a 100% hit rate this mission.

Spoiler: Critical Situation on Earth
    Show
    So it has come to this. After Operation Portent I get an abduction mission which is an outstanding success. 75% of the squad is injured, but none critically, and with none KIA it's a win by any standard. But then comes a landed UFO in Brazil. The team wins, barely. 50% casualties, with the survivors both wounded. One of the casualties was a rookie though, so not too bad.

Which leads me to tell you the true danger of Stalkers. Look, they aren't that scary on the map. You see them, you hunker down, go into Overwatch and you'll typically wrap them up pronto. If you are down to your last few members you might be boned, but typically they'll do minor damage to a solider, which admittedly is annoying since it lowers your accuracy, but rarely will have a lasting impact on that battle.

But Stalkers are winning this damn war. Those minor injuries in Marathon mode knocks them out of commission for a good 10 days. I've had 4 missions in the last 10 days! They are killing anyone but my soldiers might as well be dead for all the good they are doing me in the med-bay.

Now? Now comes the hard part. Mission number 4, and an alien abduction in Sydney, Australia. China and Japan are one step away from Critical. Australia two steps away. I won't have a satellite ready for launch this month. This next battle literally holds the fate of all of Asia. If I lose, three member nations will fall. Even if there is a mission in that region, it's unlikely I'll have the troops ready to actually complete it. So I've got to win.

But here's the real problem. Nearly all my veterans are wounded because of those damn Stalkers. So my team will consist of 1 Squaddie Sniper, and 3 Rookies. It's all down to these brave souls. Let's hope their bravery can make up for their inexperience because billions of lives are on the line.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2018-02-02 at 02:57 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good luck saving the world Forum Explorer.

I also tried the hard difficulties multiple times in Xcom and Xcom 2, but I was never successful. I almost think that you have to exploit some tricks in the games in order to beat them on that difficulty.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I tried to catch up with season 7 once. Episode 5, Fluttershy Leans In, was where that adventure ended.

Does it get worse from there?
    No. Season 7 manages to keep good quality all the way through, so it's definitely worth to follow the adventure to where it is going.

Also, don't forget to watch all the supplementary material, namely at least the three Equestria Girls episodes (called specials for some reason) that we've got in place of a fifth movie; optionally the Equestria Girls shorts; and the My Little Pony cinema movie, which is now published on home media.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    No. Season 7 manages to keep good quality all the way through, so it's definitely worth to follow the adventure to where it is going.

Also, don't forget to watch all the supplementary material, namely at least the three Equestria Girls episodes (called specials for some reason) that we've got in place of a fifth movie; optionally the Equestria Girls shorts; and the My Little Pony cinema movie, which is now published on home media.
    Also, buy our toys!

8. - Top - End - #38

Also, buy our toys!
    And pony print clothing, available at these fine retailers *lists retailers*

And the coloring books, story books...

...And some apples!
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground

Also, buy our toys!
    Soon as I can get disposable income again, I certainly want one of those neat Chrysalis figures. And later the Trixie/Starlight on the rocket when it comes out.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, it doesn't - episode 5 was utterly abysmal. I'll try to make myself clear a little better.

"Fluttershy Leans In" is the kind of bad that can really hurt your trust in the competence of everyone involved, and that trust has been steadily eroding for me over the last three seasons - basically from the moment they came up with the Cutie Map, a declaration of creative bankruptcy if there ever was one. The major narrative arcs for the entire main cast and the CMC were closed (or in Fluttershy's case, completely bungled), and the show is still lumbering forwards, and trying to make Starlight Glimmer carry the whole thing. And that's just not working for me.

I'll try to go at it from a different angle, and think of things that I'd like to see. You can tell me if I can get at least some of these.

- Twilight finally gets fed up with doing nothing all day and gets up to some mad science again.
    - The Cutie Map gets the axe. Ideally literally, but I'll settle for anything.
    - If there's an episode in which Twilight personally puts the axe to the Cutie Map, I am there.
    - Fluttershy is actually allowed to be Fluttershy again, in a less nonsensical plot.
    - A sodding Celestia-focused slice of life episode. Or, well, the show recognizing that she exists, and that Twilight can't actually do her job. They're apparently trying to turn Twilight into Starlight Glimmer's Celestia and that's just dumb.
    - Sunset Shimmer guest appearance that resolves her conflict with Celestia.
    - Rarity still has an arc, somehow. Right now she's apparently wildly successful and opens new boutiques in distant places as an afterthought.
    - New, plausible, arcs being established for one of the Mane Six, somehow? They're just all so stagnant.

Or tell me anything else about season 7 that you think may get me to watch. Something that bucks the trends established in season 5 and 6. Maybe Starlight Glimmer dies or turns evil again.

To be honest, there's a good reason I haven't popped up in ponythread in a long time. I just struggle feeling positive towards the show these days, and if you can't be positive about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it's just time to bow out silently. I know I'm being "that guy" - the guy who doesn't like the show anymore and is being loud and vocal about the reasons why. I don't want to be. But the thread is brand new and the title describes me, so I was caught up in the moment. If you think you have a way to get me excited about the show, please, do it!
    Last edited by Silfir; 2018-02-02 at 11:48 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

- A sodding Celestia-focused slice of life episode.
    Okay. Episode 10, A Royal Problem. An actual, honest-to-Lichemaster Celestia/Luna episode (albiet with Starlight). Now, I can't garentee how it will go down with you... But I certainly loved having a Celestia episode at freaking last.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    Maybe Starlight Glimmer dies or turns evil again.
    What do you mean turns? She's clearly been Still Evil this entire time. That's basically the reason her characters actually works after season 5. She just re-focussed a bit.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-02-02 at 12:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Or tell me anything else about season 7 that you think may get me to watch.
    Ok. Starlight Glimmer would tell me this is a worthy challenge and I should try it.

Here's what I suggest. Skip a bunch episodes forward for now. Watch S7 E12 Discordant Harmony, in which Fluttershy really has to be Fluttershy, because her friend is really sick and she has to save him. Fluttershy takes it upon herself, because she always thinks the illness is her fault, although it might not be. Then, if you liked that, watch S7 E20 too, because I can say the exact same thing about that. Fluttershy's friend is sick (a different friend this time), Fluttershy thinks it's her responsibility to cure her, and she won't stop until she's done everything in her ability. Also, maybe watch E21 Marks and Recreation, in which some foals are worried about having to grow up.

Update:
    Okay. Episode 10, A Royal Problem. An actual, honest-to-Lichemaster Celestia/Luna episode (albiet with Starlight). Now, I can't garentee how it will go down with you... But I certainly loved having a Celestia episode at freaking last.
    I wouldn't recommend that. But maybe Aotrs understands you more than I do.

What do you mean turns? She's clearly been Still Evil this entire time. That's basically the reason her characters actually works after season 5. She just re-focussed a bit.
    True.

- The Cutie Map gets the axe. Ideally literally, but I'll settle for anything.
    Heh heh heh. Well, there was one episode where the Tree of Harmony was threatened, and I don't think the map would be able to work without it, but no, the tree or the map didn't get axed yet.

Update:
    Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    S7E13 is a pretty great episode. Many folks think it's the best in the entire series, myself included.
    Look, I like S7 E13, I really do. Maybe Silfir will like it, maybe he won't. But that's really not the episode that would show Silfir that MLP hasn't backed itself to a corner where the Mane Six will no longer be able to get meaningful new roles and character growth. So even if Silfir likes it, I don't think it will convince him that MLP is still worth to watch.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-02-02 at 01:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

- A sodding Celestia-focused slice of life episode. Or, well, the show recognizing that she exists, and that Twilight can't actually do her job. They're apparently trying to turn Twilight into Starlight Glimmer's Celestia and that's just dumb.
    I'm right there with ya. There is a Mostly-Celestia episode in S7E10 but it's not really slice of life. I still enjoyed it but I will still be counting the years until another Celestia-focused episode, or an episode where she gets to do more than be in the background for 10 seconds, or has an impact on the episode in any way, shape, or form.

Celestia is best princess

To be honest, there's a good reason I haven't popped up in ponythread in a long time. I just struggle feeling positive towards the show these days, and if you can't be positive about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it's just time to bow out silently. I know I'm being "that guy" - the guy who doesn't like the show anymore and is being loud and vocal about the reasons why. I don't want to be. But the thread is brand new and the title describes me, so I was caught up in the moment. If you think you have a way to get me excited about the show, please, do it!
    S7E13 is a pretty great episode. Many folks think it's the best in the entire series, myself included. However, S7E14 some consider one of the worst. YMMV, it has a fantastic song but the ending to it is meh and a lot of it feels mean-spirited. I feel bad for the writer after hearing him explain what had happened to the script, and the amount of executive pressuring it got.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2018-02-02 at 12:54 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

14. - Top - End - #44

Episodes of season 7 I liked (and why):
    • Parental Glideance (ep7): Scootaloo episode where she (and by extension us) meet Rainbow's parents. Hints at Derpy's eye condition.
    • Campfire Tales (ep16): Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash tell stories of legendary pony figures to the CMC. Great world-building here.
    • Once Upon a Zeppelin (ep22): Twilight goes with her fam on a free zeppelin cruise. Hilarity ensues when Twi finds out there's fine print.

Honestly I believe the only reason Starlight hasn't blown up Equestria again is cause Trixie is her moral compass. And if that ain't a really crazy thought to ponder, then I dunno what is.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I looked back through the last thread and I was able to pull up my best/worst lists for season 7 episodes.

Spoiler: Top 5
    Show
    5: E21, Marks and Recreation; Not only was this a great overall CMC episode, but it helped clarify what cutie marks really mean to the ponies that get them. Yes, Rumble was a frustrating brat and the rest of the campers were kind of dim for following him, but his concerns echoed sentiments I've seen in fanworks from time to time so I like that the show took the time to answer the issue.

4: E12, Discordant Harmony; What I love about this episode was how it gave us a side of Discord that had been hinted at before but never really came through clearly, and that was how much Discord really values Fluttershy as a friend. We've seen evidence that Discord cares for Fluttershy, but it always was either a side-note or was overshadowed by his otherwise jerkish behavior. Here, though, we get a peek into Discord's though processes and see that not only does Discord really care for Fluttershy as an individual, but that he actively wants to be a better draconequs for her sake, which is the sort of character development that I love to see.

3: E7, Parental Glideance; This episode explains so much about Rainbow Dash's personality. I had a few theories about what sort of ponies Rainbow Dash's parents would be, but 'screaming Rainbow Dash fan-ponies' never occurred to me, yet in hindsight makes perfect sense. And while the episode had plenty of solid humor, it also included some subtle poignancy about Scootaloo's home life which gave it some terrific depth.

2: E13, The Perfect Pear; I don't know what I can really say about this episode that hasn't been said already by pretty much everpony in the fandom. The whole star-crossed romance of Applejack's parents was handled perfectly, but what really put it over the edge was seeing the effect their memories had on both their friends and the Apple siblings themselves. The only complaint I can muster about the episode is that at times it could be a little too predictable, but as I've said before when it comes to MLP it's not whether it's been done before but how well it does it.

1: E10, A Royal Problem; Dear freaking Celestia this episode was long overdue. An episode that finally gave some real solid characterization to Princess Celestia herself as well as expanded on her relationship with Princess Luna. Add to that giving us Daybreaker and ballerina Twilight and this episode was definitely one of my favorites, not only of the season but also of the series itself.

And here is the bottom 5. Incidentally, I listed Fluttershy Leans In as the 2nd worst episode of the season, so I can understand Silfir's dislike of it.
    Spoiler: Botton 5
    Show
    5: E24, Uncommon Bond; I think my main issue with this episode boiled down to Starlight's odd fixation with the board game as the primary thing she and Sunburst had in common. It just felt that she wasn't really trying to find any other common interests that they might have had and that lack of effort hurt my investment into the conflict of the episode.

4: E4, Rock Solid Friendship; The biggest issue here is how tightly Pinkie Pie was gripping the idiot ball for the duration of the episode. I realize that Pinkie Pie tends to lose most of her self-awareness when the subject of making friends comes up, but this episode took that obliviousness to extremes. On the other hoof, se did get some very nice characterization for both Maude and Starlight, so I can't judge this episode too harshly.

3; E25 & 26, Shadow Play; This episode had a number of major issues, ranging from Twilight's juggling the idiot ball, to the wonky pacing issues, to the problems with introducing far too many essentially new characters at once. But the problems that put the season finale on this list were it's problems with telling rather than showing and its villain's complete lack of credibility. If nothing else, Shadow Play highlights how a villain can make or break an episode. The Pony of Shadows had virtually no screen time and he spent most of the time he was on screen either blustering about how much evil he was going to do or having his rump handed to him, the latter robbing the former of any real impact. All we have to go on as to how threatening the situation is is the way Starswirl kept talking up the PoS as some great monster, but at no point are we ever shown that he's a threat. Even in the flashbacks, we never actually see the PoS do anything villainous. Not helping matters were the fact that show completely ignored the many other options available to the characters beyond yanking out the EoH, such as the other princesses, their rainbow-powered forms, or freaking Discord. I'm not saying they actually had to use any of those options, but a throwaway line as to why they couldn't would have been nice.

2; E5, Fluttershy Leans In; The main reason that this episode landed below the finale comes down to the fact that I never really felt anything was really at risk here. Fluttershy has a vision, the ponies brought on to execute that vision screw it up, so she tries again. I can't even say Fluttershy really learns anything from the episode because at no point does Fluttershy have any difficulty standing up for herself once the problem made itself known. A good story needs conflict and quite frankly I don't think this episode was able to deliver on that front.

1; E14, Fame and Misfortune; This episode is a good example of how difficult satire can be. The framing device of the episode had a lot of promise, but the execution in many areas was rather poor and often bordering on being mean-spirited. Not only that, but the episode didn't really seem to have a clear idea of what it's message was which left us with a confused mess.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point, of course. The Starlight Glimmer/Trixie pair is pretty entertaining on the whole.

I'm not bothered by Starlight Glimmer as much as I'm bothered by the absence of what she was brought in to replace. Twilight is just like a square peg continually being pressed into a round hole while she's around and it's pitiful to watch. All she gets to do is stuff that she's awful at.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

All she gets to do is stuff that she's awful at.
    Yeah, don't we all? It would be just too lucky for everyone to get a job where you have to do exactly what you're the best at.

18. - Top - End - #48

Yeah, don't we all? It would be just too lucky for everyone to get a job where you have to do exactly what you're the best at.
    Yeah, but I think there's only so many positions open for Snark Specialist.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #49

How many jobs are there where you get to do nothing all day?

...Nobody say public school teaching or name a government position.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    How many jobs are there where you get to do nothing all day?

...Nobody say public school teaching or name a government position.
    Can we say Senior Judge? Technically a government position, but I get the sense you meant "bureaucrat."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, don't we all?
    *smirks*

Nope.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Happy Groundhog's Day everyone. This is a strange tradition in parts of America where we pull a furry rodent out of the ground in order to predict the weather instead of using satellites, computers, etc.

At least it gave us an amusing movie.
    Spoiler: Groundhog's Day
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Asia's Fall?
    Show
    The mission was a disaster as expected. I tried to be clever, and go around the edge of the map in order to avoid activating too many aliens at once. But the first aliens spotted were stalkers which refused to attack, until some Thin Men and Sectoids showed up,
    basically at the same time. So yeah, my team was slaughtered.

Weirdly though, I 'only' lost China and Australia. Japan stayed loyal, despite being at maximum panic. Which makes me wonder if I should try and fight for them and India.

Next was a Terror Attack at Seattle and by now my aces had been healed. And they crushed it. 1 WIA, no casualties, and 14/18 civilians saved.
    And 3 promotions for the team.

Overall I stopped 1/2 abductions, captured a UFO that landed, and beat a Terror Attack. I failed Operation Portent, and lost a total of 9 soldiers;
    1 Cpl, 3 Squaddies, and 5 Rookies. In the end, 2 nations have deserted X-Com.

I started building a laboratory because dear god do I need scientists. It's the third month and I still don't have an Arc Thrower.

Spoiler: Alien Abduction
    Show
    It's with a heavy heart today that I've decided to abandon the Asian front altogether. Some will call me cruel and heartless for leaving over 3 billion souls to who knows what fate at the hands of the alien invaders. But it's becoming more and more clear that this is not a war that we can win by simply defeating the alien menace wherever they strike. No we will have to be tactical in our approach and not allow ourselves to be spread thin.

As such I will not be deploying troops into India. Yes, this will mean that both India and Japan will almost certainly abandon the X-Com project. But at this time, I feel the abductions in Great Britian have a higher priority, as Europe too is on the brink of collapse. Worse, losing Europe will decrease our income substantially, as it has some of our few satellites in operation. Finally the money offered from the British government are simply more valuable then the engineers from India. We already have plenty of engineers, but we are in desperate need of money and time to build the proper facilities to get X-Com up to war footing.

In light of these dark times, our Morale Officer has prepared the following poster of Commander Bradford as a pony to lighten the mood.

Adorable.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2018-02-03 at 04:42 AM.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    At least it gave us an amusing movie.
    The best part is Bill driving the truck over a cliff with Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Yes, this will mean that both India and Japan will almost certainly abandon the X-Com project.
    Could they rejoin if later you manage to liberate them?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

Could they rejoin if later you manage to liberate them?
    No, once a nation is lost, it's lost for good. It's only in the Long War mod that you can actually rescue places. Long War is also significantly harder in every other way so yeah.

Spoiler: Month 3
    Show
    Victory after Victory. When my high ranked troops are up it's amazing how easily they'll handle alien incursions. Lt. Sato has proven to be a deadly sniper, and Cpt. 'Spike' is practically worth an entire squad at this point. Losing either or both, god forbid, would be devastating to X-Com.

Sadly the aliens seem to have realized this themselves, targeting them with sure hit techniques like Stalkers or the Thin Men poison spit.
    Yes, that's right. Instead of actually shooting at my men, a Thin Man deliberately chose to hit Sato with a poison spit attack to ensure his removal from the battlefield for nearly an entire month. Stalker strangulation at least 'only' knocks them out for a maximum of 14 days. Thankfully, rookies have proven to be valuable human shields in this regard, occasionally taking a blow that would otherwise be aimed at someone more valuable.

We haven't even taken any casualties this month, though currently about 50% of our personal are in the med-bay.

In other news, we've completed Meld research. Volunteers are now being sought for MEC conversions, though the cybernetics facility still needs to be built. There was some thought about beginning Light Plasma research, but despite our expansion of the scientific team, it was determined to take far far too long to get results. Instead we shall begin laser research, as we need superior weaponry as quickly as possible.

Spoiler: Marathon Mode
    Show
    This mode is awful. You are set up to lose, and holy crap do you need to play nearly perfectly if you want a chance.
    Healing times, research times, and construction times are all doubled or more. Alien escalation is slower, but it remains to see how much.
    If I'm dealing with Mutons in Month 4, that might just be the finishing blow. But overall, there are the same amount of mission. So I've got countries panicking, but due to the slow construction times, I simply can't launch my satellites. And slow healing times mean I can win every battle with next to no casualties but still lose the war due to people being stuck in the med-bay. Worse, I might simply not have the weaponry needed to deal with the aliens in Month 4. For pete's sake, I still don't have the alien confinement built, so I can't even speed my research via capturing aliens.

In short, it's absolutely perfect to have me lose and set up the story for X-Com 2. Currently I'm in a situation where Germany is panicking because a large UFO flew over it and I couldn't shoot it down. Now I've got France, Mexico, or Nigeria about to panic after the latest abduction mission. And I can only save one of them.

Spoiler: The 4 Month War
    Show
    And that is game. I won 15/19 battles, but those 4 losses were enough to make me lose the game.

For the record, those losses were, Operation Portent. A Council Bomb Mission, A Terror Attack, and something else.

The Bomb mission was so annoying. I move to outflank one Thin Man, and activate another Thin Man making me the flanked one. And just could not get my hits.

The Terror Mission was a bloody disaster. I just got laser weapons, but my only Sato was up for non-rookies. And then I got rushed by 5 Crysalids all at once.
    Then I forgot that zombies can attack on the turn they spawn. So that was half the sqaud, and then I was overwhelmed in sheer numbers. Still killed like 15 aliens though.

Then I had 2 more missions and Sato went on a warpath and just slaughtered everyone. A Laser pistol with gunslinger is so damn good. If I had just held on too, I had just gotten MECs and my research was just taking off.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2018-02-03 at 08:50 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

So today, I learned (thanks to MasakoX's GoQ and A), that Sunset is TFS!Goku's waifu.

Because of the hair.

Oh...

Dear.

Also, I have been very lucky with Naruto and Pony as a fanbase keen on fanfiction, poor DBZ doesn't have anything LIKE the quantity.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

So today, I learned (thanks to MasakoX's GoQ and A), that Sunset is TFS!Goku's waifu.

Because of the hair.

Oh...

Dear.
    "Son, it may look like bacon, but I use grape-flavored shampoo."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Spoilered due to excessively high power levels.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Warning: Contains TVTropes link

So I was contemplating setting-appropriate expressions in MLP, and in particular trying to come up with some equivalent for G**d*** i*. Something relating to Celestia would be the obvious choice ("I can't just send her off to Celestia knows where!" for example), but her name doesn't really flow for that sort of invective. A lot of fanfic uses "Faust" in reference to a creator, so I came up with "Faust Joss it!" I think it works very well, in a rather meta sort of way.

Thoughts?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Because of the hair.

Oh...

Dear.

Also, I have been very lucky with Naruto and Pony as a fanbase keen on fanfiction, poor DBZ doesn't have anything LIKE the quantity.
    Which is weird because there's a character called Muffin!
    Spoiler: Muffin Button!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.