New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1467
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVIII: Still Haven't Caught Up on Season 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    AJ looks good but her design really missed a trick when it gave her the same razor thin build as the rest, The Bradinator has a very unfortunate shade of blue for his hair that doesn't work at all, and mah pon3z is mah waifu. She looks fantastic - and she wouldn't look even 5% as fantastic if she had that same 'I was holding the Corax White spray in the wrong direction when priming my Eldar' look Rarity's got going on.
    Yeah it is unfortunate that the cast are all made from the same human base proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So, not a fan of the Asari, then (I'm sure Liara is deeply hurt)? Or the Twi'Leks? Or Mystique?
    There's probably species context there that can make some difference. A blue-skin alien could get a pass. A blue-skin human probably means they're choking on something they swallowed.

Blue works on some better than others.
    Spoiler: Like Luna
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    There's probably species context there that can make some difference. A blue-skin alien could get a pass. A blue-skin human probably means they're choking on something they swallowed.
    This for me, for the most part. They did go the extra length to denote it as the "human" world. The naming conventions being whack I can live with, but the skin tones? Nope. They simply avoided the ethnicity question entirely in my opinion, which is understandable because it is a Western work, and only because.

In addition, my disagreement with the canon colours of the Dazzlings have less to do with the skin and more to do with Aria's vest. Note how Aria is wearing nearly all-black in my colouration.
    Last edited by meto30; 2018-07-19 at 01:45 PM.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meto30 View Post
    This for me, for the most part. They did go the extra length to denote it as the "human" world. The naming conventions being whack I can live with, but the skin tones? Nope. They simply avoided the ethnicity question entirely, is my opinion, which is understandable because it is a Western work, and only because.
    My problem with that is the automatic assumption that they SHOULD map to an existant human ethnicity.

(Even if I was to entirely agree that what we see in EqG ARE, strictly, humans.)

Your skin-colour range is a product - ultimately - of chance events across prehistory (just like all evolution) likely with some additional complexity factors due to sapience/sentience early society. Running the same experiment again is highly unlikely to give you the same results - unless Harbinger Probability Engineering is in question (and that opens a slew of other possibilities, among them that EqG's "ethnicity" is instead probability-engineered to match Equestria's - hell, that's a possiblity even without that; EqG is an alternate EQUESTRIA, not an alternate EARTH, let us not forget.)

I don't see the difference between and off-pink human, a brown human and a blue human. (Well, okay, the blue human may be slightly cooler.) So to me, saying Rainbow Dash should be... not blue (and this is why I'm having to be very careful here) is fundementally the same to me as, say, saying Jubilee should be caucasian-coloured. It's not quite up-in-arms outrage (that latter has been done - see the 1990s Generation X TV show pilot1 - not the worst thing they've done to her), not quite in spitting distance of the Nasty End Of That Line Of Thinking, but it is at least a raised "seriously" eyeglow roll. You may disagree, but from my outside, not-a-human, equalist perspective, that is exactly what it sounds like. Sorry if that disconcerts everypony (or worse, upsets anyone), but that IS how it feels to me.

1Actually, don't.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-07-19 at 12:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1114

My problem with that is the automatic assumption that they SHOULD map to an existant human ethnicity.

(Even if I was to entirely agree that what we see in EqG ARE, strictly, humans.)

Your skin-colour range is a product - ultimately - of chance events across prehistory (just like all evolution) likely with some additional complexity factors due to sapience/sentience early society. Running the same experiment again is highly unlikely to give you the same results - unless Harbinger Probability Engineering is in question (and that opens a slew of other possibilities, among them that EqG's "ethnicity" is instead probability-engineered to match Equestria's - hell, that's a possiblity even without that; EqG is an alternate EQUESTRIA, not an alternate EARTH, let us not forget.)
    Well, since you and I are disagreeing on a lot of things from fundamental levels (there's not much in that statement that I find agreeable), I'll just let you and your opinion be, lich. Suffice to say, my art will be of little consequence to your opinion, and your opinion will be of little consequence to my art. I did say that I prefer to not colour my EQG works so as to simply *not* have to face these kind of clashes, no?

Spoiler: Have some more non-consequential art instead.
    Show
    Last edited by meto30; 2018-07-19 at 01:43 PM.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

I will now proceed to shut up about it, so as not to wind anyone up.

6. - Top - End - #1116

EqG is an alternate EQUESTRIA, not an alternate EARTH, let us not forget.
    How do we know it's not the other way around? Much of the furniture and tools in Equestria is human-centric instead of pony-centric. Someone from the pony side is copying human designs, and I think Celestia knows something about that. I wonder how long she's had that mirror.

Well, since you and I are disagreeing on a lot of things from fundamental levels (there's not much in that statement that I find agreeable), I'll just let you and your opinion be, lich. Suffice to say, my art will be of little consequence to your opinion, and your opinion will be of little consequence to my art. I did say that I prefer to not colour my EQG works so as to simply *not* have to face these kind of clashes, no?

Spoiler: Have some more non-consequential art instead.
    Show
    Yeah, ultimately they're just opinions of color preferences.

Haha! That sprained leg looks like it was worth it. The dangers of surprising your friends with pie are numerous, but tasty! ;)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Orc in the Playground

When the season finalé baddy finally gets to his/her final boss level - the Friendship-powered Main 6 fight...

https://youtu.be/Y3uOpNrKgSc

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Banned

I wonder how long she's had that mirror.
    Between 1,000 and 1,111 years at the time of the show's start. It was Star Swirl's before that.

Although, he didn't use it to banish the Sirens. It just happens to go to the place they were banished. Which came first? The mirror, as a source of knowledge about where to banish things, or three banishing spell, with the mirror created after the fact?

I find myself more intrigued by the latter possibility - why would Star Swirl want to visit his dumping grounds? To retrieve something he lost?

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    I'm trying to parse this ... are you saying that it was a blunder (on your part) to not see the movie, or that the movie itself was a blunder?
    My blunders, I have heard nothing but good things about the movie.

I like EqG Rarity (as much as I can like any of these freakishly proportioned characters). Maybe it's just because I'm about as pale as she is, or maybe I just like to imagine that she's wearing corpse paint ... Mmmm, Black Metal Rarity, is that a thing? This is the Internet, so it must be a thing.
    Be the change you wish to see.

So, not a fan of the Asari, then (I'm sure Liara is deeply hurt)? Or the Twi'Leks? Or Mystique?

Or Best Jedi Ahsoka Tano?

Hell, Garrus is pretty much blue, for that matter... (Who is probably pretty much the only individual I might come within spitting distance of saying is my "bro.")
    It's not a problem with people of - ahem - colour. I like the Asari because they have a very organic reptilian blue, for instance; the Twi'Leks sometimes (but not always) pull off an exotic tattoo'd look. My problem with Rainbow and Rarity in EQG is how shockingly artificial they look. It doesn't look like a real flesh tone, it's somewhere between 'Rainbow is covered head to toe with downy blue fur' and 'Rainbow spray painted her face pastel blue'.

Man, now I'm wondering if ponies in the show actually have fur, or if they're all completely naked with candy coloured skin.

10. - Top - End - #1120

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Between 1,000 and 1,111 years at the time of the show's start. It was Star Swirl's before that.

Although, he didn't use it to banish the Sirens. It just happens to go to the place they were banished. Which came first? The mirror, as a source of knowledge about where to banish things, or three banishing spell, with the mirror created after the fact?

I find myself more intrigued by the latter possibility - why would Star Swirl want to visit his dumping grounds? To retrieve something he lost?
    It is possible he wanted to go back to pick something up. Or just to ensure where he was banishing critters wasn't causing a worse problem? Clover the Clever went to the human world to hunt down an artifact and ended up just burying the thing, so apparently Clover inherited the dumping ground from Starswirl?

Man, now I'm wondering if ponies in the show actually have fur, or if they're all completely naked with candy coloured skin.
    Like one of those hairless cats?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Metal Rainbooms. I think? I'm not a metal person...
    Show

In regards to human Rainbow's coloration, there's some sorts of genetic conditions that can cause a fairly deep blue skin tone...

There was also a really funny fanfic somewhere talking about what skin color stereotypes exist in the EQG world, but I can't find it.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Banned

My blunders, I have heard nothing but good things about the movie.
    I am not going to speak to it's quality, because I have long since observed that people think I am burying a thing when I'm praising it, and vice versa. I do think you should see it at least once.

Be the change you wish to see.
    Oh that is such baloney. We are all products of the bad life and can hardly imagine the good.

It's not a problem with people of - ahem - colour. I like the Asari because they have a very organic reptilian blue, for instance; the Twi'Leks sometimes (but not always) pull off an exotic tattoo'd look. My problem with Rainbow and Rarity in EQG is how shockingly artificial they look. It doesn't look like a real flesh tone, it's somewhere between 'Rainbow is covered head to toe with downy blue fur' and 'Rainbow spray painted her face pastel blue'.
    I wonder how much of this is due to lighting/shading. I've not played the Mass Effect games, but from what I have seen the Asari (and indeed most) characters are. . . let's say not as comprehensively well-lit as characters in FiM and EqG. They have well-defined shadows that fill out the shape amd details of the face, while our Flash puppets are only lit or shadowed in exceptional scenes.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-07-19 at 07:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

This for me, for the most part. They did go the extra length to denote it as the "human" world. The naming conventions being whack I can live with, but the skin tones? Nope. They simply avoided the ethnicity question entirely in my opinion, which is understandable because it is a Western work, and only because.

In addition, my disagreement with the canon colours of the Dazzlings have less to do with the skin and more to do with Aria's vest. Note how Aria is wearing nearly all-black in my colouration.
    Honestly, the naming conventions thing bothers me more then the color thing. I still think that the EQG designs are kinda ugly though.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Oh that is such baloney. We are all products of the bad life and can hardly imagine the good.
    Bah, your whats baloney. If anything you say was true, there'd be no life at all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When there's trouble you know who to call...
    Spoiler: new Teen Titans project
    Show
    since there are many fans of Teen Titans(some who like one or the other ans some who like both)
    trailer for the new Teen Titans Live action

*WARNING*
    have multiple bandages ready in case you cut yourself on the edgy darkness or dark edginess contained within!
    *WARNING*

Spoiler: my thoughts
    Show
    i think the main sticking points are in agreement with the main body of commenters
    1) soooo DARK..MUCH GRIM!!1!
    2) you can do Beast as green but cant do Starfire as orange?(since she looks black with her orange fire glowing from inside)
    (i know..i know..it's (current year) and if you make a movie w/o a blacPERSON OF COLOR the cries of racism are heard around the world.... )
    (but lets give benefit of doubt for now and blame it on the dim dim dim lighting)
    3) why does Robin look so OLD compared to the others?
    4) Hawk and Dove?? when were they Titans?

Spoiler: Pony Tax
    Show
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ogre in the Playground

We know the ponies in the show have fur since we saw Snips and Snails partially shaved in Ponyville Confidential. Incidentally, that scene also showed that cutie marks are patterns on the ponies' coats since the cutie marks of the pair could be seen partially shaved off.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    When there's trouble you know who to call...
    Spoiler: new Teen Titans project
    Show
    since there are many fans of Teen Titans(some who like one or the other ans some who like both)

*WARNING*
    have multiple bandages ready in case you cut yourself on the edgy darkness or dark edginess contained within!
    *WARNING*

Spoiler: my thoughts
    Show
    i think the main sticking points are in agreement with the main body of commenters
    1) soooo DARK..MUCH GRIM!!1!
    2) you can do Beast as green but cant do Starfire as orange?(since she looks black with her orange fire glowing from inside)
    (i know..i know..it's (current year) and if you make a movie w/o a blacPERSON OF COLOR the cries of racism are heard around the world.... )
    (but lets give benefit of doubt for now and blame it on the dim dim dim lighting)
    3) why does Robin look so OLD compared to the others?
    4) Hawk and Dove?? when were they Titans?

Spoiler: Pony Tax
    Show
    I'm pretty sure this is actually written by the Teen Titans of TTG. Like, the actual characters. Because it's so tryhard-edgy, it IS basically parody.

"[Expletive] Batman."

That is HILARIOUSLY dumb.

Or someone watched that one episode of TTG and said "that was cool, let's do that!" because they were so fracking stupid they missed that it was parody.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    We know the ponies in the show have fur since we saw Snips and Snails partially shaved in Ponyville Confidential. Incidentally, that scene also showed that cutie marks are patterns on the ponies' coats since the cutie marks of the pair could be seen partially shaved off.
    I believe I recall there were some things in the show that wouldn't work on fur, like Rarity's use of makeup or something along that line. Maybe they are partially fur-less; maybe they have fur on their bodies, but the only facial hair they have is actually beards ... which makes beards on ponies even weirder than it already is.

new Teen Titans project
    Video not available. They could at least tell me why it's not available.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Banned

I believe I recall there were some things in the show that wouldn't work on fur, like Rarity's use of makeup or something along that line. Maybe they are partially fur-less; maybe they have fur on their bodies, but the only facial hair they have is actually beards ... which makes beards on ponies even weirder than it already is.
    We have makeup for horses.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-07-20 at 12:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1130

No doubt. But I see mention of grooming and hoof care on that page, not a lot of what I'd call makeup. Even if you could get actual makeup for horses - lipstick, false eyelashes, whatever powders and stuff people put on their faces - would it work anything like some of what we see ponies using? Being a show for little girls and made by humans, I would expect any makeup in the show to resemble and work like human makeup, not whatever real equine makeup would look/work. Conversely, because the makeup in the show looks and works like makeup for humans, it wouldn't be completely ridiculous to say that ponies must have faces that work like human faces, at least in some respects ... like having no fur.

Another example: We've seen Rarity prick her hoof with a needle, so pony hooves are not as hard as real hooves. Which also explains why pony horseshoes aren't nailed on. But their hooves also can be polished and make cloppy sounds, so they must be partially hardened.

So ... hooves are only partially hard, and maybe likewise their bodies are only partially covered in fur. In fact, maybe their fur is more analogous to typical human clothes than we suspected.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

21. - Top - End - #1131

What did Pony thread do to wrong you so?

Although, what if the cutie marks were partly shaved off because of Snip's talent?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

Another example: We've seen Rarity prick her hoof with a needle, so pony hooves are not as hard as real hooves. Which also explains why pony horseshoes aren't nailed on. But their hooves also can be polished and make cloppy sounds, so they must be partially hardened.

So ... hooves are only partially hard, and maybe likewise their bodies are only partially covered in fur. In fact, maybe their fur is more analogous to typical human clothes than we suspected.
    Actually, it's entirely possible that Rarity had pricked the frog of her hoof, which would be much softer than the walls which are the hard portion most people would think of as the "hoof".
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

So... Did anyone else know that they were showing s8e14 today apparently? (According to stuff I just found on Fimfic and checking on EqD?) Episode links aren't up yet so it can't have been long ago, but figured I ought to mention it to everyone.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Banned

So... Did anyone else know that they were showing s8e14 today apparently? (According to stuff I just found on Fimfic and checking on EqD?) Episode links aren't up yet so it can't have been long ago, but figured I ought to mention it to everyone.
    I did. Sorry for not saying anything. I was busy resenting DiscoFam for airing an episode when I had to work.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's episode 18, actually, and apparently it was aired early as an intentional short notice surprise as part of a "Summer Surprises" event.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Video not available. They could at least tell me why it's not available.
    it is mature tagged..could that be it?
    What did Pony thread do to wrong you so?
    more like what did all us Teen Titan fans do so wrong to deserve this?
    ---
    anyway..off to check out the trailer from comic-con for the new Young Justice thing
    (ANIMATED! and looks like the original from the 1st 15 seconds i saw)
    ----
    ok..now THAT looks good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEU6WBpHMc&t=4s
    picks up right where they left off with The Light and The Reach
    and then looks like it drags in a multitude of DC big hitters (LOBO!!!)
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2018-07-21 at 12:15 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

27. - Top - End - #1137

Actually, it's entirely possible that Rarity had pricked the frog of her hoof, which would be much softer than the walls which are the hard portion most people would think of as the "hoof".
    Is the frog all that soft or sensitive, though? Isn't it more, like, sinewy/cartilaginous than fleshy? It's been twenty-ish years since I cleaned my last hoof, and to be fair I never did poke 'em with a needle, so I could easily be wrong.

E: My impression/memory, for the record, is that you definitely should *not* hammer a nail into the frog, but you'd have to poke pretty hard and pretty deep with a sewing needle for the horse to feel it. A small prick like Rarity did wouldn't do anything.

it is mature tagged..could that be it?
    Could be, but Google knows my age so I don't know why it would prevent me from seeing it.
    Last edited by stveje; 2018-07-21 at 03:20 AM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Colossus in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: New Ep
    Show
    ”The definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the pipes and doesn’t”

Quite an enjoyable little bit of fluff, depressed Pinkie was a bit OTT and I wasn’t sure about some of the Mane 6 reactions to it, a bit caricatured, but I’ve seen worse.

Only thing it needed, imo, was for Pinkie to ask the yak to teach her at the end so she could improve, not just “eh, do what you want”. I can’t help feeling Pony of times past may have gone that route, but that’s a moot point really.

30. - Top - End - #1140

If any of you are fans of the Netflix show, "The Toys that Made Us", it looks like My Little Pony is gonna get an episode. :3

I think it was only released on Australia tv? I don't see it appearing on any of my US channels.
    Digo Dragon - Artist