New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Can we just disable the swear word filter?

Could we just make a "no swearing" rule and report the occasional person who ignores it?

That seems a lot easier. Posters who can't follow that simple rule are a lot less frequent than posters who have to keep saying things like "prepare the gun/crossbow for firing by setting the action into the ready position" or "His full name was Richard but everyone called him by his nickname that wasn't 'Rick'".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just disable the swear word filter?

You're allowed to bypass the filter for non-offensive uses of a word. For example, you can say "The gunslinger cocked their gun and aimed".
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    You're allowed to bypass the filter for non-offensive uses of a word. For example, you can say "The gunslinger cocked their gun and aimed".
    Why not just let non-offensive be the default and punish the offensive uses as they occur?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This sounds like far more work for the moderators without an increase in resources dedicated towards the performance of their duties. An automatic filter, while it must be configured by someone and introduces a bias in that way, is at least consistently applied.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Why not just let non-offensive be the default and punish the offensive uses as they occur?
    Because it puts more work on the mods as well as failing to prevent accidental uses. By placing the filter there, it's slightly more inconvenient but, instead of people being able to use the words offensively in just a fit of poor judgement, they have to consciously bypass the filter for every swear word they use.

...is what I think the reason is. I'll wait for a mod to come give the actual reason.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Because it puts more work on the mods as well as failing to prevent accidental uses. By placing the filter there, it's slightly more inconvenient but, instead of people being able to use the words offensively in just a fit of poor judgement, they have to consciously bypass the filter for every swear word they use.

...is what I think the reason is. I'll wait for a mod to come give the actual reason.
    Also, not everyone is necessarily aware of exactly which words count as “swear words “. The filters offers a convenient way of informing people that a particular word is inappropriate.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Could we just make a "no swearing" rule and report the occasional person who ignores it?
    Sheriff: No. As noted above, you can work around the filter for non-profanity purposes. We're aware that the filter is inconvenient, but it serves useful forum regulation purposes.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex