New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Too Excited Now! O-Chul's Book!

So I seldom look at the "Twitter feed", or even get put of "Mobile" enough to see them, but I just did and HOT DAMN!!!

Someone sent The Giant a message of:

"When's How The Paladin Got His Scar going on sale as a PDF? I've still never forgiven myself for missing the Kickstarter.

5:14 AM - 28 Jan 2018"

And in response:

"Rich Burlew@RichBurlew

Jan 29, 2018

We're going to compile this with some other Azure-City-themed material and release it as a book (and a PDF book), probably not that far in the future.
    "

Did I just read that right!

"How the Paladin Got His Scar" is going to be IN PRINT!!!

I'll be able to hold it in my HAND!

Oh man, oh man, OH MAN!!!

Why are there no fireworks and mass joyful singing, bells ringing, etc. at this news?!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Too Excited Now! O-Chul's Book!

That would be pretty nice to get to read, especially if there's additional Azure City content. I never got tired of Blue Town. There isn't a news post for it, yet, so there's probably still a ways to go.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Compile" suggests to me that the "other Azure City-themed material" isn't being done specifically for the HTPGHS book, it's just being printed for the first time. Anyone know what that could be?

4. - Top - End - #4

WolfInSheepsClothing

There's also the Spoiler Alert backer story, which is about Therkla and Sangwaan and has yet to see general release. I don't know what else exists, maybe some original stuff?

ed: Looking at the progress chart on the latest kickstarter update ... I'm not seeing much of anything. There's a Sir Francois pdf on the way which has been fully planned but not drawn at all, but that will probably not relate Azure City. Mystery Prize #9 or a Scoundrel pdf plausibly could, but those have had no work done and so I would be surprised if they were expected to finish "soon". Nothing else seems plausible as a third component from the kickstarter. Of course it's a bit of an assumption on my part that there will be a third component, but it feels right to me.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-02-03 at 01:58 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

5. - Top - End - #5

I'm thrilled about that. My favorite stuff is the extra stories, and Azure City is always fun. I hope there's some totally original content too, since as much as I love the Kickstarter stories, buying an expensive print book will be much more worth it to me with an exclusive story or two.
    !

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm quite excited for the print version, so the people who missed out on the Kickstarter can read it. Because it's amazing, and O-Chul is amazing, and I love O-Chul. I can't help but wonder if he's going to wait until all the Kickstarter PDF's are done, though, so as to put them all in the same book, along with whatever bonus material he may put in there.

Also, for Mystery Prize #9, my gold is on prequel book of some sort.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm quite excited for the print version, so the people who missed out on the Kickstarter can read it. Because it's amazing, and O-Chul is amazing, and I love O-Chul. I can't help but wonder if he's going to wait until all the Kickstarter PDF's are done, though, so as to put them all in the same book, along with whatever bonus material he may put in there.

Also, for Mystery Prize #9, my gold is on prequel book of some sort.
    I misread your last paragraph for a split second, and now my headcanon is that Rich will be giving away actual gold for Mystery Prize #9. Thanks, Peelee.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I've wanted to read this ever since the KS backers got it, so I'm delighted that it'll be out in PDF soon.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I was under the impression he wouldn't release a print book of the stories until all the backer reward stories were finished. Not that he ever said anything specific like that on the matter.

Either way, I'm definitely excited at the prospect of re-reading the O-Chul story in print form. Especially to read Rich's accompanying commentary. I want to know how an originally planned 10-page story exploded to nearly 100 pages.
    Author of The Armadillo Mysteries.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I figure it works out the same way as most of his other writing, to talk about A, you need to talk about B. To talk about B, you need to talk about C. Continue as needed.

I will say I recall seeing from the kickstarter images/ messages it was interesting to see the story grow in length over the messages. First 10 pages, then 25, then 30-something.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

This is good news indeed I already have a pdf, but if I can get my hands on the hardcover version, I'll certainly get it as well.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.