New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    That's assuming Superman or Wonderwoman's abilities wouldn't be treated as quirks, because Superman has the habit of tanking his opponent's abilities to try to get them to give up. Can you imagine how delighted AfO would be with Superman's 'quirk'?

...Well...Until he wore it out anyway and Superman's abilities are gone forever.
    Honestly Superman's power is SUPER easy to turn into a quirk. He's Solar Man, he absorbs sunlight and turns it into raw super power. Wonder Woman is a bit more...dicey. She'd be more of a tech based hero who's quirk is probably just generic "has thighs that shatter stones" style strength.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Honestly Superman's power is SUPER easy to turn into a quirk. He's Solar Man, he absorbs sunlight and turns it into raw super power. Wonder Woman is a bit more...dicey. She'd be more of a tech based hero who's quirk is probably just generic "has thighs that shatter stones" style strength.
    People seem to forget that Superman simply has a LOT of powers. He has super-vision, hearing and other senses (including X-ray vision), heat vision, super breath that may or may not freeze things, can jump, can fly, is many-times speed of light fast, is virtually invulnerable, super strong, can hold his breath for a really long time, can survive space. He has other powers in some older incarnations. He also probably has a healing factor, oh and a recent comic shows him outlasting the Earth, so he is apparently ageless as well (potentially virtually immortal).

"Solar Man" doesn't explain all these different powers in any logical fashion, which is required for the world of MHA if not in DC. Nor does Kryptonite make sense.

Wonder Woman also has multiple powers. All her attributes are enhanced to divine levels where she is nearly on par with superman, and she can fly. Also Wonder Woman is immune to many forms of magic and telepathy.

WW has a lot of equipment that is magic. The powers of some of WW equipment goes to truly cosmic levels of power (just like her) and recall, the bracelets actually act to suppress her true strength!

Both the Characters, and their stuff (Superman toys are beyond compare, he just doesn't need them often) are far beyond MHA levels of powers, and of a far greater variety than a quirk can display. Not to mention there is significance to the fact that Wonder Woman powers are divine and magical that would totally get lost in translation.

Any attempt at an expy character would pale in comparison to the original, much like the Marvel Superman knock-offs. They would be missing lots of the powers and come nowhere near these character's ability levels.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-07-11 at 11:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    People seem to forget that Superman simply has a LOT of powers. He has super-vision, hearing and other senses (including X-ray vision), heat vision, super breath that may or may not freeze things, can jump, can fly, is many-times speed of light fast, is virtually invulnerable, super strong, can hold his breath for a really long time, can survive space. He has other powers in some older incarnations. He also probably has a healing factor, oh and a recent comic shows him outlasting the Earth, so he is apparently ageless as well (potentially virtually immortal).

"Solar Man" doesn't explain all these different powers in any logical fashion, which is required for the world of MHA if not in DC. Nor does Kryptonite make sense.

Wonder Woman also has multiple powers. All her attributes are enhanced to divine levels where she is nearly on par with superman, and she can fly. Also Wonder Woman is immune to many forms of magic and telepathy.

WW has a lot of equipment that is magic. The powers of some of WW equipment goes to truly cosmic levels of power (just like her) and recall, the bracelets actually act to suppress her true strength!

Both the Characters, and their stuff (Superman toys are beyond compare, he just doesn't need them often) are far beyond MHA levels of powers, and of a far greater variety than a quirk can display. Not to mention there is significance to the fact that Wonder Woman powers are divine and magical that would totally get lost in translation.

Any attempt at an expy character would pale in comparison to the original, much like the Marvel Superman knock-offs. They would be missing lots of the powers and come nowhere near these character's ability levels.
    Vigilantes has Celebrity Man who has basically all of those powers. What I'm saying is that Superman would call himself Solar Man, because his solar absorbing power would give him ALL of his classic abilities, not just super strength. I think this is valid. He turns solar radiation into X Ray's, laser beams, and strength boosts. Etc etc.

I always forget Wonder Woman has more powers than just raw super strength. She'd proabably have a basic booster quirk then. I still think having her as a tech hero with some minor quirk helping it out works best for her character though, since what is tech but just mundane magic?

I mean you're right, they would pale in comparison. That doesn't seem like a negative?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Vigilantes has Celebrity Man who has basically all of those powers. What I'm saying is that Superman would call himself Solar Man, because his solar absorbing power would give him ALL of his classic abilities, not just super strength. I think this is valid. He turns solar radiation into X Ray's, laser beams, and strength boosts. Etc etc.
    Oh, this is reminding me of a superhero setting I once made called Overkill Comics. had a character named Solar Man, was a Superman expy yes. But was completely selfish, like he'd save the world then he'd turn around and say all of society owes him for punching a meteor away and say that he should get things for free because of it, that he should get some benefit out of doing this. of course he wasn't the main hero, just a possible interpretation to contrast other heroes for them to interact with as "what if Superman WAS selfish? like still saved the world and whatnot, but was selfish about it after wards?"

MHA is honestly probably a better setting more logical setting than the one I made. but then again Overkill Comics was more about exploring what would happen to Earth if there were superheroes, mad scientists alien invasions and people had to fight them off- Earth had isolated itself from the rest of the galaxy with an isolationist space military trying to keep alien refugees from coming in, mad scientists drew from strange energy called the Madness Force and were all locked into institutions cross between insanity asylums and think tanks to make things for the governments, third world countries being ruled by supers who took over in coups, things like that. MHA is more of an X-Men thing focusing entirely on X-Men with none of the other things, so Overkill Comics was a more general setting while MHA is more focused.

and darn it, now I realize Bakugo does a superhero concept I had in that setting as well: Explosion Man. Except, Explosion Man isn't like Bakugo at all, he is happy and jokey like the Flash and can do things like stop the explosions in guns from happening to make himself safe from bullets as well as explode. and Bakugo is basically the 90's anti-hero version of that. like think Bakugo, but this campy silver age type of hero who gained his powers from being a stunt man in a michael bay film and was too close to an explosion and thus gained powers over ALL explosions.

now I have mixed feelings about my own setting, because I thought I was so smart when I made it. and here is MHA doing heroes better by pretty much going in many ways the opposite directions I did.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably a bit more complicated than that...the closest MHA equivalent to all of the abilities that Superman has is..well...All for One actually. Or the Nomu who can have multiple Quirks at the same time.

The primary difference being that Superman's abilities would all fall under a single banner and would be one single, supremely powerful quirk which is why I imagine All for One salivating at the prospect of such a Quirk existing up until the point he over uses it and loses access to the 'Superman' quirk.

I always forget Wonder Woman has more powers than just raw super strength. She'd proabably have a basic booster quirk then. I still think having her as a tech hero with some minor quirk helping it out works best for her character though, since what is tech but just mundane magic?

I mean you're right, they would pale in comparison. That doesn't seem like a negative?
    Here's an easy short hand for you, among the DC Big Three, Batman beats Superman, Superman beats Wonder Woman, and Wonder Woman beats Batman...y'know...ignoring a lot of actual nuisance when it comes to that matter and the fact each of them has abilities and ways to battle the other...you know...except for Batman against Wonder Woman. Whenever Batman finds out Wonder Woman has gone rogue or wants to pick a fight with him the result is to typically crap his Bat-pants followed by desperately calling Clark and seeing if he's busy before omigawdshefoundmehelp! Cause Wonder Woman is another type of hero that's basically a flying brick like Supes with a whole suite of abilities and artifacts to help her out but without an exploitable weakness like Supes.

And I disagree, to an extent...my favorite part about the DC heroes would partially fall by the way side if they're abilities were neutered down and Wonder Woman is a fascinating character with just a bit of research into her from her roots and the beliefs of her creator to her modern incarnations.

But not going to lie, I'd kill to see a Wonder Woman expy in MHA much like they have a Superman one in All Might but I'd also be peeved if it wasn't done right.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

He only has flight, super strenght and toughness so far. He is missing a lot of other powers like just for start super speed or heat vision.

I would not say its either directly negative or directly positive. Those heroes simply exist on a completely different scale.
    In some way it does make the story a lot more believeable. At least to me.
    If the villain can be brought down by a swat team. Then it kinda removes the purpose of needing a hero to deal with the issue.

The primary difference being that Superman's abilities would all fall under a single banner and would be one single, supremely powerful quirk which is why I imagine All for One salivating at the prospect of such a Quirk existing up until the point he over uses it and loses access to the 'Superman' quirk.
    Except it assumes him ever getting his hands on it. All for One did not steal One For All when he had his titanic clash with All Might, the one that left him crippled. I dont think its something he can do in combat.
    And superman has fought and defeated enemies that can steal power just by a touch, like parasite.

Batman beats Superman, Superman beats Wonder Woman, and Wonder Woman beats Batman
    I honestly think its more Idiot ball beats Superman to be honest. Each time he clashed with Batman he is clutching one so massive only a kryptonian could lift it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I honestly think its more Idiot ball beats Superman to be honest. Each time he clashed with Batman he is clutching one so massive only a kryptonian could lift it.
    So depending on the writer and the situation more often then not if Batman wins that fight it was because Superman was holding back, sometimes even consciously. He could just drop re-bar from orbit until Batman and everything within a mile of his was paste if he really wanted to. But at the end of the day he is a decent person in ways that Bruce just isn't.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    So depending on the writer and the situation more often then not if Batman wins that fight it was because Superman was holding back, sometimes even consciously. He could just drop re-bar from orbit until Batman and everything within a mile of his was paste if he really wanted to. But at the end of the day he is a decent person in ways that Bruce just isn't.
    Or move so fast that by the time batmans kryptonite ring or magical trap or whatever starts to effect him, batman is already in 13 different states. Only some of which are geographical, the rest being solid liquid gas and plasma. Seriously, super speed is the most broken super power in existence when it comes to fights. Its so broken that unless he is traveling it seems most comics tend to pretend superman doesnt really have that ability beyond mach speed level feats at best. Flash gets away with it because he generally doesnt have the ability to punch solar systems into other solar systems, so him moving ultra fast isnt as instantly unbalanced in most cases.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah.. thats what i mean. When your able to operate at a speed level where eveyone normal seems to be moving in slow motion, then the only way you lose is if you want to lose, or if you fight someone able to react to your movement.
    At time i think its a problem that the writers made Superman that fast. At least when they then forget about it ½ the time.
    Of course, the majority of those times are when bad writers want pit him against Batman

I have also seen it done well in one of the first comics after.. i think it was final crisis.
    Batman placed a trigger on himself that would react to super dense tissue like supermans. It gave him enough of a pause to explain that it would trigger a bomb upon a innocent person.
    That in turn bough him enough time to explain why he wasnt a criminal despite being wanted by the police. And why his style was needed for Gotham.
    At the end he revealed the bomb was placed on himself. Because he suspect Superman could spot a lie.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

I mean to say that Superman is more than just a flying brick. He has all these powers and abilities and makes great use of them. Also the sheer scale of his powers are incredible.

It’s pretty inaccurate to look at such a character and say its a Superman expy.

First of al, this is because Superman is probably the most imitated character of all time. I mean he was the first, and he’s the reason why all the early heroes were walking around with secret identities, wear costumes, and fight crime. In some sense, every superhero is an imitation.

Then there’s plenty of flying bricks, but unless that flying brick has the other characteristics they are not recognizable as Superman as opposed to one of the dozens upon dozens of flying bricks:

Here’s a list

Alpha Centurion (DC)
    Alpha One ("The Mighty")
    Apollo (DC/Wildstorm)
    Astonishman (Dark Horse's "The End League")
    Atlas (father of Ron, one of the super-powered schoolkids in "P.S. 238")
    Atoman (Alan Moore's "Top Ten")
    Atomicus ("Kurt Busiek's Astro City")
    Bananaman
    Blue Marvel (Marvel)
    The Caped Wonder (Clark Oppenheimer, a supporting character in "The Tick" comic books)
    Captain Dynamo (father of several characters in Jay Faerber's "Dynamo 5")
    Captain Everything (One of the supporting characters in Jim Valentino's "normalman" series back in the 1980s)
    Captain Marvel (the original one from Fawcett)
    Captain Omnipotent (Kuli-Gan, the Last Son of Crypto; he appears in the "Dr. Blink, Superhero Shrink" comics written by John Kovalic)
    Captain Paragon (AC Comics)
    Captain Power (Marvel villain who fought Spider-Man)
    The Champion ("Power Factor")
    The Crusader ("Love and Capes")
    David Brinkley ("Superfolks")
    Gladiator (Marvel's Imperial Guard)
    Geezer ( parody from DC comics - superman v1 #25)
    The High (DC/Wildstorm)
    The Homelander (DC/Wildstorm's "The Boys")
    Hyper-Man (Chester King, a Superman-lookalike who was a famous superhero on the planet Oceania in the Silver Age DC Earth-1 universe)
    Hyperion (Marvel's Squadron Supreme)
    Icon (Milestone)
    Legacy (in the eponymous comic book from Majestic back in the 1990s)
    Magna-Man (star of the three-part miniseries "Magna-Man: The Last Superhero" from Comics Interview)
    Marvel Man (Ken Clark, a Superman-lookalike on the world of Terra in Silver Age DC Earth-1 continuity)
    Marvelman/Miracleman ( Marvel Comics)
    Master Man (Fawcett)
    Mighty Man (Image; the Savage Dragon continuity)
    Mr. Excellent (Paul Jenkins's "Sidekick" mini; this Superman knockoff was dumb as dirt)
    Mr. Majestic (DC/Wildstorm)
    Mr. Might (Silver Age DC -- he was one of the parents of Awkwardman of the Inferior Five)
    Mon-El (DC)
    Omni-Man (Robert Kirkman's "Invincible")
    Omniman (comics character Ethan Crane, a ka Supreme, worked on in Alan Moore's "Supreme")
    The Plutonian (Mark Waid's "Irredeemable")
    The Protector (from Majestic's "Legacy" series)
    Prime (Ultraverse)
    Samaritan ("Kurt Busiek's Astro City")
    Sentry (Marvel's Robert Reynolds)
    Son Goku (Dragon Ball Z)
    Stupor Duck (Daffy Duck in one cartoon)
    Sun God (Recently debuted as the Superman-analog on a previously unknown parallel Earth within the Marvel multiverse)
    Super Bugs
    Super Goof (Disney's Goofy in a comic book series)
    Super Grover
    Super-Squirrel (DC's Superman knockoff on Earth-C-Minus, home of the Just'a Lotta Animals team)
    Superior
    Supreme (Rob Liefeld's character; various publishing companies)
    True-Man aka The Maximortal (Rick Veitch's King Hell Heroica stuff)
    Ultiman ("Big Bang")
    Ultraa (DC)
    Underdog
    Victor ("Hero Alliance")
    Virtue (Marvel's Ethan Edwards)
    Wonder Man (Fox)

Yeah.. thats what i mean. When your able to operate at a speed level where eveyone normal seems to be moving in slow motion, then the only way you lose is if you want to lose, or if you fight someone able to react to your movement.
    Superspeed alone when taken to the extreme (and Superman does that) is really truly OP. Barry alone should be able to use it to fight off just about any threat (super strong and durable...enough speed will let you get through that!)

DC really treats it inconsistently. If these heroes were that fast all the time and able to use it as a reflex (as they sometimes do) then they really truly cannot be threatened by anything slower than them.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

The fun fight is over and Endeavor survived. Until now. And now the League shows its face. I'm not sure how this will end, but I guess there must be some heroes on their way.... Let's wait.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    There's this theory floating around that Dabi is related to Endeavor somehow, maybe even one of his "failed" children. By having Dabi and Endeavor confront each other on-page, we might finally get some answers.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Except it assumes him ever getting his hands on it. All for One did not steal One For All when he had his titanic clash with All Might, the one that left him crippled. I dont think its something he can do in combat.
    And superman has fought and defeated enemies that can steal power just by a touch, like parasite.
    That is because he can't steal One For All specifically. I forget where its said but a quirk of the original OfA's 'power pass on quirk' keeps it from being stolen as well. Its not that All for One didn't want One for All back..its that he can't take it. As for if its something he can do in combat..that we don't know. He can forcibly activate the quirks of others and the brief conversation to and around Bakugo implies that the League is going to steal Bakugo's quirk before they run since Bakugo couldn't be swayed which would imply its a rather quick process.

And a big difference between Parasite and All for One is that with Parasite, for one, the power comes back eventually. And he doesn't take it all in one go. So if Superman does get drained, even if its completely, he can take shelter for awhile and then come back for another go at it and Parasite and him are more evenly matched. If All for One were to take Superman's powers, that's it. They are gone, as far as we are aware, forever.

Well there's generally two ways I've seen Batman defeat Superman.

The first and 'bad' way is Batman is more akin to Bat-god and Superman has an Idiot Ball included in his combo platter of super powers so that Batman can beat Superman down in a fist fight or something equally silly. This is always a silly/stupid way of doing that.

The second and way more reasonable way I've seen is that Batman basically survives Superman until one of two things happen which Batman has set in motion. He either figures out how to negate whatever type of influence has been exerted over Supes and makes it so Superman and himself don't actually need to fight. Or, assuming such isn't relevant or possible, he uses his Bat-Address Book to assemble a team of Leaguers (usually including Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel) to beat up Superman for him which is a good way to let Batman punch above his weight class, let him be the strategist and organizer.

There might be other ways people have written Bats to beat Supes, but I really haven't heard of them and I have a clear preference for which one I enjoy when that trope does come up. Cause the idea of Batman being able to take Superman in a fight, even by exploiting Kryptonite and such is laughable.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Cause the idea of Batman being able to take Superman in a fight, even by exploiting Kryptonite and such is laughable.
    Except he and a bunch of other normals (ever hear of Lex Luthor) have done so, regularly even. Exploiting Kryptonite or another weakness (Red Sunlight, Magic) to take Superman out.

I suppose you could argue, given all Superman’s ability (someone mentioned he can move like everything in the worlds in slow motion...which underplays his speed and reaction time severely) he really shouldn’t be threatened even by kryptonite (especially after all the times he just shrugs it off). Yet it’s very inconsistent how Superman reacts to threats, he can be taken by surprise and he can lose all his powers to Kryptonite. It happens even in battle.

Injustice isn’t exactly canon, nor is Batman v. Superman but I’m amazed you “haven’t seen” Batman use Kryptonite to take on Superman when these two uber popular examples have come out only recently.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Except he and a bunch of other normals (ever hear of Lex Luthor) have done so, regularly even. Exploiting Kryptonite or another weakness (Red Sunlight, Magic) to take Superman out.

I suppose you could argue, given all Superman’s ability (someone mentioned he can move like everything in the worlds in slow motion...which underplays his speed and reaction time severely) he really shouldn’t be threatened even by kryptonite (especially after all the times he just shrugs it off). Yet it’s very inconsistent how Superman reacts to threats, he can be taken by surprise and he can lose all his powers to Kryptonite. It happens even in battle.

Injustice isn’t exactly canon, nor is Batman v. Superman but I’m amazed you “haven’t seen” Batman use Kryptonite to take on Superman when these two uber popular examples have come out only recently.
    Just because it happens, doesn't mean it should happen.

And Lex Luthor fails at killing Superman alllllll the time despite using supertech, despite using Kryptonite, and I'm pretty sure he's used magic to. The times Luthor wins are pretty rare and are noted for that exact reason. Heck, Luthor used Red Sunlight to deprive a Superman clone of his powers so he could physically discipline him when he didn't know what Luthor wanted.

Want to guess what happened when the clone stopped putting up with that bull crap? He sealed Lex in the room with the red sunlight and chucked it out of the building.

As for Kryptonite, its always been a process of draining his strength and killing him. How well do you think Batman can stand up to a weakened Superman when the baseline is still Superman?

So yeah...I even saw the Injustice example (having played the game) and its not nearly as simple as 'Batman had Kryptonite and could suddenly beat up Superman'. They had to get actual Superman to beat up Injustice Superman. Which...well works. Its not demi-powered Batman doing the beating, its fetching an equally large stick.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Just because it happens, doesn't mean it should happen.

So yeah...I even saw the Injustice example (having played the game) and its not nearly as simple as 'Batman had Kryptonite and could suddenly beat up Superman'. They had to get actual Superman to beat up Injustice Superman. Which...well works. Its not demi-powered Batman doing the beating, its fetching an equally large stick.
    I was thinking, "Injustice 2" where Batman totally takes on Superman one-on-one using red solar grenades to weaken Superman to the point that the versus match is supposed to be realistic.

Also, isn't it strange you're arguing powers are everything in a thread about MHA?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking, "Injustice 2" where Batman totally takes on Superman one-on-one using red solar grenades to weaken Superman to the point that the versus match is supposed to be realistic.

Also, isn't it strange you're arguing powers are everything in a thread about MHA?
    Sir, that is an unfair comparison. DC wrote themselves into a corner where they want to say that humans are totally awesome while writing about non-human characters like Superman who go around punching gods. they screwed up their message long ago, and anything else is just a clumsy attempt at trying to make something true that never will be to anyone who thinks for more than two seconds.

MHA designed itself from the outset to keep itself at very human levels of power for a vast, vast majority of the time, and gives everyone exploitable weaknesses from the start. Comparing DC to MHA is like comparing a sprawling glitchy machine made of various patched together parts that barely works because people have been adding and modifying it for years over and over that no one is quite sure how it works anymore, to an iPhone.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Comparing DC to MHA is like comparing a sprawling glitchy machine made of various patched together parts that barely works because people have been adding and modifying it for years over and over that no one is quite sure how it works anymore, to an iPhone.
    But that comparison is apt.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

So let me get this straight...DC is a royal mess of inconsistent power scaling and other contradictory characterization for everyone...and because of this, my contention that Batman can possibly take on Superman through kryptonite is somehow wrong...

Instead, I think you are just proving my point.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

So let me get this straight...DC is a royal mess of inconsistent power scaling and other contradictory characterization for everyone...and because of this, my contention that Batman can possibly take on Superman through kryptonite is somehow wrong...

No.

It means that "proving" anything is beyond the power of anyone. because if you pull one lever or the great machine you don't actually know what result you'll get. you might get the result you want, you might get the one of the other ten thousand things that can happen. its not clear how anyone stacks up against anyone, therefore there is no way to clearly and easily determine where their power is in relation to one another and what effect they will have.

its not user friendly. the only way to prove anything is with consistency and clear rules. no clear consistency or rules, no proof of anything. the authors aren't play fair with you giving you a clear board where you can determine whether something can happen or not, because its all face down wild cards that they can flip up whenever they want in service to the story they want. you can't play a card with nothing but wild cards, because all you get is Random Number God.

arguing that lack of clarity and being a big mess proves your point is like saying you can see the shape of a pyramid even though all the garbage is on top of it because you can interpret some of the trash looking they formed one from a certain point of view when the real pyramid is under the trash and can only be seen when its all cleared away.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, not really...cause my point is that Batman shouldn't be able to at all..and in most well written stories for DC he doesn't. But because DC is inconsistent, because DC has had many many different powers, because it has flat-out just had writers that prefer one hero over another, its because of all those reasons and more that you have situations where Batman is able to fisticuff the Man of Steel and win. And that is silly. Not the fact it has happened, but the fact it has been written that way in the first place if that makes sense.

...No?

Don't get me wrong, its Deku's heart and resolve that makes him hero that he is and so on and so forth for other characters, but if they didn't have powers than most of them would have died by this point in the story. Deku probably would have died if his act of stupid heroism hadn't happened to inspire an All Might that was still in the area and part of the reason I like MHA is because it usually comes up with good, solid reasons and tactics for exploiting the weaknesses an enemy's power has and sometimes those very same powers make them an insurmountable obstacle in a given situation.

All the determination in the world didn't help Phase-boy against Overhaul once his powers were gone, the story flat out acknowledges that Phase-boy (Lemillion?) was just holding out and was on the urge of dying before back-up showed up.

Deku couldn't be or become the greatest hero the world has ever seen if he didn't inherit One for All from All Might.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, not really...cause my point is that Batman shouldn't be able to at all..and in most well written stories for DC he doesn't. But because DC is inconsistent, because DC has had many many different powers, because it has flat-out just had writers that prefer one hero over another, its because of all those reasons and more that you have situations where Batman is able to fisticuff the Man of Steel and win. And that is silly. Not the fact it has happened, but the fact it has been written that way in the first place if that makes sense.
    The bit here is certainly a massive problem for story consistency. Sometimes a writer is a very blatant Batman Fanboy. But gets allowed to make a story all the same. And then we get trash like Batman fighting and winning against the JL

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Isn't Lex Luthor, Superman's most famous arch-nemesis, a billionaire genius with no powers? At least Batman has martial arts.

Back on topic of the thread thinking about Batman does remind me that I had originally thought that was the route the show was going to take Deku in. To be in honest I am still a little annoyed that you can't be a quirkless hero in this world given some of the powers we have seen (albeit from lesser heroes or people that just students) don't loan that well to fighting crime. Heck Deku won the race at the sports festival without even using One for All. I know he said he got lucky, but how many other students just passed up on that or a similar hunk of metal?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-07-16 at 05:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Banned

The bit here is certainly a massive problem for story consistency. Sometimes a writer is a very blatant Batman Fanboy. But gets allowed to make a story all the same. And then we get trash like Batman fighting and winning against the JL
    Alternatively we get dozens of arguments like these every time someone brings Batman up because people aren't willing to accept the character as being as powerful/smart as he's regularly written in favor of their opinion of "how Batman should be". Yeah, he's not a realistic character. It's a comic book. You're not complaining about the invisible planes or the solar powered flight, but the idea that a guy can be prepared ahead of time for a fight against people he's fought dozens of times before is "unbelievable".

I'm sure lots of people prefer the interpretation of Batman as a street level hero with regular human abilities. Sure, that character would have no chance against someone like Flash or Wonderwoman. That's not Batman's character though, and it hasn't been for decades.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-07-16 at 05:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Alternatively we get dozens of arguments like these every time someone brings Batman up because people aren't willing to accept the character as being as powerful/smart as he's regularly written in favor of their opinion of "how Batman should be". Yeah, he's not a realistic character. It's a comic book. You're not complaining about the invisible planes or the solar powered flight, but the idea that a guy can be prepared ahead of time for a fight against people he's fought dozens of times before is "unbelievable".

I'm sure lots of people prefer the interpretation of Batman as a street level hero with regular human abilities. Sure, that character would have no chance against someone like Flash or Wonderwoman. That's not Batman's character though, and it hasn't been for decades.
    You mean accept that hes a Mary Sue? Yeah, not gonna do that. theres being good, and then there is warping the story around you beyond all recognition. If hes that well-loved, he deserves better than being written so badly.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2018-07-16 at 07:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, im not complaining about solar power, or a divine heritage. I am when traits assosiated with those, and regularly demonstrated, are suddenly forgotten though. Especially when its done to make another character look good.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Not to derail the discussion but Vigilantes...
    Spoiler
    Show

Now has more detectiving and Fatgum fighting crab worker robots a la Aliens. Huzzah?
    Also, I wonder if detetive girl is going to be important long term.

Also also, since I didn't comment last time... Aizawa sure is riendly with a pair of serious criminals. The eff?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Not to derail the discussion but Vigilantes...
    Spoiler
    Show

Now has more detectiving and Fatgum fighting crab worker robots a la Aliens. Huzzah?
    Also, I wonder if detetive girl is going to be important long term.

Also also, since I didn't comment last time... Aizawa sure is riendly with a pair of serious criminals. The eff?
    I mean Eraserhead IS Batman, that's kind of his thing. Let the small fry go, since you can remove them whenever, and use them to get the big boys.

Anyway finally read this new chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Endeavor really is trying to be better. His thinking about High-Grade as being a future him, a version of himself he hates, is REALLY good. He's trying, he really is.

And now that Dabi is here everything's going to fail. Because Dabi's definitely his son and he's gonna tell Endeavor's dirty laundry to the world and kill his attempt at becoming the symbol of peace.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Isn't Lex Luthor, Superman's most famous arch-nemesis, a billionaire genius with no powers? At least Batman has martial arts.

Back on topic of the thread thinking about Batman does remind me that I had originally thought that was the route the show was going to take Deku in. To be in honest I am still a little annoyed that you can't be a quirkless hero in this world given some of the powers we have seen (albeit from lesser heroes or people that just students) don't loan that well to fighting crime. Heck Deku won the race at the sports festival without even using One for All. I know he said he got lucky, but how many other students just passed up on that or a similar hunk of metal?
    Lex Luthor actually has often worn some potent power-armor is extremely strong and skilled in martial arts, has used super hypnosis and other things bordering on magic (if he doesn't, you know, use magic). However, his most common thing is to using tech that puts nearly every mad scientist out there to shame. He has cloned Superman, turned the sun into a red sun, and basically created a disease for just about anything (and a cure as well). Batman's gadgets have nothing on Luthor's. Batman's gadgets are usually grounded in something approaching the realm of possibility, Luthor's stuff is the stuff of science fiction tales. Not the space or action type tales either (although he's great with that stuff to), no his invention are the stuff of "and then this invention came and everything was @#*&$" type story.

However, yes, I was getting at the fact that we see Deku winning events without even using his powers, battles going on where the powers are mere supplements. There's also a lot of sci-fi gadgetry out there, but oddly there doesn't seem to be a lot of gadget-driven heroes.

The idea that you need a quirk to be a hero look more like an unchallenged myth than a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post

I think there is a distinction here. If you want to say that Batman "should" have no chance against people with powers on the DC scale, if the other characters used their powers optimally, that goes without saying. That's just not how the DC universe works.

If that's all you want to say fine. However, claiming that Batman is a street level hero, that writers who write him differently don't understand the character, and that stories that have Batman doing otherwise are somehow aberrations is beyond ignorance. You might as well say Superman should be a street-level hero, because that's how he was written once upon a time (occasionally someone has posted it but I think they're being sarcastic).

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

I think there is a distinction here. If you want to say that Batman "should" have no chance against people with powers on the DC scale, if the other characters used their powers optimally, that goes without saying. That's just not how the DC universe works.

If that's all you want to say fine. However, claiming that Batman is a street level hero, that writers who write him differently don't understand the character, and that stories that have Batman doing otherwise are somehow aberrations is beyond ignorance. You might as well say Superman should be a street-level hero, because that's how he was written once upon a time (occasionally someone has posted it but I think they're being sarcastic).
    Thats not an honest argument. By that reasoning, almost no hero from marvel or DC these days are Street level.

There is however some superheroes that are clearly better suited to being above street level and others that aren't. Superman is believably world and cosmic level. Batman on the other stretches suspension of disbelief even when world class and breaks it when cosmic.