New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I feel like this is probably the last time they'll use Monoma in this way, probably.

Also god you laugh but like 90% of what you just said is how it would actually go if this was written by HunterxHunter's creator.
    Eh, I like Monoma well enough. I mean, as an annoying side character. There are plenty of nice people in class B so it's okay if there is a jerk among them.
    I'm still much more troubled by Mineta being the one joke character he is.

Ugh, HxH, that OTHER story I need to read at some point...
    This makes me wonder how OP OfA would be if it allowed passing down knowledge, too...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Well, guess I'll double post...

Spoiler
    Show

So there was a bit more to Midoriya getting kicked out. I expected them to give him more time for Eri but... I guess his works, too.

We get a bit more training which is nice and talk about enhancements. I wonder a bit about Toshinori's comment regarding heroes relying too much on their equipment... I can only think of... er... Big Brother guy... who even uses a decent amount of equipment.
    Also, I was surprised Deku didn't know about Armored AM but a few pages later, sure enough, he had the reaction I expected

Also: It seems they stick with Lovelover? And... those two are weird and a bit creepy but also kind of adorable. I hope this doesn't end too badly for them.
    "What's done is done."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, guess I'll double post...

Spoiler
    Show

So there was a bit more to Midoriya getting kicked out. I expected them to give him more time for Eri but... I guess his works, too.

We get a bit more training which is nice and talk about enhancements. I wonder a bit about Toshinori's comment regarding heroes relying too much on their equipment... I can only think of... er... Big Brother guy... who even uses a decent amount of equipment.
    Also, I was surprised Deku didn't know about Armored AM but a few pages later, sure enough, he had the reaction I expected

Also: It seems they stick with Lovelover? And... those two are weird and a bit creepy but also kind of adorable. I hope this doesn't end too badly for them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad they explained more clearly why he's out of the main dance group.

Yeah, relying too much on equipment is rough. This was a fun conversation, especially because All Might finally vocalized the point that he's just not suited to teaching this, because he was just naturally talented at it. Also GOD yes I love that response to Armoured Might not being a thing Deku knew.

The fan scans are garbage and wrong on multiple things, her name is La Brava. Also yes, I hope she's an adult and just looks small because otherwise this is creepy as ****. But it does seem at least like Gentle is...well, gentle, and not doing anything bad with her, while still respecting her admiration for him. This is a cute exchange and I hope nothing bad happens to them either. Also he name drops the same tea Momo does...wonder if that'll connect with anything.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure but I feel like she is meant to be an adult. While we have only seen Healing Girl as a woman with very small stature (and she falls into the "old Japanese lady" rule) I think it's very possible to apply to other people, too.
    But I also don't really have a problem if she is not.. I mean, it's clear this is not a romantic relationship. She admires him, which plenty young girls do to older men. I guess the apparent idea that they might share an apartment is weird.. If that's the case. But no, I think she's old enough.
    Also, 90% sure that tea will be somehow relevant, just not sure how.

Sidenote : it seems weird to me that this world (or Japan?) up until the league apparently had no real super villains. At least that's the impression I got so far (except AfO)
    "What's done is done."

5. - Top - End - #65

I'm not sure but I feel like she is meant to be an adult. While we have only seen Healing Girl as a woman with very small stature (and she falls into the "old Japanese lady" rule) I think it's very possible to apply to other people, too.
    But I also don't really have a problem if she is not.. I mean, it's clear this is not a romantic relationship. She admires him, which plenty young girls do to older men. I guess the apparent idea that they might share an apartment is weird.. If that's the case. But no, I think she's old enough.
    Also, 90% sure that tea will be somehow relevant, just not sure how.

Sidenote : it seems weird to me that this world (or Japan?) up until the league apparently had no real super villains. At least that's the impression I got so far (except AfO)
    A couple of chapters ago they actually name dropped a couple. I forget their names but one was like, the leader of the Meta-human Liberation Front. Which is to say he was a psychotic who wanted to exterminate all non-quirk havers.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there might have been? they have just very likely been completely overshadowed by AfO. The same way everyone knows who the first man on the moon was. But noone else remembers the second.

I forget their names but one was like, the leader of the Meta-human Liberation Front. Which is to say he was a psychotic who wanted to exterminate all non-quirk havers.
    No, it is to say that he is the leader of the Meta-human Liberation Front. Everything else is speculation, and really should be marked as such. And his name was Destro.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well, there might have been? they have just very likely been completely overshadowed by AfO. The same way everyone knows who the first man on the moon was. But noone else remembers the second.

No, it is to say that he is the leader of the Meta-human Liberation Front. Everything else is speculation, and really should be marked as such. And his name was Destro.
    If he's a villain and he's part of a "Meta-human Liberation Front" then I feel it's a safe speculation to say he's a Magneto type figure who might have some good points but is very much a man who store into the abyss, so to speak.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would recognise the name.

I'd also like to mention that Stain was fairly well known.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would recognise the name.

I'd also like to mention that Stain was fairly well known.
    It's so weird for a scientist to have a well-known nickname..

Yes, but Stain a) has been a very recent thing and b) is not that much of a super villain. I feel like there would be far more well known people who used their powers for selfish or misguided reasons.. But either we just don't hear about them, but that seems unlikely if they are active, or the heroes do a good job of making it a poor choice of occupation, or they are not around because Japan.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

If he's a villain and he's part of a "Meta-human Liberation Front" then I feel it's a safe speculation to say he's a Magneto type figure who might have some good points but is very much a man who store into the abyss, so to speak.
    Its then safe to say that he was a villain, and that he was fighting for the rights of those with quirks.
    You cant say he is a psychotic though. He might have been perfectly well balanced mentally, but just disagreed with the discrimination towards those few that suddenly possesed quirks.
    You certainly cant say he want to exterminate all regular humans. Or technically you can. Its just extreme speculation and should be marked as such.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean if we're assuming back then an X-Men-ish ratio of quirked to quirkless, As well as an X-Men-ish general attitude to quirked individuals... Can you exactly blame a Magneto for popping up?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

The point i was making is that we could not really know if it was a Magneto or a Cyclops. But likely somewhere in between.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter...

Spoiler
    Show

Well, that went fast. Not much to say except Deku getting new gloves and promptly running into our "villains". Also, the tea already is critical. Kind of. So... time to fight?
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #74

Not reading the spoilers for the new chapter until it's out officially on Monday, but this month's Vigilantes is out!

Spoiler
    Show
    Dad loves his little girl. Which is why he learned to relentlessly and without remorse punch her in the face to save her from the bee inside of her. Short chapter, sadly.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Hmpf... I really shouldn't open spoilers out of curiosity... guess I'll try (again) to track down new vigilantes tomorrow....

edit: did that.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay... uhm... is it coincidence that both the main manga and vigilantes have a large music side plot? I mean... it's just weird to me.
    Otherwise thinks are good in Vigilante land. The humor is fine, the action... well, there's not much of that recently. Except as Zodiac says, Knuckle busting some sense into his daughter(?). Or beating a mind controlling bee out of her... something like that. Also *insert THE PAIN video here*

Looking forward to how this ends...
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-17 at 03:50 PM.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #76

Hmpf... I really shouldn't open spoilers out of curiosity... guess I'll try (again) to track down new vigilantes tomorrow....

edit: did that.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay... uhm... is it coincidence that both the main manga and vigilantes have a large music side plot? I mean... it's just weird to me.
    Otherwise thinks are good in Vigilante land. The humor is fine, the action... well, there's not much of that recently. Except as Zodiac says, Knuckle busting some sense into his daughter(?). Or beating a mind controlling bee out of her... something like that. Also *insert THE PAIN video here*

Looking forward to how this ends...
    It really does feel like a funny coincidence, huh. Also yeah beating up his daughter and takin' fatal shocks to the chest. Poor Iron Knuckle.

Also hey new chapter of the actual manga! I can respond to it now!

Spoiler
    Show
    I really love the exchange between Gentle and Deku here. It's cool to see how they're both coming to their conclusions at the same time. I don't think this'll lead to a fight though. Gentle IS a criminal, but he does what he does for...good reason? Sortaaaa? So when Deku explains the situation Gentle won't do his heist. Though, I 10000000% predict that he's going to attack the school AS PART OF AN ACT, to drum up support for the heroes after hearing Deku's sad story.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

It really does feel like a funny coincidence, huh. Also yeah beating up his daughter and takin' fatal shocks to the chest. Poor Iron Knuckle.

Also hey new chapter of the actual manga! I can respond to it now!

Spoiler
    Show
    I really love the exchange between Gentle and Deku here. It's cool to see how they're both coming to their conclusions at the same time. I don't think this'll lead to a fight though. Gentle IS a criminal, but he does what he does for...good reason? Sortaaaa? So when Deku explains the situation Gentle won't do his heist. Though, I 10000000% predict that he's going to attack the school AS PART OF AN ACT, to drum up support for the heroes after hearing Deku's sad story.
    Hm......... I'm not so convinced. Not that Gentle isn't a good guy at heart, my guess is Deku won't explain what's going on becaus...well, it's none of their business. So my guess is they'll run, sneak in and Deku will be busy trying to stop them in secret (?)

I feel I'm missing still a chapter of Vigilantes, by what you say, though
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #78

Hm......... I'm not so convinced. Not that Gentle isn't a good guy at heart, my guess is Deku won't explain what's going on becaus...well, it's none of their business. So my guess is they'll run, sneak in and Deku will be busy trying to stop them in secret (?)

I feel I'm missing still a chapter of Vigilantes, by what you say, though
    I mean the latest chapter has Knuckle being like "aah, this'll probably kill me" right? I do remember that, that was chapter 25.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I mean the latest chapter has Knuckle being like "aah, this'll probably kill me" right? I do remember that, that was chapter 25.
    Ah, I'm only up to 24. (Yeah, still no viz for me) Guess I'll have to wait to see how this ends...

Also: Crawler really is a great main character. And Makoto doesn't really need her powers, considering how good she is at reading people.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #80

Ah, I'm only up to 24. (Yeah, still no viz for me) Guess I'll have to wait to see how this ends...

Also: Crawler really is a great main character. And Makoto doesn't really need her powers, considering how good she is at reading people.
    Crawler is a really good main character and feels super in step with My Hero Academia's themes.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Crawler is a really good main character and feels super in step with My Hero Academia's themes.
    The whole series is full of good, interesting characters. At least the ones that we get to know. Granted, I rarely dislike characters in general, and a few can be a bit much at times, but both series do a really good job with their casts, or the main series with the two dozen important people. There are a few I think could use more time but still.

Also, I've come to realize while the series is pretty light on romance anyway, the only two crushes I can think of (Uraka's and Pop's) are mainly coming from the female side.. Which just seems uncommon in a shonen series for some reason. Though, it might be just my imagination.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #82

The whole series is full of good, interesting characters. At least the ones that we get to know. Granted, I rarely dislike characters in general, and a few can be a bit much at times, but both series do a really good job with their casts, or the main series with the two dozen important people. There are a few I think could use more time but still.

Also, I've come to realize while the series is pretty light on romance anyway, the only two crushes I can think of (Uraka's and Pop's) are mainly coming from the female side.. Which just seems uncommon in a shonen series for some reason. Though, it might be just my imagination.
    It's fairly uncommon, since usually the girl plays the "oblivious because shy though she knows it's a thing" in most series like this. I for one really like how Uraraka is trying to balance her crush with her actual work though, that's really cool.

And yeah the problem with ensemble casts like this is that you will not have time to give everyone the coverage you want. It's why this arc is focusing so much on Ashido, Horikoshi really wanted her to be a bigger character than she's ended up being! He just hasn't had the time for it. Balancing characters is a difficult thing to do writing wise.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

It's fairly uncommon, since usually the girl plays the "oblivious because shy though she knows it's a thing" in most series like this. I for one really like how Uraraka is trying to balance her crush with her actual work though, that's really cool.

And yeah the problem with ensemble casts like this is that you will not have time to give everyone the coverage you want. It's why this arc is focusing so much on Ashido, Horikoshi really wanted her to be a bigger character than she's ended up being! He just hasn't had the time for it. Balancing characters is a difficult thing to do writing wise.
    Yeah, Uraraka is really done well. I mean, sometimes there's a bit much focus on her love life, kinda like Hinata but it's still good.

Well... you could cut down the cast somewhat. I think there are at least four students in class A we could probably cut and (so far) not lose much.. It's not bad to have them but still.

edit: I either need to get used to double poting or stop talking so goddamn much...
    Spoiler
    Show

New chapter. Gentle has an... interesting power. Given its apparent versatility he could be seriously OP.. Anyway, they try to run but Deku chases after them, developing a new airborne attack (alsp, apprently ignoring Newton't second law in the process).

It's cool but... I don't know whom to cheer for here. Gentle really is a pretty endearing character.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-03-23 at 03:32 PM.
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. Gentle has a bit of style, but im really not understanding the fanbase he is building. At heart he is still a criminal. And not even as interesting as AfO.
    As for his power. It is interesting, but im not certain i would call it OP. Its a great counter to most physical style heroes, while at the same time being worthless again some of the others.

Did love Bakugo getting so deeply into things that he broke his drumstick though.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

I love Izuku's apparent reputation as "that crazy dude."

26. - Top - End - #86

Hmm.. Gentle has a bit of style, but im really not understanding the fanbase he is building. At heart he is still a criminal. And not even as interesting as AfO.
    As for his power. It is interesting, but im not certain i would call it OP. Its a great counter to most physical style heroes, while at the same time being worthless again some of the others.

Did love Bakugo getting so deeply into things that he broke his drumstick though.
    Haven't read the latest chapter, but Gentle is great because he dresses fabulously, does villiany that is not really all that bad (while still being a crime) and also tried to do dramatic tea pouring and failed, which is something I've never seen before and it's hilarious.

He's kind of like the inverse in Stain in that Stain is cool because he's ****ing horrifying and at least partially right. Gentle is hilarious, and fighting against the most minor of injustices of life in a villainous way. It's almost petty, and that makes it funnier.

To put it simply, if Gentle ever actually killed a person, that'd make him not remotely interesting anymore. The fact that what he does IS so petty is part of what makes him funny. The Joker, if he never actually hurt anyone all that badly.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Gentle mostly has two things that no villain in this series has had up to now.

One, he is not a psycho nor in complete subservience to one. All For One, Tomura, Stain, Overhaul, all of them have been complete psychotic murderers with no redeeming qualities. Most of the Villain Alliance is the same way, and the couple that do not seem like they get their jollies off murdering are completely subservient to the ones that do. Gentle on the other hand is basically more of an unlawful vigilante, punishing misdemeanours and doing things for fame and personal satisfaction. He's petty and silly, but also human in a way the series has reserved for the hero side up to here, and so it's much easier to sympathize with him.

And two, he has style. He's bombastic and deliberate and he has an aesthetic that is not "horror B-movie". He has a certain silly charisma and an act. And it's a pretty neat act.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-03-24 at 04:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think Gentle really has a fan base... he has one fan and a few people who watch his videos because they are fun. As for his appeal, he is not bad, but he goes against the "establishment". He does forbidden things without really hurting anyone. I can absolutely see why people would like that.

As for his powers... I'd argue if he can turn anything elastic it has a wide range of possibility, though him having to toch thing is quite a problem. But you forget the most obvious thing... he can touch himself... he can make himself elastic. He can become... A RUBBER MAN! Yes, Gentle can be Hero Academia's Luffy! I mean... I don't think that's how it works. But it could.
    Also... his fabulous beard.

Also, everything Katsuki does is great. I'm sure I would hate his character in every other show but he makes it look good somehow.
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm 100% sure Gentle could turn himself elastoc but I'm also 100% sure he'd be in a bad way of he did since he's need all sorts of Required Secondary Powers to make it work. For one, if he wants to stay stretched out he needs his heart to. Beat harder to continue to prov8de his stretched out limbs with blood. More blood pressure means Anime Blood Fountains if he so much as gets nicked. Way too risky.
    That's also assuming he can alter the "density" of his rubberized body enough to stand with rubberized bones.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Gentle really has a fan base... he has one fan and a few people who watch his videos because they are fun. As for his appeal, he is not bad, but he goes against the "establishment". He does forbidden things without really hurting anyone. I can absolutely see why people would like that.
    Well.. counting in this thread alone i already see 2 people. It was those i were refering to

As for his powers... I'd argue if he can turn anything elastic it has a wide range of possibility, though him having to toch thing is quite a problem. But you forget the most obvious thing... he can touch himself... he can make himself elastic. He can become... A RUBBER MAN! Yes, Gentle can be Hero Academia's Luffy! I mean... I don't think that's how it works. But it could.
    Also... his fabulous beard.
    I'm 100% sure Gentle could turn himself elastoc but I'm also 100% sure he'd be in a bad way of he did since he's need all sorts of Required Secondary Powers to make it work. For one, if he wants to stay stretched out he needs his heart to. Beat harder to continue to prov8de his stretched out limbs with blood. More blood pressure means Anime Blood Fountains if he so much as gets nicked. Way too risky.
    That's also assuming he can alter the "density" of his rubberized body enough to stand with rubberized bones.
    Given that we are talking about the guy who turned the air into a protective screen, then i really dont doubt he would be able to make his body rubbery without mentionable sideeffects.
    I just dont think he would get much out of it. I mean yes, he could likely increase his resistante to a regular beating. But thats about it. The majority of Luffy's fighting power does not come from his DF but from his secondary super powers.