Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Again, the strsngth/ ease of use of Cementoss's quirk wasnt the point of my original statement. Just that it's a weirdly strict limit.

Another example is Best Jeanist, who controls specifically fabric and threads. Like, he can't do anything to a ball of raw cotton, but spin it into denim and then he suddenly can?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Again, the strsngth/ ease of use of Cementoss's quirk wasnt the point of my original statement. Just that it's a weirdly strict limit.

Another example is Best Jeanist, who controls specifically fabric and threads. Like, he can't do anything to a ball of raw cotton, but spin it into denim and then he suddenly can?
    I mean we don't know that. We know that he has control over fabrics and threads, yes, but he specifically mentions that he is capable of controlling all of them, he just has different proficiencies with each.

My guess is that Cementoss, like Jeanist, can just do straight geomancy. He's just not good at it compared to his specific cement control, like how Jeanist is able to control all of that sort of material, but is the best at denim.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Or maybe we should not worry too much about the science behind their powers, e.g. Katsuki's sweat is explosive but he is not constantly exploding all over the place.. Super powers are weird that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    There's cement in basically everything in a city.
    But he's a hero so he likely won't risk destroying half the city to get his materials. Unless he has a very lucrative deal with some construction companies.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, Katsuki clearly has the implied ability to control when he makes his explosions- for the most part. I suppose him making sparks involuntarily when her gets mad suggests that the trigger for it is in the same part of his brain. I'm assuming it's made from two quirks that just synergize really well. I mean, even Mina's acid work, which is classified as "Emitter" feels like it should be a "Mutant" type since she clearly has extra glands beneath her skin that produce her acid.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

New chapter is very good.

I'm liking Gentle Criminal more and more. I'm hoping he stays around, maybe as an antihero, after his inevitable defeat.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    New chapter is very good.

I'm liking Gentle Criminal more and more. I'm hoping he stays around, maybe as an antihero, after his inevitable defeat.
    Well, here is the thing...
    Spoiler
    Show

Gentle didn't want to be a hero to help people, he wanted to do it to be famous. And while he certainly isn't the onl one like that, e.g. Captain Celebrity, it's not a good motivation and I might even say he didn't deserve to be one. I'm sure there could have been other ways for him to fix his problems instead of becoming a villain. And I feel now strongly he will learn his lesson today.

That said, I can't help somewhat cheering for him nonetheless.
    Also, he seems to be on the young side, too. So that problem is kind of averted.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, he seems to be on the young side, too. So that problem is kind of averted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Aiba's about 18-19 tops*, and Gentle was 22 before he started what he's doing now which he's been doing at least 6 years. So there's about a 10 year gap between them at least.

Not inconcievable at their current ages, but you gotta figure she dropped out of school when she was 15 at the end of compulsory education and has probably been working with him since.

* She was in first year middle school when she first saw him, which is 12. Also remember that infinite chibis aren't even remarkable in this world given that nobody even comments on how short Mineta is.

8. - Top - End - #128

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Gentle didn't want to be a hero to help people, he wanted to do it to be famous. And while he certainly isn't the onl one like that, e.g. Captain Celebrity, it's not a good motivation and I might even say he didn't deserve to be one. I'm sure there could have been other ways for him to fix his problems instead of becoming a villain. And I feel now strongly he will learn his lesson today.

That said, I can't help somewhat cheering for him nonetheless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, "I want to be remembered" is still a better motivation than multiple people in Izuku's class. If Bakugou, who is largely motivated by a mix of "I want to win" and "I have a psychological need to be superior to everyone", gets to be a hero, Gentle Criminal's relatively benign "I want to make history" is multiple standard deviations inside the curve here. And of course, by now he seems to not only be in this for himself, but to not disappoint the trust of the one that believes in him. Hence, antihero - he's nowhere near a proper selfless hero like Izuku is, but he's kind of not really villainous except in the strict legal definition of "uses superpowers to do something illegal".

And yes, there could. But at the same time, Academia has not been shy in pointing out that sometimes this society is absolutely not fair. Gentle reminds me a bit of the Crawler, from Vigilantes, in that nobody thought he would amount to anything and never had a real chance following the "legitimate" way. Crawler met Knuckeduster and became a vigilante, Gentle did not and became... also sort of a vigilante, really, just against really petty stuff.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-04-14 at 03:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

@age issue
    Well, with all information gathered I feel the reasons to be worried are dwindling.. Though, @gloating, I probably missed something but what makes you think Gentle has been at it for at least six years?

@Drascin I don't want to make excuses for Katsuki but I don't think that's all there is to him. Yes, he has a strong urge to be the best but he, like Deku, also really looks up to AM, he just has a really hard time being nice for... Some reason. But I feel he genuinely wants to help, in his own way.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

@age issue
    Well, with all information gathered I feel the reasons to be worried are dwindling.. Though, @gloating, I probably missed something but what makes you think Gentle has been at it for at least six years?
    Gentle's introduction in issue 171, when La Brava is complaining about how many more views Stain is getting than them, she says he's been "the villain of the online world" for six years.

12. - Top - End - #132

@age issue

@Drascin I don't want to make excuses for Katsuki but I don't think that's all there is to him. Yes, he has a strong urge to be the best but he, like Deku, also really looks up to AM, he just has a really hard time being nice for... Some reason. But I feel he genuinely wants to help, in his own way.
    Bakugo's mentality is a horrible mix of nature and nurture, in a way I don't think I've seen many other series go. The dude's always had just kind of an explosive personality, he's a natural leader and is just generally gifted. Adding to that, his quirk is super versatile and useful, leading him to basically receive praise universally since kindergarten. The fact that Bakugo is still capable of acknowledging others as being strong, as being capable and of doing their best (like he did with Uraraka in the sports fest) is honestly impressive because in most other series, he'd be someone insufferable because of his sureness in being the best. His motive for being a hero is seeing how cool All Might is, which somewhat warped his view (the best hero always wins), but even that doesn't stop him from seeing the truth of being a hero. He knows why they fight, he just believes that if you're not strong enough you shouldn't punch about your pay grade, so to say.

Anyway, I really liked this chapter. I liked Gentle's backstory, because it's one of those backstories where we see explicitly that this person could of been a hero, should of been a hero really if not for just...not being that good at school. Someone mentioned the Crawler being a lot like him, and that's 100% true in my book. They both have quirks that could very easily be trained to be amazingly powerful, but because life just is not fair the system let them down. But Gentle's decision to become a villain, even an anti-hero of sorts, is still the wrong path. But it's a path he's taken for noble reasons. It's fascinating, and I do hope Gentle show sup again after this as well.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

The whole motivation to be a hero deal is possibly a red herring.

Ochaco wants to be a hero because heroes get paid, and Mineta is in it for the chicks in spandex.

And they both got into UA.

14. - Top - End - #134

The whole motivation to be a hero deal is possibly a red herring.

Ochaco wants to be a hero because heroes get paid, and Mineta is in it for the chicks in spandex.

And they both got into UA.
    Well I mean the problem isn't his motive the problem is he got held back a year and failed the exam four times? That still feels like the system is failing him, just in a different way. His motive mixed with the fact that he's had a rough time of school clearly has led him to an unfortunate path. Uraraka if she had a bad time of school might of become a rather effective bank robber.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-04-17 at 08:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    He knows why they fight, he just believes that if you're not strong enough you shouldn't punch about your pay grade, so to say.
    I'm not quite sure if that's his point... I guess we're all too nice people to understand how someone like him ticks Also, while by now his quirk is certainly versatile, I feel as a kid he must have constantly blown up stuff. That can't have been something anyone loved.

Anyway, I really liked this chapter. I liked Gentle's backstory, because it's one of those backstories where we see explicitly that this person could of been a hero, should of been a hero really if not for just...not being that good at school. Someone mentioned the Crawler being a lot like him, and that's 100% true in my book. They both have quirks that could very easily be trained to be amazingly powerful, but because life just is not fair the system let them down. But Gentle's decision to become a villain, even an anti-hero of sorts, is still the wrong path. But it's a path he's taken for noble reasons. It's fascinating, and I do hope Gentle show sup again after this as well.
    Nope, I still totally disagree. He's nothing like Crawler. Yeah, he failed his license exams for unknown reasons, but Crawler didn't even get in (or iirc didn't apply because his quirk sucks) If I want to be mean, he might have pulled a Katsuki/Shoto and just failed to get what the point of the exam was because he's just too focussed on his wrong motivation. Yeah, he's not the only one who is in the hero business for less than perfect reason *coughminetacough* but they somehow get what is expected of them as heroes. If he failed to get that, I can totally see his educators kicking him out. Of course there could have also been other reasons.
    But also... no, he has not taken the path of "villainy" for noble reasons. "I want to be famous" is not noble, not even close. It's not bad, but that doesn't make it noble. And again, he's nothing like Crawler. When he couldn't be a hero he decided to help people as best as he could, Gentle sought out another way to become famous, not to help people.

And I'm not saying I hate the man because even with his faults, he still has quite some charm, and while I liked the chapter, it didn't make me like him more.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not quite sure if that's his point... I guess we're all too nice people to understand how someone like him ticks Also, while by now his quirk is certainly versatile, I feel as a kid he must have constantly blown up stuff. That can't have been something anyone loved.
    Bakugo has clearly always attached a lot of worth to the strength of his quirk. He had an awesome quirk and that meant he was an awesome person, which is why he hates the idea that Midoriya might actually surpass him because he used to be a nobody.

It's not an accident that only Kirishima will put up with his ****.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. in fairness for Bakugo.. his parents explained partly how it was others around him who filled his head with how awesome his quirk were.. and that it warped him.
    But all the same.. his quirk isnt that awesome compared to the truely top tier quirks imo. Its Bakugo that makes it work.
    And he is still willing to die or risk his life for his convictions. In his own way he is as principled as Deku.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Oh yeah.

Though ironically I don't think the actual top tier quirk we've seen will be realised in the series. Momo's creation power functionally only has her imagination and knowledge as a limit (apart from can't create anything alive), she's already shown it can create complex working electronics with her tracker, so she could almost certainly produce something like a SADM which is much functionally simpler tech.

If she was given more to planning ahead and not just whipping up a sword or stick she could break the world.

19. - Top - End - #139

Oh yeah.

Though ironically I don't think the actual top tier quirk we've seen will be realised in the series. Momo's creation power functionally only has her imagination and knowledge as a limit (apart from can't create anything alive), she's already shown it can create complex working electronics with her tracker, so she could almost certainly produce something like a SADM which is much functionally simpler tech.

If she was given more to planning ahead and not just whipping up a sword or stick she could break the world.
    Momo orders like ten pizzas and works over night to create a mech suit for her final exam. Something like that would rule.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-04-17 at 03:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Momo's creation power functionally only has her imagination and knowledge as a limit (apart from can't create anything alive),
    Well, also physics... In however far they apply to this universe. I mean, we have no idea if she could make say an Ironman suit or a Gundam... OK, I think the latter might fail because of size. Heck, she could probably just make an assault rifle.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Well, also physics... In however far they apply to this universe. I mean, we have no idea if she could make say an Ironman suit or a Gundam... OK, I think the latter might fail because of size. Heck, she could probably just make an assault rifle.
    The devices she makes would have to obey the physical laws of the MHA universe, but those are already considerably more relaxed than our own.

She could trivially make firearms, she's already done flashbang grenades and a full size cannon (which indicates that she can manage things several times her own body weight).

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like Momo should have at least started out chubby and get skinnier the more she makes. Because there barely seems to be an ounce of fat on her, aside from her chest.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Momo should have at least started out chubby and get skinnier the more she makes. Because there barely seems to be an ounce of fat on her, aside from her chest.
    Uhm... Why? She looks normal / healthy to me, someone with no ounce of fat looks different, I think.
    She wanted to be a hero for a while and she worked hard to make that happen? Physical fitness is definitely helpful for that. None of the other girls are chubby either. OK, she's taller and bustier than them but.. I don't see why she should look different.
    I mean, I wouldn't mind if it was part of her quirk but I don't have any desire for that to be the case.
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Her power is supposed to use fats and lipids in her body to generate matter. (Also ironically her power would be more versatile if she were fat, because that would mean more exposed skin. Would make it harder to do superheroing without enhanced strength and endurance to move the extra mass though).

Given that she can produce objects several times her own bodyweight, that's clearly not the whole story.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2018-04-18 at 01:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

She's actually got a bit of a paunch, though she's still pretty skinny for someone who uses fat cells to generate stuff. She could stand to be a little poofier probably, but maybe she just carries it well.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

New chapter out: I think most shonen authors should take notes that this is how you do a shorter, lower-stakes arc.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-04-20 at 05:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    New chapter out: I think most shonen authors should take notes that this is how you do a shorter, lower-stakes arc.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah... I'm not 100% sure this is over but this was certainly done well. And Gentle even realized to be a bit less selfish. We'll see if Midoriya gets what he meant to do or does... well, frankly, what would be right and honest. Though, actually, with what has happened, I feel the festival should be stopped. This is a pretty major security breach. I mean, I'm sure it won't but it should.
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah... I'm not 100% sure this is over but this was certainly done well. And Gentle even realized to be a bit less selfish. We'll see if Midoriya gets what he meant to do or does... well, frankly, what would be right and honest. Though, actually, with what has happened, I feel the festival should be stopped. This is a pretty major security breach. I mean, I'm sure it won't but it should.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I expect there'll be a denouement next week. I also expect the festival to continue, because frankly there's nothing logical to replace it in the narrative at this point, and Gentle is far too small time to disrupt it especially since they haven't even reached the security perimeter yet.

In fact, I mostly expect Gentle and La Brava to be disregarded by the teachers and told to move along, because they haven't seen Midoriya's fight with him.

Quite possibly at some point Midoriya will have the chance to drop him in it and not do so.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

You know that functional muscle requires a decent ratio of fat to support it, right? If you look at female athletes like gymnasts and track runner you'll notice very few of then are actually super skinny. And while Momo isn't exactly thin, she's definitely too skinny for someone whose power explicitly makes use of her body fat. Not saying she has to be like Fatgum, either, but she should definitely be quite a bit rounder.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

You know that functional muscle requires a decent ratio of fat to support it, right? If you look at female athletes like gymnasts and track runner you'll notice very few of then are actually super skinny. And while Momo isn't exactly thin, she's definitely too skinny for someone whose power explicitly makes use of her body fat. Not saying she has to be like Fatgum, either, but she should definitely be quite a bit rounder.
    Are we looking at different characters? I have no idea how you get the idea Momo would be too skinny? I mean, yeah, she is far from chubby but a few images where her arms are weirdly thin I can not find any official image where she doesn't look totally healthy, unless you're line for "too skinny" is far above mine. And I feel like the "uses fat for creation" info is... well, you'd need a whole lot of fat cells to make a cannon, so whoever came up with that didn't put a lot of thought in it. Which obviously happens to be the best authors once in a while.
    "What's done is done."