New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh, I can totally agree with 'you haven't used a lot of Nomu recently' being an argument, but Dabi taking back only the special one? What about that tells you they won't bring it (or others) to the fight here?

I guess something blowing up in your mouth is less lethal than in your arteries - no idea what I was thinking - but it still seems like something that should be more than just a little painful.

But I guess I misread the bits about her Toga's background, yes. Though, because it seems to be Deku's fault she's herself now... That's just a pretty effed up dynamic.
    It wasn't Deku in her flashback, that was someone else from her old class probably. It's a different school uniform and given the framing it's clear she was "revealing her true self" to him, so she could become him.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

That person is wearing a properly tied tie and thus cannot logically be Deku. Probably someone who looks like him. He is the "plain-looking" one, after all.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Wowowow... wait... okay, the outfit doesn't fit but if that isn't Deku it's his identical twin brother. Come on, Kohei can do better than that! Or am I really being blind here?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, Deku is plain-looking. If anything, the resemblance might have added to Toga's... fascination with him.

5. - Top - End - #1265

Wowowow... wait... okay, the outfit doesn't fit but if that isn't Deku it's his identical twin brother. Come on, Kohei can do better than that! Or am I really being blind here?
    No freckles, hair isn't as poofy, ear shape is different, general facial structure is a little off around the mouth, and his hands are completely different.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It wasn't Deku in her flashback, that was someone else from her old class probably. It's a different school uniform and given the framing it's clear she was "revealing her true self" to him, so she could become him.
    I don't think that's supposed to be any kind of literal flashback. It's a representation of her mental state and what caused her to stop pretending to fit in (the mask she's wearing in the flashback cracks).

So it's not Deku, its some kind of idealised representation of him in Toga's imagination.

Interesting to see that it's him there though, because the person who originally inspired her was Stain.

7. - Top - End - #1267

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I don't think that's supposed to be any kind of literal flashback. It's a representation of her mental state and what caused her to stop pretending to fit in (the mask she's wearing in the flashback cracks).

So it's not Deku, its some kind of idealised representation of him in Toga's imagination.

Interesting to see that it's him there though, because the person who originally inspired her was Stain.
    It's a literal flashback with a metaphorical bent. The panels of it after showing that guy (who is a little roughed up and holding a hand out to stop someone) are her, the mask cracking off, holding a bloody box cutter. This is the memory of her first kill, or at least first human kill.

8. - Top - End - #1268

Flumph

It's a literal flashback with a metaphorical bent. The panels of it after showing that guy (who is a little roughed up and holding a hand out to stop someone) are her, the mask cracking off, holding a bloody box cutter. This is the memory of her first kill, or at least first human kill.
    See I don’t agree. The order of the panels is her fitting in with others with the mask, focus on the mask, someone who looks like Deku winding up a punch, then the mask starts to crack.

It’s not intended to be literal, because her obsession with Deku comes later. It’s symbolic of her seeing someone not trying to fit in and realising it was an option for her as well. And we know that was originally Stain, but has been replaced with Deku because that’s how her head works, she becomes obsessed with an individual to the point she wants to kill and become them.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shan Tsung wins! Fatality!

10. - Top - End - #1270

Flumph

Spoiler: 226
    Show

Given what we've seen in the last arc, I think this is a timely upgrade for the villain squad. I think we'll probably get some kind of similar growth for Spinner and Twice (Dabi is probably already strong enough).

They were in danger of being pretty badly outclassed by the heroes without a nice buff, and Noumus are too personality-lite to be the whole of the muscle forever.

I'm starting to think the Meta-Liberation Army isn't going to trouble the heroes too much if their leaders are already getting splatted, this is a raw villain-on-villain arc.

Also, strong bid for Best Girl.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't stick it in crazy, man.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like these revolutionary army guys are made out of Plasticine compared to most people in this world we've definitely seen people fall from that far without issue before. (I'm debating if they have someone with a quirk similar to double and if that would be a good thing.)
    Also how did Toga even realise her ability was to do with drinking blood so that she would start getting attached to it.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like these revolutionary army guys are made out of Plasticine compared to most people in this world we've definitely seen people fall from that far without issue before. (I'm debating if they have someone with a quirk similar to double and if that would be a good thing.)
    Also how did Toga even realise her ability was to do with drinking blood so that she would start getting attached to it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For one we can assume she waited for them to get high enough for them to go splat. Or that they were accelerating upward really fast. Whatever.

For two, I think it makes more sense that her attachment to blood/desire to drink blood came before her knowledge that she can use it to shapeshift.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    For one we can assume she waited for them to get high enough for them to go splat. Or that they were accelerating upward really fast. Whatever.

For two, I think it makes more sense that her attachment to blood/desire to drink blood came before her knowledge that she can use it to shapeshift.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Falling from height was a problem in the entrance exam. Ochako had to save Deku after he smacked down the big robit. So it isn't completely unknown as a problem in the series.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... On the one hand this development was extremely likely to the point where it had to happen... On the other, it just happens to work when it's crucial. So... I mean, I can't be too annoyed but I still kind of am.

Edit: also I guess I was 10 billion percent wrong on the flashback. Dang.
    Last edited by Kato; 2019-04-25 at 09:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, Horikoshi did talk about
    Spoiler
    Show
    Toga being able to mimic quirks
    in some of her concept art.

Also getting a new power-up in times of stress is like. The Shonen Way.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show

See it wasn't a stress power up though. Reporter lady specifically asks that, and Toga says no. She's actively been practicing this, and this is simply the first time she's done it on screen.

The implication though is that unlike Monoma she doesnt get any knowledge of how to use her borrowed powers from her own quirk. She clearly has to work it out the hard way, which she did by... dear god how much stalking of Ochako has she done?

18. - Top - End - #1278

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    Show

See it wasn't a stress power up though. Reporter lady specifically asks that, and Toga says no. She's actively been practicing this, and this is simply the first time she's done it on screen.

The implication though is that unlike Monoma she doesnt get any knowledge of how to use her borrowed powers from her own quirk. She clearly has to work it out the hard way, which she did by... dear god how much stalking of Ochako has she done?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given they were on national TV it might not be THAT hard, but fair point.

Anyway hey this chapter RULED. It makes sense that Toga would be hiding some things up her sleeves, though it's clear she isn't 100% sure she'd be able to do it. But she did it through the power of love and this knife she found!

Also every single picture of Toga is ****ing amazing in how wonderful it makes her look and how disturbing it really, really is.

Also hey, New Vigilantes! With...a cover art reference to ****ing The Outsiders? Alright.
    Spoiler
    Show

Look I'm a ****ing sap alright? Celebrity's story with his wife was just SO good. It makes it very clear that he is the one who changed, not her. And the other pro heroes are here, hooray!

Also I love Koichi's commentary. "PLEASE STOP EXPLAINING HOW TERRIFYING THIS ACTUALLY IS!"

19. - Top - End - #1279

Flumph

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Where does she say she's been practicing? She says it wasn't fear that drove her to power up, but a desire to be even more like the people she loves.

Toga is surprised to be using Ochaco's quirk, she didn't know this was possible either.

She didn't even use Ochaco's form to try and use her quirk, but because she's learned that people will be just that little bit softer on a high school girl than they would otherwise*, and she could exploit that moment of hesitation to get away.

This is a classic by-the-numbers Shonen powerup via guts under pressure. It's just happening to a villain because this is their arc.

* Remember this has been a thing in the series before. At the sports festival everyone underestimated Ochaco and thought Bakugou should go easy on her but she pushed him harder than anyone else, and in the last arc everyone was worried about stopping Deku and she cleaned up 4/5 of the enemy team solo.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-04-26 at 05:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Yeah, like Gloating says, I have no idea what makes you think this is more than coincidence/stress. And I don't think she has a harder time than Monoma if she gets it from watching. Though, her obsession clearly helps.

So... I guess we'll get more (convenient) stress powerups? What's Twice logical next step up?

Spoiler
    Show

Look I'm a ****ing sap alright? Celebrity's story with his wife was just SO good. It makes it very clear that he is the one who changed, not her. And the other pro heroes are here, hooray!

Also I love Koichi's commentary. "PLEASE STOP EXPLAINING HOW TERRIFYING THIS ACTUALLY IS!"
    I mean, yeah, the story was sweet, if a bit clichee, but wasn't it pretty clearly established Captain is a womanizer and also a bit of a douche? He conveniently ignores these parts and mostly cclames others for his problems. Which is in character but still. Also, his wife is a massive Tsundere. Who would have thought.
    But it was fun and I guess everything is good now (?)
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #1281

Yeah, like Gloating says, I have no idea what makes you think this is more than coincidence/stress. And I don't think she has a harder time than Monoma if she gets it from watching. Though, her obsession clearly helps.

So... I guess we'll get more (convenient) stress powerups? What's Twice logical next step up?

I mean, yeah, the story was sweet, if a bit clichee, but wasn't it pretty clearly established Captain is a womanizer and also a bit of a douche? He conveniently ignores these parts and mostly cclames others for his problems. Which is in character but still. Also, his wife is a massive Tsundere. Who would have thought.
    But it was fun and I guess everything is good now (?)
    I think it'll be less power ups and more...refinement, for someone like Twice. Maybe a modification of how he utilizes his clones so he can clone BITS of himself, but not full bodies?

This is a good question and borders on an interesting but possibly verboten target. It's established quite clearly that Captain Celebrity's douchy, womanizing nature is not an act of malice, but just a case of him actually just being that ****ing stupid. Does his ignorance at the fact that he might be hurting people make him less bad in retrospect? Does it make him worse? It's a valid question, one I don't really have an answer for myself. I feel as though they've made it clear that like, 90% of what he's dinged for is just people out to get him or the media making it look worse than it is, and the other 10% is him actually being too stupid to realize he's being an *******.

Basically, Captain Celebrity is a mixture of the two Eagle-Land trope sets. He's noble and caring and charismatic and dumb as a ****ing post, with the ego to boost but with a heart as strong as vast as this wide nation, a nation he could not find on a map with both hands.

22. - Top - End - #1282

Flumph

I think her obsession is actually required. Her ability to use someone else's quirk will be tied to her desire to be just like that person, and she doesn't want that for just anyone.

And Monoma gets an inherent understanding of how to use quirks he's never seen.

So Toga will be less versatile, but able to keep up a transformation longer (if she can get enough blood) and store them longer (she got that blood from Ochaco months ago, like back at the training camp which is 6 months or so ago in-story).

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: New Chapter (Yar Har Fiddle-Dee-Dee)
    Show

Tenko remembers his sister a little bit, who has a not- very-huge resemblance to Toga at least in general. He remembers an image of Nana with his young father.
    How he cannot see that none of the hands attached to him are a very young female's is beyond me but OK.

Also the fact that he disintegrated an entire crowd be cause he was envisioning them as a single morphous blob is terrifying. The fact that they were all probably bumping against each other probably helped but still Holy S**t.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-05-10 at 07:00 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Lots of short notes.
    Toga's out of juice.
    The bosses are weirdos, but I guess I've seen worse excuses for the villains(????) to spill their plans to someone.
    Shiguraki evolves and flashbacks and I really wonder if this is meant to somehow fixing him or... something.
    And it's hot vs cold next time, I guess.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Bugbear in the Playground

Powerup through sleep deprivation

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Ettin in the Playground

My Hero Academia Chapter 220 released on 05/12/19
    Shonen Jump and Viz.com free most recent comic viewer.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

27. - Top - End - #1287

T H E B L A C K D E A T H.

That is what I think of when it turns out Shigaraki's quirk is infectious. He is a wasting disease made manifest. I love this. This is brilliant.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't quite say brilliant.. Not to be too critical I wonder how helpful this effect will actually be in combat, assuming it 'only' means he can multikill large numbers of people. Most fights aren't about numbers and most enemies don't form big blobs. In this battle it will be a good thing but in the future..? (also, yes, I'm fun at parties)

Also, according to Vigilantes, Jeanist is way OP!
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #1289

I wouldn't quite say brilliant.. Not to be too critical I wonder how helpful this effect will actually be in combat, assuming it 'only' means he can multikill large numbers of people. Most fights aren't about numbers and most enemies don't form big blobs. In this battle it will be a good thing but in the future..? (also, yes, I'm fun at parties)

Also, according to Vigilantes, Jeanist is way OP!
    I mean, his power being infectious opens up entire new avenues for it. What if he gets into the water supply and throws down some slowly rotting finger chunks. It's just a question of just how infectious Decay is.

All For One himself recognized that Best Jeanist, who's power is denimancy, is worthy of his spot as the number 4 best hero in the world. It is no surprise that he's actually a genuine badass.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, his power being infectious opens up entire new avenues for it. What if he gets into the water supply and throws down some slowly rotting finger chunks. It's just a question of just how infectious Decay is.

All For One himself recognized that Best Jeanist, who's power is denimancy, is worthy of his spot as the number 4 best hero in the world. It is no surprise that he's actually a genuine badass.
    I'm not entirely sure if that is how it works. It seems he still has range touch but he can multitarget now? But I assume we'll have to see how exactly it improved, beyond this one occasion.

Well, yeah, but if the condition is 'it must be a fiber' this should also include muscle fiber, etc, and if his control isn't affected by weight or anything he could bloodbend anyone.
    "What's done is done."