New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I think there are a lot of faulty assumptions here.
    Firstly. Do we actually have anything to support that everyone in universe hates Endevor?
    And we dont have any knowlede of what power set the #2 hero actually has.
    (lastly i think the rating stuff is kinda dumb. Oh gods. Could anyone imagine the same being done to policemen? no?)
    A lot of people have given side comments of Endeavor being kinda nasty or otherwise not being super keen on him. Endeavor has also mentioned he feels way more pressured.

I'm joking because he's just called Hawk and he just has bird wings that we can see. One of my favorites is Tokoyami and as far as you can tell his power is just bird as well. Still funny to make the joke.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: My Hero Academia 2: I will endeavor to become a thread you can be proud of

Indeed, most people don't know Endeavor true personnality. They like him based on his accomplishement and looks only. Its one of the reason he is so popular, he get things done.

We didnt even see what is Spinner power yet and he looks like a lizardman. Don't assume one quirk based on looks lol!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-05-29 at 02:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's been pretty well established Endeavor is (used to be) quite a prick. Yeah, he was #2 for probably a while through his hard work but it's hard to believe he projected a different image than what we got from him. I mean, probably not as obviously cruel but still not exactly likable. Of course, enough people will ignore that if you're cool / successful. But it seems he has done what he promised Shoto he would do, so...

Okay, yes, some quirks do work in their own way, but Hawk still seems... Kind of unspectalucar for the new #2 (also, I don't think we ever heard his name before) In the end, if his power really is just flight, he's no different from perv angel from Vigilantes, so he sure had to work hard to fight criminals with way stronger powers. Or he is like Tokoyami and he actually has another set of crazy powers.
    (sidenote: I wonder if Healing Girl and Gran Torino's dwarfism is also part of their powers or if xxx years in the future Japanese old people are still small)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I think it's been pretty well established Endeavor is (used to be) quite a prick. Yeah, he was #2 for probably a while through his hard work but it's hard to believe he projected a different image than what we got from him. I mean, probably not as obviously cruel but still not exactly likable. Of course, enough people will ignore that if you're cool / successful. But it seems he has done what he promised Shoto he would do, so...

Okay, yes, some quirks do work in their own way, but Hawk still seems... Kind of unspectalucar for the new #2 (also, I don't think we ever heard his name before) In the end, if his power really is just flight, he's no different from perv angel from Vigilantes, so he sure had to work hard to fight criminals with way stronger powers. Or he is like Tokoyami and he actually has another set of crazy powers.
    (sidenote: I wonder if Healing Girl and Gran Torino's dwarfism is also part of their powers or if xxx years in the future Japanese old people are still small)
    Both of them have powers that could easily cause the body to fall apart (Recovery Girl probably wears her body out healing people too, and Gran Torino's got hollow bones) so I could see it being a mix of side effects and just natural aging.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Bear in mind that extremely small people are not uncommon in the series. There's also Mineta and La Brava.

It's just a thing which exists, like people with animal features that aren't related to their powers like Tokoyami and whatever Koga is supposed to look like.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Bear in mind that extremely small people are not uncommon in the series. There's also Mineta and La Brava.

It's just a thing which exists, like people with animal features that aren't related to their powers like Tokoyami and whatever Koga is supposed to look like.
    Well, Mineta could still be waiting for the growth spurt Aiba I guess is harder to argue..

Hm.. Why did Tokoyami have some black wing/arm hybrids in my memory? Now I wonder what their parents look like.. Is one of his parents a bird, too?
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #217

Well, Mineta could still be waiting for the growth spurt Aiba I guess is harder to argue..

Hm.. Why did Tokoyami have some black wing/arm hybrids in my memory? Now I wonder what their parents look like.. Is one of his parents a bird, too?
    Going by what we know about quirks, potentially bordering on probably. One of his parents has "is a bird" quirk, one of his parents has some shadow related quirk, and together that forms to create DARK SHADOW.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

I always thought that somebody in Tokoyami's family tree had a bird quirk, but by the time it reached Tokoyami it's just that he's inherited feathers and a beak as a natural part of his genetics without any of the weird quirk chemicals. His actual quirk is his psychic bird shadow.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Which returns to the point that physical characteristics are not necessarily produced by a quirk. Likewise, Koda looks like Ben Grimm's grandson but his quirk is "Disney Princess".

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Which returns to the point that physical characteristics are not necessarily produced by a quirk. Likewise, Koda looks like Ben Grimm's grandson but his quirk is "Disney Princess".
    So should we assume that there were people who looked weird before quirks appeared? I feel it's more like quirks mixing so much people have more than one naturally.

Also, forgot to comment on the new chapter because stuff. Nice speeches given by all but.. While Endeavor's was rallying in a way I feel like I would have liked something with more substance. But then I'm boring like that.
    Also, still irritated we never heard of Hawk before, especially with these new reveals.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #221

Spoiler
    Show
    I also would of liked to hear more about Hawk before hand, but I think we'll probably touch on why during this next arc.

Also, High-End! A powerful and creepy looking Noumu. This'll be interesting. But yeah, just a fun little set up chapter that shows how the hero world is reacting to All Might's being gone.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Nice chapter. We both get a better idea of why #1 and #2 earned their spots.
    Hawk got an insane degree of situational awareness.
    And Endevor got a Quirk control thats just brutal. Moving by jet power? oh god..

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice chapter. We both get a better idea of why #1 and #2 earned their spots.
    Hawk got an insane degree of situational awareness.
    And Endevor got a Quirk control thats just brutal. Moving by jet power? oh god..

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, also psychokinetic feathers. I'm sorry for calling you a huge chicken, Hawk. I like you now

But... that's a curious coincidence, Nomu showing up then and there....
    "What's done is done."

14. - Top - End - #224

Ok so, I just now, finally got to watch the clip where midoriya gets his acceptance to the school. Holy hannah that was an emotional scene! First when she tried to give him some of her points, then when it was refused, then the final twist, rescue points! That last scene, All Might holding his hand out to the screen as if reaching for his hand saying, "Come young Midoriya, this is... your hero academia!" Its so impressive how these anime can be so well written, acted, whatever, that even someone like me, someone who has not watched the series, just collections of scenes (with frequent cuts) can still create the emotional moment is awesome. "How can a hero course reject people who save others and do the right thing?" indeed. Such hype, much joy.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to raise the notion that Hawks is new best boy.

And by raise the notion, I mean declare it to be absolute truth which stuffing my ears and ignoring any dissenting opinions.

That's how this works, right?
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-06-09 at 03:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: recent vigilantes
    Show

Cute chapter. I guess Koichi is getting better and better at whatever his actual quirk is. But that sure was a risky way to test it out.
    Also, the scene with Fatgum made me smile, especially when he gave the criminal the takoyaki. Heh.

Also... I guess Pop and Koichi can't get away from the trouble. Oh well, no pause for the vigilantes.

Also, wasn't aware season three was airing / progressed so far. Guess I'll have to catch up once I have the time... It's gotta be good, after all.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    I'd like to raise the notion that Hawks is new best boy.

And by raise the notion, I mean declare it to be absolute truth which stuffing my ears and ignoring any dissenting opinions.

That's how this works, right?
    Not gonna lie. You're not wrong.

New chapters! And thanks Kato for mentioning Vigilantes, I didn't get an email alert for it yet. But yes, first the new My Hero proper.
    Spoiler
    Show

I ****ing loved this chapter. Hawks showed his feather shooting, we got a really good look at just WHY he's so popular, we got to see Endeavor doing his best and realizing that he's built up such a reputation, it'll be hard for him to actually come across as NICE and that's a really fascinating thing. Endeavor is someone who is very clearly AN ASS HOLE and everyone, even his fans, can tell. And now that he wants to get away from that, he's facing blow back.

Also, given the name drop of the book and someone being inspired by it and stuff, I am like 90% sure we're gonna see Destro at some point, sooner rather than later. He is this universe's Magneto, to a degree, and I wanna see what he can do. Also yeah no it's super suspicious that the flying goop Noumu attacked right here, right now. He's gonna get his **** pushed in though because JESUS CHRIST Endeavor can make his flames act like jet engines. Really good chapter!

Now for Vigilantes!

Spoiler
    Show
    Another good one. I loved seeing Koichi learn he can stick to stuff, especially because it's...something I sorta thought he could ALREADY do just because of the logistics of how his power works. It's cute seeing these people learn aspects of their quirks that should be obvious, if only they got the training for it.

Seeing Fat Gum is always a treat since he is precious and good. Koichi saved his takoyaki! And gasp, he's spying on the idol concert due to possible drug smuggling. I wonder if we'll see that our heroes are Vigilantes instead, and what problems that'll cause.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I totally forgot about that joke on the opening page... I wonder if we'll get to see more of him or if this was a fake out...
    But I guess we'll have to learn something about destro at some point. A book store advertising his autobiography like this is still weird... Like if you sold Mein Kampf that way weird.

I guess Endeavor will never quite achieve what he wants, or it will take a dang long time. Changing your image like that (for the better) is hard. Or should be, anyway.

I also felt like Koichi already ran up buildings, to a point, so this shouldn't be as much of a surprise. Still cute.
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #229

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    A lot of people I know are expressing...concern over what's going on with Endeavor. I totally get that, but I disagree. Endeavor is doing his best to be better, he GENUINELY realizes he's a ****ty person and wants to make amends. I do believe that.

Also, "less flying, more 'not falling' " is a brilliant way of describing the way Endeavor flies. We also get a better look at Hawk's actual quirk, FIERCE FEATHERS. Which allows him to control, at will, individually, every single feather on his wings. Which is um...a lot. A lot. They're also realy POWERFUL feathers, a single feather can carry a single person.

Also the art of Highgrade is ****ing disgusting, they almost sliced his head off and he's just smiling as he regenerates oh my godddddd.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, sorry Hawk, you're not an oversized chicken, you're an OP chicken seriously, this is definitely one of the most powerful quirks so far.
    It's strange a character like Endeavor getting such a lot of development in a story focused on the students. I'm not exactly complaining it's just uncommon it seems.
    Also, yeah, the nomu design is creepy.
    Last edited by Kato; 2018-06-19 at 12:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's strange a character like Endeavor getting such a lot of development in a story focused on the students. I'm not exactly complaining it's just uncommon it seems.
    In a way, the Endeavor side-arc will both develop one of the major players in the world, while elaborating on the meaning of the "Symbol of Hope" that separated All-Might above all the others (including and especially Endeavor) in the previous hero rankings--which also helps along the greater "story of how Midoriya becomes the #1 Hero" plotline.

22. - Top - End - #232

Is it ever explained why all might uses states as names for his attacks? Just curious. Loved watching the UNITED AH STATES OF AH SUMAAAAAAASH!!!!!!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Is it ever explained why all might uses states as names for his attacks? Just curious. Loved watching the UNITED AH STATES OF AH SUMAAAAAAASH!!!!!!
    Because America is the birth place of Super Heroes and he wants to be a symbol. It's an iconic theme for him, basically.

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because America is the birth place of Super Heroes and he wants to be a symbol. It's an iconic theme for him, basically.
    Ah ok, I wasnt aware of that part. As ive said before, most of my interaction with the series is through watching clips at random so im missing a lot of backstory. I didnt even know america was even mentioned other than with these attack names. Thanks.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was actually quite surprised when I learned All Might was Japanese. At first I thought he was American and lived in Japan for whatever reason.
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    But China is the birthplace of superheroes

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    But China is the birthplace of superheroes
    India sees your Sun Wukong and raises you a Hanuman.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    India sees your Sun Wukong and raises you a Hanuman.
    Im not a history expert but a certain someone changed water to wine and walked on water. Does that count?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Im not a history expert but a certain someone changed water to wine and walked on water. Does that count?
    I'm sorry but Gilgamesh is known as one of the first stories of a human killing mythical monsters and making journeys to the underworld and has superhuman strength so.....if anything, Sumeria invented the superhero. and its just been a concept as old as human history.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Did any of those people wear capes and underwear to fight crime? Probably not super heroes then.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.