New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Okay.

I started with "I feel like Momo should be chubbier," and someone else added the "because she uses her body fat for things, so having visible body fat should have been incorporated into her design"

You yourself said that Momo needs to be/has become physically fit due to hero training.

My response to that was the bit that you quoted.

And no, Momo does look skinny. Probably to do with her being the tallest, but especially as they're presented in the manga, she is fat from the most full-figured girl in the cast, when the way her powers work practically dictate that she should.

And yeah she makes bigger. Stuff than her own body. Most quirks viopate the known laws of physics in some way.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Well of course she is a skinny girl if her power allows her to constantly burn off surplus body fat?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well of course she is a skinny girl if her power allows her to constantly burn off surplus body fat?
    You say "constantly" as if Momo is shown popping items out of her skin everytime she's on-screen.

And I'm not asking her to be, like Fatgum level. It's making the lines of her stomach/arms/thighs/face a bit wider or narrower every so often that big a deal?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

You say "constantly" as if Momo is shown popping items out of her skin everytime she's on-screen.

And I'm not asking her to be, like Fatgum level. It's making the lines of her stomach/arms/thighs/face a bit wider or narrower every so often that big a deal?
    I repeat. Her power allows her to burn off surplus fat.
    She is a teenage girl.
    Draw the relevant conclusion?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, copying and pasting on the phone is annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I started with "I feel like Momo should be chubbier," and someone else added the "because she uses her body fat for things, so having visible body fat should have been incorporated into her design"

You yourself said that Momo needs to be/has become physically fit due to hero training.

My response to that was the bit that you quoted.
    Uhm, you said in the post I quoted..

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    ... she's definitely too skinny for someone whose power explicitly makes use of her body fat....
    which to me sounds pretty close to what you say you didn't say (although not verbatim the same)
    But yes, I did not address the main point of your post, sorry. Of course athletes need some energy reserves so they can't be only skin and bones. (unless we're talking about e.g. sprinters) The thing is, I feel like it really depends on how you look at her. To me there is nothing about her design that makes her less than average / healthy weight. Yes, as you say, her being taller makes her look slimmer, but still far from skinny, unless we need to have a semantic discussion on what constitutes skinny. (because skinny to me always has a touch of unhealthy to it)

Comparing her to other female cast members.. I don't see much difference. She looks about the same as people like Midnight, Tsuyu or Jiro, though we see less of the latters' figure usually. Heck, I'd argue Tsuyu looks skinnier even in clothes, but that might be just my impression.

As for her powers.. Really, I'd like to discard this bit personally. If we take it serious she'd be either at least seriously chubby or more to have enough material, or often enough looking like she just did a massive diet. Unless "keeping your figure" is part of her quirk.

Again, I wouldn't care if she had a different figure, maybe I'd even prefer it, but discarding poor logic behind how her quirk works, I don't see anything about her design that makes her look skinny by my definition of the word. If we want to argue what the word means, I guess we will need a few more pages.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #156
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter, both of the main series and Vigilantes!

In main world:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gentle realizes, among other things, that his defeat in a fight here means La Brava will probably get a harsher time of it. So he sets things up and surrenders. God bless, Gentle Criminal. I hope they come back as anti-heroes in the future. I also hope Deku can get this rope back in time. This was a fun little side arc.

In Vigilantes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that all the intensity is gone, we have a nice cool down chapter of everyone fighting a ton of perverts. Finally, Dad is happy (though he's still gonna beat the **** out of people for fun and justice).

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter, both of the main series and Vigilantes!

In main world:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gentle realizes, among other things, that his defeat in a fight here means La Brava will probably get a harsher time of it. So he sets things up and surrenders. God bless, Gentle Criminal. I hope they come back as anti-heroes in the future. I also hope Deku can get this rope back in time. This was a fun little side arc.

In Vigilantes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that all the intensity is gone, we have a nice cool down chapter of everyone fighting a ton of perverts. Finally, Dad is happy (though he's still gonna beat the **** out of people for fun and justice).
    Yeah, the new Vigilantes was fun but I felt it kind of lacked proper closure for the last arc. But that Swan guy....Geez... Otherwise not much to say.
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: No spoiler, just a new OST!
    Show

Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-05-05 at 09:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

New chapter of both the main series AND Vigilantes! Yay Golden Week!
    Spoiler
    Show

Gentle Criminal has been defeated, but it's a really sad kind of victory. I hope he gets off with less heat than he probably deserves, and can get redemption later. He and especially LaBrava actually kick a lot of ass. And we begin the festival, to make Eri smile!

Meanwhile in Vigilantes...:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tragically, Knuckle Duster's wife passes on. She's finally wasted away. But...his daughter's alive! She's...clearly got some brain damage due to the hive of bees that were nesting up there, but I think she'll recover for the most part.

But the thing that gets me the most, the really powerful thing in all this...Knuckle Duster does the hardest thing a vigilante, an actual vigilante, can ever do. And that is...stop. He's fought his war. He's won. He got revenge for his Uncle Ben. And now he's done, because he can't afford to endanger himself anymore, for the people in his life. This is a really powerful moment. And it's sad that Koichi and Pop just...kinda not noticed, due to his nature, and I hope they meet again some day. But yeah, end prologue I suppose.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... I feel kind of confident we'll see the two again, but maybe that's just because what other Shounen do... I guess now we'll have some (more) relaxed time with the festival for a wek or two.

Spoiler: vigilante
    Show

I... don't think stopping is the hardest thing a vigilante can do. He achieved his goal. Okay, he might have taken some joy in beating up people but he wanted to save his girl so I think he's mostly happy. I'm not totally convinced we will never see him again, though.
    I feel the narration aluding to Crawler
    s big adventures in the future is far more surprising, actually. Will he be working alone? Because, really, Pop isn't that useful in a fight... maybe "scary guy" will join him or so.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hm... I feel kind of confident we'll see the two again, but maybe that's just because what other Shounen do... I guess now we'll have some (more) relaxed time with the festival for a wek or two.

Spoiler: vigilante
    Show

I... don't think stopping is the hardest thing a vigilante can do. He achieved his goal. Okay, he might have taken some joy in beating up people but he wanted to save his girl so I think he's mostly happy. I'm not totally convinced we will never see him again, though.
    I feel the narration aluding to Crawler
    s big adventures in the future is far more surprising, actually. Will he be working alone? Because, really, Pop isn't that useful in a fight... maybe "scary guy" will join him or so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eeeh I disagree. Once you've spent a couple months going out and punching people in the face for a living, it's hard to settle down again. It stops becoming your personal war for a personal reason and starts becoming something you DO. Look at say, any super hero who isn't a rich person. Spiderman for example, he really has no reason beyond "I have the ability, so I should!" and that kind of ruins his life like 9 times out of 10. Knuckle Duster knows that with great power comes great responsibility, and that means that he can't do this anymore. I think that's cool, but that's me.

I'm quite excited to see what Crawler's adventure will be, yeah. That's super compelling actually.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Im kinda sad its so hard finding the Vigilante serie.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Im kinda sad its so hard finding the Vigilante serie.
    Yeah, it's not as popular as the main series.. But it's free on viz, I think, so... You just have to convince them your from a country that works..
    I mean, I still think it's dumb, but it works.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, it's not as popular as the main series.. But it's free on viz, I think, so... You just have to convince them your from a country that works..
    Yeah I was gonna say, every single chapter is available on Viz's website. Use a proxy or whatever to get onto the site as if you're American, and do your part to let Viz know that you would very much like Shounen Jump to be accessible in [Your Country].

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

It makes sense when I think about it, but I find it amusing that I have to use a proxy to access it from Japan, of all places.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter.
    Really nice finish (?) to the arc, especially the last page again shows why Kohei is as successful as he is. So simple yet so impactful.
    Also, we manage to spend a little time on Jiro.
    But... A few panels look unfinished to me... It looks interesting but I don't think it's intentional.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Alright this might be me asking stupidly. But how do i tell im Viz im really from USA instead europe as it folishly insist are the care?

18. - Top - End - #168

Alright this might be me asking stupidly. But how do i tell im Viz im really from USA instead europe as it folishly insist are the care?
    You can use a proxy site, or maybe just try navigating to the .com URL instead of whatever it would be in Europe? I don't know otherwise though, since it's not a thing I've ever had to really do, sorry. Kato should be able to help though!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the tech support. Catching up on Vigilantes now.

Spoiler: Chapter 20+ Vigilantes spoiler
    Show

Dam Makoto is sharp. Thats almost straight up blackmailing Pop into not making any moves on Crawler if she is allowed a more active role.
    Im certain she dont really have any interest in that regard. Im also just certain she knows Pop is to insecure to know that.

Also, the chapter 27 fight with the 3 Sturn un Drag Brothers were simply hilarious. So much Comedy gold :)
    BWAHAHA! and Icarus falling had me laughting so hard i had trouble breathing
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2018-05-12 at 03:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a question, since Momo (which is way easier to remember than Yaoyo) came up I'd always been wondering if there really are limits to her powers, because her power seems obnoxiously strong. Like, "break the setting" strong. If she studied and practically learned her powers, she'd be able to take down All Might in his Prime at this point. She'd probably be able to even beat All For One, if he didn't have a half century head start on her.

I think her major limiters are Idiot Ball in terms of using her powers with anything even resembling efficiency or finesse, and the facts that Rule Of Cool and Charles Atlas Superpowers are actual physical laws in the setting, diminishing the practicality and usefulness of her quirk.

(It's how I explain Stain and All Might to myself. Stain, despite being perfectly human, can apparently jump 30 feet in the air, and his paltry power meant he should have gotten roflstomped by Iida, Shoto, and Deku, instead of that fight being a standstill. And how All Might is so strong after only 7 holders of his power. The strength of 7 men is a lot, but it's not "punch a 400 pound nomu into orbit" strong.)

Disclaimer: I haven't read any of the manga material, and have only seen the Anime.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2018-05-13 at 10:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    As a question, since Momo (which is way easier to remember than Yaoyo) came up I'd always been wondering if there really are limits to her powers, because her power seems obnoxiously strong. Like, "break the setting" strong. If she studied and practically learned her powers, she'd be able to take down All Might in his Prime at this point. She'd probably be able to even beat All For One, if he didn't have a half century head start on her.

I think her major limiters are Idiot Ball in terms of using her powers with anything even resembling efficiency or finesse, and the facts that Rule Of Cool and Charles Atlas Superpowers are actual physical laws in the setting, diminishing the practicality and usefulness of her quirk.

(It's how I explain Stain and All Might to myself. Stain, despite being perfectly human, can apparently jump 30 feet in the air, and his paltry power meant he should have gotten roflstomped by Kacchan, Shoto, and Deku, instead of that fight being a standstill. And how All Might is so strong after only 7 holders of his power. The strength of 7 men is a lot, but it's not "punch a 400 pound nomu into orbit" strong.)

Disclaimer: I haven't read any of the manga material, and have only seen the Anime.
    Stain is self trained and honed by combat, and the kids are children. He will always have an advantage even if his quirk isn't about making himself super powerful. It's important to also note that Stain does not need to BEAT you, he just needs to hit you, once. The instant that happens you lose because he licks your blood you get paralyzed and then he just kills you. That's incredibly powerful. In a 1v1 fight, even if they knew what his quirk was, Stain would be a horrifying opponent to face.

One For All's power growth is exponential, not lateral. He doesn't have the power of seven men, he has the power of one times two times three times four times five times six times seven. That's probably a lot of men.

Momo's powers are incredibly useful, yeah, but it requires her to know the molecular structure of an object as well as how it's all put together and stuff. She also has to...you know, retain that knowledge in her head. The limits on her quirk are all mental, and that's fascinating to me.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Momo's powers are incredibly useful, yeah, but it requires her to know the molecular structure of an object as well as how it's all put together and stuff. She also has to...you know, retain that knowledge in her head. The limits on her quirk are all mental, and that's fascinating to me.
    Yeah, though given that she can make complex electronics whilst partially incapacitated by sleep gas that restriction isn't too strict.

Momo being quite young is probably the biggest restriction on her powers. There are just things that she doesn't think to do.

Like I'm pretty sure she could pop out a demolition nuke if she needed to, a radio tracking bug is probably more complex than an old 50s/60s device.

She also prefers simple melee weapons where we've already seen that firearms are well within her capabilities.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yeah, though given that she can make complex electronics whilst partially incapacitated by sleep gas that restriction isn't too strict.

Momo being quite young is probably the biggest restriction on her powers. There are just things that she doesn't think to do.

Like I'm pretty sure she could pop out a demolition nuke if she needed to, a radio tracking bug is probably more complex than an old 50s/60s device.

She also prefers simple melee weapons where we've already seen that firearms are well within her capabilities.
    Yeah, that's true. She's a very smart kid!

The other thing is that, legally, she probably has to be careful with her power because she literally invalidates all manufactoring companies for the cost of like five small pizzas. She's a hero, gotta obey the law, and I imagine there's something in place that's like "Hey you can't actually use your power to destroy the infrastructure of the world, that's called being a villain".

24. - Top - End - #174

Flumph

Well the things she produces still have to obey the physics of the world (even if they are, as noted, cartoon physics).

So she can't just pop out a Star Trek replicator or something, the effect is limited to what one person can produce.

Also she tends to go into situations with no prep due to the nature of the narrative, whereas her power becomes exponentially more useful the more time she has to plan.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Well the things she produces still have to obey the physics of the world (even if they are, as noted, cartoon physics).

So she can't just pop out a Star Trek replicator or something, the effect is limited to what one person can produce.

Also she tends to go into situations with no prep due to the nature of the narrative, whereas her power becomes exponentially more useful the more time she has to plan.
    She doesn't need to pop out a replicator because she is a replicator, just not for food.

And yeah the lack of prep is what really balances her out, power level wise.

26. - Top - End - #176

Flumph

She doesn't need to pop out a replicator because she is a replicator, just not for food.

And yeah the lack of prep is what really balances her out, power level wise.
    Yeah, but she can't take over from industrial production on her own, because she can't reproduce her power so she has a fixed upper rate of production which is not high. Like she could probably make a car but it would take her a while.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground

On Momo, I'm not sure what the restrictions are other than mental, and she has to keep all of it in her head, but I'd hit the books 8 hours a day for a couple weeks in a montage instead of "physical training", and that'd do wonders. I know she's got to be kept in check, but I feel so cheated when I see her power, and all she does with it is "A Tarp! Some smoke dolls! A stick!".

Obviously people would probably watch her intensely to make sure she doesn't "break the economy". Her family's rich already even without her, but if it wasn't, she could probably sneakily make a few million without anybody asking questions.

Meanwhile after a couple minutes of brainstorming, I figured out some real stuff she could do. Most of the complexity of a gun is stuff like the handle, the mechanism to put bullets into the barrel, the trigger, the sight, the reloading capacity. Take all that away and what's left is a Barrel, a Bullet, and the Ignition. She could totally make 1-off firecrackers to shoot bullets at people from any direction with the flick of her wrist.

She's capable of all that, though creating it in such a way that it 'immediately' fires may take some thinking. Those are really small and relatively simple things too, so with planning and study, she can have that ready to use on-the-fly.

Elephants like All Might and Endeavor can probably power right through bullets though. That'd be a lot harder (though not impossible given Rule Of Cool) for them to power through if the bullets were laced with cyanide. Granted, her power might have the limitation "may be harmful to generate poisons", but you could get around that either by generating two harmless chemicals that are lethal when mixed, or by generating the cyanide within a capsule to stop it from going into her body on generation, that breaks somehow when in the barrel.

That part is definitely getting into both "really complex and takes a lot of practice" and "Only Villains Do That" territory. I could totally see a 25 year old version of her being a credible Big Bad in an alternate version of BMHA, though.

(You could probably sub the cyanide for a tranquilizer, admittedly, if you wanted to be a hero.)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2018-05-13 at 11:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Stain is self trained and honed by combat, and the kids are children. He will always have an advantage even if his quirk isn't about making himself super powerful. It's important to also note that Stain does not need to BEAT you, he just needs to hit you, once. The instant that happens you lose because he licks your blood you get paralyzed and then he just kills you. That's incredibly powerful. In a 1v1 fight, even if they knew what his quirk was, Stain would be a horrifying opponent to face.

One For All's power growth is exponential, not lateral. He doesn't have the power of seven men, he has the power of one times two times three times four times five times six times seven. That's probably a lot of men.

Well, Stain still does things that require powers he doesn't have. A human can't leap high enough to catch a flying monster, to just point out one obvious thing. But many characters do things humans should not be capable of doing, and it's nat always explained as a smart application of their power.

I don't think we really got an explanation what the math behind OfA is... it might be there is more thought put into it but so far I'll just go with "it's as strong as it needs to be". (sidenote: 7!, which is what you describe leads up to about 5000 men which is... well, I guess about as much as might be needed for his more low key feats. Not quite enough to make a tornado but still.

Momo... I guess it depends a lot on whether you accept the thing with her body weight as a limit (which means she ways more than a cannon...)
    If it exists, there is a pretty clear limit but I guess she could still make a machine gun and supply it with a lot of ammo. Which is about what any person could do by walking around with a machine gun and a lot of ammo. Sure, there are more finesse things to do but... in general, guns are pretty useful.
    If it doesn't exist... yeah, she can make a nuke. Which is super useful when fighting super villains. Because you can easily pinpoint the effect of a nuke....
    Okay, more seriously, yeah, she can do a lot of stuff, though I think at some point it was said the more complicated, the longer it takes (so she can't mass produce guns for her teammates in an instant). But calling the power OP in a combat setting, I'd disagree with. She'll probably learn to make better use of it with time but the pure force of Deku, Katsuki or Shoto... hard to reach.
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #179

Flumph

Given that most quirks are inherited with some variation, it's not unreasonable to suggest that the Yaorozoru family wealth comes at least in part from matter creation.

I was pretty impressed by the matryoshka dolls with flashbangs inside (again, improvised under pressure), that's the sort of thing she should be doing more.

But if she wanted she could be learning the composition of the sleep gas Mustard produced and reproducing that. Except she could deliver it, or tear gas, or riot foam, or more flashbangs, or conventional explosives, by RC drone (because we know she can produce those) or grenade launcher (which is well under the maximum mass and complexity we've seen her produce).

And that's just one type of approach that would be available to her.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

If it doesn't exist... yeah, she can make a nuke. Which is super useful when fighting super villains. Because you can easily pinpoint the effect of a nuke....
    Okay, more seriously, yeah, she can do a lot of stuff, though I think at some point it was said the more complicated, the longer it takes (so she can't mass produce guns for her teammates in an instant). But calling the power OP in a combat setting, I'd disagree with. She'll probably learn to make better use of it with time but the pure force of Deku, Katsuki or Shoto... hard to reach.
    Yeah i kinda agree here. Her power has an immense amount of utility. But i wont call it OP either.

Of course. Its kinda funny. She has an inherent limiter to her power that makes her even weaker than she should be.
    She cant/wont make any real weapons. Because the moment she does so, she shows that something like 95% of all villains could be handled by the police or the army.