Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Magique Filou: The Arcane Trickster's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tieren View Post
    I'm at BS 2 / rogue 1 right now, I am really torn on what to do at my next level up. I know getting to BS 3 / rogue 2 for shadow blade and cunning action is my first real benchmark, but I'm not sure which is the more important to get first.
    That's probably a safe way to get into tier 2 if you're more focused on damage. You won't hit any ASIs until level 6 or 7 on this path, but if you're more combat focused it's a good way to help the party.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Nice guide, two things:

1) you suggest the synergy between booming blade and using a whip, but you need a feat to make booming blade work at more than a 5í range.

2) could you please elaborate on multiclassing AT/bladesinger?

Iím currently playing one but I wasnít aware that there was that much synergy. I just thought it was kinda fun and cool. 🤷*♂️
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    I understand that this is an 'Arcane Trickster's Guide" but can't you achieve this by going Swashbuckler X/ Lore Bard 6 and actually be Better at it?

Yea you lose out on Sneak Attack but you gain a better range of Spells and Skills?

Not trolling and very curious about Other Magical Thief builds.
    To be fair if we're not locked into AL's PHB+1 Rav background AT (Orzhova for preferance) + Scagtrips is sorta the build-to-beat. (In AL ranged AT is our go to for Rav background abuse).

Swash with 6 lore levels really isn't cutting the mustard by comparison.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Nice guide, two things:

1) you suggest the synergy between booming blade and using a whip, but you need a feat to make booming blade work at more than a 5í range.

2) could you please elaborate on multiclassing AT/bladesinger?

Iím currently playing one but I wasnít aware that there was that much synergy. I just thought it was kinda fun and cool. ��*♂️
    To cast booming blade on a reach melee weapon, you need spell sniper. It doubles the distance of your attack spells. Booming blade has a listed range of 5ft. With spellsniper you've now got 10ft, the reach of a whip.

The problem is, you get good sneak attack damage + booming blade or green flame blade damage as per usual, but you've turned what would normally be a D8 damage die into a D4 just to keep 5 extra feet away from the enemy. With evasion, uncanny dodge, +3 to 5 AC from bladesong, another +5 from shield and +2 from haste why would you WANT to 5 feet away from the enemy? You can tank ancient dragons with that AC.

And with warcaster and bladesong you'll have advantage + INT on your concentration saves. And if you have resilient for con you're now proficient in con saves. You'll almost never drop concentration whenever you do get hit. If you get hit.

A bladesinger/arcane trickster can have 3 combat roles; AC/evasion tank, primary or secondary melee DPS, or blaster.

For AC/Evasion tank use the formula I listed above. You should have at least 29ac at this point.
    For primary/secondary melee, use an upcasted shadowblade + sword coast cantrips. You'll have 7D8 + 6D6 on a single attack with a 5th level shadowblade/booming blade combo. Now imagine that with a crit.
    For blaster, try greater invisibility with synaptic static or steel wind strike. Disadvantage on saves against synaptic static and you get advantage on your attacks with steel wind strike. Again, imagine the crits.
    Last edited by Ogeeogelthorpe; 2019-04-18 at 05:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I know Iím just scratching the surface of this class (Iím playing an eladrin arcane trickster at level 3), but it is just so much fun!

Thanks for the advice in this guide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogeeogelthorpe View Post
    For AC/Evasion tank use the formula I listed above. You should have at least 29ac at this point.
    For primary/secondary melee, use an upcasted shadowblade + sword coast cantrips. You'll have 7D8 + 6D6 on a single attack with a 5th level shadowblade/booming blade combo. Now imagine that with a crit.
    For blaster, try greater invisibility with synaptic static or steel wind strike. Disadvantage on saves against synaptic static and you get advantage on your attacks with steel wind strike. Again, imagine the crits.
    I have to say, with extra attack & Shadow Blade: 8d8 + 5d6 + 8 (66) is pretty damn good at level 15 (AT9/BS6 to pull off 5th level Shadow Blade) considering all of the utility you provide.
    Of course, it doesn't hold a candle to what some optimized nova builds are capable of, but it's pretty damn good I would say.
    Seems like AT/BS can be a pretty effective primary striker.

EDIT:
    That said, you are giving up your concentration slot if you want to do consistent damage that is in the ballpark of a straight AT.
    Here is a little chart I made comparing AT9/W2 to AT5/W6:
    Spoiler: Damage comparison
    Show

Damage (AT9/W2 VS AT5/W6):
    Level 5:
    DIP - BB: 2d8 + 3d6 + 3 (22.5/31.5)
    MC - BB: 2d8 + 2d6 + 3 (19/28) / Shadow Blade: BB: 3d8 + 2d6 + 3 (23.5/32.5)
    Level 8:
    DIP - BB: 2d8 + 3d6 + 3 (22.5/31.5) / Shadow Blade: BB: 3d8 + 3d6 + 3 (27/36)
    MC - BB: 2d8 + 2d6 + 3 (19/28) / Shadow Blade: BB: 4d8 + 2d6 + 3 (28/37)
    Level 11:
    DIP - BB: 3d8 + 5d6 + 4 (35/48.5) / Shadow Blade: BB: 3d8 + 5d6 + 4 (35/50.5)
    MC - BB: 3d8 + 3d6 + 4 (28/41.5) EA: 2d8 + 3d6 + 8 (27.5) / Shadow Blade: BB: 4d8 + 3d6 + 4 (32.5/46) EA: 6d8 + 3d6 + 8 (44.5)

Conclusions: if you want to go deeper into Wizard and be a better casting, you are going to be lagging behind in damage unless you use Shadow Blade.
    However, if you're using Shadow Blade, your concentration slot is taken, thus you won't be able to cast your most powerful spells.
    I would say this constitues a play-style of disabling first, and only then switching to Shadow Blade and striking harder.
    It's also worth noting that at level 11, when you get extra attack, you can outperfrom the regular AT by quite a bit with Shadow Blade.

@Specter: a penny for your thoughts?
    Last edited by bendking; 2019-07-02 at 10:48 AM.