New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah i kinda agree here. Her power has an immense amount of utility. But i wont call it OP either.

Of course. Its kinda funny. She has an inherent limiter to her power that makes her even weaker than she should be.
    She cant/wont make any real weapons. Because the moment she does so, she shows that something like 95% of all villains could be handled by the police or the army.
    I mean, not... really? How exactly does a cop nonlethally subdue a perp that can, I dunno, turn gigantic, or turn into sludge, or melt the police car around themselves? The sheer amount of specialized equipment that would be necessary to keep on a just-in-case basis would be ruinous compared to just having people with various counter superpowers on retainer. Heroes are partially self-funding and way cheaper than keeping all sorts of special SWAT stuff in every prefecture.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-05-14 at 01:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I mean, not... really? How exactly does a cop nonlethally subdue a perp that can, I dunno, turn gigantic, or turn into sludge, or melt the police car around themselves? The sheer amount of specialized equipment that would be necessary to keep on a just-in-case basis would be ruinous compared to just having people with various counter superpowers on retainer. Heroes are partially self-funding and way cheaper than keeping all sorts of special SWAT stuff in every prefecture.
    How much "special swat stuff" are we talking here? Tear gas? Riot foam? Gas masks? It seems to me a decent set of equipment should be available at any larger police station or even in cars.
    Yes, Momo has an advantage by being able to have everything at hand, but she is only one person who cannot protect all of Japan. Therefore a well equipped and trained police force might be more expensive but they're not limited to one place. And other heroes.. Can in theory bring along whatever Momo can make. Sure, they need to prepare beforehand but they also get the bonus of their own powers.

Again, Momo has great potential, but lacking any physics breaking bonus ability she's not stronger than the real power houses.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. its quite simple, they make them aware off that if they dont allow themselves to be subdued non-lethally then they are going to be subdued lethally?

I mean, i dont think anyone would bat an eye if someone rampaging down the street with an axe in hand got shot by the cops. Why should it be any different for someone who instead are 10 meter tall and can inflict even more damage?
    And its not like the equipment would be expensive. A high powered rifle and some canisters of liquid nitrogen should solve all those examples. While at the same time being dirt cheap.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Well.. its quite simple, they make them aware off that if they dont allow themselves to be subdued non-lethally then they are going to be subdued lethally?

I mean, i dont think anyone would bat an eye if someone rampaging down the street with an axe in hand got shot by the cops. Why should it be any different for someone who instead are 10 meter tall and can inflict even more damage?
    And its not like the equipment would be expensive. A high powered rifle and some canisters of liquid nitrogen should solve all those examples. While at the same time being dirt cheap.
    ...because in most of the world, the police having "just shooting a dude in the middle of the street" as their Plan A to deal with what appears to be a fairly regular occurrence is not acceptable? Like, I realize that American media has influence, but "eh, whatever, we'll just tell them to come quietly and we'll murder them if they don't immediately comply or if getting them to a secure facility by ourselves would be problematic" is not actually a valid form of policing. And that is the problem. Without specialized equipment, your options are "do nothing" and "shoot the dude and hope he survives and is not crippled for life". But we've seen multiple "normal" level villains that just went around breaking things or perving at people orroughing people up or whatever, and in most places most of those things don't merit a bullet between the eyes.

And I mean, heck. Look in-universe. All For One is clearly being kept alive. And he's a mega-murderer, the primary cause of a societal near-collapse, and easily the single most dangerous being on the planet. This is clearly not a police system that believes in just killing people if they would be inconvenient to stop. Gun is never going to be their Plan A.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    How much "special swat stuff" are we talking here? Tear gas? Riot foam? Gas masks? It seems to me a decent set of equipment should be available at any larger police station or even in cars.
    Yes, Momo has an advantage by being able to have everything at hand, but she is only one person who cannot protect all of Japan. Therefore a well equipped and trained police force might be more expensive but they're not limited to one place. And other heroes.. Can in theory bring along whatever Momo can make. Sure, they need to prepare beforehand but they also get the bonus of their own powers.

Again, Momo has great potential, but lacking any physics breaking bonus ability she's not stronger than the real power houses.
    I'm arguing a different thing, actually. I guess if anything I'm arguing that Momo is not actually that powerful, seeing how the main thrust here is that no, her "just making a gun" would not "solve 95% of villains", at least not in a manner that would let her still be a heroic character.

Her main advantage over the average police dept is that she can just make the specialized equipment she might need in-situ, instead of needing to requisition beforehand and hope they didn't miss any eventualities, which is a really useful power for someone who wants to be a super cop, but not a thing to catapult one to the top of any "power ranking" if one cares about such things.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-05-14 at 08:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

...because in most of the world, the police having "just shooting a dude in the middle of the street" as their Plan A to deal with what appears to be a fairly regular occurrence is not acceptable? Like, I realize that American media has influence, but "eh, whatever, we'll just tell them to come quietly and we'll murder them if they don't immediately comply or if getting them to a secure facility by ourselves would be problematic" is not actually a valid form of policing. And that is the problem. Without specialized equipment, your options are "do nothing" and "shoot the dude and hope he survives and is not crippled for life". But we've seen multiple "normal" level villains that just went around breaking things or perving at people orroughing people up or whatever, and in most places most of those things don't merit a bullet between the eyes.
    Your missing something rather relevant. Im not from America. I dislike their media. But your also setting up quite the strawman there. Just to start with the bit about getting them to a secure facility is 100 % your own contribution. It has nothing to do with the bit i responded to.

And honestly. I do think power comes with responsibility. If your born with a lethal weapon, like a lot of quirks are. Then its also your responsibility to use it properly. If you instead use it to rampage down the street smashing things, then i do think it lands solely on your shoulders if you, after repeated instructions to surrender, and a warning shot into the air, ends up getting shot because you insisted on resisting arrest.

I am from a part of the world where the police carry firearms. And they are allowed to use them when their life is in danger. It happens extremely rarely. Like only once or twice each year because they have been trained to de-escelate a situation instead of just pulling and shooting like some other places. But sometimes it does happen someone runs around in the street waving a butcher knife or an axe. And in those cases i do think its fair that the police ends up shooting them when they attack, instead of sending someone with a staff in to try and disarm them.

Honestly a lot of the "villains" we have seen could be defeated by an old man with a pair of knuckledusters, so for all of those a taser would do the job fine. Im not talking about the idiots running around flipping skirts.
    But of the ones who can cause enough collatoral damage just in their rampage that the pose a risk of the life of others.

And I mean, heck. Look in-universe. All For One is clearly being kept alive. And he's a mega-murderer, the primary cause of a societal near-collapse, and easily the single most dangerous being on the planet. This is clearly not a police system that believes in just killing people if they would be inconvenient to stop. Gun is never going to be their Plan A.
    Those things are not connected. my country dont have the death penalty any longer. Not even for the beastial murderer who actually deserves it. But our police do have guns all the same. And do end up shooting a couple people every year.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, the sketchy nature of some of this chapter is because a weekly schedule is murder. Black Clover's had a couple chapters like this recently, and I'm guessing the Golden Week break must of hit Horikoshi harder than most so some of this chapter is unfinished art wise. The tankoban will finish it up though, so look forward to that!

That said, I really like this concert. It's super emotional! And it's clear Bakugo and Todoroki took what they learnt from the license exam make up test here, combining quirks with everyone to create a wonderful show. This'll look amazing in the anime.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Not much to say, though.
    I'd really wish to see the entirety of the play, still. It's probably hilarious how much they can steal from wherever.
    Gentle and Aiba might get another chance in the future..
    The beauty contest... I'll be honest... I didn't care for, somehow.
    And... it might be just me but... did Eri de-age? I felt like she was like 11 when she first showed up but now I feel more like she's 5... though, it might just be my imagination.
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

New chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

And... it might be just me but... did Eri de-age? I felt like she was like 11 when she first showed up but now I feel more like she's 5... though, it might just be my imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's apparently smaller in this episode, but that's also because everyone's standing up now not in action poses.

I always pegged her as being pretty young compared to Deku, who is only ~15 remember.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Hm.. Probably it's just my memory playing tricks on me. I know she's younger but I recall her being at least a meter or so tall, but that one panel makes her look half Deku's height. It just seems smaller than she was in my head.
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think she's around 8 yo... At that age, most kids are roughly half as tall as they'll be as adults.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I think she's around 8 yo... At that age, most kids are roughly half as tall as they'll be as adults.
    Not to argue too much but... By personal experience and any data I can find that is a very rough estimate. From personal experience and anything a quick search online tells me, 8 year olds (even in Japan) are already around or taller than 1m. And assuming most people don't grow up to 2m, that would put them at about 2/3 or more. if she is 8 she's small for her age (which of course could be true)
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-05-19 at 11:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not to argue too much but... By personal experience and any data I can find that is a very rough estimate. From personal experience and anything a quick search online tells me, 8 year olds (even in Japan) are already around or taller than 1m. And assuming most people don't grow up to 2m, that would put them at about 2/3 or more. if she is 8 she's small for her age (which of course could be true)
    Might be... That's just a rough estimate based on observation by some of my family members. Maybe I'm remembering the age wrong, or maybe it's just nonsense someone made up and my family members and I believed...

EDIT: Asked my father (who told me that). Apparently the "half height" age is 2~4 yo. He just told me that when my nephew was 8 yo, so I associated it with wrong age. It still isn't anything scientific, though. ;)

With that in mind... Yeah, Eri is probably 4~6 yo. Which I guess matches her personality and behavior... I can't really tell the psychological differences between a 5 yo and an 8 yo. :P
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-05-19 at 11:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's more reasonable.
    Preteen kids actually change a lot and fast early on but I also have a hard time guessing a child's age.. She just felt older when she was introduced maybe because of what she went through.
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #194

Question for fans of the anime/manga. Where do you personally rank this one for quality? By which I mean more sheer enjoyment of the series. Does it have a shot at eventually rising up to meet the "big three" of naruto bleach and one piece? (Even though only one of those is still going) Is it a decent middling anime? One worth watching, but not one worth going to a con dressed as all might.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Question for fans of the anime/manga. Where do you personally rank this one for quality? By which I mean more sheer enjoyment of the series. Does it have a shot at eventually rising up to meet the "big three" of naruto bleach and one piece? (Even though only one of those is still going) Is it a decent middling anime? One worth watching, but not one worth going to a con dressed as all might.
    Dude, what, you serious? Be real Traab, MHA shoots right past Bleach and One Piece and leaves them far behind, and is better than even Naruto. Holy Shonen Trinity ain't got nothing on it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Dude, what, you serious? Be real Traab, MHA shoots right past Bleach and One Piece and leaves them far behind, and is better than even Naruto. Holy Shonen Trinity ain't got nothing on it.
    I havent watched the series, just caught a few bits here and there that honestly made it look really good. The full fight against nomu and such for example. It had excellent use of all the standard tropes for this sort of anime and did them really well. "If you were designed to defeat me at 100% then I will just have to give 110%!" etc etc etc. I love the whole superhero angle of it as it helps it to stand out from ninja/pirate/shinigami. I was just curious about how well you fans would rank it with the big names of the genre.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I havent watched the series, just caught a few bits here and there that honestly made it look really good. The full fight against nomu and such for example. It had excellent use of all the standard tropes for this sort of anime and did them really well. "If you were designed to defeat me at 100% then I will just have to give 110%!" etc etc etc. I love the whole superhero angle of it as it helps it to stand out from ninja/pirate/shinigami. I was just curious about how well you fans would rank it with the big names of the genre.
    I can say this 100% surity, and as someone who actually really likes One Piece and thinks it probably gets a bad wrap nowadays due to being a bit too drawn out sometimes.

My Hero Academia is my favorite action shonen series bar none. Very few, if any, series reach the heights My Hero does. Every arc, even the worst ones, at least approaches the world on the level of how the Zabuza Arc from Naruto did. That is the standards My Hero has going for it. So yeah, I'd say it's PRETTY DAMN GOOD.

Also while I'm here, new Vigilantes!

Spoiler
    Show
    Time skip of a couple months I think, and it turns out not MUCH has really changed, except villains are getting nastier. Still cute a chapter.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-05-19 at 04:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. i would rank it around Naruto and Bleach in their absolute prime, a bit behind OP.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Not having seen Naruto or OP in a while or any of Bleach except the first episode or so...
    Hero is better than Naruto on average, but I'd say Naruto's best is still a bit better. I'll still put OP a good margin above it. Hero is a great story and can keep up with Oda's work but it never reaches the same heights for me.

Yeah, new vigilantes is nice but not really much to say... I guess you could argue about CC' complaint or guess what weapon Crawler might use but... I don't think I need to.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Naruto had bad filler arcs. And it went too "god-like" at the end. I don't think the main character of Hero Academia is gonna be like that in the end. Also, way less annoying then Naruto was.

I cant handle One Piece so I cant compare to it. It's just too silly for me.

Their is no bad episode of Hero Academia. Even the loser characters (Im looking at you Grape Juice) induce strong emotions, so it does something right.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-05-19 at 06:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

My Hero Academia is more consistently good than all recent shonen, in my opinion. And I would argue that a few really great moments (Deku vs Todoroki, All Might vs All For One, Mirio/Nighteye/Deku vs Overhaul and the scenes with Nighteye in the hospital...) are on par with some of the best moments of One Piece (my other current favorite).

Right now, One Piece still has the best moment for me (the chapter where they declare war on the World Government), and it has managed to stay very good for more than twenty years, with only relatively minor faults, which is a freaking enormous achievement. But My Hero Academia, if it lives to its full potential (which I think it will, since the author seems to have a pretty solid structure already in mind for the whole story), can definitely take a place in the shonen big leagues.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-05-20 at 03:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

To answer the questions of Eri being so small: she's wearing different clothing. You look different depending on what you wear. That's all. Also Mirio copying her movements when she is talking about the concert was REALLY fantastic. It's so adorable!

This festival day was really quite fantastic. The beauty pageant was cute, seeing Shinso appear as a jump scare in his class's haunted house was great, it's all super cute and good. And we end with a really cute finish with Gentle, being told that...hey, he'll probably be able to make a turn around. That's nice. Also, GORILLA MAN.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Right now, One Piece still has the best moment for me (the chapter where they declare war on the World Government), and it has managed to stay very good for more than twenty years, with only relatively minor faults, which is a freaking enormous achievement. But My Hero Academia, if it lives to its full potential (which I think it will, since the author seems to have a pretty solid structure already in mind for the whole story), can definitely take a place in the shonen big leagues.
    For me the best moment was either at the end of thriller park where both Zorro and Sanji were ready to give up their life and dreams in direct trade for Luffys.
    Or the scene where Kuma trashed the entire SH crew.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

For me the best moment was either at the end of thriller park where both Zorro and Sanji were ready to give up their life and dreams in direct trade for Luffys.
    Or the scene where Kuma trashed the entire SH crew.
    See, the thing is OP is full of great moments. Yes, it had years to do so but Oda delivers again and again. I don't say Kohei can't possibly do the same but until he does, I'll prefer Oda.

Also apparently there will be a Hero Academia movie opening on my birthday . Rumor has it will talk about Yoshinori's past.. I hope we'll get some translated version soon.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I changed my mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wyz6X_NnKQ

This is the most epic moment in OP :P
    Even though i think prefer the original dialog, not the new one in the subbed episode here.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter. Fun all around, or at least for the most part.

Spoiler
    Show

I feel like a room in the teacher office is... A weird place to put Eri. I get she needs to be somewhere but... Then again it also makes me wonder if there never before was a kid with dangerous uncontrolled powers and what they usually do in that case.

Also, bringing the ***** cats back at this time feels weird, unless there is more coming with them.
    And the shot of AfO's prison just makes me wonder how exactly they keep him imprisoned...

The hero parade is cool, especially Endeavor's new costume. Just... It feels weird we never heard of most of them, some guys are really strange (a washing machine?!) and... How hard do you have to work to be #2 if your power is being an oversized chicken?

"What's done is done."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

How hard do you have to work to be #2 if your power is being an oversized chicken?
    Its likely more how smart do you need to work at it. The rankings are based on #resolved incidents, contribution to society and public approval.

Personally i think its kinda dumb, since at heart is mostly just a big popularity contest.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Barbarian in the Playground

Its likely more how smart do you need to work at it. The rankings are based on #resolved incidents, contribution to society and public approval.

Personally i think its kinda dumb, since at heart is mostly just a big popularity contest.
    Which honestly says a hell of a lot about how competent Endeavour actually is, to be in the top spot despite basically everyone hating him

29. - Top - End - #209

It really does.

Also number 2 being a hawk man is hilarious to me. Just a birdmen. His power? Bird.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I think there are a lot of faulty assumptions here.
    Firstly. Do we actually have anything to support that everyone in universe hates Endevor?
    And we dont have any knowlede of what power set the #2 hero actually has.
    (lastly i think the rating stuff is kinda dumb. Oh gods. Could anyone imagine the same being done to policemen? no?)