New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​V: No Solicitors!

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    A question for future builds I might try:

We normally start with an elite array.

But how to calculate mental stats for a creature that gets awakened somewhere during the build?
    There's no easy answer for that, and it's a question I've pondered myself.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    There's no easy answer for that, and it's a question I've pondered myself.
    One option is to have a comp policy on any awakened creatures being treated as having a template that gives them the augmented subtype and +1 CR.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly I say we should create an "inherited Template" that we use for the competitions. One for animals, vermin, plants, oozes, undead, and constructs. One that we throw in the description of the future Competitions in the future as a spoilered thing.

Spoiler: Awakened Creature
    Show

"Awakened Creature" is an inherited template that can be applied to any Animal, Ooze, Vermin, Undead, Plant, or Construct with Intelligence 2 or less.
    An Awakened Creature uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    An awakened Animal has it's intelligence set to 10, gains +2 charisma, and +2 Hit Dice. It's type changes to Magical Beast [Augmented Animal]

someone help me flesh that out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Honestly I say we should create an "inherited Template" that we use for the competitions. One for animals, vermin, plants, oozes, undead, and constructs. One that we throw in the description of the future Competitions in the future as a spoilered thing.

Spoiler: Awakened Creature
    Show

"Awakened Creature" is an inherited template that can be applied to any Animal, Ooze, Vermin, Undead, Plant, or Construct with Intelligence 2 or less.
    An Awakened Creature uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    An awakened Animal has it's intelligence set to 10, gains +2 charisma, and +2 Hit Dice. It's type changes to Magical Beast [Augmented Animal]

someone help me flesh that out?
    I don't see why it shouldn't be Acquired, though. Being the child of two awakened animals doesn't make you an awakened animal yourself.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another question: Any erratas I should be aware of that could turn up important?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on the book
    MM3 had a heavy amount of errata for the monsters within.
    MM2 had a full update for every monster for the 3.5 rules.
    Fiend Folio just updated crafting costs and DR for the monsters, creating a few oddities.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #157

And where best to look for those? I've tried, especially for MM1, but kept getting redirected to V ed.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    And where best to look for those? I've tried, especially for MM1, but kept getting redirected to V ed.
    There's an archive with most of the errata and 3.5 updates here, though off the top of my head it's missing the Monsters of Faerun update from the PGtF Web Enhancment, and perhaps a handful of others.

As far as MMI goes, I think that d20srd is up to date, unless you're worried about product identity stuff.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2018-03-30 at 08:30 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry for being late, this is taking considerably longer than what I though and I haven't found as much time to get to it as I expected. I am currently judging the Elegance category, and am done with 8 builds out of 13. However, I expect it to be the longest category to judge of them all, so I'm not losing hope
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

From Judge to judge, thanks for persevering.

What competition theme(s) are you excited about?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunno...a duo of villains seems cool. I rather liked the whole list that was tossed around at some point.

Ah, yes, I also had another idea: the McGuffin villain. The idea is to have a villain built around a specific McGuffin. The PCs must absolutely prevent it from getting its hands on the McGuffin/ find and use the McGuffin in order to defeat the villain/ other. Either the villain does not know where the McGuffin is (in which case it has to be good at detection) or knows and hides it (it must be competent at keeping the PCs at bay) or maybe another way around it. Then, the villain has a crippling weakness to said McGuffin, or maybe becomes unbelievably powerful if it manages to get its hands on it, etc etc. Since a lot of campaigns resort to a McGuffin at some point or another, that'd be a round full of very useful and applicable villains for a lot of DMs I think
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

We appreciate your efforts remetagross!

I think McGuffin villain would be a pretty interesting concept. Villain seeking to be reunited with their lost item is a real classic.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #163

Bumping because page 4

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry folks, I'm not done yet, and I haven't given up either. Tell you what: let's start the next comp by the end of the week, regardless of whether I'm done or not, so as not to let things drag on too much. How about that Inevitability?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

I could definitely do that.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to make an announcement:

I have chaired this competition for some time now, and while it's been great seeing the creative and diverse builds people came up with, I do find myself wishing I could participate again. For that reason, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take over the mantle of chair.

I will obviously still be finishing up this competition once a judge presents themselves (if there's multiple people who want to chair, perhaps the one to present judgements gets to?). The new chair could start the next round before that, of course.

I'd also like to thank all competitors, judges, or fans for being involved in this competition. The reason it's awesome is because of you.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

while i do love building for VC, I'd be willing to chair it so you can get in on the action as well. I'd probably need a little info on how to do your job though :)
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    while i do love building for VC, I'd be willing to chair it so you can get in on the action as well. I'd probably need a little info on how to do your job though :)
    Well basically it amounts to:

1. Making a new thread every so often. I just copy basically everything from the old one, add a few relevant details, and occasionally update the rulings.

2. Receive builds as they are submitted. Very easy: just inform people you received their build.

3. Answer questions. Most of the time these will be 'would doing X cause me to lose points in category Y' and most of the time the answer will be 'that is up to individual judges'.

4. Post builds after deadline has passed, maybe with witticisms.

5. Reveal builds after judging. Same as before, basically.

All in all, it's not a particularly hard job.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #169

DruidGuy

ok :)

I'm currently in book hell making a submission for JYW's. Once I'm done w/ that, assuming no one else wishes to chair, I'll work with you to get the next round going and take over from there.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​V: No Solicitors!

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I would like to make an announcement:

I have chaired this competition for some time now, and while it's been great seeing the creative and diverse builds people came up with, I do find myself wishing I could participate again. For that reason, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take over the mantle of chair.

I will obviously still be finishing up this competition once a judge presents themselves (if there's multiple people who want to chair, perhaps the one to present judgements gets to?). The new chair could start the next round before that, of course.

I'd also like to thank all competitors, judges, or fans for being involved in this competition. The reason it's awesome is because of you.
    Thanks for all of your efforts, Inevitability; I know first-hand how demanding chairing one of these can be.

21. - Top - End - #171

DruidGuy

Pm sent

extra characters for no reason than forum requires them to thus exist.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

DruidGuy

Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Still waiting for a judge here! Someone? Anyone?

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it possible for the chair to judge our entries? I'd hate for there to have never been a judge, and with it being Inevitability's last time for the foreseeable future as chair, I think it would be appropriate that he can judge this one if he wants to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I still have 4 entries to deal with in Power, and then all of Memorability. And then, some formatting and harmonizing.

I takes me about an hour to deal with one category of one entry. Judges, is that normal? I've worked about 35 hours on that judgement already...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    I still have 4 entries to deal with in Power, and then all of Memorability. And then, some formatting and harmonizing.

I takes me about an hour to deal with one category of one entry. Judges, is that normal? I've worked about 35 hours on that judgement already...
    That seems excessive. You could cut that time in half and just let disputes do the other half of the work.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

That is considerably more time than I spent on it when I judged in the past.

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree.

Unless the entries are REALLY complicated I spend around 10 minutes on Power and Elegance each, and 5-10 on the other 2 eachish.....

Of course, if you have to look uop a lot this goes up massively.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

29. - Top - End - #179

DruidGuy

i usually just do 1 build at a time, instead of 1 category at a time. unless i have to book dive, or clarify the details, it usually takes me 30-45 mins a build. so 35 hours seems like an insane amount of time, especially if you're only half done
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, points duly noted. I need to revamp the way I'm dealing with the judgements. Thanks for the answers.