New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

NEW THREAD!

Continuing from where we left off...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Except he has barely any of them.
    Ok then
    1. He's class president, that's literally his job. Also a stock character trait for characters who are/ will become class president.
    2.I don't remember what this is in reference to, when they went undercover? I imagine he was being serious because he doesn't use humour to relax and his classmate had been kidnapped was likely about to be murdered, seems pretty reasonable to me.
    3.Or he's just grown up to have a formal speech pattern, he also uses the speech pattern to family when he was younger if they where trying to make him come across as Autistic I would have expected a different speech pattern to be shown when he was younger before he got better at managing it.
    4. Or perhaps he's a teen who's about to go into an emergency situation with the possibility of killing/saving people from being trampled. I imagine anyone would have a case of the nerves at that point.
    5. Or it's just a character trait being active with his hands while talking, if we're saying that's a trait of autism (apparently the main one according to this thread) entire nations would fall under it.
    6. I don't remember an exact example of this, but again likely because he doesn't use humour to defuse the tension like alot of his classmates do and is generally pretty uptight and straight when dealing with people therefore expecting the same back otherwise. (Could be a trait yes but also not exactly uncommon even if not.)
    1: By itself yes, but taken in with everything else it can be more than just the standard "he is a prim and proper professional child"
    2: The hero fighting training where he had to pretend to be evil.
    3: This is a fair arguement, but again like with point one "everything taken together" makes it far more likely. And no, if he is a high functioning autistic person/aspergers then he would in fact be MORE likely to be that level of robot sophistication as a child. The idea is to become LESS like that, which he is clearly trying to do to some degree, so you appear more like a child and not a small adult.
    4: The specific way he encourages himself to do it matters. Admitidly I feel this is the weakest point but only because I don't remember the scene well
    5: We are not saying it's the main one, just saying it's the main visible factor. Also, Japan IS NOT A COUNTRY that has that trait and as such you've just made our own argument. It's also a SPECIFIC arm movement, the same exact arm movement, repeatedly, shown to be something he did as a child so much his brother teased him about being a robot. It's not just a hand talking thing, it's a clear physical tic.
    6: I also don't remember an exact example of this, but I can think of some examples of Iida misreading the situation because of his serious nature. Example, Deku muttering to himself as he takes note and Iida seeing this as being INCREDIBLY disruptive to the entrance exam meeting.

Again, you can believe he isn't, and we can believe he is, and ultimately we won't know if it's not confirmed in universe or not. But what we believe has far more evidence towards it than not, and speaking from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, Iida is 100% that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

In one of the Tensei flashbacks of was implied that Tenya had issues with sarcasm/figures of speech

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Ah, my suggestion was accepted

Ugh.... I don't think I want to contribute to this recent topic...

Rather I'd like to point out how much more I like the characters who got a hobby to flesh them more out. And how sad it is that some even very central characters apparently don't have any? Like.. I guess Deku has his hero obsession and Katsuki has "being a ***" or maybe being the best. But Uraraka? Shoji? Even Ida? None I can think of.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Ah, my suggestion was accepted

Ugh.... I don't think I want to contribute to this recent topic...

Rather I'd like to point out how much more I like the characters who got a hobby to flesh them more out. And how sad it is that some even very central characters apparently don't have any? Like.. I guess Deku has his hero obsession and Katsuki has "being a ***" or maybe being the best. But Uraraka? Shoji? Even Ida? None I can think of.
    They do have hobbies, they just didn't talk about em or don't have hobbies that are applicable to the situation. Not that this didn't stop Iida from trying to put his hobby up on the board (and Deku for that matter). There's 20 things put on the board, and we know who put up maybe 15 of them baring miscounts and me deciding preemptively that "Deathmatch" and "Hero Quiz" and "Frog Chorus" are pretty obvious.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    They do have hobbies, they just didn't talk about em or don't have hobbies that are applicable to the situation. Not that this didn't stop Iida from trying to put his hobby up on the board (and Deku for that matter). There's 20 things put on the board, and we know who put up maybe 15 of them baring miscounts and me deciding preemptively that "Deathmatch" and "Hero Quiz" and "Frog Chorus" are pretty obvious.
    Well, as 'people' they do but as long as we don't learn about it that doesn't help much, does it? I could make up hobbies for them but that doesn't really help from my perspective.

Yeah, Deathmatch is clearly Urararaka's idea. Though... I'm not sure what a frog chorus would look like as an event
    "What's done is done."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Uraraka's idea was Mochi Shop. And since Kirishima already suggested Arm Wrestling, Death Match can't be anyone but Bakugo.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, as 'people' they do but as long as we don't learn about it that doesn't help much, does it? I could make up hobbies for them but that doesn't really help from my perspective.

Yeah, Deathmatch is clearly Urararaka's idea. Though... I'm not sure what a frog chorus would look like as an event
    Yeah, that's a good point. It'd be nice to get more slice of life stuff for our main characters.

Frog Chorus would probably have a sort of dutch-y feel to it, for reasons I can't quite narrow on besides it being the Fantasy World setting Tsu had, so it'd be appropriate for everyone. And also throat singing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Uraraka's idea was Mochi Shop. And since Kirishima already suggested Arm Wrestling, Death Match can't be anyone but Bakugo.
    That was sarcasm

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

let me speak as someone actually diagnosed with high-functioning autism on that topic:
    I don't know the character and how they act, but what I can tell is a common saying about autism: "you meet one autistic person, you met one autistic person." none of us are truly the same. so its kind of hard to pin down generalities.

second of all,trying to tell if a character is a portrayal of this or that neurodiverse thing is hard in general. mostly because most writers don't have that experience, and even if they read up on the subject its hard to really portray any neurodiverse character accurately without falling into exaggeration, because the entire problem is something going on in the person's head. you can't really visually show that or describe it well aside from journey inside the mind shenanigans and even those might be inaccurate metaphors.

complicating the matter is that any healthy neurodiverse person in real life somehow gets help for their particular mental quirks or figure it out themselves to pass for normal to make things easier for themselves. of course what I've been taught is that high-functioning autistic people have low social energy so their ability to pass for a socially skilled person has well....a time limit, its like running, sure if you sprint you can run really fast, but then after a short while you collapse from the exertion while everyone else is a marathon runner used to running for far longer. I certainly feel that way at times. I CAN be social, but I tire quickly of it and wish to go back to my own things, particularly if it involves tiresome real life arguments with negative emotions thrown about.

I believe the person we're talking is about Tenya? intangible dude? real badass? whatever. there might be signs of him being autistic, and if he is meant to be portrayed as such thats cool, and maybe he can be interpreted as such and if you want to think that way, thats cool, but I wouldn't be definitive about saying that he is unless the author himself says so. I mean, if authors do want to have more neurodiverse representation in media, thats great, I'll be wholeheartedly behind that, its just that due to the complicated nature of the autistic spectrum, getting a hard diagnosis for whether or not he is high-functioning autistic is far from a sure thing. in such stories the only person that we can examine enough to truly determine such a thing is probably the main protagonist, which in this case is Midoriya. and whether he is autistic is an entirely different can of worms which I will not open.

in short: Tenya might be high-functioning autistic, and I can headcanon that to be true, but I wouldn't say it to be a sure thing if only out of respect for the professionals who worked so hard to get the expertise to make a real diagnosis rather than a fan's amateur attempt at one.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    let me speak as someone actually diagnosed with high-functioning autism on that topic:
    I don't know the character and how they act, but what I can tell is a common saying about autism: "you meet one autistic person, you met one autistic person." none of us are truly the same. so its kind of hard to pin down generalities.

second of all,trying to tell if a character is a portrayal of this or that neurodiverse thing is hard in general. mostly because most writers don't have that experience, and even if they read up on the subject its hard to really portray any neurodiverse character accurately without falling into exaggeration, because the entire problem is something going on in the person's head. you can't really visually show that or describe it well aside from journey inside the mind shenanigans and even those might be inaccurate metaphors.

complicating the matter is that any healthy neurodiverse person in real life somehow gets help for their particular mental quirks or figure it out themselves to pass for normal to make things easier for themselves. of course what I've been taught is that high-functioning autistic people have low social energy so their ability to pass for a socially skilled person has well....a time limit, its like running, sure if you sprint you can run really fast, but then after a short while you collapse from the exertion while everyone else is a marathon runner used to running for far longer. I certainly feel that way at times. I CAN be social, but I tire quickly of it and wish to go back to my own things, particularly if it involves tiresome real life arguments with negative emotions thrown about.

I believe the person we're talking is about Tenya? intangible dude? real badass? whatever. there might be signs of him being autistic, and if he is meant to be portrayed as such thats cool, and maybe he can be interpreted as such and if you want to think that way, thats cool, but I wouldn't be definitive about saying that he is unless the author himself says so. I mean, if authors do want to have more neurodiverse representation in media, thats great, I'll be wholeheartedly behind that, its just that due to the complicated nature of the autistic spectrum, getting a hard diagnosis for whether or not he is high-functioning autistic is far from a sure thing. in such stories the only person that we can examine enough to truly determine such a thing is probably the main protagonist, which in this case is Midoriya. and whether he is autistic is an entirely different can of worms which I will not open.

in short: Tenya might be high-functioning autistic, and I can headcanon that to be true, but I wouldn't say it to be a sure thing if only out of respect for the professionals who worked so hard to get the expertise to make a real diagnosis rather than a fan's amateur attempt at one.
    Correct name, wrong literally everything else. He's the guy with motorcycle engines in his legs.

That said, your in short at the end is basically 100% spot on.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Correct name, wrong literally everything else. He's the guy with motorcycle engines in his legs.

That said, your in short at the end is basically 100% spot on.
    Oh right! Iida. I thought you were talking about Lemillion for some reason. yeah he might be autistic, but he also might just be a very good student and dedicated to his career who just so happens to need glasses. I could see him being autistic, I could see Deku being autistic, if we're going with my own highly subjective experiences I could see Todoroki being autistic simply because he acts the way I act around my father and also at other times, but that might just be portrayal of a guy who has good reason to hate their father, heck Shigaraki has some signs, people like that. maybe Froppy. its not a sure thing.

like I'd be more sure about telling you who definitely ISN'T autistic, like Bakugo definitely isn't, Mina isn't, Kirishima definitely isn't, Hagakure definitely is not. because while an autistic can be social, going out of the way to be social and making yourself the center of attention or whatever is not something that they do. thats like hating fighting then going out to do boxing at a ring.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Oh right! Iida. I thought you were talking about Lemillion for some reason. yeah he might be autistic, but he also might just be a very good student and dedicated to his career who just so happens to need glasses. I could see him being autistic, I could see Deku being autistic, if we're going with my own highly subjective experiences I could see Todoroki being autistic simply because he acts the way I act around my father and also at other times, but that might just be portrayal of a guy who has good reason to hate their father, heck Shigaraki has some signs, people like that. maybe Froppy. its not a sure thing.

like I'd be more sure about telling you who definitely ISN'T autistic, like Bakugo definitely isn't, Mina isn't, Kirishima definitely isn't, Hagakure definitely is not. because while an autistic can be social, going out of the way to be social and making yourself the center of attention or whatever is not something that they do. thats like hating fighting then going out to do boxing at a ring.
    Froppy/Tsu isn't she just IS A FROG so emoting is hard for her because frogs do not physically emote very well.

I feel like if you're permanently invisible like Hagekure is, you have to be at least a little extroverted because...otherwise you're literally invisible and that's just kind of awful a life to live.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Its further complicated by that this applies just as well to someone who are introverted. I mean.. the spring/marathon bit.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #13

Corrections from garbage fan translation!

• Iiida says he's "not sure" about the haunted house, not that he doesn't know what that is
    • Mineta suggests "strib clu-" but is cut off, but the board suggestion is fully written which is less funny to me personally.
    • Tokoyami suggests "A BANQUEST OF DARKNESS"
    • Eraserhead threatens them with REGULAR CLASS.
    • I hadn't noticed this before but the thought balloon of Todoroki and Bakugo dancing is great.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, Tokoyami. Never, ever change.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Sometimes I feel like Dark Shadow is a weird manifestation of a broad psychic quirk- like Tokoyami was supposed to have telekinesis and some extra senses, but he was just so much of an edgelord that his psychic aura just naturally forms into a shadow bird dude.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sometimes I feel like Dark Shadow is a weird manifestation of a broad psychic quirk- like Tokoyami was supposed to have telekinesis and some extra senses, but he was just so much of an edgelord that his psychic aura just naturally forms into a shadow bird dude.
    Someone's psychic abilities changing appearance based on their personality is perfectly reasonable.

Also now I'm thinking of Tokoyami having a Stand. I choose to believe he would have In The Shadows.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That wouldn't be unprecedented. All Might mentions to Deku that Quirks can be re-evaluated later in life, and furthermore a lot of what they train to do is use their Quirks in new ways. It wouldn't surprise me if Tokoyami develops a new technique or discovers something he could have done all along.

In the first place, I think the idea of a Quirk as a sentient being is kind of odd. The psychic theory makes more sense to me, but that's a personal opinion. Where this theory gets interesting is the question of whether or not the quirk's dark/light interaction is simply an inherent nature of the quirk itself or a limitation caused by Tokoyami's own mentality.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that didn't take long...

Spoiler
    Show

We learn who the mysterious villain(?) is... a super-attention whore. Who can manipulate time, it seems. And is a bit goofy.

Also: Eri's story continues to be sad. Togata is a little creepy. And Deku raises the stakes at the festival.. How could this go wrong?
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully, given Gentle and Lovelover are ridiculous, nothing bad happens.

Because seriously Gentle and Lovelover are hilarious.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully, given Gentle and Lovelover are ridiculous, nothing bad happens.

Because seriously Gentle and Lovelover are hilarious.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, they're certainly not menacing. The tea bit was funny but I wouldn't say hilarious yet. I'll say I'm hooked, though.

Also... I sure hope Eri takes it fine when she hears about Sir....
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    A new villain, and an attention-seeking performer too. I agree that right now he doesn't exactly ooze with menace, given the tea pouring scene, but I'm guessing he might crash the cultural festival.

And Eri not knowing about Nighteye is just a sad thing waiting to happen. I'm sure Deku and Lem will do what they can though.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still not sure how to feel about tbe fact that one of the most powerful characters in the manga was modeled after Tintin.

23. - Top - End - #23

I'm still not sure how to feel about tbe fact that one of the most powerful characters in the manga was modeled after Tintin.
    If Tintin and the Vaultboy had a kid, yeah.

Honestly I like it, I've always loved Horikoshi's kinda casual "here's just some weird rando" style of drawing. In Barrage it was aliens, in Zoo it was the weird animal designs, and here it's just people with incidental quirks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean. I get the general idea of having different looks inspired by Western comics. I just never expected Tintin.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I mean. I get the general idea of having different looks inspired by Western comics. I just never expected Tintin.
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE... Uh... French classics? Did he go on record saying it was meant to look like Tintin? Because he might be the most famous character looking like this but I'm sure the general style is not exclusive to him.(?)

On another note... I'm finally caught up with the anime. Certainly exciting final episodes. I'm looking forward to next season.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

There is no conceivable way to get a character that accidentally looks like Tintin.

Just like Stain is obviously meant to be an homage to the style of the Spawn series.

27. - Top - End - #27

There is no conceivable way to get a character that accidentally looks like Tintin.

Just like Stain is obviously meant to be an homage to the style of the Spawn series.
    While you're correct, I'll have you know Stain is clearly based on Insaniac from Small Soldiers.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-02-09 at 01:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mirio and Deku are just so wholesome, I love them.

Also loved the tea pouring scene.

29. - Top - End - #29

Official scans are here! Gentle says he's doing the crimes FOR EXPOSURE, showing his truly heinous villainy for all to see. Lovelover's real name is La Brava, which I'm not sure on the origin. Given their stage performance I'm guessing it's just The Brave (femine form). The only other use of la brava I found was in the mexican idiom "a la brava" which means "like it or not" effectively, but since brava when used in this form is to mean "forcefully or bravely" and given the showmanship style of Gentle and La Brava, they're clearly going for the "brave" wording here. Though it can also be read as "Boisterous" or "Rambunctios" or "Savage" which contrasts nicely with Gentle.

So yeah sorry folks, Lovelover is dead. Long live Likehater The Brave.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-02-12 at 01:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Also depending on how closely you pronounce your b's and v's, you can get "love robber"