New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default 3.5 Highest Reality for Shadow Spells? What is the record

Basically I have one simple question. What is the current more real than real % shadow illusion record? The highest I have found in builds is 180% and I found a way to get higher than that so I want to see if I can claim that record.
    *Of course assuming the standard level 20 and no pun pun crap

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Highest Reality for Shadow Spells? What is the record

From what has already been discussed here on the forum it is between 160% and 190%.

The 160% is normal, that goes up to 180% for damaging and an additional 30% if you can swing a planar bubble.

Going above 100% is kinda mean to those poor blaster mages and if you you do breach 200% most DM's wont let you be a gnome illusionist anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Can't you intentionally fail the save, making numbers above 100% meaningless? Or is it only intelligent creatures that have this choice only?

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    Can't you intentionally fail the save, making numbers above 100% meaningless? Or is it only intelligent creatures that have this choice only?
    You would need to make your spellcraft check to find the opponent is casting an illusion spell before being able to fail willingly your save.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You would need to make your spellcraft check to find the opponent is casting an illusion spell before being able to fail willingly your save.
    Slight correction - you can fail any save, but you wouldn't be aware of it being an illusion or otherwise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Slight correction - you can fail any save, but you wouldn't be aware of it being an illusion or otherwise.
    Yes but then you risk to fail a save against a regular fireball with meta-magics.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

i am assuming you are not counting epic since it could be stupidly high (there is a trick that nets you spell slots via heighten spell, so if you get +20 use a feat to get a 28th lvl slot, then +20 past that, use a feat to get a 47th lvl slot, ect, ect)

so with the assumption that you are asking pre-epic.
    Shadowcraft mage reality (lvl3) for 10%/ spell level reality on figment turned shadow spells (acts as shadow evocation/conjuration)
    Heighten spell + earthspell mimic 9th lvl spells at 100% reality.
    Shaowcraft mage lvl 5 ability Powerful Shadow magic for +20%
    Shadowcrafter class bonus for +40%
    Enhanced Shadow Reality Feat for +20% on damaging mimics.
    School mastery for illusionist +10%
    never understood the dark creature template bit or how it improved shadow magic but supposedly it does.
    and a planar bubble for + 30%for shadow conj/evoc/ shades spells (+20% for the rest of shadow spells)

so not counting planar bubble 170%(190 dmg spell mimic)

you will want easy metamagic and practical metamagic to boost Heighten spell along with earth spell (and the cheese associated with them. Easy metamagic: easy metamagic, practical metamagic: Easy Metamagic, then go 2 deep Easy metamagic: easy metamagic : easy metamagic, Practical Metamagic Easy metamagic: easy metamagic, ect ect ect) though it can't normally go past lvl 9 earth spell has you go to lvl 0 +1 for earth spell to make lvl 10.

or an alternate to stacking practical/easy metamagic is the Metaphysical spell shaper from the book of erotic fantasy. it has an ability that let you ability score burn yourself to reduce the cost and lvl 3 is a straight -1 to the cost of metamagic. combine with strongheart vest and essentia and you can get quite far (bonus essentia, race with essentia ect). this is controversial like using it on helfire warlock since the damage is still taken just by the vest, or not taken at all and thus shouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassoonHero View Post
    No, the problem is that the limit one can achieve with physical brute force from a human body is low, very, very, very low, so obviously someone pursuing strength via muscles is not going to get far.
    This is certainly true in 3.5, but I don't think that it's an inevitable feature of the fantasy genre. Look at wuxia. Look at mythology. Look at what "peak human" means in the DC universe. I think that "strength via muscles" can do some pretty amazing things if the system allows for it.