New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

This was a surprisingly tense chapter! I really liked it though. I love the reveal of Gentle's power, and it explains why the store got all wibbly when he was done fighting in it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Spoiler: Action!
    Show

Not much to say... It was fun all around, action wise and dialogue wise. And we might learn about our little henchwoman's power next time? Or not.

Also, I think I'm finally caught up with vigilantes. I guess that's one villain down and... pretty brutally murdered. But somewhat touching, nonetheless. The other parts.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: Action!
    Show

Not much to say... It was fun all around, action wise and dialogue wise. And we might learn about our little henchwoman's power next time? Or not.

Also, I think I'm finally caught up with vigilantes. I guess that's one villain down and... pretty brutally murdered. But somewhat touching, nonetheless. The other parts.
    Yeah, that chapter you just read is the most recent. A dramatic defeat for Queen Bee, and the reveal on how Knuckle Duster survived! That's kind of fantastic and I actually kinda figured it was something like that.

Also like last time, not reading the main manga until it's officially out. Rip me.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I know, you're a good person.

Well, how he survived wasn't that surprising, though I guess I could argue he was beyond the point where he should have been able to. More surprising it fit so well with his original plan.
    But seriously, do you think they would have done anything as crass if Queen had been a human?
    "What's done is done."

5. - Top - End - #95

I know, you're a good person.

Well, how he survived wasn't that surprising, though I guess I could argue he was beyond the point where he should have been able to. More surprising it fit so well with his original plan.
    But seriously, do you think they would have done anything as crass if Queen had been a human?
    Ah, sorry! I didn't meant to come off as snobbish like that!

Fair point. I'm actually not sure if Queen Bee is dead or not though. Is Queen a human who implanted that bee in his daughter, or are they a bee themselves? Or are they a bee person like Tokoyami is a bird person? It's not 100% clear, so I'm not ready to say 100% that Queen Bee is dead.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

No, that's not what I meant. If anything I wish I had the character and patience to do the same.

Hm.. Yeah, we don't really know. But my guess is most likely it was an animal with a quirk so.. He murdered a (very evil) sentient being. Of course it could be something else, but...
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #97

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaaaaah what a good chapter. It had really intense action, if you read between the lines Gentle's entire ****ing plan is just to photobomb people to prove he did this, but the lack of knowledge about Eri makes this an actually really bad thing. Deku shows some heroism saving that old guy, and we get teased about seeing La Brava's quirk next time. My Hero Academia rules!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaaaaah what a good chapter. It had really intense action, if you read between the lines Gentle's entire ****ing plan is just to photobomb people to prove he did this, but the lack of knowledge about Eri makes this an actually really bad thing. Deku shows some heroism saving that old guy, and we get teased about seeing La Brava's quirk next time. My Hero Academia rules!
    Well, we kind of knew already he just wanted to show he could do it. I mean, he tells Deku but for us it's just repetition. And yeah, if it wasn't for Eri / the heightened security there would be no problem with this.. But I feel this somehow will end well. I even assume the two will improve her experience somehow.
    And Deku here is really just doing his "job".

Quote Originally Posted by vietcuong7 View Post
    Well, as 'people' they do but as long as we don't learn about it that doesn't help much, does it? I could make up hobbies for them but that doesn't really help from my perspective.
    Uhm.. I think you're responding to a rather older discussion?
    "What's done is done."

9. - Top - End - #99

Well, we kind of knew already he just wanted to show he could do it. I mean, he tells Deku but for us it's just repetition. And yeah, if it wasn't for Eri / the heightened security there would be no problem with this.. But I feel this somehow will end well. I even assume the two will improve her experience somehow.
    And Deku here is really just doing his "job".

Uhm.. I think you're responding to a rather older discussion?
    Well, I actually kinda figured he'd at least show up on stage or something. He'd announce that he'd done it during the festival. But now it seems like he really does just plan to get inside and just hide in the background just to prove he was there.

It's a bot Kato.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

It's a bot Kato.
    Ah, stupid me

Also : wow, that new chapter. Just... Wow. This is slightly cheesy but I definitely like it!
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #101

A fun little detail of this chapter I really, really like!

Spoiler
    Show
    Gentle in the video LaBrava watches doesn't have his eyeshadow and stuff. That's just a thing with LaBrava's face, and he changed his outfit and make up to match her. It's super adorable! Also, THE POWER OF LOVE! What an amazing quirk, and what a cool conclusion (of sorts) to this fight.

They're gonna get stomped because as powerful as love is, Gentle's just like some dude, Deku's literally fought a man who could eat mountains with his fists if he wanted to this is still heavily one sided towards Deku. But I think it'll end in a nice way, at least.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

A fun little detail of this chapter I really, really like!

Spoiler
    Show
    Gentle in the video LaBrava watches doesn't have his eyeshadow and stuff. That's just a thing with LaBrava's face, and he changed his outfit and make up to match her. It's super adorable! Also, THE POWER OF LOVE! What an amazing quirk, and what a cool conclusion (of sorts) to this fight.

They're gonna get stomped because as powerful as love is, Gentle's just like some dude, Deku's literally fought a man who could eat mountains with his fists if he wanted to this is still heavily one sided towards Deku. But I think it'll end in a nice way, at least.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ah, I only half noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Cute indeed. I mean, with this I'd rather not think harder about the age of the two but still.

I think the idea of giving the "villains" the power of love is really great. I mean, yeah, they're not real villains but still! Though, with this and the reveal of her real name, I'm more willing to go with the fan translation of her name, here..
    And I'm really not sure how this will go. Fine, Deku has the power of AM but not only is Gentle's quirk a great counter for physical types, his power has grown immensely, and I don't think that only relates to physical strength (because sure, he'd still lose that match)
    We'll see how it goes...
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, I only half noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Cute indeed. I mean, with this I'd rather not think harder about the age of the two but still.

I think the idea of giving the "villains" the power of love is really great. I mean, yeah, they're not real villains but still! Though, with this and the reveal of her real name, I'm more willing to go with the fan translation of her name, here..
    And I'm really not sure how this will go. Fine, Deku has the power of AM but not only is Gentle's quirk a great counter for physical types, his power has grown immensely, and I don't think that only relates to physical strength (because sure, he'd still lose that match)
    We'll see how it goes...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can understand that, but "La Brava" is still the official name, and still fits better. La brava means passionate, her power is loving Gentle passionately and earnestly, so it fits. Lovelover is...blunt, and not nuanced. It's a fine name, but I prefer La Brava.

Also I choose to believe that Gentle very much knows the proper boundry to have with this middle schoolar, since he seems like a nice guy.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can understand that, but "La Brava" is still the official name, and still fits better. La brava means passionate, her power is loving Gentle passionately and earnestly, so it fits. Lovelover is...blunt, and not nuanced. It's a fine name, but I prefer La Brava.

Also I choose to believe that Gentle very much knows the proper boundry to have with this middle schoolar, since he seems like a nice guy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm reasonably sure Lovelover is not meant to be a middle schooler. She flashbacks to middle school, but the whole "living alone in a pile of trash in a darkened room with a screen" thing is kind of how a lot of manga signals "this character is a young early twenties kid that has completely lost control of her life and/or drive". And there's a graduation album poking from her piles of trash.

She just happens to be munchkin-sized.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Im also pretty certain LaBrave is meant to be an adult. Or at least old enough to drink in most places.
    But i do think her quirk is stupidly specific.
    Like.. if she could boost someone elses power? thats alright. Its reverse Eraser.
    That she can boost people to the degree that she likes them? Also alright, a little more specific.
    But this is just to much. Only able to buff the one person she loves the most?

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's only slightly more limited than Cementoss's quirk. I mean... just cement?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm reasonably sure La Brava is not meant to be a middle schooler. She flashbacks to middle school, but the whole "living alone in a pile of trash in a darkened room with a screen" thing is kind of how a lot of manga signals "this character is a young early twenties kid that has completely lost control of her life and/or drive". And there's a graduation album poking from her piles of trash.

She just happens to be munchkin-sized.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Im also pretty certain LaBrave is meant to be an adult. Or at least old enough to drink in most places.
    But i do think her quirk is stupidly specific.
    Like.. if she could boost someone elses power? thats alright. Its reverse Eraser.
    That she can boost people to the degree that she likes them? Also alright, a little more specific.
    But this is just to much. Only able to buff the one person she loves the most?

Spoiler
    Show

We don't know it's specifically single target use only. She can probably boost anyone based on how much she likes them, but she specifically gives them a super boost if they're in a tense situation and she's in love with them. It's literally friendship power, with an additional Power Of Love bonus in those situations where you'd need the Power of Love to get out of it alive.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

1) regarding the name.. I will admit the Fan translation is a bit on the nose but since my limited language skills make me think La Brava is The Brave and not The Passionate it just feels more fitting. I guess it's a bit like the Giga Drill Break(er) argument.. We could just call her Aiba..?

2) Considering we just learned about her skill I'd say it's hard to judge how it works. The explanation might be by some omniscient narrator and it's only limited to one person or it's just her/ Gentle's interpretation based on what they know. While being more widely applicable would make it more useful, I'm happy enough if it is just an instance of the power of love being manifested and working for the villains. Also, not getting into any discussion about what love is and how this should work..

3) yeah, the book is a clear indication she's at least somewhat older than she looks but given this is a manga she might still be... young. I guess we are free to believe she's as old as we want her to be. Also, Gentle's age also is kind of unclear. He could be in his twenties and just styling himself to look older. He could also be a good bit older but given he's not tiny, he's likely not super old.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

1) regarding the name.. I will admit the Fan translation is a bit on the nose but since my limited language skills make me think La Brava is The Brave and not The Passionate it just feels more fitting. I guess it's a bit like the Giga Drill Break(er) argument.. We could just call her Aiba..?
    As for me, I'm Spanish, from Spain. "Bravo" is an adjective used for semi-wild bulls they breed for bullfighting, not people, except in our equivalent of Ye Olde Englishe (and even there it mostly means "brave and manly"). So Imma just keep calling her Lovelover.

20. - Top - End - #110

As for me, I'm Spanish, from Spain. "Bravo" is an adjective used for semi-wild bulls they breed for bullfighting, not people, except in our equivalent of Ye Olde Englishe (and even there it mostly means "brave and manly"). So Imma just keep calling her Lovelover.
    I mean that's swell and all but her official name is La Brava. It's valid according to my friend who speaks the language, so I'm going to err on the side of...you know, legality?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I mean that's swell and all but her official name is La Brava. It's valid according to my friend who speaks the language, so I'm going to err on the side of...you know, legality?
    I don't really have a problem here but in cases where official translations are just, you know, bad, I'd like to leave myself the ability to ignore it and go with what I feel is better. I'm not really consuming German translations of.. Well, anything anymore because I feel they are just lacking. Not to say translators don't do their best (usually) but if I just like a fan variation more.. Well, I'll ignore the official one.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, you can call her whatever you like. I'm just saying, I'm going to keep calling her the name that doesn't register as The Wild to my brain, because that sounds less like a name and more like a weird Tarot arcana or a Furi boss . Whatever anyone else calls a character is neither my business nor my place to say.

Hilariously, I get a definite feeling if they had just put the name all together in a single word, Labrava, the adjective would literally never have registered in my brain and I'd have assumed it was just a silly JRPG name?

And yeah, I'm with Kato on the whole "eh, if I like the fan variation more, officialness can go hang".
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-04-11 at 02:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's only slightly more limited than Cementoss's quirk. I mean... just cement?
    That power is insane. The ability to produce and control the most versetile construction material known to man?
    Yes please.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #114

Sure, you can call her whatever you like. I'm just saying, I'm going to keep calling her the name that doesn't register as The Wild to my brain, because that sounds less like a name and more like a weird Tarot arcana or a Furi boss . Whatever anyone else calls a character is neither my business nor my place to say.

Hilariously, I get a definite feeling if they had just put the name all together in a single word, Labrava, the adjective would literally never have registered in my brain and I'd have assumed it was just a silly JRPG name?

And yeah, I'm with Kato on the whole "eh, if I like the fan variation more, officialness can go hang".
    Eeh, fine. All I'm saying is that if the fan translators where good enough they'd be actual translators, since that jobs kind of always hungry for more people

Just don't call the series Boku no Hero Academia, not only is it a sign of reading the fan translations it's also just wrong, the series is called My Hero Academia, written out in english, even in the Japanese release.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Just don't call the series Boku no Hero Academia, not only is it a sign of reading the fan translations it's also just wrong, the series is called My Hero Academia, written out in english, even in the Japanese release.
    No. It isn't.

The logo card contains the title in English, but when the name of the series is written not as part of the title card it's written 僕のヒーローアカヂミヤ. (See: WSJ cover)

Which is "Boku no Hero Academia" (techincally boku no hiiroo akadimiya). Remember that there are lots of ways of saying "my" depending on the presumed speaker, and for a series with a young male protagonist trying to sound cool and assertive "boku" would be the one used.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    No. It isn't.

The logo card contains the title in English, but when the name of the series is written not as part of the title card it's written 僕のヒーローアカヂミヤ. (See: WSJ cover)

Which is "Boku no Hero Academia" (techincally boku no hiiroo akadimiya). Remember that there are lots of ways of saying "my" depending on the presumed speaker, and for a series with a young male protagonist trying to sound cool and assertive "boku" would be the one used.
    That's fair, but I was talking about the title cards for that.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    That power is insane. The ability to produce and control the most versetile construction material known to man?
    Yes please.
    Not create, just control. But that's the thing, it's basically a really, really limited form of geokinesis. Even Pixiebob's geokinesis has a broad limit where it can't affect man-made materials, but Cementoss can only mess with one insanely specific subcategory of man-made earth.

28. - Top - End - #118

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Not create, just control. But that's the thing, it's basically a really, really limited form of geokinesis. Even Pixiebob's geokinesis has a broad limit where it can't affect man-made materials, but Cementoss can only mess with one insanely specific subcategory of man-made earth.
    A specific subcategory of man-made earth which is ubiquitous in urban environments...

There's cement in basically everything in a city.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the specificness itself that I find odd. Never said it wasn't powerful. But take him out of a city and he's toast, just like putting Pixiebob into a city would make her similarly toast.

30. - Top - End - #120

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    It's the specificness itself that I find odd. Never said it wasn't powerful. But take him out of a city and he's toast, just like putting Pixiebob into a city would make her similarly toast.
    Yeah, but if you take half the population of major urban environments out of cities they last about half an hour. People die if there's actual oxygen in the air.