New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Some stuff only seems to be available as volumes though, so it does matter for several series.
    You'd have to give me some examples since everything I've tested lets me read the individual chapters.

I know like, Hunter x Hunter is only available as volumes, but i mean...that's not what we're discussing?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-08 at 07:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

You know, I had a feeling that One For All could have potentially been used to create a multi-quirked individual.

Granted, in my head it involved One For All (the little brother) not receiving the power stockpiling quirk but instead simply passing on his ability to pass on his quirk.

Granted, One For All is described as the combined physical ability of many people, and quirks are often likened to physical abilities so *shrug* it makes a sort of sense if you squint.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    You know, I had a feeling that One For All could have potentially been used to create a multi-quirked individual.

Granted, in my head it involved One For All (the little brother) not receiving the power stockpiling quirk but instead simply passing on his ability to pass on his quirk.

Granted, One For All is described as the combined physical ability of many people, and quirks are often likened to physical abilities so *shrug* it makes a sort of sense if you squint.
    Possibly. The writer can write this, and it will be internally consistent with the rules we seen so far (I think), but the writer could also choose not to do this and it will also be internally consistent with the rules we seen so far. We got multiple choices of how this situation could develop if different things happened.

*Nods* it is possible. Just like it is possible that Empire Strikes Back Luke could have stayed on Dagobah when Yoda told Luke not to board that damn x-wing. It is possible that Vader would not have harmed* Han, Leia, Chewie, the Droids, etc for the whole point was bait. Or Vader could have gotten angry and be a petty little Dark Lord and hurt them permanently out of Dark Lord Spite in order to get Luke's attention. (harmed* here meant permanent harm for Vader was purposefully torturing Han in order to get Luke's attention via the force.)
    • There is a reason why we see in The Last Jedi, Old Man Luke choose a different path, to ignore the pain and suffering, to ignore the trials and tribulations of the world and thus Luke submerges his own x-wing to make it harder to engage with his instincts. He is presented a similar choice as he was in the past, and this time he choose a different path, the one Yoda wanted him to choose in ESB.

*Nods* I think you are correct John Cribati.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

There is a reason why we see in The Last Jedi, Old Man Luke choose a different path, to ignore the pain and suffering, to ignore the trials and tribulations of the world and thus Luke submerges his own x-wing to make it harder to engage with his instincts. He is presented a similar choice as he was in the past, and this time he choose a different path, the one Yoda wanted him to choose in ESB.
    Likely also one of the many reasons, for why quite a few people though that movie garbage.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #965
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    There is a reason why we see in The Last Jedi, Old Man Luke choose a different path, to ignore the pain and suffering, to ignore the trials and tribulations of the world and thus Luke submerges his own x-wing to make it harder to engage with his instincts. He is presented a similar choice as he was in the past, and this time he choose a different path, the one Yoda wanted him to choose in ESB.
    I'm pretty sure the path Yoda wanted him to take was to prepare and train and then face Vader when he was skilled enough to win, not to hide away forever.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I'm pretty sure the path Yoda wanted him to take was to prepare and train and then face Vader when he was skilled enough to win, not to hide away forever.
    Yes that is the problem of mimetic desires, this is the problem with language and reading each other's intentions for we see some of each other intentions so clearly and then we fill in the blanks of what we do not see so clearly, we confabulate where we fill in the blanks without even realizing what seems obvious from our perspective is not what the other person is truly intending.

Luke in Empire "can-not" listen to Yoda, for he keeps on seeing the images of Han and Leia being torture and he "can-not" turn away. Those thoughts have "presence / present" in his mind, and all the other things that are important are "absent" (temporarily.) Even though they "absent" things still exist outside one's senses, memory, attention.

Luke over-corrected twice in the opposite extremes, that is the joke / that is the irony, but all humans / sentient beings do that, we all make ironic mistakes. That is the lesson on failure, a lesson that Yoda is a teacher knows, but he too must learn again and again for knowing is not the same as doing and understanding is not the same as knowing.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You'd have to give me some examples since everything I've tested lets me read the individual chapters.

I know like, Hunter x Hunter is only available as volumes, but i mean...that's not what we're discussing?
    It seems to be limited to certain series. Hunter x Hunter, the JoJo stuff. A couple others. Not sure why that is really.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Grumbles for I want new content.

My body is doing the Stephen Colbert "Give It To Me Now" gif.

I am bumping this thread to make other people suffer, for MHA will not return until the 21st of January and I need to share this "news".

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Yea and of all the chapters to take a break after.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea and of all the chapters to take a break after.
    "What's that, Casca just got her memories back after twenty one years? Time for a single Griffith chapter and then another indefinite hiatus..."

You don't know from break....

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    "What's that, Casca just got her memories back after twenty one years? Time for a single Griffith chapter and then another indefinite hiatus..."

You don't know from break....
    I had mostly blocked out that sadness and placed it with my tears from Hunter x Hunter being defacto canceled.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    Aha I've been waiting for confirmation of this for awhile, should cause some interesting scenes when Deku starts manifesting multiple quirks. I do wonder how much All might relied on these powers though or if he kept them under wraps to prevent questions.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I dont think he had those powers. It sounded like its a new power thats first being manifested now.
    Though im not certain i like it. Deku already had a strong power set, without getting a random upgrade.

Shisomething Facehand straight up needs AfO to stand a chance against Deku.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    After the first dream about OfA that Deku had, it was implied that what he actually inherited was the powers of every single OfA user, amplified (not just raw strength, as was said by All Might in the beginning of the series). It's just that only now he was able to manifest one of these, albeit not in an controlled fashion. I'm not sure any previous user was able to manifest the other's powers, but at least it's clear that All Might certainly never used them. No indication of his master's using, or mentioning, them either. I like this development, in particular because it's very consistent with what has been shown so far in the manga. Now, to see how Deku will grasp his new found quirk, and what will take to manifest the other 5 (6?) remaining.

Also, as I heard somewhere, and I agree, it's reminiscent of the old Flame of Recca protagonist's inner dragons thingies.
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

15. - Top - End - #975
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    My reading is that All Might couldn't actually use those other quirks because One for All gets stronger with each user and it wasn't ranked up enough yet.

Now it is, so all the quirks of previous users that had one are going to come back, and be enhanced by its power.

16. - Top - End - #976

Spoiler
    Show
    It does make some sense going by the power of one for all. I mean it started off as two quirks already. Stockpiling power, and being able to pass it on. Its pretty explicitly stated that its gaining power generation to generation, but its never explicitly stated that all its doing is stockpiling the basic brick power set. So seeing as how its already two quirks combined at its most basic level, more being dragged along for the ride makes sense. The timing of course, is suspect as its an AMAZING coincidence that this only starts happening with the protagonist and never before. But iirc we have had signs of one for all changing all the way back during the festival fight with whats his name, shisui? The mind control guy. When he tried to make deku walk out of the ring, he had a sort of Avatar experience where it seems like the previous users helped him break the control. And All Might had no freaking clue about any such thing being possible.

Now, an interesting possibility is, One For All seems to be getting to the point where it cant be fully used, like its too much power to unleash without destroying yourself, maybe all this extra "overflow" is being focused into the other quirks brought along for the ride? Like they are recessive abilities that havent worked till now because they didnt have the power to force them active. But now midoriya is still only using a fraction of the power available to him, so where is the rest going? Possibly into powering these other quirks. Its possible that in the end he wont be as strong as all might in a fist to fist clash, but he will still be absurdly strong and tough AND have access to the quirks of the former owners of One For All. Granting him crazy flexibility to match his still fairly overwhelming power. It seems like an interesting setup to me. Sort of a slow motion and willing collection of quirks to match all for ones theft. And also a way to set things up so the next generation can handle one for all at more than 1% power without exploding.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    I have long expected the reason Deku is the greatest hero of all time is OfA will be too strong to use for the next person. All Might is already Shonen Hero level, he was much stronger then his master and Deku should be much stronger then him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

18. - Top - End - #978

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have long expected the reason Deku is the greatest hero of all time is OfA will be too strong to use for the next person. All Might is already Shonen Hero level, he was much stronger then his master and Deku should be much stronger then him.
    Thats why I suspect
    Spoiler
    Show
    One For All will adapt and start boosting every quirk it gets from its previous bearers. Assuming it survives as a quirk past the end of the story of course. Like you said its getting deep into the "too strong" territory, so now its topped off on how strong and durable it can make someone, and will instead start magnifying its other quirks. This has the side effect of making it potentially limitless as there will constantly be other quirks to enhance with all the extra power that gets added to each generation. Might not want to give it to quirkless people too often though as eventually it may make THOSE quirks too strong as well.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

I meanwhile suspect that OfA will be allowed to die out along with AfO, mostly because one is growing to strong to have around without the other.

Though on a more important note,
    WHAT THE &%¤# IS WRONG WITH THOSE TEACHERS?!
    Every single one of them, Eraser and AM including, is past a criminal degree of negligence.
    They are letting a freaking combat excersise continue, after someone who is strong enough to break stone with his bare fist,
    loses control over his quirk.

20. - Top - End - #980

Hmmm, I dunno, remember what they are being trained for. They NEED to learn how to handle these absurd scenarios if they ever hope to survive as heroes. Things can go wrong in an instant out there in the real world, if they cant learn to roll with the punches, and handle excessive scenarios like this, then why are they even trying to be heroes in the first place? This isnt the first time this has happened after all. Remember back in one of the earliest combat exercises when deku and uravity were against bakugo and speed boy? Bakugo was quite literally being murderous with his power, and all might let it go on despite how dangerous it was getting. Even with the midoriya and half and half fight they didnt get involved despite deku shattering his limbs inch by inch and powers going all over the place until the precise last second. They have to dance along that edge as teachers because they arent learning to be craftsmen, they are learning to deal with life and death situations for a living. They need to see who can cut it and who cant.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, if Shoto melting a room full of people didn't cause the teachers to interfere having this discussion (again) now seems pointless. It's clear they don't care whether the students live and the fewer survive, the fewer tests they have to grade

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I guess that answers one long standing question...
    I'm however not happy with the "Deku got lucky because he's the eigth in line" explanation. This is basically "he's powerful because he lucked out" to me. And now I'd really like to know what sensei didn't tell Toshinori. I mean, it's unlikely it has nothing to do with this so.. excluding the possibility she died early, why didn't she tell him? And if she did, why didn't he tell Deku? So he had bad luck because he was just too early?

I really like this show but damn can some parts upset me... But maybe we will get a better explanation.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Okay, if Shoto melting a room full of people didn't cause the teachers to interfere having this discussion (again) now seems pointless. It's clear they don't care whether the students live and the fewer survive, the fewer tests they have to grade

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I guess that answers one long standing question...
    I'm however not happy with the "Deku got lucky because he's the eigth in line" explanation. This is basically "he's powerful because he lucked out" to me. And now I'd really like to know what sensei didn't tell Toshinori. I mean, it's unlikely it has nothing to do with this so.. excluding the possibility she died early, why didn't she tell him? And if she did, why didn't he tell Deku? So he had bad luck because he was just too early?

I really like this show but damn can some parts upset me... But maybe we will get a better explanation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe the power needed some generations in order to reach that stage, and that's a fine explanation considering it's cumulative nature. And of course, it wouldn't make for much if the protagonist of the story wasn't the exactly generation that got to experience it, at least in my opinion. Can you imagine, we getting to end of this series, see Deku passing it for the next successor and then a foot note "... and all of a sudden his successor started manifesting the ancestors' quirks. The end."? That would be quite the bummer, I believe.

And all of that is without realizing that Midoria has yet to master his Full Cowl power. Let alone the other ones he's about to manifest, which is not something that's going to be instantaneous either, considering the mangaka's apparently predilection to make training arcs for him (and the rest of the characters). Expect some new training arcs incoming!
    Last edited by heronbpv; 2019-01-18 at 07:13 PM.
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

23. - Top - End - #983
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Some writing advice I don't remember the source of: "Is this the most interesting time in the main character's life? If not, then why aren't you writing about that instead?"

Tailored for this situation, it becomes: "Is this the most interesting time in the One for All quirk's existence? If not then why aren't you writing about that instead?"

This new stuff is happening conveniently just in time for Deku because otherwise it might make a better story to focus on whoever it did "conveniently" happen for. This type of coincidence should be expected in fiction in general, because the timing of when it happens and the choice of what time period the story tells about are related.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Hmpf... I guess I'm just not a fan of convenient coincidence. I know it's a staple in fiction but if you win / survive / power up / etc not because of something you actively did but because you just got lucky it bothers me.
    I guess you can argue its better than a bad explanation but.. I feel like there could have been a good explanation. Like if Toshinori hadn't been there, because it only works for quirk less people or something.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm, I dunno, remember what they are being trained for. They NEED to learn how to handle these absurd scenarios if they ever hope to survive as heroes. Things can go wrong in an instant out there in the real world, if they cant learn to roll with the punches, and handle excessive scenarios like this, then why are they even trying to be heroes in the first place? This isnt the first time this has happened after all. Remember back in one of the earliest combat exercises when deku and uravity were against bakugo and speed boy? Bakugo was quite literally being murderous with his power, and all might let it go on despite how dangerous it was getting. Even with the midoriya and half and half fight they didnt get involved despite deku shattering his limbs inch by inch and powers going all over the place until the precise last second. They have to dance along that edge as teachers because they arent learning to be craftsmen, they are learning to deal with life and death situations for a living. They need to see who can cut it and who cant.
    They did not stop it back then, because despite what it looked like, Bakugo still had surgical control over his blasts.
    And it was Midoria who shattered his own bones, something they had already seen him do before. So that was also under control.

This meanwhile is the opposite of control. Someone extremely powerful as a power he does not understand or control.
    And getting ½ the class killed in a training excersise does not show who cant cut it.
    The whole point of training is to have a controlled circumstance to test stuff in. And to prepare you for the real deal when your ready.

26. - Top - End - #986

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    They did not stop it back then, because despite what it looked like, Bakugo still had surgical control over his blasts.
    And it was Midoria who shattered his own bones, something they had already seen him do before. So that was also under control.

This meanwhile is the opposite of control. Someone extremely powerful as a power he does not understand or control.
    And getting ½ the class killed in a training excersise does not show who cant cut it.
    The whole point of training is to have a controlled circumstance to test stuff in. And to prepare you for the real deal when your ready.
    Bakugo may have had total control over his blasts but he was using that control to try to straight up murder deku. He was NOT holding back on his power and it was only deku being able to read him so well that allowed him to not take serious blast injuries. All Might was able to see this, he had chastised bakugo already for going overboard and saw that he was not holding back but he didnt cancel the exercise despite being tempted to do so. Because being a hero isnt a game. If they were playing hockey and bakugo started trying to cave in dekus skull with his stick, not even pretending to be doing anything else they would stop the game and boot his butt out of the stadium, but they are learning to deal with villains, natural disasters, and lord knows what else, they have to let things like this go on because if they keep stepping in, what are the heroes in training learning? The real world isnt going to have controlled circumstances, in this world you need to learn how to adapt and overcome when things go wrong or else people will be killed. The teachers have to make the judgement call on when they absolutely have to step in and when they need to let the students handle it. To go back to my hockey example, the refs could step in and stop it, or they could hang back and see if the players are able to restrain bakugo without anyone getting badly hurt. One teaches the self reliance they will need, the other teaches them they dont have to rely on themselves, someone else will step in and fix their problems for them. Which is a very very bad mindset for heroes to get into.

27. - Top - End - #987

Can't read the latest chapter yet because it's not out yet but I will put in my two cents on the Todoroki melt down thing.

We don't know that they didn't try to stop it. It's a big area they're in, and travel time is a thing. As well, all the cameras (with their microphones so they can do announcements to the students) got melted and destroyed. Can't very well order them to stop if your only voice line to the area has been cut off.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-01-19 at 08:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the thing about Bakugo, Shouting " Murder, and Kill" , ect are just catchphrases for him. He's never once in the entire series actually used his powers with murderous intent. He's never injured anyone, even a villain to any serious degree. Bakugo shouts and screams, but he's actually never done serious harm.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-01-19 at 08:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

I said I wouldn't get into the "nobody's stopping this" debate again but just to address the "they need to train for real fights" argument... no military I'm aware of does mock battles with real ammo. Most firefighting drills don't require them to set buildings on fire. Self defence classes usually don't end with one party seriously injured. I know foction gets more leeway, especially if you have magic healing, and you need some flashy action, but a reminder to not kill or maim or burn the other students to ash would be nice after people almost do it.

Also, new vigilantes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stop dissing beards. Beards are cool. Keep the beard.
    Also, still, Choo-Choo mother-effer. This guy is awesome, I don't care what you think.
    And former punks are cute now because... I'm not sure. Either they got beaten sense into them or the power of... something.

But really, you're allowed to shoot dangerous criminals in Japan if you're the police, right?
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Bakugo may have had total control over his blasts but he was using that control to try to straight up murder deku. He was NOT holding back on his power and it was only deku being able to read him so well that allowed him to not take serious blast injuries. All Might was able to see this, he had chastised bakugo already for going overboard and saw that he was not holding back but he didnt cancel the exercise despite being tempted to do so. Because being a hero isnt a game. If they were playing hockey and bakugo started trying to cave in dekus skull with his stick, not even pretending to be doing anything else they would stop the game and boot his butt out of the stadium, but they are learning to deal with villains, natural disasters, and lord knows what else, they have to let things like this go on because if they keep stepping in, what are the heroes in training learning? The real world isnt going to have controlled circumstances, in this world you need to learn how to adapt and overcome when things go wrong or else people will be killed. The teachers have to make the judgement call on when they absolutely have to step in and when they need to let the students handle it. To go back to my hockey example, the refs could step in and stop it, or they could hang back and see if the players are able to restrain bakugo without anyone getting badly hurt. One teaches the self reliance they will need, the other teaches them they dont have to rely on themselves, someone else will step in and fix their problems for them. Which is a very very bad mindset for heroes to get into.
    No.. sorry... but that idea is off the field.
    We are not training adult soldiers aimed for warzones like that.
    These are not soldiers. And they are not adults either.

As for the battle between Midoria and Baukugo. All Might repeatedly said he should have stopped it back then.
    And when Deku were hit directly with the last shot, we saw that it was not leathal force behind the blasts. It did not even look like it broke anything.