New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Solo! First! Trailer! Superbowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    We knew that Rogue One would succeed. They still made their journey an interesting one.
    In spite of themselves. Seriously, the suits tried to destroy that movie, i swear to god.

As for the trailer....im not conceived by Han...he just doenst feel right. Glover seems closer to Lando (spiritually, which is how im comparing it) than whatshisname does to Han, the attitude just doesnt seem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

We knew that Rogue One would succeed. They still made their journey an interesting one.
    Eh Depends on your perspective. I found their Journey Redundant, and kinda dull (Not because of tone but everything else).

It was everything I expected to happen. Outside of the ending but it wasn't like a movie changing thing. It was just something that happened.

You can pad the universe out with a billion more of these stories but they all fail in my mind because they don't mesh with a whole in my opinion. They are...OK as supplementary material, but supplementary material rarely fits as movies.
    Movies have certain structure that enables supplementary material. But when the whole universe is just made of movies it feels illogical and artificial.
    Movies are structured about a generally short period of time with certain specific rising beats and drops (And for a reason, see TLJ for an example of "Subverting" this structure). And thats good for a movie, but not great for inbetweeny stuff.

In a sense the same basic flaw happens over and over: This is all just guff to the most important story this would all eventually lead towards in the Form of the OT

All these supplementary films are just the re-heated leftovers of the OT taken out of the fridge. And you can do some neat stuff with leftovers, but they generally suffer when you serve them up as a main course again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

What you said is why i want them to just g off and do something weird. Like, tell us the story of some Rebel Cell out in the middle of nowhere during the Dark Times or in between ESB and RotJ. We don't know what happens to them and itd be great. Or give us a story about some bounty hunters during the Dark Times, again, more fun cuz you have pretty much pure freedom.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    What you said is why i want them to just g off and do something weird. Like, tell us the story of some Rebel Cell out in the middle of nowhere during the Dark Times or in between ESB and RotJ. We don't know what happens to them and itd be great. Or give us a story about some bounty hunters during the Dark Times, again, more fun cuz you have pretty much pure freedom.
    I wholly agree. They have an entire universe to play around in, they should use it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I can understand a new story having a negative impact on how you view another story.

After all I hated what Rogue One did to the narrative of A New Hope. However I don't really see how knowing a characters ultimate end means you can't enjoy tales with them.

Knowing that Arthur goes to Avalon doesn't mean box can't read or watch any Arthurian tales.

Mass Effect 3 doesn't make ME 1 any better or worse.

All characters have their end somewhere. Knowing it shouldn't affect enjoyment of their tales.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I wholly agree. They have an entire universe to play around in, they should use it.
    A political thriller about Mon Mothma's last days in the Imperial Senate

7. - Top - End - #67

If they made an Enemy-Of-The-State style Star Wars movie, I would... I don't even know.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post

Mass Effect 3 doesn't make ME 1 any better or worse.
    No, but it does worsen the trilogy. If the trilogy is predicated on certain ideas and mechanics, and those are betrayed in the last segment, then the series itself becomes worthless.

If you want to enjoy Star Wars as just a singular self contained story, then that one film won't be tarnished, unless you don't like edited re-releases, which is another argument entirely. But if you like Star Wars as a series, then the direction of the series matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Who were stupid enough to vote him dictatorial powers and then applauded him when he declared himself Emperor.

Frankly as governments go it was a significantly more legitimate takeover than a decent percentage of governments that are in existence right now on Earth.
    Touche.

But then again I don't respect the prequels for those very same scenes (plus a few others). The OT does best on its own.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

No they don't. So far in terms of creativity, they have been UTTERLY shackled to the OT. How about do a risky step forward?

If Star Wars of the past was as shackled to the visual ideas of its time as the current movies are to its series we would have never even gotten the Tie Fighter.
    A little condescending

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

That would actually be really interesting if done well.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    No they don't. So far in terms of creativity, they have been UTTERLY shackled to the OT. How about do a risky step forward?

If Star Wars of the past was as shackled to the visual ideas of its time as the current movies are to its series we would have never even gotten the Tie Fighter.
    Which is why I was truly upset by Battlefront 2. I thought we'd get a story about an Imperial Agent and what happened during the fall of the Empire. Instead we just get another story with the Rebels.

13. - Top - End - #73

No they don't. So far in terms of creativity, they have been UTTERLY shackled to the OT.
    .... Yes, they do. That they don't use it is exactly what I'm complaining about.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-02-06 at 08:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

It took the Legends EU a long time to move out from the shadow of the OT. The KOTOR Era began in a series of comics which very few people read, then it got inserted backhandedly into the novel storyline when KJA started playing with Exan Kun's ghost, but it was still very much an also-ran idea until KOTOR came out in 2003, which was over a decade after Heir to the Empire launched the major expansion of the Legends EU in 1991. Once KOTOR proved mass-market stories in different eras were viable it was off to the races, and by the time the Legends EU was shuttered slightly more than a decade later it had expanded to encompass seven so-called 'publishing eras' with stories set as far back as before the Republic's founding (Dawn of the Jedi) and well into the future (the Legacy comics) and pretty much everywhere in between.

Disney axed the Legends EU and now they have to go through the process of reestablishing everything all over again and this time they have to decide what to bring back versus what to discard and they clearly aren't prepared to move on to new eras yet. I certainly don't think they've figured out how to explain to the mass audience how KOTOR isn't canon in the event they create some new Old Republic universe (Star Wars video games have a much, much larger audience than books or comics) and I also believe they are waiting on SWTOR to die. I also don't think that they quite realize that while they may have said the Legends EU isn't canon, all of the hardcore fans still know those stories and aren't particularly eager to go over that same ground again. Especially if the new material isn't high quality.

Reboots can work, but part of doing a reboot is recognizing that you will be inevitably compared to your predecessor, and if your reboot is bad it will be an unfavorable comparison that may kill your product.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    It took the Legends EU a long time to move out from the shadow of the OT.
    That means absolutely nothing. Is your point they did a reboot to do the exact same stories again anyway with the exact same problems?

The Truth is that they are just uncreative and want nostalgia money. That's it in a Nutshell. Any other thought behind it is pretty much a lie.
    Its Star Wars as Marketted by Disney. It would have made hundreds of millions regardless. But not BILLIONS. Not all the money in the universe in 1 year.

Ultimatly this is something that George Lucas could do and understood. Being not a shareholder he wasn't beholden to the idea of "MAKE ALL THE PROFITS RIGHT NOW! 300% GROWTH EVERY YEAR!".

He made the main dough with the merchandise. Which Disney is not doing well with.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #76

That means absolutely nothing. Is your point they did a reboot to do the exact same stories again anyway with the exact same problems?
    I'm going to single this out.

When the Expanded Universe was getting off the ground, it was new territory. The first film had just come out. The idea of Star Wars as a serious setting with it's own aesthetic was something writers didn't really understand to a great extent. It took a few years after the original trilogy ended for writers and artists to even begin getting a feel for it. Lucas didn't make it easier either since he was actively locking off large segments of the timeline for future movies. The brand basically bottomed out financially at one point in the mid 80's and content trickled to a crawl. Getting Star Wars to the point where it even could produce that material was a long struggle of trial and error.

Disney has exactly none of those problems. Lucas no longer has veto power. Most of the timeline is freed up except for the bits directly between the OT and ST, and even that isn't a hard limit. The money isn't bottomed out even with TLJ underperforming, since billions are being raked in. Star Wars has been around enough that people understand the aesthetic and there's a large amount of existing models to work off of.

You can't use a previous iterations excuses for a current iterations failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

17. - Top - End - #77

If they made an Enemy-Of-The-State style Star Wars movie, I would... I don't even know.
    Think more like The Post meet 1984

18. - Top - End - #78

Think more like The Post meet 1984
    Is The Post out? I want to see it.

Also, don't take away my Enemy of the State-in-Star Wars dream. I can always hope for both.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-02-07 at 10:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

All in my opinion of course.

Rogue One is one of my favorite movies ever.

Force Awakens was really good and would have been great if they had their own McGuffin not just a bigger badder death star.

Last Jedi had some really good scenes but suffered from laziness, nostalgia and absolute lapses of logic which soo easily could have been fixed.

After the trailers I have my hopes up a little bit more for the Han Solo flick. If they can stay away from too much of the reimaged cartoon/James Bond new Star Trek style it will be great.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Force Awakens was really good and would have been great if they had their own McGuffin not just a bigger badder death star.
    TFA did have a MacGuffin - the map that led to Luke.

Granted, it was a stupid MacGuffin that only kinda drove the plot in the way a MacGuffin was supposed to do.

EDIT: also, don't use "MacGuffin" when you mean "climax."
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-02-07 at 01:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Is The Post out? I want to see it.
    Yes. If your location is accurate, you can see it tonight at the Patton Creek 15, Lee Branch 15 or Summit 15. Probably other theaters too, I just checked one site.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yes. If your location is accurate, you can see it tonight at the Patton Creek 15, Lee Branch 15 or Summit 15. Probably other theaters too, I just checked one site.
    Normally when I see movies I hop on over to Huntsville for the luxury cinemas they got. Though normally I only see the Star War movies, since those are the only ones I ever can keep track of when they come out. The Post is a local theater kinda deal. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #83

They should also make a Boba Fett movie, but with the following conditions:

- dont make Boba sympathetic
    - dont show his face
    - dont have a plot where it is revealed that he has in fact a heart of gold

Make a full fleged Boba-is-a-jerk-awesome-badass movie. You frame your protagonist the same way Dredd (2012) was framed.

Something about one simple bounty being more than he expected when he has to face off against one of the last Jedi Master in exile. Hell, if you want to make the fans swoon, make that Crippled but Alive Mace Windu

24. - Top - End - #84

[snip]
    - dont show his face
    That's an odd one.

25. - Top - End - #85

That's an odd one.
    Nop. Showing his face humanizes him. Boba Fett should be like Dredd

26. - Top - End - #86

Nop. Showing his face humanizes him. Boba Fett should be like Dredd
    But he's not like Dredd. We've effectively seen his face. Hell, we've seen him as a kid.

27. - Top - End - #87

I’d say he was pretty humanized when we saw him as a child holding his dad’s severed head...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I’d say he was pretty humanized when we saw him as a child holding his dad’s severed head...
    Indeed. And we've seen him grow up as a bounty hunter in the Clone Wars TV show. Kid was kind of damaged by that event, shockingly enough.

I do think a Boba Fett movie could do well though. Don't have to give him a heart of gold, but give him principals, discipline, something that makes him more than just a thug with a gun and a jetpack.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

- dont make Boba sympathetic
    - dont show his face
    - dont have a plot where it is revealed that he has in fact a heart of gold

Make a full fleged Boba-is-a-jerk-awesome-badass movie. You frame your protagonist the same way Dredd (2012) was framed.

Something about one simple bounty being more than he expected when he has to face off against one of the last Jedi Master in exile. Hell, if you want to make the fans swoon, make that Crippled but Alive Mace Windu
    Wow, so edgy! Should he wear black armor as well? Haven't we grown past this "Badass jerk with no feelings" phase of characters? It feels, looks and sounds so juvenile. Give real humans.

No one is like that in real life.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Indeed. And we've seen him grow up as a bounty hunter in the Clone Wars TV show. Kid was kind of damaged by that event, shockingly enough.

I do think a Boba Fett movie could do well though. Don't have to give him a heart of gold, but give him principals, discipline, something that makes him more than just a thug with a gun and a jetpack.
    So make him a Mandalorian?

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Wow, so edgy! Should he wear black armor as well? Haven't we grown past this "Badass jerk with no feelings" phase of characters? It feels, looks and sounds so juvenile. Give real humans.

No one is like that in real life.
    Hate to break it to you, but ya, there are people in real life who are just straight up jerks. Also, it its done well you wind up looking like Dredd, which is always a good thing.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-02-07 at 04:56 PM.
    Show