New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Who is everyone's favorite villain

Iago. But if we're sticking to OotS villains, I'd have to go with Xykon for those rare moments when he drops the goofy veneer to be absolutely terrifying. (Xykon is a superior villain to Tarquin because Xykon is everything Tarquin wishes he was, and owns it completely)
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-02-08 at 09:48 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Who is everyone's favorite villain

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I know I already picked, but I want to give a shout-out to the villian Sabine

especially for giving advice to Vaarsuvius, when V was being kept by the ICC

I really like the IFCC. they do not get enough screen time for the majors they are supposed to be.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    I really like the IFCC. they do not get enough screen time for the majors they are supposed to be.
    I do believe that is by design (both In-Universe and Out).
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I feel I must nod for:

"A beloved character", "Hipster tool", "Team Player", "Hobbit fajita", "A bumbling sidekick", "A seasoned warrior", "A sexy shoeless god of cooking", "A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR", "Robespierre",'The 8th dwarf, "Stabby"', "Still alive","The Belkster", "The most badass halfling EVER", "Daddy", "The Handsome Halfling", "A man with a REAL class", "Ali S. Fakenamington", "Badass ranger", "Brokeass ranger", "The New and Improved"

Belkar Bitterleaf, aka Little Death's Helper!

Wait, not a villian?

He's a hero?
    Belkar is most definitely evil, and almost certainly fated to die on the deep end of the alignment pool (whether his soul gets a shot at "sexy shoeless god of war" is unknown). I'd claim this is sufficient for villainhood and sufficient to prohibit the title "hero". Maybe he can claim to be an anti-hero. I think he should be allowed to compete in an likely win this event.

Tarquin is a fan favorite and plenty of the playground were willing to ignore his evils and it basically took the "flaming slaves" bit to admit he's a bad guy (this seems to happen a lot with the Giant's villains).

Redcloak is an almost justified villain (he might even be justified, just that he is still evil through and through). This makes him vastly more sympathetic.

Xykon is the official villain for a reason, and his little speeches simply push him into "proper" villainhood.

I still prefer Belkar.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

she deserve it, he's a villain.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Belkar is most definitely evil, and almost certainly fated to die on the deep end of the alignment pool (whether his soul gets a shot at "sexy shoeless god of war" is unknown). I'd claim this is sufficient for villainhood and sufficient to prohibit the title "hero". Maybe he can claim to be an anti-hero. I think he should be allowed to compete in an likely win this event.

Tarquin is a fan favorite and plenty of the playground were willing to ignore his evils and it basically took the "flaming slaves" bit to admit he's a bad guy (this seems to happen a lot with the Giant's villains).

Redcloak is an almost justified villain (he might even be justified, just that he is still evil through and through). This makes him vastly more sympathetic.

Xykon is the official villain for a reason, and his little speeches simply push him into "proper" villainhood.

I still prefer Belkar.
    Belkar is a protagonist and hasn't done anything Evil in weeks, IIRC. While in real life we'd surely consider him one, in the context of the story I think he hardly qualifies as a villain.

Let's look at the dictionary definitions of "villain," though, just to be fair. The first listed definition of "villain" by Merriam-Webster requires opposition to the goals of the heroes, and Belkar rarely opposes the party. I think that definition best fits the way we typically use the word around here.

That said, there are certainly other definitions of "villain" out there. Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines "villain" as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot." That could fit Belkar, although whether he constitutes an "important evil agency in the plot" is up for debate - he's evil and has agency, but is his agency itself evil? His actions generally benefit the heroes, so I'm not sure he qualifies.

Other Merriam-Webster definitions could also fit Death's Lil' Helper, such as "a deliberate scoundrel or criminal" or "one blamed for a particular evil or difficulty." Neither of these seem to fit the context of storytelling, though, so I wouldn't lean on them too heavily.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-02-12 at 10:17 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Villains I love are Sabine, Nale, Thog, and especially Tarquin.

Villains I hate are Bozzok, Durkon*, and especially Kubota and Malack

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post

I still prefer Belkar.
    I don't think the only qualification for being a villain is being evil - otherwise there'd be no need for the word 'villain' because 'evil' would cover it. Certainly every evil character the Order encounters is not a villain in their story, because some are incidental. I think to be a villain in a story implies some evil agency that is opposing the heroes' goals in some way. Belkar, although evil, is largely aligned with the heroes goals (and is a hero) so is not a villain in my book.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2018-02-13 at 03:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar or Xykon.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

If you count belkar as a villain, then belkar deffinitely would be one of my favourites. but redcloak, if we're talking antagonists, Readcloak is goddamn amazing.

Spoiler: Spoilers about redcloak
    Show
    Redcloak manipulates what would typically be the main villain, in a role which would usually be a side villain, hell, he's a redcloak, and yet he's one of the longest surviving villains, with the redshirt role possibly being parodied and full on reversed. He thinks for the goblins, and, from what we've seen, and what i've interpereted, Is trying to use the snarl to threaten the gods into letting goblins live a better, more secure and enjoyable,
    Life, instead of being fodder for heroes to slay, monsters just slaughtered for loot and EXP. He's officially an antagonist, but he has redeeming values. Hell, He's brilliant, He gives traditional DND tropes the middle finger, and He's an amazing source of both comedy AND intrigue. Goddamn, Deep. I might be wrong though.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Miko - qualifies as a villain at least by The Giant's standards - the "Inspector Javert" of OOTS.
    Oh, and when counting antagonists, soon after redcloak, miko fits in. DEFINITELY like javert. There is a DEFINITE comparison between the two.

Spoiler: And for the meme
    Show
    Last edited by Shulk; 2018-02-13 at 12:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shulk View Post
    Oh, and when counting antagonists, soon after redcloak, miko fits in. DEFINITELY like javert. There is a DEFINITE comparison between the two.
    I'm still kinda fuzzy on that.

I am quite fond of Redcloak as well.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I'm still kinda fuzzy on that.

I am quite fond of Redcloak as well.
    You are right to doubt that comparisson. anyways, Yeah, Readcloak is... interesting at least.
    Last edited by Shulk; 2018-02-13 at 12:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Shulk View Post
    You are right to doubt that comparisson. anyways, Yeah, Readcloak is... interesting at least.
    Well the Giant himself makes the comparison so it seems like a fair one to make to me.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I have a hard time choosing.
    Xykon is the absolute evil not-even-trying-to-justify himself type of villain but is also immensly fun.
    Redcloak is a brilliant tragic villain with understandable motives gone too far.
    Tarquin is evil-controlling Elan from an older time.
    Lurkon is a dark reflection of Durkon completely corrupt but the most meticulous and competent villain in the main comic.

Aaaargh, they're all great...
    I am going to go with Lurkon because he doesn't get much appreciation here and because I like his type of dark, deadpan humour.

I don't really consider Belkar a villain of the comic because he is not the source of the problems the heroes have to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I know that the author has... a thing about Javert, but I'm not sure the analogy is all that tight. Javert never assassinates the royals, and isn't actually wrong in suspecting Valjean of various crimes, but he also never rescued the helpless, healed the sick, or found his nemesis conspiring with superiors to break murderers out of prison. Miko has higher highs and lower lows.
    If memory serves Javert does help the helpless when he arrests Thenardier and the Patron-Minette gang he allied with at the cost of Valjean's arrest.
    There is a comparison to be made in that they are both traditionnal heroes in antagonistic roles but where Miko's moral compass was sound (she did act lawfully and goodly) and her perceived importance disproportionnate which doomed her when she could not accept she was wrong, it is Javert's moral compass which was wrong (he equated Law and Good) but he only committed suicide after accepting he had been in the wrong his entire life.

So there is more to them than "Fantasyland Javert" and "19th century France Miko".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    They aren't "majors." They're V's personal villains of relevance only to her, and she has had by far the least focus of the Order.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really consider Belkar a villain of the comic because he is not the source of the problems the heroes have to deal with.
    Oh, I'm pretty sure he indirectly created a couple. Then again, most of the Order do.

If memory serves Javert does help the helpless when he arrests Thenardier and the Patron-Minette gang he allied with at the cost of Valjean's arrest.
    I'm drawing a blank on that episode, but that sounds like picking between two different forms of 'chasing the guilty'. Don't get me wrong, I think Javert is consistent enough in his motives that you can't accuse him of villainy, especially when he's at least as hard on himself as anyone else, but... with the possible exception of letting Valjean go toward the end, I don't think he's an altruist.

Whereas I think Miko starts out as heroic as anyone in the Order, if not more so, and... well, I don't see anything lawful/good about trying to eviscerate Hinjo, for example. I am skeptical that the same person actually would undergo such a rapid deterioration, but certainly as presented there are some very pronounced shifts in her moral/ethical outlook.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    They aren't "majors." They're V's personal villains of relevance only to her, and she has had by far the least focus of the Order.
    They appear to be a threat to the entire world, and the fact that they can yank V out of action at any time makes them dangerous to everyone in the Order, since everyone relies significantly on V’s spell-power during adventuring.

Also, they’re almost certainly one of the nine “sides” in the conflict over the Gates. So that makes them a general threat, not just one to Vaarsuvius.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Also, they’re almost certainly one of the nine “sides” in the conflict over the Gates. So that makes them a general threat, not just one to Vaarsuvius.
    Meh. If they're ever in Roy's presence, they might be a "side."

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

Meh. If they're ever in Roy's presence, they might be a "side."
    Whelp, I guess that rules out The Dark One having any significance to this story.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

Directly? Yeah, I'd say not. His influence in the story is felt by the actions of his minions, particularly the one in the red cloak. Fisticuffs with deities is not a good place for this story to go.

(Which is not to agree with Zimmer; the IFCC's minions, the Linear Guild, have been in Roy's presence multiple times. I will say that I expect the IFCC, like the Dark One, will remain at a remove from the physical events rather than throwing down with Roy at some point.)

22. - Top - End - #52

Am I the only one who think that the IFCC will be the last, strongest and most dangerous enemy in the comic?

You know, when you defeat the main villain (Xykon), resolve his plots (Redcloak, MitD), you think the story is over... and then a more powerfull enemy arise? :O

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

No, you are not.

(I don't think that, but I'd be astounded if you were the only one who did.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-02-14 at 02:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    No, you are not.

(I don't think that, but I'd be astounded if you were the only one who did.)
    Based on very poor statistical analysis, borne primarily of insufficiently large sample pool, I'd say 33% 25% 20% of readers believe IFCC will be the last, strongest and most dangerous enemy in the comic.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-02-14 at 02:50 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    Am I the only one who think that the IFCC will be the last, strongest and most dangerous enemy in the comic?

You know, when you defeat the main villain (Xykon), resolve his plots (Redcloak, MitD), you think the story is over... and then a more powerfull enemy arise? :O
    I hope not, unless they're set for a major character-overhaul between now and then... They're quite bland.

I feel it would be an anti-climax for the Order to finally foil the well-developed evil plans of Xykon and Redcloak, the cool, unique, interesting villains we've been following for all these years in a tremendous final battle, and even revealing the MitD's identity... Only for there to be an epilogue featuring the whacky adventures of Lee, Whosit and The Purple One, generic cloaked fiends numbers 1,2 and 3.

(I have legitimately never bothered to commit their names to memory.)
    Last edited by Euclidodese; 2018-02-14 at 02:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidodese View Post
    Their names are based on their alignment : LEe is Lawful Evil, NEro is Neutral Evil and CEdrik is Chaotic Evil. They're THAT bland.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I hope not, unless they're set for a major character-overhaul between now and then... They're quite bland.

I feel it would be an anti-climax for the Order to finally foil the well-developed evil plans of Xykon and Redcloak, the cool, unique, interesting villains we've been following for all these years in a tremendous final battle, and even revealing the MitD's identity... Only for there to be an epilogue featuring the whacky adventures of Lee, Whosit and The Purple One, generic cloaked fiends numbers 1,2 and 3.

I mean, it depends on who you ask. I find Xykon entertaining enough, but he's also a goofball who treats all of it like a game, is barely aware that Roy (never mind the Order) exists, and has no appreciation for details of the plot like The Snarl, and I'm just not as fond of Redcloak as a lot of other readers are. So while there's definitely some build up to pay off there, to me it would be hard to make a climactic climax out of them.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

They are quite literally interchangeable, and barely characterized.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

They are quite literally interchangeable, and barely characterized.
    Which is weird since they have a team dynamic.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Which is weird since they have a team dynamic.
    One that we’re told about rather than shown. Not a great sign.